PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like Jabari - in his own words - declaring for 2014 NBA draft

Philadukie
12-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Surprised no one posted this.

Jay Williams: Will you be the most versatile player in the 2014 NBA draft?
Jabari: I hope so.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=collegebasketballnation&id=91389&src=desktop

Not really surprising, but I guess that I was holding out a little hope that maybe he would stay two years based on some of his previous comments.

Potato Head
12-19-2013, 10:29 PM

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=collegebasketballnation&id=91389&src=desktop

Not really surprising, but I guess that I was holding out a little hope that maybe he would stay two years based on some of his previous comments.

Maybe he meant versatile in terms of not hiring an agent so he can drop out if he doesn't like his projection?

flyingdutchdevil
12-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Maybe he meant versatile in terms of not hiring an agent so he can drop out if he doesn't like his projection?

I wouldn't really like the number 1 pick either. ;)

ice-9
12-19-2013, 10:36 PM
He's clearly an NBA player. We should appreciate his year at Duke and wish him luck in the league if he chooses to declare.

Philadukie
12-19-2013, 10:38 PM
If? Hmmm.

flyingdutchdevil
12-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Pretty sure Jabari declaring for the draft is about as surprising as hearing that Sean May ate a donut in the last 24 hours.

moonpie23
12-19-2013, 10:46 PM
rock on, jabari……thanks for coming to duke…..i certainly hope you come back and finish your degree……..

IBleedBlue
12-19-2013, 10:47 PM
His coming back can work in both ways
Good side would be - he can team up with the next exciting class
Bad side would be - More people will start saying Coach K keeps the one and done recruits more than they want. This might come out as being a negative for Duke.

He seems a mature and confident player. He is a top 5 pick.

Newton_14
12-19-2013, 11:00 PM

I did not take it that way at all. I thought Jabari focused more on the first part of Jay's question, which was about becoming a more complete player, and then Jason sort of threw on the "In the 2014 draft" at the end of his question. Jason also did not follow up on the question to get clarity either.

It is certainly more likely that Jabari will declare than not, and I think everyone understands that, but April is a long way off from now. Jabari is certainly not a kid that has to go for money reasons, so it will come down to how much he enjoys college, vs how badly he wants to get to the NBA. I dont feel it is a lock at all. I think Jabari is the type person that will give great consideration and thought to all of his options, and then will make a decision that he feels is best for him at that time. Right now I think he is 100% focused on improving as a player and helping his Duke team be as good as possible.

Troublemaker
12-19-2013, 11:08 PM
hope that maybe he would stay two years based on some of his previous comments.

High school boys are idealistic. They think the long-distance relationship with their high school sweetheart who went off to a different college is going to work out. Jabari the high-school kid may have said some things. Jabari the Duke man will make the decision.

Dukehky
12-19-2013, 11:12 PM
I did not take it that way at all. I thought Jabari focused more on the first part of Jay's question, which was about becoming a more complete player, and then Jason sort of threw on the "In the 2014 draft" at the end of his question. Jason also did not follow up on the question to get clarity either.

It is certainly more likely that Jabari will declare than not, and I think everyone understands that, but April is a long way off from now. Jabari is certainly not a kid that has to go for money reasons, so it will come down to how much he enjoys college, vs how badly he wants to get to the NBA. I dont feel it is a lock at all. I think Jabari is the type person that will give great consideration and thought to all of his options, and then will make a decision that he feels is best for him at that time. Right now I think he is 100% focused on improving as a player and helping his Duke team be as good as possible.

I completely agree with this. I am more optimistic about his returning than most for some reason. Hearing some things out of Chicago recently that said 2 years was always the plan. Plans change though. I too think he wasn't really paying attention to the second part of Jay's question, also we don't know for certain if that was the answer to that particular question. ESPN edits the bejeezus out of those interviews, so you never really know. Is it likely Jabari enters the draft? Yes.

Why do we have to talk about it though? Let's just watch, appreciate, and hope he stays for another year.

