PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke v. Florida State, ACC Championship Pre and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

MulletMan
11-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Ding Dong, let's shock the world!

bbq-devil
11-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Who would have thought we would even have this thread in September. Congratulations to Coach Cut and the team. Runaway winner for national coach of the year.

On to Charlotte! Let's shock the world!!!!!'

GO DUKE!

devildeac
11-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Can't wait to see the opening Vegas line for this game...

uh_no
11-30-2013, 03:30 PM

somewhere around 20 i'd imagine

BD80
11-30-2013, 03:31 PM

Let's keep it in double digits

devildeac
11-30-2013, 03:32 PM
I'd guess 27-28 points.

hurleyfor3
11-30-2013, 03:33 PM
I'd guess 27-28 points.

I was gonna say at least four touchdowns. 29 or 30.

davekay1971
11-30-2013, 04:04 PM
The team is going there for the win. Me, I'm just going there. And I will proudly cheer this team on until the final snap, regardless of the score. They've earned every bit of pride we can show them.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 04:12 PM
The team is going there for the win. Me, I'm just going there. And I will proudly cheer this team on until the final snap, regardless of the score. They've earned every bit of pride we can show them.

It is great that this team gets experience with an extra pressure game -- good for the team next year, too.

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 04:18 PM
I'd guess 27-28 points.

The big question is what happens in the Winston investigation. Something could be announced this week. Will be a tense week at FSU.

davekay1971
11-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Got my tickets.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Did Cash come back in the game after going out? Other than that, it looks like we came through without major mishap.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Did Cash come back in the game after going out? Other than that, it looks like we came through without major mishap.
Yes, he did return to the game. Even got called for a penalty... really a misunderstanding caused by improper point of view for the official.

killerleft
11-30-2013, 04:54 PM

You got that right! Duke fans should try and fill up the stadium to honor these guys. Ten wins for the first time ever, are you kidding me? What's the betting line for VA Tech or Miami in this game?:D

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Yes, he did return to the game. Even got called for a penalty... really a misunderstanding caused by improper point of view for the official.

True, forgot that. Thanks.

Really worried about injuries in this one. Knock on wood, no one is too banged up.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 04:57 PM
You got that right! Duke fans should try and fill up the stadium to honor these guys. Ten wins for the first time ever, are you kidding me? What's the betting line for VA Tech or Miami in this game?:D

How many folks from south Florida and the hills of Virginia putting tickets on stubhub right now?

conmanlhughes
11-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Im a little bit worried about this one. Glad we beat Carolina, but playing FSU could turn out to be very unpleasant. A blow out would not be good for our moral and our injury status. Super glad we beat the Holes, cant wait to see Duke play in Charlotte-Again!!! Which bowls are still on the table for us to go to?

NYBri
11-30-2013, 05:09 PM
How many folks from south Florida and the hills of Virginia putting tickets on stubhub right now?

Tons, I'm sure and I hope they sell for a loss.

NYBri
11-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Im a little bit worried about this one. Glad we beat Carolina, but playing FSU could turn out to be very unpleasant. A blow out would not be good for our moral and our injury status. Super glad we beat the Holes, cant wait to see Duke play in Charlotte-Again!!! Which bowls are still on the table for us to go to?

Any outcome will be fine by me.

These guys have heart, but realistically, FSU is on a different talent level.

We need long scoring drives to stay close. They score a lot and very quickly.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Any outcome will be fine by me.

These guys have heart, but realistically, FSU is on a different talent level.

We need long scoring drives to stay close. They score a lot and very quickly.

Would be nice if we could run, and cut the number of possessions down. Our time of possession today was ridonkulous.

DU82
11-30-2013, 05:24 PM
So, will FSU get into a BCS bowl after they lose to us next week?

Mabdul Doobakus
It's going to be an enjoyable week, as sports people are going to have no choice but to talk about Duke football. There will be a lot of excitement around the program, and I would think all the attention can only help recruiting. And then the game is going to start. I hope we can make FSU work for it.

dukelifer

Everyone expects a blowout except the players and coaching staff. You never know how FSU may approach this game. They may play not to get hurt and that could cost them. Duke is going against a top team but they are not a pushover. Will see how it plays out. Hopefully no major injuries but that is possible against any team.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Everyone expects a blowout except the players and coaching staff. You never know how FSU may approach this game. They may play not to get hurt and that could cost them. Duke is going against a top team but they are not a pushover. Will see how it plays out. Hopefully no major injuries but that is possible against any team.

Our coaches have had excellent game plans against very talented players so far.

Biggest challenge yet. Nothing to lose. Everything to gain.

Play hard, play smart, leave it all on the field. Go Duke!

devildeac
11-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Would be nice if we could run, and cut the number of possessions down. Our time of possession today was ridonkulous.

35:23 to 24:37

Very impressive.

uh_no
11-30-2013, 06:18 PM
35:23 to 24:37

Very impressive.

certainly looks really good, especially in light of the muffed punt, which killed what would have been another possession, and the kick return, which spoiled another posession...

okay forget this...I was going to try to make an argument that they simply moved the ball faster on offense than we did, but then I realized we had plenty of possessions that were quick too

good job guys. we had some things that could have cost us, and pulled it out.....

that's the difference now....we can make some mistakes and still win

NYBri
11-30-2013, 06:21 PM

That's really our best chance. Keep their offense off the field, no mistakes or turnovers, keep it close and make a big play on defense.

We need to be perfect. They just need to be good.

Also, I want all their starters...meaning the QB. When we win, I want to hear no excuses.

Namtilal
11-30-2013, 07:28 PM
We'll be playing #1 next week

devildeac
11-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Just posted that on the Bowl vigil thread.

Down goes 'Bama on a 108 yd missed FG return for winning TD with 0:01 left on clock. Duke gets the #1 team in the nation in the ACC Championship Bowl next week. Wow!

Stunning!

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Just posted that on the Bowl vigil thread.

Down goes 'Bama on a 108 yd missed FG return for winning TD with 0:01 left on clock. Duke gets the #1 team in the nation in the ACC Championship Bowl next week. Wow!

Stunning!

Auburn has had two of the most ridiculous finishes I have ever seen, back to back. I thought the UGa win was crazy, but -- wow. Just, wow.

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Auburn has had two of the most ridiculous finishes I have ever seen, back to back. I thought the UGa win was crazy, but -- wow. Just, wow.

Stunning end to Bama's run at yet another NC. Not sure if it is possible for the SEC to be shutout of the championship- will be interesting to see how it plays out

Bob Green
11-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Not sure if it is possible for the SEC to be shutout of the championship...

A one loss Sec team will certainly jump one loss FSU. :cool:

hurleyfor3
11-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Can we get Verne Lundquist to announce? Amazing things tend to happen in games he calls. Especially if one of the teams involved is us.

davekay1971
12-01-2013, 08:23 AM
So we're going to play #1 FSU in 6 days for the ACC championship. Time to start breaking this down. How do we win the game?

Prayer might help, so I'm going with that.

In addition to prayer, how about some football scheming? FSU's offense is pretty good, to say the least. They've been held under 40 once this season, and that's only because they spotted Florida the first half to be neighborly. Usually they're sitting at 40 points at halftime. From what I've seen, they have a dynamic playmaking quarterback who can hurt you equally throwing or running, they have a great run game, and they've got a number of frisbee catching dogs in uniform for receivers.

Duke has some defensive speed in the secondary and is solid at all levels of defense. I'm not sure how much success we'll have getting quick pressure on the QB. So do we try to keep FSU in front of us, avoid the big play, and play bend-but-don't break defense? Or is that playing not to lose, rather than playing to win?

Interested in thoughts, because, frankly, slowing down FSU's offense is something that only FSU has been able to do this season.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2013, 08:49 AM
So we're going to play #1 FSU in 6 days for the ACC championship. Time to start breaking this down. How do we win the game?

Prayer might help, so I'm going with that.

In addition to prayer, how about some football scheming? FSU's offense is pretty good, to say the least. They've been held under 40 once this season, and that's only because they spotted Florida the first half to be neighborly. Usually they're sitting at 40 points at halftime. From what I've seen, they have a dynamic playmaking quarterback who can hurt you equally throwing or running, they have a great run game, and they've got a number of frisbee catching dogs in uniform for receivers.

Duke has some defensive speed in the secondary and is solid at all levels of defense. I'm not sure how much success we'll have getting quick pressure on the QB. So do we try to keep FSU in front of us, avoid the big play, and play bend-but-don't break defense? Or is that playing not to lose, rather than playing to win?

Interested in thoughts, because, frankly, slowing down FSU's offense is something that only FSU has been able to do this season.

FSU is second in the country in scoring, and first in the country in fewest points given up. It is a tall order no matter how you look at it.

Ideally, we will establish the run and short possession passes, eat a lot of clock (like we did yesterday), and limit the big plays on defense. Then, get a break or two, and get to the fourth quarter (Our Quarter) in contention.

The coaches have had good game plans over the last stretch, but to be fair I am sure the other teams that were slaughtered by FSU had some too. We need to play smart, execute to the best of our abilities, and see if the ball bounces our way.

NYBri
12-01-2013, 09:34 AM
It's going to be an enjoyable week, as sports people are going to have no choice but to talk about Duke football. There will be a lot of excitement around the program, and I would think all the attention can only help recruiting. And then the game is going to start. I hope we can make FSU work for it.

Seems to have begun. Last night on Sportscenter they were talking Duke football...but making fun of their chances against FSU. I got from them that Duke was a fluke...more in their attitude than words.

I know that FSU is on a different talent level than every team except a couple, but this Duke team is not a fluke.

FSU's speed is really what sets them apart. That is going to be our challenge.

loran16
12-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Sagarin has us as 23 point dogs. Vegas is generally less enthusiastic about us than Sagarin, so figure 25-28 point dogs.

duketaylor
12-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Early line: Duke +27.5

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

devildeac
12-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I'd guess 27-28 points.

Early line: Duke +27.5

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

For being a football dumass, I can't believe this blind pig found a truffle here (that comment is meant for me and not meant to be an insult to duketaylor) :o:rolleyes: .

captmojo
12-01-2013, 10:55 AM

With your prediction of a 28-24 win for yesterday, I'd prefer to hear your odds.

captmojo
12-01-2013, 10:56 AM
...and don't beat your chest too hard. It could be really bad PR. :D

devildeac
12-01-2013, 11:01 AM
...and don't beat your chest too hard. It could be really bad PR. :D

After yesterday's win, I almost needed C PR:o.

devildeac
12-01-2013, 11:02 AM
With your prediction of a 28-24 win for yesterday, I'd prefer to hear your odds.

Did I really predict that?

Do you want my fantasy or reality prediction?

captmojo
12-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Did I really predict that?

Do you want my fantasy or reality prediction?

Yes. You did. Given the choice, I think all would choose "fantasy". :D

moonpie23
12-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Stunning end to Bama's run at yet another NC. Not sure if it is possible for the SEC to be shutout of the championship- will be interesting to see how it plays out

"roll, tears, roll"

kicker now getting death threats via twitter……..classy bama

BD80
12-01-2013, 12:30 PM
"roll, tears, roll"

kicker now getting death threats via twitter……..classy bama

The REALLY scary fans aren't bright enough to use twitter. I hear the kid was so upset that he tried to end it all - but missed wide left.

tteettimes
12-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Covers dot com early line has FSU 29 pts fav
Think it's great we will be playing the No. 1 team in the nation.
GO DEVILS

moonpie23
12-01-2013, 02:07 PM
the onus will be on FLA ST to "send a message"……..over confident, duke surging…..i love this game….

