PDA

View Full Version : Duke-UCONN Football

formerdukeathlete
09-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Punting - incredibly short punts for Duke.

Lewis is sacked easily - no scramble.

Lewis passing also on the miss.

add interceptions, fumble.

I think we should have given / should give Asack more pt at qb - too rigid in our game plan.

Lewis should become second string if Asack can perform.

any thoughts out there?

dukie8
09-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Punting - incredibly short punts for Duke.

Lewis is sacked easily - no scramble.

Lewis passing also on the miss.

add interceptions, fumble.

I think we should have given / should give Asack more pt at qb - too rigid in our game plan.

any thoughts out there?

all of the blather about how good the coach is and how this year the team finally will turn it around is turning out to be...blather. losing at home to uconn hopefully seals roof's fate at duke.

SoCalDukeFan
09-01-2007, 05:28 PM
I hope Roof turns it around but doubt that he will.

Next four games on the road.

SoCal

dukie8
09-01-2007, 05:30 PM
I hope Roof turns it around but doubt that he will.

Next four games on the road.

SoCal

it looks like he is in good shape for running the table with Ls (again). this makes alleva's extension of roof look even that more ridiculous. the detriot lions need to hire him...

AtlBluRew
09-01-2007, 05:33 PM
45-14. 45??????

I'm saddened for our student-athletes.

wilson
09-01-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm certainly disappointed, but not at all surprised. At least my new team, the mighty Pirates of ECU, made a very respectable showing in Blacksburg today.

Also, props to App State. Winning in the Big House, no matter how you slice it, is a big deal.

YmoBeThere
09-01-2007, 05:47 PM
until just a few minutes ago. I thought they would be competitive. Boy was I wrong...I think the 493-168 total yards tells the story. If you don't need to look at the scoreboard. Way too early to pack it in, but a decent showing against UConn was in order.

buddy
09-01-2007, 06:31 PM
It could have been worse; however, the defense made some good plays in the first half. But when your longest punt is 30 yards (with the roll), when you can't kick to end zone, and when you can't make first downs, you put incredible pressure on your defense. I can't believe they have no punter! Also, late in the first half we had third and one on the UConn 44. So we ran a sweep. OK, but when that didn't work they quick kicked. Pearman (and Roof) indicated to their offensive line that they have no confidence in them with that play calling. When you have lost 20 in a row, why not take a chance? Even though there is a new offensive coordinator, the offense remains the same--run on first down, run on second down, throw on third and long. Very predictable, very boring.

Ted Rood is a nice guy, but he can't get it done. But neither will anyone else until Duke realizes that you can't field a winning football team with 1100 board scores.

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Ted Rood is a nice guy, but he can't get it done. But neither will anyone else until Duke realizes that you can't field a winning football team with 1100 board scores.

Exactly. The horse is dead, bless his heart. I'm getting off.
Love, Ima

cspan37421
09-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I noticed the score at 18-14 in the third. I was intrigued but not surprised.

There seemed to be quite a bit of confidence expressed on this board that we could handle UConn, and that we could pencil it in as a likely (if not sure) W. I could not believe it. UConn may have been a recent Div I entrant as far as football goes, but they've done well and built a respectable team quickly. On balance I would say the error was in underestimating UConn, not overestimating ourselves.

So, will Roof get fired mid-season, then his replacement picks up a couple Ws and some competitive losses to great teams, and he gets the job, and we do the whole thing over again? Seems like we've had a long history of finding coaches who can do a halfway decent job with someone else's recruits, but not with their own.

I have no idea what the solution is, except this. Find a coach with the following characteristics: already established winner, not far from retirement, huge ego needs, wants to be known for ability to turn around bad programs, and wants to get the glory of doing so one more time before he retires.

I was going to say get Lou Holtz but I sense that for all the good he does, something always ends up not smelling quite right by the time he leaves. Any other ideas? Might Pete Carroll be tired yet of dominating at USC? (dream on!). Maybe when Petrino is done with the Falcons....

jimsumner
09-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Some disjointed thoughts.

Duke wasn't physically outmanned today, as has been the case in many recent losses. But the execution simply wasn't there. This did not look like a team that had been practicing for weeks. More like, "Hi, I'm Ryan, What's your name." The offense couldn't convert on 3rd and short. Duke simply couldn't sustain any offense.

