PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Gardner Webb Pre-game and In-game Thread

Bob Green
12-16-2013, 08:48 AM
I think we have a game tonight so post your thoughts here.

mattman91
12-16-2013, 08:59 AM
I nearly entered off season depression over the last couple weeks.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that is ready to see if Sheed "did what he needed to do" over the break, Whatever that means. It is obvious that we need his game to elevate on both sides of the ball for us to be an elite team heading into conference play.

Will K use his bench, It has he cut down to a 7 or 8 man rotation already? I would love to see Marshall's passion and effectiveness we saw against Michigan.

Is it 7 yet?

flyingdutchdevil
12-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Somehow, we are ranked #19 in Pomeroy. Garner Webb? 251. I know it's still early in the season, but I think - we teams playing an average of 10 games a pop, Pomeroy does have some value.

Here are some of the other "cupcakes" and their rankings that we've played:
-Vermont: 181
-Davidson: 174
-East Carolina: 160

In other words, Garner Webb is significantly worse than the other mid-majors we've played. I know nothing about Garner Webb, but with a 143-day break, players who need to figure things out (Jefferson, Sulaimon), and a game at home, I'd be surprised if Duke doesn't win by 20.

Just my two cents.

brevity
12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
I know nothing about Garner Webb...

It's Gardner-Webb, and how soon we forget.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273110096

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- Billy Gillispie's second game as Kentucky's coach was one he'd rather forget -- and Gardner-Webb will remember for a long time.

Grayson Flittner scored 22 points to help Gardner-Webb beat the No. 20 Wildcats 84-68 Wednesday night in the 2K Sports College Hoops Classic.

flyingdutchdevil
12-16-2013, 09:18 AM

I guess my inability to spell the school's name speaks volumes about my knowledge of the team...

I remember that game at Kentucky. What was that, 6-7 years ago? Wawawewa

jv001
12-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Did Artis Gilmore once play for Garder-Webb? I saw a write up somewhere on this years team and in the article, it said they have a 6'10" player but he doesn't score or rebound very well. Outside of him, their front line is not very tall. I look for a 20-25 point win and hope to see Plumlee get some meaningful minutes. GoDuke!

superdave
12-16-2013, 09:28 AM
GW is 6-5, (http://www.gwusports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=10300&SPID=4168&SPSID=46211) has four guys averaging double figures (http://www.gwusports.com/fls/10300/pdfs/MBK-STATS.pdf), and appears to get most of their scoring from the wing positions.

sagegrouse
12-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Did Artis Gilmore once play for Garder-Webb? I saw a write up somewhere on this years team and in the article, it said they have a 6'10" player but he doesn't score or rebound very well. Outside of him, their front line is not very tall. I look for a 20-25 point win and hope to see Plumlee get some meaningful minutes. GoDuke!

Artis Gilmore played for Jacksonville in college IIRC (and there is always a first time).

BD80
12-16-2013, 09:52 AM
GW is 6-5, (http://www.gwusports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=10300&SPID=4168&SPSID=46211) has four guys averaging double figures (http://www.gwusports.com/fls/10300/pdfs/MBK-STATS.pdf), and appears to get most of their scoring from the wing positions.

And they are fresh off a 52 point victory (over Clearwater Christian). They have played fairly well in the 3 games they've had against majors, losing to Xavier by 14, Northwestern by 13 and Missouri by 9.

They beat one of my favorite schools to say: IUPUI "ewie-pooie"

Matches
12-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Usually rust is an issue following a layoff this long. I'd expect emphasis on defense early in light of that. Wouldn't be surprised to see the offense sputter a bit early.

Clearly this is a game we would win handily if it was played on paper. Insert standard disclaimer here about games and paper. After Vermont I'm not about to overlook anyone.

flyingdutchdevil
12-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Actually, I'd be surprised if Plumlee played meaningful minutes. It looks like that Marshall's cameos will come against teams with big frontlines, which GW doesn't have. I hope to see plenty of Amile, though. I think this is his kind of game.

jipops
12-16-2013, 10:48 AM
The norm is for our guys to come out sloppy during this time of year. That is what I'm expecting tonight. It could be difficult finding any rhythm after such a long layoff.