OldPhiKap
12-01-2013, 02:10 PM
the onus will be on FLA ST to "send a message"……..over confident, duke surging…..i love this game….

As I mentioned on another thread, we are #20 in the new polls and FSU is #1.

So, using the S curve, us against FSU is basically a #1 v. #4/#5 seed. Hell, we can do that.

Go Duke!

nyesq83
12-01-2013, 03:19 PM
I believe in this team, and I believe they have the capacity to beat FSU.

It occurs to me that Charlotte won't exactly be a neutral site - based on last year's bowl game, there will be many anti-Duke fans in attendance.

Of course, there will be many pro-Duke fans there, Duke played in this stadium last year, and many of Duke's players are from Charlotte.

29 points is a big spread, I believe Duke will beat that at least.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2013, 03:29 PM

It occurs to me that Charlotte won't exactly be a neutral site - based on last year's bowl game, there will be many anti-Duke fans in attendance.

Of course, there will be many pro-Duke fans there, Duke played in this stadium last year, and many of Duke's players are from Charlotte.

FSU has a head start on ticket sales, hotel reservations and the like. The fans continue with the same intensity that accompanied their membership in the SEC... Alabama beat them to the "Rammer, Jammer" cheer, but the culture is there to work at intimidating opponents with noise, words and numbers.

loran16
12-01-2013, 03:32 PM

Huh? At the Belk Bowl there weren't many anti-Duke fans who weren't Cinci fans. I wouldn't expect non-FSU fans to show up to root against us.

kingboozer
12-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Huh? At the Belk Bowl there weren't many anti-Duke fans who weren't Cinci fans. I wouldn't expect non-FSU fans to show up to root against us.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Duke following last year at the Belk Bowl, hope that's the same this time around!

davekay1971
12-01-2013, 06:16 PM

Agreed. Although I think, with continued success, the anti-Duke Football hate will come, right now the anti-Duke crowd probably isn't motivated enough about football to buy tickets to come cheer ABD. Duke football still isn't loathed with the venom of Duke basketball, where Carolina fans will pay good money to cheer on Directional State University against us if the opportunity allows.

I imagine the stadium will have a big number of FSU fans who are there to party in Charlotte and enjoy their presumed coronation and stepping-stone to the BCS title game. But it'll be just them and us.

jimsumner
12-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I cannot imagine non-aligned fans buying tickets for this game and showing up just to cheer against Duke because they hate Duke.

wilson
12-01-2013, 08:04 PM
I cannot imagine non-aligned fans buying tickets for this game and showing up just to cheer against Duke because they hate Duke.Especially since it's supposed to be chilly with a distinct chance of rain.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2013, 08:13 PM
I cannot imagine non-aligned fans buying tickets for this game and showing up just to cheer against Duke because they hate Duke.
Could be very expensive jeering, couldn't it?

nyesq83
12-01-2013, 08:46 PM
There were plenty of UNC fans at the game last year, many of whom started leaving before the end of the game, before the disastrous ending.

I saw this with my own eyes: people wearing baby blue - and I talked to some of them.

Maybe the same people won't bother to come next Saturday.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2013, 08:53 PM
There were plenty of UNC fans at the game last year, many of whom started leaving before the end of the game, before the disastrous ending.

I saw this with my own eyes: people wearing baby blue - and I talked to some of them.

Maybe the same people won't bother to come next Saturday.
They bought their tickets early thinking Charlotte was their destination.

Olympic Fan
12-01-2013, 08:54 PM
FSU has a head start on ticket sales, hotel reservations and the like. The fans continue with the same intensity that accompanied their membership in the SEC... Alabama beat them to the "Rammer, Jammer" cheer, but the culture is there to work at intimidating opponents with noise, words and numbers.

Don't know about overall sales, but Cut sat Sunday night that Duke sold out its allotment of tickets to the championship game in less than 24 hours.

Not sure that the FSU turnover will be overpowering. I have friends down there who say that many Noles are saving up for the very expensive trip to the national title game in Pasadena and will skip the ACCCG to save for that one.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Don't know about overall sales, but Cut sat Sunday night that Duke sold out its allotment of tickets to the championship game in less than 24 hours.

Not sure that the FSU turnover will be overpowering. I have friends down there who say that many Noles are saving up for the very expensive trip to the national title game in Pasadena and will skip the ACCCG to save for that one.

Lots of tomahawks staying home would be marvelous.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Absolutely no one giving us a chance against FSU.

Maybe Cut should see if K can come talk to the team about a game long ago against the undefeated, unbeatable UNLV Running Rebels.

"Send out the champions, send in the clowns." All things are possible.

devildeac
12-01-2013, 09:35 PM

Maybe Cut should see if K can come talk to the team about a game long ago against the undefeated, unbeatable UNLV Running Rebels.

My wife and I had that very discussion this AM on our walk. No one anywhere gave K and his guys a chance in that game. Except K and his guys.

gcashwell
12-01-2013, 11:05 PM
As a duke fan and Bama fan, I need this victory for the sake of many of my friends and family. Personally, I'm ok, but the state needs Duke's help!

chaosmage
12-01-2013, 11:15 PM

I've noticed this as well. As in, already putting Florida State in the championship game. I understand how good they are, but you always have to play the game. See: Iron Bowl 2013.

Dukeface88
12-01-2013, 11:46 PM

I don't think they need it. This team is already crazy enough to believe that they can beat anyone in the country. And after watching them this season, I'm willing to hang out in asylum with them.

matt1
12-01-2013, 11:51 PM
As a duke fan and Bama fan, I need this victory for the sake of many of my friends and family. Personally, I'm ok, but the state needs Duke's help!

You also need Michigan St.'s help. But, I agree that a rematch of the Iron Bowl might be the best possible game (especially with Florida St. excluded as we will beat them).

gcashwell
12-02-2013, 12:19 AM
You also need Michigan St.'s help. But, I agree that a rematch of the Iron Bowl might be the best possible game (especially with Florida St. excluded as we will beat them).

An iron bowl rematch would be interesting. I think FSU may be more than Bamas young defense can handle (see second to last td of iron bowl).

In all seriousness, I don't know how they would safely pull off an iron bowl ncg. There would be a lot of fights.

I don't think duke has a good chance to beat FSU, but Duke doesn't seem to make many bonehead plays. That always helps in these types of big games. Duke has already earned a lot of respect here in AL. A win Saturday would be huge for the future of the program.

Mabdul Doobakus
12-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Every once in a while in sports you have one of those "hand of God" type games where every bounce and every call seems to go in one team's favor. Maybe Saturday night's game can be one of those games. Short of that, the realist in me says we can not hang with FSU for 60 minutes. The talent gap is just too big. As much as we love Jamison Crowder, I'm pretty sure they have 5 Jamison Crowders, as well as similar elite talent at every position, not to mention maybe the best player in the country at QB. We will need lots of breaks. It CAN happen. Anything can happen. But upsets of this nature are extremely rare in football, and I can't really blame national commentators if they openly mock the idea of us winning.

dukelifer
12-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Send those loyal Bama fans to Charlotte to cheer for Duke! It is the only chance they have to get back to the NC game now. I am serious.

12-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Duke has no chance, don't kid yourself, but man they have had a great season, I hope they keep it within 10

JBDuke
12-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Duke has no chance, don't kid yourself, but man they have had a great season, I hope they keep it within 10

Before the season started, what would you have rated Duke's chances to go 10-2? I'm not expecting anything, but I'm hoping.

BD80
12-02-2013, 08:31 AM
A District Attorney in Florida could greatly change FSU's chances in the championship game(s).

Wait, even as I typed that I realized how ridiculous that sounds. Justice delayed is ... just enough to get a natty ... and reelected.

moonpie23
12-02-2013, 08:32 AM
the allegations against winston won't have any bearing on their game against us, but they COULD on a title game…..i think it's definitely going to have an effect on his heisman votes….

BD80
12-02-2013, 08:41 AM
the allegations against winston won't have any bearing on their game against us, but they COULD on a title game…..i think it's definitely going to have an effect on his heisman votes….

If he is charged, he is automatically suspended. There really is no reason to delay the decision, except to allow him to play more games. If they are not going to charge him, why wait to announce it?

moonpie23
12-02-2013, 08:44 AM
remember:

unfeasible (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJP2epDtbE)
nonviable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJP2epDtbE)
unworkable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJP2epDtbE)
impractical (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJP2epDtbE)
not able (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJP2epDtbE)
inconceivable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJP2epDtbE)
absurd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJP2epDtbE)
unthinkable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJP2epDtbE)
unimaginable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJP2epDtbE)
won't happen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJP2epDtbE)

Farlan
12-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Send those loyal Bama fans to Charlotte to cheer for Duke! It is the only chance they have to get back to the NC game now. I am serious.

I'm sure Cut would love to put his Alma Mater back into the National Championship race!

12-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Before the season started, what would you have rated Duke's chances to go 10-2? I'm not expecting anything, but I'm hoping.

Yeah, you're right, Im with you, go duke

Dukehky
12-02-2013, 10:47 AM
I want this game to stay competitive for more than a quarter, that's a realistic expectation. We'll see, maybe things will go Duke's way the whole game, but FSU is really, really good.

hudlow
12-02-2013, 11:02 AM
I am by nature pragmatic and a realist. But when it comes to Duke and their great sports programs - I believe anything can happen.

Our guys wouldn't show up if they thought they were gonna lose.

....and I'm gonna watch the game.

Go Duke!

SoCalDukeFan
12-02-2013, 12:06 PM

The last thing I want to see is an Alabama team that could not qualify for the SEC title game play in the NC game.

You gotta win in on the field.

I would have more respect for the SEC if they would not schedule the likes of Chattanooga every year at home.
SEC teams really play about 10 games each year and the rest are walkovers.

Of course Florida managed to lose a walkover.

SoCal

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-02-2013, 12:38 PM
The pundits and other public speakers are going to call this team David until this team or the next one becomes Goliath.

Jeremy Cash has already served notice: "I just think people need to believe that Duke football is going to be a powerhouse. Whether you want to believe it or not, we are going to run the ACC."

fisheyes
12-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Opening as 29 point underdogs.

We'll shock the world!

Go Duke!!!

Ozzie...you're up!

loran16
12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Opening as 29 point underdogs.

We'll shock the world!

Go Duke!!!

Ozzie...you're up!

Actually opened as 27.5 point underdogs, and the line has moved.

johnb
12-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Playing in both a championship game and a bowl game is an accomplishment in itself but also tremendous groundwork for next year's team and for recruiting.

It would be terrific if our excellent college team could hang close with their NFL-ready team. I can certainly see how the line should be 4 touchdowns, and, frankly, I'd view anything less than 3 TD's as a moral victory.

They might get derailed slightly by the pressure of being # 1, of the Heisman/legal focus, of playing as a heavy favorite, of playing the week after their rivalry game and weeks after they'd begun to assume they'd be playing for the NC, and/or playing in a cold drizzle. I recall a FSU player years ago saying they could beat Duke wearing their practice cleats (or maybe it was without cleats, but it wasn't friendly), and we can assume that they might assume--like VaTech, Miami, Carolina, and espn, that we've been more lucky than good. Those details, a couple of Jameisian interceptions, and our disciplined effort could make it a tight ball game. And that is one thing we've done better than Florida State: win close games.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Playing in both a championship game and a bowl game is an accomplishment in itself but also tremendous groundwork for next year's team and for recruiting.

