View Full Version : Kurt Roper to Florida for the OC Job

loran16
12-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Per numerous reports. Stay tuned.

uh_no
12-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Per numerous reports. Stay tuned.

in case anyone is curious....

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/23/report-florida-meets-with-duke-offensive-coordinator-kurt-roper/

CameronBornAndBred
12-23-2013, 02:00 PM
As much as I loved to hate him, he has shown his worth in the last two seasons. (Or at least the last season and a half.) Florida definitely needs help, but I hope they find it elsewhere. If Roper goes, I hope it is for a head coach job and not the same position at another school.

budwom
12-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Nice job to interview for, but that's a sinking ship and just about everyone knows it. I think he'll stay where he is, or
take a head coaching job someplace, but I don't see him leaving for the S. S. Muschamp...

Bob Green
12-23-2013, 02:55 PM
I don't like the timing. We don't need the churn in the days leading up to the Bowl Game.

NYBri
12-23-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't like the timing. We don't need the churn in the days leading up to the Bowl Game.

I get what you're sayin', but this season's cake is baked as a huge success in my mind. A bowl win is just icing.

I would have been more concerned if this rumor had emerged with two weeks left before the season ended.

killerleft
12-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I get what you're sayin', but this season's cake is baked as a huge success in my mind. A bowl win is just icing.

I would have been more concerned if this rumor had emerged with two weeks left before the season ended.

We need more fans like you who are satisfied with less.

loran16
12-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Kurt Roper has taken the job at Florida. Bruce Feldman reports he'll still coach the bowl game.

Dukehky
12-24-2013, 04:37 PM
That's a big time job, don't blame him at all for wanting to take it, because if Florida's offense isn't terrible next year, he'll get tons of credit. I'm glad he's going to stick around for the bowl game and see this historic season out.

My vote for replacement is Scottie Montgomery. Cut's got in under control, and White is going to pay what he needs to pay to get a great OC.

uh_no
12-24-2013, 05:04 PM
That's a big time job, don't blame him at all for wanting to take it, because if Florida's offense isn't terrible next year, he'll get tons of credit. I'm glad he's going to stick around for the bowl game and see this historic season out.

My vote for replacement is Scottie Montgomery. Cut's got in under control, and White is going to pay what he needs to pay to get a great OC.

I vote for DBR by committee....one poll per play.

CameronBornAndBred
12-24-2013, 05:05 PM
I do appreciate him sticking through to see an excellent job finished, although I can see how it is easier for an assistant to stay on as opposed to a guy going to a HC job. (Like Cut did when he came to Duke.) Roper is heading back to the SEC, where he has spent much of his career, can't blame him for that. It will be fun to see what direction Duke goes with the hire, and how it shapes the field next year.

Indoor66
12-24-2013, 05:10 PM
I do appreciate him sticking through to see an excellent job finished, although I can see how it is easier for an assistant to stay on as opposed to a guy going to a HC job. (Like Cut did when he came to Duke.) Roper is heading back to the SEC, where he has spent much of his career, can't blame him for that. It will be fun to see what direction Duke goes with the hire, and how it shapes the field next year.

I wish him the best of success at Florida. We all have to follow our heart and our own hopes and wishes. We will be fine. I trust Cut.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-24-2013, 05:17 PM
As disappointing as it can be for someone to leave the staff, it's also an affirmation of the increased success for the program. The football staff has been remarkably stable. When worthy assistants have left, Coach Cutcliffe has upgraded and reorganized with subsequent hires.

SoCalDukeFan
12-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Cut does not hire Lame Kiffin.

SoCal

CameronBornAndBred
12-24-2013, 05:26 PM

SoCal
I'll start practicing my "Fire Kiffin" yell.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-24-2013, 05:52 PM

SoCal
Somehow I do not even see them in the same room when discussions about jobs take place.

OldPhiKap
12-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Good luck Coach Roper, finish strong for us!

