PDA

View Full Version : ESPN ranks Mason second best rookie so far

gwlaw99
12-12-2013, 12:18 AM
www.netsdaily.com/2013/12/3/5171002/espn-rookie-rankings-mason-plumlee-ranked-second

g-money
12-12-2013, 12:42 AM
It's great to see Mason succeeding in the Association. Same goes for his big brother.

On a related note, could 2013 be the year NBA scouts and execs finally realize the folly of de-valuing a "known quantity" in the draft?

Edit: As I type, Draymond Green is making a bunch of money plays for the Warriors...

Edouble
12-12-2013, 01:36 AM
It's great to see Mason succeeding in the Association. Same goes for his big brother.

On a related note, could 2013 be the year NBA scouts and execs finally realize the folly of de-valuing a "known quantity" in the draft?

Edit: As I type, Draymond Green is making a bunch of money plays for the Warriors...

Yeah, but no way does Miles go in the first round if he's not drafted to a large part on potential. His "known quantity" following college was not NBA worthy. Certainly not first round.

grad_devil
12-12-2013, 01:40 AM
...how good Mason would've been if Duke could develop big men :-P

DukieInBrasil
12-12-2013, 08:00 AM
the article says Mason doesn't project to be a star or maybe even a starter, which i found kinda odd. Sure, i can see how MP2 might not ever be an NBA star, but people have always said that MP2 is more talented/better player than MP1, and MP1 is starting right now and getting generally rave reviews. How is it that MP2 doesn't project to be a starter?
Anyway, MP2 is shooting 74% near the rim and 68% overall!?!? It's a good thing he got that 3pt shot out of his system. I'm glad to see him playing well so far. Does the author's thought that MP2 would spend more time in the D-League reflect more on MP2's projected output or more on the "Duke can't develop big men" mantra?

flyingdutchdevil
12-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Firstly, congrats to Mason. That is just an awesome accomplishment.

However, Mason is averaging only 6.6 pt and 3.1 rebounds a game. Most of that is attributed to the fact that Coach Kidd has zero idea what he is doing.

But I think it also shows how poor this year's rookie class is. When a player putting up 6.6/3.1 is considered the second best player, that is just plain old bad.

burns15
12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Firstly, congrats to Mason. That is just an awesome accomplishment.

However, Mason is averaging only 6.6 pt and 3.1 rebounds a game. Most of that is attributed to the fact that Coach Kidd has zero idea what he is doing.

But I think it also shows how poor this year's rookie class is. When a player putting up 6.6/3.1 is considered the second best player, that is just plain old bad.

He's only playing 17 minutes a game, so I agree with you that Kidd has no idea what he's doing. Give him starter's minutes, which essentially doubles his numbers, and you are looking at quite a solid start for a rookie. Especially a big man, who usually takes longer to get adjusted to the league than a guard/forward.

superdave
12-12-2013, 12:25 PM
He's only playing 17 minutes a game, so I agree with you that Kidd has no idea what he's doing. Give him starter's minutes, which essentially doubles his numbers, and you are looking at quite a solid start for a rookie. Especially a big man, who usually takes longer to get adjusted to the league than a guard/forward.

Hall of Famer Kevin Garnett and All-Star Brook Lopez are the starters. Mason may get more minutes because Garnett is old. But Mason is no Garnett or Lopez. Lopez is averaging 21 ppg right now.

flyingdutchdevil
12-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Hall of Famer Kevin Garnett and All-Star Brook Lopez are the starters. Mason may get more minutes because Garnett is old. But Mason is no Garnett or Lopez. Lopez is averaging 21 ppg right now.

And Kidd is no coach. I 100% agree that Mason shouldn't be starting, but Garnett has a PER of 11.80 and Mason has a PER of 17.76. Plus, what Garnett brings to the table is leadership and defense, attributes that are vital for the latter part of the season. Give Mason more responsibility now and rest Garnett as much as possible. I still think the Nets can make noise, but they need to do a lot more reshuffling (and Kidd needs to take a back seat. What a disaster he's been)

Billy Dat
12-12-2013, 12:53 PM
I still think the Nets can make noise, but they need to do a lot more reshuffling (and Kidd needs to take a back seat. What a disaster he's been)

Let's be clear, FDD, Kidd is the one who tells people where to sit and how to sit! (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1883058-jason-kidd-reportedly-dressed-down-lawrence-frank-before-demotion)

superdave
12-12-2013, 02:01 PM
And Kidd is no coach.

Kidd may not be a coach but he pours his drink out trying.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10048642/jason-kidd-calls-hit-spill-drink-ice-free-throw-shooter

Double DD
12-12-2013, 05:07 PM

http://nba.si.com/2013/12/11/all-nightmare-team-raymond-felton-richard-jefferson-tayshaun-prince-kevin-garnett-kendrick-perkins/

Garnett might be one of the worst starters in the NBA right now.

jv001
12-13-2013, 07:43 AM

I think Lopez was injured in last nights game against the Clips. GoDuke!

DukieInBrasil
12-13-2013, 05:50 PM
I think Lopez was injured in last nights game against the Clips. GoDuke!

as in he got injured during the game? Cuz he scored 21 in the game, as did Blatche. The 2 Cs listed for the Nets totalled 42 points, solid.

AtlDuke72
12-14-2013, 01:27 PM
the article says Mason doesn't project to be a star or maybe even a starter, which i found kinda odd. Sure, i can see how MP2 might not ever be an NBA star, but people have always said that MP2 is more talented/better player than MP1, and MP1 is starting right now and getting generally rave reviews. How is it that MP2 doesn't project to be a starter?
Anyway, MP2 is shooting 74% near the rim and 68% overall!?!? It's a good thing he got that 3pt shot out of his system. I'm glad to see him playing well so far. Does the author's thought that MP2 would spend more time in the D-League reflect more on MP2's projected output or more on the "Duke can't develop big men" mantra?

I am very happy to see that Mason is doing well and that it looks like he will have an NBA career. It is hard to see how he will ever be a star or even a starter , however, if he has no ablity to shoot outside of dunks or shots close to the rim. I really don't remember him ever making a jump shot in college.

DukieInBrasil
12-14-2013, 02:00 PM
I am very happy to see that Mason is doing well and that it looks like he will have an NBA career. It is hard to see how he will ever be a star or even a starter , however, if he has no ablity to shoot outside of dunks or shots close to the rim. I really don't remember him ever making a jump shot in college.

His brother is starting with essentially the same skillset. Miles can shoot the spot up mid-range jumper better than Mason, but Mason has a better hook/jump hook than Miles. There's lots of guys who are starters in the NBA who have no jump shot. I find it odd that people think it's difficult to see him as a starter in the NBA. He's big, very athletic, runs well, jumps high and has shown continual improvement over time.