My two hopes (besides winning) are

1. to see continued improvement and attention to detail on defense and
2. Some kind of spark from Rasheed.

If we get that and a win that would be terrific.

Bay Area Duke Fan
12-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Artis Gilmore played for Jacksonville in college IIRC (and there is always a first time).

Artis Gilmore played two years at Gardner Webb before going to Jacksonville.

TruBlu
12-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Wait . . . why are we scheduling basketball games during Football season?

CDu
12-16-2013, 11:25 AM

I'd say they get a decent chunk of their scoring inside. It's just that their inside scorers are built like wing players. Their starting forwards are 6'7" 230 (10.3 ppg) and 6'5" 210 (10.8 ppg). They typically play just 3 guys taller than 6'6", and just one taller than 6'7".

Interestingly though, while they lack size on the inside, they often play quite a bit of size on the wings. Harper (6'7" 205) and Hibbert (6'5", 190) lead the team in mpg and ppg and play quite a bit at SG. That's something we've had trouble with in the past (albeit with better quality of opponent).

DukeDevil
12-16-2013, 11:47 AM
... with a 143-day break, players who need to figure things out (Jefferson, Sulaimon), and a game at home, I'd be surprised if Duke doesn't win by 20.

Just my two cents.

man, I know time crawls when you're waiting for the next game...but was it really that long??

Anyone else going to the game tonight? I'm bringing 6 friends along.

DD

flyingdutchdevil
12-16-2013, 11:59 AM
man, I know time crawls when you're waiting for the next game...but was it really that long??

Anyone else going to the game tonight? I'm bringing 6 friends along.

DD

Let's just say it felt like 143 days. Good news is that my liver likes me better.

jimsumner
12-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Gardner-Webb used to be a junior college. That explains Gilmore.

John Drew also played there.

I do not believe either will suit up tonight.

MChambers
12-16-2013, 12:09 PM
He sure did. I saw him play in college. Totally dominant. He also played at Gardner-Webb, when it was a junior college, or so Wikipedia reports.

Edit: Sumner beat me to it, as usual.

House G
12-16-2013, 12:56 PM
He sure did. I saw him play in college. Totally dominant. He also played at Gardner-Webb, when it was a junior college, or so Wikipedia reports.

Edit: Sumner beat me to it, as usual.

Ah yes, the A Train. As a big basketball fan growing up, I would always root for UCLA to lose since they seemingly won the championship every year. I pulled for Jacksonville the year they lost to UCLA and remember Gilmore well. I found this website which may be interesting to any basketball fans of that era. Hard to believe that his dad was only 5'7" tall.
http://artisgilmore53.blogspot.com

MChambers
12-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Ah yes, the A Train. As a big basketball fan growing up, I would always root for UCLA to lose since they seemingly won the championship every year. I pulled for Jacksonville the year they lost to UCLA and remember Gilmore well. I found this website which may be interesting to any basketball fans of that era. Hard to believe that his dad was only 5'7" tall.
http://artisgilmore53.blogspot.com

The power forward on that Jacksonville team was 7' Pembrook Burrows III. They also had a 6'10" forward, and sometimes started all three.

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1083197/index.htm

Burrows later became a highway patrolman. Can you imagine getting pulled over by a seven footer? (Wish he was the one who pulled P.J. over.)

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1991-06-23/news/9103050340_1_burrows-dolphins-jacksonville-university

Luckily, Gardner-Webb doesn't have anyone that big this year.

Saratoga2
12-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Usually rust is an issue following a layoff this long. I'd expect emphasis on defense early in light of that. Wouldn't be surprised to see the offense sputter a bit early.

Clearly this is a game we would win handily if it was played on paper. Insert standard disclaimer here about games and paper. After Vermont I'm not about to overlook anyone.

Teams have figured out that you can give Duke trouble by doubling Jabari and Rodney and laying off of Tyler and Josh. For every action, there is a reaction and perhaps coach K will use Andre, Matt and Marshall more this game.

Kedsy
12-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Teams have figured out that you can give Duke trouble by doubling Jabari and Rodney and laying off of Tyler and Josh. For every action, there is a reaction and perhaps coach K will use Andre, Matt and Marshall more this game.

