PDA

View Full Version : Chick-fil-A Bowl: DBR's very own ATL Visitors' Bureau

Reilly
12-10-2013, 10:35 AM
The bowl site offers $3 off the Coke museum ... seems to be a special $25 entry fee for the aquarium on December 30 in the PM ... there's a parade the day of the game ... there's some sort of luncheon/game show w/ the teams on December 30 at the Marriott Marquis ...

There are four bowl games on 12/30 -- including ones involving Duke opponents Navy, GT ... and Mack Brown.
There are four bowl games on 12/31 -- including ones involving ACC schools BC and VT. We're the last one that day.

The bowl site lists three bar/restaurants which I guess paid for that privilege (including Max Lager's). I checked a bit on tripadvisor and yelp for downtown Atlanta ... would be interested to hear from others in the know here about good places downtown to catch a game.

And which of the 16 Waffle Houses (Waffle House site, "Atlanta" locator query) is the best (serious question)?

wilson
12-10-2013, 11:23 AM
And which of the 16 Waffle Houses (Waffle House site, "Atlanta" locator query) is the best (serious question)?The corner of Piedmont Rd. and Pharr Rd., NO QUESTION. Corporate-owned location and always on top of its game.

throatybeard
12-10-2013, 11:34 AM
And which of the 16 Waffle Houses (Waffle House site, "Atlanta" locator query) is the best (serious question)?

I think my favorite thing about Georgia is the Interstate exits that have two Waffle Houses, so that on will be on the right side of the highway no matter which direction you're traveling.

The Waffle House with the most aggregate female attractiveness on the staff, in my experience, at least as of 2004, was the northeasternmost location on I-95, the last exit in Maryland. This was before we all had cameras in our phones, so I can't prove it, but take my word. I don't know what was up with that.

I like the urban location that's right near Georgia Tech.

OldPhiKap
12-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Some people swear by The Varsity, but I don't get it. I know it's an institution and all, but c'mon.

throatybeard
12-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Some people swear by The Varsity, but I don't get it. I know it's an institution and all, but c'mon.

If you get to a certain age and income level, you quit eating fast food. Not everyone has or will be fortunate enough to tic off both of those criteria.

I can't imagine eating at The Varsity now, but man, when we went on field trips to Atlanta in the 1980s and my mother gave me a five dollar bill, I so looked forward to that stuff. Git me a double steak and a "bag of rags."

(I still occasionally eat at WaHo, so I guess I just realized that I don't consider a chicken breast and eggs "fast food").

DownEastDevil
12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
I liked Hudson's Grille, they have a large selection of draft beer, lots of TV's and a good menu. It's also a short walk to the dome.

hurleyfor3
12-10-2013, 12:33 PM
I think my favorite thing about Georgia is the Interstate exits that have two Waffle Houses, so that on will be on the right side of the highway no matter which direction you're traveling.

There's a Sandra Bullock movie waiting to be made about two people arranging to have a breakfast date at the Waffle House off Exit X on Interstate Y, except it's one of the exits with two Waffle Houses and they go to different ones.

freedevil
12-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Try STATS (http://www.statsatl.com/statsatl/index.php/media#).

Reilly
12-10-2013, 01:03 PM
There's a Sandra Bullock movie waiting to be made about two people arranging to have a breakfast date at the Waffle House off Exit X on Interstate Y, except it's one of the exits with two Waffle Houses and they go to different ones.

A Southern "Sliding Doors" ... your fate influenced by which Waffle House you patronize ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliding_Doors

wilson
12-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Try STATS (http://www.statsatl.com/statsatl/index.php/media#).I for one have been consistently underwhelmed with STATS. The space is cool, but the food is meh, and a lot of their gimmicks are long on promise and short on delivery. For example, the beer taps at the table that sound really awesome have never been functional in the ~half dozen times I've been there.
For much better food, but still a proper sports bar experience, right next door to the Georgia Dome, I would recommend Dantanna's (http://www.dantannas.com/downtown-atlanta-upscale-sports-bar-resturant.html) inside CNN Center (you can just about get between Dantanna's and the Dome without going outside).

throatybeard
12-10-2013, 01:11 PM

In 1996, This actually happened to me, except it was the two different McDonaldses, in the afternoon, in Danville, Virginia. Her name was Christi and she played the violin. She lived in Lynchburg, but had a dentist appointment down there for some reason, so the plan was to get her teeth cleaned and then see me.

Shortly after, she met a boy who was more conservative than I was, so that was that. Happens a lot in the South. Liable to happen at Liberty. I think she later transferred to Eastman, that's how good she was on the violin. Her parents had smuggled fresh mangoes back from the Caribbean.

Oh, she also borrowed my 1992 Deutsche Gramophon recording of Pelléas et Mélisande and never returned it. I have a mind to look her up on Facebook and ask for it back, just to mess with her, but I think it will amuse me more if I wait until it's been twenty years. I suppose I need to get a new recording of Pelléas et Mélisande.

Man, the wealth of stories that are going to die with me. Cherish this while ya can, y'all. I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.

throatybeard
12-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Also,

http://www.derbiergarten.com/

Because beer.

hurleyfor3
12-10-2013, 01:21 PM
In 1996, This actually happened to me, except it was the two different McDonaldses, in the afternoon, in Danville, Virginia. Her name was Christi and she played the violin. She lived in Lynchburg, but had a dentist appointment down there for some reason, so the plan was to get her teeth cleaned and then see me.

It almost happened to me with Waffle Houses in fact, but it was for work and we ended up at the same one. We flew in on different days and agreed to meet for breakfast where we were staying off 400 in Alpharetta... I discovered the night before, coming down from a day of hiking, there were two WHs there but guessed right.

The Chicago version of this would be two people agreeing to meet at "that big modern sculpture thingy downtown, you know the one" and one goes to the Picasso while the other goes to the Calder. Or the wrong clock at Marshall Field's, except that everyone still hates Macy's for changing the name.

Reilly
12-10-2013, 01:24 PM

Shortly after, she met a boy who was more conservative than I was, so that was that. Happens a lot in the South. Liable to happen at Liberty. I think she later transferred to Eastman, that's how good she was on the violin. Her parents had smuggled fresh mangoes back from the Caribbean.

Oh, she also borrowed my 1992 Deutsche Gramophon recording of Pelléas et Mélisande and never returned it. I have a mind to look her up on Facebook and ask for it back, just to mess with her, but I think it will amuse me more if I wait until it's been twenty years. I suppose I need to get a new recording of Pelléas et Mélisande.

Man, the wealth of stories that are going to die with me. Cherish this while ya can, y'all. I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.

Promising, but I'm doubting that Sandra Bullock's public want to see her with a beard, much less a throaty one.

