PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Cash named All-America

jimsumner
12-11-2013, 05:43 PM
From Duke press release

"Duke redshirt sophomore safety Jeremy Cash was named to the USA Today All-America second team, the publication announced Wednesday.

Cash, a 6-2, 210-pound native of Miami, Fla., has totaled 117 tackles, 8.0 tackles for loss, four interceptions, four pass breakups, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and two quarterback hurries while helping Duke to a 10-3 record, the ACC Coastal Division title and a berth in the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31.

Also an All-ACC first team selection, Cash has been a key piece of a Duke defense that has forced 26 turnovers and is holding opponents to 24.7 points per game. He has logged double-digit tackles in a team-high five games and ranks second in the ACC with 9.0 tackles per game. He is the only player in the conference to rank among the league’s top 10 in tackles, interceptions and forced fumbles.

With Cash’s selection, Duke has had at least one player earn All-America honors all six years of head coach David Cutcliffe’s tenure. Cash is the second Duke safety to earn All-America recognition under Cutcliffe, joining safety Matt Daniels who was a second team choice in 2011."

OldPhiKap
12-11-2013, 05:49 PM
From Duke press release

"Duke redshirt sophomore safety Jeremy Cash was named to the USA Today All-America second team, the publication announced Wednesday.

Cash, a 6-2, 210-pound native of Miami, Fla., has totaled 117 tackles, 8.0 tackles for loss, four interceptions, four pass breakups, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and two quarterback hurries while helping Duke to a 10-3 record, the ACC Coastal Division title and a berth in the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31.

Also an All-ACC first team selection, Cash has been a key piece of a Duke defense that has forced 26 turnovers and is holding opponents to 24.7 points per game. He has logged double-digit tackles in a team-high five games and ranks second in the ACC with 9.0 tackles per game. He is the only player in the conference to rank among the league’s top 10 in tackles, interceptions and forced fumbles.

With Cash’s selection, Duke has had at least one player earn All-America honors all six years of head coach David Cutcliffe’s tenure. Cash is the second Duke safety to earn All-America recognition under Cutcliffe, joining safety Matt Daniels who was a second team choice in 2011."

Congratulations Jeremy, and a nice plum for Coach Cut as well.

Tappan Zee Devil
12-11-2013, 05:52 PM
From Duke press release

excellent (or "brilliant" as my English friends would say)

and well deserved!

ChillinDuke
12-11-2013, 06:49 PM
From Duke press release

Does anyone know how often we had All-America honors in, say, the 20 seasons prior to Cutcliffe? Something tells me this is quite a testament! Not that we didn't already know how good Cut is.

Similarly, not that we didn't already know how good Jeremy Cash is. But congratulations to you, kid!

- Chillin

devildeac
12-11-2013, 08:20 PM
I guess Cut doesn't just train QBs;).

Great award!

Huge congrats!

DukieInKansas
12-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Congratulations!

flyingdutchdevil
12-12-2013, 11:58 AM
After looking at this and those who made the ACC First and Second teams, it looks like our core players are predominantly underclassmen (Juniors and younger). Is this true? If so, are we expected to be more talented next year?

If so, wow. Just wow. Cut has built a program rather than just a team.

OldPhiKap
12-12-2013, 12:02 PM
After looking at this and those who made the ACC First and Second teams, it looks like our core players are predominantly underclassmen (Juniors and younger). Is this true? If so, are we expected to be more talented next year?

We bring back a lot of very good players, and supposedly have some really good players either coming in or wearing red shirts right now.

You are exactly right on the bolded part, and Cut has repeatedly stated that his emphasis is on implementing a system that perpetuates itself. Although we were lucky to stay so healthy this year, the improvement across the board is no fluke. And if we can stay healthy next year, we should be pretty good again.

killerleft
12-12-2013, 12:10 PM
It was obvious from the first game that Mr. Cash is a special player. Congrats to you, Jeremy.

flyingdutchdevil
12-12-2013, 12:23 PM
We bring back a lot of very good players, and supposedly have some really good players either coming in or wearing red shirts right now.

You are exactly right on the bolded part, and Cut has repeatedly stated that his emphasis is on implementing a system that perpetuates itself. Although we were lucky to stay so healthy this year, the improvement across the board is no fluke. And if we can stay healthy next year, we should be pretty good again.

Are we losing any players who made an enormous impact this year? It seems like the players whose names keep on coming up - Boone, Connette, Crowder, Cash, Monday - are all juniors and younger. I know that the seniors will be difficult to replace, but I can only assume that the impact of losing our high-impact players will obviously be higher and more pronounced.

OldPhiKap
12-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Are we losing any players who made an enormous impact this year? It seems like the players whose names keep on coming up - Boone, Connette, Crowder, Cash, Monday - are all juniors and younger. I know that the seniors will be difficult to replace, but I can only assume that the impact of losing our high-impact players will obviously be higher and more pronounced.

I believe our seniors include:

Brandon Braxton
Ross Cockrell
Juwan Thompson
Perry Simmons
Dave Harding
Sydney Sarmiento
Kenny Anunike
Justin Foxx

I would consider those to be impact players, and I assume I have overlooked a few.

But looking at our roster, it is primarily underclassmen. We should be good if we are healthy. I think our offensive line may be impacted by graduation more than anything.

CDu
12-12-2013, 01:13 PM

We return almost all of our skill position players (Braxton and Thompson are seniors, but the rest of the offensive skill players are not).

On the offensive side of the ball, our big hit is on the O-line. We lose Dave Harding and Perry Simmons.

Where we take the biggest hit though is on defense. We lose our best CB (Cockrell), almost our entire starting D-line (Anunike, Foxx, Sarmiento), and one of our safeties (Young-Wiseman).

And there is always the outside chance that a guy could decide to go pro following a terrific year (e.g., Cash, Crowder). That's not likely, but as we get to be a better football team it becomes a more plausible risk.

flyingdutchdevil
12-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Thanks PhiKap and CDu for that breakdown. Very helpful.