Marshall doesn't have to be guarded outside of five feet any more than Josh does. Other than offensive rebounding, I'm not sure how playing Marshall more can help solve the problem you've identified.

CDu
12-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Marshall doesn't have to be guarded outside of five feet any more than Josh does. Other than offensive rebounding, I'm not sure how playing Marshall more can help solve the problem you've identified.

Yeah, if anything, Plumlee exacerbates the issue of doubling Parker, because I'd be much more worried about Hairston hitting a 15-footer than I would Plumlee from that distance (and that's even considering that I don't think Hairston is a good shooter).

I can see potential value in playing Plumlee over Hairston. But that would be (as you mentioned) offensive rebounding and (potentially) interior presence on defense. It certainly wouldn't be to address the doubling of Hood and Parker.

-bdbd
12-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Wait . . . why are we scheduling basketball games during Football season?

Yeah, we never used to do that!

:rolleyes:

MChambers
12-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah, if anything, Plumlee exacerbates the issue of doubling Parker, because I'd be much more worried about Hairston hitting a 15-footer than I would Plumlee from that distance (and that's even considering that I don't think Hairston is a good shooter).

I can see potential value in playing Plumlee over Hairston. But that would be (as you mentioned) offensive rebounding and (potentially) interior presence on defense. It certainly wouldn't be to address the doubling of Hood and Parker.
But if Marshall rolls to the basket, he's more of a threat than Josh is, because Josh isn't that big or explosive.

Kedsy
12-16-2013, 03:31 PM
But if Marshall rolls to the basket, he's more of a threat than Josh is, because Josh isn't that big or explosive.

If Jabari and/or Rodney are being doubled, there's not a lot of help on the roller. Josh can hit an unguarded layup as well as Marshall and, frankly, if the D recovers enough to stop Josh, we haven't really seen Marshall score in that sort of contested situation yet anyway.

As CDu says, there are reasons why Marshall may be an advantage over Josh, but this isn't one of them.

Newton_14
12-16-2013, 03:43 PM

This game was also the reason we now have that really crappy rule where "big name" teams in these early "tournaments" gets to advance to the "quarterfinals" even if said "big name" teams gets their shorts handed to them by "little name" school. I'm all for the early tourney's but let's make them real please. Lose and you are out.

I am heading to the game tonight. Looking forward to seeing the guys again. Rust or not, hoping to see improvements, especially on defense and from Amile and Rasheed.

Go Duke!!

Dukehky
12-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Jerry Richardson gave them a lot of money, which is why they are D-1 meow.

jv001
12-16-2013, 03:59 PM
If Jabari and/or Rodney are being doubled, there's not a lot of help on the roller. Josh can hit an unguarded layup as well as Marshall and, frankly, if the D recovers enough to stop Josh, we haven't really seen Marshall score in that sort of contested situation yet anyway.

As CDu says, there are reasons why Marshall may be an advantage over Josh, but this isn't one of them.

What I'm hoping for with Marshall, is to see improvement in offensive rebounding and better defense. If he can play in the Duke system demonstrating he has good hands, can box out and make baskets when he is fed the ball, I'll be satisfied. If this happens to be true, I'd rather see Marshall rolling to the basket after setting a pick than I had Josh. I guess I'm hoping to see some "Zoubs" moments from Marshall. GoDuke!

azzefkram
12-16-2013, 04:00 PM
frankly, if the D recovers enough to stop Josh, we haven't really seen Marshall score in that sort of contested situation yet anyway.

Which of his two missed shots showed you this?

mgtr
12-16-2013, 04:00 PM

Why would he do that? He went to Wofford - where he was pretty big-time.

BD80
12-16-2013, 04:06 PM
man, I know time crawls when you're waiting for the next game...but was it really that long?? ...

Just read some of the threads over the last week or two - it was a REALLY long time to have nothing to talk about.

Marshall is a far more effective target for Jabari if they are doubling Jabari with a low post defender than Josh would be. Jabari can pass over the top - lob to Marshall at the rim.

Eakane
12-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Which of his two missed shots showed you this?

