PDA

View Full Version : Chick-fil-A Bowl: #24 Duke vs. #21 Texas A&M (12/31 8PM ESPN)

Native
12-08-2013, 08:58 PM
It's official!

It’s official - @Duke_FB vs. @AggieFootball in the 2013 #chickfilabowl! http://bit.ly/1bqSB23

Who's going? Also, any word on student tickets? Inquiring minds wish to know — looking in your general direction, DitBD!

Zephyrius
12-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Interesting to see the Belk Bowl matchup... I guess they've decided they only want Cincinatti and some NC school

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-08-2013, 09:15 PM
It's official!

Who's going? Also, any word on student tickets? Inquiring minds wish to know — looking in your general direction, DitBD!
Working on our hotels right now.

Check with the ticket office in the morning. They should a plan for student tickets ready.

brevity
12-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Someone needs to bring a sign like this:

OldPhiKap
12-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Working on our hotels right now.

Check with the ticket office in the morning. They should a plan for student tickets ready.

The Omni is right next to the Georgia Dome, and I just booked a room. So they have openings, but will fill up.

Reilly
12-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Hilton Garden Inn downtown (walking distance) ... $116/night per priceline

Anthony Travel is offering the official Duke hotel (Marriott Marquis) for $180/night.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Hilton Garden Inn downtown (walking distance) ... $116/night per priceline

Anthony Travel is offering the official Duke hotel (Marriott Marquis) for $180/night.

Marquis is not walking distance (really) but is nice. Still downtown. Short cab ride or MARTA ride although need to change lines.

Hilton Garden is just across Centennial Park if I am thinking of the right place.

I went to the CFA a few years ago and took MARTA to and from the stadium, it ran amazingly smoothly given how many folks they had to move around on NYE. So that is always a reasonable option too.

Dev11
12-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Duke got the ACC's highest non-BCS bowl bid and gets to play the reigning Heisman Trophy champion in a bowl game on New Year's Eve.

How long ago would that have been a ridiculous statement? Not anymore

Lunchab1es
12-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Excellent reward for a year of great achievements. I will be there!

OldPhiKap
12-08-2013, 10:31 PM
How long ago would that have been a ridiculous statement?

For most, September.

(And I picked us to win eight games this year, not letting myself off the hook either)

devildeac
12-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Just got an email from the ID office. Looks like they are upgrading folks who registered early to the lower level end zone seats.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Just got an email from the ID office. Looks like they are upgrading folks who registered early to the lower level end zone seats.

Got the same email. Good for us, but also means that tickets are available for Duke fans.

I have seen plenty of football and basketball games at the Dome, there are NO bad seats. If you can get a ticket in the Duke section, do it. Should be an incredibly entertaining game, and even the back row and upper row seats upstairs are very good.

Plus, NYE in Atlanta is as out of hand as you want to get, if that's your thing. If not, the game is in a comfortable dome and you can get in and out efficiently.

Duvall
12-08-2013, 11:11 PM
It will be strange to go the Georgia Dome for a football game.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2013, 11:17 PM

LOL, kinda know the feeling. But I went to the CFA a few years ago, and have seen a few Falcons games. All from the upper levels, still a great view.

Saw Olympic hoops there a few times, and concerts from the Stones to U2. Several ACC hoops championships, favorite being Duke storming back from a huge deficit against Maryland in 2001 but a nice championship a few years ago as well. Great venue, easy access.

throatybeard
12-08-2013, 11:43 PM

One of the best experiences of my sporting life was the 2005-06 season Sugar Bowl, which was moved to Atlanta because of the storm. I like West Virginia, and they played Georgia. It was close to a home game for Georgia. Late in the RR era at WVU. Rich Rod went for it several times and the Mountaineers won 38-35. Just a great game.

brevity
12-08-2013, 11:48 PM
One of the best experiences of my sporting life was the 2005-06 season Sugar Bowl, which was moved to Atlanta because of the storm. I like West Virginia, and they played Georgia. It was close to a home game for Georgia. Late in the RR era at WVU. Rich Rod went for it several times and the Mountaineers won 38-35. Just a great game.

Your liking Atlanta is a bonus. I made this because you expressed a less-than-enthusiastic response to the Russell Athletic Bowl:

I suppose I should make one that pertains to Texas A&M.

throatybeard
12-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Your liking Atlanta is a bonus. I made this because you expressed a less-than-enthusiastic response to the Russell Athletic Bowl:

If you do, and you wish to honor me, consider my eternal sympathy for A&M and the other three research universities that Texas-Austin ran out of their conference. If opposing fans hassle me at the Georgia Dome, I already know what my solidarity-fostering talking point will be.

Atlanta and I have an uneasy truce. I grew up 50-65 miles outside of it in small towns, and my parents are Silents, so they've structured their lives in increasingly unsustainable ways with each passing decade of their lives, until, now, they live on an exurban golf course isolated from everyone who has to drive to give them aid. My values are those of [New] Urbanism. I'm good with ITP, so yay actual Atlanta. OTP, not so much.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2013, 11:58 PM

No need to antagonize them. And if they are like most Texans I know, they know a hell of a lot more about cattle than Duke fans.

Tell them that beef brisket and beef ribs ain't real barbecue, however -- don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

As to Throaty and OTP -- that struggle gets bigger by the year. The blessing and curse of The New South and post-Olypmics Atlanta.

As I said before, this should be a great game. JM is one oft be most exciting players in college football. It is a much better match than FSU was for us. Would not be surprised to be an underdog in this game, but this game could be a four quarter slugfest.

-bdbd
12-09-2013, 12:36 AM
REALLY looking forward to being there. Any thoughts on where the best sources are for tix? (at reasonable prices)

Probably bringing the whole family (4). The Georgia Dome is walkable from the MARTA, so any hotel near a MARTA stop means you can leave your car keys back at the hotel!!

Atlanta is fun, and I've been there dozens of times. Our "must see" destinations with the kids while in town will be: The Coca Cola Museum (downtown), Martin Luther King Museum and Church, Carter Presidential Library, The Underground (shopping), and the Atlanta Aquarium.

:cool:

OldPhiKap
12-09-2013, 12:40 AM
REALLY looking forward to being there. Any thoughts on where the best sources are for tix? (at reasonable prices)

Probably bringing the whole family (4). The Georgia Dome is walkable from the MARTA, so any hotel near a MARTA stop means you can leave your car keys back at the hotel!!

Atlanta is fun, and I've been there dozens of times. Our "must see" destinations with the kids while in town will be: The Coca Cola Museum (downtown), Martin Luther King Museum and Church, Carter Presidential Library, The Underground (shopping), and the Atlanta Aquarium.

Agree re: Atlanta and MARTA, hope to meet you there.

Regarding tickets, Stubhub did me right for the ACCCG. Duke has tickets too I think through www.goduke.com

uh_no
12-09-2013, 01:03 AM
The Georgia Dome is walkable from the MARTA, so any hotel near a MARTA stop means you can leave your car keys back at the hotel!!

well, if you're taking marta, whether you leave your keys at the hotel or not, they won't be in your pocket when you return to the hotel! :P

throatybeard
12-09-2013, 01:05 AM
well, if you're taking marta, whether you leave your keys at the hotel or not, they won't be in your pocket when you return to the hotel! :P

I don't find this amusing in the least. I'm really tired of the attitudes that people have about public transit.

uh_no
12-09-2013, 01:11 AM
I don't find this amusing in the least. I'm really tired of the attitudes that people have about public transit.

wasn't about public transit in general, just a joke about the perceived safety of the marta, which has a rather sketchy (though perhaps unfounded) rap....wikipedia (obviously the most reliable source) has this to say:

According to Federal Transit Administration records, MARTA's crime statistics are in line with those of similar-sized systems, such as Bay Area Rapid Transit in the San Francisco Bay area.[68] However, high-profile crimes on or near MARTA have created the impression with some that MARTA is unsafe and lacks a strong police presence

further, perceived crime has somewhat stalled the expansion of marta

BigWayne
12-09-2013, 01:20 AM
wasn't about public transit in general, just a joke about the perceived safety of the marta, which has a rather sketchy (though perhaps unfounded) rap....wikipedia (obviously the most reliable source) has this to say:

MARTA is very safe when there is a major event. The volume of people and security involved is much different than the day to day situation. That being said, on regular days I was never uncomfortable riding MARTA trains.

Duvall
12-09-2013, 01:25 AM

"Perceived crime" has been responsible for a lot of dumb decisions over the years. We can do better.

throatybeard
12-09-2013, 01:26 AM
I'd say more, but I won't so as not to take this PPB. But the attitudes are pretty reflective of PPB-related attitude problems.

Edouble
12-09-2013, 01:46 AM

Lifelong ATLien. ITPer. Been riding MARTA all my life. No issues yet.

wilson
12-09-2013, 05:23 AM
I unfortunately won't be able to attend the game, but I have been to the Peach Bowl about 8 times over the years. It is a really well-done event and it's always a fun game. I highly recommend it for anyone.
I would also second the recommendations for MARTA. The stop is essentially connected to the Georgia Dome and you don't need to know anything or even be exposed to the elements to get from one to the other. If you can't do a hotel right near the Dome, try some of the ones in the Lenox Square Mall area, which is a lively place with shopping and restaurants, and there is a MARTA stop there.
As for the Dome itself, I have sat literally all the way on the last row and still had a good view of the game and enjoyed myself. It's pretty hard to do too badly with football seats there.
Atlanta also has lots to offer in the way of museums and other stuff to do, so you could very easily make a fun little vacation out of the whole thing. I'll offer a few more thoughts on that soon if anyone is interested.

grossbus
12-09-2013, 07:58 AM
A&M has a terrible D. if we can control the ball and score, we should do OK.

proud of this team.

Indoor66
12-09-2013, 08:50 AM
A&M has a terrible D. if we can control the ball and score, we should do OK.

proud of this team.

I too am proud of this team. But now we must win the "time of possession" statistic? We may be doomed.

devildeac
12-09-2013, 08:55 AM
I unfortunately won't be able to attend the game, but I have been to the Peach Bowl about 8 times over the years. It is a really well-done event and it's always a fun game. I highly recommend it for anyone.
I would also second the recommendations for MARTA. The stop is essentially connected to the Georgia Dome and you don't need to know anything or even be exposed to the elements to get from one to the other. If you can't do a hotel right near the Dome, try some of the ones in the Lenox Square Mall area, which is a lively place with shopping and restaurants, and there is a MARTA stop there.
As for the Dome itself, I have sat literally all the way on the last row and still had a good view of the game and enjoyed myself. It's pretty hard to do too badly with football seats there.
Atlanta also has lots to offer in the way of museums and other stuff to do, so you could very easily make a fun little vacation out of the whole thing. I'll offer a few more thoughts on that soon if anyone is interested.

Whew, after reading this, I'll guess you'll approve of our hotel choice in the Lenox Square area:D. Check your PM, too;).

graybead
12-09-2013, 10:03 AM
We will be there. We also were upgraded to lower level endzone. I've been to Atlanta many times and have always used the Marta without any issues. I made reservations at the Holiday Inn Atlanta - Perimeter/Dunwoody. There are several other hotels in this area as well with a Marta station at Perimeter Mall. We stayed here for the Kentucky-Duke game last November and had no issues with Marta there and back. I agree that security is probably better with large events like this, but we have used it for general vacations and have never felt unsafe.

It should be a great game. I'm excited!

budwom
12-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Is the term "upgraded to lower level end zone" ironic? I can't imagine a worse place to sit....upper end zone would be far better IMO...

FerryFor50
12-09-2013, 10:45 AM
The good news is that Duke will be playing a team with a player hated on the same level as Laettner. So people outside of College Station will be cheering for Duke.

Bad news is that Manziel is pretty good... hoping for shootout here, because I don't think Duke's defense stops Manziel.

alteran
12-09-2013, 10:51 AM
The good news is that Duke will be playing a team with a player hated on the same level as Laettner. So people outside of College Station will be cheering for Duke.

Bad news is that Manziel is pretty good... hoping for shootout here, because I don't think Duke's defense stops Manziel.

We've been a little lucky in some of our games in that solid quarterbacks have missed open targets.

