PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Arizona 72, Duke 66

sagegrouse
11-28-2013, 10:36 AM
For the championship of the preseason NIT. Here are the challenges for the Devils:

Taking care of the ball. Nineteen turnovers vs. Alabama - some of them truly klutzy.
Forty minutes of defense. The first 25 against Alabama were an intense effort, but then confusion seemed to reign and Alabama got a lot of easy baskets.
The Arizona front line of Kaleb Tarczewski and phenom Aaron Gordon will be Duke's biggest challenge. We'll see who gets the call and who guards whom.
Where are you, Amile Jefferson? You will get lots of minutes against the Wildcats and a chance to improve over last night.
Back in the saddle, Rodney Hood! Rumors of your sublimation have been greatly exaggerated. We will need a strong game from you against a tough Wildcat team. You will likely be guarded by Brandon Ashley or Hollis-Jefferson.
The Duke guards will be key. Quinn was effective on offense, although sloppy with the ball last night. Matt Jones had a very good game; Sulaimon seemed to come on at the end. Sage here thought Tyler had a very strong game against Alabama; he'll see a lot of action against Zona.

Let's go, Duke!

sagegrouse

BD80
11-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Legitimate chance for Marshall to get some PT. Tarczewski is a match-up problem, and Parker is the only regular close to strong enough to keep him off the blocks. Don't want to waste Jabari's fouls or energy holding off Tarczewski the entire game.

CR9
11-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Hopefully they figure out how to beat the press and score against the zone because those were the 2 biggest issues I saw last night.

NYBri
11-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Hopefully they figure out how to beat the press and score against the zone because those were the 2 biggest issues I saw last night.

I'm sure that will be addressed...just like the the team defense and the free throw shooting was. Remember last week all the panic about the defense? And the FT shooting the week before?

Young team with a quick learning curve.

roywhite
11-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Uncle Fester (Seth Greenberg) and our own Jason Williams both picked Arizona in a brief preview last night on the Worldwide Leader.

CR9
11-28-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm sure that will be addressed...just like the the team defense and the free throw shooting was. Remember last week all the panic about the defense? And the FT shooting the week before?

Young team with a quick learning curve.

Hope you're right because it's scary what happens to them when a team goes zone.

MChambers
11-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Uncle Fester (Seth Greenberg) and our own Jason Williams both picked Arizona in a brief preview last night on the Worldwide Leader.

Then I like our chances!

NYBri
11-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Hope you're right because it's scary what happens to them when a team goes zone.

So much for a young team to learn. Lessons in November and December can pay off in Feb. and March if we learn.

I'd rather we learn now and perhaps drop a game or two in the process, and use it make a run in March. 2010 comes to mind.

I think we will be in any game because we have Jabari.

Duvall
11-28-2013, 12:50 PM

That's not an exaggeration at all.

DukeAlumBS
11-28-2013, 01:13 PM

I like our chances on this one. Seth has been wrong on us for some time now. Jay confuses me as well. I am gonna be there, after I saw what Seth chose. Duke by 20!
Gonna be a great time for me. I love the garden, saw many games there or the Meadowlands as well.
Nice thanksgiving my friends
Jimmy

slower
11-28-2013, 01:46 PM
I like our chances on this one. Seth has been wrong on us for some time now. Jay confuses me as well. I am gonna be there, after I saw what Seth chose. Duke by 20!
Gonna be a great time for me. I love the garden, saw many games there or the Meadowlands as well.
Nice thanksgiving my friends
Jimmy

Duke by 20, huh, Jimmy? Alrighty, then.

CR9
11-28-2013, 01:47 PM
That's not an exaggeration at all.

It's not. You can attribute every scoring drought this team has had to teams switching to zone. The lack of coaching adjustments is astonishing.

Duvall
11-28-2013, 01:48 PM
It's not. You can attribute every scoring drought this team has had to teams switching to zone. The lack of coaching adjustments is astonishing.

Scoring droughts?

Kedsy
11-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Did Alabama start the game in a zone? Because we scored 5 points in the game's first 8 minutes. So I'm not sure you're right about the "every."

But I agree to some extent that we haven't fared so well against zones. There's lots of possible reasons for that, however. One thing I've wondered about is if we don't practice any zone defense, how do we practice playing against a zone? You'd think it would be difficult to do in games if we never face any zones in practice, wouldn't you?

DWINS
11-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Arizona doesn't play zone so you don't need to worry on that account.

Sir Stealth
11-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Did Alabama start the game in a zone? Because we scored 5 points in the game's first 8 minutes. So I'm not sure you're right about the "every."

But I agree to some extent that we haven't fared so well against zones. There's lots of possible reasons for that, however. One thing I've wondered about is if we don't practice any zone defense, how do we practice playing against a zone? You'd think it would be difficult to do in games if we never face any zones in practice, wouldn't you?

