PDA

View Full Version : Davidson takes UNC to OT

FerryFor50
12-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Davidson missed some key FTs down the stretch. UNC made (???) key FTs.

Then a terrible 30 foot 3pt attempt at the buzzer by Davidson sent the game into OT and the refs took over.

devildeac
12-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Then a terrible 30 foot 3pt attempt at the buzzer by Davidson sent the game into OT and the refs took over.

Blame arnie is still king, not me tonight;).

FerryFor50
12-21-2013, 07:40 PM

Indeed. Dirty jinxers!

devildeac

Well, first I'll blame arnie is still king, then I'll blame the refs:rolleyes:.

This seems like deja vu, all over again:rolleyes:.

Duvall
Just a disgraceful effort by Davidson down the stretch.

devildeac
12-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Wonder if Davidson had any fans ejected tonite...

devildeac
12-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Wonder if this will put ol' roy in the dadgum Christmas spirit tonight?;)

arnie
12-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Well, first I'll blame arnie is still king, then I'll blame the refs:rolleyes:.

This seems like deja vu, all over again:rolleyes:.

I think I'll refuse all gifts on Christmas - I'm not worthy!

devildeac
12-21-2013, 07:52 PM
I think I'll refuse all gifts on Christmas - I'm not worthy!

If you're not quite sure what we're talking about, go back and read the first page or two of the Texas-unc thread. Man, I thought I had ruined Christmas that night:o.

arnie
12-21-2013, 08:12 PM
If you're not quite sure what we're talking about, go back and read the first page or two of the Texas-unc thread. Man, I thought I had ruined Christmas that night:o.

I was generally aware of the jinx rules, just got too excited. I should know better, been pulling against the Wheels since Arnie was winning on tour.

Duke_92
12-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Don't worry arnie. It was my fault. I turned on the TV when I saw the game was close. How many times has that happened over the years.

JStuart
12-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Wonder if Davidson had any fans ejected tonite...

From the top row, where the Davidson Alums were quarantined, no one could hear us yell, 'miss it, JMM!'
....but the Dome was mighty quiet down the stretch.
I'm sure they were all sad about PJ

Furniture
12-21-2013, 09:00 PM
I was generally aware of the jinx rules, just got too excited. I should know better, been pulling against the Wheels since Arnie was winning on tour.

All I can say is thanks Arne. I was so close to doing he same thing!

brevity
12-21-2013, 09:03 PM

I've cancelled Christmas, thrown out all iced tea and lemonade, and become a Jack Nicklaus fan. Dadgum!

throatybeard
12-21-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm serious, y'all. We need to make this "not in the dadgum Christmas spirit" thing the Übermeme of memes.

Every time there's a sad shot of Roy Williams on the sideline, there needs to be an image macro. Every time he's at a presser after a loss, there needs to be an image macro.

I'm too old and lazy to do this. I'm sure there's a junior at Duke who's already on the case.

Reilly
12-22-2013, 07:12 AM
Uh-oh, if Roy's not in the dadgum Christmas spirit, does that mean he's going to burn Baby Jesus's rear end with a BB gun?

"Our massage therapist told me, 'You know, coach, what happened in Haiti is a catastrophe. What you're having is a disappointment,' " said Williams. "I told her that depends on what chair you're sitting in. It does feel like a catastrophe to me, because it is my life."

"I am not in the dadgum Christmas spirit."

“It’s frustrating, it’s disappointing,’’ he said during a news conference. “Do you think ESPN likes Fox to be successful? You think Nike likes Under Armour to be successful? I mean, I’m competing out there. I don’t like our fans to help the other team by either giving or selling their tickets. That’s disappointing. And to do it right beside our families, you know, that’s the biggest thing. And then to have somebody that’s just negative, negative, negative right in five feet of an assistant coach’s wife for two nights.

“You know, you get tired of that. But it’s something that’s always bothered me. It will always bother me. A hundred years ago I’m watching in Lawrence, Kansas, and North Carolina’s playing North Carolina State and there were five million red shirts in the crowd. And if I’d had a BB gun, five million red shirts would have had a burned rear end. Because I just don’t like those kinds of things. I mean, seriously. You guys like it when all the Internet people beat you on a story? That’s what it is. It’s competition. And if you were my friend, you are not going to help the competition.”

davekay1971
12-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Poor Roy.