If Rasheed returns to his form from last year, and can give us 12-14 ppg, it opens up the options for K to use MPIII. A freshman Rasheed redux gives us 4 serous scoring threats on the floor. What more, then, could you ask for, than having a (near) 7-footer, who runs the floor and bangs like hell, clogs up the interior (in a good way) rebounds and gives you 1-2 put backs a game?

Well, to answer my own question, I'd like Okafor to matriculate for the spring semester. :-)

But with Cook, Parker, Hood and a reborn Rasheed, I think we could afford to see MPIII getting major mnutes.

I understand why hes not there yet, but what would be the harm of trying to see if he can give you 20 mpg? Especially in three of the next four games? What's the harm of trying?

Marshall is not the player Mason is, and likely never will be. But that's not what this team needs.

I like this team. I like that we can go to Dawkins for instant offense; I like that we can rely on Jones and TT to harass a player like Stauskis to the point of making him a non-factor; I like the passion that JH, AJ and MPIII play with; I like watching QC run the offense and lead the defense; I love watchig how smooth Parker and Hood are, and how they make the game seem easy.

All I want for Christmas is to see Rasheed return to his freshman form.

CDu
12-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Exactly. Not to mention that we aren't sure how good Plumlee's hands are. So he may even be less likely to finish the uncontested play than Hairston by virtue of a higher risk of fumbling the pass.

MChambers
12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Exactly. Not to mention that we aren't sure how good Plumlee's hands are. So he may even be less likely to finish the uncontested play than Hairston by virtue of a higher risk of fumbling the pass.
It's not like Josh has Elton Brand's hands. I agree that we're not sure about Marshall's hands, but I believe he is more likely to be able to catch and finish rolling to the basket. He's also more likely to be able to post up.

So we firmly disagree on this.

CDu
12-16-2013, 04:54 PM
It's not like Josh has Elton Brand's hands. I agree that we're not sure about Marshall's hands, but I believe he is more likely to be able to catch and finish rolling to the basket. He's also more likely to be able to post up.

So we firmly disagree on this.

Yes, we firmly disagree on this. I'm not saying Hairston has great hands. But I have seen him actually catch a pass on a roll to the basket and finish. I've not seen that from Plumlee (but I have seen Plumlee fumble away a few opportunities rolling to the basket). I also have not seen Plumlee successfully post anyone up (again I've seen a couple of examples to the contrary), so I'm not sure where your confidence in his abilities arises.

Plumlee has the potential (e.g., height, leaping ability) to be more effective near the basket than Hairston. He has not yet shown anything close to the skill set to do so, though.

NYBri
12-16-2013, 05:03 PM

You are correct. He did play for Jacksonville.

sagegrouse
12-16-2013, 05:39 PM

I remember (truly) that he played for Wofford.

GGLC
12-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Is this game being televised? (I could check the DBR front page, but the last time I did that I looked for several minutes and couldn't find the relevant schedule information, which seems to have disappeared in this new format -- or else I'm just poor at looking for it, which is a possibility)

jv001
12-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Is this game being televised? (I could check the DBR front page, but the last time I did that I looked for several minutes and couldn't find the relevant schedule information, which seems to have disappeared in this new format.)

ESPNU, GoDuke!

sagegrouse
12-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Is this game being televised? (I could check the DBR front page, but the last time I did that I looked for several minutes and couldn't find the relevant schedule information, which seems to have disappeared in this new format -- or else I'm just poor at looking for it, which is a possibility)

The schedule is accessed through the Resources tab, on the right at the top of this page. It's a link to the GoDuke.com schedule.

slower
12-16-2013, 05:50 PM
is this game being televised? (i could check the dbr front page, but the last time i did that i looked for several minutes and couldn't find the relevant schedule information, which seems to have disappeared in this new format -- or else i'm just poor at looking for it, which is a possibility)

espnu

-jk
12-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Let's shake off that rust!

DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open. Let's go Duke!

-jk

_Gary
12-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Very lackluster start on defense thus far. And that's probably an understatement. But the offense has been very good.

CDu
12-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Dawkins can still shoot, though he did miss a couple of switches on defense. Cook has looked great except for one bad pass. Duke is clearly much better than G-W.

pfrduke
12-16-2013, 07:21 PM
9 minutes in and every Gardner-Webb possession has ended with a made shot or a turnover.

pfrduke
12-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Our first defensive rebound came with 10:25 to go in the first half.

