PDA

View Full Version : A&M's Leading Tackler Suspended

burnspbesq
12-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Kid, the rules against weed are stupid, but they are what they are and you got caught. Go sit down.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10182747/texas-aggies-darian-claiborne-arrested-2-drug-possession-charges

richardjackson199
12-22-2013, 11:43 PM
The charges say "possession of a dangerous drug" and also possession of marijuana. That sounds like it implies the dangerous drug is something different than marijuana? I don't know much about law or what these charges mean. Does this sound like just weed or also another dangerous drug to those of you who know about legal charges?
Regardless, I guess that starts to even things back out after we lost Jela for the game. I'll be there and would love to see our offense move the ball and score some points. I'd be ecstatic to see a Peach Bowl Win (no offense to the cows but it will always be the peach bowl to me).
Hopefully the young man learns his lesson from this. It sounds like suspension from the game is the right thing to do.

RockLobster
12-23-2013, 12:58 AM
The charges say "possession of a dangerous drug" and also possession of marijuana. That sounds like it implies the dangerous drug is something different than marijuana? I don't know much about law or what these charges mean. Does this sound like just weed or also another dangerous drug to those of you who know about legal charges?
Regardless, I guess that starts to even things back out after we lost Jela for the game. I'll be there and would love to see our offense move the ball and score some points. I'd be ecstatic to see a Peach Bowl Win (no offense to the cows but it will always be the peach bowl to me).
Hopefully the young man learns his lesson from this. It sounds like suspension from the game is the right thing to do.

Under Texas law, it basically means a prescription drug. Not weed.

Bob Green
12-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Losing the leading tackler off a defense which struggles is a big deal. Texas A&M is ranked #105 in Total Defense giving up 460.3 yards per game. Our closest previous opponent is Troy at #112. Miami (#78), North Carolina (#69), Virginia (#64), Navy (#62) and N.C. State (#61) are examples of stronger defenses from a statistics ranking perspective. Of course, Texas A&M played in the almighty SEC so their level of competition was tougher (supposedly).

The teams we lost to were ranked #3 (Florida State), #21 (Georgia Tech) and #42 (Pitt).

In the other defensive categories, Texas A&M is:

Passing Defense: #79 (239 ypg)
Scoring Defense: #88 (30.9 ppg)
Rushing Defense: #108 (221.3 ypg)

The Aggies defense is truly bad so it is up to our offense to go out on the field and physical overpower and outrun them. I'm optimistic the staff will have the team properly prepared with a solid game plan. We have the talent to score lots of points in this game, which will be necessary to gain a victory. I'm thinking it will take ~40 points to win this one.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Losing the leading tackler off a defense which struggles is a big deal. Texas A&M is ranked #105 in Total Defense giving up 460.3 yards per game. Our closest previous opponent is Troy at #112. Miami (#78), North Carolina (#69), Virginia (#64), Navy (#62) and N.C. State (#61) are examples of stronger defenses from a statistics ranking perspective. Of course, Texas A&M played in the almighty SEC so their level of competition was tougher (supposedly).

The teams we lost to were ranked #3 (Florida State), #21 (Georgia Tech) and #42 (Pitt).

In the other defensive categories, Texas A&M is:

Passing Defense: #79 (239 ypg)
Scoring Defense: #88 (30.9 ppg)
Rushing Defense: #108 (221.3 ypg)

The Aggies defense is truly bad so it is up to our offense to go out on the field and physical overpower and outrun them. I'm optimistic the staff will have the team properly prepared with a solid game plan. We have the talent to score lots of points in this game, which will be necessary to gain a victory. I'm thinking it will take ~40 points to win this one.
I agree with what you've said, Bob. As we look at our offense, I'm reminded that Parker Boehme has been getting ready all season long. He's talented. I'm optimistic about what he can do.

A-Tex Devil
12-23-2013, 12:59 PM
This is a big deal for A&M. They've had some injuries this year to go along with basic lack of execution, and Claiborne has been a bit of a revelation. He was a 3 star recruit out of Louisiana without an LSU offer, so it wasn't a huge coup to get him. But he's been one of the best freshman LBs in the country.

Duke needs to put the Oregon/Stanford game on loop, because that kind of ball control offense is exactly how we can beat A&M. And with the Aggies losing their LB, our O-Line and RBs should be licking their chops. If someone can maybe also lure Johnny Football down to the Clermont for a late Monday night next week, that should help as well.

jimsumner
12-23-2013, 01:11 PM
If they're bad with him, it doesn't mean they can't be worse without him.

budwom
12-23-2013, 01:23 PM
If they're bad with him, it doesn't mean they can't be worse without him.

And bad is a relative term. They've played some terrific teams.
Having said that, it's pretty clear what we have to do (not that it's easy): control the ball
with a mixture of runs and passes, and don't turn the ball over. A&M is going to score a lot.
Here's hoping the Texans don't take us seriously.

Skitzle
12-24-2013, 03:27 AM
And bad is a relative term. They've played some terrific teams.
Having said that, it's pretty clear what we have to do (not that it's easy): control the ball
with a mixture of runs and passes, and don't turn the ball over. A&M is going to score a lot.
Here's hoping the Texans don't take us seriously.

Umm.. How bout they take us seriously and we STILL beat them? :D

johnb
12-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Kid, the rules against weed are stupid, but they are what they are and you got caught. Go sit down.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10182747/texas-aggies-darian-claiborne-arrested-2-drug-possession-charges

Texas is not the state to get arrested for drugs. He's got more to worry about than a bowl game...

sagegrouse
12-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Texas is not the state to get arrested for drugs. He's got more to worry about than a bowl game...

Hurleyfor3, RockyMtDevil and Sagegrouse are waving "Hi" from Colorado. Or is it "high?"