It would be terrific if our excellent college team could hang close with their NFL-ready team. I can certainly see how the line should be 4 touchdowns, and, frankly, I'd view anything less than 3 TD's as a moral victory.

They might get derailed slightly by the pressure of being # 1, of the Heisman/legal focus, of playing as a heavy favorite, of playing the week after their rivalry game and weeks after they'd begun to assume they'd be playing for the NC, and/or playing in a cold drizzle. I recall a FSU player years ago saying they could beat Duke wearing their practice cleats (or maybe it was without cleats, but it wasn't friendly), and we can assume that they might assume--like VaTech, Miami, Carolina, and espn, that we've been more lucky than good. Those details, a couple of Jameisian interceptions, and our disciplined effort could make it a tight ball game. And that is one thing we've done better than Florida State: win close games.

The Running Rebels, in 1991, blew out every team they played. Got to the Final Four undefeated, and lined up against a team they had absolutely destroyed just the year before.

"Send out the Champions, send in the clowns"

But if the game gets tight at the end -- good things can happen.

loran16
12-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Playing in both a championship game and a bowl game is an accomplishment in itself but also tremendous groundwork for next year's team and for recruiting. .

Cut said he had to cancel some recruiting trips he had scheduled for this week. I imagine phone calls to those recruits will be difficult:

"Hi, this is Coach Cut. I'm sorry I couldn't come to your game this week, but I was too busy preparing for the ACC Championship game. You know, because Duke is the ACC Coastal Champs. I hope you won't mind if we reschedule"

dukelifer
12-02-2013, 03:10 PM
A District Attorney in Florida could greatly change FSU's chances in the championship game(s).

Wait, even as I typed that I realized how ridiculous that sounds. Justice delayed is ... just enough to get a natty ... and reelected.

The State Attorney investigating the case, Willie Meggs, is an FSU grad who has had a lengthy history of rumored involvement in political corruption. You can google it for details. This is a messy, complicated situation and likely not to be resolved soon.

freshmanjs
12-02-2013, 03:22 PM
The Running Rebels, in 1991, blew out every team they played. Got to the Final Four undefeated, and lined up against a team they had absolutely destroyed just the year before.

"Send out the Champions, send in the clowns"

But if the game gets tight at the end -- good things can happen.

that's true, but the Duke team that beat them was ranked #6 heading into the tournament. that would be more analogous to FSU losing to a team like Missouri or OK State. Duke winning on Saturday would be a much, much bigger upset than Duke 1991 over UNLV was.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2013, 03:44 PM
that's true, but the Duke team that beat them was ranked #6 heading into the tournament. that would be more analogous to FSU losing to a team like Missouri or OK State. Duke winning on Saturday would be a much, much bigger upset than Duke 1991 over UNLV was.

Agreed, although like I said before (half-jokingly) -- with the S curve, it's basically a #1 seed against a #4/#5 seed.

Mal
12-02-2013, 07:13 PM
I mean, really, the fact that we're discussing this is freaking ASTOUNDING. I don't have much to add, but a few random, unconnected thoughts:

- I went to our game at Notre Dame back in '07, and we were...I don't know. Is atrocious even strong enough? It was incredibly discouraging. We were awful and high schoolish in every facet of the game. ND was having its worst season in, like, ever, and they still beat us handily. To have come this far, in a weak ACC or not, in only 6 years, is really remarkable. My second college team (hometown allegiance) has also been trending upward, and people there ask me if it's a comparable thing at Duke. No, it's not. That's a rebuilding of a program that has had some periods of respectability and even some periods of relevance, in the past 60 years. Cutcliffe started with NOTHING. This was quite possibly THE worst program (in terms of W's and L's only, of course) in D-1 football over the 20 years prior to Cutcliffe, and if you exclude the brief flowering during Spurrier's time on campus, we've gone through a half century of utter irrelevance prior to now.

- I think reasonable goals for Saturday could be: (a) be close at the end of a quarter (b) be down less than 14 at the half (something no one has accomplished all season), and (c) score more than 17 against them (something no one but BC has managed, but I honestly think we can; see next comment. We can't beat them, but I think we can score on them).

- FSU's offense is what scares me most. I know the defense has given up less points than anyone all season, but look at the offenses they've faced. Beyond Clemson and BC, no one, other than Miami in the first half before their best player got hurt (and they were in the game at that point, it should be noted). Alabama would have easily led the nation in scoring defense if they had Idaho, Wake, Maryland, Florida, Syracuse, Bethune-Cookman and Nevada on the schedule. Even Clemson and BC aren't in the same league as the Oregon, Baylor, Oklahoma, A&M, etc. offenses. Don't get me wrong; the eye test on FSU's defense tells me they're really good, but it's the video game offense that sets them apart. I don't know how we keep them under 45 points unless we manage to prolong numerous possessions and get a couple silly turnovers out of them.

- We're on in prime time on ABC Saturday! Wow! Downside = having to listen to The Brent. Upside is having Kirk Herbstreit praise your program and coach to high heaven, whether we're getting stomped or not.

- The dark cloud to the silver lining of that incredible Iron Bowl finish is that for 48 hours no one in the world of sports media could talk about ANYTHING else regarding college football. That included us. I eagerly awaited some highlights on Sportscenter late Saturday night, and they literally spent 45 minutes of the hour broadcast on that game and its BCS implications. Our moment of glory is completely lost in the noise for the moment, and likely everyone will still be talking about Alabama/Auburn come Saturday. Oh, well.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I mean, really, the fact that we're discussing this is freaking ASTOUNDING. I don't have much to add, but a few random, unconnected thoughts:

- I went to our game at Notre Dame back in '07, and we were...I don't know. Is atrocious even strong enough? It was incredibly discouraging. We were awful and high schoolish in every facet of the game. ND was having its worst season in, like, ever, and they still beat us handily. To have come this far, in a weak ACC or not, in only 6 years, is really remarkable. My second college team (hometown allegiance) has also been trending upward, and people there ask me if it's a comparable thing at Duke. No, it's not. That's a rebuilding of a program that has had some periods of respectability and even some periods of relevance, in the past 60 years. Cutcliffe started with NOTHING. This was quite possibly THE worst program (in terms of W's and L's only, of course) in D-1 football over the 20 years prior to Cutcliffe, and if you exclude the brief flowering during Spurrier's time on campus, we've gone through a half century of utter irrelevance prior to now.

- I think reasonable goals for Saturday could be: (a) be close at the end of a quarter (b) be down less than 14 at the half (something no one has accomplished all season), and (c) score more than 17 against them (something no one but BC has managed, but I honestly think we can; see next comment. We can't beat them, but I think we can score on them).

- FSU's offense is what scares me most. I know the defense has given up less points than anyone all season, but look at the offenses they've faced. Beyond Clemson and BC, no one, other than Miami in the first half before their best player got hurt (and they were in the game at that point, it should be noted). Alabama would have easily led the nation in scoring defense if they had Idaho, Wake, Maryland, Florida, Syracuse, Bethune-Cookman and Nevada on the schedule. Even Clemson and BC aren't in the same league as the Oregon, Baylor, Oklahoma, A&M, etc. offenses. Don't get me wrong; the eye test on FSU's defense tells me they're really good, but it's the video game offense that sets them apart. I don't know how we keep them under 45 points unless we manage to prolong numerous possessions and get a couple silly turnovers out of them.

- We're on in prime time on ABC Saturday! Wow! Downside = having to listen to The Brent. Upside is having Kirk Herbstreit praise your program and coach to high heaven, whether we're getting stomped or not.

- The dark cloud to the silver lining of that incredible Iron Bowl finish is that for 48 hours no one in the world of sports media could talk about ANYTHING else regarding college football. That included us. I eagerly awaited some highlights on Sportscenter late Saturday night, and they literally spent 45 minutes of the hour broadcast on that game and its BCS implications. Our moment of glory is completely lost in the noise for the moment, and likely everyone will still be talking about Alabama/Auburn come Saturday. Oh, well.
Let 'em talk! That's what they do best! We have the real football miracle created with hard work, perseverance and a plan. Nobody can take that away!

devildeac
12-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Let 'em talk! That's what they do best! We have the real football miracle created with hard work, perseverance and a plan. Nobody can take that away!

Jimbo Fischer has certainly taken notice:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/12/01/3425222/always-a-planner-david-cutcliffe.html

"Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher, who coached against Cutcliffe in the SEC, concurred. It was three or four weeks ago, he said, when Duke first popped up on his radar as a potential championship game opponent.

“It's been a tremendous accomplishment, but if you know David, David always finds a way to get things done. It doesn't surprise me that David was able to do that, but it is a tremendous accomplishment what he's been able to do considering the history and what's been done there before. My hat's off to him. He does a tremendous job.”

Doesn't sound like he's going to "overlook" us. Maybe his players won't listen to him:rolleyes::o.

killerleft
12-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Personally, I'm getting way, way tired of hearing about betting lines. Anyone paying attention should have realized by now that this Duke team has played much better than the sum of its individual parts all season. If this trend continues, we'll be proud of Duke Football this Saturday, no matter the outcome. I don't need to know how people who wager their hard-earned money on amateur sports are feeling about our chances. Why not ask the participants in Duke Blue about it? After all, their opinions are the ones that really mean something.

Go Duke!!

freshmanjs
12-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Personally, I'm getting way, way tired of hearing about betting lines. Anyone paying attention should have realized by now that this Duke team has played much better than the sum of its individual parts all season. If this trend continues, we'll be proud of Duke Football this Saturday, no matter the outcome. I don't need to know how people who wager their hard-earned money on amateur sports are feeling about our chances. Why not ask the participants in Duke Blue about it? After all, their opinions are the ones that really mean something.

Go Duke!!

eh...the collective wisdom of betters is actually a pretty good predictor of outcomes. one of the better predictors out there.

Acymetric
12-02-2013, 08:03 PM

Go Duke!!

Aren't we 10-2 against the spread?

wilson
12-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Aren't we 10-2 against the spread?Yes, exactly. Collective wisdom be damned. This team just operates with a delightful sense of obliviousness to that extraneous stuff. A great testament to Coach Cut's message and the degree to which our players have bought into it.

freshmanjs
12-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Yes, exactly. Collective wisdom be damned. This team just operates with a delightful sense of obliviousness to that extraneous stuff. A great testament to Coach Cut's message and the degree to which our players have bought into it.

i don't think other teams are (or are not) performing well because they are failing to be oblivious enough to point spreads. i love our team, but don't at all think that is the difference. also, curious how you know whether the team is oblivious or not to point spreads. do you have inside info on that?

wilson
12-02-2013, 08:35 PM
do you have inside info on that?No, of course not. I'm sure they have some awareness of the general prognosis on this Saturday's game. I've just enjoyed watching them play within themselves all season and defy expectations since Labor Day. Do we really need "inside info" to recognize that?

