View Full Version : Deep frying a Turkey? Listen to William Shatner first

rthomas
11-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Eat. Fry. Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2dwPTnsyA#t=103

devildeac
11-26-2013, 05:07 PM
And how NOT to deep fry a turkey:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+not+to+deep+fry+a+turkey&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=50C280CF5E598D209D0E50C280CF5E598D209D0E

:eek:

ncexnyc
11-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Hmmmm, a sign of things to come, that this thread was immediately over the , "Catching Fire" thread?

duketaylor
11-27-2013, 12:03 AM
I deep fried one last week to check a couple of things, including how clean/dirty my oil is. Thus, I'll be cleaning my fryer tomorrow and replacing the oil. I inject the bird with a concoction I cook on the stove containing: 1 Stick butter, one cup red wine, 1/2 cup drambuie and 1/2 cup light brown sugar. Bird is currently in garage in a brine I made yesterday of: 2 cups Kosher salt, couple of tbsp of pepper, 2 oranges, 2 lemons and several whole cloves. This is a 23-pound bird, about as big will fit into my fryer. I fry on my gravel driveway about 30 feet from anything. This will be about year 7 of frying turkey and have done other birds/breasts for friends. I'm the first to admit I'm still somewhat intimidated doing it, but once the bird is properly prepared, i.e., thawed, dried, injected, and fits on my lowering device, and I get it in the oil, it's pretty easy. I have a long thermometer to check oils temp before submersing and monitor the entire time. Have seen many recipes for ideas and one has you take the bird out when the deep probe into the breast reaches 151 as it continue to cook thereafter. A time or two it hasn't cooked as thoroughly as I like on the dark-meat leg and I simply bake whatever hasn't completely finished after I take it apart. I then warm it up in the oven on Turkey day. Has been a hit every year. Pairs nicely with some of DT's brews;)

With last week's bird I made some turkey and andouille gumbo and have had a few sandwiches. I send home with my guests plenty of leftovers as well.

Everybody enjoy Turkey Day and fry carefully!!

DukieInKansas
11-27-2013, 09:40 AM
I deep fried one last week to check a couple of things, including how clean/dirty my oil is. Thus, I'll be cleaning my fryer tomorrow and replacing the oil. I inject the bird with a concoction I cook on the stove containing: 1 Stick butter, one cup red wine, 1/2 cup drambuie and 1/2 cup light brown sugar. Bird is currently in garage in a brine I made yesterday of: 2 cups Kosher salt, couple of tbsp of pepper, 2 oranges, 2 lemons and several whole cloves. This is a 23-pound bird, about as big will fit into my fryer. I fry on my gravel driveway about 30 feet from anything. This will be about year 7 of frying turkey and have done other birds/breasts for friends. I'm the first to admit I'm still somewhat intimidated doing it, but once the bird is properly prepared, i.e., thawed, dried, injected, and fits on my lowering device, and I get it in the oil, it's pretty easy. I have a long thermometer to check oils temp before submersing and monitor the entire time. Have seen many recipes for ideas and one has you take the bird out when the deep probe into the breast reaches 151 as it continue to cook thereafter. A time or two it hasn't cooked as thoroughly as I like on the dark-meat leg and I simply bake whatever hasn't completely finished after I take it apart. I then warm it up in the oven on Turkey day. Has been a hit every year. Pairs nicely with some of DT's brews;)

With last week's bird I made some turkey and andouille gumbo and have had a few sandwiches. I send home with my guests plenty of leftovers as well.

Everybody enjoy Turkey Day and fry carefully!!

What time should I be there for dinner? It sounds delicious! Or you can just ship a portion of the leftovers to Kansas, if you would be so kind.

YmoBeThere
11-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Texas leads the nation in Turkey Fryer fires. That video was just awful by the way.

OldPhiKap
11-28-2013, 03:21 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=idKo7k-5EWA