On the other hand, our secondary has improved a LOT over the season. We've got guys capable of making plays. And our pass rush has gone from awful to somewhere close to "decent."

Color me cautiously optimistic.

How are the Aggies versus the run? If they struggle there at all that could make for a very long day for them.

FerryFor50
12-09-2013, 11:03 AM
We've been a little lucky in some of our games in that solid quarterbacks have missed open targets.

On the other hand, our secondary has improved a LOT over the season. We've got guys capable of making plays. And our pass rush has gone from awful to somewhere close to "decent."

Color me cautiously optimistic.

How are the Aggies versus the run? If they struggle there at all that could make for a very long day for them.

Yea, but Duke hasn't faced a QB this season as good as Manziel other than Winston. I think Manziel does what Marquise Williams did to Duke, but x2....

Gotta outscore them.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2013, 11:13 AM
We need to be able to run the ball, particularly on first down. Life is good when you play from second and five, as opposed to second and nine.

I think that is really the key; both teams should be able to score and I like the playmakers we have on D. Especially at crunch time.

Edit to add, from a Scout article that may or may not be accurate and is not through their last game:

"Through 10 games A&M owns the SEC’s worst total defense, conceding 454.4 yards per game, a full 20.0 yards per game worse than the next team in line (Tennessee). The Aggies rank 13th in the conference in rush defense (210.7 ypg), 12th in pass defense (243.7 ypg) and have given up 230 first downs, the most in the SEC.

"Making matters worse: In part because of how quickly the Aggies’ offense can score, the defense has been on the field for an eternity this fall. At an average of 27 minutes, 26 seconds, Texas A&M ranks last in the league in time of possession.

"Schematically A&M vacillates between a base 4-3 set and a 4-2-5 look"

ricks68
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Containment, containment, containment. This guy can run out of all kinds of trouble. No other quarterback like him right now.

ricks

FerryFor50
12-09-2013, 11:30 AM
We need to be able to run the ball, particularly on first down. Life is good when you play from second and five, as opposed to second and nine.

I think that is really the key; both teams should be able to score and I like the playmakers we have on D. Especially at crunch time.

Edit to add, from a Scout article that may or may not be accurate and is not through their last game:

"Through 10 games A&M owns the SEC’s worst total defense, conceding 454.4 yards per game, a full 20.0 yards per game worse than the next team in line (Tennessee). The Aggies rank 13th in the conference in rush defense (210.7 ypg), 12th in pass defense (243.7 ypg) and have given up 230 first downs, the most in the SEC.

"Making matters worse: In part because of how quickly the Aggies’ offense can score, the defense has been on the field for an eternity this fall. At an average of 27 minutes, 26 seconds, Texas A&M ranks last in the league in time of possession.

The problem with handicapping A&M's defense is that they have played some offensive firepowers.

Alabama - 35th in total yards
Mizzou - 16th in total yards
LSU (prior to Mettenberger's injury) - 25th in total yards
Auburn - 11th in total yards
Mississippi St - 47th in total yards
Ole Miss - 21st in total yards

The only real red flag against A&M was Arkansas, who is pretty bad all around, but does have a mobile QB.

In contrast, none of Duke's opponents were in the top 20 of total offense other than FSU (and we see how that went). The closest was Miami, who was 38th. Duke gave up 30 pts and 565 yards.

A&M has the 4th ranked offense by total yards in the nation and a worse defense than Miami. The key will be if Duke can force Manziel to turn the ball over, which he has been more likely to do this season than in previous years. But I wouldn't really put much stock in how bad A&M's defense supposedly is; a lot of team defenses would have been lit up in the SEC this year.

Winning this game would be HUGE for Duke football; probably the biggest win of the Cutcliffe era. Taking out a top-tier SEC team with a Heisman QB would be a signature win.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2013, 11:38 AM
The problem with handicapping A&M's defense is that they have played some offensive firepowers.

Alabama - 35th in total yards
Mizzou - 16th in total yards
LSU (prior to Mettenberger's injury) - 25th in total yards
Auburn - 11th in total yards
Mississippi St - 47th in total yards
Ole Miss - 21st in total yards

The only real red flag against A&M was Arkansas, who is pretty bad all around, but does have a mobile QB.

In contrast, none of Duke's opponents were in the top 20 of total offense other than FSU (and we see how that went). The closest was Miami, who was 38th. Duke gave up 30 pts and 565 yards.

A&M has the 4th ranked offense by total yards in the nation and a worse defense than Miami. The key will be if Duke can force Manziel to turn the ball over, which he has been more likely to do this season than in previous years. But I wouldn't really put much stock in how bad A&M's defense supposedly is; a lot of team defenses would have been lit up in the SEC this year.

Winning this game would be HUGE for Duke football; probably the biggest win of the Cutcliffe era. Taking out a top-tier SEC team with a Heisman QB would be a signature win.

Valid points, all.

To get you fired up:

http://www.ajc.com/feed/sports/chick-fil-a-bowl-matches-24-duke-and-21-texas-am/fWdKH/

Still have not seed odds on the game, assume we will be underdogs. Just where we want to be.

nocilla
12-09-2013, 11:40 AM
The thread title indicates that ABC has the game but everywhere I have seen shows ESPN carrying the game.

UrinalCake
12-09-2013, 11:57 AM
My wife and her entire extended family are all huge Aggie alums and fans. This is going to make for an interesting holiday season. The Aggies travel well so we need our fans to show up too! And I will say that the Aggie fans are all extremely kind and respectful people. They have developed a culture of treating opposing fans really well when they come into College Station, and I would expect the same from them in Atlanta.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/525452-aggies-compete-with-huskers-for-classiest-college-football-fans

Of course, with that said the ones I know are also referring to Duke as a "high school team" and think they'll destroy us without any trouble.

Atlanta Duke
12-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Do not want to veer into public policy issues but other than as a code word "perceived crime" is not what kept Gwinnett and Cobb counties from voting to join MARTA - it is a moot point now since the federal funding required to extend a heavy rail system is Gone With the Wind

For those who may want to consider staying in the Lenox/Buckhead area there are MARTA rail stations that can get you to the Dome by rail in less than 30 minutes - good luck to anyone who plans to drive to the game and park in lots downtown

IMO ticket prices should be reasonable, unlike when an ACC school such as Clemson and a SEC school east of the Mississippi have played

Native
12-09-2013, 11:59 AM
The thread title indicates that ABC has the game but everywhere I have seen shows ESPN carrying the game.

Whoops, I think you're right. Mods, can you change that?

Farlan
12-09-2013, 12:00 PM
We will be there. We also were upgraded to lower level endzone. I've been to Atlanta many times and have always used the Marta without any issues. I made reservations at the Holiday Inn Atlanta - Perimeter/Dunwoody. There are several other hotels in this area as well with a Marta station at Perimeter Mall. We stayed here for the Kentucky-Duke game last November and had no issues with Marta there and back. I agree that security is probably better with large events like this, but we have used it for general vacations and have never felt unsafe.

It should be a great game. I'm excited!

Thanks for posting this -- I was looking at making a reservation at the Staybridge Inn Peremiter Park and using MARTA. Glad to know that you had no issues!

devildeac
12-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Yea, but Duke hasn't faced a QB this season as good as Manziel other than Winston. I think Manziel does what Marquise Williams did to Duke, but x2....

Gotta outscore them.

Define x2.

Rushing yds?
Passing yds?
Rushing TDs?
Passing TDs?
Completions?
Attempts?
Any combination/s of the above?

I'd be happy with twice the number of INT he threw in that game;).

Atlanta Duke
12-09-2013, 12:03 PM

The web site of The Worldwide Leader states the game is on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/college-football/overview

pfrduke
12-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Whoops, I think you're right. Mods, can you change that?

Done and done

94duke
12-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Valid points, all.

To get you fired up:

http://www.ajc.com/feed/sports/chick-fil-a-bowl-matches-24-duke-and-21-texas-am/fWdKH/

Still have not seed odds on the game, assume we will be underdogs. Just where we want to be.

This part made me chuckle:

Pitting a 10-win Duke team, coming off its best season ever, against an SEC powerhouse brand like Texas A&M...
Remind me, how long have they been in the SEC? ;)

FerryFor50
12-09-2013, 01:08 PM
This part made me chuckle:

Remind me, how long have they been in the SEC? ;)

Ha.

Fair point... but they came right in and made noise. And they do play SEC powerhouses each year... and they hang with them.

ClassOf98
12-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Heading home to GA for the holidays, so clearly we're going to the game. Yay!

I hate sitting in the endzone so I'm considering getting sideline tickets, instead. The Olympics were the last time I can remember being in the Dome, so does anyone have any insight on the following?

1) It's an NCAA event, so will they be selling alcohol during the game?

2) Considering the answer to #1, is there anything to warrant spending the extra $$ on club-level seats?

3) Which endzone are the Duke-allotted seats in? The seating chart on goduke.com is busted for me.

Thanks!

wilson
12-09-2013, 02:46 PM
1) It's an NCAA event, so will they be selling alcohol during the game?

2) Considering the answer to #1, is there anything to warrant spending the extra $$ on club-level seats?

3) Which endzone are the Duke-allotted seats in? The seating chart on goduke.com is busted for me.

Thanks!1) Technically, the bowls are not NCAA-sanctioned events, so they do sell alcohol. It's also pretty easy to get one of those plastic liquor store-issue flasks in.
2) Not at all, in my opinion (see above). Club level seats are very expensive.
3) I'm not sure, but this chart (http://www.chick-fil-abowl.com/2013/pdf/seating-chart/2013-CFAB-Seating-Chart-for-Brochure.pdf) seems to indicate that the ACC end is sections 101/201/301 through about 115/215/315.

budwom
12-09-2013, 03:04 PM

I'm with you completely on running the ball. We should be able to do it, and absolutely MUST do it if we want to score the number of points necessary to win this game...I would
think 35-40 points minimum will be required.

graybead
12-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Just saw the first line for the game and Texas A&M is favored by from 11.5 to 13.5. I think I would take that bet, if I bet. http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

wilson
12-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Just saw the first line for the game and Texas A&M is favored by from 11.5 to 13.5. I think I would take that bet, if I bet. http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/I bet (heh) that spread will grow...the vast majority of money will be on Johnny Football.

moonpie23
12-09-2013, 03:44 PM
i am still in awe of 10-3 and the peach bowl? if i'd offered that back in july, y'all woulda thought i was imbibing….

Skitzle
12-09-2013, 04:14 PM
i am still in awe of 10-3 and the peach bowl? if i'd offered that back in july, y'all woulda thought i was imbibing….

Moonpie on Moonshine

I just looked back at a post of mine in the Bowl Selection Vigil.

I had asked, would you rather win a lousy bowl game or lose a good bowl game. I said that "Getting the A in the AP class" was not an option.

Mostly because I thought it unrealistic, but boy.. does that hypothetical look silly now.

LETS WIN THE GOOD BOWL GAME :D!!! (Dukies do get A's in AP classes by default)

OldPhiKap
12-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Just saw the first line for the game and Texas A&M is favored by from 11.5 to 13.5. I think I would take that bet, if I bet. http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

A bit bigger than I expected, but probably similar to the Miami and VT lines.

I like our match-up.

brevity
12-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Ha.

Fair point... but they came right in and made noise. And they do play SEC powerhouses each year... and they hang with them.

Hang, but lose. (This year.) The Aggies are 0-4 against ranked teams this season. They were within a score of Alabama, Auburn, and Missouri, but lost to LSU by 24. Their best win is probably 41-38 at Ole Miss. Every SEC opponent scored at least 24 against them.

Final scores listed by opponent first. Texas A&M losses bolded.

UTEP 7-57
SMU 13-42
Vanderbilt 24-56
Sam Houston 28-65
Missouri 28-21
Rice 31-52
Arkansas 33-45
LSU 34-10
Ole Miss 38-41
Miss St 41-51
Auburn 45-41
Alabama 49-42

ETA: Rice scored 21 of those 31 points in the first half, during Johnny Manziel's exile from college football. Based on my understanding of football, which comes entirely from ESPN, this is relevant because the quarterback means everything to a team, including its defense.