No reason to leave any plays in the bag.

devildeac
12-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Looks like it's official:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10192070/florida-gators-hire-kurt-roper-duke-blue-devils-oc

Best of luck to him. And best of luck to us getting ready for the CFA Bowl and our new hire.

FerryFor50
12-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Is Duke football Florida's coaching farm system?

Bob Green
12-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Congratulations and good luck to Coach Kurt Roper! I'm anxiously awaiting the speculation on who will be the new hire for the staff.

devildeac
12-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Congratulations and good luck to Coach Kurt Roper! I'm anxiously awaiting the speculation on who will be the new hire for the staff.

In Cut I trust. I'd be very interested in hearing any thoughts/speculation (w/o rumor-mongering, of course:o) from folks who know these things far better than me who Cut might ask/interview given his extensive connections? Steve Logan? Jim Grobe? Scottie Montgomery may get some run but he might be a bit young/inexperienced for the OC position at this time.

budwom
12-25-2013, 10:59 AM
In Cut I trust. I'd be very interested in hearing any thoughts/speculation (w/o rumor-mongering, of course:o) from folks who know these things far better than me who Cut might ask/interview given his extensive connections? Steve Logan? Jim Grobe? Scottie Montgomery may get some run but he might be a bit young/inexperienced for the OC position at this time.

I believe Scottie is about the same age, (and has equal experience), as Roper was when he got the job...mid thirties...

PDDuke85
12-25-2013, 11:28 AM
A good chess player is always thinking 5 moves ahead. I wonder if Scottie Montgomery was brought in, when he was brought in, in anticipation of the eventual departure of Kurt Roper?

Merry Christmas all.

CameronBornAndBred
12-25-2013, 01:13 PM
How safe will Roper's job be if Florida has anything less than an Auburnesque season next year? Muschamp nearly had his own butt thrown out the door, but they opted to go for the assistants instead. Many people wanted him gone too, so unless they make some amazing waves in the SEC next year, I imagine his seat is going to be hot all year long. Is K.R. setting himself up for a one year visit?

devildeac
12-25-2013, 01:40 PM
My son-in-law thinks this guy is a possibility, considering his connection/s with Cut:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tee_Martin

Perhaps as QB coach, with Scottie as the WR coach/OC but with Cut being the "real" OC calling/directing plays.

devildeac
12-25-2013, 01:41 PM
How safe will Roper's job be if Florida has anything less than an Auburnesque season next year? Muschamp nearly had his own butt thrown out the door, but they opted to go for the assistants instead. Many people wanted him gone too, so unless they make some amazing waves in the SEC next year, I imagine his seat is going to be hot all year long. Is K.R. setting himself up for a one year visit?

Very real possibility. My son-in-law thought the same thing.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-25-2013, 01:43 PM
I'll be working on my application this afternoon....

Duvall
12-25-2013, 01:44 PM

Montgomery is young, but has been a position coach at Duke and in the NFL for eight seasons, which seems reasonable for a first coordinator gig.

devildeac
12-25-2013, 01:47 PM
I'll be working on my application this afternoon....

I've been waiting for this post. Now we'll see if Cut remembers Ozzie from 2-3 years ago;)...

PDDuke85
12-25-2013, 01:52 PM

Any value added to being an OC in the SEC, albeit for 1 year, before getting that first HC gig?

devildeac
12-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Any value added to being an OC in the SEC, albeit for 1 year, before getting that first HC gig?

I'd guess that if Roper and UF show nice improvement this year and he's fortunate enough to win the Broyles Award this year, then that would bode well for his first HC job.

loran16
12-25-2013, 06:05 PM
I'd guess that if Roper and UF show nice improvement this year and he's fortunate enough to win the Broyles Award this year, then that would bode well for his first HC job.

Broyles Award was already awarded to Pat Narduzzi, the D Coordinator of Michigan State.

