PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 27, UNCCH 25. Coastal champs, Ding-dong, GTHC!

hurleyfor3
11-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Beat FSU!

Les Grossman
11-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Congrats Blue Devils!!!

uh_no
11-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Beat FSU!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1593513/belltheft.gif

follyblue
11-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Another gutsy win. So proud of this team.

FerryFor50
11-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Great win!

Classless move by the Holes at the end with the Schiano victory formation garbage.

Duvall
11-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Cutcliffe is magic.

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Wow. Duke plays with poise - wins at UNC- about as good as it gets! Wow.

Dr. Rosenrosen
Love that they carried him off!

Sixthman
WOW. Awesome. All hail David Cutcliff and Duke football!

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Great win!

Classless move by the Holes at the end with the Schiano victory formation garbage.

Better than we had any reason to expect, however. The Carolina Way is a now meaningless piece of distant history.

SoCalDukeFan
11-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Great win!

SoCal

MulletMan
11-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Ding dong, the D does it again! What a wonderful ride.

I know the players and coaches don't feel this way, but for me, the rest of the year is gravy. I have had so much fun watching this program come up under Cut, that however this year ends I will forever be happy and proud of this team!

nmduke2001
11-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Congrats to those young men, especially the seniors. They believed in a vision and a coach and their faith was rewarded today.

ChrisP
11-30-2013, 03:23 PM
When thinking about this team, all I can think of is TOUGH! Mentally and physically just straight out TOUGH!!!

Oh, and I just thought of another word: CHAMPIONS!!! :cool:

Congrats to our team and the coaches and especially David Cutcliffe. Thank you sir for making Duke football respectable again!!!!!!!!

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 03:23 PM
So proud of this team, our coaches, their families. Thanks for coming to Duke.

They are doing so well, they get extra games to play!

devildeac
11-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Football school;).

duke4ever19
11-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Great win!

I'm only against rushing the victory formation if the margin is too wide to even matter. Otherwise, see if you can catch them sleeping. We did routinely in high school and got two victories out of it in one season.

BD80
11-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Football school;).

Were those football staffers measuring Coach K's office? Inconceivable!

DukieInKansas
11-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Congratulations! Thank you team for showing such dedication, class, and toughness. You guys are great!

Time to send in my Iron Dukes contribution - joined in honor of the football team and am glad to increase my contribution in their honor also.

Let's Go, Duke!

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Speechless with joy.

Just, wow.

devildeac
11-30-2013, 03:34 PM
And picked for last or next to last in our division. Amazing. Astounding. Incredible. Exhilarating.

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 03:34 PM
We're gonna need a bigger bandwagon!

hurleyfor3
11-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Or a smaller one. Attention Duke haters, do yourself a favor and just quit watching college sports.

devildeac
11-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Gonna need a whole wagon train!

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-30-2013, 03:37 PM
We're so spoiled when it comes to basketball. This football season has brought me as much pleasure as any hoops championship season. This has to be what it feels like for historically average basketball programs to have a breakthrough season and be able to enjoy incredible success even when it doesn't involve a final four run or a national championship. Just pure enjoyment of watching a team succeed together. Cloud nine in Durham today!

devildeac
11-30-2013, 03:39 PM
If the MBB team loses any ACC games on the road this year, think the crowd will chat "football school" at us?

devildeac
11-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Larry fedora demoted to larry the visor.

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 03:42 PM
We're so spoiled when it comes to basketball. This football season has brought me as much pleasure as any hoops championship season. This has to be what it feels like for historically average basketball programs to have a breakthrough season and be able to enjoy incredible success even when it doesn't involve a final four run or a national championship. Just pure enjoyment of watching a team succeed together. Cloud nine in Durham today!

I agree, especially since the program was, I hate to admit, historically bad.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-30-2013, 03:43 PM
More like sweaty headband.

DukieInKansas
11-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Excellent! Does that make his next demotion be larry the headband?

devildeac
11-30-2013, 03:44 PM
More like sweaty headband.

I'd buy that one, too.

Billy Dat
11-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Fantastic. The camera angle on the game winning field goal made it look like it was going wide, I screamed, "NO!!!!!!!" It is great that Duke football can push me to the heights of emotion typically reserved for hoops (and lacrosse). What a season!!!!!

MulletMan
11-30-2013, 03:49 PM

I had not watched a UNC game outside of last year's Duke game since Fedora became head coach. Not really impressed with all the screaming at his players and the refs. Kind of shocked actually. Stay classy UNC.

DukieInKansas
11-30-2013, 03:50 PM
I had not watched a UNC game outside of last year's Duke game since Fedora became head coach. Not really impressed with all the screaming at his players and the refs. Kind of shocked actually. Stay classy UNC.

I'm afraid the stay classy went the carolina way.

Duvall
11-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Duke goes 5-0 in road games on the year.

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 03:53 PM
MOTM is Coach Cut and his staff.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Speechless with joy.

