PDA

View Full Version : Jim Grobe out at Wake Forest

loran16
12-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Per Multiple reports.

Wake has a press conference scheduled for 4:15.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Per Multiple reports.

Wow, big mistake IMHO if true.

ForkFondler
12-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Duke Football envy claims it's first victim.

Dev11
12-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Duke Football envy claims it's first victim.

Grobe was gone before Bzdelik? He won an ACC title! In football! At Wake Forest!

Look out, Fedora and London.

DevilWearsPrada
12-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Per Multiple reports.

WOW! Jim Grobe is a fine man but it may be time to move on... I knew Coach Grobe was on the HOT SEAT. It is sad when anyone loses a job or is forced to resign. That's a part of Athletics! The Best to Coach Grobe and his family and Staff.

415 pm press conference will be announced in a few minutes!

Thanks for posting!!

Tripping William
12-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Is here: http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/article_555119ac-5b8f-11e3-ac59-0019bb30f31a.html

Makes it seem as though Grobe jumped, rather than his having been pushed. Or maybe half-and-half.

Tripping William
12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Is here: http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/article_555119ac-5b8f-11e3-ac59-0019bb30f31a.html

Makes it seem as though Grobe jumped, rather than his having been pushed. Or maybe half-and-half.

And an email from Wake Athletics to its boosters said this, in relevant part:

"This morning, during their regular weekly meeting, Head Football Coach Jim Grobe informed Athletic Director Ron Wellman of his plans to resign his position."

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm not surprised at all. While at the Wake game, I was saying he must be on the hotseat. Five straight losing seasons will do that to a coach...and when the guys next door are winning with similar recruits, it makes it worse. (Even Duke didn't give a guy years of losing.)

OldPhiKap
12-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Grobe was gone before Bzdelik? He won an ACC title! In football! At Wake Forest!

Look out, Fedora and London.

I seem to recall hearing that London has an expensive buy-out at this stage, but not sure about that.

Fedora, to be fair, has not had his full number of scholarships. I think tales of his early demise are unfortunately unfounded.

Strangest coaching of the year had to be in Raliegh. That seat will get hot quickly.

Tech boosters want Johnson gone, but are still paying out Paul Hewitt's absurd buy-out.

Grobe showed that the little guys could compete, and I credit his success in part with the kick in the pants that Duke's administration got to stop hiding behind the "we're too small to compete" and to go invest in a real coach and facilities. Good luck Coach Grobe.

wilko
12-02-2013, 04:22 PM
...and when the guys next door are winning with similar recruits, it makes it worse.

Jim always seemed like a top notch guy.
I hope he did it ENTIRELY on his terms and got exactly what he wanted in the move.

So at the risk of looking like a vulture... since you mentioned recruits...
Anyone we could perhaps pick up from WF because of this transition?

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Jim always seemed like a top notch guy.
I hope he did it ENTIRELY on his terms and got exactly what he wanted in the move.

So at the risk of looking like a vulture... since you mentioned recruits...
Anyone we could perhaps pick up from WF because of this transition?
Most likely recruits will wait on the hire. Cutcliffe got Renfree not because GT lost the guy who recruited him, but because GT hired a guy who wanted to run the option. And I'm sure our coaches will be making phone calls if there is anyone they would like to talk to. ;)

budwom
12-02-2013, 05:03 PM
I seem to recall hearing that London has an expensive buy-out at this stage, but not sure about that.

Fedora, to be fair, has not had his full number of scholarships. I think tales of his early demise are unfortunately unfounded.

Strangest coaching of the year had to be in Raliegh. That seat will get hot quickly.

Tech boosters want Johnson gone, but are still paying out Paul Hewitt's absurd buy-out.

Grobe showed that the little guys could compete, and I credit his success in part with the kick in the pants that Duke's administration got to stop hiding behind the "we're too small to compete" and to go invest in a real coach and facilities. Good luck Coach Grobe.

I'm all for Hat Fedora keeping his job. When you look at that team, the words "well coached" do not come to mind. May his reign continue.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm all for Hat Fedora keeping his job. When you look at that team, the words "well coached" do not come to mind. May his reign continue.

Shhh -- they'll figure out my ulterior motive.

A-Tex Devil
12-02-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm going to say it --- I don't think the move by Wake is dumb at all.

Except in *VERY RARE* circumstances, I think most coaching positions should turn over after 8-10 years in the event there is stagnation. Unless you are winning championships on the reg, more than one or two dips down should allow for a reasonable ouster. Complacency is a bad thing. And change can be a good thing. If you are churning through coaches every 3-4 years that's one thing. Grobe did well at Wake, about as well as could be expected, but he's hit a wall. If I'm a Wake fan, I want some new blood in there, and I'm not sure the risk of change is much worse than the status quo.