That said, if UF was to improve to a 9 win team next year, which it might simply due to regressing from a lower amount of injuries, he might get nominated again.

Newton_14
12-25-2013, 06:51 PM

I think Steve Logan would be a great hire and great fit actually, and since he has been on his new radio show on Saturday's he has nothing but great things to say about Cut and the program. He is a very bright offensive mind with tons of experience in both college as an assistant and head coach, and NFL Europe/NFL as both an Offensive Coordinator and a QB coach.

A quick story from a couple of weeks ago when he was a guest host on the Adam Gold show. I will summarize what he stated. Adam asked him his thoughts on the frosty handshake between Cut and Jimbo Fisher after the ACC Title game. Logan said, well let me tell you exactly what that was all about because I have experienced it first hand while at ECU. The 'big dawgs" coaches love the "little dawgs" coaches as long as you are playing nice and letting them kick your butt regularly each time you play them. They are all jolly and friendly at conference meetings and what not. That changes though, when the little guys start punching back and stop rolling over and just taking it. He then shared a quick story about former NC State and UNC coaches being all lovey dovey to him when he first got to ECU, but then after a few seasons ECU kicked them both in the rear and the friendliness disappeared from both, and on top of that UNC said "we ain't playing you guys anymore". He then brought it back to Duke/FSU, and said look, Duke stopped being a doormat and started playing big boy football. They won 10 games beating Miami and VaTech, then showed up in Charlotte and came out laying the wood to FSU. There was some serious hits being doled out by those kids from Duke, and ol Jimbo got in a huff cause he was expecting Duke to play nice and just roll over. Didn't happen. He finished it by saying "I got news for you Jimbo, get used to it, cause with Cutcliffe they ain't going away".

I loved it. I would hire Logan for the OC job tomorrow were it me. He may turn it down as he has stated he has no interest in coaching again unless the "perfect scenario" presents itself. Not sure if the OC job at Duke would meet his definition, but I would surely ask.

OldPhiKap
12-25-2013, 06:57 PM
^ great story! thanks for posting it.

Cut has made the job an attractive one, as hard a s that might have been to believe a few years ago. We should get some good prospects.

Loved Scotty Montgomery as a player, but would not bump him up "just because" -- if he is the best guy fort he job, then by all means.

wilko
12-25-2013, 10:10 PM
I would hire Logan for the OC job tomorrow were it me. He may turn it down as he has stated he has no interest in coaching again unless the "perfect scenario" presents itself. Not sure if the OC job at Duke would meet his definition, but I would surely ask.

I heard the same thing. I love Coach Logan on the radio.
It would be sad to see him leave the radio, but if he went to Duke I'd find a way to cope with it.

I think Duke offers some very interesting opportunities. It low pressure (as compared to Alabama or Texas) AND affords Honorable coaches the opportunity to pursue the high road with no penalty. How many "Big Boy" football schools would let their leading rusher be dismissed heading into a bowl game. Few I'd bet.

I'd guess "big boy" football with some different pressures would be a welcome change by some coaches

Edouble
12-26-2013, 01:59 AM
Is Duke football Florida's coaching farm system?

Pretty much. We just sent Alex over there too.

devildeac
01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
I'll give merlindevildog91 credit for finding this one:

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78757386/

Best quote from near the end of the article:

“People were telling me to watch the Duke game, but I feel like you can’t really look at the Duke game because they ain’t the same type of players,” Cook said. “People told me to watch the Duke game, I watched the Duke game. Coach Roper is a great coach, but I don’t think Florida has the athletes like Duke got."

Oh, my...

OldPhiKap
01-02-2014, 10:26 PM
I'll give merlindevildog91 credit for finding this one:

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78757386/

Best quote from near the end of the article:

“People were telling me to watch the Duke game, but I feel like you can’t really look at the Duke game because they ain’t the same type of players,” Cook said. “People told me to watch the Duke game, I watched the Duke game. Coach Roper is a great coach, but I don’t think Florida has the athletes like Duke got."