And Hollywood would probably change the setting from Danville to Bristol, and make it a state-line issue.

wilson
12-10-2013, 01:24 PM
The Chicago version of this would be two people agreeing to meet at "that big modern sculpture thingy downtown, you know the one" and one goes to the Picasso while the other goes to the Calder.The juxtaposition between Chicago's modern art and Atlanta's Waffle Houses is richly appropriate in many ways.*

*Let this not be taken as a knock on Atlanta or on the Waffle House, because I love both.

OldPhiKap
12-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Promising, but I'm doubting that Sandra Bullock's public want to see her with a beard, much less a throaty one.

And Hollywood would probably change the setting from Danville to Bristol, and make it a state-line issue.

Or maybe John Rocker on the "F" Train to Flushing Meadows. High-lair-E-us.

AtlDuke72
12-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I can't imagine eating at The Varsity now, but man, when we went on field trips to Atlanta in the 1980s and my mother gave me a five dollar bill, I so looked forward to that stuff. Git me a double steak and a "bag of rags."

The onion rings and chile dogs at The Varsity are just as good as ever ! Best food in town is at the Taqueria del Sol. One on Howell Mill not too far from the Dome. One on Cheshire Bridge Road and another in Decatur.

-bdbd
12-10-2013, 02:54 PM
I have kids, ages 10 and 12, and so am looking through that lense at Atlanta activities.

Top of the list:

- Atlanta Aquarium
- Coca-Cola Museum (World of Coke?)
- MLK Museum and Church
- Carter Presidential Library/Museum
- Little Five Points - great strolling and shopping area
- Turner Field tour
- Piedmont Park

Is the Buckhead Diner still around?

BigWayne
12-10-2013, 02:55 PM

wafflehouse.com only gives you the 16 closest Waffle Houses to whatever point you put in. There are way more than 16 in the Atlanta area.

According to Yelp, the best one in town is the one near Georgia State, a few blocks from the Dome.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/waffle-house-atlanta-47

wilson
12-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Is the Buckhead Diner still around?Yes, and it's still as good as ever.

Channing
12-10-2013, 03:10 PM
The corner of Piedmont Rd. and Pharr Rd., NO QUESTION. Corporate-owned location and always on top of its game.

Seconded

I liked Hudson's Grille, they have a large selection of draft beer, lots of TV's and a good menu. It's also a short walk to the dome.

Hudson Grille has become very corporate and underwhelming.

I have kids, ages 10 and 12, and so am looking through that lense at Atlanta activities.

Top of the list:

- Atlanta Aquarium
- MLK Museum and Church
- Turner Field tour
- Piedmont Park

Aquarium is awesome, Coke museum is fun; MLK Museum and church are educational and close enough to the Sweet Auburn Curb Market where you can do them both at the same time (anyone with an exciting palate should check out the Sweet Auburn Curb Market); Buckhead Diner is still great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Food options that are uniquely Atlanta and near-ish to downtown:

(1) Fox Brothers BBQ
(2) Paschals (the original location was a hangout for Dr. King and the civil rights movement; consistently excellent fried chicken)
(3) South City Kitchen (this is in Midtown but has the best fried chicken in the city IMO, though it is a bit more upstcale)
(4) Pampas Steakhouse. This, surprisingly, is not a well known restaurant in Atlanta. It is about 45 minutes north of downtown, but, I think, is one of (if not the) only steakhouse in the country to get a 29 for food from Zagat.
(5) 6 Feet Under (there is one in Grant Park and one in West Midtown - both have great views of Atlanta if weather permits sitting on the upstairs deck, and serve very good casual fare).

If anyone is looking for anything in specific please feel free to message me directly. I've lived in Atlanta my entire life and love sharing the city with visitors.

gotoguy
12-10-2013, 03:15 PM

Top of the list:

- Atlanta Aquarium
- MLK Museum and Church
- Turner Field tour
- Piedmont Park

I second the recommendation of Dantanna's in the CNN center for better food than Stats.

The Buckhead Diner is still open in Buckhead though not near Marta. Still excellent food for the (big city) price.

For you out of town beer afficionados I highly recommend the Brick Store Pub on the court house square in Decatur. Its a short walk from the Decatur Marta station, east west line. Not to be missed. Same owners around the corner at Leon's for a bit more eclectic food selection.

For Breakfast try Thumbs Up on Edgewood, cash only and a short cab ride from the downtown hotels. A bit farther and on Howell Mill on the westside is West Egg.

Live music and PBRs in bottles at night just down the street is the Northside Tavern on Howell Mill.

For a big steak dinner where cost is no object pregame or Monday night try Kevin Rathbun Steak in the MLK district near downtown. In Buckhead for steak it's Bones or Chops.

For those looking for hotels check out hotels in the Midtown area near the 10th Street, 14th street and Art Center Marta stations. Easy access to downtown and more interesting nightlife if arrving a day or two early.

Residence Inn ,the Ardmore, and at the higher end $$$ the W and Loews are a few

Channing
12-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Live music and PBRs in bottles at night just down the street is the Northside Tavern on Howell Mill.

If you have any affinity for the blues this is a must if you can swing it. The place is the definition of a dive, but it is an amazing place to spend an evening (it is also very very smokey).

wilson
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
(1) Fox Brothers BBQ
(2) Paschals (the original location was a hangout for Dr. King and the civil rights movement; consistently excellent fried chicken)
(3) South City Kitchen (this is in Midtown but has the best fried chicken in the city IMO, though it is a bit more upstcale)
(4) Pampas Steakhouse. This, surprisingly, is not a well known restaurant in Atlanta. It is about 45 minutes north of downtown, but, I think, is one of (if not the) only steakhouse in the country to get a 29 for food from Zagat.
(5) 6 Feet Under (there is one in Grant Park and one in West Midtown - both have great views of Atlanta if weather permits sitting on the upstairs deck, and serve very good casual fare).

If anyone is looking for anything in specific please feel free to message me directly. I've lived in Atlanta my entire life and love sharing the city with visitors.Agreed on all counts except Six Feet Under. It's an institution of sorts and still a cool place, but I think their kitchen has really gone downhill in the last year or two. Specializes in seafood and can be good but has gotten hit-or-miss.

For you out of town beer afficionados I highly recommend the Brick Store Pub on the court house square in Decatur. Its a short walk from the Decatur Marta station, east west line. Not to be missed. Same owners around the corner at Leon's for a bit more eclectic food selection.In the same neck of the woods and again with some overlapping ownership, there is Twain's, which makes very good, straightforward bar food, has pool tables, shuffleboard, and the like, and brews its own beer (specializing in ales) in-house. My favorite place in town.

I too am happy to provide local counsel if anyone wants or needs. Like Channing, I love sharing our fair city.

FerryFor50
12-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Uh, Chick-Fil-A?

Hello?? :p

Reilly
12-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Uh, Chick-Fil-A?

The first time I ever heard of/had Chick-fil-A was at .... Northgate Mall, Durham, NC. College broadens one's horizons.