Duke's defense did a great job of keeping UConn out of the end zone in the first half but they just ran out of gas in the second. I know you've heard this before but it doesn't mean it isn't true. You simply can't keep your D on the field 40 minutes without bad things happening.

Duke's youth on D was apparent. Duke had lots of problems with misdirection plays. Any decently-executed play-action fake, sent Duke's defenders scurrying all over the place. Containment on Lorenzen was very poor. An interior rush would flush him out the pocket but he would turn the scamble into positive yards.

That said, Patrick Bailey can play on my team any day of the year. Leon Wright and Vincent Rey had their moments. But Duke can't force turnovers. The one interception-by Charles Robinson-was a result of one of Lorenzen's few bad throws. He overthrew his receiver by five yards.

Speaking of Lorenzen. He was very impressive, with his arm, his legs, and his head. After the game Robinson admitted that Duke had prepared to stop the run and was surprised by how well and how often Lorenzen passed. Duke did a good job on Brown for three quarters. His final stats were deceptive.

You don't lose by 30 points because of lousy punting but this is still a major problem area. Duke isn't good enough to give other teams a significant field-position advantage every game and that is what's happening. Neither of these guys seems to have any explosion, any lift on their kicks. Virtually the entire second half was played in Duke territory and the kicking game was a large part of that. Roof's disgust with the punters after the game was palpable.

Roof looked really bedraggled after the game. He refused to discuss what he had told his team after the game but there wasn't a lot of fire visible at the post-game press conference. Maybe he had used it all up on the sidelines and/or the locker room.

Where to go from here? Roof's post-game observation was that Duke needed to get a lot better, real soon. I'm not sure how. Duke simply has to get much better execution down the road and with four road games coming up, it's going to be difficult. The only ray of hope I can find is that last season Duke followed an opening-game, home stinker with one of its best performances of the season, at Wake Forest. Duke is going to need that kind of turnaround next week or this thing could spiral out of control in a hurry. I've been through too many coaching death-watches to look forward to another one. It gets real ugly.

I'm not going to blow any smoke here. It was a thoroughly dispiriting afternoon. Here's to better days.

watzone
09-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Well said Jim. It's hard to find any positives. Our fanbase was visibly distraught on the way to their cars. Duke competed in the first half, but whatever adjustments they may have made at the half, well ....

dukie8
09-01-2007, 07:39 PM

Duke wasn't physically outmanned today, as has been the case in many recent losses. But the execution simply wasn't there. This did not look like a team that had been practicing for weeks. More like, "Hi, I'm Ryan, What's your name." The offense couldn't convert on 3rd and short. Duke simply couldn't sustain any offense.

Duke's defense did a great job of keeping UConn out of the end zone in the first half but they just ran out of gas in the second. I know you've heard this before but it doesn't mean it isn't true. You simply can't keep your D on the field 40 minutes without bad things happening.

Duke's youth on D was apparent. Duke had lots of problems with misdirection plays. Any decently-executed play-action fake, sent Duke's defenders scurrying all over the place. Containment on Lorenzen was very poor. An interior rush would flush him out the pocket but he would turn the scamble into positive yards.

That said, Patrick Bailey can play on my team any day of the year. Leon Wright and Vincent Rey had their moments. But Duke can't force turnovers. The one interception-by Charles Robinson-was a result of one of Lorenzen's few bad throws. He overthrew his receiver by five yards.

Speaking of Lorenzen. He was very impressive, with his arm, his legs, and his head. After the game Robinson admitted that Duke had prepared to stop the run and was surprised by how well and how often Lorenzen passed. Duke did a good job on Brown for three quarters. His final stats were deceptive.

You don't lose by 30 points because of lousy punting but this is still a major problem area. Duke isn't good enough to give other teams a significant field-position advantage every game and that is what's happening. Neither of these guys seems to have any explosion, any lift on their kicks. Virtually the entire second half was played in Duke territory and the kicking game was a large part of that. Roof's disgust with the punters after the game was palpable.

