PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoffs 2013

sagegrouse
12-23-2013, 12:17 PM
One week and one game to go in the regular season. Time to post your thoughts on the upcoming NFL Playoffs.

I'll start with three:

1. Ten wins? Ten wins! How did the Cardinals get ten wins this year? Still in a three-way fight for the last playoff spot with New Orleans and the Niners.

2. All four American Conference divisions have been settled: Broncos, Pats, Bengals and Colts. The Dolphins, Ravens and Chargers are all 8-7 and tied for the last wild card slot. KC is in with an 11-4 record.

3. In the NFC no winners have been determined, although the Seahawks and Panthers are in the playoffs. The winner of the Bears-Packers game in CHI will be the North Div winner and the Philly-Dallas winner will be the East Div winner. The loser in both cases stays home..

JasonEvans
12-23-2013, 12:42 PM
The winner of the Bears-Packers game in CHI will be the North Div winner and the Philly-Dallas winner will be the East Div winner. The loser in both cases stays home..

In essence, the playoffs start one week early. This is the NFL's version of a play-in game, isn't it?

-Jason

moonpie23
12-23-2013, 12:48 PM
time for cam to earn his dough….

tommy
12-23-2013, 01:50 PM
In essence, the playoffs start one week early. This is the NFL's version of a play-in game, isn't it?

-Jason

True, although in the AFC, neither the Dolphins, Ravens, nor Chargers have a simple "win and you're in" situation facing them. They ALL need some kind of help. The Dolphins have both the simplest route as well as the greatest number of different routes that can get them there, assuming of course they beat the Jets at home. Which, given the Dolphins' history, and the fact that the Jets may be playing to save Rex Ryan's job, is no sure thing.

OldPhiKap
12-23-2013, 03:31 PM
time for cam to earn his dough….

Cam looked rough, until that last drive. I'll give props, he pulled it together when it counted.

JNort
12-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Hoping that the Seahawks lose and the niners win pushing the Panthers into the number one overall seed and dropping the Seahawks to the 5 seed. We can't play them or New Orleans on the road.

Even crazier: Niners win tonight, Niners lose next week to Arizona and New Orleans loses also? That's three 11-5 teams and only 2 playoff spots.

Blue in the Face
12-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Adam Schefter tweets that Romo is out Sunday (and beyond if Dallas were to win) with a back injury. Makes the sunday night game a lot less interesting. On the bright side, if there's any group of fans that's truly deserving of catching a break, it's Eagles' fans.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/415230451582656512

JasonEvans
12-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Adam Schefter tweets that Romo is out Sunday (and beyond if Dallas were to win) with a back injury. Makes the sunday night game a lot less interesting. On the bright side, if there's any group of fans that's truly deserving of catching a break, it's Eagles' fans.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/415230451582656512

I think Dallas minus Romo (in December) might be a good thing for Dallas. Kyle Orton is not that bad a backup.

-Jason

davekay1971
12-23-2013, 10:09 PM
An unusually bad year for the division-winner-is-in format being brutal. No team in the NFC East or the NFC north deserves to go to the playoffs above New Orleans, San Fran, or Arizona. Okay, the Eagles looked pretty amazing yesterday. Meanwhile, San Fran is currently trying to drop to 10-5…at home…against the Falcons. Still, the idea that the Bears, Packers, or Dallas could waltz into the playoffs while any of those 3 teams sits at home is pretty galling.

Just think, IF San Fran gets it together tonight and wins; then loses to Arizona next week at Arizona, and New Orleans beats the Bucs in the Superdome next week, all 3 could end up at 11-5…with only one going to the playoffs…while the Bears or Packers goes with 7 losses.

PSurprise
12-23-2013, 11:54 PM
I think Dallas minus Romo (in December) might be a good thing for Dallas. Kyle Orton is not that bad a backup.

-Jason

Yes, now that Romo's out, I think Dallas might have a chance. ;)

tommy
12-24-2013, 02:29 AM
With Romo out, I heard a number of . . . surprising names being discussed on talk radio today as potential guys to bring in for Sunday's game and if necessary, beyond. The two most ridiculous were:

a) Tim Tebow, and
b) Brett Favre

Brett Favre!!!

Heck, if you're gonna go for a long-retired vet, just go big and sign Quincy Carter up. Or Craig Morton for that matter.

moonpie23
12-24-2013, 11:40 PM
jake the stone cold assassin del-homie

snowdenscold
12-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Ah, the NFC.

