PDA

View Full Version : Jabari Parker article - USA Today

FerryFor50
12-11-2013, 10:24 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/acc/2013/12/10/duke-jabari-parker-spotlight-true-to-himself/3964679/

Solidifying the idea that Parker is a great kid.

miramar
12-12-2013, 12:04 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/acc/2013/12/10/duke-jabari-parker-spotlight-true-to-himself/3964679/

Solidifying the idea that Parker is a great kid.

He even seems to have the Pope's blessing!

jay
12-12-2013, 10:38 AM
A little surprised the article didn't delve at all into the possibility of Jabari still going on his Mormon mission after this season. He put the kibosh on going immediately after graduating high school, but didn't definitively say he wouldn't be going at all, ever.

I'm sure he's just focused on working hard this season and we won't hear anything about it until after March, but it's still certainly on the back of my mind in regards to next year.

flyingdutchdevil
12-12-2013, 01:55 PM
DBR had this gem on a front page article:

We're not buying the Carmelo Anthony comparison either. The shooting and size we can see, but Anthony is a much more limited player.

WHAT? Melo is seen as one of the most elite offensive players in the NBA. He led the NBA in scoring last year. Melo is an amazing rebounder for his position (when he was playing SF, he averaged around 6 rebounds a game. Now, as the PF, over 9). Melo isn't an elite defender (and some would argue he's mediocre or even subpar), but neither is Jabari.

If Jabari becomes the next Melo, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Are we expecting Jabari to be the "next big thing" (following in the lines of Bird / Magic, MJ, Lebron)? I hope that happens, but lets be a little realistic here. That only happens once every decade.

Melo is a 6x NBA All-Star. He's been on an All-NBA Team 6 times (2 Second Teams, 4 Third Teams). Let's give him a little more credit.

grad_devil
12-12-2013, 02:19 PM
DBR had this gem on a front page article:

WHAT? Melo is seen as one of the most elite offensive players in the NBA. He led the NBA in scoring last year. Melo is an amazing rebounder for his position (when he was playing SF, he averaged around 6 rebounds a game. Now, as the PF, over 9). Melo isn't an elite defender (and some would argue he's mediocre or even subpar), but neither is Jabari.

If Jabari becomes the next Melo, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Are we expecting Jabari to be the "next big thing" (following in the lines of Bird / Magic, MJ, Lebron)? I hope that happens, but lets be a little realistic here. That only happens once every decade.

Melo is a 6x NBA All-Star. He's been on an All-NBA Team 6 times (2 Second Teams, 4 Third Teams). Let's give him a little more credit.

Not to speak for DBR, but I believe they meant that they hope Jabari is a more complete player, not limited like Carmelo.

I believe Carmelo is generally seen as an offensive juggernaut that can (sometimes) be a black-hole, and plays little to no defense. I've also read that he may be not be the consummate teammate.

Just my $0.02,

cato
12-12-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm not the NBA watcher others are, but I recall Melo playing excellent defense for Team USA under Coach K.

If Jabari can approach the level of success that Melo has had, I will be very happy for him. If he can surpass it, even better, but let's keep our expectations in check a bit. Even for someone as obviously talented at Jabari.

How about we start off with hoping that Jabari achieves the same level of success in college as Melo?

flyingdutchdevil
12-12-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm not the NBA watcher others are, but I recall Melo playing excellent defense for Team USA under Coach K.

If Jabari can approach the level of success that Melo has had, I will be very happy for him. If he can surpass it, even better, but let's keep our expectations in check a bit. Even for someone as obviously talented at Jabari.

How about we start off with hoping that Jabari achieves the same level of success in college as Melo?

22 and 10 and a national championship? Sign me up

bob blue devil
12-12-2013, 03:07 PM
The Knicks stink, so it's open season on Melo. Don't get me wrong, I think Melo may not understand how to win and some of the criticisms are well founded, but I'm with you - 'limited' is the wrong critique vs. Jabari and almost anyone else.

Great to see Jabari rightly being recognized and our PR efforts bearing fruit.

gep
12-12-2013, 11:55 PM
I believe Carmelo is generally seen as an offensive juggernaut that can (sometimes) be a black-hole, and plays little to no defense. I've also read that he may be not be the consummate teammate.

I've read in other places that Carmelo is this "offensive juggernaut" on the Knicks... because he has to. And has to save himself on defense for his offense. On the other hand, on Team USA, he didn't need to be the "offensive juggernaut", and did his thing with defense... just like Kobe. (my 2 cents):cool:

Sorry... no information on being the "consumate teammate"...

flyingdutchdevil
12-13-2013, 11:48 AM
I've read in other places that Carmelo is this "offensive juggernaut" on the Knicks... because he has to. And has to save himself on defense for his offense. On the other hand, on Team USA, he didn't need to be the "offensive juggernaut", and did his thing with defense... just like Kobe. (my 2 cents):cool:

Sorry... no information on being the "consumate teammate"...

Actually, Melo scored a lot for Team USA, especially from 2006-2008. During his time with Team USA, he's averaged 15.3 ppg. That's really good and comparable with LJB, Kobe, and possibly Wade.

It's true that Melo put more energy on defense, but Melo is on Team USA for his offense, like Iggy is on the team for his defense.

NSDukeFan
12-13-2013, 01:11 PM
The Knicks stink, so it's open season on Melo. Don't get me wrong, I think Melo may not understand how to win and some of the criticisms are well founded, but I'm with you - 'limited' is the wrong critique vs. Jabari and almost anyone else.

Great to see Jabari rightly being recognized and our PR efforts bearing fruit.

I agree that Melo does not always play in a way that makes his teammates better, but he has been the best player on a national championship college team and a starter and major contributor on two gold medal winning teams. I don't think it is fair to say that he doesn't know how to win.