Roof looked really bedraggled after the game. He refused to discuss what he had told his team after the game but there wasn't a lot of fire visible at the post-game press conference. Maybe he had used it all up on the sidelines and/or the locker room.

Where to go from here? Roof's post-game observation was that Duke needed to get a lot better, real soon. I'm not sure how. Duke simply has to get much better execution down the road and with four road games coming up, it's going to be difficult. The only ray of hope I can find is that last season Duke followed an opening-game, home stinker with one of its best performances of the season, at Wake Forest. Duke is going to need that kind of turnaround next week or this thing could spiral out of control in a hurry. I've been through too many coaching death-watches to look forward to another one. It gets real ugly.

I'm not going to blow any smoke here. It was a thoroughly dispiriting afternoon. Here's to better days.

the ray of hope is that this will speed the process of tossing roof and getting a new coach. a good coach -- even a mediocre one -- doesn't get blown out by that uconn team at home. also, we don't have to read too many more ignorant rants on here about how this year will be different.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-01-2007, 07:43 PM
That second half absolutely sucked.

Bluedawg
09-01-2007, 07:56 PM
After the first drive, which was an outstanding drive, the offense fell apart. They didn't put together an effective drive the rest of the game. The defense did a good job, although I prefer a defense that is 3 and out instead of one that bends. A bending defense will collapse at the end, which is what Duke's did.

The team still needs a lot of work.

Bluedawg
09-01-2007, 07:58 PM

I agree, but Ted has to let him be QB and not just run out the clock.

CameronBlue
09-01-2007, 08:05 PM

I'd agree on all points except whether we're witnesses to a death-watch for a coach or for a program. Okay, that's an emotional response to the outcome of a very-disappointing game that began with such promise. But the question, heretofore, not a serious topic of debate--Can any Division I program survive as many winless seasons in so short a span of time as Duke without questioning the logic for its very existence--will become central to any discussion about Duke's football fortunes and future if indeed Duke goes winless again this year. Yes we're all aware of the requirements and constraints placed upon ACC member schools--the argument about Duke continuing in Division 1 has been made and made well many times over. I don't wish to dredge up that tired issue again. But the prospect of Duke and its fanbase suffering winless or near-winless seasons in perpetuity is more than I can bear at the moment. Elon, Gardner-Webb, even James Madison, these are the schools Duke should be competing against.

sagegrouse
09-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Didn't see the game -- but here's my summary. All eleven starters returned on offense. The offense scored seven points at home against UConn. End of story?

Bob Green
09-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Didn't see the game -- but here's my summary. All eleven starters returned on offense. The offense scored seven points at home against UConn. End of story?

I also didn't see the game, but I did wakeup at 0300 on a Sunday morning and follow the game via the Internet. It was a very disappointing start to the season.

cspan37421
09-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I beg to differ with the "we can't keep losing like this and still have football" - because, isn't Columnia U still fielding a team? (Don't know about Prairie View). Besides, as has been said so many times before, if you want to be in the ACC you have to play football. It isn't like those conferences where you have one set of teams for hoops and another set for football. If we think we shouldn't play football in the ACC anymore, we'd have to take our basketball with us. No picking and choosing, according to what I've read. I don't know that anyone wants to pull out of the ACC in basketball. It is a natural league for us both location wise and quality wise. Nothing else would be better, and only the Southern Conference would be closer (than BC, FSU, Miami).

WFU has shown that a school half our size can compete. I don't know when they started, but it seemed that Jim Caldwell was a decent coach, coming in as a Paterno assistant. Jim Grobe has been a great hire for them, but do you think we could snag, as they did, a rising star in the lower ranks? One that thinks their career will be furthered, not hindered, by taking on the challenge of resurrecting the Duke football program? I'm not sure we have the same range of options that most schools do.

jimsumner
09-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Duke does return all 11 starters on offense. But it should be noted that offensive linemen Zach Maurides and Fred Roland are recovering from off-season surgery and are not starting; Maurides was dressed out today but I'm not sure if he played.

And the OL did not cover itself in glory this day.

Lotus000
09-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I think all die-hard Duke fans had (and still have) high hopes coming into this season, but looking at the schedule...how many 'can win' games are there? The UVa game? Maybe the Navy game? The N'Western game?