If we are sitting at the end of this decade and Cutcliffe has come off of 5 consecutive losing seasons (and I doubt that will happen), I hope we evaluate it similarly.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Reading the ACC blog on ESPN, this was his decision and had been building for at least two seasons.

sue71, esq
12-02-2013, 07:41 PM
According to Scott Wolf (he covers the USC beat for the LA Daily News), Ed Orgeron is applying for the Wake job. (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20131202/latest-usc-tweets-from-scott-wolf-on-steve-sarkisian-ed-orgeron-and-more)

Edit: Yes, OPK, this is what I do after a really strange final and 8 days until the next one. I am gifting myself with an afternoon off. I'll restart studying this evening.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2013, 07:50 PM
According to Scott Wolf (he covers the USC beat for the LA Daily News), Ed Orgeron is applying for the Wake job. (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20131202/latest-usc-tweets-from-scott-wolf-on-steve-sarkisian-ed-orgeron-and-more)

Edit: Yes, OPK, this is what I do after a really strange final and 8 days until the next one. I am gifting myself with an afternoon off. I'll restart studying this evening.

Sue, to have no doubt earned the right.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Have mercy! I'm not sure the Wake Forest folks have the same value system as Ed Orgeron.

dukebluelemur
12-02-2013, 08:13 PM

Just goes to show its all who your friends are. I feel so bad for wake. That AD is just hammering them into irrelevance.

sue71, esq
12-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Sue, to have no doubt earned the right.

:)

Have mercy! I'm not sure the Wake Forest folks have the same value system as Ed Orgeron.

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not (thanks, internet :rolleyes: ), but he's pretty awesome. I would've been quite happy if he'd stayed at USC.

FerryFor50
12-02-2013, 09:21 PM

Orgeron deserves a head coaching gig. He turned around USC's season and breathed life into the program.

How does USC repay him? Hiring Steve Sarkisian away from Washington. Sarkisian managed a 34-29 record at UW.

Then USC offers Orgeron an assistant head coaching gig as an olive branch.

I'd bolt, too.

Potato Head
12-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Except in *VERY RARE* circumstances, I think most coaching positions should turn over after 8-10 years in the event there is stagnation. Unless you are winning championships on the reg, more than one or two dips down should allow for a reasonable ouster. Complacency is a bad thing. And change can be a good thing. If you are churning through coaches every 3-4 years that's one thing. Grobe did well at Wake, about as well as could be expected, but he's hit a wall. If I'm a Wake fan, I want some new blood in there, and I'm not sure the risk of change is much worse than the status quo.

Unless you have someone specific in mind, I don't think change for change sake is a good thing. Especially in college sports where you get the new coach break-in period plus at least four years until you get a full team of "your guys". Sometimes change is absolutely positive. But more often than not it isn't, I'd say. Think most State fans are happy that they got rid of Tom O'Brien?

throatybeard
12-02-2013, 10:23 PM
If this is Grobe's decision, and he has a landing spot, I salute him.

If this is Wake Forest's decision, it's one of the most asinine decisions in the history of sport.

throatybeard
12-02-2013, 10:26 PM
If we are sitting at the end of this decade and Cutcliffe has come off of 5 consecutive losing seasons (and I doubt that will happen), I hope we evaluate it similarly.

I don't. I hope we have some human decency.

ForkFondler
12-02-2013, 11:03 PM

A five year BCS coaching contract is lifetime wages for most people. Don't shed too many tears.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2013, 11:07 PM

If this is Wake Forest's decision, it's one of the most asinine decisions in the history of sport.

Grobe's decision I think:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/64162/jim-grobe-made-his-mark-at-wake-forest

"This has been something that's been in my head for a couple years," Grobe said during a news conference in Winston-Salem, N.C. "Were we making enough strides in recruiting, developing facilities, building the program and doing the things we needed to do with me as the head football coach?

"These last couple years, the losses that we've had, especially all the close games we've had, start to beat you up a little bit. I got to the point where I felt like we were working as hard as we possibly could, and we weren't quite getting it done. I just feel like we're in a position right now where there needs to be new energy or focus."

Again, best of luck Coach Grobe. Nothing but respect here.

throatybeard
12-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Again, best of luck Coach Grobe. Nothing but respect here.

Likewise.

But some people don't understand how difficult it is to win in football at a school like Duke or Wake Forest, and have no fellow-feeling for people who are attempting a close-to-impossible job.

If Cut goes 5-7 for the next five years, I'm still behind him.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Likewise.

