PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storm Watch Posted for Triad Region of NC 12/8

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-06-2013, 05:21 PM
For those of you who are driving to and from Charlotte over the weekend, please be advised that a Winter Storm Watch is posted for counties along the I-40 and I-85 corridor for Sunday.

http://www.wxii12.com/weather/alerts

budwom
12-06-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm sure the state of NC will drop copious amount of bread and milk along the roadway.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-06-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm sure the state of NC will drop copious amount of bread and milk along the roadway.
Is that what you do for ice storms in Vermont?;)

Tripping William
12-06-2013, 06:29 PM
And eggs. Here in the Triad, we make French toast when snow/ice are threatened.

DU82
12-06-2013, 07:02 PM
I presume that the winter weather will continue to Orange County, as we all know (Chapel) Hell will freeze over late Saturday night.

Olympic Fan
12-06-2013, 07:19 PM
I've been watching this closely since I intend to drive back to Durham after the game.

According to weather.com's hourly projections, the route back shouldn't start to see ice and freezing rain until about 4 a.m. Sunday morning. But the winter weather advisory does suggest it could start Saturday night.

Not sure what to do.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-06-2013, 08:03 PM
I've been watching this closely since I intend to drive back to Durham after the game.

According to weather.com's hourly projections, the route back shouldn't start to see ice and freezing rain until about 4 a.m. Sunday morning. But the winter weather advisory does suggest it could start Saturday night.

Not sure what to do.

Consider returning on a more southern route through Misenheimer, Asheboro, Siler City, etc.

-jk
12-06-2013, 08:35 PM
I suspect the interstates will be in good shape - if they get pretreated.

It's that last mile that gets squirrelly.

(I spend a lot of time playing in winter weather getting to and from games from DC. The interstates are almost never the problem.)

-jk

FerryFor50
12-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Already bought all the bread and milk. Sorry NC! Milk toast all for me!!

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-06-2013, 08:39 PM
As warm as it was here today, it will probably make it tougher for the nasty stuff to stick when it hits a relatively warm ground.

throatybeard
12-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Charlotte isn't in the Triad.

duketaylor
12-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Olympic, as I look at the hourly forecast I think you should have little/no worries about attending. Forecast doesn't show any temps cold enough to freeze the roadways from Charlotte to Derm over the weekend. Here in Richmond the temp is expected to get to 30, but the ground/roads are so warm it'd take several hours of cold to get them to freezing. Not likely to happen. Authorities will always project the worst to cover any possible unforeseen changes. I think "All is Well!" Wasn't that Kevin Bacon in final scene of "Animal House";)

DU82
12-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I suspect the interstates will be in good shape - if they get pretreated.

It's that last mile that gets squirrelly.

(I spend a lot of time playing in winter weather getting to and from games from DC. The interstates are almost never the problem.)

-jk

Can't pre-treat due to the rain that's going to come first. It would wash away the brine.

The roads are probably warm enough so that we'll all be able to get back to Durham Saturday night/Sunday morning, before things get too bad.

throatybeard
12-06-2013, 10:09 PM
The worst part of this is that all these people in North Carolina will die from psychosomatic hypothermia because it's under 75 degrees.

davekay1971
12-06-2013, 10:22 PM
The worst part of this is that all these people in North Carolina will die from psychosomatic hypothermia because it's under 75 degrees.

Screw that noise. The Kay family is evacuating to Disney World. By the time we get back, the Winterpocalypse will have been cancelled...I hope.

throatybeard
12-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Screw that noise. The Kay family is evacuating to Disney World. By the time we get back, the Winterpocalypse will have been cancelled...I hope.

I find Disney World a tragic, unintentional indictment of our culture. But don't listen to me. (No one does). James Howard Kunstler has my proxy in his 1993 book.

wilson
12-06-2013, 11:13 PM
I find Disney World a tragic, unintentional indictment of our culture. But don't listen to me. (No one does). James Howard Kunstler has my proxy in his 1993 book.If loving Disney World is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Olympic Fan
12-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Charlotte isn't in the Triad.

But on the interstate route from Charlotte to Durham, you have to pass through the Triad ...

throatybeard
12-07-2013, 01:08 AM
But on the interstate route from Charlotte to Durham, you have to pass through the Triad ...

I guess you'd clip it from its Southeastern edge.

The prolonged suffering of people who endure North Carolina winters. It's gruesome. They're like Job. If Job spent 10% of his time walking around in a windbreaker, other than that one really bad ice storm in 2002, which was .0001% of his time.

Reilly
12-07-2013, 02:47 AM
Never been to Disney, and doubt I'd like it, but wouldn't mind the Orlando bowl if we don't make Miami or Atlanta.