UConn was a 'can win' game, and in the first quarter and a half, it looked like we could win it...unfortunately, we gave up 45 pts. Forty-Five Points. To UConn. When the score in football could legitimately be a score in basketball (hey, 45 pts. is entirely possible in a defensive, slow game....) something is wrong.

What we need NEED to do is try to get a big-name coach in. Roof was supposed to be an interim coach, and his job turned permanent. We have a new O-Coordinator, wonderful...but what we need is a recruiting monster at the head position, and we just AIN'T got it.

Now granted, you're not going to get the talent-level of kids that Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Florida, The U, and OSU get, but my God, our facilities are amazing, it's a good college experience, and you get one of the best educations in the country. It's not selling ice to an eskimo, for goodness' sake.

I think it's time that the Administration take a long, hard look at our academic requirements and determine if we are comfortable having such a crap-tastic football team year in and year out. The days of Wally Wade are over, and it's a vastly different game now. Duke seems to be living in the past as far as being able to get kids that are able to compete at even the average of D-I football.

OZ
09-01-2007, 09:26 PM
I have been attending Duke football since 1967. The last half today (even with experienced people returning) was as bad as I have ever seen any where.
This is it for me. I will not be back.

wilson
09-01-2007, 09:28 PM
FWIW, I think that admitting defeat with regard to ACC football wouldn't have to be the death knell of Duke basketball. I'm pretty sure the Big East would love to have us as a basketball-only member, and we could play AA football, a la Villanova (or UConn, as recently as a few years ago). I'm of course playing devil's advocate (no pun intended), as a pullout of the ACC would never happen, but it's not impossible.

Methodistman
09-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Took my sons (9 and almost 8) to the game today - great bonding with my boys in the first half. They are more into soccer, but today was the first time they have really paid attention to a football game . . . unfortunately it was with us sitting in the UConvicts section (thanks Duke ticket office). Time and time again in the game (not just 2nd half, mind you) my sons would ask me, "Dad, why did they do that?" I would reply, "I have no idea." As much as the UConvicts were "Terping" about the officials, we did get some favorable calls, but could never do anything with it.

Defensively, our defense really was impressive in the first half. I loved having the opportunity for some give and take with the "Convicts" sitting around me - although UConn could move the ball, the best they could hope for was a field goal - that is a good thing. You could see the wind taken out of the sails in the second half - I have no idea what happened, but all confidence seemed gone in the 3rd quarter. We left midway through the 4th, and my sons could not believe it when I told them the final.

As a side note, it was great to see some of the men's basketball team out there supporting the team. As we were walking around, my 9 year old said, "Hey Dad - isn't that G?" Sure enough, he almost walked into him. I did tell my son to look out for the elbow (low blow - funny, but wrong).

wilson
09-01-2007, 09:47 PM
This is it for me. I will not be back.

I agree. I hate to adopt this attitude with any Duke team, but I feel a lot more passion about ECU (where I recently paid for and earned a degree) football than I do about Duke football right now. It grows tiresome trying to support a team who rather clearly has no legitimate chance at competitiveness. I of course respect the players who are still giving a lot, but I'm not really sure how else I'm supposed to feel. I don't know how the players aren't certifiably insane by now.

Lavabe
09-01-2007, 10:03 PM
That second half absolutely sucked.

Oh great paradigm of optimism, now what do you think the win total will be this year? Devildeac and I want to know.

Cheers,
Lavabe

OZZIE4DUKE
09-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Oh great paradigm of optimism, now what do you think the win total will be this year? Devildeac and I want to know.

Cheers,
Lavabe

3 :D

Lotus000
09-01-2007, 10:35 PM
FWIW, I think that admitting defeat with regard to ACC football wouldn't have to be the death knell of Duke basketball. I'm pretty sure the Big East would love to have us as a basketball-only member, and we could play AA football, a la Villanova (or UConn, as recently as a few years ago). I'm of course playing devil's advocate (no pun intended), as a pullout of the ACC would never happen, but it's not impossible.