I could be remembering incorrectly or have seen it wrong from seats in the game, but pretty sure that Alabama did start the game in zone and we were struggling with that.

Quinn certainly wasn't perfect, but it felt like the team was on his shoulders for much of this game. Yes, Jabari is by far the best player and we leaned on him heavily for offense as usual. But Quinn just seemed to have a ton of responsibility handling the ball against strong pressure, making big shots on offense, feeding Jabari, and leading the defense on the ball. He looked like he hurt himself tweaking either an ankle or knee in the second half but soldiered on and played the whole game, all 40 minutes. He plays with a lot of emotion and we may go as he goes.

Dukehky
11-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Lets just put Semi on Gordon. He can bench press him like 200 times. That's got to be worth something right?

I think Arizona is a bit overrated, so we'll see. I thought Duke/Kansas was kind of a toss up game, but I think Duke is a better team than Arizona and that if both teams played their best that Duke would win. I said it in another thread but I think Hood goes for 20 and Sulaimon goes for a solid double digit game. Needless to say I think Jabari is going to show out in another game at the Mecca.

Kaleb is super aggressive on the boards and if our bigs focus on boxing him out, he will get fouls for over the backs and pushing. Get that kid out of the game and I think that negates their entire interior advantage.

Go Duke, let's make it another pre-season championship followed by another championship on Saturday. GTHC!

MChambers
11-28-2013, 03:04 PM

I thought Davidson used zone against Duke for quite a bit of the game, and we didn't have any problem with it (as the final score indicated).

roywhite
11-28-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm guessing Tyler starts again, but Josh Hairston does not.

Amile Jefferson
Jabari Parker
Rodney Hood
Tyler Thornton
Quinn Cook

Matt Jones has earned some playing time

TruBlu
11-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Lets just put Semi on Gordon. He can bench press him like 200 times. That's got to be worth something right?
GTHC!

Pretty sure that bench pressing someone is considered a foul under the new rules this season.

Concur with GTHC, however.

bbosbbos
11-28-2013, 06:59 PM
I like our chance, a 10 points win

77devil
11-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Duke by 20!
Jimmy

I'll take that bet for as much action as you like.

duke96
11-28-2013, 07:33 PM

Count me in too.

OldPhiKap
11-28-2013, 07:48 PM
I will take solid play on both ends of the court for 40 minutes, and whatever the result is it is.

We really miss the senior leadership of Ryan, Mason and Seth. We have a very talented team -- perhaps more than last year's even -- but leadership is a work in progress. That's why you play these games in November -- to develop towards March.

I am confident we can get there. But it will be a learning process. So embrace the team, enjoy the ride, and expect some fits and starts. This is still very early.

slower
11-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Do not doubt the wisdom of Jimmy or he will make you educate him.

And (Dear God, I can't believe I'm saying this) he has just as much chance of being right as anybody. I mean, he DID nail the Alabama margin.

JIMMY!

kAzE
11-29-2013, 02:15 AM
Hm, what's with Jay-Will this year? He used to be Irrational Homer Guy, and now he's going Jay Bilas on us. :p

I kinda miss Irrational Homer Jay-Will.

kAzE
11-29-2013, 02:26 AM
Just saw a pretty crazy stat: Guess who was the last player to open his college career with 7 straight 20 point games? Kevin Durant.

That Parker kid is pretty good.

nyesq83
11-29-2013, 02:29 AM
Sat in the corner near us when Jason had scored more than Temple, in a game in Philadelphia (misnomer city hahhahhaha).

We were so proud for her and him.

GTHC

nyesq83
11-29-2013, 02:31 AM
Hm, what's with Jay-Will this year? He used to be Irrational Homer Guy, and now he's going Jay Bilas on us. :p

I kinda miss Irrational Homer Jay-Will.

We will jell Jelly says, and wrap our defensive tentacles around their sorry butts.

kAzE
11-29-2013, 03:57 AM
We will jell Jelly says, and wrap our defensive tentacles around their sorry butts.

What??? I clearly don't get the reference, but awesome post, nonetheless. :)

wilko
11-29-2013, 07:59 AM
I get that K is trying to get the core guys to sense "blood in the water" and develop that killer instinct to put the game away.... however I really wouldnt mind seeing us platoon in more liberal substitutions with Murf, Semi, Mp3.... Jones has cracked it lately....would like to see it expand and see more guys....

Wear down the other team.... press trap and run...

hillsborodevil
11-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Legitimate chance for Marshall to get some PT. Tarczewski is a match-up problem, and Parker is the only regular close to strong enough to keep him off the blocks. Don't want to waste Jabari's fouls or energy holding off Tarczewski the entire game.

I agree.

I prefer a team with a “bruiser” type player. The bruiser’s job is to disrupt and agitate the opposing player. Foul hard and often. Tire and frustrate the opposing big man. If they foul out reward them with a job well done.