Just, wow.
The Blue Devil Special has pretty nice seats, doesn't it?;)

davekay1971
11-30-2013, 03:55 PM
That was stressful, terrifying, and wonderful beyond words.

I can't believe it. Way to go...although that doesn't begin to sum up what David Cutcliffe and this team have done.

Duke is going to the ACC championship game.

4 wins in the four years before Cut got here. Regular appearances in ESPN.com's Bottom 10. Cut and his staff and players have patiently built the talent base, made us competitive, made us relevant, and now they are champions. Next game for an even bigger championship.

Wander

Not to mention one of the worst attempts at a 2 minute drive I've ever seen.

Nice analogy to one of the common complaints made against Roy Williams though: finishing the game with timeouts in his pocket.

OldPhiKap
The Blue Devil Special has pretty nice seats, doesn't it?;)

Yes, especially looking back at the miles we have come!

killerleft
11-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Coach Cutcliffe, thank you! Thank you very much!!! Feel free to continue the run!!!!!!!!

Why yes, we will enjoy that Victory Bell! What a day for Duke Football.

Native
11-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Beyond proud of our performance on the field, but far prouder of the young men on our team. All of those guys are regarded as great guys on campus and I'm proud to call them classmates.

On to Charlotte! Go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2013, 03:59 PM
My reference, of course, was to the train Duke took to the Rose Bowl... much better than a simple band wagon type bus!

Potato Head
11-30-2013, 04:13 PM
A little too close for my liking. Sometimes these pesky basketball schools will give you a good game when you're not expecting it. Credit to them for hanging with us, that team looks like it might be pretty good in a few years.

Reilly
11-30-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm numb, and it's not just from the oxycodone ...

"We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire."
- David Cutcliffe, July 2008

Acymetric
11-30-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm numb, and it's not just from the oxycodone ...

"We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire."
- David Cutcliffe, July 2008

I am so glad he said that. Great quote. 2nd favorite quote came more recently, "We are not going away." Fantastic stuff.

killerleft
11-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Goofus: Awards himself a ring for a division championship he wasn't eligible to win because of numerous athletic violations.

Gallant: Plays by rules, wins a division championship by paddling Goofus' butt!!

Fedora: Whiner of the Year Award.

Cutcliffe: Coach of the Year!

BlueDevilBrowns
11-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Goofus: Awards himself a ring for a division championship he wasn't eligible to win because of numerous athletic violations.

Gallant: Plays by rules, wins a division championship by paddling Goofus' butt!!

Fedora: Whiner of the Year Award.

Cutcliffe: Coach of the Year!

Just finished listening to the "Headband"'s post game interview on the radio and I must say it was one of the most illogical interviews I've ever heard. It was embarrassing to listen to, truly.

He started by saying UNC football isn't UNC basketball so fans and players shouldn't expect to get calls in their favor, even at home.

Then, he proceeds to say he thinks UNC is the more talented team, just not the smarter team.

After that, he praises Duke for being tough and deserving of the win because they made winning plays.

Finally, Fedora finishes by stating Duke got almost all the calls and he tried to warn the players that would happen in the pregame preparation because he knew that would happen.

It was Billy Madison Part II, really.

peloton
11-30-2013, 04:47 PM
My heartiest congrats to Coach Cut, the entire coaching staff, the team, and especially the seniors. Thanks for having a hand personally in helping the program improve to the point where it's more than respectable now! ACC Coastal Division Champs...I like the sound of that. Do you think this season is going to help recruiting...maybe just a little? ;) Man, the future of Duke football looks bright to say the least. By the way, I'm seeing some pretty respectful posts by Tarheel fans on one of their boards...testament to how far we've come. Are there 'Football School' shirts printed up yet? I want to buy one.

FerryFor50
11-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Just finished listening to the "Headband"'s post game interview on the radio and I must say it was one of the most illogical interviews I've ever heard. It was embarrassing to listen to, truly.

He started by saying UNC football isn't UNC basketball so fans and players shouldn't expect to get calls in their favor, even at home.

Then, he proceeds to say he thinks UNC is the more talented team, just not the smarter team.

After that, he praises Duke for being tough and deserving of the win because they made winning plays.

Finally, Fedora finishes by stating Duke got almost all the calls and he tried to warn the players that would happen in the pregame preparation because he knew that would happen.

To be fair, Duke did get the benefit of some non-calls on a facemask and possible horse collar. But the Ebron "missed PI call" was what set them off most. Too bad it wasn't actually pass interference.

uh_no
11-30-2013, 04:54 PM
To be fair, Duke did get the benefit of some non-calls on a facemask and possible horse collar. But the Ebron "missed PI call" was what set them off most. Too bad it wasn't actually pass interference.

i mean, not to mention the heinous block on the back on his 79 yard reception....

devildeac
11-30-2013, 04:55 PM

And (s)miles to go until we sleep...

NYBri
11-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Wow wow wwwwwwoooooooowwwwww!

peloton
11-30-2013, 04:59 PM
A little too close for my liking. Sometimes these pesky basketball schools will give you a good game when you're not expecting it. Credit to them for hanging with us, that team looks like it might be pretty good in a few years.