CDu
12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
G-W's PG has some serious skills. If only he were a little taller.

_Gary
12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Defense has picked up substantially over the last 3 or 4 minutes. Turnovers and missed shots leading to some quick offense and we are looking much better!

ncexnyc
12-16-2013, 07:29 PM
WOW, that was fast. From 24-18, to suddenly a 16 pt lead. I should walk away more often.

Potato Head
12-16-2013, 07:29 PM
As much as this team sometimes seems like they don't know what they're doing on either end of the floor, it does seem like they genuinely enjoy playing with each other. Which is something that's almost impossible to coach or win without having. Still optimistic for March success.

kdavis
12-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Is it just me or does GW have the worst uniforms ever? No idea who is who on that team (or, since I don't know anybody, which number is which) except when ESPNU zooms in with the court side cameras.

Ggallagher
12-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Is it just me or does GW have the worst uniforms ever? No idea who is who on that team (or, since I don't know anybody, which number is which) except when ESPNU zooms in with the court side cameras.

I thought the same thing. Hopefully they're a little more easily distinguished live and on the court. If not, I'm not sure how the refs figure out who anyone is.

Furniture
12-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Any link to a box score?

-jk
12-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Any link to a box score?

linky (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGameMobile.asp?hSchedule=19980)

-jk

CR9
12-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Not great defensively so far.

dairedevil
12-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Is it just me or does GW have the worst uniforms ever?

Nah, I can think of several that were certainly uglier...NCSU unitard? UK zigzag shorts? and could somebody tell me what baby blue argyle has to do with basketball?

No, Gardner-Webb's uniforms just aren't designed well for tv viewing.

CLW
12-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Well the "defense" still needs work. This just may be the way it goes this year. However, when you have severe issues stopping the drive and/or defending decent bigs in the post that could spell for an early March exit particularly if you have an off shooting night.

dukelifer
12-16-2013, 07:53 PM
GW is shooting 63% - and down by 14. The PG is giving Duke fits.

DU82
12-16-2013, 07:54 PM
I thought the same thing. Hopefully they're a little more easily distinguished live and on the court. If not, I'm not sure how the refs figure out who anyone is.

They're not any easier to read in Cameron, either.

jv001
12-16-2013, 07:54 PM
We are still having problems on the switches up top. Creates lot's of guys getting beaten off the dribble. Hope the D get's better in the 2nd half. GoDuke!

CDu
12-16-2013, 07:57 PM
GW is shooting 63% - and down by 14. The PG is giving Duke fits.

That kid is good. If he were 6'2" instead of 5'9"-5'10", he'd probably be worthy of a BCS school. Just too small. But he has some serious skills.

jipops
12-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Overall, I'd say the defense has been awful. I don't really care that the offense is clicking against a bottom feeder of div 1. G-W is about to hang 80 points on us on very easy looks.

I know they are coming off break but it is discouraging to see this team still lack so much attention to detail.

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:01 PM
So yes there were some defensive lapses, but once again the less talented team is allowed to be MUCH more physical. Officiating pretty much handed them 6 pts over the last min. Hood goes all the way down, gets bumped goin up, no call. Now I don't pay attention to other top tier programs so I don't know if it has been the case for the. As well, but it is starting to become annoying

CR9
12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Annoying that they aren't switching screens again. That's lead to at least 4 wide open looks from 3.

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
I take it back. This team just can't play D

SupaDave
12-16-2013, 08:13 PM
That kid is good. If he were 6'2" instead of 5'9"-5'10", he'd probably be worthy of a BCS school. Just too small. But he has some serious skills.

Glad you weren't Mugsey Bogues' advisor!!!

CDu
12-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Glad you weren't Mugsey Bogues' advisor!!!

Just saying why a guy like that gets overlooked, not that little guys can't play at the ACC level.

SupaDave
12-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Just saying why a guy like that gets overlooked, not that little guys can't play at the ACC level.

