PDA

View Full Version : NAIA "allows" player to keep prize money

94duke
12-11-2013, 09:26 AM
A player for Southwestern College hit a half-court shot at an OKC Thunder game and won $20,000. NAIA originally said he would forfeit his amateur status if he kept the money. The college appealed, and all parties agreed he could keep the money as a scholarship. I guess that's better than not getting to keep the money at all. I wonder what the NCAA would have done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20131210/naia-player-can-keep-20k-won-on-half-court-shot/

flyingdutchdevil
12-11-2013, 09:34 AM
A player for Southwestern College hit a half-court shot at an OKC Thunder game and won $20,000. NAIA originally said he would forfeit his amateur status if he kept the money. The college appealed, and all parties agreed he could keep the money as a scholarship. I guess that's better than not getting to keep the money at all. I wonder what the NCAA would have done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20131210/naia-player-can-keep-20k-won-on-half-court-shot/

Easy. They would suspend the player until a formal decision. This formal decision would take 7 months, after which the player missed the entire season. The NCAA would comment that the player is suspended for another year because he wore his university-issued basketball shoes to the OKC game. Furthermore, they strip the school of 3 scholarships for supplying the remainder of the players with 2.4% more Gatorade than legally allowed.

Meanwhile, a film crew catches Calipari giving Karl Towns $100,000 in cash and courtside tickets to the Knicks. The NCAA comments that UK did nothing wrong because UK provided the money and tickets in an official NCAA-labeled envelope.

Duvall
12-11-2013, 09:51 AM
The hypothetical NCAA is the worst, amirite?

Wander
12-11-2013, 02:50 PM
I wonder what the NCAA would have done.

Pretty cut and dry, actually - there's a specific rule that says if an NCAA athlete wins a prize in a contest where the athlete was chosen at random, it's fine.

grad_devil
12-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Pretty cut and dry, actually - there's a specific rule that says if an NCAA athlete wins a prize in a contest where the athlete was chosen at random, it's fine.

...good ol' 12.5.2.3.3:

Promotional Contests. Receipt of a prize for winning an institutional or noninstitutional promotional activity (e.g., making a half-court basketball shot, being involved in a money scramble) by a prospective or enrolled student-athlete (or a member of his or her family) does not affect his or her eligibility, provided the prize is won through a random drawing in which all members of the general public or the student body are eligible to participate.