PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 12/23-12/29

pfrduke
12-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Another week, another mixed bag of performances. FSU had a great week, dominating Charlotte and removing UMass from the ranks of the unbeaten. NC State had a nice week as well, picking up a road win in Knoxville. The Devils got back on track with a strong performance against UCLA. And the week would have been great for Notre Dame but for its inability to hold an 8 point lead with :50 to play against Ohio St (the Grant suspension merely adds insult to that injury). Others, however, struggled. UNC lost at home to Texas should have lost at home to Davidson - needing overtime to pull out the win - and lost PJ Hairston, likely for good. Neither Clemson nor Boston College could pick up a win at Auburn. Pitt lost its unbeaten status in what I can only hope is the ugliest major conference game of the season. Maryland lost at home to Boston University. And Virginia Tech got absolutely stomped by VCU - the loss was not surprising, but the margin was discouraging.

This week is quiet until Saturday, with the only mid-week games figuring to be no contest. But Saturday has great basketball, led by Syracuse-Villanova, a battle of undefeated, top 8 teams. The non-conference season is quickly leaving us, but still chances for teams to score resume boosting wins before the ACC battles begin.

Monday confirms that yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus and he gifted you an easy win (knock on wood). I promise this is the last Christmas pun I make here.

[20]Virginia hosts [208]Norfolk State

Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday are dark.

Friday should be a UNC cake walk (although with their performance to date, who really knows).

[18]North Carolina hosts [303]Northern Kentucky

Saturday has six ACC games with several chances to get big wins. While Syracuse-Villanova always figured to be a great matchup, I'm not sure anyone thought coming into the season that it would pit two of the nine remaining unbeatens against each other (the full list, for reference: Syracuse, Iowa State, Villanova, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Toledo, Wichita State, Arizona, Oregon). This has all the makings of a great game. None of us are likely to watch it, however, given that it coincides precisely with Duke-EMU. Wake and BC both have a chance to pick up strong road wins in games where they will be heavy underdogs, traveling to Xavier and VCU, respectively. And NC State can continue what has been a pretty good non-conference season, all things considered, with a win at home over Missouri - the Tigers have lost just one game by just one point, but their performance overall has not been dominant, and the Raleigh venue for this game could even make the Pack a slight favorite.

[114]Virginia Tech hosts [310]UNC-Greensboro
[16]Duke hosts [143]Eastern Michigan
[8]Syracuse hosts [5]Villanova
[85]Wake Forest at [46]Xavier
[136]Boston College at [33]VCU
[64]NC States hosts [49]Missouri

Sunday puts Georgia Tech back on the road, hoping this time to score a win over Charlotte. The Notre Dame-Canisius matchup pits two teams with identical records against each other, while Maryland hopes that Tulsa puts up less of a fight than the Terriers.

[53]Notre Dame hosts [145]Canisius
[103]Georgia Tech at [108]Charlotte
[62]Maryland hosts [167]Tulsa

ACC Non-Conference Record: 121-47
ACC Record vs. BCS: 28-30
America East: 2-0
American Athletic: 4-5
Atlantic Sun: 7-1
Atlantic Ten: 9-7
Big 12: 3-3
Big East: 2-3
Big South: 12-0
Big Ten: 8-9
Big West: 3-0
Colonial: 3-0
CUSA: 6-1
Horizon: 3-1
Ivy: 2-0
MAAC: 1-0
MAC: 1-1
MEAC: 9-1
Missouri Valley: 3-1
Mountain West: 1-0
Northeast: 3-1
Ohio Valley: 3-1
Pac-12: 6-3
Patriot: 6-1
SEC: 5-7
Southern: 13-0
Southland: 1-0
Summit: 0-1
SWAC: 2-0
West Coast: 2-0
Non D-I: 1-0

Duvall
12-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Pitt lost its unbeaten status in what I can only hope is the ugliest major conference game of the season.

Virginia at Pitt on Groundhog Day.