PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame star and leading scorer Jerian Grant suspended academically from ND

loran16
12-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Important, given that ND is our first ACC game this year. Jerian Grant is now out. 19 PPG, 6 APG, and was highly efficient at that, and he didn't turn the ball over much. ND drops immensely without him.

Duvall
12-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Release, with apology. (http://www.und.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/122213aad.html)

It is with regret and sorrow that I inform you that I am no longer enrolled at the University of Notre Dame due to an academic matter that I did not handle properly. As a result, I am no longer part of the basketball program and will not be on the court competing with my teammates for the remainder of the 2013-14 season.

I take full responsibility for my lack of good judgment and the poor decision that I made. I have no one to blame but myself for the situation. I know and understand the expectations that go with being a student at Notre Dame and I did not live up to those standards.

Devastating blow for the Irish.

wilko
12-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Release, with apology. (http://www.und.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/122213aad.html)

Devastating blow for the Irish.

And the young man.

I tip my hat to him for owning it like a man. Much success to him in the future!

And as an institution, ND is a fine addition to the league. I know it was difficult for them as well on many levels, and that they didn't sweep it under a rug speaks volumes.

Respect!

burnspbesq
12-22-2013, 07:09 PM
And the young man.

I tip my hat to him for owning it like a man. Much success to him in the future!

And as an institution, ND is a fine addition to the league. I know it was difficult for them as well on many levels, and that they didn't sweep it under a rug speaks volumes.

Respect!

Duke and ND are more alike than either school's fan base would care to admit. ;-)

TKG
12-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Interesting contrast offered this week between the way things are handled in both Durham and South Bend with the approach taken in Chapel Hill.

chrishoke
12-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Duke and ND are more alike than either school's fan base would care to admit. ;-)

I'm proud to admit it!

Furniture
12-22-2013, 08:06 PM
I bet this young man will take full advantage of his second chance!

AtlDuke72
12-22-2013, 10:08 PM
I bet this young man will take full advantage of his second chance!

Hard to bet one way or the other without knowing what he did wrong. He did write a nice apology, or somebody wrote a nice one for him..

rogermortimer
12-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Hard to bet one way or the other without knowing what he did wrong. He did write a nice apology, or somebody wrote a nice one for him..

I am not sure this is fair to the kid. He went public, and took unequivocal responsibility for a dumb decision (of some kind). I don't see a reason to hold this kid to a higher standard than the leaders of corporate America and Government who have PR flacks write blurbs for them constantly in response to bad news or scandals.

The best comparison here is between ND and Duke, on one hand, and UNC on the other. UNC has shown that their athletes would not respond in this way, and neither would UNC demand it.

subzero02
12-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Notre Dame has given their best football and basketball players (Golson and Grant)the boot in the same year... Both due to academic reasons. This is a sharp contrast to what is taking place at UNC.

JasonEvans
12-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Notre Dame has given their best football and basketball players (Golson and Grant)the boot in the same year... Both due to academic reasons. This is a sharp contrast to what is taking place at UNC.

I was emailing with a bunch of Dukies and it was pointed out that Private schools, especially ones that seem to really care about academics, seem to fall prey to academic suspensions like this but the big public schools rarely seem to be hit by it. I mentioned the following cases --

Harvard basketball lost two of their best players a year ago in a plagiarism scandal. Most certainly not a public university.

Fab Melo was suspended from Syracuse for the NCAA tourney because of an academic scandal. Again, not public. Syracuse also lost James Southerland for an academic problem, IIRC.

Notre Dame lost their starting QB, Everett Golson, for this entire season to what is thought to be a cheating scandal.

But public schools... I can't think of any. One might argue that Carolina got caught up in a pretty bad academic scandal with the football team and had multiple players suspended for various lengths of time, but that was so widespread and began with a NCAA investigation into improper benefits so I don't see it nearly the same as the above examples (or Duncan at Duke).

Alabama just suspended linebacker Xzavier Dickson for the Sugar bowl, but I did not hear why he was suspended. Bama suspends kids all the time for stuff like curfew violations or other improper team conduct. But, you rarely hear about a kid being suspended for academic stuff.

We came up with a few more examples from private schools but despite several of us looking around, we were hard pressed to find many examples of the big public schools suspending significant players for cheating, plagiarism, and similar academic problems.

I mean, what are the odds that AJ McCarron or Arron Craft would be suspended for a year by Bama or Ohio State the way Notre Dame just did with their best football and basketball players? Pretty darn close to zero, I suspect.

-Jason "I am sure I am wrong and there are good examples out there but it all just smells kinda funny" Evans

AtlDuke72
12-24-2013, 09:49 AM
I am not sure this is fair to the kid. He went public, and took unequivocal responsibility for a dumb decision (of some kind). I don't see a reason to hold this kid to a higher standard than the leaders of corporate America and Government who have PR flacks write blurbs for them constantly in response to bad news or scandals.

I don't think I was suggesting that he be held to a higher standard. Issuing an apology does not absolve all wrongs. Seems to me that you need to know what the person did (or what anybody including Presidents on down did) before an apology may give a pass.