BigWayne
12-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Top of the list:

- Atlanta Aquarium
- MLK Museum and Church
- Turner Field tour
- Piedmont Park

Adjacent to the zoo, the Cyclorama (http://www.atlantacyclorama.org/) is a unique destination I would recommend highly.

rasputin
12-10-2013, 06:43 PM

What's the statute of limitations on Carmina Burana?

throatybeard
12-10-2013, 08:48 PM
What's the statute of limitations on Carmina Burana?

I knew exactly where it was until we moved. But since then...I'd rather buy you a new copy than pay myself minimum wage to find it. What I do know is that it's not with my CDs. I had a small stack of something borrowed, books and a couple CDs. It was a specific place just for things we had borrowed from people. My wife has since hidden those items somewhere.

_________

OK, this is hilarious. To me anyway. I had a vague recollection of a visual of this CD, and I went to look for it. It was under a pile of clothes no one wears because she's too skinny for them and I'm too fat.

So I have your Carmina Burana CD. I have placed it in my backpack, which is the one place I know is safe from my wife moving everything around and hiding it from me.

Throaty's possession of Rasputin's CD: (March 2008-?)

_________

I second, third, and seventeenth the endorsement for the Brickstore Pub.

BigWayne
12-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Uh, Chick-Fil-A?

Well actually, the very first location is near the ATL airport and is an interesting step back in time.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/chick-fil-a-dwarf-house-hapeville

http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/P6dQKYrzWiFTWbciAywikw/l.jpg

Edouble
12-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Adjacent to the zoo, the Cyclorama (http://www.atlantacyclorama.org/) is a unique destination I would recommend highly.

Right up there with The Varsity, Mary Mac's, and Underground Atlanta, as far as places that poor, unsuspecting tourists get sucked into. A complete snooze fest! Avoid at all costs!

Best BBQ in the city, for those that love good Q (in order)... Daddy Dz, Heirloom, Fox Bros.

I second the recommendation of Six Feet Under.

Two great gastropubs that I go to all the time:

The Porter in L5P--best beer selection in town, and it's not even close.
Young Augustine's in Cabbagetown/Grant Park. Shirt rib grilled cheese is the best sandwich in the city.

Edouble
12-10-2013, 09:26 PM
http://www.fellinisatlanta.com/fellinis_locations.html

Ponce de Leon location is the best NY style cheese slice in the world (not a joke). Open 'til 2:00 AM. Hit it after the game, win or lose!

wilson
12-10-2013, 09:33 PM
http://www.fellinisatlanta.com/fellinis_locations.html

Ponce de Leon location is the best NY style cheese slice in the world (not a joke). Open 'til 2:00 AM. Hit it after the game, win or lose!And CHEAP. That was our high school weekend ritual. You can still stuff your face there for like six or seven bucks.

throatybeard
12-11-2013, 01:41 PM
If you have any affinity for the blues this is a must if you can swing it. The place is the definition of a dive, but it is an amazing place to spend an evening (it is also very very smokey).

What's the current legal status of smoking in bars/restaurants in Georgia?

Channing
12-11-2013, 02:00 PM
To allow smoking a restaurant or bar has to limit itself to only allowing patrons over 18 (I think is the age) so virtually all restaurants (except for the Vortex) are smoke free. Most bars are also smoke free (of their own volition, not legally), though some still do allow smoking.

Atlanta Duke
12-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Consider the Sweetwater Brewery Tour - it is just north of downtown off I-85

Now that Georgia has thrown off the yoke of no alcohol Sundays I think the tour is on both December 29 and 30

http://sweetwaterbrew.com/brewery/tours/

burnspbesq
12-12-2013, 10:18 AM
I knew exactly where it was until we moved. But since then...I'd rather buy you a new copy than pay myself minimum wage to find it. What I do know is that it's not with my CDs. I had a small stack of something borrowed, books and a couple CDs. It was a specific place just for things we had borrowed from people. My wife has since hidden those items somewhere.

_________

OK, this is hilarious. To me anyway. I had a vague recollection of a visual of this CD, and I went to look for it. It was under a pile of clothes no one wears because she's too skinny for them and I'm too fat.

So I have your Carmina Burana CD. I have placed it in my backpack, which is the one place I know is safe from my wife moving everything around and hiding it from me.

Throaty's possession of Rasputin's CD: (March 2008-?)

_________

I second, third, and seventeenth the endorsement for the Brickstore Pub.

In case it disappears again, the definitive (IMO) recording of Carmina, the one from the 1960s on DG that features Janowitz and Fischer-Dieskau, is still in print.

JasonEvans
12-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Best BBQ in the city, for those that love good Q (in order)... Daddy Dz, Heirloom, Fox Bros.

Preach on, brother! Heirloom Market, which is almost impossible to describe as it appears to be part of a quick-e-mart gas station, has some truly amazing BBQ. It is not easy to get to and is in the Northern suburbs, nowhere close to downtown. You will probably drive past it three times before you actually find it. Here is what it looks like --
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-sFohRgxOBI/TUQkPpDS0sI/AAAAAAAAN3c/_fb5j0kL3A8/s1600/bbq%2Bheirloom.jpg

Anyway, it is worth the trek and is just a mile and a half from my house, so stop on by and say hi! Ha!

I also cannot understand how this discussion of culinary options around Atlanta has not dealt with the city's burger joints. I think Atlanta has some of the best burgers in the country. Grindhouse and Vortex are awesome and both are part of the downtown/midtown scene so they are easy to get to. Vortex is a real experience in terms of the clientele. If you want something a bit more upscale, I like the tuna burger at Flip. There are three or four Flip restaurants around town. If you go, you must try one of their crazy milkshakes. My kids swear by the Krispie Kreme milk shake which tastes just like you are drinking a doughnut.

-Jason "If you want a real experience, go to Anne's Snack Bar for a burger (http://burgersbarbecueandeverythingelse.wordpress.com/2013/06/08/anns-snack-bar-re-visited-atlanta-ga/). You'll have to wait an hour or more to be seated but it has been called the best burger in America" Evans

Eakane
12-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Yes, and it's still as good as ever.

Buckhead Diner has the 2nd best burger in town, behind the Vortex. Other good restaurants near the Diner are Kyma (get the fish, any fish, prepared in lemon and olive oil) and if you're really hungry and ready to pay, Fogo de Chao is a neat Bralzian Steak house/experience.

Great steaks can also be had at Chops or Bones, and Ruth's Chris does a nice filet for a chain.

Forget waffle house, head for the aptly named, Chicken and Waffles in downtown on Peachtree. Gladys Knight (of GK and the Pips fame) is the owner/operator. Ask for the night train. Three ginormous fried wings and a waffle.

Best strip club would be Cheetah, with what I'm told is a good steak place within it, but honestly, who eats at a strip club? Atlanta has GREAT talent, but do yourself a favor and stay away from the Jack Shacks and Massage Parlors.