By the way Potato Head, great post I have to say. This just in...as I'm typing this we just got props during the the Auburn/Alabama game with a clip of Devon Edwards' interception in the 4th quarter...very cool indeed. "Oh, the times they are a changin'".

FerryFor50
11-30-2013, 05:00 PM
i mean, not to mention the heinous block on the back on his 79 yard reception....

Oh yea, that one, too.

But Duke gets all the calls...

shereec
11-30-2013, 05:07 PM
So happy!!
:D

davekay1971
11-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Oh yea, that one, too.

But Duke gets all the calls...

The IC fools are starting in with that whining as well.

They can review tape of every play and every call or non call next Saturday while Duke is playing for the ACC championship game.

Pathetic, though, that Fedora went with that sorry line of excuses. I guess he and his IC fans can sit in the film room together looking at all the calls while we play for the championship. Enjoy yourselves, guys. The Rams Club can bring the whine and cheese.

Reilly
11-30-2013, 05:10 PM
... Fedora finishes by stating Duke got almost all the calls and he tried to warn the players that would happen in the pregame preparation because he knew that would happen....

It's really rich when a school that engages in massive academic fraud, that cheats and is caught red-handed, and is punished ... a school that brings such dishonor to the very idea of fair play and sportsmanship and college athletics ... that then they are the ones who allege some sort of conspiracy by the officials and call the integrity of the game into question ....

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that such a low class outfit would engage in such lower class behavior, but I am. He should be smacked down for his comments. What a losing crybaby. What a loser. What a bunch of cheating scum.

devildeac
11-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Penalties:

Duke: 5/55
unc: 9/85

I remember one face mask not called on us that probably should have been flagged but probably 2 others that were plus the horse collar plus 2 false starts, IIRC. Someone had an ACC "penalty post" this week that showed us the 3rd least penalized team this year and the cheaters in the top 3 (I think) of the most penalized teams. Plus the no-call block in the back on that 70+ yard TD catch and run. And someone in chat thought the unc receiver took a total dive on the PI no-call.

Reilly
11-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Ring the Victory Bell all damn night .....

Hail to the Coastal Division Champions!!!!!!!!!

killerleft
11-30-2013, 05:34 PM

It was a hard-fought battle. I could almost taste that poor placekicker for UNC hitting a 48-yarder in a classic rivalry game finish. It was Jordan DeWalt's fault that ended the Tar Heels chances, not a ref's. He hit the QB's arm and caused the fluttering pass that DeVon Edwards (there's that name again!) intercepted. We did what winning teams do. Fedora did the dance of the bad loser, which I hope is an annual thing for him, bless his pea-pickin' heart. I'm enjoying the Victory Bell and would love to keep it for awhile.

Newton_14
11-30-2013, 05:50 PM
WOW!

Congrats to the newly crowned and "Legit" Coastal Division Champions! Well done Coach Cutcliffe, staff, and players! You are truly champions and earned it on the field by winning games.

Larry The Loser can cry his way to Hell, but for the second year in a row the better team won the football game on the field. Here's an idea Larry, learn to stop the run because Duke ran the ball down your throat for the second straight year. LOL at his press conference.

4 seasons ago I sat in Wally Wade and watched a fairly close game between Duke and unc-cheat, and noted that the difference in size, speed, and talent between the two teams was strikingly different. We were so much smaller, slower, and less talented, yet even then they could not dominate us. Here we are 4 years later and that gap is now tiny, or maybe not there at all. The better team won the game by lining up and playing smash mouth football. No smoke and mirrors, no trickery, just line up and execute.

Cutcliffe has done exactly what he said he was going to do, which is compete for and win championships. It has been wonderful to watch it all come together.

Congrats to Duke Football! 2013 Coastal Division Champions! As Tim Brando put it during half-time of the Bama/Auburn game, "Duke will Represent at the ACC Championship Game next week". On to Charlotte boys!

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 06:01 PM
WOW!

Congrats to the newly crowned and "Legit" Coastal Division Champions! Well done Coach Cutcliffe, staff, and players! You are truly champions and earned it on the field by winning games.

Larry The Loser can cry his way to Hell, but for the second year in a row the better team won the football game on the field. Here's an idea Larry, learn to stop the run because Duke ran the ball down your throat for the second straight year. LOL at his press conference.

4 seasons ago I sat in Wally Wade and watched a fairly close game between Duke and unc-cheat, and noted that the difference in size, speed, and talent between the two teams was strikingly different. We were so much smaller, slower, and less talented, yet even then they could not dominate us. Here we are 4 years later and that gap is now tiny, or maybe not there at all. The better team won the game by lining up and playing smash mouth football. No smoke and mirrors, no trickery, just line up and execute.

Cutcliffe has done exactly what he said he was going to do, which is compete for and win championships. It has been wonderful to watch it all come together.

Congrats to Duke Football! 2013 Coastal Division Champions! As Tim Brando put it during half-time of the Bama/Auburn game, "Duke will Represent at the ACC Championship Game next week". On to Charlotte boys!

