PDA

View Full Version : DBR Chat

iragsdale
12-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Hey all, I just wanted to re-post this comment I made at the end of the Duke-UCLA in-game thread, because I didn't want the point to get lost. I still think this is the best place to read about basketball on the internet, but the DBR chat has hugely dropped the value of the site to me, because all the best posters are now segregated from the rest of us during in-game threads.

Originally Posted by -jk
I do appreciate your point of view. We're still in beta with the dbr chat, though, and have to factor that in.

What makes any discussion board work - what makes our pub thrive - is active participation in the community.

Alternatively, lurkers don't bring much to the table, though I'm glad you find it a compelling place to visit.

-jk

I assume that some part of what keeps this site running is ad impressions, no? Or do you guys get paid by the post? I tend to refresh MANY times during a game. If that is unwanted traffic, you're certainly doing a good job of getting rid of it. I don't think you meant to say that those of us that post less are unwanted guests, but that sure is the way it comes off.

I could of course make a bunch of useless "me-too" comments to up my post count, but I'd rather keep the signal to noise ratio high unless I have something original to say.

I understand that this is a beta, but hopefully part of the beta is not just evaluating if it works, but evaluating the impact on the site as a whole, and the site right now is way less inviting and useful to those of us not included in the beta.

Thanks for listening,
- Ian

OldPhiKap
12-19-2013, 11:13 PM
I have no relation to DBR, and have no skin in the game other than wanting a board with high quality, easy use discussion of Duke sports. And I know nothing about how to run a web site, either technically or practically. I know the chat is new, though, and trust that when the Grand Poohbahs say it is still being broken in and is "in beta," everyone needs to have some patience.

I personally prefer chat to threads for games, because folks vent frustration over plays that are better left off permanent threads. But there are technical limits I am sure to how that works.

All of that is a long way of saying, please continue positive contributions to the dialogue and have patience.

tteettimes
12-19-2013, 11:54 PM
I love this site...just wish it wasn't so S*L*O*W*........please delete some of the un- necessary front page openings........liked the original front page much better...ESP --- "Next Game"

brevity
12-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Hey all, I just wanted to re-post this comment I made at the end of the Duke-UCLA in-game thread, because I didn't want the point to get lost. I still think this is the best place to read about basketball on the internet, but the DBR chat has hugely dropped the value of the site to me, because all the best posters are now segregated from the rest of us during in-game threads.

Thanks for posting this separately. When I have time to watch a game at all, I try to participate in DBR chat, and haven't really given much thought to the in-game thread. Your comment here compelled me to read through that thread after the fact, so I can compare it to the chat experience I had.

As a cold read, they're... basically the same. Similar responses at similar points of the game. I will admit that there are probably fewer active voices in the in-game thread, so your live experience was probably desolate. But believe me when I say that the chat has its fair share of awkward silences as well.

While the beta status of the chat limits its usage to members of seniority or whatever, I can't entirely agree that it's effectively segregated "the best posters." I see some regular names on the chat list, and those that comment (not everyone comments) generally make good contributions. But it doesn't necessarily follow that the in-game thread becomes a junior varsity ghost town. There is quality there, too.

I personally prefer chat to threads for games, because folks vent frustration over plays that are better left off permanent threads. But there are technical limits I am sure to how that works.

I don't believe I have ever participated in an in-game thread, and would never have thought to try social media for a live game had DBR not introduced the chat feature. I'll let you in on a secret: I have more points on this site than Coach K has wins, but I make almost no deep commentary on basketball. I get by on humor and superficiality. And on chats I go even more off-topic. My contributions to the UCLA chat were mostly random tangents about Bruce Springsteen song titles and Bob Knight's sweater (http://30fps.mocksession.com/2013/12/18/bob-knight-sweater-alert/) in the Stanford-UConn game. My chat comments have no business in a permanent thread. You will never read a "Good shot" or "He needs to back on defense" from me. Others do that better, so I leave it to them.

So obviously I prefer the chat. But I could see why people might like the in-game thread. It's a steadier medium, for one. I had numerous problems with the chat during the Michigan game, and was ready to blame it on iffy hotel wi-fi, but it turned out everyone has having the same problem. It just goes out for minutes at a time. Also, participation grinds to a halt during commercials and halftime. This is expected in a thread, but can be very off-putting in a chat. Finally, some very good comments disappear into the ether as soon as the game is over. There is something to the permanence of a thread.

bedeviled
12-20-2013, 06:55 AM
I don't have much experience with this issue, but I'll add my perspective since it's different than the OP. When I DBR during a game, I generally go to the forum thread. I tend to watch the game instead of read and write comments (crazy, right?). The thread allows me to check-in episodically, during game down-time, rather than have to keep up with the conversation. I agree with brevity that the comments tend to be similar in thread vs chat....the thread probably has less general chatter. Regarding OPK's reference to the venting of frustration, I do think there is a difference in thread vs chat. Threads are much more prone to it's-the-end-of-the-world and X-is-the-worst-player-to-wear-a-Duke-uniform venting, while the veterans in the chat are more likely to go to "next play" after their vent. In previous years, the in-game thread is occasionally so negative that I want no part of it. I tend to think that this difference is exacerbated by the presence of casual fans and newcomers. Sooooo, I'm actually in favor of the limited availability of the chat.

ricks68
12-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I love this site...just wish it wasn't so S*L*O*W*........please delete some of the un- necessary front page openings........liked the original front page much better...ESP --- "Next Game"

I just put a shortcut directly to the forums and that takes the rest out of it.

ricks

ricks68
12-20-2013, 01:34 PM
I don't have much experience with this issue, but I'll add my perspective since it's different than the OP. When I DBR during a game, I generally go to the forum thread. I tend to watch the game instead of read and write comments (crazy, right?). The thread allows me to check-in episodically, during game down-time, rather than have to keep up with the conversation. I agree with brevity that the comments tend to be similar in thread vs chat....the thread probably has less general chatter. Regarding OPK's reference to the venting of frustration, I do think there is a difference in thread vs chat. Threads are much more prone to it's-the-end-of-the-world and X-is-the-worst-player-to-wear-a-Duke-uniform venting, while the veterans in the chat are more likely to go to "next play" after their vent. In previous years, the in-game thread is occasionally so negative that I want no part of it. I tend to think that this difference is exacerbated by the presence of casual fans and newcomers. Sooooo, I'm actually in favor of the limited availability of the chat.

I would rather watch a Duke bball game than most anything else, so I don't mess with forums or chat rooms at all during game time. For me, it detracts from the game. Afterwards, I like to hear post game comments from the coaches and check out the stats. Chatting and/or participating in the forum during the game is way too much of a distraction to me. But, that's just me. Each to his/her own, I say, however.:)

ricks

iragsdale
12-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Well then it sounds like it's mostly just me then!

I only read the threads in the commercials, but I read pretty fast, so I'm usually done before the commercial is over. With the threads being a little emptier than usual, I finish too quick and then I get bored and lonely. :)

I still think it would be a good idea when linking to the chat from the game threads to make it clear that some won't be able to participate, or show an actual error to people who click through and can't get to the chat, but now that I know, I won't make that mistake again.

Looking forward to participating in the chats, hopefully soon. :)