PDA

View Full Version : Carlyle Cup

matt1
11-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Does anyone still keep the statistics for the Duke-UNC Carlyle Cup? Wikipedia says that Continental Tire acquired the competition, but then forgot about it.

ForkFondler
11-27-2013, 08:31 AM
They changed the scorekeeping just about every year, so it was a pretty meaningless exercise. It would be really easy to to an unofficial Carlyle cup calculation, but I think a better idea is to do one with retroactive rulemaking where Carolina never ever wins in a sport that counts.

uh_no
11-27-2013, 09:56 AM
They changed the scorekeeping just about every year, so it was a pretty meaningless exercise. It would be really easy to to an unofficial Carlyle cup calculation, but I think a better idea is to do one with retroactive rulemaking where Carolina never ever wins in a sport that counts.

the "traditional" scoring is 1 point per sport, given in whole to the school with the most victories over the other school in that sport (i.e. 2-2 means .5 for each, but 2-1 gives the entire point to one school) except for m/w basketball and football, which are worth 2 points, again only divided if the teams tie for the year. sports in which there is no head-head meeting were determined by finish at ACCs...here's my shot at it

here's my go at fall sports
mens xc: UNC
womens xc: Duke
FH: Duke
m soccer: split
w soccer: UNC
vball: Duke

so after the fall sports (less football), we are up 3.5 to 2.5

ForkFondler
11-27-2013, 01:19 PM
the "traditional" scoring is 1 point per sport, given in whole to the school with the most victories over the other school in that sport (i.e. 2-2 means .5 for each, but 2-1 gives the entire point to one school) except for m/w basketball and football, which are worth 2 points, again only divided if the teams tie for the year. sports in which there is no head-head meeting were determined by finish at ACCs...here's my shot at it

Under my scoring system, Duke is up four-nothing.

alteran
11-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Are there any points for attending classes?

DukieInKansas
11-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Are there any points for attending classes?

And Duke is the runaway winner. :D

ForkFondler
12-01-2013, 08:02 PM
With the Volleyball and Football wins, Duke added to their insurmountable lead:

Duke 6, Cheaters* 0

* - Currently under suspension