Or as they said at the halftime of the UGA-Tech game, "everybody knows about 'Coach K.' Now, they're going to hear about 'Coach Cut!'"

NYBri
11-30-2013, 06:10 PM
It's really rich when a school that engages in massive academic fraud, that cheats and is caught red-handed, and is punished ... a school that brings such dishonor to the very idea of fair play and sportsmanship and college athletics ... that then they are the ones who allege some sort of conspiracy by the officials and call the integrity of the game into question ....

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that such a low class outfit would engage in such lower class behavior, but I am. He should be smacked down for his comments. What a losing crybaby. What a loser. What a bunch of cheating scum.

I really haven't had a chance to watch UNC play this year. Or last year for that matter. Except for the two times we beat them. I'm amazed at how dirty undisciplined and whiny the entire team seems to be.

Coach Cut says that in order to be physically strong you have to be mentally strong and mental strength comes from character. UNC is the complete opposite of that assessment.

loran16
11-30-2013, 06:17 PM
They missed 3 picks, one of which the guy clearly had.

They had an uncalled block in the back call on Ebron's 80 yard pass in the first.

They were down 10-7 punting to us when Crowder stupidly muffed a punt.

They had two punts downed inside the 3 thanks to magical bounces.

Seriously , they had every opportunity to win and failed miserably. They do not have the right to whine about refs.

devildeac
11-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Also newly "crowned" champions of the state of North Carolina;) .

uh_no
11-30-2013, 06:20 PM

newly crowned?

you mean 2x defending champs :)

6-0 in the past 2 years

WFx2
UNCx2
NCSU
NCCU

devildeac
11-30-2013, 06:21 PM

devildeac
11-30-2013, 06:22 PM
newly crowned?

you mean 2x defending champs :)

6-0 in the past 2 years

WFx2
UNCx2
NCSU
NCCU

Ok, I'll take that, too.:D:D

loran16
11-30-2013, 06:23 PM
PS: I want to talk about how well the "Braxtons" played today.

Braxton Deaver 7 catches for 65 yards, no drops.
Brandon Braxton: 5 catches for 70 yards, no drops.

Huge for this team to have reliable second and third options.

FerryFor50
11-30-2013, 06:28 PM
They missed 3 picks, one of which the guy clearly had.

They had an uncalled block in the back call on Ebron's 80 yard pass in the first.

They were down 10-7 punting to us when Crowder stupidly muffed a punt.

They had two punts downed inside the 3 thanks to magical bounces.

Seriously , they had every opportunity to win and failed miserably. They do not have the right to whine about refs.

They also had several converted 4th downs, a 2pt conversion and got to Boone a few times.

The punts led to a couple long Duke drives.

UNC definitely had chances to pull it out.

NYBri
11-30-2013, 06:30 PM
PS: I want to talk about how well the "Braxtons" played today.

Braxton Deaver 7 catches for 65 yards, no drops.
Brandon Braxton: 5 catches for 70 yards, no drops.

Huge for this team to have reliable second and third options.

Brandon had some HUGE catches. Great game for him!

uh_no
11-30-2013, 06:35 PM
They also had several converted 4th downs, a 2pt conversion and got to Boone a few times.

The punts led to a couple long Duke drives.

UNC definitely had chances to pull it out.

2-12 on third down.....

we were 8-15.....

those numbers would have been unimaginable before this year....even last year we would often get killed on third down

davekay1971
11-30-2013, 06:47 PM
This just in:

UNC will be hanging a banner and passing out rings to commemorate the 2013 football team's season.

The banner and rings will read: "UNC Football 2013: Would Have Been Coastal Co-Champions Except For The Refs"

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 06:49 PM
those numbers would have been unimaginable before this year....even last year we would often get killed on third down

On both sides of the ball.

The biggest difference, IMO, between last year and this. And, of course, red zone efficiency.

devildeac
11-30-2013, 06:55 PM
This just in:

UNC will be hanging a banner and passing out rings to commemorate the 2013 football team's season.

The banner and rings will read: "UNC Football 2013: Would Have Been Coastal Co-Champions Except For The Refs"

You forgot: Fifth place, Coastal Division.

:rolleyes:;)

davekay1971
11-30-2013, 07:06 PM
You forgot: Fifth place, Coastal Division.

:rolleyes:;)

So sad. Such a fine line between "Division Champs (sort of)" and "Bottom Half of the Division."

uh_no
11-30-2013, 07:08 PM
So sad. Such a fine line between "Division Champs (sort of)" and "Bottom Half of the Division."

one might call it....a caro-LINE-a :)

jipops
11-30-2013, 07:24 PM
I was there. It was wonderful.

Our defense saves again.

Looking forward to being in Charlotte next week.

