PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Michigan (Dec 3, 2013)

JBDuke
12-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 79-69 win over Michigan?

NYBri
12-03-2013, 11:31 PM
DRE!

flyingdutchdevil
12-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Dre had the most important, effective, and best 2 minutes of the game. But the overall body of work goes to Cook, and I don't think it's even close.

I hope to see more of that from Cook.

MCFinARL
12-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Quinn had the best overall game, but Dre he came in and put the game away at a crucial time, as if he had been in all along.

NYBri
12-03-2013, 11:36 PM
We win the game because of Dre.

wallyman
12-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Has to be Quinn, but what a performance by Andre. He's too good not to be getting more minutes.

mgtr
12-03-2013, 11:43 PM
After the Arizona game, I said that Cook looked like a "pass seldom" point guard. Tonight he looked like a well-rounded, championship point guard.
Way to go, Quinn!

wilson
12-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Gotta be Quinn in my opinion. One of the best games of his career.
But +1 also to the above props for Andre...reminded me of Baylor 2010.

DevilFalcon
12-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Dre had the most important, effective, and best 2 minutes of the game. But the overall body of work goes to Cook, and I don't think it's even close.

I hope to see more of that from Cook.

Exactly! Vote goes to Cook, but Dawkins stepped up huge at critical point in the game.

gurufrisbee
12-04-2013, 12:03 AM
It's Cook, hands down. It's really not even close. But Dawkins does deserve some kind of special honor as Super Second Man of the Match.

AZLA
12-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Had to give Plumlee a nod. He came in playing tough, influenced the game positively, and I think made a huge stride mentally that he can contribute well to the team. Especially if he can play at an effective level in the paint defensively (and he had some nice blocks or redirects). Always cool to see a player's self-belief and skills click together and transform into confidence before our eyes. It was only a few minutes, but I think indicative of a new level of teamwork the team achieved tonight.

You know... those "intangible" :)

Dawkins was a stone-cold assassin too.

DevilYouthCoach
12-04-2013, 12:42 AM
It's Cook, hands down. It's really not even close. But Dawkins does deserve some kind of special honor as Super Second Man of the Match.

A lot of Quinn's moves look great in highlight reels, but my favorite Quinn-ism was his congratulatory shove on Marshall Plumlee after the big guy made a nice layup. I like the way this young man communicates. His steal at mid-court was pretty nifty too!

Dukeblue91
12-04-2013, 06:43 AM
I'm going with Dre as he won the game for us and because I want to see more of him too.
But yes this was one of Cooks better games and the same can be said for a bunch on the team.

bob blue devil
12-04-2013, 06:59 AM
The answer is obvious, but I cant bring myself to vote after the selfish technical.

jv001
12-04-2013, 07:08 AM
I voted for Andre because his baskets came just when we needed them. But it was a tough choice between Dre and Cook. Quinn had a terrific game. By far the best game this year. Like someone said, the chest bump he gave Marshall showed that he was about the team this game. Matter of fact the post game interview indicated that. Good to see him getting everyone involved including himself. GoDuke!

Saratoga2
12-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Quinn had an excellent overall game and gets my vote. A careless early unforced turnover and a silly technical notwithstanding, his overall game was special.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-04-2013, 10:55 AM
For turning it up to 11 when the team needed it.

BD80
12-04-2013, 11:05 AM
For turning it up to 11 when the team needed it.

You do realize that he then single-handedly gave back as many points as he scored?

Ichabod Drain
12-04-2013, 11:26 AM
You do realize that he then single-handedly gave back as many points as he scored?

I know he got burned bad with a backdoor cut on one play but where were the other six points?

BD80
12-04-2013, 11:34 AM
I know he got burned bad with a backdoor cut on one play but where were the other six points?

There was also a baseline drive and at least one failure to rotate to cover when our post defender stepped out to help (I remember screaming at him twice for this but I don't remember if they both led to baskets)

johnb
12-04-2013, 11:38 AM
If this game jump-starts Marshall into being an effective 15 minute a game player, then we go from being a top dozen team to being a top 5 team. And so, while I voted for Quinn for MOTM, I'd vote for Marshall if this is part of a multi-game trajectory into his being our MITM (man in the middle).

OTOH, these silent games could get guys like Sheed and Amile going. Who knows?

MCFinARL
12-04-2013, 11:58 AM
There was also a baseline drive and at least one failure to rotate to cover when our post defender stepped out to help (I remember screaming at him twice for this but I don't remember if they both led to baskets)

I'd have to watch again before I could agree or disagree with your assessment, but I am ready to argue that it was worth it either way. The team really needed the offensive spark he provided right when he provided it, not to mention the open looks Quinn got with better floor spacing with Andre in the game. Once Duke increased the lead, the baskets on the other end weren't as damaging.

Newton_14
12-04-2013, 12:24 PM

Sorry but that's unfair. It was dumb to put Andre on that kid. Levert was torching every defender we put on him, so Andre was no worse in that regard. Andre and Hood should have had their assignments switched when Andre was in during that time. You dont put one of your marginal defenders on the other team's most creative and dynamic scorer. Andre's defense was fine when he was not guarding Levert. Just a poor coaching move there imo.

BD80
12-04-2013, 12:27 PM
I'd have to watch again before I could agree or disagree with your assessment, but I am ready to argue that it was worth it either way. The team really needed the offensive spark he provided right when he provided it, not to mention the open looks Quinn got with better floor spacing with Andre in the game. Once Duke increased the lead, the baskets on the other end weren't as damaging.

I will agree that it was well worth it. We were struggling offensively and losing momentum, and Dre gave us the much needed boost. This would argue for Coach K as the MOTM for his "mad scientist" ways. IMO: Quinn's stellar performance > Dre's boost - Dre's D.

It does tell you how difficult it must be to master Duke's defense. Five years after entering the program, Dre runs around on D without a clue. He isn't just occasionally caught out of position, he is usually out of position.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Sorry but that's unfair. It was dumb to put Andre on that kid. Levert was torching every defender we put on him, so Andre was no worse in that regard. Andre and Hood should have had their assignments switched when Andre was in during that time. You dont put one of your marginal defenders on the other team's most creative and dynamic scorer. Andre's defense was fine when he was not guarding Levert. Just a poor coaching move there imo.
Right on. My point in calling out Dre's contribution was the momentum it gave us. I didn't think his D was particularly worse than anyone else's. And I thought he also created a Michigan turnover during his run as well. If Dre doesn't put up those quick 8 points, no telling where momentum would have taken Michigan, but it was not in our favor at that point until Dre radically changed our trajectory... and very possibly saved the DBR/SBN servers from exploding due to length of post-game thread had Michigan built on their momentum and won.