Maybe we can pull out our basketball team from the ACC, akin to Notre Dame's ability---somehow---to play ind. in football, but in the Big East in all other sports (a practice I think it, in a word STUPID...that is, for the Big East to allow them to do that). We'd rake in money if we had our own TV contracts!

wilson
09-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Maybe we can pull out our basketball team from the ACC, akin to Notre Dame's ability---somehow---to play ind. in football, but in the Big East in all other sports (a practice I think it, in a word STUPID...that is, for the Big East to allow them to do that). We'd rake in money if we had our own TV contracts!

I heartily agree with you. ESPN doesn't fall all over themselves to televise all of our basketball games because we're in the ACC. It's because we're Duke. We could schedule kuralonna, State, whoever else, etc. as non-conference opponents, thus shoring up out perennial NCAA profile (not to mention the strength of a Big East/whatever conference schedule), while also maintaining a solid overall athletic profile and building an at least entertaining football season each year.

YmoBeThere
09-01-2007, 10:42 PM
we are at the same point as Notre Dame in this early part of the season. GT made them look bad.

Bob Green
09-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Leaving the ACC would be a very bad move. We wouldn't "rake in the money" with zero games on our schedule against Carolina, State, Wake Forest, Virginia, Clemson, Maryland, Georgia Tech, & Florida State. Oh yeah, those other "new" ACC schools too!

Duke will never leave the ACC!

Patrick Yates
09-01-2007, 10:47 PM
If Ted Roof is still the coach on Monday morning, the Duke administration has no intention of feilding a winning team. None. You cannot allow a score like this in one of the few winnable home games.

If ASU can go to the Big House and Win, Duke can darn sure win a few games every year. Regardless of what went before, the entire coaching staff has to be replaced after a winless year. Letting recruits mature is bull plonky. Allowing this type of performance to go unpunished is tantamount to endorsing it.

Again, if Ted Roof is still the coach on Monday, something or someone at Duke is intentionally trying to field a losing team.

Patrick Yates

jimsumner
09-01-2007, 11:04 PM
"Again, if Ted Roof is still the coach on Monday, something or someone at Duke is intentionally trying to field a losing team."

With apologies to John McEnroe, you cannot be serious.

gep
09-01-2007, 11:16 PM
I've been a Coach Roof fan since the first game he was named "interim" head coach after that Wake Forest "disaster"... and have continued to support him. After I saw the first half score (internet scoreboard only), I had two thoughts... (1) here we go again (meaning... lead, then lose), and (2) maybe this is really the season to turn this around. Then, the second half "disaster". I only saw the final score, but someone else posted the total yards... this, in addition to the score, maybe this is the "disaster" for Coach Roof too. Someone else mentioned "half-time adjustments"... I'm thinking, if Duke was competitive in the first half, why make any adjustments? Just continue the good play, and adjust to UConn as necessary. What happened in the second half? I know I didn't see the game, and only comment from what I saw in the boxscore. I really think this is a coach's responsibility... not the players (see what Coach K did for the nba all-stars that other recent coaches have not been able to do). As much as I wanted to give Coach Roof his "time", I'm really beginning to think he's not the right coach for Duke.

Patrick Yates
09-02-2007, 12:20 AM
"Again, if Ted Roof is still the coach on Monday, something or someone at Duke is intentionally trying to field a losing team."

With apologies to John McEnroe, you cannot be serious.

When making any type of decsion, one must way the positive vs the negative. In football, graduation rates are nice, but ultimately a coach's future is weighed on whether he wins or loses.

Roof (and to attach the lable "coach" is absurd) has many negatives when it comes to on field performance. Indeed listing them here would be foolhardy. What are his positives to counterbalence these negatives? Name a single on-field Ted Roof moment. Near losses are a myth. There are wins, and there are losses, and there is no middle ground.

Someone, please give me a reason for Roof to continue as the person with the title "head coach of Duke football." Again, you can not call him a coach, because based on the on-field return, he is not coaching in any way, shape or form.