Both Semi and MP3 could fit the role. I know most people on the boards are against MP3. I sort of agree, but the big man will not improve sitting on the bench. Playing in real games versus practice is invaluable.

Of course bruisers also has its disadvantages. Most 7 footers have difficulty at the line, however, Tarczewski is shooting 75% from the line. In addition, the other team will go into the bonus quicker.

GTHC – but Dean was a master at playing his 2nd group and gaining valuable experience over the course of a season. Come tourney time he had an experienced bench. Duke’s chances will improve dramatically for an end of season run taking some lumps now and playing our big man.

freshmanjs
11-29-2013, 08:30 AM
GTHC – but Dean was a master at playing his 2nd group and gaining valuable experience over the course of a season. Come tourney time he had an experienced bench. Duke’s chances will improve dramatically for an end of season run taking some lumps now and playing our big man.

Ah. Just as much as Turkey and Black Friday, gripes about how Coach K doesn't use his bench properly signal the start of the holiday season. It's so comforting.

DukieInBrasil
11-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Ah. Just as much as Turkey and Black Friday, gripes about how Coach K doesn't use his bench properly signal the start of the holiday season. It's so comforting.

If only we had used the bench more vs. Davidson, the reserve players would have been ready for Kansas, allowing us to win by at least 20.

davekay1971
11-29-2013, 08:54 AM

Take a look at the bench depth of the 2001 and 2010 teams.

Back to the game at hand...Arizona presents a great early season challenge. They are as big and athletic as any team we will face this season. They will force our guys to focus on three areas of weakness, or get blown off the court: defense, rebounding, and maintaining focus.

I've gotten used to Duke being one of the most prepared teams at the beginning of the season over a long career of watching K's squads. This season is different, and fascinating. This team is so incredibly talented, but they have so much room for growth as a team. My Lord, can you imagine how good this team COULD be defensively? And how good that could make us, if we hit our defensive potential?

I'm with OPK. Games like this aren't about whether you win, although obviously I'd love to see a Duke win...they're about early season growth.

SheltonBob
11-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Looking forward to attending today's Arizona game. Wasn't it just yesterday when Christian Laettner missed the foul shot at the Meadowlands, as a freshman, which in many ways may have helped him grow into the great player he became? Although I am not comparing Marshall Plumlee to Christian Laettner, I am HOPING he gets playing time today and uses it effectively. This will be a fun season for Duke, but in my opinion unless Coach K lets MPIII learn and grow and make mistakes, the 2013-2014 will not reach the heights we all hope for. Perhaps a well played 8-12 minutes today against the Arizona big center - which Duke will need, IMO - may begin that positive journey for MPIII and th Devils.

duke96
11-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Looking forward to attending today's Arizona game. Wasn't it just yesterday when Christian Laettner missed the foul shot at the Meadowlands, as a freshman, which in many ways may have helped him grow into the great player he became? Although I am not comparing Marshall Plumlee to Christian Laettner, I am HOPING he gets playing time today and uses it effectively. This will be a fun season for Duke, but in my opinion unless Coach K lets MPIII learn and grow and make mistakes, the 2013-2014 will not reach the heights we all hope for. Perhaps a well played 8-12 minutes today against the Arizona big center - which Duke will need, IMO - may begin that positive journey for MPIII and th Devils.

Couldn't agree more. An investment in Marshall at this point in the season could pay big dividends later if he starts to get it together.

dukebballcamper90-91
11-29-2013, 09:41 AM
I hope we break press better and I think we will. Let's Go Duke!!!!!!!!

jv001
11-29-2013, 09:42 AM
I haven't see Zona play this year. So I don't know if they play mostly man to man, mostly zone or mix it up. If they play man to man, I think Jabari, Hood, Quinn and Rasheed will do well offensively. If they play zone, then I hope Andre lights them up. Our problems will come on defense and rebounding. But don't count the Blue Devils out. We've beaten better teams that were supposedly better than us. GoDuke!

NYBri
11-29-2013, 09:50 AM
I haven't see Zona play this year. So I don't know if they play mostly man to man, mostly zone or mix it up. If they play man to man, I think Jabari, Hood, Quinn and Rasheed will do well offensively. If they play zone, then I hope Andre lights them up. Our problems will come on defense and rebounding. But don't count the Blue Devils out. We've beaten better teams that were supposedly better than us. GoDuke!

Mostly man.

moonpie23
11-29-2013, 10:04 AM
i want to apologize for not wearing the lucky boxers on Vermont game day. I have since adjusted laundry day to reflect game day…..

tommy
11-29-2013, 11:32 AM
I agree.

I prefer a team with a “bruiser” type player. The bruiser’s job is to disrupt and agitate the opposing player. Foul hard and often. Tire and frustrate the opposing big man. If they foul out reward them with a job well done.