Great ribs are at Fat Matt's Rib Shack on Piedmont.

Awesome dim sum on weekends only at Hong Kong Harbor.

Best little Family Italian -- Nino's on Cheshire Brige. get the spaghetti al'olio.

In the mood for a cuban? Try little Havana on Buford Highway off of I85. In fact head up Buford Hwy into Little Vietnam and stop at any place that has s ign that says "Pho."

For a view, choose Nicolay's at the top of the Hilton over the sundail at the top of the Westin. Much better food but also more pricey. Sundial does rotate, so that's a nice touch, but the food is awful.

The Imperial Fez is a good time and a good meal.

Best french meditteranean is at Atmosphere on Piedmont. Get the escargot.

Best Meat and Two -- Carver's, on the west end.

If you have the $$$, Bachanalia on Howell Mill.

Stone Mountain is great for the kids, as is the Zoo (we've got Pandas).

Avoid the Underground unless youi enjoy being overcharged for bad food.

Atlanta is a great city for foodies. Tell me what you're in the mood for and I'll make a recommendation

wilson
12-12-2013, 12:23 PM
P\\If you want a real experience, go to Anne's Snack Bar for a burger (http://burgersbarbecueandeverythingelse.wordpress.com/2013/06/08/anns-snack-bar-re-visited-atlanta-ga/).Ann's is the Gospel truth. One of the three best burgers I've ever had, and fills you up for like 2 days.

TruBlu
12-12-2013, 03:27 PM

All 2,456,321 Waffle Houses are great. I have been to many of them, but am reluctant to rate them.

For late night/early morning entertainment, Waffle Houses are right up there as well. New Years Eve clientele rate a close second to Halloween for (drunken) people watching . . . at least until the next afternoon when you awaken to realize that they were also watching you.

Anyway, it is a moot point, as I am inviting all of you to come eat at my house . . . but maybe I better check with my wife first. I will get back to you on that.

Channing
12-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Buckhead Diner has the 2nd best burger in town, behind the Vortex. Other good restaurants near the Diner are Kyma (get the fish, any fish, prepared in lemon and olive oil) and if you're really hungry and ready to pay, Fogo de Chao is a neat Bralzian Steak house/experience.

Great steaks can also be had at Chops or Bones, and Ruth's Chris does a nice filet for a chain.

Forget waffle house, head for the aptly named, Chicken and Waffles in downtown on Peachtree. Gladys Knight (of GK and the Pips fame) is the owner/operator. Ask for the night train. Three ginormous fried wings and a waffle.

1. Disagree heavily wrt to burger recs. Best burgers in the city are
(1) Boccado on the West Side,
(2) Holman and Finch (they only serve 25 (I think, maybe its 20)) per night and at 10 pm - though you will need to get there earlier to get on the list; you can also sometimes get a burger for brunch on Sunday if they haven't run out or at the Ted (though that obviously doesn't hold in the off season),
(3) the General Muir in Emory Village,
(4) Muss & Turners in Vinings,
(5) 7Lamps around Lenox (its not on the menu - ask for it special),
(6) Serpas in the Old 4th Ward and
(7) Littles Grocery around Cabbage Town. I like them in this order, but I won't quibble if you move some up or down.

Vortex just piles a bunch of crap on the burger; the above listed provide a great burger that speaks for itself. Honorable mention to the Stillhouse at East Andrews, though it is still finding its footing.

2. Bones >>>> Chops, but if you want a steak in Buckhead try the KR Steakbar for some very inventive and interesting sides and appetizers. If you can venture out to Roswell, Little Allys is also great.

3. I think GKs C&W is WAY overrated. Get your fried chicken at Paschals or go to South City Kitchen for their Chicken and Waffles at brunch.

Find out everything you never wanted to know about the Atlanta burger scene @BestAtlBurgers on Twitter (which I maintain).

Ann's is the Gospel truth. One of the three best burgers I've ever had, and fills you up for like 2 days.

Anne's is an experience - just be prepared to wait at least an hour. The burger is more of an experience than a great burger. Decent ingredients, fresh produce, made with LOVE!!! DO NOT go to Anne's if you have a problem with subpar sanitary conditions with the food prep.

budwom
12-12-2013, 04:41 PM
All 2,456,321 Waffle Houses are great. I have been to many of them, but am reluctant to rate them.

For late night/early morning entertainment, Waffle Houses are right up there as well. New Years Eve clientele rate a close second to Halloween for (drunken) people watching . . . at least until the next afternoon when you awaken to realize that they were also watching you.

Anyway, it is a moot point, as I am inviting all of you to come eat at my house . . . but maybe I better check with my wife first. I will get back to you on that.

Forty years ago in Durham, the people watching in the wee hours at Toddle House and other Waffle-esque venues was spectacular...great mixture of students, recovering or "coming down" from
recreational exploits, working girls, cops, and anyone else awake and hungry at that hour. Like a watering hole in the desert....

throatybeard
12-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Best strip club would be Cheetah, with what I'm told is a good steak place within it, but honestly, who eats at a strip club?

I've often wondered that. Maybe the dancers are a bit peckish after their shifts are over.

Atlanta Duke
12-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Atlanta Journal-Constitution suggestions for good eats near the Georgia Dome that ran last week before the SEC championship

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2013/12/06/pick-five-where-hungry-tigers-should-feast-near-the-sec-championship/

Eakane
12-12-2013, 06:22 PM
I've often wondered that. Maybe the dancers are a bit peckish after their shifts are over.

Bring your ticket stub to the Cheetah after the game and they'll waive the entrance fee!

Eakane
12-12-2013, 08:03 PM
(2) Holman and Finch (they only serve 25 (I think, maybe its 20)) per night and at 10 pm - though you will need to get there earlier to get on the list; you can also sometimes get a burger for brunch on Sunday if they haven't run out or at the Ted (though that obviously doesn't hold in the off season),
(7) Littles Grocery around Cabbage Town. I like them in this order, but I won't quibble if you move some up or down.

Vortex just piles a bunch of crap on the burger; the above listed provide a great burger that speaks for itself. Honorable mention to the Stillhouse at East Andrews, though it is still finding its footing.

2. Bones >>>> Chops, but if you want a steak in Buckhead try the KR Steakbar for some very inventive and interesting sides and appetizers. If you can venture out to Roswell, Little Allys is also great.

3. I think GKs C&W is WAY overrated. Get your fried chicken at Paschals or go to South City Kitchen for their Chicken and Waffles at brunch.

Find out everything you never wanted to know about the Atlanta burger scene @BestAtlBurgers on Twitter (which I maintain).

Anne's is an experience - just be prepared to wait at least an hour. The burger is more of an experience than a great burger. Decent ingredients, fresh produce, made with LOVE!!! DO NOT go to Anne's if you have a problem with subpar sanitary conditions with the food prep.

