PDA

View Full Version : David Cutcliffe: Your 2013 ACC Coach of the Year

BlueDevilinNYC
12-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Extremely well deserved:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/64194/cutcliffe-repeats-as-acc-coach-of-the-year

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-03-2013, 01:48 PM
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/Duke-Cutcliffe-Repeats-As-ACC-Coach-Of-The-Year_12-03-13_rfo49i

nmduke2001
12-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Also a finalist for the Maxwell Football Club Coach of the Year
https://www.maxwellfootballclub.org/news/maxwell-football-club-announces-collegiate-coach-year-finalists-0

DukieInKansas
12-03-2013, 01:56 PM
A well deserved honor for Coach Cutcliffe! Congratulations!

nyesq83
12-03-2013, 02:06 PM
An obvious award for an extraordinary man, mentor, mensch, and majestic member of the Duke family.

Long may you reign, Coach Cut!

roywhite
12-03-2013, 02:18 PM
An obvious award for an extraordinary man, mentor, mensch, and majestic member of the Duke family.

Long may you reign, Coach Cut!

When Coach Spurrier was at Duke, I felt we had two of the best major sport coaches of any school in the country in Coach K and the Ole Ball Coach.

Our situation today is even better, at least IMO -- Duke has the best pair of major sport coaches of any University in the country in Mke Krzyzewski and David Cutcliffe.
(and there are other Duke coaches who are among the very best in their sport).

Dev11
12-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure about other schools, but John Danowski has been to the final four every season since he's been at Duke, 2008, and he has two titles. That's pretty impressive.

flyingdutchdevil
12-03-2013, 02:31 PM
...I fully agree that Coach Cutcliffe should have won this award. No questions asked.

But for those who have complained that Coach K didn't win Coach of the Year despite winning the ACC flat out (you know, which happens from time to time), please refer to Cutcliffe. Duke wasn't the best team nor did we have the best record, but we surpassed expectations and did something historic for our program. Those, within them selves, makes Cutcliffe more deserving over Jumbo.

Indoor66
12-03-2013, 02:35 PM
...I fully agree that Coach Cutcliffe should have won this award. No questions asked.

But for those who have complained that Coach K didn't win Coach of the Year despite winning the ACC flat out (you know, which happens from time to time), please refer to Cutcliffe. Duke wasn't the best team nor did we have the best record, but we surpassed expectations and did something historic for our program. Those, within them selves, makes Cutcliffe more deserving over Jumbo.

Even moreso over Jimbo. ;):cool:

OldPhiKap
12-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Well-deserved. Congrats to Coach Cut and his staff; I am sure he would be the first to point out (as he always does) that he has great folks on his TEAM.

BlueDevilBrowns
12-03-2013, 03:17 PM
When Coach Spurrier was at Duke, I felt we had two of the best major sport coaches of any school in the country in Coach K and the Ole Ball Coach.

Our situation today is even better, at least IMO --

Perhaps I misunderstood, but if you're comparing the OBC to Cutcliffe, I would take Spurrier. I would say what he's done at Columbia is more impressive than what Cut's done with Duke so far. Just my opinion.

Duke has the best pair of major sport coaches of any University in the country in Mke Krzyzewski and David Cutcliffe.
(and there are other Duke coaches who are among the very best in their sport).

I agree but an argument could be made for Ohio State(perhaps others).

Indoor66
12-03-2013, 03:44 PM

I don't see any argument. Their basketball program is not even in the conversation.

Mike Corey
12-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood, but if you're comparing the OBC to Cutcliffe, I would take Spurrier. I would say what he's done at Columbia is more impressive than what Cut's done with Duke so far. Just my opinion.

Respectfully:

(1) Coach Spurrier took a South Carolina program that had just fired Lou Holtz, a former national championship-winning coach, and turned it from average to great. South Carolina had been ranked in each of the four seasons prior to Spurrier's arrival, including two bowl victories over Ohio State. Coach Cutcliffe took a program that had not had a winning season since 1994 and has just churned out back-to-back bowl bids, despite tremendous institutional inertia caused by a lack of recent tradition, decent facilities, fan support, etc. What Coach Cutcliffe has done is leagues above the Old Ball Coach's success in Columbia, IMO.