Oh, my...

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Someone spork Merlin and dd, I have to spread the love. What a great find! AND, TRUE!

All kidding aside, that's the opinion of a top top top high school recruit. That is mind-boggling!

throatybeard
08-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Roper features semi-prominently in this week's (18 August) SI w/r/t UF and their coming attempt to bounce back from 4-8.

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2014, 11:43 AM
I wondered about KR's move when he first made it, seemed like a big risk to take with a coach on such a hot seat.
Things are not looking good in Gainesville. That's not to say that Roper would not be hired by Muschamp's replacement, but his job would definitely be up in the air. The is from an ESPN blog on the ACC page.

Unless Florida can run the table the rest of the season, which would include upsets of No. 9 Georgia in Jacksonville, Florida, on Nov. 1 and No. 2 Florida State on the road on Nov. 29, the Will Muschamp era will probably come to an end after four seasons.

The early list of candidates being mentioned for the not-yet-open UF job include Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen, Ole Miss’ Hugh Freeze, Arizona’s Rich Rodriguez and Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/76280/latest-dish-five-things-i-learned-2

OldPhiKap
10-24-2014, 12:49 PM
^^ Funny, I was discussing that same thing at lunch. I would imagine that anyone coming in would likely bring their existing staff.

Scottie seems to be doing a pretty good job, cannot imagine bumping him down to bring KR back (although unlike several on the board, I thought KR did a good job here -- not to reopen that discussion).

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2014, 01:02 PM
WRAL has a post about the upcoming coaching carousel, and Cut of course is heavily featured. He's even mentioned for some NFL looks. Another name tossed into the hat? Scottie Montgomery.

Scott Montgomery, Duke: A Shelby native and former Blue Devil standout receiver, the 36-year-old had NFL stops with Carolina Panthers, Denver and Oakland before joining Duke’s staff in 2006.
Whether he leaves or not, the time very well could arrive when he’s tops on the Duke list to succeed Cutcliffe.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/area-head-coaches-aides-will-be-hot-hiring-targets/14111624/#232KaEwBXJGT1coA.99

budwom
10-24-2014, 01:22 PM
WRAL has a post about the upcoming coaching carousel, and Cut of course is heavily featured. He's even mentioned for some NFL looks. Another name tossed into the hat? Scottie Montgomery.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/area-head-coaches-aides-will-be-hot-hiring-targets/14111624/#232KaEwBXJGT1coA.99

Ho ho ho, I guess they have failed to note he is ALREADY the heir apparent...highest titled job on Cut's staff...As long as he continues to do well, he's very likely to be the guy.
Young, smart, charismatic, Duke grad, African American, lots of NFL experience, what's not to like about Scottie?

devildeac
10-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Ho ho ho, I guess they have failed to note he is ALREADY the heir apparent...highest titled job on Cut's staff...As long as he continues to do well, he's very likely to be the guy.
Young, smart, charismatic, Duke grad, African American, lots of NFL experience, what's not to like about Scottie?

He's too short to coach QBs?

:o:rolleyes:

Acymetric
10-25-2014, 12:37 AM

Seems weird that they completely omitted his NFL coaching experience, doesn't it?

Don't get the Cut to NFL idea (not the first place this has been floated). Does Cut seem remotely like an NFL guy? Much more likely that he would leave to coach at another school, and after turning down Tennessee that option doesn't appear particularly probable either.

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Seems weird that they completely omitted his NFL coaching experience, doesn't it?

Don't get the Cut to NFL idea (not the first place this has been floated). Does Cut seem remotely like an NFL guy? Much more likely that he would leave to coach at another school, and after turning down Tennessee that option doesn't appear particularly probable either.
I thought that was odd too. In fact, I double checked his wiki since I thought maybe he was suggesting Montgomery coached the Panthers instead of the Steelers. His NFL coaching experience is part of what made him a valuable commodity for Coach Cut.