Both Semi and MP3 could fit the role. I know most people on the boards are against MP3. I sort of agree, but the big man will not improve sitting on the bench. Playing in real games versus practice is invaluable.

Throaty, this had got to be added to the next rollout of the Pocket Reference Guide. You know, that guys improve/earn time more by playing in games than by demonstrating readiness/competence in practice. A season doesn't go by without this issue being raised (and put to bed)

hillsborodevil
11-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Throaty, this had got to be added to the next rollout of the Pocket Reference Guide. You know, that guys improve/earn time more by playing in games than by demonstrating readiness/competence in practice. A season doesn't go by without this issue being raised (and put to bed)

It’s a national consensus that Duke lacks interior size. I would never expect MP3 to receive starter minutes but I believe he could be used more in spot minutes. IMO, lack of size in middle is reflecting on Duke’s poor defense. It will be interesting to see the rebounding stats after tonight’s game – win or lose.

subzero02
11-29-2013, 12:19 PM
We are a 2.5 point underdog... Their 7 foot center concerns me

Olympic Fan
11-29-2013, 12:56 PM
One small thing for us to think (worry) about tonight.

Duke has the second longest top 10 streak in basketball history -- well over 100 straight AP polls, dating back to November of 2008.

That record COULD be a jeopardy with a loss tonight. Normally, you wouldn't expect the No. 6 team to fall five places with a loss to the No. 4 team (although Louisville fell from No. 3 to No. 11 with the loss to No. 24 UNC), but after the poor showings in wins over ECU and Vermont, Duke could drop if it's less than a close, competitive game.

And even if it does turn out to be a close game and Duke drops to only No. 8 or so ... Michigan is on the horizon early next week.

Duke has GOT to win at least one of those two to keep the streak alive.

Of course, win both and the Devils will petty much be locked into the top 10 for the rest of the year, barring a complete collapse.

dukelifer
11-29-2013, 12:56 PM
We are a 2.5 point underdog... Their 7 foot center concerns me

Duke will need an A performance by all to win. Hood needs to be at his best and the team needs to stay out of foul trouble. Zona players will be looking to showcase. We will see if Duke can seize the moment.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-29-2013, 01:47 PM
One small thing for us to think (worry) about tonight.

Duke has the second longest top 10 streak in basketball history -- well over 100 straight AP polls, dating back to November of 2008.

That record COULD be a jeopardy with a loss tonight. Normally, you wouldn't expect the No. 6 team to fall five places with a loss to the No. 4 team (although Louisville fell from No. 3 to No. 11 with the loss to No. 24 UNC), but after the poor showings in wins over ECU and Vermont, Duke could drop if it's less than a close, competitive game.

And even if it does turn out to be a close game and Duke drops to only No. 8 or so ... Michigan is on the horizon early next week.

Duke has GOT to win at least one of those two to keep the streak alive.

Of course, win both and the Devils will petty much be locked into the top 10 for the rest of the year, barring a complete collapse.
Would be shocked if anyone inside the duke organization gave a rat's rear about this. It's meaningless really.

uh_no
11-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Would be shocked if anyone inside the duke organization gave a rat's rear about this. It's meaningless really.

i would be shocked if it wasn't important to coach K.....numerous times during the crazie "team meetings" he touted duke's gaudy record with respect to national rankings, namely how we've spent more time ranked #1 than unranked. now on a day to day basis, I'm sure it's largely irrelevant, and I doubt he says "we gotta win so we can keep the streak alive," but i think it would be an incorrect presumption that some part of him wants to keep that streak alive

K is proud of his program's success over a long period of time, he has mentioned the streak in the past, it's a 'nice' thing that reflects the strength of the program.....and no doubt it's something that can be brought up with recruits

duke79
11-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Small note: I believe Kaleb Tarc........., the Arizona center, played on the same high school team as Alex Murphy.

-jk
11-29-2013, 05:30 PM
K loves him some Championships! Let's get another!

DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open. Let's go Duke!

-jk

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Overtime, dammit! Our game will be late starting. C'mon somebody!

duke96
11-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Overtime, dammit! Our game will be late starting. C'mon somebody!

Unreal. Dinner was already going to start late. Drexel, maybe don't step on the line this time and try to score?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Argh! Double OT.

Troublemaker
11-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Will be interesting to see if Arizona can stay with their big lineup the entire game.

I suspect they'll be forced (by Duke outplaying them) to go small with Gordon at the 4 in sections of the game. Something like McConnell, York, Johnson, Gordon, and 1 of Tarc/Ashley as the lineup.

Then it'll become even more interesting, as Duke struggled against ECU and Vermont's small lineups, but played well against Alabama's.

Rondae Hollis Jefferson could be an x-factor in those lineups, replacing one of the guards, subbing for Gordon, or even playing alongside him.