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Yes, exactly. Collective wisdom be damned. This team just operates with a delightful sense of obliviousness to that extraneous stuff. A great testament to Coach Cut's message and the degree to which our players have bought into it.
Maybe this correlates with your point. Coach Cutcliffe has clearly defined plans for various intervals of time. The team is focused on those plans, not so much the extraneous influences of all the discussions and predictions flying about.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/12/01/3425222/always-a-planner-david-cutcliffe.html

bleudiable
12-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Some have suggested that the team watch "Rocky" before Saturday's game, but remember that Rocky didn't beat Apollo until the sequel. But I've had this clip from the original running through my head since we were awarded the opportunity to take on the Noles (apologies for the quality, but it's the only posting of just this clip): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxUHAJIiISQ

Go Devils! Do us proud!

JBDuke
12-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Seems that Junior Feinstein doesn't think too highly of his alma mater's chances, but that's nothing new for John when it comes to Duke football. Here's the money quote from his latest diatribe in the Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/florida-state-ohio-state-are-on-track-for-bcs-title-game-but-only-one-of-them-deserves-it/2013/12/01/730e9d74-5acd-11e3-a49b-90a0e156254b_story.html):

Florida State is going to play in the championship game. There isn’t any doubt about that. The Seminoles were held to fewer than 40 points Saturday (37) for the first time all season. As heartwarming as Duke’s improbable 10-2 season and run to the ACC championship game may be, the line on the game should probably be Duke-plus-infinity, and the smart play would be to give the points.

hurleyfor3
12-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Duke +∞? Is that aleph-null or aleph-one? Hold on while I take out a loan for Graham's Number of dollars.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Seems that Junior Feinstein doesn't think too highly of his alma mater's chances, but that's nothing new for John when it comes to Duke football. Here's the money quote from his latest diatribe in the Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/florida-state-ohio-state-are-on-track-for-bcs-title-game-but-only-one-of-them-deserves-it/2013/12/01/730e9d74-5acd-11e3-a49b-90a0e156254b_story.html):

More quotes for the locker room wall, more newspaper for the bird cage.

Thanks, John!

-bdbd
12-03-2013, 02:30 AM
Also in that same article John disses Cut and his Coach-of-the-Year prospects, arguing for Auburn's Head Coach as the "obvious" Coach of the Year candidate.

www.washingtonpost.com/sports/...4b_story_1.html

"If Malzahn doesn’t win every coach-of-the-year award ever invented, there should be a federal investigation."

:rolleyes:

Papa John
12-03-2013, 03:22 AM
Also in that same article John disses Cut and his Coach-of-the-Year prospects, arguing for Auburn's Head Coach as the "obvious" Coach of the Year candidate.

"If Malzahn doesn’t win every coach-of-the-year award ever invented, there should be a federal investigation."

To be fair, I think Malzahn has a pretty strong argument, too. Going from 3-9, 0-8 in the SEC to beating defending national champs Alabama for the right to play in the SEC Championship game and, with a win, a top-3 ranking and BCS berth (at minimum) and potential shot at the national championship itself... That's a pretty darn impressive leap. Personally, I think Cutcliffe's achievement at Duke this season is more impressive, given the history of our program, but I'm also clearly biased. I think both are worthy achievements, and wouldn't have a problem with Malzahn winning it.

sagegrouse
12-03-2013, 05:33 AM
Some have suggested that the team watch "Rocky" before Saturday's game, but remember that Rocky didn't beat Apollo until the sequel. But I've had this clip from the original running through my head since we were awarded the opportunity to take on the Noles (apologies for the quality, but it's the only posting of just this clip): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxUHAJIiISQ

Go Devils! Do us proud!

True enough, M. Diable, but dissing Duke was merely an olive on the Feinstein buffet table. Feinstein went after Ohio State and the Big Ten (base 12), arguing that the conference was horribly weak and that no way should Ohio State be picked for the championship game over one of the top SEC teams. His analogy was March Madness, where every team is expected to have losses on the record.

Maybe John F. is switching his focus to the Midwest, in preparation for Maryland entering the Big Ten. And, of course, with his first book, Season on the Brink, dealing with Bobby Knight and Indiana basketball, this should be familiar territory. It sounds like a good career mover -- for John and .... us.

sagegrouse

arnie
12-03-2013, 07:20 AM
True enough, M. Diable, but dissing Duke was merely an olive on the Feinstein buffet table. Feinstein went after Ohio State and the Big Ten (base 12), arguing that the conference was horribly weak and that no way should Ohio State be picked for the championship game over one of the top SEC teams. His analogy was March Madness, where every team is expected to have losses on the record.

Maybe John F. is switching his focus to the Midwest, in preparation for Maryland entering the Big Ten. And, of course, with his first book, Season on the Brink, dealing with Bobby Knight and Indiana basketball, this should be familiar territory. It sounds like a good career mover -- for John and .... us.

sagegrouse
I actually agree with most of Feinstein's article. He recognizes the weakness of the Big whatever (listen to Tim Brando one day- he's convinced ACC is stronger than Big W). The infinity comment isn't serious of course, he's simply stating FSU talent is superior and they will not lose to Duke. What other neutral observers disagree? When Duke football was a disgrace he got carried away with his disgust. Since then he's been fair IMO.

johnb
12-03-2013, 07:35 AM
To be fair, I think Malzahn has a pretty strong argument, too. Going from 3-9, 0-8 in the SEC to beating defending national champs Alabama for the right to play in the SEC Championship game and, with a win, a top-3 ranking and BCS berth (at minimum) and potential shot at the national championship itself... That's a pretty darn impressive leap. Personally, I think Cutcliffe's achievement at Duke this season is more impressive, given the history of our program, but I'm also clearly biased. I think both are worthy achievements, and wouldn't have a problem with Malzahn winning it.

Malzahn's set-up of the return was amazing. Theirs W/L reversal is striking.

OTOH, They won two games on miracles, and, while Auburn lost a lot of games last year, they still had a lot of talent, and Malzahn essentially inherited an elite program with elite players. Going from very good to great is a small step. Going from uncompetitive to nationally ranked is tougher. Cutcliffe should win.

killerleft
12-03-2013, 08:03 AM

I'm surprised at the number of Duke fans (especially) who will still read anything by Feinstein. Perhaps he is an amusement for some, but he went way beyond that for me when he became Nancy Grace. Maybe it IS better to know one's enemy, but the stripes have been on the tiger for a long, long time.

Sure, put it up on the bulletin board, but I very much doubt our Devils need a bulletin board for THIS game!!

GO DUKE!!

Merlindevildog91
12-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Maybe Governor Martin can be the head of the investigation, since he has experience investigating athletic improprieties. Oh, wait....

Malzahn's turnaround of Auburn is impressive, yes, but the game-winning TD against Georgia was a product of pure luck (or answered Hail Marys, or the football gods smiling down), and the last-second win against Alabama was more of a function of Nick Saban's, er, overthinking, IMHO.

alteran
12-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Another anecdote on how far Duke has come.

I went with my mother to an Iron Duke luncheon, and Cutcliffe came. He told us how proud he was of Duke's field this year. (Which seemed an odd thing to be proud of). But then he told us how bad the field was-- THE FIELD-- when he got here. It was spotty. It was not really level. It was so poorly maintained as to be laughable.

The Duke grounds crew, he said, had been painting the field using unthinned paint. (Normally, you thin the paint a lot when you paint the field). He said they were essentially painting the ground and not the grass.

Over the years, in places where the paint had been painted over and over, the ground had the consistency of cement. In Cutcliffe's first year at Duke, there was a strange play where Duke had gotten a guy open and he had been on a breakaway, but fell down smack dab in the middle of the field for no reason.

Cutcliffe said that, in fact, he had tripped over the Duke logo, which, because it was so hard, was like having bricks in the middle of the gridiron.

He said it took him years to get that field back in shape-- a real metaphor for the Duke program at large, and how far it has come.

Mal
12-03-2013, 11:28 AM
To be fair, I think Malzahn has a pretty strong argument, too...I think both are worthy achievements, and wouldn't have a problem with Malzahn winning it.

I think that's clearly right, but the point of contention is, at least for me, Feinstein's (typically) ridiculously over the top proclamation, implying that you'd be insane to vote for Cutcliffe or anyone else. That's a far cry from saying "I think it should be Malzahn, while recognizing you could make a case for Cutcliffe" or something similar. Instead he preemptively insults anyone who would dare have a different opinion.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2013, 11:31 AM
I think that's clearly right, but the point of contention is, at least for me, Feinstein's (typically) ridiculously over the top proclamation, implying that you'd be insane to vote for Cutcliffe or anyone else. That's a far cry from saying "I think it should be Malzahn, while recognizing you could make a case for Cutcliffe" or something similar. Instead he preemptively insults anyone who would dare have a different opinion.

"If you can't be right, we wrong as loud as you can be."

-- Lucy van Pelt.

Highlander
12-03-2013, 12:02 PM

I agree. My issue with Malzahn is that Auburn just won a NC in 2009-2010. That means the players recruited that year that he inherited are redshirt sophomores and juniors. So it's not like Malzahn started with nothing; he's building on a foundation that was already pretty strong. His pedigree right now reminds me of Fred Goldsmith, who succeeded in 1994 primarily with the remnants of players recruited by Steve Spurrier (or so the argument goes). However, it's worth noting that Goldsmith won a coach of the year awards for that season.

I would phrase it this way - which do you think is tougher - taking Duke Football from irrelevance to an ACC Coastal Championship over a period of 6 years, or taking an Auburn team who won a NC in 2010, but fell back for two straight years, to the top 5 in year 3?

I know I'm biased, but I think the 6 year journey of Cutcliffe is more impressive than the 1 year accomplishment of Malzahn, especially considering the talent levels both started with as well as the two incredible breaks Auburn caught to get to where they are. Also, don't forget that Duke was picked LAST preseason in the ACC Coastal (Auburn was 9th preseason in the SEC), so while both have exceeded expectations, Duke has had further to climb than Auburn.

I think both will win awards this year. But it would be a travesty if Cutcliffe doesn't win at least one COY award.

kingboozer
12-03-2013, 12:44 PM
The thing that irritates me the most is the absolute disrespect our team is getting and the assumption that FSU is going to steam roll us. I hope this will be motivation enough for our guys!

freshmanjs
12-03-2013, 12:45 PM
The thing that irritates me the most is the absolute disrespect our team is getting and the assumption that FSU is going to steam roll us. I hope this will be motivation enough for our guys!

I don't see it as disrespect. FSU has steamrolled everybody.

ForkFondler
12-03-2013, 12:50 PM
The thing that irritates me the most is the absolute disrespect our team is getting and the assumption that FSU is going to steam roll us.

FSU has been steamrolling everybody. That might have something to do with it.

Mabdul Doobakus
12-03-2013, 01:01 PM
I agree. My issue with Malzahn is that Auburn just won a NC in 2009-2010. That means the players recruited that year that he inherited are redshirt sophomores and juniors. So it's not like Malzahn started with nothing; he's building on a foundation that was already pretty strong. His pedigree right now reminds me of Fred Goldsmith, who succeeded in 1994 primarily with the remnants of players recruited by Steve Spurrier (or so the argument goes). However, it's worth noting that Goldsmith won a coach of the year awards for that season.

This is exactly the point I was going to make. I'm sure Malzahn has done a great job this year. They have a couple of miracle wins the last couple of weeks, but at least they were in position to get those miracle wins. But Auburn is a traditional powerhouse and a one loss season isn't exactly breaking new ground for them. You're largely rewarding Malzahn because his predecessor was a disaster.