But some people don't understand how difficult it is to win in football at a school like Duke or Wake Forest, and have no fellow-feeling for people who are attempting a close-to-impossible job.

If Cut goes 5-7 for the next five years, I'm still behind him.

Agreed.

If Cut went 5-7 for that period of time, Cut's biggest critic would be himself I suspect.

I do not see that happening, though. Although we certainly have challenges given our size and other admission considerations, we are a national brand name in sports and may find it easier to sustain. Our athletic department is en fuego, on many many fronts.

That makes what Grobe did so impressive. I remember when Dave Odom left Wake to take the South Carolina job, his comment was that it was difficult to recruit when you were everyone's second-favorite team in the state. True dat.

-bdbd
12-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Agreed.

If Cut went 5-7 for that period of time, Cut's biggest critic would be himself I suspect.

I do not see that happening, though. Although we certainly have challenges given our size and other admission considerations, we are a national brand name in sports and may find it easier to sustain. Our athletic department is en fuego, on many many fronts.

That makes what Grobe did so impressive. I remember when Dave Odom left Wake to take the South Carolina job, his comment was that it was difficult to recruit when you were everyone's second-favorite team in the state. True dat.

Frankly, I am not convinced that it was entirely his decision. It isn't like he wasn't hearing the many Wake fans and big donors calling for his head. If you get out of town just ahead of the posse, did you leave b/c of your own decision or were you "forced" to leave?? Grobe is, by all accounts, one of the "good guys" in College FB. He and Cut are apparently tight. That says a lot to me. I think that it is a big mistake by Wake, and they'll realize how good they had it soon enough.

I'd love to see Cut add him on to the staff in Durham, perhaps as a Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach sort of position. He's one of the better X & O's guys around.

A-Tex Devil
12-03-2013, 12:16 AM
And this is all moot if Grobe chose to go..... or not... whatever....

Unless you have someone specific in mind, I don't think change for change sake is a good thing. Especially in college sports where you get the new coach break-in period plus at least four years until you get a full team of "your guys". Sometimes change is absolutely positive. But more often than not it isn't, I'd say. Think most State fans are happy that they got rid of Tom O'Brien?

I am not arguing change for change's sake is good. But failure to identify negative trends, quickly, and rest on the laurels of past success can lead to negative results and complacency. I don't know if that's what happened at Wake, but 5 losing seasons is not anyone's standard, much less a successful coach like Jim Grobe. The "Fix it in 3-4 years or your fired" revolving door that schools like Duke, Baylor or Kentucky have seen certainly isn't helpful. But there has to be a point where you need to evaluate the status quo, especially when these salaries are so high.

I don't know if the hyperbole or the high horse is more annoying. Name me a coach in Division I football that has lived through 5 losing seasons in a row in the last 20, hell, 30 years. Grobe set a wonderful standard at Wake. It's not unreasonable, much less inhuman, to question his results the last several years and consider whether a thoughtful change is the best route.

A five year BCS coaching contract is lifetime wages for most people. Don't shed too many tears.

This. Before we cry for anyone, remember how much these guys are getting paid. Cutcliffe deserves as close to tenure as you can get for what he's accomplished. I'll refrain from any more hypotheticals when it comes to Coach Cut's future, since it certainly strikes a nerve and isn't helpful. But in generalities -- no division 1 head coach should be immune to sustained losing seasons.

throatybeard
12-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Seems to me A-Tex is projecting his UT company-line disdain for Mack Brown onto Jim Grobe, if you read between the lines.

No matter. Grobe is still one of the most accomplished men in an unfair game. These little private schools can't mess with the numbers game while the Alabamas can. Wake Forest actually won an ACCCG!

I love Cut. Cut has had some heart problems. Wake Forest lost an amazing coach (Prosser) due to heart problems. I hope Cut lives another 30, but if he were to keel over tomorrow, you know who I would want Kevin White to be on the phone with the next day? Jim Grobe.

darthur
12-03-2013, 12:54 AM

Anything Duke hits very close to home, and as a previous poster said, very few programs owe a coach as much as Duke owes Cutcliffe right now.

However, in general, don't you think that the athletic department's main priority should be the betterment of the program and not the rewarding of the coach? If so, it can sometimes be the right decision to replace a really good coach if he is stagnating, if he has not achieved true icon status, and if you believe you can do better.

I certainly hope the Duke football wouldn't come to that point after 5 seasons at 5-7, but I hope we would at some point. If it got to that point, I'd like to see a departure on good terms and some remorse, but I would also hope that the athletic department would be willing to put the program above any one person, even the coach. If K is willing to sit a senior who isn't playing well, why should the program treat the coaches any differently?

