PDA

View Full Version : UNCC beats Michigan

DBFAN
11-24-2013, 11:10 PM
So I am starting to see the trend now. NCAA wants closer games, and more upsets because that is what drives the ratings. I don't know much about Michigans defense, but I do know that Louisville plays good D and was upset today, and Duke nearly goes Down. Of course what I should say is that Louisville used to be allowed to play D. It seems the best way to level the playing field is to not allow the more talented teams to play aggressive D, while allowing the smaller less talented teams to play very physical. This seems to assure more upsets, and tighter games. That is just my 2 cents. Some may say that the fouls were even, but the problem is, every other year the fouls would have been lopsided in favor of the quicker team.

DieHard
11-24-2013, 11:27 PM
I thought the rules would benefit the faster, more athletic teams because a team could not wrestle their way to a win. Slog out a 52-54 point win. I thought it would benefit the top conference teams.

It appears that a good shooting team with a good dribble penetration point guard is never out of a game. This point guard does not have to be an incredible athlete.

Charlotte did not shoot extremely well, and Michigan has many early season flaws. Not sure the rules had anything to do with it.

DBFAN
11-24-2013, 11:43 PM
It just seems like all you have to do is get in the lane, and you are guaranteed to either score or Shoot free throws. With that, no team is ever out of a game. I seem to notice sev times tonight that Vermont was allowed to be much more aggressive when going for rebounds, hand checking, forearm shivers...etc. when Duke got close enough for a bump, then the whistle def blew. I just think Duke should get their money's worth on some of these calls. They might as well play aggressive as they normally do because the refs are gonna get involved no matter what. I watched a Duke team tonight on sev of the drives that they could have defended at the rim, just back off because what's the point in trying. I'm not one for blaming the refs but it is hard to see how this doesn't benefit the underdog.

At the beginning of the season I thought this would clearly benefit the more talented teams, but the more I watch it appears to be in place to just keep the games close

Bob Green
11-25-2013, 06:41 AM
At the beginning of the season I thought this would clearly benefit the more talented teams, but the more I watch it appears to be in place to just keep the games close

The players and coaches are still adjusting to the new rules. Eventually, the more talented teams will prevail. There is no grand conspiracy in place here to keep the games close.

Gthoma2a
11-25-2013, 07:47 AM
The players and coaches are still adjusting to the new rules. Eventually, the more talented teams will prevail. There is no grand conspiracy in place here to keep the games close.

I suppose, in theory, but I have a feeling we're going to see "pressure D" become a thing of the past in the meantime. Games may slip by us this year just because we aren't allowed to guard penetration.

PSurprise
11-25-2013, 08:00 AM
I suppose, in theory, but I have a feeling we're going to see "pressure D" become a thing of the past in the meantime. Games may slip by us this year just because we aren't allowed to guard penetration.

So in other words they want the NBA?

CDu
11-25-2013, 08:28 AM
So in other words they want the NBA?

They play pretty darn good defense in the NBA.

MCFinARL
11-25-2013, 08:53 AM

When they feel like it.

Matches
11-25-2013, 08:59 AM

This. I suspect the NCAA *does* "want the NBA", where the quality of play has been way higher than college for years now. The rules changes seem designed to mimic the NBA's largely-successful modifications that pulled the league out of its late 90's/ early 00's unwatchable-ness.

cf-62
11-25-2013, 11:41 AM

Back in the day, pressure D was about passing lanes and turnovers, not low shooting percentage.

In 1989, that all changed. Seton Hall, as a 3 seed, bulled (sic) their way into the championship game and almost won the whole thing. PJ's team punished the cutters, and pushed the dribblers relentlessly. 4 minutes into the second half, the opponents were exhausted, and Seton Hall would run away with the game.

It was quite formidable.

But with today's 30 - 40 FTs a game, it's the 2-3 zone that will become the most formidable weapon this year.

Both ECU and Vermont wanted to play man-to-man defense against us. Both went down double digits quickly. Both went to a 203 zone out of desperation, and both got back in the game.

THEN, inexplicably, both switched back to man-to-man (I guess, presumably, to "startle us" into some turnover). Instead, we work our offense and get open threes and open lanes.

Anybody that plays us man to man this year is a fool!!! And we better learn how to beat the 2-3 zone. AND we better learn how to play it on defense, too.

johnnyumfan
11-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Trey Burke has not been replaced and yes, UM is a flawed team. I expect Duke to beat Michigan easily at home.

Duvall
11-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Trey Burke has not been replaced and yes, UM is a flawed team. I expect Duke to beat Michigan easily at home.

Predicting Duke to beat any team easily is a dicey proposition at the moment.

CDu
11-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Predicting Duke to beat any team easily is a dicey proposition at the moment.

Agreed, although Michigan does look primed for a loss in that they are not a well-disciplined offensive team and they don't have great slashers.

The thing that concerns me though is that they LOVE to play zone, and we've not done as well against zones this year.

Des Esseintes
11-25-2013, 08:32 PM
When they feel like it.

If this bizarre claim ever had a grain of truth to it, that grain has been absent at least 20 years. It's fine not to watch the NBA. But if you're not going to watch, maybe steer clear of archaic sweeping generalizations?

Newton_14
11-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Agreed, although Michigan does look primed for a loss in that they are not a well-disciplined offensive team and they don't have great slashers.

The thing that concerns me though is that they LOVE to play zone, and we've not done as well against zones this year.

Well in fairness we lit up Vermont's zone last night for 91 points so the statement does not hold water for that game. We did not however, attack ECU's zone very well, so valid point there.

CDu
11-25-2013, 10:00 PM
If this bizarre claim ever had a grain of truth to it, that grain has been absent at least 20 years. It's fine not to watch the NBA. But if you're not going to watch, maybe steer clear of archaic sweeping generalizations?

Agreed. The amount (and quality) of defense played in the NBA is quite impressive. Of course, so is the offense.

Newton_14
11-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Agreed. The amount (and quality) of defense played in the NBA is quite impressive. Of course, so is the offense.

Totally agree with you both with one caveat. That is only true of the top teams. The bad teams in the league are barely watchable. Once you get to say the semi-finals in both the West and East playoffs, the level of defense and offense is incredibly high. Not so with the bad teams. Shot selection is horrible and lots of guys with poor skill sets. My two cents.

Indoor66
11-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Totally agree with you both with one caveat. That is only true of the top teams. The bad teams in the league are barely watchable. Once you get to say the semi-finals in both the West and East playoffs, the level of defense and offense is incredibly high. Not so with the bad teams. Shot selection is horrible and lots of guys with poor skill sets. My two cents.

Gee, that sounds exactly like college basketball! :cool: