PDA

View Full Version : Men or women- what's your favorite razor?

TNTDevil
08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
I've asked this among my friends but I figured I might need a larger sample size. My cat... errr... friend didn't really have a preference.

I'll start by conceding that I am “follicly” challenged. My hair line has receded all the way to the Rockies (therefore I shave my head), and my beard grows so slowly that I only need to shave about every 3rd day. Unfortunately, my ear/nose hair seems to have tapped some source of steroids and can grow inches in mere hours.

For about the last 18 months I have used the Schick Extreme3 for "Sensitive" skin (three blades and “comfort strip”) and found them to be quite capable. Then one day, I open my mailbox and, low-and-behold, I find a Gillette Fusion Power razor has been sent to me gratis by Gillette (this one is the five bladed puppy with one “detail” blade and “comfort glide” strip). I’m not sure why it’s called “Power” as its powered by yours truly.

To be honest, I’ve never gone for the “gimmick” stuff but I find this razor quite comfortable to use. So I thought, why not ask a few thousand of my anonymous friends what they’re using to relieve themselves of unwanted hair.

Chime in- America wants to know!

EarlJam
08-31-2007, 12:43 PM

First of all, the very subject line of this post totally cracked me up at my desk. Fantastic!

Those poor razor R&D and marketing schmucks. They have to re-invent a simple razor every over month or so. I was nearly asleep on the couch about a month ago when some razor commercial came on. By the time the commercial was over, I was all fired up and ready to go ten rounds with Tyson, Holyfield or whoever the top boxer is these days! This sucker had a scientifically designed shape to contour to the face; five or six, hell maybe seven blades and a freakin' battery! WOO HOO! HELL YEAH!!!!!

The Onion put out an article years ago mocking the Mach 3 razor. The article mentioned a five blade razor (or something like that). It came to fruition.

Anyway, with all that said, my favorite is the Mach 3 -with Edge or Barbosol shaving cream. Great shave, though shaving my face every day is one of the things I loathe the most...right next to waxing my thighs.

-EarlJam

TillyGalore
08-31-2007, 12:43 PM
I use the Venus by I don't remember who. Gillette maybe?

hc5duke
08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
You mean they still make razors with only 3 blades? Whaaaat?

I use my crappy old electric razor that hasn't quit on me in about 7-8 years... it's flat, plugs directly into the wall socket, and I love it.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Norelco rotary. Many of them over the last 30 or so years. I tried the Remington rotary last time and it wasn't as good. I now have the fancy new one with "50% more cutting surface" and it actually is faster and gives a smoother shave.

Blades, or non-rotary electrics irritate the skin on my neck.

EarlJam
08-31-2007, 01:04 PM

Being in a cast all summer, I was bored one day and confined to the house when talking to someone on the phone. They basically wouldn't shut up but they were mildly entertaining to me so I didn't want to hang up. I had just showered and began shaving when they called. So there I sat, in the recliner, razor and shaving creme by my side. As they droned on and on, I just decided to start shaving my torso. "What the hell," I figured.

So by the time the call was completed, I had shaved every ounce of hair (not that much really) on my torso (sans arms). True story, and too much information, I know.

Anyway, to the point, yes, it too irritated my skin.

-EarlJam

hc5duke
08-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Norelco rotary. Many of them over the last 30 or so years. I tried the Remington rotary last time and it wasn't as good. I now have the fancy new one with "50% more cutting surface" and it actually is faster and gives a smoother shave.

My wife uses a Norelco rotary - she got a men's one because apparently they work better (or maybe there's something I don't know about her?;)). I've tried using it and had mixed results - while it feels better on my face (the other one vibrates too much), I don't think it shaves as close as mine.

captmojo
08-31-2007, 01:09 PM
The Onion put out an article years ago mocking the Mach 3 razor. The article mentioned a five blade razor (or something like that). It came to fruition.

-EarlJam

SNL did a mock commercial years before tauting 4 blades, adverting that the fourth blade was so needed for that vital 2nd layer of skin that just had to go.

I like the small-headed precision of Bic Metal.