I think you could easily make an argument for Jimbo Fisher, whose team has been resoundingly crushing every opponent. I don't really see how you could do the job any better. But Cutcliffe should definitely be in the mix.

jimsumner
12-03-2013, 04:00 PM
This is exactly the point I was going to make. I'm sure Malzahn has done a great job this year. They have a couple of miracle wins the last couple of weeks, but at least they were in position to get those miracle wins. But Auburn is a traditional powerhouse and a one loss season isn't exactly breaking new ground for them. You're largely rewarding Malzahn because his predecessor was a disaster.

I think you could easily make an argument for Jimbo Fisher, whose team has been resoundingly crushing every opponent. I don't really see how you could do the job any better. But Cutcliffe should definitely be in the mix.

Auburn has had two undefeated seasons this century.

Duke has had three winless seasons this century.

Apples and oranges, methinks.

No question FSU has been steamrolling people this season. No question they might steamroll Duke. They're number one for a reason.

But let me run an alternative scenario.

Virginia Tech is playing FSU for the ACC title Saturday.

VT is 10-2, 6-2 in the ACC, clear winner of the Coastal. VT is ranked 20th in the AP, the coaches poll and the BCS Standings. Five wins over bowl eligible teams, two over teams ranked at the time.

Think we'd be getting a different narrative about the title game? Think people might still be taking Duke a little lightly? Think Duke hasn't noticed this? Think coaches don't love playing the we-don't-get-any-respect-card?

DueBlevil
12-03-2013, 04:20 PM

VT is 10-2, 6-2 in the ACC, clear winner of the Coastal. VT is ranked 20th in the AP, the coaches poll and the BCS Standings. Five wins over bowl eligible teams, two over teams ranked at the time.

Think we'd be getting a different narrative about the title game? Think people might still be taking Duke a little lightly? Think Duke hasn't noticed this? Think coaches don't love playing the we-don't-get-any-respect-card?

I was thinking about this too, and I completely agree with you. In fact, I think even if this year's VT team (i.e. the one that went 8-4 with losses to Duke, BC, Maryland) had gone to the ACCCG, the narrative would be different.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2013, 04:28 PM
I was thinking about this too, and I completely agree with you. In fact, I think even if this year's VT team (i.e. the one that went 8-4 with losses to Duke, BC, Maryland) had gone to the ACCCG, the narrative would be different.

There are folks who project VT jumping over Duke for the Chic-fil-A Bowl. So, I think your point is right on.

I don't mind low expectations from those who have not followed this program. They'll learn soon enough. It may be Saturday, it may be down the road, but we're not your father's Duke team. (Assuming you were born in the 1990's or after, of course).

Hell, let the line go up to 35.

sagegrouse
12-03-2013, 04:32 PM
There are folks who project VT jumping over Duke for the Chic-fil-A Bowl. So, I think your point is right on.

I don't mind low expectations from those who have not followed this program. They'll learn soon enough. It may be Saturday, it may be down the road, but we're not your father's Duke team. (Assuming you were born in the 1990's or after, of course).

Well, the other point is that we damned well earned the lack of respect that we are seeing. We should enjoy the ease of low expectations. It'll probably be harder next year, as teams will be gunning for us.

sage

OldPhiKap
12-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Well, the other point is that we damned well earned the lack of respect that we are seeing. We should enjoy the ease of low expectations. It'll probably be harder next year, as teams will be gunning for us.

sage

Agreed. We made a bowl last year, and then were picked last in the division this year. Was it due to a collective in-depth study of rosters and the program? Doubtful. It was the lazy "Duke alway stinks" fall-back. The way you break that is to show you have staying power.

We have a good football team. We have a good football program. We have a good football coach who knows how to keep the team focused and to manage a game (on the field and between the ears). We have playmakers in all three phases of the game.

We have nothing to lose on Saturday.

If things do not go well, we are in good company. If things go well, we're the only ones to hang with the 'Noles. And if we hang with them until the fourth quarter, well -- we are in our comfort zone, and they will certainly be out of theirs.

Obviously a huge challenge. But not an insurmountable one.

DueBlevil
12-03-2013, 05:15 PM
And if we hang with them until the fourth quarter, well -- we are in our comfort zone, and they will certainly be out of theirs.

I would be really interested to see what happens if we can achieve this. Does the redshirt freshman quarterback finally get a little tight? Maybe make an uncharacteristic mistake? Let's hope we get the opportunity to see it.

devildeac
12-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Let's make it 38. Still room on the bulletin board in the Duke locker room for more motivation for Cut, his staff and our players. Every little bit of extra effort and preparation will help us;).

nyesq83
12-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Be careful what you wish for...

It's gonna be a fun weekend in Charlotte anyhow!

Wander
12-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Not saying you're wrong at all about the narrative, but most people would still be picking FSU to win by a ton.

budwom
12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Can't complain about any of this. It would seem to be helpful if people give us no chance. Perhaps FSU can relax and focus on the national championship game.
I just hope we play well, and keep everyone healthy.

Gewebe14
12-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know yet what specific sections Duke's tickets are going to be in yet for the game?

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-04-2013, 01:14 PM
If you think duke has NO chance Saturday, take a look at this:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10077444/david-cutcliffe-turns-duke-blue-devils-acc-championship-contender

OldPhiKap
12-04-2013, 01:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10077444/david-cutcliffe-turns-duke-blue-devils-acc-championship-contender

That is an extremely good article, I receommend it to those who are just glancing at threads.

nyesq83
12-04-2013, 01:44 PM
from the article:

I'm blessed with the kids we have here. We took the locks off our lockers. I don't ever want to coach anywhere again where you have to lock the locker room.

A big reason we're winning is because of the kind of kids we have.

I can't imagine coaching anywhere else.

roywhite
12-04-2013, 01:46 PM

That is an extremely good article, I receommend it to those who are just glancing at threads.

yeah, count me as seeing this optimistically, along with those two notorious sunshiners DitBD and OPK :D

Duke at it's best can make this a competitive game, and in a competitive game, things can happen.

Highlander
12-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Auburn has had two undefeated seasons this century.

Duke has had three winless seasons this century.

Apples and oranges, methinks.

No question FSU has been steamrolling people this season. No question they might steamroll Duke. They're number one for a reason.

To be fair, VT has actually beaten FSU before, and even played them for a National title as recently as 2000. Duke has not, as in E-V-E-R, come close to beating FSU. We are 0-18 lifetime, with the closest game on record being a 19 point win by FSU. We are the only school in the (circa 2011) ACC that has that honor. In addition, FSU has beaten Duke by more than 49 points at least three times during that stretch.

We'd absolutely get a different narrative if it were VT, because those two programs have a bit of a rivalry. The only kind of rivalry Duke has with FSU is something akin to a nail's rivalry with a hammer.

But there is a first time for everything. :)

Olympic Fan
12-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Agreed. We made a bowl last year, and then were picked last in the division this year. Was it due to a collective in-depth study of rosters and the program? Doubtful. It was the lazy "Duke alway stinks" fall-back.

Very good point ....

After Saturday's win, I had some fun visiting UNC's boards and I was amazed at how many fans dismissed the loss by saying it was a fluke because a young UNC team was edged out by a senior dominated Duke team and things would be back to normal next year. I did see a rational fan point out that Duke had the same number of seniors on the roster as UNC (UNC had one less senior starter after Renner was sidelined) and the response -- "I'm not going to waste my time studying Duke's roster!"

Duke will have a strong core of proven players coming back, plus the infusion of what will be the highest ranked Duke recruiting class in this era. I will be very interested to see where Duke is projected in the Coastal next year. Let me make an early prediction: we'll be picked fifth, behind VPI, Miami, Georgia Tech and UNC.

As you note, it's going to take more than one good and one great season to change the perception of Duke football.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Very good point ....

After Saturday's win, I had some fun visiting UNC's boards and I was amazed at how many fans dismissed the loss by saying it was a fluke because a young UNC team was edged out by a senior dominated Duke team and things would be back to normal next year. I did see a rational fan point out that Duke had the same number of seniors on the roster as UNC (UNC had one less senior starter after Renner was sidelined) and the response -- "I'm not going to waste my time studying Duke's roster!"

Duke will have a strong core of proven players coming back, plus the infusion of what will be the highest ranked Duke recruiting class in this era. I will be very interested to see where Duke is projected in the Coastal next year. Let me make an early prediction: we'll be picked fifth, behind VPI, Miami, Georgia Tech and UNC.

As you note, it's going to take more than one good and one great season to change the perception of Duke football.
In a way, I can live with the underestimation of our program. We're used to it. Every time Duke wins, such drivel is lost out in the grand universe of foolish comments.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-04-2013, 02:36 PM
In case anyone was wondering... there's tickets available for as little as $9.50 on stubhub.com.

I'm going to my first Duke football game in nearly 20 years!

Go Duke!
Why not us?
Why not now?

loran16
12-04-2013, 03:01 PM
ESPN insider has a scouting report on the ACC Title game here:
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/travis-haney/post?id=1438

It's quotes from coaches anonymously surveyed in the conference.

I won't quote much since it's an insider piece. One coach says he thought we were better last year. Another coach however has this.....odd comment:

“They’ll pull out some tricks on special teams, fake punts. They do it more than anyone in the league"

I'm not 100% sure on this....but have we even attempted a fake punt this year? Certainly haven't in our last 8 games. Or Fake FG. What the heck are they talking about?

nyesq83
12-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Are you sure they didn't mean that FSU pulls trick plays all the time?

4Gen
12-04-2013, 03:08 PM

During the Michigan hoops game last night, the best quip was when Vitale said he had a better chance at being voted sexiest broadcaster than Duke winning the football conference championship and Shulman replied: So you're saying Duke has no chance.

Gewebe14
12-04-2013, 03:13 PM

I won't quote much since it's an insider piece. One coach says he thought we were better last year. Another coach however has this.....odd comment:

I'm not 100% sure on this....but have we even attempted a fake punt this year? Certainly haven't in our last 8 games. Or Fake FG. What the heck are they talking about?

I seem to recall a horrible one against Pitt or G-tech that sapped the team's mo for a while....

devildeac
12-04-2013, 03:26 PM

We tried an ill-fated/ill-advised one against Pitt on about our 35 on a 4th and 1 and Monday completed a pass for about a 5 yard loss:mad:. Led to a Pitt TD (not much that didn't that game:rolleyes:) about 3 plays later. Not sure when it was in the game. 3rd Q maybe and Pitt got a 16 or 23 point lead at that time. I was a the Pitt game so remember it happening as I cussed.

I also think we tried a fake FG once this year but for the life of me can't remember which game. Led to a completed pass from Monday to Blakeney (?) for a first down on about the 7-8 yard line and then to a TD. This one I watched on tv so it was most likely away but I missed 3 home games this year due to work obligations so it could have been at WW. Getting old...:o

Mabdul Doobakus
12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
I still think FSU is favored by 20+ against Va Tech. They were favored by 20+ against a 7-0 Miami team this year. They crushed a #3 Clemson team on the road by 30-something. I think the Boston College game is the only one they didn't win by at least 20.

Dukehky
12-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Winston decision comes out tomorrow at 2pm.

Olympic Fan
12-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Winston decision comes out tomorrow at 2pm.