There is something about a cheeseburger at the Buckhead Diner, with a side of crispy fries and a malted vanilla milkshake that just "feels right." It's thick and juicy, and wholly satisfying. When friends visit I take them to the Vortex and everyone is happy from the minute they see the entrance skull to the touristy interior to the burger topping choices. I keep mine simple and classic -- cheddar and bacon, but to each his own.

I can't srgue Holman and finch, but it's just a pain to get in there.

throatybeard
12-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Bring your ticket stub to the Cheetah after the game and they'll waive the entrance fee!

Probably gotta ask my wife permission first.

Do the dancers accept commemorative ticket stubs as tips?

Edouble
12-13-2013, 03:17 AM

Praise the lord, THANK YOU.

Vortex is not good. They have done a great job at marketing themselves, and the giant skull door is cool. I think of them as sort of a Hard Rock Cafe for bikers. It looks cool, but in a blind burger lineup, they would fare poorly. The patty is not that big or flavorful.

Burger and herbed fries at The Porter are the best in the city in my book, and I eat more burgers than I should. Holman & Finch is 2nd best, for me.

Great recs on Muss and Turners and General Muir.

I have to disagree on Little's (not that anyone from out of town would be able to find it). I live about 50 feet from Little's and I was so excited when I heard there was this legendary burger down the street. SO disappointed. It's just like a thin, boring Wendysesque burger. While we're on the subject of Little's, I love supporting small, local businesses, but every time I go there, they are so rude. I am sorry I am not an underweight, unbathed, tatted out hipster, but I'm still paying an extra $2 for a 6 pack, so I'd love a simple "Thank You" or at least a hello, or acknowledgement of my existence.

Ann forms the patties by hand out of a big tube of Kroger ground beef, cuts a few onions in her hand (yes, onion in one hand, knife in the other), then cleans her hands and the knife in a tray of bleach water. Yeah... it's a bit gross.

Edouble
12-13-2013, 03:25 AM
Great ribs are at Fat Matt's Rib Shack on Piedmont.

Please avoid this place. I know there are a lot of people on this board that love BBQ. Apparently George Clooney dropped the name of this restaurant in a movie, and it has lived off of that reputation for some time.

The food is incredibly mediocre. It's one of those places that you can't believe they are still in business. It's in a pretty central location and I think a lot of cops grab a quick lunch there.

I just don't want anyone to go here thinking this is the best Q that the A has to offer.

Daddy Dz, Heirloom, Fox Bros.

throatybeard
12-13-2013, 03:41 AM
Ann forms the patties by hand out of a big tube of Kroger ground beef, cuts a few onions in her hand (yes, onion in one hand, knife in the other), then cleans her hands and the knife in a tray of bleach water. Yeah... it's a bit gross.

Onions are incredibly disgusting to start with and not anything anyone should put in their mouth. If her hands are grosser than the onions, I'm out.

NYBri
12-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Forty years ago in Durham, the people watching in the wee hours at Toddle House and other Waffle-esque venues was spectacular...great mixture of students, recovering or "coming down" from
recreational exploits, working girls, cops, and anyone else awake and hungry at that hour. Like a watering hole in the desert....

I hadn't thought about the Toddle House in decades...at the risk of dating myself, I, too, remember that experience from some 40 years ago. Thx for the hazy memory jog.

Turk
12-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Please avoid this place. I know there are a lot of people on this board that love BBQ. Apparently George Clooney dropped the name of this restaurant in a movie, and it has lived off of that reputation for some time.

The food is incredibly mediocre. It's one of those places that you can't believe they are still in business. It's in a pretty central location and I think a lot of cops grab a quick lunch there.

I just don't want anyone to go here thinking this is the best Q that the A has to offer.

Daddy Dz, Heirloom, Fox Bros.

The name does have a bit of rhythm to it. Years ago I was in town with some buddies for a mini-spring break non-Duke NCAA regional. We hit Fat Matt's like a plague of locusts, but the bar was lower (and maybe the food was better) then. BTW, what was the Clooney movie?

Daddylawman
12-13-2013, 01:21 PM
For those traveling to town I feel like you have gotten some good recommendations here. Most of these folks are ITP (that's "inside the Perimeter"; I-285 makes a ring around Atlanta and you are either ITP or OTP). I tend to venture in only for sporting events, so here's my thoughts:
1. If you can find a hotel near a MARTA station it will make things easier, unless you plan on getting there early and staying late to tailgate.
2. If you are looking for a sports bar I think Dantanna's is great, but a bit pricey. There is a local chain called Taco Mac with very good food and hundreds of beers to choose from.
3. World of Coca Cola is not worth the cost unless you can drink $30 worth of strange tasting concoctions from around the world.
4. The aquarium is worth every penny - an excellent facility.
5. You don't go to the Varsity for the burgers - they are just ok, but the onion rings and fries are great.
6. After 2:00 a.m. you are legally required to go to Waffle House (ok, maybe it just seems like that)
7. I've heard great things about the burgers and milkshakes at Flip Burger - but, again, a bit pricey.
8. For barbecue, Fox Bros., Sam's BBQ 1 or Dave Poe's are all far superior to Fat Matt's.
9. There are lots of great places in the Virginia-Highlands neighborhood. Use Yelp or something similar to find the type of restaurant you like. I personally love the sushi at Harry and Sons.

Look forward to having y'all in town.

reecens
12-13-2013, 01:22 PM
The movie is "Up In The Air".

budwom
12-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Two lovers on opposite sides of the table at the Waffle House...but alas they can never truly be together
because all of their elbows are stuck on the filthy table top with remnants of various unnaturally colored
disgusting syrups.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Two lovers on opposite sides of the table at the Waffle House...but alas they can never truly be together
because all of their elbows are stuck on the filthy table top with remnants of various unnaturally colored
disgusting syrups.

Sure you're not thinking about IHOP?

;>)

lucybluebear
12-13-2013, 07:03 PM
We are staying at the Marriott Marquis and are not familiar with downtown Atlanta. Any food suggestions within a half mile or so (walking distance)? One place that looked interesting to me was Truva? Meehan's public house?

What about breakfast in that area?

OldPhiKap
12-13-2013, 07:07 PM
We are staying at the Marriott Marquis and are not familiar with downtown Atlanta. Any food suggestions within a half mile or so (walking distance)? One place that looked interesting to me was Truva? Meehan's public house?

Truva is Meditteranean and I like it a lot (great lamb). Meehan's is pub food -- Irish/English style.

There is a Brazilian steak house just south of you if you have the $$$. On Peachtree kinda across from the Hard Rock Cafe.

Atldukie79
12-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Stone Mountain:
For the family with 10-12 year olds...if time allows, and you care to venture outside of the immediate downtown area, Stone Mountain Park can fill a day with an eclectic mix of nature (a truly massive "mountain" of granite than offers a fantastic view of Atlanta which can be summitted by a hike or a cable car ride) historical attractions, some interesting, some shlocky...and fast food.