If you're going to get into a shooting match with State fans, and you're bringing a BB gun…you're outgunned.

richardjackson199
12-22-2013, 10:27 AM
In Roy's recent self-pity press conference after Hairston got booted, and they asked him if he'd talked to his players, Roy says something like, After that 5am practice, the players wanted me out of there asap so they all chipped in to pay for my Limo. I just rode my Limo out of there. (And even though I'm not in the dadgum Christmas spirit, the spirit of Black Santa lives on. Now we have Fats. They all chip in for my Limo. We all chip in for their Mercedes, Audi, and Camaro's.) The dude is a legendary and great coach, but at press conferences he has always had diarrhea of the mouth and is an unbelievable joke. Merry Dadgum Christmas - here's a Red Ryder BB Gun and a candy-apple Red Camaro.

devildeac
12-22-2013, 10:59 AM
In Roy's recent self-pity press conference after Hairston got booted, and they asked him if he'd talked to his players, Roy says something like, After that 5am practice, the players wanted me out of there asap so they all chipped in to pay for my Limo. I just rode my Limo out of there. (And even though I'm not in the dadgum Christmas spirit, the spirit of Black Santa lives on. Now we have Fats. They all chip in for my Limo. We all chip in for their Mercedes, Audi, and Camaro's.) The dude is a legendary and great coach, but at press conferences he has always had diarrhea of the mouth and is an unbelievable joke. Merry Dadgum Christmas - here's a Red Ryder BB Gun and a candy-apple Red Camaro.

Need one of these, too:

http://www.guavaleaf.com/video/1603/Prince-And-The-Revolution--Little-Red-Corvette#sthash.ayDTBuL0.dpbs

Kedsy
12-22-2013, 11:11 AM
UNC is among the early contenders for the title and probably ahead of Duke at this point.

For everyone who said stuff like this after UNC's three big wins, still think this is true?

richardjackson199
12-22-2013, 11:38 AM
For everyone who said stuff like this after UNC's three big wins, still think this is true?

Interesting question. There are many teams this year who can compete for the title. I do believe Arizona is the legitimate favorite, especially with their amazing coach. That team is so smart, unselfish, big, deep, has good experience/leadership, improving chemistry & roles, and no weaknesses. They are certainly beatable, so NCAA brackets and how upsets cause them to open up will be crucial this year. That puts more value on regular season games to earn good seeding. So given that so many teams could win, I do still think Carolina could win it all this year. Do I think they will? Very unlikely. Are they one of the top 5 or so "National title contenders?" Not in my opinion. But they are a national title contender in the sense that they are good enough to win it all just like many other great teams this year. I said it then, and I'll still say that UNC's 3 convincing wins over teams ranked in the top 3 (at one point) at #1 Michigan State's floor, to win a preseason tourney over Louisville on neutral floor, and at home over Kentucky - shows that UNC can beat anybody in the country. A team that can beat anybody in the country can in my opinion win a national championship. They lost to a hot 3-point shooting Belmont team in November. No big deal. They lost in November, on the road to a good, athletic UAB team who was jacked because they are coached by one of Roy's former players & coaches. No big deal. They lost at home to Texas immediately after finding out their best player is suspended for the year. No big deal. They lost that game because they missed a million free throws. They had a 5am practice, and a very stressful week with the PJ/LMac emotions. Days later, they struggled against Davidson, and won in OT behind much improved guard Marcus Paige. That kid is tough. I expected Davidson would be a tough game for them after the week they had. I expect UNC to regroup and mentally get refreshed over Christmas break. I expect them to work on free throws and for that to improve. I expect them to finish easily in the top 3 in the ACC. I hope Duke finishes #1, but different scenarios are quite possible for the ACC race. UNC is big, deep, tough (Paige), talented (McAdoo, Tokoto, Paige), and now they can shoot on the perimeter (Paige, LMac, and sometimes Tokoto). They're young and improving. They seem to have better chemistry than expected. Roy is a great coach. I expect this UNC team to continue to overachieve and continue to be a very dangerous team with a high ceiling. I hope I'm wrong and I hope they lose every game. But at this point, I've seen nothing to make me think this UNC team isn't extremely dangerous going forward. Go Duke! and 9F

davekay1971
12-22-2013, 12:05 PM
UNC is a limited team this year. Despite the histrionics of local Carolina talk radio fanboys, who actually breathed the words "If it weren't for UNC's two losses, they'd be number one right now." Astounding logic. UNC deserves some credit for their "big wins". Louisville played terribly, but UNC deserved that win. Michigan State also played terribly, but UNC put the only blemish on the Spartans' record. UK is quickly becoming less than a "big win". Discount completely UK's preseason number one ranking. It's a team of freshmen, and the validity of any preseason rankings is about as legitimate as Harrison Barnes' pre-freshman year All America recognition. Kentucky is far from the best team in the nation, and, at this point, there should be legitimate argument about whether they deserve to be in the top 25.