As an aside, UNC has a real jv operation going on in managing game traffic. I left Raleigh 2 hours before kickoff and missed the 1st quarter. I got home 3 hours after the game ended. Horrible. Thank god we won.

kingboozer
11-30-2013, 07:51 PM
I have watched Duke football my entire life, through thick and thin. From Spurrier days to the Roof days I have always been proud of my Devils. Today was validation that we are a good football team and we are no longer pushovers. Our guys play with heart and coaches always believe in them, bravo!

Is it time for David Cutcliffe Field at Wallace Wade Stadium?!?

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-30-2013, 07:52 PM

I just watched his post game comments online and they didn't seem like they had been edited... I heard none of what you are referencing. Was it a locker room interview or something where he spewed all that stuff? Not trying to defend the headband. Just curious where and to whom he said those things?

Dukehky
11-30-2013, 08:06 PM
I didn't really know where else to put this, but after a historical day for Duke football, Auburn made the biggest play in college football history. Thinking through all of the other huge plays they show all the time, this one had the most impact. Eliminated a potential three-peat champion, and was just spectacular

alteran
11-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Great win!

What else would you expect from the heels?

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 08:09 PM
I didn't really know where else to put this, but after a historical day for Duke football, Auburn made the biggest play in college football history. Thinking through all of the other huge plays they show all the time, this one had the most impact. Eliminated a potential three-peat champion, and was just spectacular

That, and the replay that put the second back on the clock to give them the fg opportunity. Wow.

Native
11-30-2013, 08:28 PM

This also means that we're almost assuredly playing the #1 team in the nation for the ACC Title.

Pretty sweet.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Great article about today's victory from the Chronicle https://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2013/11/30/coastal-division-champions-duke-football-tops-unc-27-25

Best part is near the end: "I just think people need to believe that Duke football is going to be a powerhouse," Cash said. "Whether you want to believe it or not, we are going to run the ACC."

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-30-2013, 08:46 PM
So is the Commonwealth of Virginia!
Love, Ima

devildeac
11-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Love, Ima

Old news, Ima. We won that weeks ago;) .

roywhite
11-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Great article about today's victory from the Chronicle https://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2013/11/30/coastal-division-champions-duke-football-tops-unc-27-25

Best part is near the end: "I just think people need to believe that Duke football is going to be a powerhouse," Cash said. "Whether you want to believe it or not, we are going to run the ACC."

Congrats to you, DitBD.

Not many have been as loyal and supportive over the years.

Sweet.

pamtar
11-30-2013, 09:25 PM
As an Iron Duke and a previously, maybe still a little bit, NCSU football fan I'm not ashamed to say that I am a Coach Cut Bandwagoneer! Watching DFB over the past two years has been quite exciting! Its easy to get attached to someone who represents themselves and their school with such high character. Today was just as awesome as any of the times I've watched Duke beat UNC on the hardwood - and equally nerve racking! My fingernails look like Stevie Wonder cut them! I'm especially happy for, and envious of, those fans who rooted for Duke through thick and thin. Today must feel extra special for you guys!

I'm not counting Duke out against FSU. This team finds ways to win. If its close in the 4th quarter I like our (can I say "our"??) chances!

BlueDevilBrowns
11-30-2013, 09:25 PM
I just watched his post game comments online and they didn't seem like they had been edited... I heard none of what you are referencing. Was it a locker room interview or something where he spewed all that stuff? Not trying to defend the headband. Just curious where and to whom he said those things?

It was a radio interview on the Tarheel radio network.

duke79
11-30-2013, 09:50 PM
What a season !!! Congrats to Coach Cut, his assistants, the players and everyone else associated with Duke football. If Coach Cut is not given serious consideration for national coach of the year, it will be an outrage.

Obviously I'm not going to predict that Duke will beat Florida State this weekend, but does anyone else think it would somewhat comparable to when the Duke BB team beat UNLV in 1991. As I remember, almost no one gave Duke a chance to win that game and it did seem like it was boys playing men in that game, but the Duke team did pull off a miracle win. Obviously, a win over Florida State in football would be an even bigger upset but good luck to the Duke players and coaches. Let's at least hope for no serious injuries.

4Gen
11-30-2013, 09:54 PM

Cash is money.

Jderf
11-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Haven't been able to post much lately. Just don't really have the time these days. But if an exception is to be made, this is the thread for it. What a game! Biggest win in my lifetime, at the very least! That is to say, the biggest win... for now. Can't wait to see what these boys do next.

Gutsy play all around. A joy to watch. Congrats to the players and the coaches.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Congrats to you, DitBD.

Not many have been as loyal and supportive over the years.

Sweet.

Thank you! As I told someone else recently, never underestimate what a determined woman can do. I've had this vision for many years, based somewhat on a memory of what was. I've never doubted it could happen.

We have seen the promised land and it is OURS!

devildeac
11-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Love, Ima

Old news, Ima. We won that weeks ago;) .

And apparently, when the clock read 0:00, we had a contingent of fans/Crazies, who chanted "Our State" instead of "Our House.":D

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-30-2013, 11:30 PM
It was a radio interview on the Tarheel radio network.
Thanks.

What a tool. Complimentary and humble during the postgame and then whining and pandering to the fans on the radio.