Also, to the person who said this could be a negative for Duke... That is one of the more foolish things I've ever read. Kids know that leaving is their decision which will be remarked upon by Coach K who after a year is an important figure in their lives, and arguably the most important outside their parents in their basketball lives. But it is still their decision, K doesn't have to let them out of a contract or anything. We've had plenty of one and dones to show that its not like Coach K is averse to it, we've also had guys stay four years and do great things in college and the pros. Singler is doing pretty well for himself right? His draft position was too low, but he's in the league, playing well, which may not have been the case if he had left after one year and was a lottery pick.

g-money
12-20-2013, 02:45 AM
I think it's fine to hope. Hope is a wonderful thing. But if/when Jabari declares, I sure don't want to see people start complaining on the message board. Let's be honest, the fact that he is being forced to spend a year in college is just plain silly. I love that he's chosen Duke, and I'll enjoy every minute of his stay, but he should be making millions right now.

Jabari's more ready for the NBA than Kyrie was. And that is saying something, because Kyrie was obviously ready. Is there such a thing as the zeroth pick in the draft? :)

kAzE
12-20-2013, 05:05 AM
I noticed the exact same thing when I watched the interview. A small part of me is going to hold out hope that he stays just onnnnne more year (because come on, that team would be unbelievable), but from the way he answered that question, I think in his mind, he's subconsiously already submitted to the fact that he'd be crazy to pass up the draft this year.

All indications are that he LOVES being a student at Duke, and playing at Duke, and he's publicly said he's not necessarily a one and done, but the realist and cynic in me keeps saying, "It'll be easier if you don't put too much stock into this. There's a 99.9% chance he's gone after this season, so enjoy him while you can." I think that's just the way we have to approach it.

<Insert Lloyd Christmas quote below>

porkpa
12-20-2013, 05:27 AM
I think I love Duke and Duke basketball as much as anybody else on this board. Nevertheless I think that Jabari should leave after this year. As bright and capable a young man as he appears to be, his primary talent is as a basketball player. He appears to be capable of becoming that one in a generation type of player. The sooner he gets on the road to success in his chosen metier, the better it will be for him and his career, not to mention the financial gains it will reap for him and his family. There have been Duke players who's leaving early I believed to have been mistaken. There are others such as Kyrie and now Jabari who to some degree would be enhancing their lives by doing so. I am thankful that he has graced us with his presence if only for a short period of time.

Matches
12-20-2013, 08:29 AM
I think it's fine to hope. Hope is a wonderful thing. But if/when Jabari declares, I sure don't want to see people start complaining on the message board. Let's be honest, the fact that he is being forced to spend a year in college is just plain silly. I love that he's chosen Duke, and I'll enjoy every minute of his stay, but he should be making millions right now.

Jabari's more ready for the NBA than Kyrie was. And that is saying something, because Kyrie was obviously ready. Is there such a thing as the zeroth pick in the draft? :)

Agreed with every word in this post. Folks, he's gone after this year. The only reason he's in college at all is because of the NBA's age limit. He could start for most of the teams in the NBA right now.

Jabari was recruited with the understanding that he was likely to be here only one year, and if anything he's been better than advertised on the court. K will advise him to go. Anyone advising him financially will tell him to go. Let's enjoy him while he's here, and wish him well in the NBA next year.

CharlestonDevil
12-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Pretty sure Jabari declaring for the draft is about as surprising as hearing that Sean May ate a donut in the last 24 hours.

Or that someone coached by Roy Williams violated a law in the last 24 hours.

Or UNC tried to cover it up.

Or someone in Chapel Hill is crying "woe is me".

mkirsh
12-20-2013, 08:48 AM
I'd love all players to stay four years. I'd love to see a senior Kyrie Irving throw a lob to freshman Jabari Parker*. But that's what's best for a Duke fan. I'm sure Jabari is the type of player who always has things on his list to work on and get better, but he is as NBA ready, from a game and maturity perspective, as any freshman we've ever seen, and he should be competing against the best in the world vs dominating lesser competition. I'll enjoy whatever he gives to Duke and root for him like crazy in the NBA.

*is the #1 jersey becoming like the #44 of Syracuse football? Can we petition the ncaa to allow all of our players to wear #1?

wilko
12-20-2013, 09:21 AM
I think I love Duke and Duke basketball as much as anybody else on this board. Nevertheless I think that Jabari should leave after this year.

THIS! 1k x's THIS.
Worry about next year NEXT year... Enjoy him THIS yr.

Its best for my stress and sanity to consider him gone and not worry about it.

The ONLY circumstance I can envision him in a Duke uni beyond this season is if he opts to fulfill the mission to his faith. If he takes extended time away from basketball - I can easily see the staff welcoming him with open arms and him coming back to get into basketball shape..