77devil
11-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Unreal. Dinner was already going to start late. Drexel, maybe don't step on the line this time and try to score?

Another first world difficulty.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Good, time to watch the end of the LSU-Arkansas game.

nyesq83
11-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Dangit I am going to see a band called CHVRCHES and doors open at 7, first band on at 8.

Nobody knows da trouble I seen, nobody knows my sorrow!

slower
11-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Greenberg and Dakich having an absolute lovefest for Sean Miller.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Dangit I am going to see a band called CHVRCHES and doors open at 7, first band on at 8.

I saw them on Wednesday in Norfolk. Great show. I'm sure they'll go on at 9 again, but the opener is pretty skippable.

duke96
11-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Another first world difficulty.

Ha, indeed. To be clear, that part was meant to be a (probably not particularly funny or apparent) joke.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Triple OT.

nyesq83
Jeepers

chaosmage
Greenberg and Dakich having an absolute lovefest for Sean Miller.

I was wondering if someone had seen Miller walking on water or something, to hear them talk.

slower
11-29-2013, 06:23 PM
I was wondering if someone had seen Miller walking on water or something, to hear them talk.

Greenberg is positively giddy talking about the team's weaknesses.

Gotta be honest - I wish I was as optimistic as our friend Jimmy ("Duke by 20"), but I'm just not feeling it. Of course, as is ALWAYS the case - anything can happen. A victory tonight would be VERY sweet, indeed.

Tucknut
11-29-2013, 06:24 PM
I hope we have a different officiating crew for our game.

DU82
11-29-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. Triple OT.

Amen! It's cutting into my available sleep/ drive time to get to Chapel Hill by noon!

MChambers
11-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Greenberg is positively giddy talking about the team's weaknesses.
Too bad Seth isn't still coaching at VPI, where he could see Duke's weaknesses firsthand.

duke96
11-29-2013, 06:26 PM
I hope we have a different officiating crew for our game.

Truly. Poor Drexel cannot buy a call. They have won this game a few times over by now!

lotusland
11-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Amen! It's cutting into my available sleep/ drive time to get to Chapel Hill by noon!

So Watch ESPN showing 9:30 game time is incorrect?

nyesq83
11-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Hilarious to hear Duke (and Zona) fans rooting for the game to end in the background of the radio broadcast.

At least we heard some interesting interviews with Dr. White and AAD Mike Cragg.

Interesting happenings in the future - Hall of Fame game in CT in 2015(?)

Duke participating in the 80th birthday celebration of Phil Knight by all Nike-sponsored NCAA teams in 2016.

Just had Sam the Eagle (Matt Dougherty) on, too ewwww.

DU82
11-29-2013, 06:38 PM
So Watch ESPN showing 9:30 game time is incorrect?

That was Wednesday. It's 6:37, and the countdown clock says 16:32. So tipoff right around 7.

davekay1971
11-29-2013, 06:39 PM
This is a long, long time to watch Uncle Fester filibuster.

lotusland
11-29-2013, 06:59 PM
That was Wednesday. It's 6:37, and the countdown clock says 16:32. So tipoff right around 7.

Yep i had saved the link to the AL game as a favorite instead of the normal Watch ESPN home page so I was seeing the Al tip off time. Glad I checked in "early" on DBR or I would have missed it.

Duke05
11-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Bobby Knight was just in the booth but we get to listen to Dickie V instead. I feel so lucky...

riverside6
11-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Arizona

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=19932

slower
11-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Hairston and Thornton. 3-on-5 on offense.

NYBri
11-29-2013, 07:13 PM
We are going to need all the offense we can get in this one.

NYBri
11-29-2013, 07:15 PM
They also seem to be letting them play. Not used to seeing drives with no foul calls.

FerryFor50
11-29-2013, 07:18 PM
They also seem to be letting them play. Not used to seeing drives with no foul calls.

Seems pretty randomized to me...

Gthoma2a
11-29-2013, 07:22 PM

Yet, we're still seeing a game of skill and scoring. I had heard that wasn't possible.

I'd like to see us go a little deeper to see if we can find someone else to score. Parker is having a slow shooting night (for him), so we need to add more scoring. We aren't stopping their cuts, so scoring is our best chance (as usual for this team, so far).

FerryFor50
11-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Yet, we're still seeing a game of skill and scoring. I had heard that wasn't possible.

No, pretty sure it was that it wasn't possible to see a game with defense with the new rules. So far, nothing to change my mind on that.

davekay1971
11-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Arizona should be a little nervous that it's a tie game with Jabari so far a non-factor. If gets in the groove in the 2nd half, Duke looks to have the advantage...big time.

Gthoma2a
11-29-2013, 07:26 PM
No, pretty sure it was that it wasn't possible to see a game with defense with the new rules. So far, nothing to change my mind on that.

That's my point. We are seeing a game where guys can get into one another a bit, but it is one of the better games that I have seen.