Dev11
12-09-2013, 04:20 PM
1) Technically, the bowls are not NCAA-sanctioned events, so they do sell alcohol. It's also pretty easy to get one of those plastic liquor store-issue flasks in.

For general knowledge, not selling alcohol at games isn't an NCAA policy. I've been to on-campus sporting events at multiple schools here in CO that have full bars. I believe the restriction is institutional to Duke or the ACC.

FerryFor50
12-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Hang, but lose. (This year.) The Aggies are 0-4 against ranked teams this season. They were within a score of Alabama, Auburn, and Missouri, but lost to LSU by 24. Their best win is probably 41-38 at Ole Miss. Every SEC opponent scored at least 24 against them.

Final scores listed by opponent first. Texas A&M losses bolded.

UTEP 7-57
SMU 13-42
Vanderbilt 24-56
Sam Houston 28-65
Missouri 28-21
Rice 31-52
Arkansas 33-45
LSU 34-10
Ole Miss 38-41
Miss St 41-51
Auburn 45-41
Alabama 49-42

Right. That's why I chose the word carefully. ;)

Let's put it this way - I don't think Duke would put 28 up on Mizzou, 41 on Auburn or 42 on Alabama, especially after how the FSU game went.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2013, 04:22 PM
For general knowledge, not selling alcohol at games isn't an NCAA policy. I've been to on-campus sporting events at multiple schools here in CO that have full bars. I believe the restriction is institutional to Duke or the ACC.

FWIW, there was no beer sold at the Duke-FSU game.

-jk
12-09-2013, 04:26 PM
The NCAA (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Basketball+Resources/Basketball+alcohol+advertising) has a no-alcohol policy at its championship events.

The NCAA has for years banned sales and advertising of all alcohol in the venues of its championships. Host venues are required to cover up any ads for alcoholic drinks.
The NCAA does not control the regular season in any sport, nor does it run the postseason for the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision. Individual schools and conferences oversee the regular season, including game operations, broadcasting and advertising. The postseason for Division I Football Bowl Subdivision is controlled by the Bowl Championship Series and individual bowl committees.

If the Georgia Dome wants to sell hooch, the NCAA doesn't have a say.

-jk

Highlander
12-09-2013, 04:26 PM
FWIW, there was no beer sold at the Duke-FSU game.

There was in the club level sections. But you had to drink it inside; it wasn't allowed outside of the 300 level lobby.

Some of the tickets on StubHub say "No Alcohol." You might pull up a similar section and see what you can get.

I'm trying to decide between sitting in the end zone and possibly getting bumped to the upper deck based on my priority, or buying via the secondary market and getting to pick my seat, but potentially being in a non-Duke section.

brevity
12-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Right. That's why I chose the word carefully. ;)

Let's put it this way - I don't think Duke would put 28 up on Mizzou, 41 on Auburn or 42 on Alabama, especially after how the FSU game went.

I don't disagree, but I think it would be misleading to consider Texas A&M an SEC powerhouse this season. Their top 10 ranking turned out to be undeserved as the season played out. They are cleanly in the league's 2nd tier, behind (a healthy) LSU, ahead of Ole Miss, and square with Georgia.

This bowl game can finally show us what the Aggies can do against a ranked nonconference opponent.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2013, 04:43 PM
There was in the club level sections. But you had to drink it inside; it wasn't allowed outside of the 300 level lobby.

Some of the tickets on StubHub say "No Alcohol." You might pull up a similar section and see what you can get.

I'm trying to decide between sitting in the end zone and possibly getting bumped to the upper deck based on my priority, or buying via the secondary market and getting to pick my seat, but potentially being in a non-Duke section.

I called this morning to fix a credit card issue, and they offered me sideline in addition to endzone. Like many, I got the email saying that I had been upgraded. Until they sort out Iron Duke priority, however, the seats are still unassigned as best I can tell.

AtlDuke72
12-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Marquis is not walking distance (really) but is nice. Still downtown. Short cab ride or MARTA ride although need to change lines.

Hilton Garden is just across Centennial Park if I am thinking of the right place.

I went to the CFA a few years ago and took MARTA to and from the stadium, it ran amazingly smoothly given how many folks they had to move around on NYE. So that is always a reasonable option too.

Actually the Marriott Marquis is only about a 15 -20 minute easy walk and it is safe.

AtlDuke72
12-09-2013, 05:25 PM

I agree with everything except shopping at The Underground. You are about 20 years too late for that - avoid going there.

AtlDuke72
12-09-2013, 05:32 PM
For those who may want to consider staying in the Lenox/Buckhead area there are MARTA rail stations that can get you to the Dome by rail in less than 30 minutes - good luck to anyone who plans to drive to the game and park in lots downtown

If you are driving to the game, you are better off going down Northside Drive which runs along the west side of the stadium and avoid going into down town. There are a lot of parking lots on Northside and you will have a 5 -10 minute walk to the stadium.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2013, 05:52 PM
If you are driving to the game, you are better off going down Northside Drive which runs along the west side of the stadium and avoid going into down town. There are a lot of parking lots on Northside and you will have a 5 -10 minute walk to the stadium.

Or if coming on I-20 from the East, using the Indian Creek MARTA station on the perimeter. It is a straight shot into the Dome, no need to change lines at Five Points.

Newton_14
12-09-2013, 07:38 PM

Not sure who governs it, but do know it is about the college arena being on a college campus. For example, FSU basketball, I believe, has always been able to sell alcohol during their hoops games, because the arena is not on campus. That said, pretty sure alcohol is not served at the PNC arena during NC State home games. That could be a NC State rule or something though.

It may be varying rules throughout the land, not sute.

gam7
12-09-2013, 08:16 PM
I saw Texas A&M in the Holiday Bowl a long time ago, and A&M got crushed, but I can say without hesitation that after seeing their marching band at halftime of that game, A&M is the only marching band in the country that I would bypass halftime food concession lines to watch. They are mesmerizing if you haven't seen them. Highly recommended. From a guy who does not typically appreciate that sort of thing.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-09-2013, 08:49 PM
I saw Texas A&M in the Holiday Bowl a long time ago, and A&M got crushed, but I can say without hesitation that after seeing their marching band at halftime of that game, A&M is the only marching band in the country that I would bypass halftime food concession lines to watch. They are mesmerizing if you haven't seen them. Highly recommended. From a guy who does not typically appreciate that sort of thing.
Their band is legendary. Theme song from Patton. SMU band years ago disrupted the A&M band by using lots of hidden whistles. The upset was great that there were cadets running on to the filed with sabres drawn. A&M is serious about their band, their cheers, their discipline and their uniforms.

Atlanta Duke
12-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Apologize if this has already been posted - glad to see students are being encouraged to attend

According to the Duke Chronicle, the school’s student newspaper, tickets for students to the Blue Devils’ matchup with Texas A&M in the Chick-fil-A Bowl will be free thanks to alumni donations. Students can pick up tickets on campus on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The original ticket price for the game is $90.

http://college-football.si.com/2013/12/09/duke-students-free-chick-fil-a-bowl-tickets/

OldPhiKap
12-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Apologize if this has already been posted - glad to see students are being encouraged to attend

According to the Duke Chronicle, the school’s student newspaper, tickets for students to the Blue Devils’ matchup with Texas A&M in the Chick-fil-A Bowl will be free thanks to alumni donations. Students can pick up tickets on campus on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The original ticket price for the game is $90.

http://college-football.si.com/2013/12/09/duke-students-free-chick-fil-a-bowl-tickets/

Glad to see this, we need the crazies to light up the Dome! ATL is a good place to enjoy NYE.

Atldukie79
12-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I agree with everything except shopping at The Underground. You are about 20 years too late for that - avoid going there.

Agreed on the underground...its just a bad shopping mall (of course, by my definition, all malls are bad, but I don't care to shop)

If you have kids, the zoo is fun...not a walk from downtown, but a 10 minute drive at most.

Traffic indeed can be bad at any time, but as it is New Years Eve, I suspect many of those working will get off early, thus less of a classic rush hour problem. As to how many revelers are heading downtown....that's a different story. Hard to predict.

Regarding MARTA...it will be jammed on New Years Eve... and perhaps a scent of alcohol in the air? I don't care to use it late at night with sparse traffic, but there will be crowds and plenty of security.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2013, 09:01 PM
I have used MARTA for twenty years without problem. Went to the CFA a few years ago, parked at Indian Creek Station and used MARTA. Incredible-looking line leaving the station, but efficient and they got folks out in better speed than leaving a parking deck.

bleudiable
12-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Couldn't resist once I saw PhiKap's tagline.

hurleyfor3
12-10-2013, 12:58 PM

I have as well, although not in Colorado.

At the 2005 ACC Tournament, one of the club areas served free beer until tipoff. I guess having the tournament in DC wasn't a complete disaster.

msdukie
12-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Anyone else here anything about getting upgraded to sideline seats? Thanks.

OldPhiKap
12-10-2013, 01:35 PM

I was upgraded like many people to end zone, and had to call the ticket office about a different matter. They offered to give me sideline seats instead, which I have done. Seats have not been assigned yet, though, so it may well be that by "sideline" they mean "goal line"

I'll let you know what that really means when I find out.

throatybeard
12-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Rather than being able to see well, my main concern is being in a safely pro-Duke section. I've heard the A&M fans are pretty good, but in general, I find dealing with other teams' fans exhausting.

Does anyone know which sections these are?

I just realized that it's likely this is the last event I will ever attend in the Georgia Dome, seeing as how it's on its way out.

duke09hms
12-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Rather than being able to see well, my main concern is being in a safely pro-Duke section. I've heard the A&M fans are pretty good, but in general, I find dealing with other teams' fans exhausting.

Does anyone know which sections these are?

I just realized that it's likely this is the last event I will ever attend in the Georgia Dome, seeing as how it's on its way out.

Think if you buy through goduke.com, you'll be in a safely pro-Duke section. In other words, overpay for worse seats.

msdukie
12-10-2013, 10:17 PM
I called the ticket office this morning. They said they never got sideline seats and that they were not doing upgrades to sideline. They only way there may have been an upgrade is if the Iron Dukes called a Level 1 or maybe Level 2 Iron Duke, per the ticket office, to put them in a sideline seat, but that too was unlikely. I found the seating chart on the bowl app, it appears that Duke's sideline seats consist of about one row. Also, the lower end zone Duke seats are already sold out. Here is the online seating chart, which is useless:

http://www.chick-fil-abowl.com/2013/pdf/seating-chart/2013-CFAB-Seating-Chart-for-Brochure.pdf

If you download the app, it shows you where the school seats are, which is basically the brown seats on the left side for Duke, plus a very small strip on the "ACC sideline".

DU82
12-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Yes, the message I received was because I pre-registered for bowl tickets, I was upgraded first to lower end zone, and then to lower sideline. And I was able to add to what I had already purchased, also in the same section.

What sideline means, I don't know, but it's better than the end zone seats we had last week.

throatybeard
12-10-2013, 10:29 PM
I see. This has me doing what I always do at live sporting events written all over it, which is pacing nervously all over the stadium and watching the games on the TVs while nursing adult beverages.

Jarhead
12-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Yes, the message I received was because I pre-registered for bowl tickets, I was upgraded first to lower end zone, and then to lower sideline. And I was able to add to what I had already purchased, also in the same section.

What sideline means, I don't know, but it's better than the end zone seats we had last week.

My son in Atlanta, Bob, my son in Durham, Eric, and I are going to the game. Bob looked at goduke.com and I called the Iron Duke office. We both found out that only end zone seats were being sold at two prices, $90 and $80 apiece. What's a stronger word than annoyed that won't get me in trouble with the mods? So, Bob pulled up stubhub, and found 3 sideline seats together at $131 apiece in section 113, row 31. We had already checked other sites earlier, but what we saw was more than $150 apiece. We decided to go ahead and get the $131 seats, because Bob noticed seat availability getting tighter as we waited to make up our minds. One other thing -- the tally added shipping charges and a service fee bringing the total ticket price up to $143.68. Bummer.