Kennesaw Mountain:
For those whose interest are not limited to gastinomical delights and the in town standards, this National Battlefield includes a vistor center with requisit film about the great battle between Sherman and Johnston. The view from the top is spectacular, the trenches still visible. Its no more than 40minutes drive north of downtown.

budwom
12-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Sure you're not thinking about IHOP?

;>)

True, IHOP has better colored syrups, but they both boast absolutely filthy tables.
I used to eat at the same Waffle House near a motel in Charlotte (during the ACC tournament)
and it was consistently one of the truly filthiest restaurants I've ever seen. Which didn't stop me from eating there.

AtlDuke72
12-14-2013, 12:05 PM
True, IHOP has better colored syrups, but they both boast absolutely filthy tables.
I used to eat at the same Waffle House near a motel in Charlotte (during the ACC tournament)
and it was consistently one of the truly filthiest restaurants I've ever seen. Which didn't stop me from eating there.

Great breakfast at the Original House of Pancakes on La Vista Road.

AtlDuke72
12-14-2013, 12:18 PM

Ray's Seafood on Peachtree is close and good. I would not walk too far from your hotel except towards Peachtree and walking to the Dome would be safe also. Much better restaurants on North Highland and Virginia Highlands which are only 2-3 miles away - cheap cab or easy drive. Sotto Sotto ( my favorite) is outstanding as are Rathbun's ( $$$), Rathbun's Steaks ($$$$), Babettes Cafe and Murphys. For lunch you could walk to Reuben's Deli which is a New York style deli about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

gotoguy
12-14-2013, 05:44 PM

For breakfast take a cab to Thumbs Up on Edgewood prepare to pay cash

dukie’s_daughter
12-15-2013, 08:51 PM
We'll be traveling 29S to 85 from Central Virginia. Planning on tailgating once we get there...What's the best place for Eastern NC cue on route?

Go DUKE!

Edouble
12-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Mentioned it last week and got no response, but wanted to make sure y'all had the 411.

Best beer selection in Atlanta. No contest.

http://www.theporterbeerbar.com/drink/beer/

In Little Five Points. Skip the Vortex. The Porter has a better burger too! Chef/owner trained at Bacchanalia, which is considered the best restaurant in the city (at least by Zagat, anyway).

Go Devils!!!

davekay1971
12-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Aren't we all crashing at Jason Evans' house? And having a DBR New Years Eve party there?

OldPhiKap
12-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Aren't we all crashing at Jason Evans' house? And having a DBR New Years Eve party there?

I am SO there. Making mashed potatoes as I type.

wilson
12-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Best beer selection in Atlanta. No contest.

http://www.theporterbeerbar.com/drink/beer/The Brick Store (http://www.brickstorepub.com/mobile/) called and begs to differ.
I love The Porter too, and agree that their burger is outstanding, but to say that there's "no contest" between their beer list and the Brick Store (not to mention a handful of other places around town) is simply untrue.

throatybeard
12-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Brickstore is AMAZING. It's one of the best pubs I've been anywhere. Selection is everything.

I have a hard time believing all these burgers are all that different from each other. They're burgers.

BigWayne
12-16-2013, 03:21 AM
I have a hard time believing all these burgers are all that different from each other. They're burgers.

Yep. Best burgers I have had have been at home anyway.

Spoke
12-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Add me to the list of folks who think Fatt Matt's is seriously overrated. Avoid it.

For my money, Fox Bros (http://foxbrosbbq.com/) is the best barbecue, but if Fox Bros is too crowded (and it often is) try Anna's Barbecue (http://www.yelp.com/biz/annas-bbq-atlanta) in the Kirkwood neighborhood (not far away). It's a new place (doesn't even have permanent signage yet), family-run, and the 'cue is really good. Insider tip: try the turkey ribs if they're available. (That's right. I said turkey ribs.) Ask for spicy barbecue sauce if that's your thing; the sauce they have on the counter is mild.

Community Q (http://www.communityqbbq.com/) is another excellent barbecue option.

I can't believe there's been all this talk of burgers and no one has mentioned George's (http://www.georgesbarandrestaurant.com/).

I see a couple of Vortex naysayers here, but I like their burgers. Give 'em a try.

(Atlanta is a burger town.)

Avoid Mary Mac's. It's a tourist trap, and the food is mediocre. If you want a Southern meal, maybe try the Colonnade (http://colonnadeatl.com/). (Not open for lunch on weekdays, so be warned.) Or try Silver Skillet (http://www.thesilverskillet.com/), which is also a good breakfast option.

If you are in Atlanta without wheels, take Marta out to Decatur. It's a nice walking area, with several good restaurants and pubs.

If Civil War history is your thing, the Cyclorama and Kennesaw Mountain are good bets, but also check out the Atlanta History Center (http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/). It has a really nice exhibit on the war, with lots of interesting artifacts.

If you like your history a little more ancient, check out the Carlos Museum (http://www.carlos.emory.edu/) on Emory's campus. It has a surprisingly extensive collection of ancient artifacts, including Greek, Roman, Egyptian, American, etc., etc. A hidden gem for history buffs.

JasonEvans
12-16-2013, 08:38 AM

I'll be at the game with my 2 sons (30 yard line, Duke side of the field, 10th row... bought em for less than face value) so you are going to have a tough time getting into my house without the cops showing up ;)

-Jason "we should try to do a DBR meetup of sorts before the game... need to figure out a good place for that" Evans

Spoke
12-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Add me to the list of folks who think Fatt Matt's is seriously overrated. Avoid it.

For my money, Fox Bros (http://foxbrosbbq.com/) is the best barbecue, but if Fox Bros is too crowded (and it often is) try Anna's Barbecue (http://www.yelp.com/biz/annas-bbq-atlanta) in the Kirkwood neighborhood (not far away). It's a new place (doesn't even have permanent signage yet), family-run, and the 'cue is really good. Insider tip: try the turkey ribs if they're available. (That's right. I said turkey ribs.) Ask for spicy barbecue sauce if that's your thing; the sauce they have on the counter is mild.

Community Q (http://www.communityqbbq.com/) is another excellent barbecue option.

I can't believe there's been all this talk of burgers and no one has mentioned George's (http://www.georgesbarandrestaurant.com/).

I see a couple of Vortex naysayers here, but I like their burgers. Give 'em a try.

(Atlanta is a burger town.)

Avoid Mary Mac's. It's a tourist trap, and the food is mediocre. If you want a Southern meal, maybe try the Colonnade (http://colonnadeatl.com/). (Not open for lunch on weekdays, so be warned.)

If you are in Atlanta without wheels, take Marta out to Decatur. It's a nice walking area, with several good restaurants and pubs.

If Civil War history is your thing, the Cyclorama and Kennesaw Mountain are good bets, but also check out the Atlanta History Center (http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/). It has a really nice exhibit on the war, with lots of interesting artifacts.

