PDA

View Full Version : Laettner's Jersey Worn Making "The Shot" on Auction Block?

BD80
12-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Could this really be the authentic jersey?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10160260/christian-laettner-game-worn-jersey-1992-duke-kentucky-game-auction

If so, you wonder if Christian intended the guy to auction it off

superdave
12-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Could this really be the authentic jersey?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10160260/christian-laettner-game-worn-jersey-1992-duke-kentucky-game-auction

If so, you wonder if Christian intended the guy to auction it off

Would look best hanging in the lobby of CIS

JasonEvans
01-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Here is a follow-up article (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-01-07/christian-laettner-jersey-sold-for-auction-lelands-duke-kentucky-game-1992?modid=recommended_1_5)on the jersey sale from Sporting News. The auction happens this Friday.

the seller is a college buddy of Laettner’s who got the famed jersey simply by asking the former Duke star for it. Leland Evans says the seller has had it in his home office for years but now decided to sell it. The reserve price on the jersey is set at $100,000, which means the item cannot be sold for anything less.

Given that Team USA captain Mike Eruzione’s Miracle on Ice jersey sold last year at auction for nearly $657,000 last February, that $100K threshold should be easily met and make the seller some nice coin.

-Jason "Fess up-- which of you guys had the jersey and decided to sell it?" Evans

fuse
01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Here is a follow-up article (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-01-07/christian-laettner-jersey-sold-for-auction-lelands-duke-kentucky-game-1992?modid=recommended_1_5)on the jersey sale from Sporting News. The auction happens this Friday.

-Jason "Fess up-- which of you guys had the jersey and decided to sell it?" Evans

Jason, I confess- I have the autographed Washington Wizards Laettner jersey from the first Emily K center charity event with the auction held outside Cameron.
First 100k takes it, or if the guy with Laettner's jersey from the UK game wants to trade, I'd consider it! ;-)

This was the event that took place the year prior to Jay Bilas' roast of K (not sure I have ever laughed so hard) and I think ultimately morphed into the Coach K Academy basketball week.

I had bid on some other items in the live auction that night that were fun but I was rapidly outbid on all of them.
Imagine my surprise when I made the first (and only) bid on the Laettner Washington Wizards jersey (where he was playing at the time).
Suddenly the crickets chirping in the background that night got a lot louder, and it sure seemed a heck of a lot hotter, especially behind my ears for some strange reason. Debbie Savarino worked her magic on every other auction item that night, but apparently I was destined to own a piece of "Duke" history that really has no value beyond the value of this story and my experience.

It was not a funny story at the time (spending money you don't have never is), but over the years, it certainly has become so.
Not quite so expensive as "Seward's folly" but certainly expensive enough to be "the jersey folly".
The worst part about it?
The jersey is in the original bag I was given, collecting dust in my closet.
It is so big that most normal size humans could wear it like a dress.
I've never been able to bring myself to get it framed or do anything with it.
I imagine my boys will find it one day and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

Anyone looking for an autographed Laettner Wizards jersey? I'll make you a deal ;-)

DukieInKansas
01-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Jason, I confess- I have the autographed Washington Wizards Laettner jersey from the first Emily K center charity event with the auction held outside Cameron.
First 100k takes it, or if the guy with Laettner's jersey from the UK game wants to trade, I'd consider it! ;-)

This was the event that took place the year prior to Jay Bilas' roast of K (not sure I have ever laughed so hard) and I think ultimately morphed into the Coach K Academy basketball week.

I had bid on some other items in the live auction that night that were fun but I was rapidly outbid on all of them.
Imagine my surprise when I made the first (and only) bid on the Laettner Washington Wizards jersey (where he was playing at the time).
Suddenly the crickets chirping in the background that night got a lot louder, and it sure seemed a heck of a lot hotter, especially behind my ears for some strange reason. Debbie Savarino worked her magic on every other auction item that night, but apparently I was destined to own a piece of "Duke" history that really has no value beyond the value of this story and my experience.

It was not a funny story at the time (spending money you don't have never is), but over the years, it certainly has become so.
Not quite so expensive as "Seward's folly" but certainly expensive enough to be "the jersey folly".
The worst part about it?
The jersey is in the original bag I was given, collecting dust in my closet.
It is so big that most normal size humans could wear it like a dress.
I've never been able to bring myself to get it framed or do anything with it.
I imagine my boys will find it one day and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

Anyone looking for an autographed Laettner Wizards jersey? I'll make you a deal ;-)

My birthday is in less than a month. I accept all types of presents. ;)

JasonEvans
01-07-2014, 03:49 PM
I swear, I had no memory that Christian played for the Wiz. TWolves, Hawks, Pistons.. and then it is all a blur.

-Jason "his best years were in Atlanta..." Evans

hurleyfor3
01-13-2014, 11:16 AM
The hammer dropped at $119,500. Not sure whether that includes "buyers premium" (ie, the auction house's vig).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10286072/christian-laettner-game-worn-jersey-1992-duke-kentucky-game-sells-119500

BD80
01-13-2014, 11:20 AM
I swear, I had no memory that Christian played for the Wiz. TWolves, Hawks, Pistons.. and then it is all a blur.

-Jason "his best years were in Atlanta..." Evans

Absolutely untrue. He got into a fistfight with Stackhouse on the Pistons charter plane.

sagegrouse
01-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Absolutely untrue. He got into a fistfight with Stackhouse on the Pistons charter plane.

Actually, Stackhouse punched him. Afterwards, Laettner delivered this zinger: "I don't get into fights at 40,000 feet. I have an education."

BD80
01-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Actually, Stackhouse punched him. Afterwards, Laettner delivered this zinger: "I don't get into fights at 40,000 feet. I have an education."

But Stackhouse got a degree from unc ... ohhhh ...

sagegrouse
01-13-2014, 11:51 AM
The hammer dropped at $119,500. Not sure whether that includes "buyers premium" (ie, the auction house's vig).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10286072/christian-laettner-game-worn-jersey-1992-duke-kentucky-game-sells-119500

Duke grad and megacapitalist, David Rubenstein, bought a copy of the Magna Carta and put it on "permanent loan" at the U.S. National Archives in DC. Some of you may have attended a Duke event there.

Mebbe, just mebbe, he's the winning bidder and we will get to see the jersey at Duke.

sage
'BTW Rubenstein is an entertaining and enlightening speaker -- don't miss a chance to hear him'

duke96
01-13-2014, 01:25 PM
'BTW Rubenstein is an entertaining and enlightening speaker -- don't miss a chance to hear him'

Remarkably, he has made an entire career of it.