3 seed: 10-6
6 seed: 11-5

4 seed: 8-7-1
5 seed: 12-4

I suppose it doesn't really matter because if they seeded solely on records (w/ 4 divisional winners still automatically in) it would come out the same anyway, but that's kind of odd to look at.
Sorry Arizona (10-6).

sagegrouse
12-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Here are the ESPN headlines on the main page:

Lions oust Schwartz after collapse | Seifert
Bucs can Schiano, GM Dominik | Yasinskas
Shanahan fired by Redskins | Candidates?
Last-place Vikings fire Frazier | Goessling Tomlin eyes changes after refs' missed call
L'ville boots Behanan; Ware may redshirt
Spurs' Parker sorry for controversial photos
Arizona No. 1 for 4th straight week | Top 25
IOC vows safe Games despite bombs | ABC
Fins likely to make changes after late slide
Browns fire Chudzinski 1 year in | Analysis

This looks like five coaches fired -- and "changes" likely with the Dolphins.

sage

Bluedog
12-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Ah, the NFC.

3 seed: 10-6
6 seed: 11-5

4 seed: 8-7-1
5 seed: 12-4

I suppose it doesn't really matter because if they seeded solely on records (w/ 4 divisional winners still automatically in) it would come out the same anyway, but that's kind of odd to look at.
Sorry Arizona (10-6).

Well, it matters because the higher seed gets home field. I'm sure the 49ers would rather play in San Fran than have to go to Lambeau.

snowdenscold
12-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Well, it matters because the higher seed gets home field. I'm sure the 49ers would rather play in San Fran than have to go to Lambeau.

Oh, duh, can't believe I forgot that aspect of it.

Has there ever been any serious talk of changing things so that the above scenario (San Fran would be the 3 seed playing at home) would happen?

DUKIECB
12-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Oh, duh, can't believe I forgot that aspect of it.

Has there ever been any serious talk of changing things so that the above scenario (San Fran would be the 3 seed playing at home) would happen?

This also has an effect on the teams that earned first round byes as well. The second round games are played by seed. The 1 seed plays the lower seeded remaining team while the 2 seed plays the higher seeded remaining team.

For example, in the NFC Seattle is the number 1 seed and could play a team with a better record than the opponent of Carolina. Let's say Philly beats New Orleans and the Niners beat the Packers...in this scenario Seattle has to play a 12 -4 Niners team while Carolina gets the 10 - 6 Philly team.

brevity
12-30-2013, 04:45 PM

I don't know, but there would be serious talk if the heralded NFC East and NFC North had to send their wild-card teams to some junior varsity NFC South or NFC West champion.

This is a great postseason if, like me, you hate East Coast bias. Can't wait to see a pair of West teams battle for supremacy in that podunk, far-flung football outpost known as New York/New Jersey. Their fans watching at home can make a whole day of it and still put their kids to bed at a decent hour.

sagegrouse
12-31-2013, 06:52 PM
As the NFL thread au courant, it's a good place to discuss the coaching changes.

ESPN notes that Norv Turner, offensive coordinator at Cleveland, challenged Browns's ownership and management about changing the coaching staff based on poor 2013 results. The problem, as all Browns' fans recognize, is that the team shed talent without acquiring much in return.

... Turner clearly asked why the staff was told the plan was for a long-term rebuild when the commitment from the front office didn't last a year. Turner also detailed his concern that the coaching staff worked with handicaps given the personnel on the field, the sources said.

Among his points were that the staff was told repeatedly the team was building for 2014, that the running back situation was never solved after the trade of Trent Richardson, the roster was constantly juggled, and the team fired a coach after he had to start three different quarterbacks.

Ah, yes... Good questions Norv.

sagegrouse
01-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Nothing too shabby about this weekend's lineup of games:

Kansas City, which was unbeaten for the first half of the season, is on the road against the resurgent Colts.

A strong Forty-Niner contingent gets to play Green Bay in the late afternoon game Sunday, when it is cooling off :rolleyes: from the forecasted high of -5 (that's minus five degrees Fahrenheit). You'd think the Packers have an advantage, but I think it makes the game just more unpredictable.

The formidable Saints travel to Philadelphia to take on the Eagles tomorrow night (+24 degrees forecast).

The surprising and unpredictable San Diego Chargers travel to Cincinnati to play the Bengals at Sunday midday.

I'll go with the Colts (too much firepower); Niners (better team overcomes the Lambeau Field advantage); Saints (Drew Brees to Jimmy Graham); and the Bengals (a coin toss).

sagegrouse
01-05-2014, 08:57 AM
I believe the Duke-Texas A&M game has spawned a number of imitators. In addition to the Orange Bowl, we now have the KC-Indianapolis game of yesterday, where the team in the blue uniforms staged the comeback. That was a heckuva game, and I feel sorry for the Chiefs.

TJhe second game was a titanic struggle, where Drew Brees and the Saints took care of business, winning on a last-second field goal.

For once, I actually picked the winners, but my pregame analysis was way off target. (Hey! One-for-two is pretty good for El Urogallo.) KC DID show considerable firepower, even after losing Jamaal Charles at the beginning of the game. NO did win, but Drew-Brees-to-Jimmy-Graham was not the weapon I imagined, but perhaps drew a lot of defensive attention, openingup other things for the Saints.