If you like your history a little more ancient, check out the Carlos Museum (http://www.carlos.emory.edu/) on Emory's campus. It has a surprisingly extensive collection of ancient artifacts, including Greek, Roman, Egyptian, American, etc., etc. A hidden gem for history buffs.

Sir Stealth
12-16-2013, 10:45 AM
We'll be traveling 29S to 85 from Central Virginia. Planning on tailgating once we get there...What's the best place for Eastern NC cue on route?

Go DUKE!

You actually won't be going through Eastern NC cue territory going that way, but you'll go by Lexington which has a multitude of great options of the Western variety. Jimmy's is probably most convenient to the highway and is excellent. Many other great options in town.

wilson
12-16-2013, 10:48 AM
You actually won't be going through Eastern NC cue territory going that way, but you'll go by Lexington which has a multitude of great options of the Western variety. Jimmy's is probably most convenient to the highway and is excellent. Many other great options in town.Just do not stop in South Carolina at any Maurice's (http://www.piggiepark.com/) location.
Unless you like helping to fund raging bigots, that is.

OldPhiKap
12-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Just do not stop in South Carolina at any Maurice's (http://www.piggiepark.com/) location.

Or mustard sauce. Yuck.

Sir Stealth
12-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Busy Bee is a good option for authentic soul food. I actually think that Mary Mac's is being judged a tad harshly by some - it's not what it used to be but is still a pretty good Southern food experience that will satisfy out of towners; calling it a "tourist trap" is too far in my opinion.

Daddy D'z is another good barbecue option close to downtown that hasn't been mentioned as much, though certainly can't go wrong at Fox Bros.

In addition to the Porter, Wrecking Bar is another good brewpub spot near Little 5.

For a truly unique Atlanta nightlife experience, some (not coming with children) may want to check out the famous Clermont Lounge. Elliott Street Pub another neighborhood dive option not far from the Dome.

Sir Stealth
12-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Just do not stop in South Carolina at any Maurice's (http://www.piggiepark.com/) location.

Or mustard sauce. Yuck.

Agree on all of the above.

Spoke
12-16-2013, 12:18 PM
...calling it a "tourist trap" is too far in my opinion...

Maybe so, maybe so, but ever since the place changed ownership some years back, they seem to be coasting on their reputation, and banking on the idea that tourists looking for Southern food are going to keep coming there regardless of how mediocre the food becomes. I guess "tourist trap" isn't exactly the right phrase for that set of circumstances.

Also, since I see I had a duplicate post above (sorry about that) and folks may not read the second, revised post, I will again offer up Silver Skillet (http://www.thesilverskillet.com/) as a place for Southern food and particularly Southern breakfasts.

wilson
12-16-2013, 12:47 PM
...I will again offer up Silver Skillet (http://www.thesilverskillet.com/) as a place for Southern food and particularly Southern breakfasts.South City Kitchen (http://midtown.southcitykitchen.com/) is also a very good place for modern twists on traditional Southern cuisine.

killerleft
12-16-2013, 01:00 PM

Go DUKE!

There's a Smithfield's Chicken & Barbeque on the outskirts of south Greensboro. I really enjoy their 'cue. Smithfield's is a well-run NC chain, Greensboro is the westernmost outpost. Most of the joints are in the Triangle or east and south of it. The baked beans have a little barbeque in them, and the Brunswick stew is tasty. Vinegar & pepper spice is the sauce on the table.

As with all reccomendations, there are those who don't agree. I think it's the three little pigs effect. If the barbeque is served in a building that the three little pigs can't blow down (Smithfield's are brick), then the 'cue sucks.:D:D Just kiddin', folks.

http://scnbnc.com/

There's a store locator. If you're coming down 29S the place shouldn't be more than 6-7 minutes out of your way.

budwom
12-16-2013, 01:10 PM
There's a Smithfield's Chicken & Barbeque on the outskirts of south Greensboro. I really enjoy their 'cue. Smithfield's is a well-run NC chain, Greensboro is the westernmost outpost. Most of the joints are in the Triangle or east and south of it. The baked beans have a little barbeque in them, and the Brunswick stew is tasty. Vinegar & pepper spice is the sauce on the table.

As with all reccomendations, there are those who don't agree. I think it's the three little pigs effect. If the barbeque is served in a building that the three little pigs can't blow down (Smithfield's are brick), then the 'cue sucks.:D:D Just kiddin', folks.

http://scnbnc.com/

There's a store locator. If you're coming down 29S the place shouldn't be more than 6-7 minutes out of your way.

As skeptical as I am about chains (and I studiously avoid them when I can) I agree completely on Smithfield. VERY well run enterprise, the people there really hustle, vastly more motivated than
one would expect, go out of their way to please. My wife and I eat (and do takeout) at one in Wilmington and at one along I-40 west of there...Very serviceable 'cue...dark meat fried chicken is good as well.
I've had enough really good encounters there to figure out someone knows how to train people....(there's a great sordid tale about a former CEO there, but that's another matter altogether, the N&O did a good
job on that one...)

Edouble
12-17-2013, 01:35 AM
The Brick Store (http://www.brickstorepub.com/mobile/) called and begs to differ.
I love The Porter too, and agree that their burger is outstanding, but to say that there's "no contest" between their beer list and the Brick Store (not to mention a handful of other places around town) is simply untrue.

With both spots serving high end/craft beer and taking into account Brick Store's 27 draughts to The Porter's 46, and Brick Store's 200 bottles compared to The Porter's 800...

I just don't see it as a contest.

throatybeard
12-17-2013, 08:44 PM

That's how I feel about the sponsor of the Bowl...

But I still bought a ticket to the Bowl. I guess my love for Mr Cutcliffe transcends all.

Duvall
12-17-2013, 08:47 PM

But I still bought a ticket to the Bowl. I guess my love for Mr Cutcliffe transcends all.

See, the difference is that eating at Maurice's means that your money is going to a bigot, while going to the Peach Bowl means that your money is going to people that chose to accept money from bigots...

Yeah, it's still problematic.

throatybeard
12-17-2013, 09:17 PM
See, the difference is that eating at Maurice's means that your money is going to a bigot, while going to the Peach Bowl means that your money is going to people that chose to accept money from bigots...

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

OldPhiKap
12-17-2013, 09:41 PM

Can we get back to the fact that Maurice's has that nasty mustard sauce?

I mean, I am a fan of human rights and equal dignity -- but we're talking about the desecration of barbeque!

(I actually agree with both of you, but any others sponte would hit the PPB red flag)

throatybeard
12-17-2013, 10:11 PM
The more your variety of Q depends on sauce, the more you're admitting that you don't know how to cook the meat. Sauce is a crutch. I'm looking at you, Memphis.

OldPhiKap
12-17-2013, 10:34 PM
The more your variety of Q depends on sauce, the more you're admitting that you don't know how to cook the meat. Sauce is a crutch. I'm looking at you, Memphis.