That is quite literally, a potential game-changer. With Winston in the game, Duke has very little chance of beating FSU. But unless FSU changes its policy (which they could do) a player facing a felony charge is ineligible. If he doesn't play -- and with No. 2 QB Jacob Coker out with an injury -- the odds go way down. FSU would still be favored, but I'm not sure they would still be a prohibitive favorite.

I can't say I would look forward to that happening. The important thing is for justice to prevail in this case, whatever that is. Football is secondary.

But on a personal note, I wouldn't want to win just because Winston was suspended.

Jim3k
12-04-2013, 07:12 PM
And they are relatively complimentary.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/seminoles/os-fsu-duke-football-1204-20131203,0,871332.story

Or, perhaps one could say--mmm--uhh...condescending.

roywhite
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
According to this CBS Sports report (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24337727/jameis-winston-investigation-complete-announcement-thursday), a felony charge would result in a suspension (which Olympic Fan also notes above).

The change in the timetable could rule Winston out of that game and a potential BCS Championship Game, as per the Democrat a felony charge would mandate an immediate suspension according to the FSU Code of Conduct until the charges were resolved.

Hmmm...

Duvall
12-04-2013, 07:30 PM
That is quite literally, a potential game-changer. With Winston in the game, Duke has very little chance of beating FSU. But unless FSU changes its policy (which they could do) a player facing a felony charge is ineligible. If he doesn't play -- and with No. 2 QB Jacob Coker out with an injury -- the odds go way down. FSU would still be favored, but I'm not sure they would still be a prohibitive favorite.

I can't say I would look forward to that happening. The important thing is for justice to prevail in this case, whatever that is. Football is secondary.

But on a personal note, I wouldn't want to win just because Winston was suspended.

Perhaps, but nothing about this suggests that charges will be filed.

Mabdul Doobakus
12-04-2013, 07:32 PM
I really hope...for everyone's sake...that he is not guilty, or at least that there is not enough evidence here to pursue charges. Of course, if the woman in this case is truly a victim, then I hope there is justice. I guess I'm basically hoping that she's lying...for her sake, for Winston's sake, and for the sake of this game.

Like Olympic Fan...I don't want to take on a weakened FSU team. If that means we're more likely to get demolished, so be it.

dukelifer
12-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I really hope...for everyone's sake...that he is not guilty, or at least that there is not enough evidence here to pursue charges. Of course, if the woman in this case is truly a victim, then I hope there is justice. I guess I'm basically hoping that she's lying...for her sake, for Winston's sake, and for the sake of this game.

Like Olympic Fan...I don't want to take on a weakened FSU team. If that means we're more likely to get demolished, so be it.

No sure I understand how this is a "weakened" team. Yes- Winston is very good but players get injured or go out all the time in football. You play with the team you have. As for hoping the woman is lying- I have no idea how that is good for anyone- particularly her.

nyesq83
12-04-2013, 09:00 PM
One of the articles about the pending charges suggested there is an escape clause for extraordinary circumstances in the FSU Code of Conduct.

DueBlevil
12-04-2013, 09:10 PM
One of the articles about the pending charges suggested there is an escape clause for extraordinary circumstances in the FSU Code of Conduct.

Yes that has been widely acknowledged but no one has suggested that FSU would execute that clause in this case.

Dukeface88
12-04-2013, 09:12 PM
No sure I understand how this is a "weakened" team. Yes- Winston is very good but players get injured or go out all the time in football. You play with the team you have. As for hoping the woman is lying- I have no idea how that is good for anyone- particularly her.

Well, "woman is lying" would be good insofar as it would mean "woman was not raped", which would be better than the alternative.

"Not enough evidence to pursue charges" is rather another matter entirely.

Reilly
12-04-2013, 09:14 PM
... The important thing is for justice to prevail ...

"Justice? You get justice in the next world, in this world you have the law." - William Gaddis, A Frolic of His Own

roywhite
12-04-2013, 09:57 PM
I have visions of the prosecutor coming to the Thursday press conference involving the Jameis Winston accusations, and doing a version of that goofy hat shuffle that recruits often do when announcing their college choice.

Seminole hat...prison hat...Seminole hat...prison hat

Not to make fun of what may have been a serious crime, but really....a press conference?

OldPhiKap
12-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Look I want to win the game and all. But Duke has had a team and players with similar ALLEGATIONS.

I suggest we focus on the game, and not this issue.

devildeac
12-04-2013, 10:01 PM
I have visions of the prosecutor coming to the Thursday press conference involving the Jameis Winston accusations, and doing a version of that goofy hat shuffle that recruits often do when announcing their college choice.

Not to make fun of what may have been a serious crime, but really....a press conference?

Well, if it lasts as long as the Tony Parker presser, he might be a junior before any decisions are made:rolleyes:...

Merlindevildog91
12-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Well, "woman is lying" would be good insofar as it would mean "woman was not raped", which would be better than the alternative.

"Not enough evidence to pursue charges" is rather another matter entirely.

As a jaded prosecutor (not in Florida), "not enough evidence to pursue charges" is what I see happening tomorrow. These are tough cases even when the defendant doesn't have a high dollar lawyer and isn't one of the best college football players in the land, and when the police actually do a good job investigating the allegations and actually talk to any possible witnesses well before they change their minds/get paid off/get amnesia/move to Siberia.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2013, 10:11 PM
As a jaded prosecutor (not in Florida), "not enough evidence to pursue charges" is what I see happening tomorrow. These are tough cases even when the defendant doesn't have a high dollar lawyer and isn't one of the best college football players in the land, and when the police actually do a good job investigating the allegations and actually talk to any possible witnesses well before they change their minds/get paid off/get amnesia/move to Siberia.

Agreed, you call a press conference to announce why you are dropping the case -- not to announce an indictment.

Indoor66
12-04-2013, 10:12 PM
"Justice? You get justice in the next world, in this world you have the law." - William Gaddis, A Frolic of His Own

As they told me, way back when, "If you want justice, haul your butt over to Divinity. We don't deal in that here."

davekay1971
12-04-2013, 10:29 PM
I still think FSU is favored by 20+ against Va Tech. They were favored by 20+ against a 7-0 Miami team this year. They crushed a #3 Clemson team on the road by 30-something. I think the Boston College game is the only one they didn't win by at least 20.

By at least 27.

Make no mistake about the magnitude of the mountain Duke is attempting to climb.

But then, Dave Cutcliffe climbed a bigger mountain when he spent a month in the hospital after his CABG. And when he took on a program that had been left to rot for most of 4 decades...that had had 10 wins in the 8 years before he arrived. Read the article on ESPN.com about him and tell me it doesn't inspire you to cheer for this man, and believe in him. He's going to retire at Duke, I think, and we're blessed for that.

Mabdul Doobakus
12-04-2013, 10:54 PM

Don't get me wrong. They'd still be heavily favored. But a team missing their star QB is a fundamentally different beast. QB is the most important position in all of team sports. I'm sure I'll get arguments on this--although I actually think it's indisputable. It's the one position where an injury can destroy a team. Exhibit A would be this year's Green Bay Packers. And from what I read upthread, FSU would be dropping down to their 3rd string QB, who while I'm sure is very talented, is not the best player in the country.

And I'm not saying the woman lying is a good thing, but given the alternatives available at this point, I can't think of a better outcome. It's better than the options where (A) she was raped, or (B) may have been raped, but we don't have enough evidence. Note that if you take option B, the best outcome is still that she was lying, only now Winston's not exactly exonerated.

El_Diablo
12-05-2013, 12:44 AM
Other than the fact that there is a press conference scheduled to announce the results, these quotes from the state attorney make it pretty clear that charges will not be filed:

"We think we have exhausted all investigative tools," he said.

"When you all look at this, when the dust all settles, you'll say, 'Man, there were some things that could have been done back in December of '12 that could have cleared this up a whole lot easier than November of 2013,' " he said.

These are generally not the types of things you say publicly if you are about to charge someone with a crime. Of course, TMZ Sports--I mean ESPN--will be milking this ALL DAY to build the drama.

cbarry
12-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Absolutely. If they were going to charge him, they would done so yesterday, not announced a presser. Winston will walk. Guaranteed.

Agreed, you call a press conference to announce why you are dropping the case -- not to announce an indictment.

CameronBornAndBred
12-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I am sooooooo tired of hearing "Duke has never beaten Florida State". We have done so many things this year that we have never done before, and yet the pundits STILL focus on old Duke.

brevity
12-05-2013, 10:45 AM

What's a prison hat?

OldPhiKap
12-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I am sooooooo tired of hearing "Duke has never beaten Florida State". We have done so many things this year that we have never done before, and yet the pundits STILL focus on old Duke.

True. And next year, it'll be "Duke has only beaten FSU once in all of the times they've met . . . ."

chaosmage
12-05-2013, 11:11 AM
While it seems like he may not be charged, is anyone else having visions of Mike Nifong and some glory-seeking prosecutor? I haven't read anything but ESPN and the boards to keep up, so I have no idea what kind of attorney Meggs is. I could just imagine him deciding to charge the guy on the spot to make a scene, like some kind of TV drama.

Is anyone else angry about Ron Burgundy and Champ Kind not doing SportsCenter because of the press conference? Grrr...

El_Diablo
12-05-2013, 12:17 PM
What's a prison hat?

According to Rashad McCants, it looks like this:

loran16
12-05-2013, 12:21 PM
While it seems like he may not be charged, is anyone else having visions of Mike Nifong and some glory-seeking prosecutor? I haven't read anything but ESPN and the boards to keep up, so I have no idea what kind of attorney Meggs is. I could just imagine him deciding to charge the guy on the spot to make a scene, like some kind of TV drama.

Is anyone else angry about Ron Burgundy and Champ Kind not doing SportsCenter because of the press conference? Grrr...

A bunch of articles have interviewed local Florida attornies who know Meggs, and they allege he's a guy who doesn't really use the press if he can help it. That's why people believe the press conference is to announce no charges, rather than announce an arrest.

Highlander
12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
ESPN is reporting that Winston will not be charged. He is clear to finish the season with the 'Noles.

chaosmage
12-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Edit: Highlander got it.

Good. Now bring it on and let's do this.

sagegrouse
12-05-2013, 03:02 PM
ESPN is reporting that Winston will not be charged. He is clear to finish the season with the 'Noles.

And for his penance, Jameis will be required to throw four interceptions and cough up two fumbles within the next three days.

sage

CameronBornAndBred
12-05-2013, 04:45 PM
After watching sports news for the last 2 hours, I am soooooooo tired of hearing "Jameis Winston".

devildeac
12-05-2013, 04:52 PM
After watching sports news for the last 2 hours, I am soooooooo tired of hearing "Jameis Winston".

Unless (on Saturday night) it's followed by "... sacked for the 3rd time by 2nd team all ACC defensive lineman, Kenny Anunike.";)

Merlindevildog91
12-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Unless (on Saturday night) it's followed by "... sacked for the 3rd time by 2nd team all ACC defensive lineman, Kenny Anunike.";)

or "...picked off by Kelby Brown."

AND "...picked off by Ross Cockrell."

AND (for a little variety) "...can't make the tackle on DeVon Edwards as he gets another pick-six!"

devildeac
12-05-2013, 05:09 PM
or "...picked off by Kelby Brown."

AND "...picked off by Ross Cockrell."

AND (for a little variety) "...can't make the tackle on DeVon Edwards as he gets another pick-six!"

