PDA

View Full Version : Craig Bohl to Wyoming

Olympic Fan
12-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Just saw a notice that Craig Bohl is stepping down at North Dakota State to take the head job at Wyoming. Bohl has won two FCS national titles and is in the playoffs this year, looking for a third:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10102186/craig-bohl-else-coach-north-dakota-state-bison

This is significant to us because Bohl was Fred Goldsmith's defensive coordinator in 1994, when Duke won eight games and went to a bowl. He left the next year to join the staff at his alma mater Nebraska. Losing Bohl and offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger (who left to take a job in the NFL, later becoming an offensive coordinator in the pros), was the big reason Goldsmith program collapsed after such a great start in '94.

budwom
12-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Just saw a notice that Craig Bohl is stepping down at North Dakota State to take the head job at Wyoming. Bohl has won two FCS national titles and is in the playoffs this year, looking for a third:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10102186/craig-bohl-else-coach-north-dakota-state-bison

This is significant to us because Bohl was Fred Goldsmith's defensive coordinator in 1994, when Duke won eight games and went to a bowl. He left the next year to join the staff at his alma mater Nebraska. Losing Bohl and offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger (who left to take a job in the NFL, later becoming an offensive coordinator in the pros), was the big reason Goldsmith program collapsed after such a great start in '94.

I'm only surprised he wasn't hired by a bigger school sooner. The man can coach.

NashvilleDevil
12-08-2013, 09:30 PM
When Pelini is eventually canned after another season filled with the same problems that have plagued his teams since he arrived in Lincoln, I'm sure Bohl will be the first call the AD makes.

throatybeard
12-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Rest in Peace, Mike Heimerdinger.

(Cancer, type never reported as far as I could tell, other than "rare").

TexHawk
12-09-2013, 12:25 PM
When Pelini is eventually canned after another season filled with the same problems that have plagued his teams since he arrived in Lincoln, I'm sure Bohl will be the first call the AD makes.

I would actually be surprised if they did. Bohl oversaw the Husker D that famously gave up 63 points to Colorado, then was pummeled by Miami in the title game. He followed that with a 7-7 team that gave up 50+ to Kansas State in the last game of the year.

Most Nebraska fans didn't care when he left, and some actively pushed him away.

NashvilleDevil
12-09-2013, 01:17 PM
I would actually be surprised if they did. Bohl oversaw the Husker D that famously gave up 63 points to Colorado, then was pummeled by Miami in the title game. He followed that with a 7-7 team that gave up 50+ to Kansas State in the last game of the year.

Most Nebraska fans didn't care when he left, and some actively pushed him away.

They did not care in 2002 but after the audio leaked from the 2011 Ohio St game and Bo's defenses giving up as many points as they do, Bohl and Scott Frost are names that Husker fans put at the top of the their list.

TexHawk
12-09-2013, 02:35 PM
They did not care in 2002 but after the audio leaked from the 2011 Ohio St game and Bo's defenses giving up as many points as they do, Bohl and Scott Frost are names that Husker fans put at the top of the their list.

That may be true for some Huskers, but not the majority. Just because a few message board posters want it, doesn't make it true. Walk around Lincoln and drop Bohl's name. There will be more than a few shrugs. If they are forced to look at him, it's only because their top 5-6 options said no. Bohl has hard feelings the other way too, so even if they do call, he may not pick up the phone.

Ignoring all of that for now, in a best case scenario, Bohl turns Wyoming around in what, 2-3 years? He will be 58 or 59 by that point, so he's hardly a BCS program-changing savior at that age. Maybe Nebraska jumps early in a year or so if Bo gets canned, but Bohl is hardly a proven candidate, and they would have to look for a replacement earlier than they would like given his age.

Scott Frost is on the complete other side of the spectrum. And he has a weird relationship with Lincoln anyway. He did win a title, but since he was a transfer, many fans don't hold him in the same universe as Tommie Frazier. He was a grad assistant at Nebraska for a few years, then jumped to rival Kansas State, which many won't forgive, even if it wasn't his decision to make. He has only been an offensive coordinator for 4 months. He could absolutely be a candidate after he takes a lower level D1 head job, but he may not even be a candidate for that yet. Let's see him try to run an offense without Chip Kelly's players first.

throatybeard
12-14-2013, 12:49 PM
NDSU is pounding Coastal. 17-0 in the 1Q.

NashvilleDevil
12-14-2013, 01:41 PM
That may be true for some Huskers, but not the majority. Just because a few message board posters want it, doesn't make it true. Walk around Lincoln and drop Bohl's name. There will be more than a few shrugs. If they are forced to look at him, it's only because their top 5-6 options said no. Bohl has hard feelings the other way too, so even if they do call, he may not pick up the phone.

Ignoring all of that for now, in a best case scenario, Bohl turns Wyoming around in what, 2-3 years? He will be 58 or 59 by that point, so he's hardly a BCS program-changing savior at that age. Maybe Nebraska jumps early in a year or so if Bo gets canned, but Bohl is hardly a proven candidate, and they would have to look for a replacement earlier than they would like given his age.

Scott Frost is on the complete other side of the spectrum. And he has a weird relationship with Lincoln anyway. He did win a title, but since he was a transfer, many fans don't hold him in the same universe as Tommie Frazier. He was a grad assistant at Nebraska for a few years, then jumped to rival Kansas State, which many won't forgive, even if it wasn't his decision to make. He has only been an offensive coordinator for 4 months. He could absolutely be a candidate after he takes a lower level D1 head job, but he may not even be a candidate for that yet. Let's see him try to run an offense without Chip Kelly's players first.

I remember being at the game against Central Florida in 97 when they booed Frost after the first half. I also rarely read the Nebraska boards. I talk to friends I went to school with and still live in Lincoln and they've mentioned that if Pelini is fired or leaves that Bohl and Frost are two of the first calls. Personally I would like for them to make a Godfather offer to Charlie Strong, I know he's in his 50s but he's done a good job at Louisville. I'd rather not hire another coordinator.