TillyGalore
08-31-2007, 01:14 PM
I used to use shaving cream when shaving my legs, but my skin was constantly irritated. I now use hair conditioner to shave and have no skin irritations and my skin is so much softer. In a pinch I'll use Vaseline lotion to shave and it works just as well.

EarlJam, perhaps you should keep some lotion near by in case you decide to shave your chest again. I laughed so hard as I did reading your post. Reminded me of a Seinfeld episode. :)

EarlJam
08-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Ya'll remember them old-timey razors where you twisted the bottom of the handle and the razor compartment opened up like bomb bay doors? Then you'd drop a full razor in from the pack of razors and close it shut be twisting the bottom again?

My dad had one of those and I thought it was cool. I'd like to have one just for the heck of it.

-EarlJam

killerleft
08-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Good News, Gillette! No pivot, Duke Blue. I have a fairly heavy beard and that oldie does better than the 4 or 5 bladed one my wife bought for me to try.

My dad had the old bomb-bay door one, too. I think I may have started out using one. He actually used the cup and brush shaving cream, too, but finally changed to Barbasol.

wilson
08-31-2007, 04:03 PM
A friend of mine once had a razor handle that took standard refills from some company or another, but it looked like an old-timey lawnmower (one of the unpowered, rotary deals). I always thought that thing was great.

As for me, I favor a Mach 3 in shaving season (March-Labor Dayish). My final shave for the year was last week, and I am now awaiting my "winter coat."

DevilAlumna
08-31-2007, 04:08 PM
SNL did a mock commercial years before tauting 4 blades, adverting that the fourth blade was so needed for that vital 2nd layer of skin that just had to go.

SNL also did a mock around the time the two-blade razors were becoming popular, about a revolutionary 3-blade one.

"The first blade to lift the hair, the second to cut it, and the third because most people will believe just about anything!" (or something to that effect.)

I'm a fan of just about any quad-blade razor, not necessarily because I think they shave better than a 2- or 3- blade one, but b/c they last longer. Neutrogena Rainbath is my version of shaving cream.

My dad, my brother, and the husband all shave using just water (or dial soap and water.) Are they crazy?

hc5duke
08-31-2007, 04:10 PM
My dad, my brother, and the husband all shave using just water (or dial soap and water.) Are they crazy?

When I use razors (not often) that's what I use (water + hand soap) - though it's really out of laziness. To answer your question, yes.

throatybeard
08-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Motorola V3.

Um no seriously, Mach 3. I tried that 5-blade stuff and it was overkill. But two feels like dragging a rusty penknife over my face after Mach 3. 3s enough. See Onion article.

captmojo
08-31-2007, 07:40 PM
What kind of Sasquatch hair do you ladies cut off those gorgeous gams?

Guys know when their razors have been borrowed with the first stroke. It's like somebody used it to slice up steel wool. No offense intended.:eek:

No faces were harmed in writing this post.

Indoor66
08-31-2007, 09:50 PM
I've asked this among my friends but I figured I might need a larger sample size. My cat... errr... friend didn't really have a preference.

I'll start by conceding that I am “follicly” challenged. My hair line has receded all the way to the Rockies (therefore I shave my head), and my beard grows so slowly that I only need to shave about every 3rd day. Unfortunately, my ear/nose hair seems to have tapped some source of steroids and can grow inches in mere hours.

For about the last 18 months I have used the Schick Extreme3 for "Sensitive" skin (three blades and “comfort strip”) and found them to be quite capable. Then one day, I open my mailbox and, low-and-behold, I find a Gillette Fusion Power razor has been sent to me gratis by Gillette (this one is the five bladed puppy with one “detail” blade and “comfort glide” strip). I’m not sure why it’s called “Power” as its powered by yours truly.

To be honest, I’ve never gone for the “gimmick” stuff but I find this razor quite comfortable to use. So I thought, why not ask a few thousand of my anonymous friends what they’re using to relieve themselves of unwanted hair.

I, too, shave from "neckline to neckline" all the way around and I do it daily. I use a Norelco electric 975. No cuts, close shave, rinse it out daily, replace blades yearly. Ease and comfort.