Gthoma2a
11-29-2013, 07:27 PM
They have a tiny guy on Jabari. A CHARGE!!! I didn't think it was possible this year!

-jk
11-29-2013, 07:27 PM
We're missing switches again. two on one, leaving one open

-jk

NYBri
11-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Jabari needs to get going. Right on cue. :)

FerryFor50
11-29-2013, 07:31 PM
That's my point. We are seeing a game where guys can get into one another a bit, but it is one of the better games that I have seen.

Yea, but I'd rather they call the fouls where someone gets bumped on a drive than the ticky tack hand checks (like they one they called Amile for).

A lot of bumps on drives by guys that are not in defensive position when they bump the offensive player in this game..

NYBri
11-29-2013, 07:32 PM

-jk

They have 9 assists. We have 2.

Great game so far.

Gthoma2a
11-29-2013, 07:32 PM
That was one of the most ridiculous statements I have heard from Vitale. We need to go to six fouls, in case a star fouls a lot. Because the game is more about the superstars than the play. Just call the game in a way that makes sure every foul is really a foul. If a star fouls, he should be out.

duke96
11-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Jabari needs to get going. Right on cue. :)

Beautiful. Great aggressive take by hood draws foul #2 on the center, then his replacement is too short to cover Jabari who goes right to the post.

FerryFor50
11-29-2013, 07:33 PM
That McConnell kid is good.

DukeDevil
11-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Man...The talk coming into the game was about Gordon but McConnell has me extremely impressed.

-jk
11-29-2013, 07:37 PM
They have 9 assists. We have 2.

Great game so far.

'Cause we keep blowing switches. Again. (argh) Assists are easy when someone is wide open.

-jk

NYBri
That was one of the most ridiculous statements I have heard from Vitale. We need to go to six fouls, in case a star fouls a lot. Because the game is more about the superstars than the play. Just call the game in a way that makes sure every foul is really a foul. If a star fouls, he should be out.

Vitale echoing the ESPN mentality.

Gthoma2a
Just realized something. It is kind of crazy that we are playing the two schools that we really thought our package deal could go to. Hopefully this one yields a more favorable result.

On the McConnell being good thing, they have a few guys that are pretty good. I just hope that we keep them from turning it into a rebounding contest. I think we have to live with them taking advantage of us overplaying with their ball movement. Makes me think that we don't want to see MSU.

davekay1971
11-29-2013, 07:38 PM
You can see the focus on defense and rebounding. Miles better than in the ECU and Vermont games. This is growth, big time.

Aside: Fox News babe Katie Pavlich is an Arizona Wildcats fan. So she does have a flaw... Okay, I've forgiven her.

NYBri
That McConnell kid is good.

Yup.

Philadukie

-jk

Yes, been watching defense closely and it's much worse tonight. And it's not because Arizona's offense is so good. We're just getting lost on switches and not communicating.

DukeDevil
11-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Jabari could have jammed that alley oop

-jk
11-29-2013, 07:40 PM

DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open. Let's go Duke!

(C'mon down!)

-jk

lotusland
11-29-2013, 07:41 PM

yeah and the game needs more fouls

Philadukie
11-29-2013, 07:42 PM
How many tough jump shots are we going to settle for?

We have two assists. We seem to resort to a one-on-one mentality in tough games.

Gthoma2a
11-29-2013, 07:43 PM

(C'mon down!)

-jk

It is just showing me a thing with smilies.

dukelifer
11-29-2013, 07:44 PM
About as good as Duke can play. Just need to feed Jabari.

FerryFor50
11-29-2013, 07:44 PM
How many tough jump shots are we going to settle for?

We have two assists. We seem to resort to a one-on-one mentality in tough games.

Lots of driving. Not enough dishing.

davekay1971
11-29-2013, 07:45 PM

Anyone remember when the Big East went to 6 fouls to keep the stars on the floor? Games slowed down to sumo wrestling matches. This idea that people come to see the stars, rather than good basketball, is a very NBA idea.

Gthoma2a
11-29-2013, 07:45 PM

I can't believe he went there. Bilas wants every defensive play to be a foul and Vitale wants 6 fouls. Hopefully their sway is limited in the future.

Dukeface88
11-29-2013, 07:57 PM
I can't believe he went there. Bilas wants every defensive play to be a foul and Vitale wants 6 fouls. Hopefully their sway is limited in the future.

His other justification (that the NBA has 6 fouls) was even better, since he apparently forgot that NBA games are 1/5 longer (so the fouls per minute are the same).

LBF
11-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Take it to the hole and call out the switches and we have this

timmy c
11-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Lots of driving. Not enough dishing.

Sounds like thanksgiving at my in-laws!