Either way its a Parker family decision - and we all should respect his right to make the choice thats best. Even if Duke finishes 3rd or 4th in that priority list...

Mike Corey
12-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Expect he'll go pro. And enjoy every moment we've got with this generational basketball talent.

We have been very, very fortunate as Duke fans to see a handful of folks on this level--but, dare I say it, none quite so polished as Mr. Parker.

Go pro, young man, go pro. But let's win a title to send you out.

jimsumner
12-20-2013, 12:49 PM
I'd love all players to stay four years. I'd love to see a senior Kyrie Irving throw a lob to freshman Jabari Parker*. But that's what's best for a Duke fan. I'm sure Jabari is the type of player who always has things on his list to work on and get better, but he is as NBA ready, from a game and maturity perspective, as any freshman we've ever seen, and he should be competing against the best in the world vs dominating lesser competition. I'll enjoy whatever he gives to Duke and root for him like crazy in the NBA.

*is the #1 jersey becoming like the #44 of Syracuse football? Can we petition the ncaa to allow all of our players to wear #1?

Keep in mind that Austin Rivers would be a junior in this scenario.

-bdbd
12-20-2013, 01:08 PM

I have to agree. Rather than trying to nit-pick the question aprt, it is easier to just respond to the general direction of the question (about being versatile). I don't take this answer as providing any real new info about whether he'll turn pro.

That said, I've been expecting all along that he's likely to go pro, but given his personality, spirituality, focus on academics and apparent enjoyment of Duke, I still hold out hope. We certainly know that he and Okafor are buddies too, which helps. We're allowed to dream, no?
-- line-up: Tyus Jones/Cook, Rasheed/Matt Jones, Hood/Winslow, Parker/Jefferson, Okafor/MP3. Just WOW!
:D

jv001
12-20-2013, 02:10 PM
When asked by Dan what the chances of Jabari playing at Duke one more year, Coach K said, minimal. He praised Jabari for on the court play and praised him for being a great kid from a great family. He did say that Jabari loves the college life and education is very important to him. So much so, that things have been put in place to continue his education at Duke and that he will always be a Duke player. Just like Kyrie is. GoDuke!

Newton_14
12-20-2013, 03:05 PM
When asked by Dan what the chances of Jabari playing at Duke one more year, Coach K said, minimal. He praised Jabari for on the court play and praised him for being a great kid from a great family. He did say that Jabari loves the college life and education is very important to him. So much so, that things have been put in place to continue his education at Duke and that he will always be a Duke player. Just like Kyrie is. GoDuke!

I heard the interview as well. It was good. K also said that Jabari is one of those kids that might would come back for that second year. (He said that right before stating Jabari loves college, really loves it, and education is important to him). Still said the chance was minimal, but it is not a certainty that he goes.

flyingdutchdevil
12-20-2013, 03:11 PM
I heard the interview as well. It was good. K also said that Jabari is one of those kids that might would come back for that second year. (He said that right before stating Jabari loves college, really loves it, and education is important to him). Still said the chance was minimal, but it is not a certainty that he goes.

How often is it the case that a coach - or even the player - provides certainty that he's gone? It's generally very rare.

It is in no one's interest - Coach K and Jabari included - to say that a player is definitely going to the draft, even if those parties know that the player is gone.

Newton_14
12-20-2013, 03:38 PM
How often is it the case that a coach - or even the player - provides certainty that he's gone? It's generally very rare.

It is in no one's interest - Coach K and Jabari included - to say that a player is definitely going to the draft, even if those parties know that the player is gone.

Agree but I don't feel K was being disengenuious there or misleading. He offered it up on his own without being prompted, so I take him at his word.

brevity
12-20-2013, 06:38 PM

It can happen at Kentucky. John Calipari provides that certainty, and will even make the decision for the player. "Oh, you're ready for the pros. Besides, I've already lined up your scholarship for the next vic -- er, recruit."

jipops
12-20-2013, 07:43 PM
I think I love Duke and Duke basketball as much as anybody else on this board. Nevertheless I think that Jabari should leave after this year. As bright and capable a young man as he appears to be, his primary talent is as a basketball player. He appears to be capable of becoming that one in a generation type of player. The sooner he gets on the road to success in his chosen metier, the better it will be for him and his career, not to mention the financial gains it will reap for him and his family. There have been Duke players who's leaving early I believed to have been mistaken. There are others such as Kyrie and now Jabari who to some degree would be enhancing their lives by doing so. I am thankful that he has graced us with his presence if only for a short period of time.