I do like French Toast. Cinnamon is a real key. Enough might help a tire gain traction. When the kids were very little, they'd go to town shaking the cinnamon into the batter. One day, my son got a little too vigorous w/ the shaking.

Me: "Whoa, whoa, whoa."
Him: "But you always said there's no such thing as too much cinnamon."
Sister (w/out missing a beat): "Yeah, but there is such a thing as enough."
Me (after a pause): "That's pretty funny. How'd you think of that?"
Sister: "You've said that before, too."

Not sure exactly why, but somehow it's my proudest parenting moment.

Anyway, the party's raging all night in Charlotte after we win a championship, so no need for anybody to leave early and drive in a drizzle.

Indoor66
12-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Never been to Disney, and doubt I'd like it, but wouldn't mind the Orlando bowl if we don't make Miami or Atlanta.

I do like French Toast. Cinnamon is a real key. Enough might help a tire gain traction. When the kids were very little, they'd go to town shaking the cinnamon into the batter. One day, my son got a little too vigorous w/ the shaking.

Me: "Whoa, whoa, whoa."
Him: "But you always said there's no such thing as too much cinnamon."
Sister (w/out missing a beat): "Yeah, but there is such a thing as enough."
Me (after a pause): "That's pretty funny. How'd you think of that?"
Sister: "You've said that before, too."

Not sure exactly why, but somehow it's my proudest parenting moment.

Anyway, the party's raging all night in Charlotte after we win a championship, so no need for anybody to leave early and drive in a drizzle.

Anyone remember the January, 1980 Duke-Davidson basketball game in Charlotte when it snowed? Charlotte got about 15"-18", if I remember correctly. I stayed with friends and never even tried to get to the old Coliseum on Independence. Just watched on TV.

budwom
12-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Is that what you do for ice storms in Vermont?;)

The best way to deal with an ice storm is to hunker down and not get on the road, period. Up here we do have a lot more
winter equipment (state and local highway trucks) to deal with things, but if there's pervasive ice/freezing rain, just don't go out.
Stay home or find a motel ASAP and wait it out.

jimsumner
12-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Anyone remember the January, 1980 Duke-Davidson basketball game in Charlotte when it snowed? Charlotte got about 15"-18", if I remember correctly. I stayed with friends and never even tried to get to the old Coliseum on Independence. Just watched on TV.

Duke didn't play Davidson in 1980.

Duke did play Davidson at Charlotte on 1-2-79. I don't remember that one. But I do remember a game against Louisville the following month where it snowed in copious amounts and the Charlotte Coliseum was quite empty.

I'm not especially worried about this system. If it gets bad, I've used the southern route from Charlotte to Raleigh in the past, with no problems.

As an aside, I really appreciate the gibes from people who don't have enough sense to get out of Vermont. :)

As an aside 2, the Duke fan base filled the Belk Bowl last year on a night when the wind chill had to have been in the 20s.

Indoor66
12-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Duke didn't play Davidson in 1980.

Duke did play Davidson at Charlotte on 1-2-79. I don't remember that one. But I do remember a game against Louisville the following month where it snowed in copious amounts and the Charlotte Coliseum was quite empty.

I'm not especially worried about this system. If it gets bad, I've used the southern route from Charlotte to Raleigh in the past, with no problems.

As an aside, I really appreciate the gibes from people who don't have enough sense to get out of Vermont. :)

As an aside 2, the Duke fan base filled the Belk Bowl last year on a night when the wind chill had to have been in the 20s.

Damn memory is going straight down hill! I do remember the snow, though. :cool:

hudlow
12-07-2013, 01:35 PM
I remember a snowy, spur of the moment trip to Greensboro in 1980 to see a thriller when Duke beat The Terps for the ACC title...The ride back to WNC in a VW Beetle was even more memorable.

Kimist
12-07-2013, 02:07 PM

Actually I do . . .perhaps !!:confused:

Except I thought the REAL snow event, in Charlotte, was a game in the early 80's or so versus Louisville?

I had relatives in the Gastonia area, so we worked out a deal where one of the group stayed at home and that ticket went to a Duke fan....who just happened to own a four-wheel drive vehicle. (This was before the family of every soccer mom had one in the garage.)

Even for the NC folks who call things a crisis when 17 snowflakes fall, there was a bunch of snow on the ground. FWIW, we went the "old" way on 29/74 (Wilkinson Blvd and Independence Blvd) and IIRC that game was played in the original (domed) "Charlotte Coliseum." It might even be a Bojangles venue now?

k

(Updated since it appears the snow-game I remember was the Louisville game.)