PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to Semi, Matt, Marshall, Alex, and Andre

Eakane
12-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Guys:

I know it's hard. I know it's frustrating. It's only November, and it seems the lineup is already down to 7. (The same amount of minutes you all combined for in the last game). Talk of full court pressing and utlizling our depth seems like a distant memory, if not a dream, and I can only imagine the seeds of doubt floating in your minds. But I'm writing to say just this:

Stay frosty.

Your time will come. I cite one example, from before most of you were even born: Greg Koubek. Long story short, in his senior season, his playing time had diminshed so much that over the winter holiday, he seriously considered not even returning. Instead, he came back, earned his way to more PT, and in the National Semifinals, he guarded Larry Johnson (brilliantly, I might add) and was a key part of our first national championship, not only beating a previously unbeaten UNLV squad, but also Ole' Roy's Kansas team. Most folks remember Hurly, Hill and Laettner from that team, but Greg was the first one EVER to play in 4 final fours, and without Greg, we would not have won the '91 NC.

The five of you are all vastly more naturally talented than Greg was, and no matter how hard you work, for some of you, your time might not come until next year (we are not going to ever go to a 12 man rotation), but stay with it. The reward you want, and what we all want as your fans, will not only come as so richly deserved, but it will mean all that much more because you will have earned it.

SeattleIrish
12-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Guys:

I know it's hard. I know it's frustrating. It's only November, and it seems the lineup is already down to 7. (The same amount of minutes you all combined for in the last game). Talk of full court pressing and utlizling our depth seems like a distant memory, if not a dream, and I can only imagine the seeds of doubt floating in your minds. But I'm writing to say just this:

Stay frosty.

Your time will come. I cite one example, from before most of you were even born: Greg Koubek. Long story short, in his senior season, his playing time had diminshed so much that over the winter holiday, he seriously considered not even returning. Instead, he came back, earned his way to more PT, and in the National Semifinals, he guarded Larry Johnson (brilliantly, I might add) and was a key part of our first national championship, not only beating a previously unbeaten UNLV squad, but also Ole' Roy's Kansas team. Most folks remember Hurly, Hill and Laettner from that team, but Greg was the first one EVER to play in 4 final fours, and without Greg, we would not have won the '91 NC.

The five of you are all vastly more naturally talented than Greg was, and no matter how hard you work, for some of you, your time might not come until next year (we are not going to ever go to a 12 man rotation), but stay with it. The reward you want, and what we all want as your fans, will not only come as so richly deserved, but it will mean all that much more because you will have earned it.

That was a very stirring, yet humble, post, Greg.

s.i.

Eakane
12-02-2013, 11:08 AM
LOL, I'm not Greg. But if you ask him, he won't claim responsibility for winning the NC, but he will tell you that when he went to them to talk about his PT (K, Mike Brey and Tommy Amaker), they told him to work hard and he'd earn his way back into the lineup. IIRC, he started nearly every game after the break, including all of the post season games.

MChambers
12-02-2013, 11:17 AM
LOL, I'm not Greg. But if you ask him, he won't claim responsibility for winning the NC, but he will tell you that when he went to them to talk about his PT (K, Mike Brey and Tommy Amaker), they told him to work hard and he'd earn his way back into the lineup. IIRC, he started nearly every game after the break, including all of the post season games.
Didn't Koubek also score the first five points of the national championship game? See, you are being humble, Greg!

Seriously, I saw the Duke-Georgetown game in the ACC-Big East series in 1990 and Koubek looked completely lost. He made a wonderful recovery and played a key role down the stretch. I'm hoping one or more of the players you list does something similar.