My season tickets at Wallace Wade are on row EE right on the 46 yard line, so that's the same row as our tickets in the dome. Looking at the Georgia Dome diagram, section 113 looks to be right around the 20 yard line. Acceptable, but not what I'm used to. What remains a mystery is who will be sitting around us. Each of us will be wearing Duke blue garments. If we are surrounded Aggies, I'll have to be careful about telling Aggie jokes. I've got a book full of them in the attic. For protection maybe I should wear a Marine camouflage hat instead of an Iron Duke hat.

throatybeard
12-10-2013, 11:51 PM
My son in Atlanta, Bob, my son in Durham, Eric, and I are going to the game. Bob looked at goduke.com and I called the Iron Duke office. We both found out that only end zone seats were being sold at two prices, $90 and $80 apiece. What's a stronger word than annoyed that won't get me in trouble with the mods? So, Bob pulled up stubhub, and found 3 sideline seats together at $131 apiece in section 113, row 31. We had already checked other sites earlier, but what we saw was more than $150 apiece. We decided to go ahead and get the $131 seats, because Bob noticed seat availability getting tighter as we waited to make up our minds. One other thing -- the tally added shipping charges and a service fee bringing the total ticket price up to $143.68. Bummer.

My season tickets at Wallace Wade are on row EE right on the 46 yard line, so that's the same row as our tickets in the dome. Looking at the Georgia Dome diagram, section 113 looks to be right around the 20 yard line. Acceptable, but not what I'm used to. What remains a mystery is who will be sitting around us. Each of us will be wearing Duke blue garments. If we are surrounded Aggies, I'll have to be careful about telling Aggie jokes. I've got a book full of them in the attic. For protection maybe I should wear a Marine camouflage hat instead of an Iron Duke hat.

I just got my single in 216, which is on a corner in the club-level seats adjacent to a Duke-safe section (215) which was sold out. If I'm not between the goal lines, I like a little elevation. $125 plus subsequent gouging. UPS is supposed to deliver this to me on the 16th. I have to leave StL on the 20th, so I hope this enough buffer. I'd feel a lot better if it were the USPS. UPS and FedEx assume no one has a job and sits around all day waiting to sign for their packages, and then force you to figure out where their regional distribution center is in order to chase your package down.

Reilly
12-11-2013, 12:05 AM
I give to the annual fund every year. I give to the Iron Dukes every year. I buy other Duke stuff from the bookstore and I buy various regular season athletic tickets every year. But when it comes to a bowl game, for me, it's a no-brainer to go Stubhub.

That's what I did last year for the Belk Bowl -- paid just a bit more than what Duke was charging, sat on the 40 yard line, and had access to the warm and cozy club level on a cold night. This year, paying more than last year, but sitting in very good lower level sideline seats, and miracle of miracles, I actually know where they are when I pay my money.

The football media guide on theacc.com site explains how the cost of unsold bowl tickets is not suffered solely by the school. It's:
Bowl payout - team expenses - cost of unsold tix = total bowl "profit"/ACC member schools

And I was one of the 25K Duke fans in Charlotte for the Belk Bowl, and the bowls this year knew that we'd travel well, so I contributed to the "Duke travels" story, even if I did not buy through Duke last year. In my perhaps misguided opinion, so many other factors (good tv story, good buzz, exciting offense, 1-win conference rule, geography, conference affiliation, total traveling fanbase) influence bowl selections -- factors they consider before they look at how many tickets the team sold through its official channels.

throatybeard
12-11-2013, 12:28 AM
The football media guide on theacc.com site explains how the cost of unsold bowl tickets is not suffered solely by the school. It's:
Bowl payout - team expenses - cost of unsold tix = total bowl "profit"/ACC member schools

That clearly ain't no problem. The bowl announced its earliest sellout ever about a month ago. With that timeframe and the school allocations undecided, I'm sure there are some reasonable assumptions built into that, but it's like their 18th or 19th straight sellout.

Man, when I was a kid, the Peach Bowl wasn't this. They have built the hell out of this thing. And next year, it's in the privileged six.

Duvall
12-11-2013, 12:29 AM
That clearly ain't no problem. The bowl announced its earliest sellout ever about a month ago. I'm sure there's some reasonable assumptions built into that, but it's like their 18th or 19th straight.

Except that I don't think that includes the team allotment. Sellout or no, Duke and the ACC have 18,500 tickets to sell or eat.

-bdbd
12-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Trying to decide. $90 for enzone vs $80 via stubhub row 30, on the fifteen yard line. Since I am only buying 2, I can get seats most anywhere, but am waffling. Want to support Duke and sit among fellow Dukies, but sure doesn't seem like a good deal...

Aren't most of the people sitting on the "ACC side" going to be Duke fans (yes, not all)?

BTW, just went to the goDuke site an hour ago and they don't offer lower level anymore. Is that correct - did Duke sell out all of its lower-level seats already? Am a (lower level) Iron Duke, would it be worthwhile to call the ID office?

Some of you are better connected to this stuff than me... :confused:

throatybeard
12-11-2013, 12:41 AM
Except that I don't think that includes the team allotment. Sellout or no, Duke and the ACC have 18,500 tickets to sell or eat.

I'm confident we can kill that. Did it at 6-6 for Belk.

This is anecdotal evidence, but I think there are quite a few others like me. I live out of region. Not a state away or two, out. People howl about how there aren't 33,491 people at the Duke-Popcorn State game under the noonday sun in September. We're a national school, and national people ain't gonna beat feet for a game like that. Miami was our biggest RS game in decades, and I couldn't even consider a try for that. I have a wife, a child, a job, etc.

A bowl game as big as this one, which is about to be one of the privileged six (tm, everybody can cite me on that phrase later, haha), that is a game changer. I'll be at it because I explain to my wife, this hasn't occurred during my lifetime and may not again, and it's right in the SE where our families are.

Some people who don't usually come will make an exception.

wilson
12-11-2013, 05:29 AM
I just got my single in 216, which is on a corner in the club-level seats adjacent to a Duke-safe section (215) which was sold out. If I'm not between the goal lines, I like a little elevation. $125 plus subsequent gouging. UPS is supposed to deliver this to me on the 16th. I have to leave StL on the 20th, so I hope this enough buffer. I'd feel a lot better if it were the USPS. UPS and FedEx assume no one has a job and sits around all day waiting to sign for their packages, and then force you to figure out where their regional distribution center is in order to chase your package down.Stubhub is good about making things right if/when parcel carriers screw things up. I have dealt with a couple of situations like that in the past. You should be ok.

wilson
12-11-2013, 05:32 AM
I'm confident we can kill that. Did it at 6-6 for Belk.

This is anecdotal evidence, but I think there are quite a few others like me. I live out of region. Not a state away or two, out. People howl about how there aren't 33,491 people at the Duke-Popcorn State game under the noonday sun in September. We're a national school, and national people ain't gonna beat feet for a game like that. Miami was our biggest RS game in decades, and I couldn't even consider a try for that. I have a wife, a child, a job, etc.

A bowl game as big as this one, which is about to be one of the privileged six (tm, everybody can cite me on that phrase later, haha), that is a game changer. I'll be at it because I explain to my wife, this hasn't occurred during my lifetime and may not again, and it's right in the SE where our families are.

Some people who don't usually come will make an exception.Plus with Atlanta's ginormous airport and a fanbase that I would bet flies more than average for both professional and personal purposes, this game is relatively easy to get to from almost anywhere.

OldPhiKap
12-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Stubhub is good about making things right if/when parcel carriers screw things up. I have dealt with a couple of situations like that in the past. You should be ok.

Fwiw I printed tickets directly from Stubhub for the ACCCG without problem.

OldPhiKap
12-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Plus with Atlanta's ginormous airport and a fanbase that I would bet flies more than average for both professional and personal purposes, this game is relatively easy to get to from almost anywhere.

In my part of the country, when you die and go to Heaven, they route you through Atlanta first.

throatybeard
12-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Plus with Atlanta's ginormous airport and a fanbase that I would bet flies more than average for both professional and personal purposes, this game is relatively easy to get to from almost anywhere.

It's a fantastic airport. Yeah, I'm earthbound for the Christmas trip. We've talked about other ways of doing it, and at times I've put the women and children* in the air one-way and caught up with them, but at the end of the day, somebody gotta drive the nine year old Prius with all the junk in it. I have no idea what we would do if we lived in Seattle or Taiwan or Botswana. This time, we're all in the car. The only question year on year is whether I go clockwise (NC first) or counter-clockwise (GA first).

Being in rural Georgia at Christmas is weird to me...no it isn't...that's the wrong word. It makes me feel like I never left and everything else (college, State, Duke again, Mississippi State, here) was a hallucination. Or like these yankees up here found me traveling without papers in a foreign land, and said no, way, son,** we're shipping you back where you came from. I continue to study their Midwestern ways. I am now a very very amateur social anthropologist. This provel cheese they have, I tell ya.

I give thanks that Duke is in the sixth-fanciest bowl there is, a bit more than an hour from my MIL's house. My joke about where my wife's people live is "you know you're country if, when you go out to eat, you drive to Alabama to do it." (Auburn/Opelika)*** Ain't no fancy two-Waffle-House exits.

* - This amuses no one but me, but I think it's hilarious to refer to my solitary wife and son as "the women and children," as if they're boarding a lifeboat off a sinking ship.

** - They wouldn't say "son," would they?

*** - Ever since my parents moved from NC to GA when I was not yet seven, and this is really the point of this post, I've been impressed with the word 'Alabama.' It think it's the stress pattern and the two voiced bilabial consonants. When I was a child, it was always right there, and just like ten miles away. A whole nother state! And time zone!! It was like time travel. Too late for Sunday brunch in Georgia? Just drive to Alabama! And Keith Jackson's booming voice. Put your rooting loyalties aside: is there a more satisfying utterance to hear in televised sports than Keith Jackson (a native of west Georgia, Roopville, for gosh sakes) booming out, "touchdown, Alabama!" I'm also fascinated with the idea of driving to Alabama. When we lived in Mississippi, the Villager was falling apart**** so I went on Edmunds or Autotrader or somewhere, and I looked over the 1999 Tacomas within a 300 mile radius. We were about to move out of temporary faculty housing at MSU and I figured a truck would be useful. I found two vehicles that looked equally OK and cost about the same, and one was somewhere north of Tupelo and one was in Prattville, AL. I told my wife that I got the one in Alabama so that we could leave the van there and it would be halfway back to Georgia, where a gentleman called "Minnesota Mike" was waiting on it.

But the real honest-to-God-truth is, I picked the one in Prattville just so when people asked me what I did last weekend, I could say "Drove to Alabama, bought me a truck."

****- Yes, I was under thirty, and we had an old Mercury Villager we bought from my brother-in-law for like $500 or something. We would use it as a tent at campsites so we didn't have to pay for a motel. It wouldn't go in reverse, so we'd park it on the lawn, pointed downhill towards the street. I'm not sure what Minnesota Mike's proposed solution for that was.

devildeac
12-11-2013, 08:47 AM
In my part of the country, when you die and go to Heaven, they route you through Atlanta first.

With an extended layover, too.

gus
12-11-2013, 09:40 AM
With an extended layover, too.

I thought Benedict XVI did away with that.

budwom
12-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Stunningly good that I can get a nonstop flight from Vermont (unless weather or Deltoid incompetence intervene, both of which are distinct possibilities).

Question: are there any good dining places in the airport I should know about as I have an evening flight on Jan 1 ??

ricks68
12-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Stunningly good that I can get a nonstop flight from Vermont (unless weather or Deltoid incompetence intervene, both of which are distinct possibilities).

Question: are there any good dining places in the airport I should know about as I have an evening flight on Jan 1 ??

A better question to ask is: What are the good breakfast (and possibly lunch) places to eat in the Atlanta airport? (Those that fly Delta through Atlanta know exactly what I mean by suggesting a change in your question.:mad:)

ricks

Reilly
12-11-2013, 10:49 AM
... And Keith Jackson's booming voice. Put your rooting loyalties aside: is there a more satisfying utterance to hear in televised sports than Keith Jackson (a native of west Georgia, Roopville, for gosh sakes) booming out, "touchdown, Alabama!" ...