We should put up a coastal div championship billboard on 15-501 (not really, but that would be frickin hilarious).

Duke_92
11-30-2013, 11:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_Coast_Conference_football_champio ns

So basically State won an ACC championship in 1979 and UNC won in 1980. We've been champs of some sort twice since that time. Just let that sink in. Let's rub salt on the wound and win next week too. On to Charlotte.;)

Duke of Nashville
12-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Wow.

Special Season to a Special Team.

Lots of former players deserve the credit for pushing the current depth of the roster. Without players like Thad Lewis, Sean Renfree, Donavon Varner, Conner Vernon, Matt Daniels, Vinny Rey, Vince Oghobaase, Desmond Scott etc...this program would not currently be headed to the ACC Championship Game.

In my heart this victory goes out to them.

All Champions in my book.

nyesq83
12-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Good post DofN.

The recent graduates were and are fine young men who deserve recognition for elevating the program.

wilson
12-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Wow.

Lots of former players deserve the credit for pushing the current depth of the roster. Without players like Thad Lewis, Sean Renfree, Donavon Varner, Conner Vernon, Matt Daniels, Vinny Rey, Vince Oghobaase, Desmond Scott etc...this program would not currently be headed to the ACC Championship Game.

Good post DofN.

The recent graduates were and are fine young men who deserve recognition for elevating the program.
Agreed, and can we add Ayanga Okpokowuruk to the list? Because it's really fun to say his name.

IBleedBlue
12-01-2013, 12:32 AM
I think the best part of this Duke team is that this team persisted, survived, grew day by day, year over year. And Coach Cutcliffe is a no non-sense, high demand coach grooming young men on and off the field.
I am proud of this Duke Football team which wins without all the NCAA violations / cases that other top power houses have (e.g. Cam Newtons sale at Auburn / Johnny Manziel's autograph pocket money at TAMU).
I wish these young men all the best in future, no matter what happens from this point forward. I wish them good luck in their careers and hope they succeed in their personal and professional lives.
This team has earned their keep!! No other way to slice it!!

And I also hope that Coach Cutcliffe sticks around Duke for longer!! I can already see some athletic directors making plans to approach him this coming off-season!

nyesq83
12-01-2013, 03:02 AM
Coach Cut has built a program, I would be shocked if he left. He has support. From Der Brodhead throughout present Duke and alumni.

Hell, Danowski tweeted "Cut for President" and that could mean two things LOL.

K is fortunate Cut is here to distract from the young team. haha

devildeac
12-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Agreed, and can we add Ayanga Okpokowuruk to the list? Because it's really fun to say his name.

Then we might as well add Patrick Kurunwune, Chris Rwabukamba and Michael Tauiliili-more cool names and young men I enjoyed watching play the game and help re-build the program.

hillsborodevil
12-01-2013, 08:48 AM
I'll take a Duke BB loss to Arizona for a FB win over the Cheaters on the Hill any day of the week.

Hope Coach Cut turns down off season offers. He deserves a huge pay raise and a new university building named after him with a statue to boot.

dbcooper
12-01-2013, 10:05 AM
This is Karma to the classless Heels from last week running the score up by 60 points with the starters still in against Old Dominion. I am soooo glad we rubbed their noses in it in their stadium in front of their fans. UNC makes 10 wins and sets the all time win record for Duke University Football .... Could it be a sweeter victory against the dirty classless college of Chapel Hill?!!!!! Thank you Cut, Thank you team and Thanks for our Classy Fans! Cut is a perfect fit at Duke University!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Wow.

Based on what I read in various forums and venues, all the former players who kept the football program going even during the darkest hours deserve some credit and appreciation. Let's not forget those who toiled on the field for Duke while being publicly ridiculed by their own professors, classmates and president... and most sports media. What a difference it is to change from being vilified to being celebrated!

Faison1
12-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Based on what I read in various forums and venues, all the former players who kept the football program going even during the darkest hours deserve some credit and appreciation. Let's not forget those who toiled on the field for Duke while being publicly ridiculed by their own professors, classmates and president... and most sports media. What a difference it is to change from being vilified to being celebrated!

No doubt about it! There were times in the not-so-distant past where people said we should move to DII...or whatever it's called. Congrats to Coach Cut and all the players who proved them wrong!

My favorite part of yesterday was the post-game interview on the field where the reporter asked Cut how he felt, and he said he was about to cry....then went and hugged his family. Major, major accomplishment.

I only hear whispers, as opposed to screams, of other offers coming in for Cut. Has he sent a signal that he's staying? I sure as heck hope so. Next season could be magical, too. And shortly thereafter, Duke would erect a statue to Coach Cut.

FerryFor50
12-01-2013, 10:49 AM
This is Karma to the classless Heels from last week running the score up by 60 points with the starters still in against Old Dominion. I am soooo glad we rubbed their noses in it in their stadium in front of their fans. UNC makes 10 wins and sets the all time win record for Duke University Football .... Could it be a sweeter victory against the dirty classless college of Chapel Hill?!!!!! Thank you Cut, Thank you team and Thanks for our Classy Fans! Cut is a perfect fit at Duke University!!