Yea, Jordan staying in school for 3 years really hurt his career.

SupaDave
12-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Yea, Jordan staying in school for 3 years really hurt his career.

We might not have ever heard from Jordan again had he left after his freshmen year. He was immature and skinny - the pros would have had a field day with him. He was 6'6 and a 195 pounds. No comparison here...

jipops
12-20-2013, 08:50 PM
We might not have ever heard from Jordan again had he left after his freshmen year. He was immature and skinny - the pros would have had a field day with him. He was 6'6 and a 195 pounds. No comparison here...

Yet Dean felt Jordan was mature enough to take the jumper vs. Gtown in the title game.

Durant was pretty skinny too right? Still is.

My veiled point was, odds are a guy sticking around for another year doesn't hurt himself in doing so. I believe in most cases it helps. Marcus Smart or Steph Curry are two examples. Sure Jabari leaving after this year is not a bad choice at all, and I believe that's what he'll do. But sticking around for another year would likely be a good choice as well. Saying that he shouldn't do this doesn't make sense. I think he has a can't lose decision coming.

miramar
12-20-2013, 09:26 PM

If you are suggesting that Sean May ate only a single donut in the last 24 hours, then that would be a huge surprise.

JPtheGame
12-21-2013, 12:02 AM
He's coming back.
A little bait and switch by Jay does nothing to change my mind on this.
He came to Duke to do special things and the only way he leaves is if Duke wins it all this year.
Just a hunch but I get that Kyle Singler after winning it his junior year and coming back anyway kind of feeling.

Skitzle
12-21-2013, 06:01 AM
He's coming back.
A little bait and switch by Jay does nothing to change my mind on this.
He came to Duke to do special things and the only way he leaves is if Duke wins it all this year.
Just a hunch but I get that Kyle Singler after winning it his junior year and coming back anyway kind of feeling.

Singler wasn't a top 5 pick, at any point in his career.

DukeDevil
12-21-2013, 08:14 AM

Thanks for making everyone in my office wonder why I snorted out loud.

The purely selfish side of me wants Jabari around for 4 years. On the other hand, Duke players rocking the NBA is one of the only reasons I watch NBA b-ball nowadays.

Matches
12-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Yet Dean felt Jordan was mature enough to take the jumper vs. Gtown in the title game.

Jordan's a problematic comp - he was in college 30 years ago. (Yes, that makes me feel insanely old too.) The game and the landscape have changed dramatically since then. See also: Grant Hill (20 years ago).

NYBri
12-21-2013, 09:57 AM

My veiled point was, odds are a guy sticking around for another year doesn't hurt himself in doing so. I believe in most cases it helps. Marcus Smart or Steph Curry are two examples. Sure Jabari leaving after this year is not a bad choice at all, and I believe that's what he'll do. But sticking around for another year would likely be a good choice as well. Saying that he shouldn't do this doesn't make sense. I think he has a can't lose decision coming.

Difference is that Jabari will be the No. 1 pick, no doubt, and I don't think MJ was projected 1 after his frosh year. MJ wasn't even the top pick when he did come out.

LOVE seeing JP in a DUKE uni, but the reality is that he will have little more to learn in the college game and will be the top pick in a very strong draft.

We are going to have to suck it up and wave him off to the start of a really great pro career with tears in our eyes.

Having the no. 1 class coming in next year will make it easier for us all be gracious.

JPtheGame
12-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Singler wasn't a top 5 pick, at any point in his career.

And there's nothing to suggest draft position means a whole lot to jabari at this point. He's been thought of as a top 5 pick since he was 16. That is important to us and I know I'm playing some long odds but I still think he makes his decisions differently than most 18 year olds.

sagegrouse
12-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Difference is that Jabari will be the No. 1 pick, no doubt, and I don't think MJ was projected 1 after his frosh year. MJ wasn't even the top pick when he did come out.

LOVE seeing JP in a DUKE uni, but the reality is that he will have little more to learn in the college game and will be the top pick in a very strong draft.

We are going to have to suck it up and wave him off to the start of a really great pro career with tears in our eyes.

Having the no. 1 class coming in next year will make it easier for us all be gracious.