True dat. All depends on your hype machine.

http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tyler_lewis_802139.html

CDu
12-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Man we are running all sorts of plays for Dawkins tonight. And he is producing!

Gthoma2a
12-16-2013, 08:22 PM

For all of the people who were overlooking him and saying that he just couldn't produce like Rasheed, they may just be eating those words. He is one of our most dangerous weapons on offense, and he isn't playing worse than anyone else on D.

g-money
12-16-2013, 08:24 PM

I am enjoying seeing him in the Vinnie Johnson role. I hope it continues as the games get tougher.

Andre "the Microwave" Dawkins doesn't quite seem to fit. But the instant offense is fun to watch.

Dukeblue91
12-16-2013, 08:25 PM
For all of the people who were overlooking him and saying that he just couldn't produce like Rasheed, they may just be eating those words. He is one of our most dangerous weapons on offense, and he isn't playing worse than anyone else on D.

Ain't that the truth.
I have to say that I'm very happy for Andre although I wished Rasheed was doing good too.

SupaDave
12-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Cameron Crazies playing defense! I see ya with the scream at the 3 point shot.

Gthoma2a
12-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Ain't that the truth.
I have to say that I'm very happy for Andre although I wished Rasheed was doing good too.

Me, too, but he will get there. He just has to find an up-swing. For some of these guys, it is a roller-coaster.

Gthoma2a
12-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Jay has got to get over the fear of sounding like he went to Duke.

CDu
12-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Well, he's right in this case. That should have been a blocking foul.

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:30 PM
I still don't know if I have ever seen a former Dukie that love UNC as much as Williams. His constant dialogue about the bad things about Duke is quite frustrating to listen too as well

Gthoma2a
12-16-2013, 08:30 PM

I am talking about his commentary, in general. Every compliment he pays to Duke has to be followed with a compliment to another team included immediately after.

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:32 PM

You beat me to it. If you think that is bad, follow him on Twitter.....SMH

FerryFor50
12-16-2013, 08:32 PM
I still don't know if I have ever seen a former Dukie that love UNC as much as Williams. His constant dialogue about the bad things about Duke is quite frustrating to listen too as well

Are you listening to a different broadcast?

How do you extrapolate calling a block correctly into loving UNC??

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:33 PM

Maybe it was, but talking about for 5 mins was a little too much

Gthoma2a
12-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Amile is tall enough to dunk. Could someone tell him that?

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Are you listening to a different broadcast?

How do you extrapolate calling a block correctly into loving UNC??

I never said his constant complementing of UNC had anything to do with a block call.

FerryFor50
12-16-2013, 08:35 PM

No, it definitely was. Bad call that fouled out a player. Definitely doesn't help combat the "Duke gets all the calls" narrative.

vick
12-16-2013, 08:36 PM

Well, it was dead air otherwise (the refs were at the monitor), so it wasn't like one of Vitale's digressions during multiple possessions or anything. And it was a frankly pretty awful call, not that it really matters in this game.

ncexnyc
Amile is tall enough to dunk. Could someone tell him that?
Can we please not go there. We had a whole thread dedicated to why Zoubek didn't dunk a few years ago. As long as the kid makes a basket, I really don't care how he scores.

FerryFor50
I never said his constant complementing of UNC had anything to do with a block call.

When during this game has he complimented UNC?

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:37 PM
No, it definitely was. Bad call that fouled out a player. Definitely doesn't help combat the "Duke gets all the calls" narrative.

Jay was first convinced that we were in the circle as well

FerryFor50
12-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Jay was first convinced that we were in the circle as well

No his point was that he just made it outside the circle, which was true.

He also was not set, even under the old rules.

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:39 PM

Top of the game

Also creating a list of the top teams in the ACC

Talking about how players like JMM and Meeks are gonna be troublesome for Parker

Gthoma2a
12-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Rasheed has got to relax and not push it. Pull up and take the floater or pass it back out. You're never going to get it all back on one play, so just make smart little plays.

FerryFor50
12-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Top of the game

Also creating a list of the top teams in the ACC

Talking about how players like JMM and Meeks are gonna be troublesome for Parker

Didn't hear any of that. Not saying he didn't say it, but when you talk about Duke, UNC is bound to come up. Especially in a blowout.