It is very satisfying. People from Alabama don't sound as good as Keith saying Alabama, do they? Thinking of the way Cut says "Alabama." And what gets me about Keith, however, is that I think the exclamation point is actually not there -- or, if there, it comes after "touchdown" not after "Alabama." He doesn't scream it, he doesn't exclaim it ... the "ama" in "Alabama" is on a downward trajectory, not rising -- it's just the voice of a well-pleased God, noting what those in his creation are doing on that particular fall Saturday late afternoon.

Jarhead
12-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I thought Benedict XVI did away with that.

It appears that Francis put it back.3742

budwom
12-11-2013, 01:08 PM
A better question to ask is: What are the good breakfast (and possibly lunch) places to eat in the Atlanta airport? (Those that fly Delta through Atlanta know exactly what I mean by suggesting a change in your question.:mad:)

ricks

This is not the encouraging kind of news I was looking for...I have enough doubts about (regional) Deltoid as it is...
Are there any especially plush couches or recliners I should know about?

roywhite
12-11-2013, 01:19 PM

Buddy, you old Green Mountain guy, admit it....were you pulling just al little bit for the Vermont Catamounts when they nearly pulled the huge upset in Cameron?

And did that game generate as much excitement there as it generated consternation here?

throatybeard
12-11-2013, 01:23 PM
It is very satisfying. People from Alabama don't sound as good as Keith saying Alabama, do they? Thinking of the way Cut says "Alabama." And what gets me about Keith, however, is that I think the exclamation point is actually not there -- or, if there, it comes after "touchdown" not after "Alabama." He doesn't scream it, he doesn't exclaim it ... the "ama" in "Alabama" is on a downward trajectory, not rising -- it's just the voice of a well-pleased God, noting what those in his creation are doing on that particular fall Saturday late afternoon.

All those beautiful names from the Muskogean languages. Just reading a map of Mississippi or Alabama is a joy.

Bubba Sparxxx has a couplet in "Nowhere" that capitalizes on the [English] stress patterns of two place names:

[i]Never once forgot my manners cuz my mama
Played in public housin, Opelika, Alabama[i]

The predicate of the first clause is actually enjambed from its subject--"...and I" comes at the end of the previous line. He pronounces the first syllable of "mama" with /ae/, so it rhymes.

Colin Cowherd may not know that he does, but he loves saying "Tuscaloosa." I think he talks about Nick Saban 50% more than he otherwise would just so he gets to say "Tuscaloosa" more often.

throatybeard
12-11-2013, 01:29 PM

There's a surprisingly fancy place which I can't remember the name of. You go up the escalator, to Concourse E and you're confronted with a food court, a piano, and an info desk. Restaurant is on your LEFT.* It's like an actual restaurant, not just bar food. They have Laphroaig, so you know I'm there.

Beerwise, there's Sweetwater. They have bar food. I think they may have an additional location, but I know there's one in Concourse B towards the lower numbered gates.

That airport has swanked up quite a bit since I was young.

* - NOTE EDIT, SORRY

budwom
12-11-2013, 01:55 PM
There's a surprisingly fancy place which I can't remember the name of. You go up the escalator, to Concourse E and you're confronted with a food court, a piano, and an info desk. Restaurant is on your right. It's like an actual restaurant, not just bar food. They have Laphroaig, so you know I'm there.

Beerwise, there's Sweetwater. They have bar food. I think they may have an additional location, but I know there's one in Concourse B towards the lower numbered gates.

That airport has swanked up quite a bit since I was young.

Thanks for the recommendation, just what I was looking for...no telling how many hours I could be there, will try it assuming I can get there without going thru security, etc...this
is the problem with 7:30 pm flights, need to be there by 6 or so, precludes other dining options...

budwom
12-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Buddy, you old Green Mountain guy, admit it....were you pulling just al little bit for the Vermont Catamounts when they nearly pulled the huge upset in Cameron?

And did that game generate as much excitement there as it generated consternation here?

I really wasn't pulling for Vermont at all, as much as I admired their play...and clearly (pretty much) everyone knows they deserved to win the game.
We (Duke) played right into their hands, overplaying like crazy and getting beat repeatedly....

It was duly noted up here, but should have been discussed much more...the Cats have a very successful hoop program with a small but loyal following, though hoop mania up here is but a
fraction of what it is in North Carolina...then again, had Vermont won, they probably would have made an appropriately big deal about it ...

AtlDuke72
12-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, just what I was looking for...no telling how many hours I could be there, will try it assuming I can get there without going thru security, etc...this
is the problem with 7:30 pm flights, need to be there by 6 or so, precludes other dining options...

You do have to go through security to get to any Concourse. The place recommended on Concourse E is very good. There is also a PF Chang on Concourse B (I think) Not much before you go through securtity althought there may be a Hoolihans.

budwom
12-11-2013, 04:06 PM
You do have to go through security to get to any Concourse. The place recommended on Concourse E is very good. There is also a PF Chang on Concourse B (I think) Not much before you go through securtity althought there may be a Hoolihans.

I just meant I hope I don't have to exit thru security to get to the restaurant...some weird airports you can only get to some stuff or other concourses by exiting and having to go thru security
a second time, which I hope to avoid...

throatybeard
12-11-2013, 04:31 PM
I just meant I hope I don't have to exit thru security to get to the restaurant...some weird airports you can only get to some stuff or other concourses by exiting and having to go thru security
a second time, which I hope to avoid...

All the goodies in Atlanta are past the checkpoint. Train gets you everywhere. Note my edit above. I have problems saying left and right. The nice place is on your left when you get up the escalator to the E Concourse.

OldPhiKap
12-11-2013, 05:24 PM
All the goodies in Atlanta are past the checkpoint. Train gets you everywhere. Note my edit above. I have problems saying left and right. The nice place is on your left when you get up the escalator to the E Concourse.

MARTA is also a very convenient way to access and leave the airport if you do not need a car.

94duke
12-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Is there any chance the mods can move all the MARTA "discussions" to the other thread?
I was hoping this thread would just be about football! :)

arnie
12-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Is there any chance the mods can move all the MARTA "discussions" to the other thread?
I was hoping this thread would just be about football! :)

Thank you- thinking the same. Can we handle a Manzeil type QB or will our O need to score 50?

OldPhiKap
12-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Thank you- thinking the same. Can we handle a Manzeil type QB or will our O need to score 50?

We need to score. I think our defense can hold its own, but they're gonna put points on the board. LSU held them to 10, and Missouri held them to 21. Every other game, I think they put up 41 points or more. Including 41 on Auburn, and 42 on Alabama.

throatybeard
12-13-2013, 06:46 PM
I've been monitoring the line, if "monitoring" means looking at it in your local newspaper every morning, which is not real-time data.

Hasn't budged from 12.5.

I was stoic about the FSU game, before the FSU game, but I've allowed myself to get my hopes up about this. Scenarios creep into my head. Maybe Sumlin gets hired away. Maybe Manziel gets in trouble again. Maybe A&M is full strength and we just hit them in the mouth, somehow. I want to see the "Duke beats Johnny Football" headline. He's like a secular Tebow. The PR would be huge.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2013, 06:55 PM
He's like a secular Tebow.

He's my Wonderwall.

Troublemaker
12-14-2013, 09:55 AM
I've been monitoring the line, if "monitoring" means looking at it in your local newspaper every morning, which is not real-time data.

Hasn't budged from 12.5.

I was stoic about the FSU game, before the FSU game, but I've allowed myself to get my hopes up about this. Scenarios creep into my head. Maybe Sumlin gets hired away. Maybe Manziel gets in trouble again. Maybe A&M is full strength and we just hit them in the mouth, somehow. I want to see the "Duke beats Johnny Football" headline. He's like a secular Tebow. The PR would be huge.

Throaty, online I've seen it go from 13 to 12 at most books. I think as we get closer to kickoff, it will continue to shrink down to 11 at least and maybe 10.5. I really like Duke to cover this game, but hopefully a last-second Manziel drive won't thwart us from victory. That's what I'm most worried about. Giving Johnny Football the ball last.

Dev11
12-14-2013, 10:06 AM
I really like Duke to cover this game, but hopefully a last-second Manziel drive won't thwart us from victory. That's what I'm most worried about. Giving Johnny Football the ball last.

I envision Johnny having the ball last will end as it did with Marquise Williams having the ball last: with DeVon Edwards actually having the ball last.

Reilly
12-14-2013, 10:32 AM
... I've seen it go from 13 to 12 at most books. I think as we get closer to kickoff, it will continue to shrink down to 11 at least and maybe 10.5. I really like Duke to cover this game ...

I looked at the Sagarin rankings, and I'd agree with you that Duke +12 would seem like a decent bet right now.

I ordered Texas A&M's games by margin of victory. They range from a 50 point victory over UTEP to a 24 point loss to LSU. I also looked at what the expected outcome of their games would be based on the final Sagarin "predictor" number for the teams involved. A couple of things jumped out at me.

- When Texas A&M played somebody ranked higher than them in the final Sagarin rankings, they lost.
- When Texas A&M played somebody ranked lower than them in the final Sagarin rankings, they won.
In other words, there were no upsets in either direction. (I realize this 'finding' is flawed b/c the result we are predicting is included in the numbers used for the final ordering).

- Texas A&M feasted on the weaker teams. It played the teams ranked #182, #101, #55, #110, and #65 and beat them worse than expected: beating them by 9, 14, 19, 4 and 6 more points than the final Sagarin predictor would expect.

- When Texas A&M played teams around the level of Duke (Duke is #48 in the final Sagarin predictor; Ole Miss and Miss State are #45 and #46), Texas A&M played just as expected: expected to win by 10 at home, and they did just that; expected to win by 3 on the road, and they did just that.

- The Sagarin predictor would show A&M as an 8-point favorite on a neutral field against Duke.

tex a&m [#22, 82.53]

utep [#182, 44.23] ... expected +41 ... actual +50
sam houston [#101, 62.08] ... expected +23 ... actual +37
vandy [#55, 72.93] ... expected +13 .... actual +32
smu [#110, 60.18] ... expected +25 ... actual +29
rice [#65, 70.65] ... expected +15 .... actual +21
@ark [#86, 63.84] ... expected +16 ... actual +12
miss state [#46, 75.47] ... expected +10 ... actual +10
Nduke [#48, 74.46] ... expected +8 .... actual ????????
@ole miss [#45, 75.90] ... expected +3 ... actual +3
auburn [#11, 88.37] ... expected -3 ... actual -4
@mizzou [#14, 87.26] ... expected -8 ... actual -7
alabama [#2, 98.35] ... expected -13 ... actual -7
@lsu [#17, 85.28] ... expected -6 ... actual -24

devildeac
12-14-2013, 03:27 PM
I looked at the Sagarin rankings, and I'd agree with you that Duke +12 would seem like a decent bet right now.

I ordered Texas A&M's games by margin of victory. They range from a 50 point victory over UTEP to a 24 point loss to LSU. I also looked at what the expected outcome of their games would be based on the final Sagarin "predictor" number for the teams involved. A couple of things jumped out at me.

- When Texas A&M played somebody ranked higher than them in the final Sagarin rankings, they lost.
- When Texas A&M played somebody ranked lower than them in the final Sagarin rankings, they won.
In other words, there were no upsets in either direction. (I realize this 'finding' is flawed b/c the result we are predicting is included in the numbers used for the final ordering).

- Texas A&M feasted on the weaker teams. It played the teams ranked #182, #101, #55, #110, and #65 and beat them worse than expected: beating them by 9, 14, 19, 4 and 6 more points than the final Sagarin predictor would expect.

- When Texas A&M played teams around the level of Duke (Duke is #48 in the final Sagarin predictor; Ole Miss and Miss State are #45 and #46), Texas A&M played just as expected: expected to win by 10 at home, and they did just that; expected to win by 3 on the road, and they did just that.