The 1984 NBA Draft is the stuff of legend. Hakeem Olajuwon went #1 to the Rockets -- and is a HOFer, so not a bad #1 pick. Portland then picked Sam Bowie of Kentucky at #2. Bowie troubled by leg injuries, player ten years but was never a star. Jordan went number three. It is still a sore subject in Oregon.

sage

JasonEvans
12-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Difference is that Jabari will be the No. 1 pick, no doubt

Don't be so sure about that. There are still plenty of draft gurus who expect Wiggins, who is an athletic freak, to go #1. There is a lot of time to go between now and draft day.

-Jason "Chad Forde tweeted during the UCLA game that Jabari could average 18-20 ppg in the NBA RIGHT NOW. Hard to disagree with that" Evans

Skitzle
12-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Don't be so sure about that. There are still plenty of draft gurus who expect Wiggins, who is an athletic freak, to go #1. There is a lot of time to go between now and draft day.

-Jason "Chad Forde tweeted during the UCLA game that Jabari could average 18-20 ppg in the NBA RIGHT NOW. Hard to disagree with that" Evans

5 years from now, this is going to be a really interesting draft to evaluate.

JasonEvans
12-21-2013, 12:18 PM

I won't be all that surprised if, in 5 years, Joel Embiid is the best player to come out of this draft. I'd take him ahead of Randle at this point.

-Jason "Parker and Wiggins are more of a sure thing, but Embiid could become the next Hakeem Olajuwon" Evans

davekay1971
12-21-2013, 12:45 PM

5 years from now, we'll know for certain if Jabari went pro in 2014. Until then, this whole thread is the definition of speculation. Yes, Jabari will be NBA ready at the end of this season. Yes, he will be a very high draft pick. Yes, he answered a very leading question from Jay Williams in a manner that was suggestive. But, until Jabari states that he will be going pro after this season, we're still just speculating.

uh_no
12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
5 years from now, we'll know for certain if Jabari went pro in 2014. Until then, this whole thread is the definition of speculation. Yes, Jabari will be NBA ready at the end of this season. Yes, he will be a very high draft pick. Yes, he answered a very leading question from Jay Williams in a manner that was suggestive. But, until Jabari states that he will be going pro after this season, we're still just speculating.

well until the deadline to withdraw, it's still just speculating, really.

coach K said he was done coaching the national team...and yet here we are....

lets be realistic, the odds of him leaving are astronomical...it's speculation in the same vein that coach K coming back to coach duke next year is speculation

duke79
12-21-2013, 02:30 PM
well until the deadline to withdraw, it's still just speculating, really.

coach K said he was done coaching the national team...and yet here we are....

lets be realistic, the odds of him leaving are astronomical...it's speculation in the same vein that coach K coming back to coach duke next year is speculation

Yea, this whole thread is "speculation". Obviously, none of us know what Jabari will do next year, but my guess is that there is virtually a zero per cent chance that he will be in a Duke uniform. I wish this were not true but we have to face reality. Barring a major injury or a total collapse of his game the rest of this year, he almost certainly will be a top 3 pick (at worst and probably number one) in next year's draft. Given that, why would he come back? He could probably play substantial minutes in the NBA THIS year. It's a nice fantasy to think that he is at Duke to get an education and to play college ball but at his level the goal is almost always to make it to the NBA and take the money. Who can blame him?

jipops
12-21-2013, 04:46 PM

I don't think being projected #1, which he isn't, has any real bearing here. If he were projected 7th he would be just as likely to leave.

And I disagree that he will have little to learn in the college game. He can still stand to get better as a defender as well as ball handler and passer. Of course he could possibly improve upon those aspects as a pro too. Yet again, staying in school likely doesn't hurt a kid.

NYBri
12-21-2013, 04:58 PM

And those who pick anyone over Parker come draft day will look back at that mistake with Sam Bowie nightmares in their heads.

He WILL be the number one pick or the team who doesn't take him will regret it for decades.

I'm just going to enjoy the show while it lasts.

NYBri
12-21-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't think being projected #1, which he isn't, has any real bearing here. If he were projected 7th he would be just as likely to leave.

And I disagree that he will have little to learn in the college game. He can still stand to get better as a defender as well as ball handler and passer. Of course he could possibly improve upon those aspects as a pro too. Yet again, staying in school likely doesn't hurt a kid.

Never implied staying in school would hurt him. I'm saying he will be the #1 pick and anything he learns or doesn't learn from another year won't make him a higher pick than that. :)