But none of that sounds like UNC love.

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:42 PM
It's not like it's the First time either one of our Jays have been questioned about trying extremely hard to prove they aren't Duke Homers.

I am still trying to remember one compliment he has made about the entire team

GGLC
12-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Ugly, crappy, sloppy second half.

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:43 PM
D was better in the 2nd half

Gthoma2a
12-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Ugly, crappy, sloppy second half.

Not as bad as in the first half. We were on our way to conceding 78.

FerryFor50
12-16-2013, 08:44 PM
It's not like it's the First time either one of our Jays have been questioned about trying extremely hard to prove he isn't a Duke homer

I am still trying to remember one compliment he has made about the entire team

Heck that's this entire BOARD. Duke fans are kinda hard on their team. Tough love. :)

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Heck that's this entire BOARD. Duke fans are kinda hard on their team. Tough love. :)

I suppose, I just do all of my yelling at the TV... Much more therapeutic

FerryFor50
12-16-2013, 08:49 PM
I suppose, I just do all of my yelling at the TV... Much more therapeutic

I just heard Jay say some nice things about Quinn Cook and his matured leadership.

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:51 PM
I know, but his compliments are always individual based, he just will not compliment the team as a whole, that's what I am trying to get at

Gthoma2a
12-16-2013, 08:53 PM
I just heard Jay say some nice things about Quinn Cook and his matured leadership.

With that being said, I disagree with him. Quinn has always been a leader, but he has learned to be more stable. He was a fiery leader. I remember watching him try to lead his team to a tournament championship (Oak Hill) after the McDonald's All-American team. He played his butt off and he pushed them. His problem was that his frustration sometimes led the team to volatility. It is just a commentator thing, though.

FerryFor50
12-16-2013, 08:55 PM
With that being said, I disagree with him. Quinn has always been a leader, but he has learned to be more stable. He was a fiery leader. I remember watching him try to lead his team to a tournament championship (Oak Hill) after the McDonald's All-American team. He played his butt off and he pushed them. His problem was that his frustration sometimes led the team to volatility. It is just a commentator thing, though.

No, last year he hung his head a lot, and his body language was bad for team morale.

He is fiery and emotional but needed to learn to channel it into being positive.

DBFAN
12-16-2013, 08:55 PM

Yeah
I know, but his compliments are always individual based, he just will not compliment the team as a whole, that's what I am trying to get at

FerryFor50
12-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Really? An airball chant up 19 with 10 seconds left against a borderline D1 opponent?

Gthoma2a
12-16-2013, 08:57 PM
No, last year he hung his head a lot, and his body language was bad for team morale.

He is fiery and emotional but needed to learn to channel it into being positive.

Only guy fired up at Maryland last year, IMO

Dukeface88
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Really? An airball chant up 19 with 10 seconds left against a borderline D1 opponent?

Well, if you're gonna shoot it instead of letting the clock wind down, you should be prepared for the potential consequences.

Gthoma2a
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Biancardi needs to get over Wiggins. I would think that myth of him being better than Parker would be dispelled by now.

duke4ever19
12-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Well, if you're gonna shoot it instead of letting the clock wind down, you should be prepared for the potential consequences.

Yep. You take the shot and miss that badly, you are begging for it in any arena.

Duvall
12-16-2013, 09:02 PM

Substitute Crazies aren't going to appreciate all the nuances of high-level cheering.

DownEastDevil
12-16-2013, 09:07 PM

He did pump the Heels up quite a bit the start of the 2nd half. He said that Duke couldn't match up with Syracuse and UNC and picked Duke to finish 3rd in the ACC behind those two. I don't have a problem with him saying that if it is his true opinion, it just makes it better when we prove him wrong and I remind him on is twitter feed.

FerryFor50
12-16-2013, 09:10 PM
He did pump the Heels up quite a bit the start of the 2nd half. He said that Duke couldn't match up with Syracuse and UNC and picked Duke to finish 3rd in the ACC behind those two. I don't have a problem with him saying that if it is his true opinion, it just makes it better when we prove him wrong and I remind him on is twitter feed.

I wonder if Coach K ever calls these ex-Duke commentators on that kind of stuff. :)