- The Sagarin predictor would show A&M as an 8-point favorite on a neutral field against Duke.

tex a&m [#22, 82.53]

utep [#182, 44.23] ... expected +41 ... actual +50
sam houston [#101, 62.08] ... expected +23 ... actual +37
vandy [#55, 72.93] ... expected +13 .... actual +32
smu [#110, 60.18] ... expected +25 ... actual +29
rice [#65, 70.65] ... expected +15 .... actual +21
@ark [#86, 63.84] ... expected +16 ... actual +12
miss state [#46, 75.47] ... expected +10 ... actual +10
Nduke [#48, 74.46] ... expected +8 .... actual ????????
@ole miss [#45, 75.90] ... expected +3 ... actual +3
auburn [#11, 88.37] ... expected -3 ... actual -4
@mizzou [#14, 87.26] ... expected -8 ... actual -7
alabama [#2, 98.35] ... expected -13 ... actual -7
@lsu [#17, 85.28] ... expected -6 ... actual -24

Good analysis. Thanks. We gave up 45 points to FSU. I'm hoping Johnny Football can't propel A&M to more than that number against us (Of course I do remember Pitt scored 58.) . We'll just have to score 48-49 points that night;).

jimsumner
12-14-2013, 04:23 PM
I envision Johnny having the ball last will end as it did with Marquise Williams having the ball last: with DeVon Edwards actually having the ball last.

Well, technically, Anthony Boone had the ball last. In the victory formation. Which I will take. Gladly.

Reilly
12-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Duke [#48, 74.52]

NCCU [#226, 34.44] ... predicted +43 ... actual +45
Navy [#60, 71.83] ... predicted +6 ... actual +28
NCSU .[#103, 61.56] ... predicted +16 .. actual +18
Miami [#42, 76.36] ... predicted +1... actual +18
@Memphis [ #106, 61.13] ... predicted +10 ... actual +14
@UVa [#109, 60.48] ... predicted +11 ... actual +13
Troy [#127, 56.63] ... predicted +21 ... actual +7
@WFU [ #96, 62.57] ... predicted +9 ... actual +7
@VT [#36, 78.26] ... predicted -7 ... actual +3
@UNC [#54, 73.25] ... predicted -2 ... actual +2
Pitt [#57, 72.79] ... predicted +5 ... actual -3
GT [#27, 80.67] ... predicted -3 ... actual -24
NFSU [ #1, 101.11] ... predicted -27 ... actual -38

TXA&M won every game that Sagrin would predict as a win; lost every game that Sagarin would predict they'd lose

Duke won 8 games Sagarin would predict we'd win (nccu, navy, ncsu, miami, @memphis, @uva, troy, @wfu)

Duke won 2 games that Sagarin would predict we'd lose (@VT and @UNC)

Duke lost a game that Sagarin would predict we'd win (Pitt) [QB out; defense not gelling yet]

Duke lost two games that Sagarin would predict we'd lose (GT, FSU) ... but we lost them worse than expected

Sagarin is predicting Tex A&M by 8 over Duke .... let's come up with a tough, physical, opportunistic performance like we had @VT and @UNC, and upset expectations.

What scares me is the we pulled off the @VT and @UNC upsets, in part, b/c those teams had offenses that couldn't get out of their own way, to a degree. Texas A&M doesn't have that problem.

nmduke2001
12-16-2013, 09:54 AM
I just saw the article that Brandon Connette left the team to be with his mother who needed emergency brain surgery. Any updates on her condition and if we expect Brandon to return?

Best wishes to her and his family.

OldPhiKap
12-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Prayers and positive vibes for Brandon, his mom, and his family.

Reilly
12-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Looking like white jerseys for bowl game ...
https://twitter.com/wpickell/status/412761403263844352/photo/1

Spoke
12-17-2013, 05:24 PM
I bought tickets from a friend before I knew who would be on which sideline.

Looks like I will be deep in enemy territory (though near midfield, so there's that). I will try to get dispatches through the lines.

throatybeard
12-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Looks like I will be deep in enemy territory (though near midfield, so there's that). I will try to get dispatches through the lines.

That's how I felt when I took two lx classes [thru the consortium] at UNC. I felt like I had been shot down behind enemy lines, and landed with a parachute. I went to the convenience store on campus. They had a framed picture of Avery hugging K in our 1999 title game loss, N&O sports section. Petty. I never wore Duke gear, out of self preservation. The era was important. In 1999, after the 81-61 game at the Dean Dome, a crowd of UNC folk cheered around the Hinton-James dorm while three UNC guys beat one Duke guy. (There was even an editorial in the Daily Tar Heel denouncing the event, so at least there's that). Now, I know Duke guys, and I'm sure he mouthed off, but still, what a sick dynamic.

Perhaps y'all can understand why I like being in a "safe" section for my team.

OldPhiKap
12-17-2013, 08:31 PM
That's how I felt when I took two lx classes [thru the consortium] at UNC. I felt like I had been shot down behind enemy lines, and landed with a parachute. I went to the convenience store on campus. They had a framed picture of Avery hugging K in our 1999 title game loss, N&O sports section. Petty. I never wore Duke gear, out of self preservation. The era was important. In 1999, after the 81-61 game at the Dean Dome, a crowd of UNC folk cheered around the Hinton-James dorm while three UNC guys beat one Duke guy. (There was even an editorial in the Daily Tar Heel denouncing the event, so at least there's that). Now, I know Duke guys, and I'm sure he mouthed off, but still, what a sick dynamic.

Perhaps y'all can understand why I like being in a "safe" section for my team.

Better bring one of those kits that Slim Pickens had in Dr. Strangelove. A guy could have a pretty good time in Atlanta with it.

throatybeard
12-18-2013, 06:34 AM
It's a fantastic airport. Yeah, I'm earthbound for the Christmas trip. We've talked about other ways of doing it, and at times I've put the women and children* in the air one-way and caught up with them, but at the end of the day, somebody gotta drive the nine year old Prius with all the junk in it. I have no idea what we would do if we lived in Seattle or Taiwan or Botswana. This time, we're all in the car. The only question year on year is whether I go clockwise (NC first) or counter-clockwise (GA first).

Being in rural Georgia at Christmas is weird to me...no it isn't...that's the wrong word. It makes me feel like I never left and everything else (college, State, Duke again, Mississippi State, here) was a hallucination. Or like these yankees up here found me traveling without papers in a foreign land, and said no, way, son,** we're shipping you back where you came from. I continue to study their Midwestern ways. I am now a very very amateur social anthropologist. This provel cheese they have, I tell ya.

I give thanks that Duke is in the sixth-fanciest bowl there is, a bit more than an hour from my MIL's house. My joke about where my wife's people live is "you know you're country if, when you go out to eat, you drive to Alabama to do it." (Auburn/Opelika)*** Ain't no fancy two-Waffle-House exits.

* - This amuses no one but me, but I think it's hilarious to refer to my solitary wife and son as "the women and children," as if they're boarding a lifeboat off a sinking ship.

** - They wouldn't say "son," would they?

*** - Ever since my parents moved from NC to GA when I was not yet seven, and this is really the point of this post, I've been impressed with the word 'Alabama.' It think it's the stress pattern and the two voiced bilabial consonants. When I was a child, it was always right there, and just like ten miles away. A whole nother state! And time zone!! It was like time travel. Too late for Sunday brunch in Georgia? Just drive to Alabama! And Keith Jackson's booming voice. Put your rooting loyalties aside: is there a more satisfying utterance to hear in televised sports than Keith Jackson (a native of west Georgia, Roopville, for gosh sakes) booming out, "touchdown, Alabama!" I'm also fascinated with the idea of driving to Alabama. When we lived in Mississippi, the Villager was falling apart**** so I went on Edmunds or Autotrader or somewhere, and I looked over the 1999 Tacomas within a 300 mile radius. We were about to move out of temporary faculty housing at MSU and I figured a truck would be useful. I found two vehicles that looked equally OK and cost about the same, and one was somewhere north of Tupelo and one was in Prattville, AL. I told my wife that I got the one in Alabama so that we could leave the van there and it would be halfway back to Georgia, where a gentleman called "Minnesota Mike" was waiting on it.

But the real honest-to-God-truth is, I picked the one in Prattville just so when people asked me what I did last weekend, I could say "Drove to Alabama, bought me a truck."

****- Yes, I was under thirty, and we had an old Mercury Villager we bought from my brother-in-law for like $500 or something. We would use it as a tent at campsites so we didn't have to pay for a motel. It wouldn't go in reverse, so we'd park it on the lawn, pointed downhill towards the street. I'm not sure what Minnesota Mike's proposed solution for that was.

My wife has corrected me. Minnesota Mike was not the recipient of the busted Villager. It was a gentleman called "Russ-Gus."

devildeac
12-18-2013, 05:40 PM
From the Raleigh N&O today:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/12/17/3467783/duke-football-faces-another-challenge.html

Some tidbits:

"Duke is practicing without backup quarterback Brandon Connette, in California with his mother, Nancy, who is recovering from surgery from a brain tumor.

Cutcliffe said that there is no timetable for Connette to return and that freshman Parker Boehme is taking snaps with the second team."

Interesting no mention of Sirk.

Another Cut "classic":

"Senior tackle Perry Simmons, who started 50 straight games but suffered a torn ACL against Florida State, is out, and sophomore Lucas Patrick will get his first career start in Simmons’ place.

“(Patrick is) ready for this challenge,” Cutcliffe said. “I told him yesterday: ‘I’ve already named the position you’re starting at. It’s not going to be called right tackle any more.’

“ He’s starting at ‘Simmons.’ ”

OldPhiKap
12-18-2013, 07:54 PM
From the Raleigh N&O today:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/12/17/3467783/duke-football-faces-another-challenge.html

Some tidbits:

"Duke is practicing without backup quarterback Brandon Connette, in California with his mother, Nancy, who is recovering from surgery from a brain tumor.

Cutcliffe said that there is no timetable for Connette to return and that freshman Parker Boehme is taking snaps with the second team."

Interesting no mention of Sirk.

Another Cut "classic":

"Senior tackle Perry Simmons, who started 50 straight games but suffered a torn ACL against Florida State, is out, and sophomore Lucas Patrick will get his first career start in Simmons’ place.

“(Patrick is) ready for this challenge,” Cutcliffe said. “I told him yesterday: ‘I’ve already named the position you’re starting at. It’s not going to be called right tackle any more.’

“ He’s starting at ‘Simmons.’ ”

Cut said in his PC that he would not burn Sirk's redshirt, even if Connette cannot return to the team.

He also said that if Connette returned two days before the bowl, he would be ready to play.

No time table, told Connette's dad that Connor was where he should be right now.

Entire PC is on goduke.com, always worth watching Cut.

devildeac
12-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Cut said in his PC that he would not burn Sirk's redshirt, even if Connette cannot return to the team.

He also said that if Connette returned two days before the bowl, he would be ready to play.

No time table, told Connette's dad that Connor was where he should be right now.

Entire PC is on goduke.com, always worth watching Cut.

Wait, now I'm confused:confused:. I thought Sirk was a redshirt last year and was expected to compete for snaps this year until he had the Achilles injury in the spring.

OldPhiKap
12-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Wait, now I'm confused:confused:. I thought Sirk was a redshirt last year and was expected to compete for snaps this year until he had the Achilles injury in the spring.

Maybe I had it wrong, but perhaps they are hoping he can get a hardship.

Maybe the question was about Boehme and I did not hear the question clearly (will defer to JimS. who I assume was there)

Bob Green
12-18-2013, 08:07 PM

That statement is confusing seeing as Sirk voluntarily redshirted last year. Perhaps Coach Cutcliffe believes Sirk could be granted a 6th year, which typically only happens when a player misses two seasons due to injury. Interesting!

OldPhiKap
12-18-2013, 08:09 PM
That statement is confusing seeing as Sirk voluntarily redshirted last year. Perhaps Coach Cutcliffe believes Sirk could be granted a 6th year, which typically only happens when a player misses two seasons due to injury. Interesting!

Like I said to did while you were typing this, perhaps I heard the question incorrectly. Perhaps they were asking about Boehme. May need to rewatch it.

Bob Green
12-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Perhaps they were asking about Boehme.

That makes more sense. Waiting on Jim Sumner to square us away.

devildeac
12-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Received a large UPS envelope from the North Pole, err, Duke ticket office today. Wonder what the contents might be...