Gthoma2a
11-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Over the back (or just over). I like the defense of Thornton, but he needs to pump the breaks on the offense.

jwillfan
11-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Lettin' em play. Big change from earlier this season

Karl Beem
11-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Horrendous

dairedevil
11-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Looks like both teams have a bad case of butterfingers---more turnovers than assists.

dukelifer
11-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Amile needs to get better at the line

jwillfan
11-29-2013, 08:20 PM
I like how active we are on D

dukelifer
11-29-2013, 08:28 PM
How are those not over the back?

chaosmage
11-29-2013, 08:28 PM
I know it was all ball, but didn't going over the back like that (T over Hairston) used to be a foul, even if it wasn't called that?

dukelifer
11-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Their athletes are taking over

LBF
11-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Cook is really struggling defensively in the second half last two games

subzero02
11-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Our chemistry on offense is lacking... We need to be more aggressive on the boards... Too much sitting and watching

dukebballcamper90-91
11-29-2013, 08:35 PM
We have stood and watched some easy baskets. We need to challenge shots more.

subzero02
11-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Jefferson's foul shooting is killing me

dukelifer
11-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Not looking good

CR9
11-29-2013, 08:38 PM
That's game. 3 points in what, 7 minutes?

downeastdad
11-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Down 9. We're toast.

bbosbbos
I think Hood has to come back for another year.

Durham Thunder
1 feet, 2 feet, or no feet- a useless Marshall Plumlee means mediocre interior play.

To think, there was a time when Brian Zoubek was once despised!

dukebballcamper90-91
getting out hustled

Philadukie
You could feel Arizona was going to blow this open at about the 10 minute mark. The momentum was just slowly building for them.

Their length really bothered us tonight.

Lots to work on for this young team.

jwillfan
11-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Zone!

duke96
You could feel Arizona was going to blow this open at about the 10 minute mark. The momentum was just slowly building for them.

Lots to work on for this young team.

Plenty of time ....

davekay1971
[QUOTE=Philadukie;681977]You could feel Arizona was going to blow this open at about the 10 minute mark. The momentum was just slowly building for them.

Lots to work on for this young team.[QUOTE]

Didn't realize the game was already over.

Gthoma2a
I love Jabari, but it isn't a night that we need him to play 35 feet from the basket with three defenders right on him. He just seems off tonight. That, and Sulaimon needs to learn when to pull up. He gets about 5 feet from the basket, in the air at a 45 degree angle (leaned back) with several white jerseys right in front of him. We just need to score in more ways.

duke96
11-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Guess we suck at zone too..

CR9
11-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Obviously not comfortable with the zone. Terrible time to bring it out.

downeastdad
11-29-2013, 08:44 PM
That's 4 letter word. We can't play it, we can't play against it!

gwlaw99
11-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Game is being called like the big east two years ago.

Dukehky
11-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Jabari is getting raped every time he touches the ball. They are literally fouling the crap out of him every single time down the court. We can't make a shot, our defense is porous and Josh Hairston has been the third best player on the court for us tonight. Terrible performance in the second half so far. I know there are 3 minutes left, but it would take a miracle for Duke to win this game.

subzero02
11-29-2013, 08:47 PM
This is so frustrating... We are better than this

Mabdul Doobakus
This team really doesn't play very well together on offense...it's mostly guys trying to make plays as individuals rather than working together as a team and moving the ball around to get a shot. The difference between our ball movement and that of a few of our opponents has been striking. You also see bad decisions being made on defense time and time again. Guys rotating off their man at the wrong time, etc.

It's kind of a young team, but not so young as to excuse some of the poor play.

Can'tRebound Or Play D

Gthoma2a
I really hope we start getting more people involved in the game. It may not help in this game, but if we have more guys involved, it can diversify our offense so that we don't start acting kind of like 2011 with Austin. I would much rather play with our offense spread between several guys. I don't think we've won a championship yet with one centerpiece doing all of the work.

On D, we have got to communicate better. IT isn't penetration that is killing us, it is losing our man and letting them reappear on a cut right to the basket.

dukelifer
11-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Arizona is better at this point. Duke will get there but it will be a process

11-29-2013, 08:49 PM
So Far They Can't Beat Good Teams Either

11-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Really Pissed now

TKG
11-29-2013, 08:51 PM
I have to keep reminding myself that we are young and it's November. But I cannot think of a single aspect of the game that doesn't require significant improvement. We do not seem to be above average in any area.

Gthoma2a
My God, Quinn!

SilkyJ
I dont blame the team, I blame K. He wants to play 6'7 josh hairston, who can't defend or rebound against this frontline and isn't a scoring a threat. Our two biggest problems right now are defending/rebounding against this frontline and scoring. Why not play Marshall? Certainly couldn't get any worse. Why not put in Dre to see if we can get a scoring punch--we had 9 points for the half at the 8 minute mark...