Duvall
12-03-2013, 01:06 AM
I don't know if the hyperbole or the high horse is more annoying. Name me a coach in Division I football that has lived through 5 losing seasons in a row in the last 20, hell, 30 years.

Er, David Cutcliffe.

The sixth season was worth waiting for.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2013, 01:56 AM
My distain for Mack Brown goes back to 1988. But I digress. . .

And in the name of accuracy, one of Grobe's sub-.500 years was in 2011 at 6-7, with a loss in the Music City Bowl. So to call that a losing season, while technically correct, is somewhat incomplete. He got them to a bowl.

Indeed, he took them to bowls in four of the last eight years. Not shabby for one of the smallest schools in the BCS division.

Bob Green
12-03-2013, 05:11 AM
Sarkisian managed a 34-29 record at UW.

Sarkisan did a wonderful job at UW. The five seasons prior to his arrival UW went 0-12, 4-9, 5-7, 2-9, 1-10. Placing sentimental thoughts on Orgeron aside, hiring Sarkisan was a smart move by Pat Haden.

JasonEvans
12-03-2013, 08:43 AM
I remember when Dave Odom left Wake to take the South Carolina job, his comment was that it was difficult to recruit when you were everyone's second-favorite team in the state. True dat.

"Second-favorite?" In terms of actual supporters in the state, Wake is almost certainly a distant 4th behind all three Triangle schools. With the exception of Wake grads, I'd bet Wake is no better than the third most popular team for most people in North Carolina.

-Jason "it is a tough situation, but some great coaches have succeeded there" Evans

BD80
12-03-2013, 09:00 AM
"Second-favorite?" In terms of actual supporters in the state, Wake is almost certainly a distant 4th behind all three Triangle schools. With the exception of Wake grads, I'd bet Wake is no better than the third most popular team for most people in North Carolina.

-Jason "it is a tough situation, but some great coaches have succeeded there" Evans

The point is that everyone in the state has a favorite: Duke, State or unc. Each of those fans will root for Wake over either of the other two schools. Maybe the fourth most popular, but always the second favorite.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2013, 09:07 AM

The point is that everyone in the state has a favorite: Duke, State or unc. Each of those fans will root for Wake over either of the other two schools. Maybe the fourth most popular, but always the second favorite.

Jason, I think BD80 has it right. At least, that's how I took his comment.

No one* hates Wake. They are always right behind your team in the pecking order.

*Your mileage may vary with Josh Howard and/or Chris "my hand punched what? Paul. But can anyone really hate Rusty LaRue, Mugsy Bogues or Tim Duncan?

Dev11
12-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Just goes to show its all who your friends are. I feel so bad for wake. That AD is just hammering them into irrelevance.

Now that it sounds like this was Grobe's decision and not Wellman's, I retract my previous statement of disbelief. Good on him for deciding it was time to go.

Reilly
12-03-2013, 09:28 AM
... But can anyone really hate Rusty LaRue, Mugsy Bogues or Tim Duncan?

Yeah, but WFU gave us Billy Packer, and that's a lot to overcome ....

A-Tex Devil
12-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Er, David Cutcliffe.

The sixth season was worth waiting for.

Touché. Last season was so awesome I had forgotten we had a losing record. My position still stands. Duke was about as extreme a position as you could get and Cutcliffe showed improvement qualitatively each year. Grobe had a noticeable, extended, backslide. I am not saying Grobe should have been let go or forced out or whatever. I am saying that the position that maybe that it was time for a change at Wake is more than reasonable.

Indoor66
12-03-2013, 09:50 AM

But it was a gift that kept on giving....:mad: :cool:

OldPhiKap
12-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Damn, had erased that from my memory.

throatybeard
12-03-2013, 11:16 PM
*Your mileage may vary with Josh Howard and/or Chris "my hand punched what? Paul. But can anyone really hate Rusty LaRue, Mugsy Bogues or Tim Duncan?

If you look up "punk" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Chris Paul. But why would ANYone hate Josh Howard?

OldPhiKap
12-03-2013, 11:32 PM
If you look up "punk" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Chris Paul. But why would ANYone hate Josh Howard?

http://www.thehoopsreport.com/aspnethoop/article.aspx?id=1122

Not saying that I agree, but it is out there.

FerryFor50
12-03-2013, 11:35 PM
http://www.thehoopsreport.com/aspnethoop/article.aspx?id=1122

Not saying that I agree, but it is out there.

Probably one of the worst articles ever written...

fisheyes
12-05-2013, 03:25 PM

My daughter is a student at Wake and the word around campus was the Grobe was told to fire his entire staff or resign.

