PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe in the NY Times Crossword?

sagegrouse
12-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Did anyone else work the NY Times Sunday crossword today (Dec. 15)? The title is "A Cut above the Rest." And the solution emphasizes the letters C-U-T. I wondered if it was a hidden tribute to David Cutcliffe. Get it? "A Cut above the Rest." Hmmmmm......

The author is Jeff Chen (the editor of the puzzles is Will Shortz). Is Jeff or Will (more likely Jeff) putting in a puzzle that praises Coach Cutcliffe? (The letters C, U, and T are a big deal in the solution!) Well, there is at least one Jeff Chen at Duke. He appears to be an undergrad, but then a lot of the puzzle authors are young. Any clues, fellow posters?

sage

OldPhiKap
12-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Did anyone else work the NY Times Sunday crossword today (Dec. 15)? The title is "A Cut above the Rest." And the solution emphasizes the letters C-U-T. I wondered if it was a hidden tribute to David Cutcliffe. Get it? "A Cut above the Rest." Hmmmmm......

The author is Jeff Chen (the editor of the puzzles is Will Shortz). Is Jeff or Will (more likely Jeff) putting in a puzzle that praises Coach Cutcliffe? (The letters C, U, and T are a big deal in the solution!) Well, there is at least one Jeff Chen at Duke. He appears to be an undergrad, but then a lot of the puzzle authors are young. Any clues, fellow posters?

sage

Been following Will Shortz since he was at Games magazine. Indiana grad, Virginia law school grad. So sports are far from unknown to him I would think.

Was it a nine letter word? Seems like a long one. And outside of Durham, I think that clue would draw a blank.

sagegrouse
12-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Been following Will Shortz since he was at Games magazine. Indiana grad, Virginia law school grad. So sports are far from unknown to him I would think.

Was it a nine letter word? Seems like a long one. And outside of Durham, I think that clue would draw a blank.

Nope. I'll put the answer in white ink below, to avoid spoiling it (just highlight it with your cursor to read it). It deals with C-U-T, not the full name.

There is a pattern of C's forming a C; another of U's forming a U; and one of T's making a T.

sage

OldPhiKap
12-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Well, it ain't "Saban" so let's call it for David!

weezie
12-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Wow sage, you are one smart guy. I like to wave my pen at the crosswords and then move on to the Galanes social etiquette column and brunch.