But that's K's MO. He is stubborn and isn't known for in game adjustments. I can live with it given he seems to know what he's doing :)

CR9
11-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Lotta ball watching on D.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-29-2013, 08:53 PM
That back door seems to always be open.

Gthoma2a
11-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Running baseline without the ball. Now, we don't block out and get the rebound after being bailed out by bad rebounding. It is hard to win like that.

dukelifer
Huge miss of that rebound

CR9
I dont blame the team, I blame K. He wants to play 6'7 josh hairston, who can't defend or rebound against this frontline and isn't a scoring a threat. Our two biggest problems right now are defending/rebounding against this frontline and scoring. Why not play Marshall? Certainly couldn't get any worse. Why not put in Dre to see if we can get a scoring punch--we had 9 points for the half at the 8 minute mark...

But that's K's MO. He is stubborn and isn't known for in game adjustments. I can live with it given he seems to know what he's doing :)

Agree with this. K is doing less with more than he ever has. It's like because of the talent he feels he doesn't have to coach as much or as hard.

JetpackJesus
11-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Umm...these refs need to never ref a basketball game again.

dukelifer
11-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Need to score here

wsb3
11-29-2013, 08:57 PM
I really hope we start getting more people involved in the game. It may not help in this game, but if we have more guys involved, it can diversify our offense so that we don't start acting kind of like 2011 with Austin. I would much rather play with our offense spread between several guys. I don't think we've won a championship yet with one centerpiece doing all of the work.

On D, we have got to communicate better. IT isn't penetration that is killing us, it is losing our man and letting them reappear on a cut right to the basket.

I just said the same thing to my wife. I do not want a repeat of the year watching Austin go one on four. I love Jabari but the one on three stuff needs to go. I knew we would struggle inside but I thought we had the athletes to play such lock down D that we would be okay with our inside deficiency. So far I was dead wrong.

jwillfan
11-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Little more negativity than warranted people

dukelifer
11-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Agree with this. K is doing less with more than he ever has. It's like because of the talent he feels he doesn't have to coach as much or as hard.
Clearly you don't watch much Duke basketball

dukelifer
11-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Did not get that shot by Rasheed

Gthoma2a
I just don't understand why all of our players think that they need to go 1 on 5. We've been doing it all game. Again.

gwlaw99
How many times are we going to drive at Gordon and get blocked?

dukebballcamper90-91
11-29-2013, 09:00 PM
we got hosed

CR9
Clearly you don't watch much Duke basketball

Is that right? Explain how. I know he's yelling and he's coaching and everything; that's never in doubt. What I said was is it SEEMS like there's not a lot of coaching up going on. Instructions yes, teaching no. The inability to play zone, I feel, shows that.

AAA1980
Thank god for Jabari and Hood or wed be a nit team at best..None of our other players have developed that well so far..

Gthoma2a
11-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Little more negativity than warranted people

This is true, but you have to expect it. We have been unable to beat either of the teams that were ranked near us, and it could cost us our top 10 ranking. That leads to frustration.

_Gary
11-29-2013, 09:02 PM

I concur. The limited rotation really is frustrating right now. The team is young, and we all have to keep reminding ourselves of that. But I'd be lying if I said I'm not surprised at how poorly this particular edition of the Duke Blue Devils have played thus far in the season. More lows than highs at this point.

Hopefully Coach goes back to the drawing board and reconsiders the rotation he's played the last few days. Like Silky, I'm just not sold on Hairston getting the run he's been getting this week.

dukelifer
This is true, but you have to expect it. We have been unable to beat either of the teams that were ranked near us, and it could cost us our top 10 ranking. That leads to frustration.

Not a top 10 team right now but they will get better

LBF
We didn't deserve the win, but the officiating in the second half has been terrible

Mabdul Doobakus
11-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Sheed is definitely struggling to adjust to his new role. Shooting around 35% on the season now.

dukebballcamper90-91
How do you shoot a 3 and end up in under the bench and it is not a fould

Gthoma2a
Dre comes in and shows why I missed him.

Durham Thunder
11-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Fact:

First time in 14 years Duke loses twice before January. Also the first time in 14 years that Duke loses twice in only the first month.

Not a good sign for Durham.

bbosbbos
Communication is poor in this team. No ball movement in O at all. In D Amile and Josh lost their position very often, especially Amile.

arnie
I just don't understand why all of our players think that they need to go 1 on 5. We've been doing it all game. Again.

Not bothered by this game - we simply aren't as good as the elite teams. Not enough size among other issues. It is what it is .

jwillfan
11-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Fact:

First time in 14 years Duke loses twice before January. Also the first time in 14 years that Duke loses twice in only the first month.

Dude lighten up. We lost to 2 top 5 teams. In November

AluminumDuke
11-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Fact:

So the last time we lost twice before January was 1999? I seem to remember that team having a pretty good year (Final AP #1, lost to eventual NCAA runner-up Florida in sweet 16).