I'd like one of each please and a side of "Crowder tiptoes down the sideline with his 3rd TD catch of this game.";)

Indoor66
12-05-2013, 05:44 PM
I'd like one of each please and a side of "Crowder tiptoes down the sideline with his 3rd TD catch of this game.";)

Followed by a round of Cigar City Beer.

devildeac
12-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Followed by a round of Cigar City Beer.

You bring it to Charlotte this weekend and I will drive down to pick it up;).

Better yet, in Orlando or Atlanta later this month, too!

duke09hms
12-05-2013, 05:49 PM

Why not Miami next year!

Indoor66
12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Why not Miami next year!

Why not Miami this year? Sunlight would be delightful! :cool::cool:

OldPhiKap
12-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Why not Miami this year? Sunlight would be delightful! :cool::cool:

Game is in January

Indoor66
12-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Game is in January

Pardon me but I think in terms of Football Season years in these instances rather than calendar years.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Pardon me but I think in terms of Football Season years in these instances rather than calendar years.

Agreed, I was just pointing out what I think the poster meant.

duke09hms
12-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Football School!

nyesq83
12-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Just had the CC IPA last week, pretty good stuff.

Let's Go Duke! Beat the Holes uh I mean Noles uh I mean Holes!

dukelifer
12-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Jameis Winston admitted to having sex with an fellow student who was supposedly so drunk she could not remember details. How was she capable of giving consent? Did he have sex before she was drunk or after? Was he drunk? Either he took advantage of the situation or she lied about the timing of her interaction with Winston. There must be more to this story.

nyesq83
12-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Jameis Winston admitted to having sex with an fellow student who was supposedly so drunk she could not remember details. How was she capable of giving consent? Did he have sex before she was drunk or after? Was he drunk? Either he took advantage of the situation or she lied about the timing of her interaction with Winston. There must be more to this story.

If he was too drunk, how could he consent (half joking)...

Highlander
12-05-2013, 07:44 PM
So are there any tailgaters in play for the game this weekend? Just got my tickets (and I have 2 extra if anyone needs them - upper deck; face value). Will probably hit up a bar beforehand rather than tailgate; there are several in the area. Thinking either French Quarter or (more likely) Picasso's on Church St.

duke09hms
12-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Turns out she wasn't drunk or intoxicated and her boyfriend was there "participating" as well.
BAC of 0.04, toxicology came back clean.

dukelifer
12-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Turns out she wasn't drunk or intoxicated and her boyfriend was there "participating" as well.
Just found the supposed official documents online on deadspin

http://deadspin.com/report-jameis-winston-wont-be-charged-1477271425

Clearly a different picture than what has been presented so far. Very strange story.

Merlindevildog91
12-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Just found the supposed official documents online on deadspin

http://deadspin.com/report-jameis-winston-wont-be-charged-1477271425

Clearly a different picture than what has been presented so far. Very strange story.

Very disturbing.

nyesq83
12-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Very strange story. I have a hard time picturing Winston dressing the young lady after.

There's a lot of pieces missing from this puzzle.

Her story doesn't make complete sense.

nyesq83
12-05-2013, 11:48 PM
From the Yahoo article about Duke needing to slow down Winston: he has a secret, he takes amphetamines (well, medically approved "uppers".)

''I literally had to start taking my ADD medicine so I can pay attention and get every single thing,'' Winston said with a laugh. ''You've got to take notes in there all the time. You've got to be up to date, every single time or you're going to miss something.''

bob blue devil
12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
The Heisman implication here is interesting - can Winston put on a good enough show in a likely losing effort to stay in the race?

wgl1228
12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
So do we think Duke's best bet here is to hopefully get on the board first, waste a lot of clock whenever we do have the ball, and then hope FSU makes a few mistakes during the game (fumbles/interceptions). Simple right :)

Olympic Fan
12-06-2013, 01:04 PM
As most of you know, it's unseasonably mild in NC today (77 high projected in Durham), but we're about to get hit by a blast of artic air.

It looks like we'll get the game in just before the worst of it gets here. The hourly forecast at weather.com now projects that in Charlotte the temp will be falling from 47 to 45 during the game with some light rain or drizzle.

The worst part may be for those of us who are driving back to the Triangle after the game -- the temp continues to fall in the early hours of Sunday morning and the light rain continues. Right now, it should stay above freezing at least until later Sunday, but it's going to be close.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Where's the pre-game tailgate?

budwom
12-06-2013, 01:33 PM

BAC measaurement was evidently taken well after the event so it has little validity relative to her intoxication at the time of the event.
By her own admission she had five or six "shots".....and says she doesn't remember much after that. Has no bearing on the guilt of JW, but
the BAC measurement means just about nothing.

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Can we please stop concentrating on Jameis Winston and his legal issues and stick to the actual game in this thread? If you want to ponder what he may or may not have done, I'd love to see it somewhere else so I can actually enjoy talking about the victory that is coming our way.

killerleft
12-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Can we please stop concentrating on Jameis Winston and his legal issues and stick to the actual game in this thread? If you want to ponder what he may or may not have done, I'd love to see it somewhere else so I can actually enjoy talking about the victory that is coming our way.

Agree 100%! We just have to line up and run the ball. Line up and play good "D". I don't see much in the way of trickeration from us. Go Duke!!

NYBri
12-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Agree 100%! We just have to line up and run the ball. Line up and play good "D". I don't see much in the way of trickeration from us. Go Duke!!

Long, time consuming drives with no turnovers. A couple of big defensive plays and slow them down.

Bob Green
12-06-2013, 04:28 PM

I wholeheartedly agree we probably will not see "much in the way of trickeration" but I do hope we see some new looks. With the offensive weapons available and the balance we have achieved this season, it could be effective to throw a new wrinkle or two at FSU in an attempt to catch them off guard.

In the long run, our success will depend upon winning both the Turnover Margin and Time of Possession statistics in order to keep the ball out of Winston's hands.

sagegrouse
12-06-2013, 04:34 PM
I wholeheartedly agree we probably will not see "much in the way of trickeration" but I do hope we see some new looks. With the offensive weapons available and the balance we have achieved this season, it could be effective to throw a new wrinkle or two at FSU in an attempt to catch them off guard.

In the long run, our success will depend upon winning both the Turnover Margin and Time of Possession statistics in order to keep the ball out of Winston's hands.

Getting specific: Here's our challenge. Two years ago, I attended the FSU game in Durham. In the first quarter, EJ Manuel attempted and compelted three long passes of over 50 yards. Two went for TDS; the third led to a touchdown. FSU never tried another one -- it didn't need to, because the game was well in hand.

We have to survive the initial blitz of long passes that is sure to come. I have confidence in our defense, including our secondary, but this will be a big challenge.

Go Duke!

Mabdul Doobakus
12-06-2013, 04:45 PM
I've never really understood the obsession with time of possession. I guess the idea here is to decrease the number of possessions (i.e., limit the sample size), and thereby decrease our chance of lucking out and winning the game. So, I get that...but if doing that causes us to do things that prevent us from running our best offense then I think it's a big mistake. Jameis Winston is going to get the ball back when we're done with it, no matter how long we take with it. To me, winning time of possession should have nothing to do with running the ball, but rather with our defense getting their offense off the field. You just want to maximize your efficiency on offense, and I see no difference whether a touchdown takes 1 play or 15, except that trying to do it in 15 plays is much more difficult, and a single minor mistake or penalty can derail your drive.

Bob Green
12-06-2013, 04:54 PM
I've never really understood the obsession with time of possession.

Time of Possession by itself is a useless statistic (I know this because Loran16 has beat me over the head with a stick on multiple occasions). For it to be a positive we need to win Time of Possession by accomplishing the following three things:

1. Execute multiple play drives which result in both scoring points (priority 1) and burning clock (priority 2).
2. Force FSU to punt the ball back to us.
3. Force FSU to turn the ball over to us via interceptions or fumbles.

I agree with you that offensive efficiency is more important than TOP.

Papa John
12-06-2013, 05:10 PM
I've never really understood the obsession with time of possession. I guess the idea here is to decrease the number of possessions (i.e., limit the sample size), and thereby decrease our chance of lucking out and winning the game. So, I get that...but if doing that causes us to do things that prevent us from running our best offense then I think it's a big mistake. Jameis Winston is going to get the ball back when we're done with it, no matter how long we take with it. To me, winning time of possession should have nothing to do with running the ball, but rather with our defense getting their offense off the field. You just want to maximize your efficiency on offense, and I see no difference whether a touchdown takes 1 play or 15, except that trying to do it in 15 plays is much more difficult, and a single minor mistake or penalty can derail your drive.

The obsession with time of possession is simple. When you are playing a team with a dynamic, athletic set of playmakers on the offensive end who can put a lot of points on the board quickly, a good strategy is to 'take the air out of the ball' by possessing it as long as you can, thereby keeping those dynamic, athletic playmakers cooling their rears on the sidelines as long as possible. I think Cutcliffe will try to do this a bit, since we are actually very good at running the ball between the tackles. If we can gain yards on the ground, then it has the dual benefit of keeping their offense on the sidelines and perhaps reeling in their secondary to stack the box and cheat toward the run, thereby opening up the vertical passing game. If we can't gain yards on the ground, we could be in for a long night.

Now, mind you, Cut will also spray the ball outside with the short passing game, which is another strategy to reel in the corners and open up downfield routes. That will depend on how tight the corners are playing. I expect to see FSU's corners playing tight bump and run man coverage from the outset--they'll have confidence in their athleticism on the outside--so don't be surprised to see us go vertical a few times right from the get-go, just to see if we can sneak in a quick strike or two to force their corners to give a little cushion, which will then open things up for the inside running game and the short, quick-strike possession passing game.

It really depends on what FSU shows on defense out of the gate. Man, I can't wait! My gut tells me we're going to play well and give them a good game...

NYBri
12-06-2013, 05:52 PM
It really depends on what FSU shows on defense out of the gate. Man, I can't wait! My gut tells me we're going to play well and give them a good game...

That's really all we can ask for. Play well...make it a game and hope we are in a position to grab it if it's there for the taking.

I really don't want to see us on the short end of a 42-7 halftime score...which they have done to just about everyone else they have played.

Mabdul Doobakus
12-06-2013, 06:05 PM
The obsession with time of possession is simple. When you are playing a team with a dynamic, athletic set of playmakers on the offensive end who can put a lot of points on the board quickly, a good strategy is to 'take the air out of the ball' by possessing it as long as you can, thereby keeping those dynamic, athletic playmakers cooling their rears on the sidelines as long as possible.

I know this is the argument people make, but it's exactly the argument I object to. I can understand in basketball maybe trying to put a dynamic player in foul trouble, even if it means you get out of your comfort zone for a couple possessions, because there's an ultimate payoff in putting that dynamic player on the bench for multiple future possessions. But in football, there is no payoff. Both teams essentially get the same number of possessions, no matter how much clock you run. To me, take the air out of the ball all you want...you're just delaying the inevitable. And if you decrease your chance of scoring by taking the air out of the ball then all you're doing is hurting yourself.