41-0 would have been sweeter...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/09/2323001/spurrier-older-ball-coach-lot.html

I'll take 10 wins, though..

moonpie23
12-01-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm sorry that i'm late to the party…..i had to work ALL day yesterday and got home just in time to see my gamecocks destroy clemson. After that, i got DRUNK with joy reading IC……….that was incredibly entertaining…..

Congrats to coach CUT, his staff, and especially the team!! GO DUKE!!

since mizzou won, i'm a tad worried that duke will get SC in a bowl…….i'd be in a mobius loop then….

dbcooper
12-01-2013, 10:55 AM

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/09/2323001/spurrier-older-ball-coach-lot.html

I love the "Old Ball Coach" and from what I've read he still loves Duke! I still pull for him at SC and love that he puts just "Carolina" on the football Jerseys...I secretly think he does that for Duke and to piss off UNC!!
Go Duke!

wilko
12-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Obviously UNC was wore out from that and had "tired legs"

devildeac
12-01-2013, 10:57 AM

Pecan pie or Kentucky bourbon pecan pie? I'll have a slice of each, please;).

Imperial stout or bourbon barrel aged imperial stout? A pint of each, please.

Both to share with my friends and family.

Papa John
12-01-2013, 03:23 PM
I really haven't had a chance to watch UNC play this year. Or last year for that matter. Except for the two times we beat them. I'm amazed at how dirty undisciplined and whiny the entire team seems to be.

Fedora has demonstrated a propensity for whining, for celebrating unearned victories, and for looking the other way when his kids are caught taking cheap shots. As a result, his players are undisciplined and easily lose focus... Personally, I'll be surprised if he sticks at UNC beyond the customary 4-5 years that are normally given to a coach to demonstrate success on the gridiron. He had success at Southern Miss, but success in Conference USA is a far cry from building and maintaining a successful BCS program, in my opinion...

wilson
12-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Personally, I'll be surprised if he sticks at UNC beyond the customary 4-5 years that are normally given to a coach to demonstrate success on the gridiron. He had success at Southern Miss, but success in Conference USA is a far cry from building and maintaining a successful BCS program, in my opinion...Interesting take. Fedora is kind of a curious case in my opinion. On one hand, he seems to mesh well with carolina's recent penchant for ignoring a lot of warts in the name of athletic achievement. On the other hand, the heel faithful will, I think, turn on him quickly if he doesn't start producing at a higher level. Big difference between chapel hill and Hattiesburg, Mississippi: Southern Miss fans appreciate success, while heel fans have an absurdly overinflated sense of their football program's specialness and national relevance. 7 or 8 wins a season out of very talented and athletic, yet undisciplined football rosters will not cut the mustard for long in chapel hill, especially as long as Cut and our boys keep winning like this.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Interesting take. Fedora is kind of a curious case in my opinion. On one hand, he seems to mesh well with carolina's recent penchant for ignoring a lot of warts in the name of athletic achievement. On the other hand, the heel faithful will, I think, turn on him quickly if he doesn't start producing at a higher level. Big difference between chapel hill and Hattiesburg, Mississippi: Southern Miss fans appreciate success, while heel fans have an absurdly overinflated sense of their football program's specialness and national relevance. 7 or 8 wins a season out of very talented and athletic, yet undisciplined football rosters will not cut the mustard for long in chapel hill, especially as long as Cut and our boys keep winning like this.

The general consensus on IC was that Cut outcoached Fedora. Very complimentary of Cut, by and large.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2013, 04:06 PM
The general consensus on IC was that Cut outcoached Fedora. Very complimentary of Cut, by and large.
It's what the folk in education call insight, a higher level thinking skill.

arnie
12-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Well that and of course the refs. We apparently held on every offensive play and the refs got caught up in the good feel story. Fedora somewhat agreed with IC on his show.

GoDuke2004
12-01-2013, 05:11 PM

Also, when I was at the game Saturday, I noticed this was the consensus of the Heels fans around me too. They we're incredibly respectful and complimentary of Coach Cut.

DukieInKansas
12-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm still smiling. A huge thank you, again, to Coach Cutcliffe, the staff, and the players - past and present - that have brought our football program to this point.

sagegrouse
12-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Also, when I was at the game Saturday, I noticed this was the consensus of the Heels fans around me too. They we're incredibly respectful and complimentary of Coach Cut.

I'm still smiling. A huge thank you, again, to Coach Cutcliffe, the staff, and the players - past and present - that have brought our football program to this point.

Cold water in the face comment: Cut hasn't yet won enough games at Duke to be truly hated. That time will come.

sagegrouse

DukieInKansas
12-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Question about the celebration on the field yesterday - does anyone know who the guy was in the cowboy hat that was ringing the Victory Bell?

Cell-R
12-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Question about the celebration on the field yesterday - does anyone know who the guy was in the cowboy hat that was ringing the Victory Bell?