He chose to resign.

I know that this is rumor only, but really?

Duvall
12-06-2013, 03:23 PM
All the concerns about Grobe being done dirty by the Demon Deacons, Pete Lembo is a guy that could probably do well there. (http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20131205/SPORTS20/131205003/Sources-Wake-Forest-official-Muncie-presumably-meet-Lembo?odyssey=mod%7Cbreaking%7Ctext%7CFrontpage%20 DontMiss&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1)

burns15
12-07-2013, 06:31 AM
My daughter is a student at Wake and the word around campus was the Grobe was told to fire his entire staff or resign.

He chose to resign.

I know that this is rumor only, but really?

When I was a student at Wake (just graduated in May 2013), I worked on the football staff doing recruiting. I have a buddy who still worked for them, until Grobe resigned of course. I can confirm the fact that Grobe was essentially fired/pushed out by the Wake athletic department. The fact that he "resigned" was Wake's attempt to allow him to leave with grace after what he has do e for the program.

It's a shame that it had to end this way for Grobe, as I can honestly say he is one of the nicest, most genuine men I have ever met. But our football program had also stagnated in recent years, in all aspects. So change might not be the worst thing in the world, especially if we can find a young, intense, passionate head coach who will bring a bit of a change of pace from what Grobe brought.

Duvall
12-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Looks like Wake is hiring Bowling Green's Dave Clawson (http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/article_1a096476-6143-11e3-a378-0019bb30f31a.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter), who has already done more for the ACC by knocking Northern Illinois out of the BCS than Jeff Bzdelik has in four years.

Acymetric
12-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Looks like Wake is hiring Bowling Green's Dave Clawson (http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/article_1a096476-6143-11e3-a378-0019bb30f31a.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter), who has already done more for the ACC by knocking Northern Illinois out of the BCS than Jeff Bzdelik has in four years.

Color me unimpressed. Still a better hire than Bzdelik.

DueBlevil
12-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Think it's interesting that Wellman in that article makes a big deal about hiring someone with experience at a private school. I think Cut has proven that's not a huge deal... as far as I know Cut has only been affiliated with large public institutions (except for being hired at ND and then not actually even coaching there) prior to coming to Duke.

I'd say go for the best coach on the board and trust that he is smart enough to figure out what it means to coach at a private school.

RPS
12-10-2013, 03:03 PM
If you look up "punk" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Chris Paul.

I suspect things change depending on whether he (or anyone else) is "ours" or "yours." Christian Laettner comes to mind.

For what it's worth, my daughter was a Wake student with CP3 and he was anything but a punk off the court. Note too that, as has been well-publicized (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--chris-paul-and-j-j--redick--now-clippers-teammates--bury-feud-065652876.html) here in SoCal, CP3 and JJ (along with their wives) have already become pretty tight. It also seems like our coaching staff has come to terms (http://www.sportingnews.com/olympics/story/2012-08-12/olympics-2012-us-spain-mike-krzyzewski-coach-k-retirement-chris-paul) with him.

It helps that he's a truly great player.

JBDuke
12-10-2013, 09:10 PM
I suspect things change depending on whether he (or anyone else) is "ours" or "yours." Christian Laettner comes to mind.

For what it's worth, my daughter was a Wake student with CP3 and he was anything but a punk off the court. Note too that, as has been well-publicized (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--chris-paul-and-j-j--redick--now-clippers-teammates--bury-feud-065652876.html) here in SoCal, CP3 and JJ (along with their wives) have already become pretty tight. It also seems like our coaching staff has come to terms (http://www.sportingnews.com/olympics/story/2012-08-12/olympics-2012-us-spain-mike-krzyzewski-coach-k-retirement-chris-paul) with him.

It helps that he's a truly great player.

This jives with my impressions of Chris Paul. Off the court, he's a prince. On the court, he's a jerk. But if he's YOUR jerk you love him for what he brings to the game. (And Christian is a good on-court comparison. Not sure Christian was much of a prince off the court, but I can't say either way.)

-jk
12-10-2013, 09:26 PM
How many guys did Paul pop? (Ouch!)

I think he's in a league of his own there.

-jk

Acymetric
12-10-2013, 10:37 PM
How many guys did Paul pop? (Ouch!)

I think he's in a league of his own there.

-jk

I know at least one in college and one in the NBA right? Are there more?

throatybeard
12-10-2013, 10:48 PM
I know at least one in college and one in the NBA right? Are there more?

Hodge, and who's the one in the NBA?

Acymetric
12-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Hodge, and who's the one in the NBA?

I'm not sure and I may be mis-remembering here, but I was pretty sure there was one more after the Hodge incident.