PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 11-26-13

jimsumner
11-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Duke was able to practice outside this A.M. before the bad weather manifested itself.

Connette was banged up last week and didn’t practice much. Cut said Connette was much better today and told him he was the healthiest he had been all year.

That said, Cut was very complementary of Boone. Two-QB rotation Saturday? Why not keep them guessing?

Switzer is a big concern. He’s returned four punts for TDs this month and Duke has allowed two punt returns for scores. Cut says everybody-not just the gunners—has to account for Switzer and once he’s cornered, tackle him. He has a knack for avoiding tackles and breaking loose.

Eric Ebron? A great player. You don’t contain great players. You try to minimize the damage.

The key to stopping a high-tempo offense? Quick and precise communication, both from the sideline to the field and among the players on the field. Cut notes that Duke runs a high-tempo offense, which means Duke’s defense has practiced against it. Of course, it works the other way.

Slow starts? Duke has drills designed to get out of chute in a hurry. Cut says the most important part of slow starts is responding well. “No panic button.” But he also acknowledges that “we can’t continue to do that.”

Duke is undefeated on the road this season (4-0). Cut says he loves playing on the road and says that the best competitors love the challenge of winning on the road. Cites Duke's poise and maturity.

I asked Dave Harding about the slow starts. “We can’t keep doing that it we’re going to win a championship. We have to get out early. . . . We definitely are not concerned but conscious of the fact that we can’t continue to do that.”

Harding says the veterans’ message to the youngsters is that “none of the sub-plots matter if we lose. Winning is our only focus. We’re just telling them to stay focused on the task at hand, which is winning and to stick to our fundamentals, discipline and winning and coming to work every day.”

Kelby Brown on Ebron-“He’s a great athlete and a great blocker. So, when he’s out on the perimeter, a guy like me has to decide if he’s going to block or is he going to run a route? Because he’s really good at both. He’s a guy who can get out in space and block linebackers or run out in the open field."

Dev11
11-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Duke is undefeated on the road this season (4-0). Cut says he loves playing on the road and says that the best competitors love the challenge of winning on the road. Cites Duke's poise and maturity.

I love this. A few years ago, road wins for Cut and the gang were nearly impossible to come by. It is clearly a point of emphasis, and we finally have a group of talented veterans who can lead on the road.

Does Duke still take grass from all of the road stadiums we win in and replant it by the practice field?

Olympic Fan
11-26-2013, 02:53 PM
I love this. A few years ago, road wins for Cut and the gang were nearly impossible to come by.

That's a slight exaggeration.

Cut's first team won at Vanderbilt (3-4 at home; 1-3 on the road)

His second team won at Army, at N.C. State and Virginia ... it actually had a better record on the road (3-3) than at home (2-4)

His third team won at Navy -- one of only three wins that year

His fourth team won at Boston College and FIU ... like 2009, it had a better record on the road (2-3) than at home (1-6)

Last year's team only won at Wake and was much better at home (5-2) than on the road (1-4)

But this will be the third time in Cut's six years that Duke has had a better road record than home record.

In ACC play, his teams have won seven times on the road ... and seven times at home. There have been times when Cut's teams have struggled to win, but I don't think being on the road has been a special problem in recent years.

jimsumner
11-26-2013, 03:19 PM
That's a slight exaggeration.

Cut's first team won at Vanderbilt (3-4 at home; 1-3 on the road)

His second team won at Army, at N.C. State and Virginia ... it actually had a better record on the road (3-3) than at home (2-4)

His third team won at Navy -- one of only three wins that year

His fourth team won at Boston College and FIU ... like 2009, it had a better record on the road (2-3) than at home (1-6)

Last year's team only won at Wake and was much better at home (5-2) than on the road (1-4)

But this will be the third time in Cut's six years that Duke has had a better road record than home record.

In ACC play, his teams have won seven times on the road ... and seven times at home. There have been times when Cut's teams have struggled to win, but I don't think being on the road has been a special problem in recent years.

Pre-Cut, Duke won one road game in four years, three in eight years.

Of course, there weren't many home wins, either. :)

As far as I can tell, Duke's last undefeated-on-the-road season was 1952, when Duke went 8-2, 2-2 at home, 6-0 on the road, with wins at Tennessee and UNC, among others. The losses at home were to Georgia Tech and Navy. I'm counting Duke's 1954 loss to Navy at Norfolk as a road loss. If we call that a neutral field, than 1954 is the answer.

johnb
11-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Everyone may already know this, but, courtesy of espn:

Duke ranks No. 1 in the nation in points margin in the fourth quarter (plus 76) and second in turnovers forced (11).

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/63871/acc-upset-watch-week-14