PDA

View Full Version : David Cutcliffe wins the Walter Camp National Coach of the Year Award

Dev11
12-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Per Joe Schad on Twitter, moments ago.

Congrats (again, I feel like we're congratulating the man every day at this rate) to Coach Cut!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Per Joe Schad on Twitter, moments ago.

Congrats (again, I feel like we're congratulating the man every day at this rate) to Coach Cut!
I love being inundated by so many great stories. Order restored in football.

CameronBornAndBred
12-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Very impressive. This is not a media award, it is chosen by his peers.

The Walter Camp Coach of the Year is selected by the nation’s 125 Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches and sports information directors.
http://www.waltercamp.org/dukes-david-cutcliffe-named-walter-camp-2013-coach-of-the-year/

davekay1971
12-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Well earned! Congratulations to Coach Cutcliffe. Once again, he's a credit to Duke University.

DukieInKansas
12-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Congratulations, Coach! How lucky we are to have him! Let's go, Duke!

uh_no
12-05-2013, 01:45 PM
looking at the list of recent winners, that's some darn good company!

2013 – David Cutcliffe, Duke

2012 – Brian Kelly, Notre Dame

2011 – Les Miles, LSU

2010 – Chip Kelly, Oregon

2009 – Gary Patterson, TCU

2008 – Nick Saban, Alabama

DevilWearsPrada
12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Congratulations to Coach Cutcliffe! Coach has surrounded himself with an outstanding Staff and Smart Football Players, that bought into his Vision of Duke Football!!!

Coach Cutcliffe, ACC Coach of the Year, and National Coach of the Year!!! He is so deserving of all awards!!

Duke Football ~ Order has been Restored !

flyingdutchdevil
12-05-2013, 02:01 PM
...is this the primary coaching award? Is this the equivalent of the Heisman for coaches?

loran16
12-05-2013, 02:10 PM
...is this the primary coaching award? Is this the equivalent of the Heisman for coaches?

No. There are three coaching awards. This, Maxwell, and I think the biggest one is the Bear Bryant award.

Cut is one of 3 finalists for the Maxwell, but wasn't on the watch list for the Bear Bryant as announced earlier this year (which doesn't mean he cant' be a finalist there, it happens sometimes).

flyingdutchdevil
12-05-2013, 02:11 PM
No. There are three coaching awards. This, Maxwell, and I think the biggest one is the Bear Bryant award.

Cut is one of 3 finalists for the Maxwell, but wasn't on the watch list for the Bear Bryant as announced earlier this year (which doesn't mean he cant' be a finalist there, it happens sometimes).

Thanks. That really helps to clarify things up.

CameronBornAndBred
12-05-2013, 02:21 PM

I hate that, in the most amazing coaching job of his career, he wasn't on the list for the award named in honor of his mentor. I am hoping wisdom takes over when they make their selections.

dukebballcamper90-91
12-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Congrats Coach Cut! Now Let's chop them noles up.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2013, 03:01 PM
I hate that, in the most amazing coaching job of his career, he wasn't on the list for the award named in honor of his mentor. I am hoping wisdom takes over when they make their selections.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to come up with a list early in the season of who will do the best job over the course of the season. But I guess you gotta start somewhere.

Cut was doing a great job when we were 2-2. It just did not get anyone's attention.

MCFinARL
12-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Doesn't make a lot of sense to come up with a list early in the season of who will do the best job over the course of the season. But I guess you gotta start somewhere.

Cut was doing a great job when we were 2-2. It just did not get anyone's attention.

Agree--this is why they usually modify most player award watch lists over the course of the season; seems like it would be a good idea to modify the coaching list as well.

Skitzle
12-05-2013, 04:09 PM
The winner of the Maxwell Award will be announced announced on Dec. 19 (2 weeks left...)

Bryant Finalists announcement date hasn't been set yet (from my research) but should be announced soon.

Duke Assistant Kurt Roper (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks) is a finalist for the Broyles Award for Assistant coach of the Year

CameronBornAndBred
12-05-2013, 04:42 PM

The list was actually released in early November when Duke was 6-2 and already defying expectations.

nyesq83
12-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Congratulations to Coach Cutcliffe! Coach has surrounded himself with an outstanding Staff and Smart Football Players, that bought into his Vision of Duke Football!!!

Coach Cutcliffe, ACC Coach of the Year, and National Coach of the Year!!! He is so deserving of all awards!!

Duke Football ~ Order has been Restored !

Nice! I concur! Love Cut!

weezie
12-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Richly deserved!
Are we lucky Devils or what?!

NYBri
12-05-2013, 10:06 PM
As for a coaching challenge, Cut has a huge one this Saturday. If he wins that one, he will deserve not just awards but sainthood.

Congrats!

Skitzle
12-09-2013, 04:19 PM
The winner of the Maxwell Award will be announced announced on Dec. 19 (2 weeks left...)

Bryant Finalists announcement date hasn't been set yet (from my research) but should be announced soon.

Duke Assistant Kurt Roper (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks) is a finalist for the Broyles Award for Assistant coach of the Year

Just a quick note. Last years Bryant Finalists were announced the 17 or 18th of Dec. So a similar wait will probably be in order.

CameronBornAndBred
12-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Just a quick note. Last years Bryant Finalists were announced the 17 or 18th of Dec. So a similar wait will probably be in order.
Here is the "watch list" that was announced on Nov. 1st.
The release says the finalists are announced in "early december"..which according to my calendar was yesterday. :rolleyes:
http://www.bryantawards.com/american-heart-association-and-marathon-oil-corporation-announce-watch-list-for-coveted-coach-of-the-year-honor/

devildeac
12-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Here is the "watch list" that was announced on Nov. 1st.
The release says the finalists are announced in "early december"..which according to my calendar was yesterday. :rolleyes:
http://www.bryantawards.com/american-heart-association-and-marathon-oil-corporation-announce-watch-list-for-coveted-coach-of-the-year-honor/

My response:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2013/12/9/5191196/football-t-shirts