SC is the only place I know that slathers the Q in it. Many places, it is already soaked in the stuff. Ugh.

More familiar with Memphis ribs, which is dry rub. Not sure about the Q. Rendezvous is good by me.

For the talk of Atlanta BBQ, let's be frank -- ATL has great food and can even be a real foodie town if you want to go that way. Lots of variety, lots of quality, lots of cool spots. It is not a barbecue Mecca though.

GoDuke2004
12-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Have any of you gone to one of these events before? The menu looks good and it would make things easy to plan on eating there, but the tickets are $60 each, which is a little steep. Thanks!

flyingdutchdevil
12-18-2013, 02:41 PM
ATL is a foodie haven. If you're going down, please make a reservation at The Optimist, one of the best seafood restaurants that I've been to. Pricey, but absolutely worth it.

lucybluebear
12-21-2013, 10:32 PM
What about tailgating on Tuesday? $60 is pretty steep to me for the event at the Marquis. Is there a place near the hotel that might be a more affordable option? Maybe some takeout barbecue and chicken? Or what is everybody planning on doing before the game?

What about midnight after we win the peach bowl (chick-fil-a just doesn't sound right)?

sagegrouse
12-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Have any of you gone to one of these events before? The menu looks good and it would make things easy to plan on eating there, but the tickets are $60 each, which is a little steep. Thanks!

I have been to Final Four parties numerous times. It is a chance to see people you know and sometimes the food and drink are excellent. --sage

OldPhiKap
12-21-2013, 11:31 PM
I have been to Final Four parties numerous times. It is a chance to see people you know and sometimes the food and drink are excellent. --sage

You can meet me and my son, which of course, I s worth the price.

Putting that aside, if it is in the GWCC it is right next to the G'Dome. Very convenient to the game, more than about any place unless you tailgate in the parking deck or find a spot to meet in the CNN center. AFAIK..

TruBlu
12-22-2013, 06:12 AM
The best way to get to the Aggie tailgating area is to get on I-285 and take it til it dead-ends at the Dome.

Former Braves pitcher Pascuel Perez will be hosting the event.

throatybeard
12-22-2013, 02:00 PM
The best way to get to the Aggie tailgating area is to get on I-285 and take it til it dead-ends at the Dome.

Former Braves pitcher Pascuel Perez will be hosting the event.

Posthumously? Damn, he's good.

msdukie
12-22-2013, 05:57 PM

As would I.

Reilly
12-30-2013, 03:38 PM
... For the talk of Atlanta BBQ, let's be frank -- ATL has great food and can even be a real foodie town if you want to go that way. Lots of variety, lots of quality, lots of cool spots. It is not a barbecue Mecca though.

So for Duke football games this year, I've now eaten at Rendezvous and Corky's in Memphis, Bullock's in Durham, and, today, Fox Brothers in Atlanta. The Fox Brothers sandwich was very, very dry ... not really good at all. And that's not set against the very high standards of the other places, just looking for a decent sandwich for lunch. The place was hopping, however, so a lot must like it.

OldPhiKap
12-30-2013, 05:47 PM
I've now eaten at Rendezvous and Corky's in Memphis. . . .

Two best places, outside of Lexington (NC, obviously)

Edouble
12-30-2013, 09:34 PM
So for Duke football games this year, I've now eaten at Rendezvous and Corky's in Memphis, Bullock's in Durham, and, today, Fox Brothers in Atlanta. The Fox Brothers sandwich was very, very dry ... not really good at all. And that's not set against the very high standards of the other places, just looking for a decent sandwich for lunch. The place was hopping, however, so a lot must like it.

BBQ should never be on a sandwich, period.

Fox Bros. is Texas style, so you gotta add sauce. I still say Daddy Deez is the best, and only about two miles away from Fox.

Best sandwich in town is the grilled short rib at Young Augustine's.

-bdbd
12-30-2013, 10:35 PM

I've been to them, at the Belk it was just outside the stadium in very large white tents, nicely catered. Lots of Dukie socializing - met lots of fellow fans from all over (don't just go if it is only for the food) - and there were a lot of giveaways, like pom-poms, programs and other goodies. This year it is in the Georia World Congress Center, I believe, in a "Ballroom" sort of setting I am told. BTW, kids are $30, adults are $60. My buddy and I are going but our families are not, due to the cost.

I am traveling with my family of four, including two pre-teen girls. Today we arrived at lunchtime in ATL and went straight to the MLK Museum - very nicely done, thoughtful exhibits - and after checking into our downtown hotel went to the CFA event at the Georgia Aquarium, within a few blocks of the GA Dome (where game is played) and GWC Center. Lots going on in downtown. Was surprised at all of the Duke clothing I saw - I'd say 50-50 vs TAM. The Duke Devil and Cheerleaders were at the Aquarium much of the night too.

Tomorrow will hit the World of Coke (by the Aquarium and Centennial Plazza) and CFA Parade downtown. Still deciding our afternoon plans. Nice to see lots of love from the Atlantans we've met. :D

nyesq83
12-31-2013, 12:28 AM
Thank you for registering for the Forever Duke Chick-fil-A Bowl pregame party. The party will take place on Tuesday, December 31 from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. in the Thomas Murphy Ballroom, Building B, Level 5 at the Georgia World Congress Center. If you received your party tickets in the mail, please bring them with you. If you did not receive tickets in the mail, Duke Alumni Association staff will be on hand to check you in.

Your registration includes access to Chick-fil-A Bowl Fan Fest. Fan Fest takes place from 2:30 – 6:30 p.m. in the Georgia World Congress Center, Building C, Halls C1-C4. If you received your Fan Fest tickets in the mail, please bring them with you. If you did not receive your tickets in the mail, Duke Alumni Association will be located near the entrance to Fan Fest starting at 1:00 p.m. with tickets.

The 46th Chick-fil-A Bowl kicks off at 8:00 p.m. in the Georgia Dome. Game tickets have been distributed by the entity from which you purchased.

Directions and parking information for the Georgia World Congress Center may be found online at www.gwcc.com/directions. You can also view a map of the party location and FanFest here. A full schedule of Chick-fil-A Bowl activities may be found online at www.chick-fil-abowl.com.

We look forward to seeing you in Atlanta. Go Duke!

Reilly
12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Centennial Olympic Park Waffle House met every high expectation.

Mass at the Vatican.
College hoops in Cameron.
Waffle House in Atlanta.

A-Tex Devil
12-31-2013, 04:39 PM
If I missed this up thread, I'm sorry, but for those of you going to the game, stick around at half time and watch the Aggie band. They are legit, and may be the best military style marching band in the world. I give Aggies a hard time elsewhere, but it's pretty cool when the band is on its game. I imagine they'll want to show off a bit, too, tonight.

Reilly
04-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Colt Ford has a song, "Waffle House". Worth listening to on youtube.