I'm not sure if he had a cowboy hat on or not, but I saw someone jump the fence in front of the student section and proceed to run around on the field. Security didn't notice him. He was following the victory bell as it made its way across the field last I saw him. :cool:

davekay1971
12-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Cold water in the face comment: Cut hasn't yet won enough games at Duke to be truly hated. That time will come.

sagegrouse

Yep. Just let Duke beat UNC again next year and have a more successful season, and the anti-Cut hate will be in full force. They don't hate K because he's any less good of a man than Cut...they hate him because he's taken ACC supremacy away from their basketball program.

Already yesterday on IC there was plenty of evidence that this could be tolerated only for so long. Plenty of comments about how the refs gave it to us, about how Duke is the laughingstock of ACC football and always will be, about how Duke's season was the result only of a sorry schedule (as if UNC didn't lose to any teams that we beat) about how Cut will undoubtedly depart Durham momentarily, etc. If he decides to continue here for the duration of his career, and if he can sustain anything like this level of success, and especially if our annual win total tends to exceed theirs...the hate will come.

hurleyfor3
12-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Plenty of comments about how the refs gave it to us, about how Duke is the laughingstock of ACC football and always will be

Reminder (to unc fans, not davekay): Duke is playing in an ACC Championship game and unc never has.

BD80
12-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Reminder (to unc fans, not davekay): Duke is playing in an ACC Championship game and unc never has.

The Helms committee has a meeting scheduled to remedy the situation. There is a little confusion, the room is double booked with an AFAM lecture.

OZ
12-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Plenty of comments about how Duke is the laughingstock of ACC football

I think I might possibly agree with IC.
Let's see now, I laughed all the way home from Chapaheel Saturday...In fact, I couldn't stop smiling!!! I will be laughing all the way to Charlotte this Saturday... then I am going to laugh all the way to a major bowl bid. And all the while that I am laughing, they will be whining about refs. And I thought Gary Williams had retired.

chaosmage
12-01-2013, 11:05 PM
tas0417
All-ACC
546 posts this site
Posted: Today 8:52 AM
Re: This loss is unacceptable.

Don't you remember our rings from last year?

Nothing more needs to be said. Nothing. ;):D

Dev11
12-02-2013, 11:54 AM
I haven't gotten to post in here yet since I was away from a computer all weekend.

I screamed. I fell on the ground. I screamed some more. I may have even cried just a little bit. The people in hotel rooms near to mine were probably concerned.

We accomplished so much on Saturday. Now that Carolina is sufficiently in hell, we can go about our business of beating Florida State and playing a college football game in January.

Congratulations to the seniors, who finished with an even record against the Heels.

JStuart
12-02-2013, 12:03 PM
tas0417
All-ACC
546 posts this site
Posted: Today 8:52 AM
Re: This loss is unacceptable.

Don't you remember our rings from last year?

Nothing more needs to be said. Nothing. ;):D

Just an observation: you know M. John Swofford had to have been in attendance, since there was the possibility of a Division Championship being awarded -as it was in the locker room post-game.
Why was a lesser official -representing M. Swofford- the one who presented it?
Had the situation been reversed, don't you think Johnny would have done the honors himself?
Again, just an observation.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Just an observation: you know M. John Swofford had to have been in attendance, since there was the possibility of a Division Championship being awarded -as it was in the locker room post-game.
Had the situation been reversed, don't you think Johnny would have done the honors himself?
I thought of that, but decided it really didn't matter. Duke won.

budwom
12-02-2013, 01:23 PM
One could argue about which roster (UNC or Duke) has more talent, but I don't think any lucid observer could
deny that Duke is a far better coached team.

I was so sick of those decades (literally) where unc would just run up and
down the field on us all day. The nightmare is over.

uh_no
12-02-2013, 02:46 PM

there were 4 teams that could have won the division on saturday.....commish couldn't have been at all the games...he probably went to whichever was most convenient.

roywhite
12-02-2013, 02:59 PM
One could argue about which roster (UNC or Duke) has more talent, but I don't think any lucid observer could
deny that Duke is a far better coached team.

I was so sick of those decades (literally) where unc would just run up and
down the field on us all day. The nightmare is over.

yeah, no doubt on the coaching side

Just my .02 on the relative talent -- Duke has greatly improved in many areas -- team speed, running back, offensive line, and love the young secondary guys
UNC still gets a few NFL draft type players, and we haven't (yet) had many in that category; I'll be curious to see who the pros like on our current roster

alteran
12-02-2013, 03:00 PM
there were 4 teams that could have won the division on saturday.....commish couldn't have been at all the games...he probably went to whichever was most convenient.

Well, there was one game that was at his alma mater, and it was also the only game where a single winner could be crowned. All the other teams would have been co-champs.

But as DitBD wisely noted, it doesn't matter.

ForkFondler
12-02-2013, 03:45 PM

GT was eliminated on Friday, when Miami beat Pitt. So there were only two games, and only Duke could have won outright.