Reilly
12-18-2013, 10:04 PM
That makes more sense. Waiting on Jim Sumner to square us away.

the q was about sirk ... cut talking about maybe getting another year w/ him .... cut said he wouldn't play sirk

OldPhiKap
12-18-2013, 10:07 PM
the q was about sirk ... cut talking about maybe getting another year w/ him .... cut said he wouldn't play sirk

Okay, them maybe my memory was better than I thought.

Reilly
12-18-2013, 10:11 PM
http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/39562/connettes-bowl-status-uncertain-after-his-mothers-emergency-surgery/

"In his absence, true freshman Parker Boehme, who is being redshirted, and redshirt freshman Thomas Sirk, who has been sidelined all season while recovering from an Achilles tendon injury, are taking reps at practice as Boone’s backups.

Cutcliffe was adamant, however, in saying that Sirk is not an option in case of emergency should Connette not be available.

“I’m not going to play Thomas Sirk in the last ballgame,” he said, “because I think it’s probably obvious at this point that he may be eligible to apply for an extra year and I wouldn’t risk that circumstance, even with Brandon Connette’s status uncertain.”"

budwom
12-19-2013, 09:52 AM
I have no idea how Boehme has been playing...but IF he's doing well, he could always play in the game and then redshirt next year when he
will almost certainly be behind Boone, Connette and Sirk (and hence unlikely to play much even if he weren't redshirting).

devildeac
12-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Just found this article related to our earlier discussion about how we were selected for this bowl:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53816476/ns/local_news-raleigh_nc/

OldPhiKap
12-19-2013, 05:35 PM
UPS just brought my tickets. Getting pumped!

nyesq83
12-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Duncan's suspension is not the kind of news I was looking for in advance of Christmas.
Two adverse developments so far. I hope that everyone else remains healthy and available.

budwom
12-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Just found this article related to our earlier discussion about how we were selected for this bowl:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53816476/ns/local_news-raleigh_nc/

Yeah, this story has been out there and may be 100% accurate. However I'd still love to know what
Laura Keeley was referring to when she tweeted about heavy political involvement....she may have been wrong but
I'm sure she didn't completely fabricate what she tweeted.

Papa John
12-22-2013, 09:16 AM
I have no idea how Boehme has been playing...but IF he's doing well, he could always play in the game and then redshirt next year when he
will almost certainly be behind Boone, Connette and Sirk (and hence unlikely to play much even if he weren't redshirting).

Duke is new to the whole bowl prep picture, but Cut ain't. Other top programs often use the extra practice time to get some reps for their younger guys in addition to implementing any strategic tweaks for the upcoming bowl game, (particularly if you have a bunch of starters who are better served by using the time to rest and heal). I suspect this is what Cut is doing (which, again, is indicative of why he is so good... He's been through plenty of these before and knows that they serve the dual benefit of allowing you to prepare for your opponent as well as season your younger guys prior to spring ball... It's a program-building mentality)

OldPhiKap
12-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Duke is new to the whole bowl prep picture, but Cut ain't. Other top programs often use the extra practice time to get some reps for their younger guys in addition to implementing any strategic tweaks for the upcoming bowl game, (particularly if you have a bunch of starters who are better served by using the time to rest and heal). I suspect this is what Cut is doing (which, again, is indicative of why he is so good... He's been through plenty of these before and knows that they serve the dual benefit of allowing you to prepare for your opponent as well as season your younger guys prior to spring ball... It's a program-building mentality)

I seem to recall Cut saying that if a player was on four bowl teams, he got abot six extra weeks of practice. Cut thought that was significant.

uh_no
12-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I seem to recall Cut saying that if a player was on four bowl teams, he got abot six extra weeks of practice. Cut thought that was significant.

are you sure it's not 16 weeks? it's about a month per bowl.

OldPhiKap
12-22-2013, 01:33 PM
are you sure it's not 16 weeks? it's about a month per bowl.

Cloud be, but I don't think you can practice the whole time between exams and NCAA regs. But will defer to those who know better.

Reilly
12-22-2013, 08:25 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/22/texas-am-freshman-linebacker-darian-claiborne-arrested-drug-charges/4169791/

OldPhiKap
12-22-2013, 08:42 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/22/texas-am-freshman-linebacker-darian-claiborne-arrested-drug-charges/4169791/

Wonder if he will play. One may not lead to the other.

Reilly
12-22-2013, 09:46 PM
not traveling to atl

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/aggies/2013/12/aggies-standout-lb-claiborne-arrested-on-2-drug-possession-charges/

devildeac
12-22-2013, 10:04 PM

Wonder if he will play. One may not lead to the other.

not traveling to atl

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/aggies/2013/12/aggies-standout-lb-claiborne-arrested-on-2-drug-possession-charges/

Wonder if he knows Fats...

:rolleyes:

Reilly
12-25-2013, 09:56 PM
h-s reporter

Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC 10h
Here's good Christmas news. Brandon Connette to rejoin Duke fb in ATL. His mother, Nancy, has stabilized after harrowing brain operation.

OldPhiKap
12-25-2013, 10:20 PM
h-s reporter

Here's good Christmas news. Brandon Connette to rejoin Duke fb in ATL. His mother, Nancy, has stabilized after harrowing brain operation.

That would be great Christmas news for the Connette family, for Brandon, and his family away from home!

Reilly
12-26-2013, 09:14 PM
worth watching ... cut looks locked in ...

OldPhiKap
12-26-2013, 09:52 PM
worth watching ... cut looks locked in ...

Thanks for letting us know that this was up; the Dave Harding interview is good as well.

Cut just exudes confidence and competence. Love to hear him speak.

This would be a huge win if we can pull this off. Go Duke!

Reilly
12-26-2013, 10:52 PM
... the Dave Harding interview is good as well....

When I grow up, I hope I'm as mature as Dave Harding is ...

El_Diablo
12-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Texas A&M's special Chick-fil-A-themed uniforms:

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/12/26/5242004/a-m-unveils-special-uniforms-for-chick-fil-a-bowl

brevity
12-27-2013, 12:34 AM
Texas A&M's special Chick-fil-A-themed uniforms:

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/12/26/5242004/a-m-unveils-special-uniforms-for-chick-fil-a-bowl

I want to commend the designer of these jerseys for taking the CFA cross-promotion to the next level. The gloves alone!

I promise not to wear it until long after the game, but I've already ordered a Johnny Manziel cowprint jersey. (The NCAA store offers a 20% discount and free shipping if you use the coupon code JAYBILAS20.)

CameronBornAndBred
12-27-2013, 09:44 AM
h-s reporter

From a blurb at the end of an article about Roper going to Florida...

Connette has decided to play in the bowl game after spending the last week in California at his mother's bedside following emergency brain surgery. Boone ended up packing up Connette's belongings and bringing them with him to Atlanta just in case Connette decided to rejoin his teammates.
With running back Jela Duncan (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/530480/jela-duncan) serving an academic suspension, Cutcliffe said Shaquille Powell (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/530483/shaquille-powell) will start the bowl game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/65226/oc-roper-will-leave-duke-after-bowl-game

Reilly
12-27-2013, 08:26 PM
interesting to see which players are picked for the various activities ...

http://www.chick-fil-abowl.com/EVENTS/BowlWeekEvents/BattleForBowlWeek.aspx

House G
12-28-2013, 08:24 PM
This is second hand but my best friend (who is an A&M alum) is telling me that Johnny Football hurt his hand again in practice and is in a cast and "will not be 100%" for the game. I'm not sure if this is being reported or not and I apologize for rumor-mongering.

hustleplays
12-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Well, it will be fun to beat the Aggies. My fiancee and I were on a flight to Austin, TX, and we noticed that the flight attendant was wearing an A&M bracelet. I asked her, "How about a free drink since we were from Duke?" She replied with indignation, "It's so embarrassing, It's just so embarrassing to be playing Duke!"

Go get em guys!

hudlow
12-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Well, it will be fun to beat the Aggies. My fiancee and I were on a flight to Austin, TX, and we noticed that the flight attendant was wearing an A&M bracelet. I asked her, "How about a free drink since we were from Duke?" She replied with indignation, "It's so embarrassing, It's just so embarrassing to be playing Duke!"

Go get em guys!

After A&M loses they'll say Duke has a really good team....

CameronBornAndBred
12-29-2013, 11:07 AM
This is second hand but my best friend (who is an A&M alum) is telling me that Johnny Football hurt his hand again in practice and is in a cast and "will not be 100%" for the game. I'm not sure if this is being reported or not and I apologize for rumor-mongering.

Maybe that's why he can't make a layup. (P.S. the game was yesterday and he wasn't in a cast while missing his layup.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-MncZCvAFg#t=17

A-Tex Devil
12-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Checking in. Having two Aggie best friends, I've unfortunately had to watch a lot of A&M this year and last. Johnny Football is frustratingly amazing. He's the Tyler Hansbrough of college football in that he doesn't look the part, and constantly makes plays that you don't think can be made with guys hanging all over him. But he's the real deal (obvious statement of year) and, frankly, a lot of fun to watch.

A&M also has a lot of very good skill players at RB and WR. In fact, the dirty little secret is that the key to slowing down the Aggies is to take Mike Evans out of the game. Easier said than done, and 'Bama failed miserably at it, so I am fearful of our ability to do it. But in A&M's other 3 losses, Manziel had a hard time getting the ball to Evans. All of A&Ms RBs are good to very good.

Our best chance to win, I think, is to follow the Stanford against Oregon model, which means a lot of sustained, long, and most importantly, successful drives against a bad and depleted Aggie defense. That's low +EV offense though, so secondarily, we need to avoid short drives, even if we end up punting. I think Duke is going to have to put >40 on the board, which is certainly doable. But it will require stopping Aggie a few times, a few big plays, and as few 3 and outs as possible.

BlueDevilBrowns
12-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Johnny Football is frustratingly amazing. He's the Tyler Hansbrough of college football

While I agree they both display creative footwork in traffic, I had no idea Johnny was also fluent in Swahili.

Newton_14
12-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Checking in. Having two Aggie best friends, I've unfortunately had to watch a lot of A&M this year and last. Johnny Football is frustratingly amazing. He's the Tyler Hansbrough of college football in that he doesn't look the part, and constantly makes plays that you don't think can be made with guys hanging all over him. But he's the real deal (obvious statement of year) and, frankly, a lot of fun to watch.

A&M also has a lot of very good skill players at RB and WR. In fact, the dirty little secret is that the key to slowing down the Aggies is to take Mike Evans out of the game. Easier said than done, and 'Bama failed miserably at it, so I am fearful of our ability to do it. But in A&M's other 3 losses, Manziel had a hard time getting the ball to Evans. All of A&Ms RBs are good to very good.

Our best chance to win, I think, is to follow the Stanford against Oregon model, which means a lot of sustained, long, and most importantly, successful drives against a bad and depleted Aggie defense. That's low +EV offense though, so secondarily, we need to avoid short drives, even if we end up punting. I think Duke is going to have to put >40 on the board, which is certainly doable. But it will require stopping Aggie a few times, a few big plays, and as few 3 and outs as possible.

Thanks for the insight A-Tex. Call me crazy but I feel there are several things going for Duke in this game. 1. Duke is actually more talented than National Folks realize, and more importantly, they believe they can win. 2. A&M is going to take Duke lightly. They just are. Add in the whole "it's embarassing to be playing Duke" nonsense, and it lends itself to be similar to the Utah?/Bama Bowl game a few years back. Bama came out flat and very uninspired and got their butts handed to them. Same thing could happen in this game.

Still a tall task for Duke, but the Aggies defense is nowhere near the level of FSU. If Duke comes out hitting on all cylinders, they will score in bunches on A&M. Totally agree we need 40+ to win, but it is very doable. Duke can absolutely win this game. Just have to not turn it over, have long sustained drives, and come out hitting on defense like they did against FSU, while also not missing on the scoring opportunities like in the FSU game.

Bottom line the game is winnable.. Won't be easy, but can be done.

A-Tex Devil
12-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the insight A-Tex. Call me crazy but I feel there are several things going for Duke in this game. 1. Duke is actually more talented than National Folks realize, and more importantly, they believe they can win. 2. A&M is going to take Duke lightly. They just are. Add in the whole "it's embarassing to be playing Duke" nonsense, and it lends itself to be similar to the Utah?/Bama Bowl game a few years back. Bama came out flat and very uninspired and got their butts handed to them. Same thing could happen in this game.

