PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Admins blamed ACC Rivalries for fans' "Toxic behavior."

loran16
11-30-2013, 10:19 PM
This is pretty hilarious.

"After the Big Ten decision was finalized, Shea expressed concern about Maryland's "toxic" fan culture during some ACC games and said he hoped the atmosphere would improve in the Big Ten.

For some time, I have been bothered that these 'traditional rivalries' have provoked toxic reactions from abusive language at the games to riots and car burnings after victories," the regents board chair said in an email to Kirwan. "Maybe the most significant result will be that we have disrupted the fan base and that a new base, equally dedicated to excellence and success but more civilized, will take its place."

Yep, Maryland Admins, it wasn't your fans who were at fault, it was the rivalries causing them to riot. Funny how no other ACC school behaves that way.

The whole piece his hilarious really. See it here: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-big-ten-1201-20131130,0,7136376.story?page=2#ixzz2mBoX6d7v

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Little does Indiana know, Maryland has been their mortal enemy for years.

Good riddance.

miramar
11-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Yep, Maryland Admins, it wasn't your fans who were at fault, it was the rivalries causing them to riot. Funny how no other ACC school behaves that way.

I have been dealing with college administrators for over twenty years and I can assure you that I have heard them make far dumber comments.

Over and over in fact.

devildeac
11-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Little does Indiana know, Maryland has been their mortal enemy for years.

Good riddance.

Indiana? I thought it would be Purdue or Northwestern:rolleyes:.

SmartDevil
12-01-2013, 05:35 AM
Indiana? I thought it would be Purdue or Northwestern:rolleyes:.

Purdue, definitely Purdue.....after all, MD considers itself the chicken capitsl of the world becasus of the Perdue family's vast chicken raising holdings in the DelMarVa area.

Purdue vs Perdue.

So Purdue is Maryland's longtime hated rival Makes as much sense as Maryland having considered Duke their rival rather than UVA.

sagegrouse
12-01-2013, 07:42 AM

The whole piece his hilarious really. See it here: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-big-ten-1201-20131130,0,7136376.story?page=2#ixzz2mBoX6d7v

Interesting. The subtext is that the Chair of the Board of Regents is horribly embarrassed by student behavior. But he is whistling past the graveyard in thinking it will change.

Sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
12-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Interesting. The subtext is that the Chair of the Board of Regents is horribly embarrassed by student behavior. But he is whistling past the graveyard in thinking it will change.

Sagegrouse

My hope is that Turgeon will try to quell it, whereas Gary stoked it.

FerryFor50
12-01-2013, 10:45 AM
My hope is that Turgeon will try to quell it, whereas Gary stoked it.

My hope is... Wait, I don't care. Good riddance.

I have heard that Maryland's oldest rival is whatever team is the best team in the Big 10...

roywhite
12-01-2013, 11:11 AM

Sagegrouse

Yeah, probably so, Sage, but terrible Terp behavior was not limited to current students. Alums and non-associated local sports fans were pretty bad, too. Good riddance indeed.

Faison1
12-01-2013, 11:16 AM

What a bunch of Schmucks. There is no way that changing conference affiliations is going to change their people.

As I've always said, you can take the China out of Communism, but you can't take the Communism out of China.

53n206
12-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Am i missing something? Is the fan, student, behavior all over the ACC similar to that of Maryland? Are we all alike?

FerryFor50
12-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Am i missing something? Is the fan, student, behavior all over the ACC similar to that of Maryland? Are we all alike?

What you are missing is that the rivalries are that much more intense at Maryland than any other team in the ACC. Probably because they don't actually exist...

53n206
12-01-2013, 12:44 PM
And I spent so many years of my life in Baltimore and the Sun had me believing that the only two college football teams in existence were Penn State and U.of MD. Think of what PSU will have to put up with.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2013, 12:44 PM
What you are missing is that the rivalries are that much more intense at Maryland than any other team in the ACC. Probably because they don't actually exist...

Maryland fans are kinda like a cross between Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction, and Kathy Bates in Misery.

Indoor66
12-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Maryland fans are kinda like a cross between Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction, and Kathy Bates in Misery.

Add in Norman Bates as well.

roywhite
12-01-2013, 12:49 PM
And I spent so many years of my life in Baltimore and the Sun had me believing that the only two college football teams in existence were Penn State and U.of MD. Think of what PSU will have to put up with.

Well, Penn State hasn't played them in a while, but the football series stands at 35-1 in favor of PSU. Let the whuppins resume.

Indoor66
12-01-2013, 12:56 PM
I see Md as a perennial (an maybe permanent) athletic wannabe. You know, lemee in, lemee in.

weezie
12-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Once a soup school, always a soup school.

See ya.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Once a soup school, always a soup school.

See ya.

More like a runny gravy school.

Yuck.