PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people miss the old Big East? (Cincy 44 Pitt 43)

awhom111
12-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Seriously, what nostalgia am I missing here?

OldPhiKap
12-17-2013, 09:42 PM

Dickie V is calling for six fouls per game, so there's that.

Newton_14
12-17-2013, 09:54 PM

Just think, without the new rules providing freedom of movement, this game may have been a boring contest with the final score in the 20's or something..

-jk
12-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Yikes! The box score (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400496916) is truly awful!

Neither team could crack 40% from the floor or 25% from 3. The only impressive stat was rebounding - the amazing number of misses!

-jk

Turk
12-19-2013, 03:00 AM
I was there in person and my eyeballs are still bleeding. What a brickfest. Such a contrast with Florida / Memphis in the second game. They scored more in a half than Pitt / Cincy scored the entire game. I felt like I was watching a high school CYO game out there...

Guys would get open for a good look, and then the shot would come out of their hands with sidespin. It was as if a catcher was calling for the slider or curve. #BurnTheTape

On the plus side, they played the entire Jimmy V ESPN speech at halftime. Still gives me chills after all these years; gonna have to tip a 40 in his name... #DontEverGiveUp

wilko
12-19-2013, 10:30 AM

When I was a kid, I used to work in a movie theater. Working so close to the popcorn, its hard not to develop a special taste for the way YOU like your popcorn as opposed to the way the general populous like theirs... At one time it was 90% seasoning with a bit of corn in there somewhere.... Not standard fare for the average movie goer.

I get the feeling that a lot of sports writers are forcing THEIR preference of popcorn on the rest of us... so to speak..
They want an exciting game to watch, they don't necessarily always care who wins.

Forget having the game be exciting. No really - Duke could field a team of guys that are my age, height and weight and I would still watch.

My point central point...
As long as my team wins - that's all the entertainment I need.
Getting players in foul trouble is part of the strategy of the GAME.

If you want track and field events - then go watch track and field.

allenmurray
12-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Dickie V is bad at math. I've heard him make that statement, and then justify it by saying that they get 6 fouls in the NBA. Let's see, NBA games are 48 minutes long. 48/6 = 8. college games are 40 minutes long. 40/5 = 8. They get the same number of fouls per minute played.