Still a tall task for Duke, but the Aggies defense is nowhere near the level of FSU. If Duke comes out hitting on all cylinders, they will score in bunches on A&M. Totally agree we need 40+ to win, but it is very doable. Duke can absolutely win this game. Just have to not turn it over, have long sustained drives, and come out hitting on defense like they did against FSU, while also not missing on the scoring opportunities like in the FSU game.

Bottom line the game is winnable.. Won't be easy, but can be done.

I definitely believe we can win. I hope that our defensive gameplan will be to do what we can to prevent Mike Evans from getting the ball, and having our DEs contain Johnny. Again, easier said than done considering A&M's o-line and other skill players. Our offensive gameplan should be long drives, no turnovers, and converting in the red zone. I agree with the bowl game mindset playing a big role here. A&M fans see this game as a nice trip to Atlanta, but are disappointed in the matchup (as referenced above). Not sure if players and coaches share mentality, but who knows? But you can point to many games in the past where teams have been disappointed in bowl situation/opponent and ultimately lost:

1. Utah over 'Bama
2. Louisville over Florida
3. West Virginia over OU, Georgia
4. Boise over OU... and
5. The one I think we should pay particular attention too: 1998 Alamo Bowl, where Purdue led by Freshman Drew Brees upset a heavily favored K-State team that felt it had been shafted (and it had) by not getting a better bowl invite.

I could see A&M and Sumlin coming out *VERY* aggressive so the Aggies can start their "SEC, SEC" chants early. (I mean, what else are you gonna chant when you've traded middle of the pack in one conference for middle of the pack in another :p).

A quick perusal of the Texags message board (no link to it, because I don't wish anyone go there -- it makes insidecarolina look erudite) has surprisingly little chatter about the game -- mostly threads about Johnny Football leaving, how bad Texas will get beat by Oregon, and the Texas coaching search. There are a couple "if we get beat by Duke" threads and "ATL meet up" threads, but most Aggie fans are looking at this game as a rubber stamp/exclamation point against overmatched opponent to end Johnny Manziel's illustrious career.

FerryFor50
12-30-2013, 12:31 PM
While I agree they both display creative footwork in traffic, I had no idea Johnny was also fluent in Swahili.

The worst part of this is that there is even less of a chance Manziel will be called for traveling in this game than Hansbrough.

Gewebe14
12-30-2013, 03:05 PM
The worst part of this is that there is even less of a chance Manziel will be called for traveling in this game than Hansbrough.

I'd say the odds are strikingly similar.

Bob Green
12-30-2013, 03:11 PM
But you can point to many games in the past where teams have been disappointed in bowl situation/opponent and ultimately lost:

Washington defeated Nebraska 19-7 in the Holiday Bowl on December 30, 2010. Earlier in the season, on September 18, 2010, Nebraska routed Washington 56-21. The Cornhuskers were not excited with the rematch and played like it.

jv001
12-31-2013, 07:51 AM
I'm hoping Johnny M. plays it safe and doesn't scramble much against our defense. I look for Mr. Cash to put a hard hit on him early in the game. Sort of get his attention and remind him he has a lot of $$$$$$$ riding on staying healthy. GoDuke!

Bob Green
12-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Just to get the ridiculousness started, and because it is 0900 on a workday that I don't have to go to work so I have to entertain myself somehow: Duke 45, Texas A&M 31.

Mike Corey
12-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Duke 46
Texas A&M 45

OldPhiKap
12-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Duke 75
A&M 72

(4 OT)

CameronBornAndBred
12-31-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm with those that see us scoring in the 40's, I see our D holding them to low 30's.

Reilly
12-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Go Duke. Finish.

peloton
12-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Amen, brother CB&B. I think our defense is going to be the difference here. I hope that Kenny (or Jeremy) and Johnny Football become "close friends" over the course of the game. I'm so ready for this game. Let's go Duke...gig those Aggies!

killerleft
12-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Go Duke!!!! It is indeed a fine time to finish off a super season with a win. Duke 45-31, we're bending but not breaking for ya, Johnny Boy.

-jk
12-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Duke. Peach Bowl. It's on!

DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) (beta) is open. Let's go Duke!

-jk

mph
12-31-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm loving the open-field tackling tonight! Go devils!

NYBri
12-31-2013, 09:00 PM
I just want a pick 6 against this jerk.

CLW
12-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Football School. :cool:

h8lightblue
12-31-2013, 09:12 PM
the look on Johnny Manzeil's face when duke scores is priceless

miramar
12-31-2013, 09:17 PM
the look on Johnny Manzeil's face when duke scores is priceless

Does that mean that you don't have a man crush on ol' Johnny like all of the announcers? For the last hour I have been hearing that he has never been this up for a game, that he is on a an absolute roll, that he has played even better this year than last, you name it. I think it's time to turn down the sound when A & M has the ball.

h8lightblue
12-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Does that mean that you don't have a man crush on ol' Johnny like all of the announcers? For the last hour I have been hearing that he has never been this up for a game, that he is on a an absolute roll, that he has played even better this year than last, you name it. I think it's time to turn down the sound when A & M has the ball.

No, I don't have a crush on Johnny and yes I am sick of all the Johnny Football hype.

jwillfan
12-31-2013, 09:35 PM
College fb has a challenge?

Ggallagher
12-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Love that call by the announcer - Crowder "decleated" the defender.
Nice block

pfrduke
12-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Hey this football team is pretty good, huh?

Karl Beem
12-31-2013, 09:48 PM
When Cut walks down a hall, there's this clinking sound...

bbosbbos
12-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Go Duke! Lets run run run.

Marc81
12-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Hey this football team is pretty good, huh?

I don't think we could have imagined a better first half!

JNort
Not understanding the hate in here against Johnny. Saying he's a "jerk".... Grow up.

Loving the offense and play calling all around. We keep this up and people will take us seriously going into next year

moonpie23
MUST PUT 2 HALVES TOGETHER!!!!!……..can't let this be johnny's "unbelievable comeback"……

I'm totally shocked that Cut didn't punch in the last TD……I didn't like that call…

GO DUKE!!

Bob Green
An absolutely awesome 1st half performance by Duke! Let's go! Thirty more minutes of hard nose football to go!

pfrduke
12-31-2013, 09:53 PM
That onside kick call was really fantastic. The only thing that stopped Duke in the first half was the clock (and even then only by a half a yard).

pfrduke
12-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Not understanding the hate in here against Johnny. Saying he's a "jerk".... Grow up.

It's pretty well documented that Johnny F***** Football is, shall we say, not the greatest human being. Saying he's a jerk is like saying Hansbrough gets away with a few extra steps. I'd give us some leeway on this.

Native
12-31-2013, 09:55 PM
People here at the Dome are going ballistic! One more half!

DukeBlueHeart4
12-31-2013, 09:56 PM
It's pretty well documented that Johnny F***** Football is, shall we say, not the greatest human being. Saying he's a jerk is like saying Hansbrough gets away with a few extra steps. I'd give us some leeway on this.

Apparently Johnny's sister disagrees...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/johnny-manziels-sister-is-about-to-lose-it-on-a-duke-fan/

ice-9
12-31-2013, 09:56 PM
MUST PUT 2 HALVES TOGETHER!!!!!……..can't let this be johnny's "unbelievable comeback"……

I'm totally shocked that Cut didn't punch in the last TD……I didn't like that call…

GO DUKE!!

I liked the call...the sure thing field goal gives us a 3 touchdown lead (to tie). Even if we had punched it in for a TD, we'd still only be 3 TDs ahead.

JNort
12-31-2013, 09:57 PM

I watch a lot of College ball and have not seen anything to say he is anything but an average college kid who plays a sport.

Ggallagher
12-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Nice comment from the TV announcer pointing out that Duke's football team outscored the basketball team in the first half.
Hope they outscore them in the second half too. :)

YmoBeThere
12-31-2013, 10:02 PM

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/johnny-manziels-sister-is-about-to-lose-it-on-a-duke-fan/

Not sure your point here, his sister wants to assault a fan she disagrees with. How is that a disagreement with the prior comments?

DukeBlueHeart4
12-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Not sure your point here, his sister wants to assault a fan she disagrees with. How is that a disagreement with the prior comments?

She would clearly disagree that we deserve some leeway in disparaging Johnny.

A-Tex Devil
12-31-2013, 10:04 PM
I watch a lot of College ball and have not seen anything to say he is anything but an average college kid who plays a sport.

Ummmmmm.... I'd give you a laundry list but just google it. He's just a college kid from a rich family, yes. But he's hardly average and he's caused most of his own notoriety. Still, he's a lot of fun to watch. I hope Cut and Company continue to deprive me of that.

JNort
12-31-2013, 10:05 PM
I liked the call...the sure thing field goal gives us a 3 touchdown lead (to tie). Even if we had punched it in for a TD, we'd still only be 3 TDs ahead.

I am greedy and wanna see the extra points!!! Wish we woulda called the timeout with 11 second to go and tried a pass into the endzone

pamtar
12-31-2013, 10:12 PM
You can't stop the D-TRAIN!!!! LGD!!!!!!

Gthoma2a
12-31-2013, 10:15 PM
Ummmmmm.... I'd give you a laundry list but just google it. He's just a college kid from a rich family, yes. But he's hardly average and he's caused most of his own notoriety. Still, he's a lot of fun to watch. I hope Cut and Company continue to deprive me of that.

This is the right attitude. They aren't a rival and, unless he gets better, he isn't going to be the instant success he thinks he'll be at the next level. That makes me think that he's going to be humbled really soon. Let's just play the game without making the thread about insulting a player. We don't have to hate him to beat him.

duke96
12-31-2013, 10:15 PM

Classy family

Kfanarmy
12-31-2013, 10:17 PM

Perhaps she's sitting near someone who feels the need to denigrate the opposition, rather than simply enjoy the incredible performance of the Duke team. Apparently that isn't the only fan who has to turn a positive experience into a negative one for someone else.

A-Tex Devil
12-31-2013, 10:17 PM
By the way, Cockrell may have made himself some money in the first half. Taking Evans out of game is key and it also seems he got in Evans' head a bit.

A-Tex Devil
12-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Soooooooo....... If you haven't really watched Johnny Manziel before, he does that ALL THE TIME!!!

arnie
12-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Nice comment from the TV announcer pointing out that Duke's football team outscored the basketball team in the first half.
Hope they outscore them in the second half too. :)

Gonna take a hurculean effort to win now. No more FG attempts needed.

DBFAN
12-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Strange offensive play calling has led them to this situation. SMH

g-money
12-31-2013, 11:01 PM

Example A would be the way he just pulled Duke's safety into the barricade. Dirty play.

pfrduke
12-31-2013, 11:17 PM
What an amazing tightrope walk. Fantastic drive, and fantastic touchdown. Two possession game.

g-money
12-31-2013, 11:20 PM
We've gotta get Reeves the ball more next year. That was one helluva play.

Let's go Duke!

mph
12-31-2013, 11:20 PM
That was the drive of the season. We'll see if we hold on to win but that drive was game winning quality. Outstanding!

dukelifer
12-31-2013, 11:25 PM
That was the drive of the season. We'll see if we hold on to win but that drive was game winning quality. Outstanding!

Need another

bbq-devil
12-31-2013, 11:26 PM
One more drive for the season

g-money
12-31-2013, 11:26 PM
We can't let Manzeil get the ball back down 7 or less. Do we have one more drive left? Come on Boone!!!

DukieInKansas
12-31-2013, 11:41 PM
This is making me pace.

CDu
12-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Well that sucked

rsvman
12-31-2013, 11:45 PM
You just gotta go down with that ball in your hands on that play.

kaufmjo
12-31-2013, 11:45 PM
So close for first bowl win. Duke defense killed us in second half. So disappointing

DukieInKansas
12-31-2013, 11:46 PM
Thank you, Blue Devils, for a great season! I'm so proud to be a Duke fan!

mph
12-31-2013, 11:47 PM
That was hurtful.

Anthony Boone played a great game. I hate how it ended for him, but I'm proud of the way he and the rest of our guys played.