(2) Thad Matta is a very good coach, and Urban is among the three best coaches in college football. The former has never won a national title, and has been to a pair of Final Fours and produced a handful of All-Americans. A strong duo, to be sure, but again, not in the same league as Duke's. K is not only the best current coach, but arguably the best of all time. And Cutcliffe's rejuvenated two programs--Mississippi and Duke--while also winning a national title and a handful of awards while OC at Tennessee.

BlueDevilBrowns
12-03-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't see any argument. Their basketball program is not even in the conversation.

But you would compare Duke's Football program to Ohio State's?

Respectfully:

(1) Coach Spurrier took a South Carolina program that had just fired Lou Holtz, a former national championship-winning coach, and turned it from average to great. South Carolina had been ranked in each of the four seasons prior to Spurrier's arrival, including two bowl victories over Ohio State. Coach Cutcliffe took a program that had not had a winning season since 1994 and has just churned out back-to-back bowl bids, despite tremendous institutional inertia caused by a lack of recent tradition, decent facilities, fan support, etc. What Coach Cutcliffe has done is leagues above the Old Ball Coach's success in Columbia, IMO.

(2) Thad Matta is a very good coach, and Urban is among the three best coaches in college football. The former has never won a national title, and has been to a pair of Final Fours and produced a handful of All-Americans. A strong duo, to be sure, but again, not in the same league as Duke's. K is not only the best current coach, but arguably the best of all time. And Cutcliffe's rejuvenated two programs--Mississippi and Duke--while also winning a national title and a handful of awards while OC at Tennessee.

1) Winning at South Carolina isn't a walk-in-the-park. There's a reason it was known as the "Graveyard of Coaches".

Before Spurrier, South Carolina NEVER:

Won more than 10 games in a season(1984 - they went 10-2)
Finished in the AP Top 10
Defeated the #1 Team in the Country

Before Spurrier, South Carolina:

Finished in the AP Top 25 only 5 times
Won only 3 bowl games
Ended the Lou Holtz Era(32-37 overall record) on probation for major recruiting violations

Since Spurrier:
2010 SEC East Champions
3 consecutive seasons of at least 10 wins(2011-2013)
Finished in the AP Top 10 the last 2 years
3 Bowl Wins
Defeated #1 Alabama in 2010
5 straight victories over Clemson(1st time in history)

I would say that's pretty impressive.

2) I agree with your points, just saying I could see how someone could make a case for the duo of Matta/Meyer over K/Cut.

Mike Corey
12-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Winning at South Carolina is impressive. It is not as impressive as winning at Duke. The evidence you proferred supports that--Duke was churning 10-loss seasons prior to Cutcliffe's arrival and has now chalked up a 10-win season.

Respectfully, that's harder than taking a team that just won two Outback Bowls and progressing it a top-10 finish.

This is the same argument I suspect Auburn makes will make when Gus Malzahn is passed over for Cutcliffe when NCOY honors are announced.

What Cutcliffe has done is resuscitate a dormant program despite decades of struggle.

What Malzahn (and Spurrier) have done is impressive, no doubt, but an orange to Cutcliffe's apple.

Indoor66
12-03-2013, 04:29 PM
2) I agree with your points, just saying I could see how someone could make a case for the duo of Matta/Meyer over K/Cut.

Please, by all means, make your case. I do not claim Duke Football is as good as OSU - or even close. But you are making the assertion about the Matta/Meyer combo over K/Cut.

BlueDevilBrowns
12-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Winning at South Carolina is impressive. It is not as impressive as winning at Duke.

Maybe you're right.

I wonder if Spurrier coached at Duke, could he win?