Some of you will say firing Roof by Monday is a knee jerk reaction. I would counter that it is the only option available to Duke. For decades, since Spurrier left, it has been alleged that Duke did not really care about football and was not trying to win. Firing Roof, after yet another crushing dissappointment (and let's not pretend that his firing would be based on this one disaster), would be a signal to the football world that Duke is indeed serious and that the days of being the keystone cops of football are over. Sure, name one of Roof's assistants as the interim coach. But make it clear that it was indeed an INTERIM situation and that anything short of 3-5 wins would mean that said interim coach would not even be CONSIDERED for the job. This would give Duke a season to evaluate coaches (and this board should not even bother posting any delusions about luring the ASU coach, he will take a real job in a mid-major power this year when the coach of said mid-major power is poached by a BCS elligible team) and choose the appropriate successor. Duke has not conducted a true coaching search for many years. Given the pool of mid-major success, and Spurrier's assent after taking and succeeding at Duke, surely some ambitious mid-major coach will jump at the opportunity to coach Duke and prove his worth.

Firing Roof now would put every mid-major coach on notice that Duke was MAYBE serious about winning, and that the job is open. Duke is officially a joke in football. To change this, drastic actions have to be taken. If the admin won't take them, it is time for alumni and fans to take actions. Stop supporting the team. Do not blame kids for not going to the game. At this point, we must blame those fans who continue to condone, indeed, endorse, abject failure.

Patrick Yates

Patrick Yates
09-02-2007, 12:25 AM
we are at the same point as Notre Dame in this early part of the season. GT made them look bad.

Last Year ND went to a BCS bowl. Numerous seniors graduated. Every, and I do mean every, single media outlet that gives even a passing nod to covering NCAA fb has accurately predicted that ND was in for a down year. It is called rebuilding. In fact, what ND is doing is the definition of rebuilding. They brought in a class loaded with offensive studs to replace the departed seniors. They will take their lumps this year, an whale on folks for the next couple of years. In the current HS class, ND has even lured some Defensive players, which was the only knock on last year's top-10 recruiting class. I highly doubt Duke brought in a single player last year that ND seriously evaluated. See the difference?

ND will lose this year. But they have hope for the future. There is no hope in Durham. There is no rational basis for believing that Duke will improve under Roof. None.

Patrick Yates

dukie8
09-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Last Year ND went to a BCS bowl. Numerous seniors graduated. Every, and I do mean every, single media outlet that gives even a passing nod to covering NCAA fb has accurately predicted that ND was in for a down year. It is called rebuilding. In fact, what ND is doing is the definition of rebuilding. They brought in a class loaded with offensive studs to replace the departed seniors. They will take their lumps this year, an whale on folks for the next couple of years. In the current HS class, ND has even lured some Defensive players, which was the only knock on last year's top-10 recruiting class. I highly doubt Duke brought in a single player last year that ND seriously evaluated. See the difference?

ND will lose this year. But they have hope for the future. There is no hope in Durham. There is no rational basis for believing that Duke will improve under Roof. None.

Patrick Yates

i think that the original poster just meant that both are 0-1. i have been ranting on here for the past year that roof needs to go. nobody who can coach goes 0-fer 3 years. nobody. you can get a volunteer to do that.

i also disagree that it an "impossible" job. nobody expects duke to be in a bcs bowl year in and year out. all that is expected is to win a couple of non-conference games (uconn should have been a lay-up), win a couple of acc games and every 5 or 6 years squeak into one of the bowls for teams with a 6-5 record. that's it and everyone would be happy. if spurrier could win the acc with less facilities, then a lesser coach should be able to accomplish this light request. clearly, roof is not the guy to do so.

JBDuke
09-02-2007, 02:21 AM
A bad loss to start the season has brought out the nattering nabobs of negativism. The usual suspects have shown up with statements about how Duke can't win unless it lowers its academic standards, or Duke can't win unless it gets rid of Coach Roof, or Duke can't win in any case and should drop out of Division I-A and play I-AA ball.

All of these topics have been covered before. All have been argued ad nauseum. As this thread has degenerated into a rehashing of all these topics, it is now LOCKED. If you have something to post about the Duke-UCONN game, please create a new thread.

Unless directed otherwise by the admins, or convinced otherwise by my fellow mods, I will continue to squelch threads or delete individual posts that have nothing new to say about the woes of Duke football. It's painful enough to live through a game like today without having to put up with a bunch of gloom-and-doom types foaming at the mouth and spouting their pet theories about why Duke can't win.

THIS THREAD IS LOCKED.