As I said above, I do see some merit in the idea that you are at least keeping the scoring margin lower by decreasing the number of possessions for both teams, so maybe one or two fluke plays can flip the game in your favor. But again, if you have to go out of your comfort zone to do this, I think it's just setting you up for failure. Now, that said, Duke does have the type of offense that can grind out long drives, and FSU has been somewhat susceptible to the run...so I'm not saying they shouldn't try to run a lot. But ultimately, they need to do whatever it takes to maximize their points per possession. Grinding out the clock should be a very distant consideration, unless they have a late lead.

dukelifer
12-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Time of Possession by itself is a useless statistic (I know this because Loran16 has beat me over the head with a stick on multiple occasions). For it to be a positive we need to win Time of Possession by accomplishing the following three things:

1. Execute multiple play drives which result in both scoring points (priority 1) and burning clock (priority 2).
2. Force FSU to punt the ball back to us.
3. Force FSU to turn the ball over to us via interceptions or fumbles.

I agree with you that offensive efficiency is more important than TOP.

This is all true. Duke also has to be careful about giving up the big play. Fla State is likely to bomb away and hit Duke with big plays over the top. If Duke can stop that- they have a chance to hang. I expect that Fla State to look for a knockout on the first few possessions.

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2013, 09:00 PM
One of our tailgate members has kept us entertained this year by previewing each matchup on his PS3. He's fired it up again, this time previewing the BIG game. The Blue Devils have some pretty nice results. :) (By the way, the
simulations have all been pretty decent this year.)

The numbers show Duke has a 40% chance to win this game winning 8 of the 20 simulations. The average score was a tantalizing 24-29 in favor of the Seminoles.. The simulations showed a balanced Duke attack in the wins with roughly 110 yards rushing and 285 yards passing. The Mode (which has been fairly accurate in the past) is Duke: 28 or 24 to FSU: 24 or 14.

http://crazietalk.net/2/post/2013/12/duke-vs-fsu-acc-championship-game-preview-from-a-ps3.html

duketaylor
12-06-2013, 09:22 PM
40% chance, WOW!!! I'd have it at about 5%. Nothing against our guys, just what I'm thinking, and 5% doesn't mean we can't win, but lots of things need to align in Duke's favor, to be sure. Win turnovers and allow no big plays come to mind immediately. Simple as that. GO DEVILS!!

Atldukie79
12-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Time of possession is not the goal in and of itself. As pointed out, each team gets an opportunity to possess the ball an equal number of times (a lost onside kick for example may result in different actual number of possessions).

But the positive implications of winning the TOP include:
1) Fewer possessions in a game increase the chance that an underdog might win. The theory being a superior team will prevail more often over a larger sample size.
2) The defense tends to wear out more per possession than the offense. So having your offense on the field longer than your defense is positive for both teams, but particularly for the team with less depth (more often the underdog?)
3) Psych: It is possible that an offense may get "antsy" and out of synch with long periods of sitting around...

dukelifer
12-06-2013, 09:55 PM
One of our tailgate members has kept us entertained this year by previewing each matchup on his PS3. He's fired it up again, this time previewing the BIG game. The Blue Devils have some pretty nice results. :) (By the way, the

http://crazietalk.net/2/post/2013/12/duke-vs-fsu-acc-championship-game-preview-from-a-ps3.html

That 49-21 Duke win was amazing! The 95 yard flee-flicker from Boone to Connette to Boone to Crowder was a thing of beauty. I particularly liked the fake field goal where Ross Martin threw a bullet to an eligible lineman who got both feet in bounds in the corner of the end zone.

davekay1971
12-06-2013, 10:24 PM

Shhhhh!

We don't have a chance. We're going to get killed. Florida State should consider this one already in the bag before kickoff. Pay no attention whatsoever to the (mostly) harmless team in Blue and White.

nmduke2001
12-06-2013, 10:27 PM
I hope the weather is nasty. I just think that favors us.

NYBri
12-06-2013, 10:55 PM

Any variable that can put FSU off their stride is helpful.

throatybeard
12-06-2013, 11:07 PM

I'm not sure. If two southern teams have to play each other in temperatures less than 75 degrees it may go like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3oUUUzOxE

Reilly
12-07-2013, 04:10 AM
Fight, fight Blue Devils.
Fight for Duke and the Blue and White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpphcJjbF_0

devildeac
12-07-2013, 06:08 AM
I wouldn't mind hearing this played on Triangle radio stations a few too many times over the next week or three:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVbr37_yPeY

Merlindevildog91
12-07-2013, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't mind hearing this played on Triangle radio stations a few too many times over the next week or three:

I would like to hear this about 10 times tonight, between 8 and midnight or so.

jv001
12-07-2013, 09:26 AM

Man, I love that song. GoDuke!

nmduke2001
12-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know what uniform/helmet combo we will be wearing tonight?

roywhite
12-07-2013, 10:20 AM
According to Accuweather (http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/charlotte-nc/28202/hourly-weather-forecast/349818?hour=18), gametime weather in Charlotte will be 47 degrees (dropping to 43 degrees by 11:00 PM) and 60% chance of rain.

dukebballcamper90-91
12-07-2013, 10:42 AM

I hope we go with black helmets, blue pants, white jersey. Same as last week and week before.
Keep away game streak alive

peloton
12-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Agree 100%! We just have to line up and run the ball. Line up and play good "D".

I couldn't agree more Killer. If our line can open holes for Josh, Jela, Shaq, and Juwan and they can consistently take advantage of that, I like our chances to hang with FSU for awhile. If we can't run against the Noles' defense I'm afraid it's going to be a long day for our defensive unit as they spend more time on the field than usual, possibly eliminating our typical 4th quarter advantage. However, I think we'll have success running the ball due to our line experience and (just as important) determination that we've demonstrated pretty much all season.

Reilly, thanks for the url - I've played it a couple of times already this morning and will a few more times today I suspect. I can't wait to see how Walter Camp Coach of the Year winner David Cutcliffe, his staff, and the team respond to this challenge. It goes without saying that whatever the outcome tonight, this is a Duke football team that has made history and will forever be remembered. I just feel truly fortunate to have experienced this. I have but one thing to say...
Let's Go Blue Devils!!

brevity
12-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Garnet and gold, with tomahawks on the helmets. Jameis Winston will set a record for throwing interceptions.

That deception cuts both ways, so we'll add special markings to our helmets that give off an infrared glow, and can only be seen through our quarterbacks' night vision visors.

devildeac
12-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Garnet and gold, with tomahawks on the helmets. Jameis Winston will set a record for throwing interceptions.

That deception cuts both ways, so we'll add special markings to our helmets that give off an infrared glow, and can only be seen through our quarterbacks' night vision visors.

IIRC, he threw a couple first half picks in their Miami game and they were able to convert them into 2 TDs and hang close for the first 30 minutes, maybe trailing by 7 at the half. Of course, the flood gates opened in the second half. I also like the sound of "the Noles just can't seem to keep Anunike and Dewalt-Ondijo out of their backfield.";)

ArtVandelay
12-07-2013, 12:05 PM
The College Gameday crew didn't either bother picking the ACC Championship game during their selections. If that's not motivation, I don't know what is.

Bob Green
12-07-2013, 12:12 PM
I couldn't agree more Killer. If our line can open holes for Josh, Jela, Shaq, and Juwan and they can consistently take advantage of that, I like our chances to hang with FSU for awhile. If we can't run against the Noles' defense I'm afraid it's going to be a long day for our defensive unit as they spend more time on the field than usual, possibly eliminating our typical 4th quarter advantage. However, I think we'll have success running the ball due to our line experience and (just as important) determination that we've demonstrated pretty much all season.

As important as running the ball will be, and I agree with Killerleft and peloton, it will be very important, achieving balance will be more important. The offense must also achieve success throwing the ball. Against Carolina, we threw the ball vertically down the field with the horizontal pass not being part of the game plan. I'd like to see a similar approach tonight as I believe it will be difficult to achieve success with bubble screens and wide receiver screens due to the speed of FSU's defense.

So we must establish the run and throw the ball vertically to successfully attack FSU's defense. Medium length passes to the tight end often find an open seam in a defense. A big game from Braxton Deaver would be a good thing.

moonpie23
12-07-2013, 12:14 PM
i think that when the FSU players look across the field, they're laughing……duke…..lol DUKE!!!??? they are seeing the laughing stock of the acc for over a decade…..they don't see a smart, well-coached 10-2 team…….if our guys had clemson unis on, they would definitely take the game more seriously…

that being said, 2 places FSU has not been this year.

1 - Watching Winston NOT get up (not advocating anything more than a solid hit here)

2. - Down going into the 4th quarter.

either one of those scenarios happen and the math can stand on it's head and do a dance…….cause then it's wide open...

Mabdul Doobakus
12-07-2013, 12:39 PM
The College Gameday crew didn't either bother picking the ACC Championship game during their selections. If that's not motivation, I don't know what is.

I had it on in the background from about 10:15 AM and I didn't even note a single mention of the game. Granted, I may have just missed it. But it's a game on the ABC/ESPN family o' networks, so I was a little surprised.

OldPhiKap
12-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Knock on wood, forecasters calling for rain to hold off until after midnight. Chilly and breezy.

Game day, cannot wait!

blUDAYvil
12-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Here's a photo of the Duke uniform courtesy of Duke Athletics.
http://instagram.com/p/hmBM7LmfcZ/

devildeac
12-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Here's a photo of the Duke uniform courtesy of Duke Athletics.
http://instagram.com/p/hmBM7LmfcZ/

Looks like a winning combo to me!

Let's go Duke!

uh_no
12-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Knock on wood, forecasters calling for rain to hold off until after midnight. Chilly and breezy.

Game day, cannot wait!

idk...team coming up from florida that likes to pass? bad weather would likely be in our favor....call it and haul it!

gurufrisbee
12-07-2013, 05:40 PM
I honestly never thought I'd be THIS excited in December for a Duke game that didn't involve Coach K. I know we're huge underdogs and possibly rightfully so, but I really feel like if they play smart and play their game it's gonna be competitive. GO BLUE DEVILS!!!

OldPhiKap
12-07-2013, 05:44 PM
idk...team coming up from florida that likes to pass? bad weather would likely be in our favor....call it and haul it!

Yeah, thinking selfishly. But I am layered and lathered!

Bob Green
12-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Yeah, thinking selfishly. But I am layered and lathered!

I'm kicking back in a pair of shorts and Duke T-shirt, drinking a beer. :cool:

-jk
12-07-2013, 07:06 PM

Um, wrong thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3840-Ymm-beer).

-jk

devildeac
12-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Um, wrong thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3840-Ymm-beer).

-jk

To Bob: WTH? Just a beer...

To -jk: Thanks for the press/link:cool:.

-jk
12-07-2013, 07:46 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open. Let's go Duke!

We. Can. Do. It.

-jk

killerleft
12-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Let's get ready to rumbllllllleeeeee!!!!!!!!! Let's Go Duke!!!!!!!!!

bbq-devil
12-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Shock the world!!!!

Here we go!!!

riverside6
12-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Live stats and play analysis for Duke/FSU...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=3708

Gthoma2a
12-07-2013, 08:19 PM
I was in Charlotte today and saw a bunch of obnoxious FSU fans, and had to sit in traffic because of their marching band... I'd love to win, but if we could keep it close, it would be like a victory.

vick
12-07-2013, 08:19 PM
I love the way it looks when both teams wear home jerseys (I also like when UCLA and USC do it).

throatybeard
12-07-2013, 08:26 PM
I love the way it looks when both teams wear home jerseys (I also like when UCLA and USC do it).

I love the way it looks when Duke wears its actual school colors.

dukelifer
12-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Bend but not break defense at it again.