Carolina is, well, limited. They have one superstar in the making with Marcus Paige. Fortunately, for Roy, he's playing the most crucial spot on the court. They also have some quality big bodies. JMM has proven by staying in college at a program that doesn't have much of a track record in actually developing talent that he's a one trick pony. He's very good at that one trick (athletic moves around the basket), of course, but he's not a superstar and doesn't look like he's going to suddenly become one this season. UNC's most glaring weakness (aside from the guy who supposedly can call plays and timeouts from the bench), three point shooting, may improve with McDonald returning, but when has anyone said, "I have no idea how we're going to shut down Leslie McDonald"?

UNC has proven they can beat good teams. When they play defense, hit their free throws, and Paige is hitting from outside, they have enough pieces to be a good team, and beat good teams. They could certainly beat Duke this season if they're playing well and we aren't. But UNC could also lose, on any given night, to bottom-half ACC teams. Chances are, with Paige running the show, UNC will win most of their games against the ACC's bottom and middle thirds to finish in the top third of the league. They don't look to be in 2010 territory, by any stretch of the imagination. But this also is not nearly as good of a team as Roy's best squads of 2005, 2008, 2009, or even his really good Marshall/Barnes/Henson/Zeller team. In fact, the gulf between those teams and this team is probably greater than the difference between this team and 2010.

Troublemaker
12-22-2013, 12:44 PM
I expect them to finish easily in the top 3 in the ACC. I hope Duke finishes #1, but different scenarios are quite possible for the ACC race.

That's very optimisic on UNC's chances, imo. I think UNC's ACC W-L will be in the range of 8-10 to 11-7, not the 12-6 to 15-3 that will be needed to finish top 3 and be true contenders for the reg season ACC crown. At the end of the season, I think we're more likely to look at their 3 big non-conf wins as the thing that saves their at-large bid bacon than something that presaged their ACC contendership.

arnie
12-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Interesting question. There are many teams this year who can compete for the title. I do believe Arizona is the legitimate favorite, especially with their amazing coach. That team is so smart, unselfish, big, deep, has good experience/leadership, improving chemistry & roles, and no weaknesses. They are certainly beatable, so NCAA brackets and how upsets cause them to open up will be crucial this year. That puts more value on regular season games to earn good seeding. So given that so many teams could win, I do still think Carolina could win it all this year. Do I think they will? Very unlikely. Are they one of the top 5 or so "National title contenders?" Not in my opinion. But they are a national title contender in the sense that they are good enough to win it all just like many other great teams this year. I said it then, and I'll still say that UNC's 3 convincing wins over teams ranked in the top 3 (at one point) at #1 Michigan State's floor, to win a preseason tourney over Louisville on neutral floor, and at home over Kentucky - shows that UNC can beat anybody in the country. A team that can beat anybody in the country can in my opinion win a national championship. They lost to a hot 3-point shooting Belmont team in November. No big deal. They lost in November, on the road to a good, athletic UAB team who was jacked because they are coached by one of Roy's former players & coaches. No big deal. They lost at home to Texas immediately after finding out their best player is suspended for the year. No big deal. They lost that game because they missed a million free throws. They had a 5am practice, and a very stressful week with the PJ/LMac emotions. Days later, they struggled against Davidson, and won in OT behind much improved guard Marcus Paige. That kid is tough. I expected Davidson would be a tough game for them after the week they had. I expect UNC to regroup and mentally get refreshed over Christmas break. I expect them to work on free throws and for that to improve. I expect them to finish easily in the top 3 in the ACC. I hope Duke finishes #1, but different scenarios are quite possible for the ACC race. UNC is big, deep, tough (Paige), talented (McAdoo, Tokoto, Paige), and now they can shoot on the perimeter (Paige, LMac, and sometimes Tokoto). They're young and improving. They seem to have better chemistry than expected. Roy is a great coach. I expect this UNC team to continue to overachieve and continue to be a very dangerous team with a high ceiling. I hope I'm wrong and I hope they lose every game. But at this point, I've seen nothing to make me think this UNC team isn't extremely dangerous going forward. Go Duke! and 9F

When I read that Roy is a great coach (in the context of you coach against others with the same talent); I waited for the punch line. It never came.