PDA

View Full Version : 2007: The David Cutcliffe Hire-Facts or Fiction?

devildeac
11-23-2013, 09:13 PM
I read this article today in the Raleigh N&O and some of my memories, especially of discussions here on DBR over 6 years ago and since that time don't quite match with this piece. Especially this quote:

“Most of the people, who are still at Duke, wanted to hire (Dorrell),” Alleva said this week. “He’s a good guy, but he was working on the West coast and I didn’t think he was the right fit.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/22/3397252/joe-alleva-put-faith-in-cutcliffe.html

My recollection was that a search committee was formed and they had to reign in/veto Alleva's choice of Dorrell and hired Cut instead, which, of course, as AD, Alleva ultimately approved and gets the final credit.

I'd really appreciate hearing from Jim Sumner and Olympic Fan and others much closer to/familiar with/having better memories of those events leading up to Cut's hire and clarifying this writing in the N&O.

Thanks.

arnie
11-23-2013, 09:18 PM
I read this article today in the Raleigh N&O and some of my memories, especially of discussions here on DBR over 6 years ago and since that time don't quite match with this piece. Especially this quote:

“Most of the people, who are still at Duke, wanted to hire (Dorrell),” Alleva said this week. “He’s a good guy, but he was working on the West coast and I didn’t think he was the right fit.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/22/3397252/joe-alleva-put-faith-in-cutcliffe.html

My recollection was that a search committee was formed and they had to reign in/veto Alleva's choice of Dorrell and hired Cut instead, which, of course, as AD, Alleva ultimately approved and gets the final credit.

I'd really appreciate hearing from Jim Sumner and Olympic Fan and others much closer to/familiar with/having better memories of those events leading up to Cut's hire and clarifying this writing in the N&O.

Thanks.

I read the article this morning and starting laughing. It was very self-serving by Alleva and the author, gigilo, didn't seem to have a clue.

Jarhead
11-23-2013, 10:10 PM

Thanks.

That's exactly how I remember it. My recollection is that I hoped for Aleva's departure.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-23-2013, 10:11 PM

Thanks.
Your recall matches mine and fits conversations I had with Dr. C. Newsome.

devildeac
11-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. According to Alleva's quotes and the memories to the contrary of those who have posted here so far, it's starting to sound like "It's Not About The Truth.":rolleyes::mad:

miramar
11-24-2013, 10:16 AM
One way or another we are well on our way to having the David Cutcliffe field at Wallace Wade Stadium.

And we no longer have Joe Alleva, so that's two for one in my book.

wilson
11-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Here (http://www.accsports.com/articles/duke-search-had-little-known-roof-spurrier-dorrell-neuheisel-angles) is a great article outlining the Cutcliffe hire process and the specifics of each serious candidate (plus a few nuggets on a handful of not-so-serious candidates).

Among the piece's money quotes:
"According to sources, Alleva liked Dorrell a lot and even pushed for him to be hired at one point...Duke's power brokers rejected Alleva's recommendation of Dorrell, however, and chose to continue the process. According to sources, the Dorrell-to-Duke scenario was close enough to happening that calls had been made in preparation for a next-day press conference, just in case."
The article also lambastes Duke's 2004 head coach search as "lazy at best, and woefully incompetent at worst."

Overall, devildeac, it seems to cleave closer to your recollections of the events in question than to Alleva's revisionist self-congratulation in the above-linked piece.

jimsumner
11-24-2013, 12:09 PM
My understanding has always been that Alleva pushed Dorrell but did not get his way.

budwom
11-24-2013, 12:25 PM
My understanding has always been that Alleva pushed Dorrell but did not get his way.

And tuning in to one of ESPN's scoreboard shows yesterday, whose grinning, sunglassed visage was noted other than Mr. Sumner's, looking
like a robin at a worm ranch, lurking outside what must have been the Duke locker room.

jimsumner
11-24-2013, 12:36 PM
And tuning in to one of ESPN's scoreboard shows yesterday, whose grinning, sunglassed visage was noted other than Mr. Sumner's, looking
like a robin at a worm ranch, lurking outside what must have been the Duke locker room.

My wife always tells me to comb my hair. You never know when you'll be on ESPN.

Olympic Fan
11-24-2013, 01:04 PM
I read the article this morning and starting laughing. It was very self-serving by Alleva and the author, gigilo, didn't seem to have a clue.

This was exactly my reaction ... a very self-serving and dishonest response from Mr. Alleva, aiding and abetted by a clueless reporter.

Revisionist history at its best.

devildeac
11-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Many thanks again to the additional folks who responded and re-inforced my occasionally (frequently?) faulty recollection of the events around Cut's hire. I have left a message on Joe Giglio's voice mail tactfully suggesting he might want to interview a few more honest folks in Duke's athletic department and administration who were connected with the hire instead of just trusting Boatin' Joe's self-gratulatory and somewhat inaccurate portrayal of the process. We shall see.

CameronBornAndBred
11-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Many thanks again to the additional folks who responded and re-inforced my occasionally (frequently?) faulty recollection of the events around Cut's hire. I have left a message on Joe Giglio's voice mail tactfully suggesting he might want to interview a few more honest folks in Duke's athletic department and administration who were connected with the hire instead of just trusting Boatin' Joe's self-gratulatory and somewhat inaccurate portrayal of the process. We shall see.

Keep us up to date! Regardless of who gets the real credit in the end though, I'm sure I'm joined by everyone in still celebrating his hire. I've spent many games hollering wondering what the hell he was doing in more than a few past games, and I know I shouted "Fire Roper" enough to lose my voice after at least one game. I've always been a fan of Coach Cut's presence on campus and his will to make us the team we are, but I do admit having doubts after walking away after a few head scratching losses. I love that it takes more than one AD (and a bunch of opinionated fans) to make decisions and stay a steady course. LGD!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-25-2013, 12:08 AM

That is essentially what Dr. C. G. Newsome told me. He and Leo Hart were former players who provided leadership to the selection committee.

devildeac
11-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this and certainly didn't want to start a new thread about a football coach's dress code:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--david-cutcliffe-has-buttoned-up-duke-on-verge-of-acc-title-game-213353667.html

OldPhiKap
11-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this and certainly didn't want to start a new thread about a football coach's dress code:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--david-cutcliffe-has-buttoned-up-duke-on-verge-of-acc-title-game-213353667.html

Someone please Sporkz dd for this link, I have to spread love first.

Great read, thanks.

Great coach. Great times.

Go Duke!