I guess we'll never know.:rolleyes:

Seriously, though, both Spurrier and Cut are AWESOME coaches and as a fan of BOTH South Carolina and Duke, I'm happy they are where they are.

GO DUKE AND GO GAMECOCKS!

Mike Corey
12-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I wonder if Spurrier coached at Duke, could he win?

I guess we'll never know.:rolleyes:

No need to roll your eyes. That's not the argument--we're not comparing Spurrier's coaching success at Duke and comparing it to Cutcliffe's coaching success at Duke. However, I would argue that Spurrier's successes at Duke are more impressive than his successes at South Carolina.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Competing for SEC division championships at South Carolina is extremely impressive. Sustaining it, even moreso. They have now beaten Clemson six years in a row, after getting dogged year in and year out.

Steve's tenure in Columbia is a few years longer than Cut's in Durham, and so he is farther along. But I hope we are on the same trajectory. When we get to six straight against the Tar Heels, for example . . . .

The two situations are comparable. If it ain't a tie, it's pretty darn close.

BlueDevilBrowns
12-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Please, by all means, make your case. I do not claim Duke Football is as good as OSU - or even close. But you are making the assertion about the Matta/Meyer combo over K/Cut.

Allright, briefly, I would say this:

Meyer went undefeated at UTAH. He has won 2 National Titles at Florida. He has, already, 1 undefeated season at OSU and a shot at a 3rd Natty this year. Given his age(49), he could rival what K's doing if his health holds out.

Matta has made multiple FF's and Conference Titles while being a perennial Top 25 team and an elite program. Cutt, while having an excellent year, needs to follow it up with more consistency to match what Matta has done.

Is my case weak? - yeah, probably. But I could see how looking thru OSU-Colored glasses, the argument could be made.

jimsumner
12-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio should be in the tandem mix, especially if Michigan State beats Ohio State.

BlueDevilBrowns
12-03-2013, 04:54 PM
No need to roll your eyes. That's not the argument--we're not comparing Spurrier's coaching success at Duke and comparing it to Cutcliffe's coaching success at Duke. However, I would argue that Spurrier's successes at Duke are more impressive than his successes at South Carolina.

Originally, I was responding to (what I perceived to be) the assertion that Cutcliffe is a better coach than Spurrier. That's why I said "maybe I'm confused" because I wasn't sure about the intent of the post.

I think we actually agree on pretty much everything, but just coming at it from two different angles.

buddy
12-03-2013, 05:12 PM
I am impressed that it only took 6 posts to change the subject from Coach Cut's achievement to a "so's your old man" argument. Why do we need to discuss Steve
Spurrier (who I admire very much, and who did so much in his short time with us), Urban Meyer, Thad Motta or even Coach K. This is well deserved honor for a coach who took a program legally determined to be the worst in Division I (or whatever we call it today) and made it legitimate. We are so fortunate to have a man of integrity and ability to lead our program. Thanks to him the tailgate is no longer the high point of football Saturday. Duke is no longer the butt of jokes concerning football. We'll never know what school has the best tandem (or covey, or herd, or gaggle) of coaches, but we know we have a real gem in David Cutcliffe.

devildeac
12-03-2013, 05:34 PM
From wralsports:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/cutcliffe-repeats-as-acc-coy-named-national-finalist/13176274/

I especially like this quote:

On Monday, Duke assistant head coach and offensive coordinator Kurt Roper was named one of five finalists for the Broyles Award, an honor presented annually to the top assistant coach in the nation.

“We are certainly so proud for Kurt with this recognition – it is truly deserved,” said Cutcliffe, who won the Broyles Award in 1998 while a member of the staff at Tennessee. “I know what the award stands for and without a doubt Kurt Roper has earned the opportunity to stand next to the finest assistant coaches in America. “

As many times as we have criticized Roper here, I'd like to be the first to request that my crow be grilled and served with onions and peppers:o.

Indoor66
12-03-2013, 05:50 PM
From wralsports:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/cutcliffe-repeats-as-acc-coy-named-national-finalist/13176274/

I especially like this quote:

On Monday, Duke assistant head coach and offensive coordinator Kurt Roper was named one of five finalists for the Broyles Award, an honor presented annually to the top assistant coach in the nation.

“We are certainly so proud for Kurt with this recognition – it is truly deserved,” said Cutcliffe, who won the Broyles Award in 1998 while a member of the staff at Tennessee. “I know what the award stands for and without a doubt Kurt Roper has earned the opportunity to stand next to the finest assistant coaches in America. “

As many times as we have criticized Roper here, I'd like to be the first to request that my crow be grilled and served with onions and peppers:o.

No such luck. Eat it straight! :cool:

devildeac
12-03-2013, 06:39 PM
No such luck. Eat it straight! :cool:

Grumpy waiter:p. No tip (or sporks) for you!:rolleyes:

I think it would be crowded at the table. Hope there's enough to serve all of us doubters:o.

Indoor66
12-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Grumpy waiter:p. No tip (or sporks) for you!:rolleyes:

I think it would be crowded at the table. Hope there's enough to serve all of us doubters.

At least the sporks! :mad: :cool:

throatybeard
12-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Duke has the best pair of major sport coaches of any University in the country in Mke Krzyzewski and David Cutcliffe.

That has got to be the first time anyone has nailed the surname and misspelled the first name.

flyingdutchdevil
12-04-2013, 09:49 AM
That has got to be the first time anyone has nailed the surname and misspelled the first name.

Roywhite was just being consistent. There aren't vowels in the first half of Krzyzewski, so why should there be vowels in the first half of Mike? I prefer Mke.

johnb
12-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Even the Wall Street Journal is interested in Coach Cutcliffe:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304355104579234393738121278

coldriver10
12-04-2013, 07:05 PM
My apologies if this has already been posted. There is no such thing as too many good Cutcliffe articles, and this was one of the best I've read:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10077444/david-cutcliffe-turns-duke-blue-devils-acc-championship-contender

My favorite quotes:

And then you look at our players. I'm blessed with the kids we have here. We took the locks off our lockers. I don't ever want to coach anywhere again where you have to lock the locker room. A big reason we're winning is because of the kind of kids we have. I can't imagine coaching anywhere else.
and

I want to be a person that's made a difference in our profession and not just have a decent career. What I would tell coaches is to find a job that fits your personality and something you truly believe in and not something you're just working in.

This place has been the perfect fit for me.
Not only do we have a highly capable coach running the football team, but we have one who's an excellent representative of Duke University. Makes me proud.

J_C_Steel
12-05-2013, 09:30 AM
David Cutcliffe is a rare football man -- one with vision beyond the current year and beyond even his own tenure. He understood that the Duke football program required a full overhaul in terms of its priorities, its culture, its facilities, and its goals. He instilled a quiet confidence in his vision in others, and now he deflects all praise to his assistants and his players.

Coach Cutcliffe is a fantastic football coach, and a better man. I would be happy to send one of my sons to him to play football for Duke.

nmduke2001
12-05-2013, 09:36 AM
My apologies if this has already been posted. There is no such thing as too many good Cutcliffe articles, and this was one of the best I've read:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10077444/david-cutcliffe-turns-duke-blue-devils-acc-championship-contender

My favorite quotes:

and

Not only do we have a highly capable coach running the football team, but we have one who's an excellent representative of Duke University. Makes me proud.

I think this is the money quote:
"I'm thankful the game is Saturday night because I intend to let them sleep in Saturday morning because I know in my heart that they will be up all night this week doing papers and studying for finals," Cutcliffe said. "I tell them, 'You've got to be ready to play this game, but you can't dump your academics.' You just can't do that here."

Pretty sure Les Miles isn't saying such things.

Mike Corey
12-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Even the Wall Street Journal is interested in Coach Cutcliffe:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304355104579234393738121278

Great stuff. But to be fair, the author is a former sports editor at The Chronicle (and occasional DBR poster), so Duke has an inside track to the WSJ pages now. :)