PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs. UNC-CH Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

JBDuke
11-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Put your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.

Go to Hell, Carolina! Go to Hell!!!

Not sure this is the biggest "regular season" football game for Duke ever, but it's gotta be pretty darned close. Going against our rival, final game of the season. Chance to set the record for Duke wins in a football season. Chance to win the Coastal Division and play for the ACC Championship. Chance to send the Heels back to Hell!

uh_no
11-23-2013, 03:12 PM

getting warm....

9f9f9f

DukieInKansas
11-23-2013, 03:19 PM
The gates must be opening early there and pulling all the heat in. There certainly isn't any heat here in Kansas.

I love that we have a pre-game thread starting so early for a football game.

LGD!

9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F

bbosbbos
11-23-2013, 03:22 PM
9f9f9f9f9f ;)

brevity
11-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Not sure this is the biggest "regular season" football game for Duke ever, but it's gotta be pretty darned close. Going against our rival, final game of the season. Chance to set the record for Duke wins in a football season. Chance to win the Coastal Division and play for the ACC Championship. Chance to send the Heels back to Hell!

There's actually more at stake than a record 10th win, outright division crown, ACC title game berth, and the destination of many souls. The deal is now done: if UNC loses, they dismantle their football program, and Kenan gets torn down to set up a Duke football practice facility. Because, you know, football school.

Faison1
11-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Win or lose, this has been an amazing season. But the UNC game will be telling. Their offensive line looks big.

They showed some stats at the end of the UNC/ODU game: UNC has won 21 of the last 23 meetings.

If Duke can pull this off, you'd have to figure we've got the inside track to the Peach Bowl.

On the road at UNC with the way they are playing leads me to believe this is the toughest game of the year.

loran16
11-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Okay in all seriousness, we're likely at least a 2 point underdog this game. (Sagarin has us at like +1.5)

And given how poorly we stopped Price runs, we're gonna need to do some work on containing Marquis Williams.

We're great at D in the 4th. Need to get better at D in the other quarters to handle a better offensive team. And UNC is as good at D as Wake.

Indoor66
11-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Duke by 10. Bank it.

jv001
11-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Duke by 10. Bank it.

If unc beats Duke next Saturday, I'll have to look at all that ugly blue stuff in church on Sunday. I'm hoping the good guys(Duke) beat the bad guys(unc) by at least 10 points. Tomorrow will be wonderful not having to look at all the Gold & Black. GoDuke!

NYBri
11-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Win or lose, this has been an amazing season. But the UNC game will be telling. Their offensive line looks big.

Not as big as Miami's. We hung 350+ rushing yards on them.

GTHC!

Faison1
11-23-2013, 04:43 PM

GTHC!

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I was talking about their offensive line.

But yes, GTHC....and 9F9F!!!

Bob Green
11-23-2013, 04:44 PM

GTHC!

I'm struggling to understand the correlation between the size of Miami's offensive line and Duke's 350 yards rushing.

dukelifer
11-23-2013, 04:44 PM

UNC is playing really well and will be hard to contain. This will be the toughest game of the year - no question.

NYBri
11-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I was talking about their offensive line.

But yes, GTHC....and 9F9F!!!

My Misunderstanding. :)

NYBri
11-23-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm struggling to understand the correlation between the size of Miami's offensive line and Duke's 350 yards rushing.

That's because I'm an idiot. :)

Bob Green
11-23-2013, 04:56 PM

I can identify with that analysis. :cool:

NYBri
11-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I can identify with that analysis. :cool:

It was the most insightful analysis I've had in years. ;)

OldPhiKap
11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
UNC is playing really well and will be hard to contain. This will be the toughest game of the year - no question.

Agreed. Their schedule was crazy-hard front-loaded. They are certainly comparable to VT and Miami, in a game that will have the intensity ratcheted up to eleven.

As Cut said after the Miami game, the thing about November football is that every game is more important than the last. This is what you work all year for -- a chance to play a game to be division champs, with perhaps two more "bowl" games/championships. This is play-off football.

Duvall
11-23-2013, 05:09 PM

Well, toughest game of te year *so far*.

dukelifer
11-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Agreed. Their schedule was crazy-hard front-loaded. They are certainly comparable to VT and Miami, in a game that will have the intensity ratcheted up to eleven.

As Cut said after the Miami game, the thing about November football is that every game is more important than the last. This is what you work all year for -- a chance to play a game to be division champs, with perhaps two more "bowl" games/championships. This is play-off football.

This is really it. A number of regular seasons in basketball have come down to the last game against UNC. It should be a war.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-23-2013, 06:13 PM
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif
LET'S GO DUKE! GO TO HELL carolina, GO TO HELL! 9F!
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

NYBri
11-23-2013, 06:18 PM

The subtle touch of Ozzie.

CameronBlue
11-23-2013, 06:37 PM

Can't be, otherwise you'd be posting here: www.insidecarolina.com.

-jk
11-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Argh! My eyes are bleeding!

-jk

NYBri
11-23-2013, 07:07 PM

ARRRGGGGGGHHhHhHh!

NEVER!

PDDuke85
11-23-2013, 09:12 PM
For football? You dang better believe it! We're a football school now!

It's gonna get cold in the Triangle this week, but come Saturday, the gates of Hell will open up and swallow the 'holes in itty bitty pieces!
In order to beat Duke, the Holes will need to STUDY film of Duke. Study and Holes are mutually exclusive. Go Duke

PDDuke85
11-23-2013, 09:19 PM
With so much at stake next Saturday, will UNC cancel all classes for their football players this coming week?

arnie
11-23-2013, 09:23 PM
In order to beat Duke, the Holes will need to STUDY film of Duke. Study and Holes are mutually exclusive. Go Duke
Caught the interview with Williams the QB . He said they're upset not scoring 83 PT since Bball scored 82 today. Basically making fun of their overmatched opponent. I doubt they take us seriously.

Reilly
11-23-2013, 09:23 PM
... in this week of Thanksgiving, I'm thankful that we're nothing like them.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-23-2013, 09:35 PM
With so much at stake next Saturday, will UNC cancel all classes for their football players this coming week?

All except Swahili 101.

throatybeard
11-23-2013, 09:37 PM
I was talkin to my folks on the phone. Next week's game came up. I quoted Bobby Bowden.

"This was the big game. But we won. Now it isn't the big game anymore. The next game is the big game."

loran16
11-24-2013, 01:20 AM
ACC Announces the game will again be on ESPN2 at Noon.

Reilly
11-24-2013, 08:08 AM
We should be 3.5 point underdogs, per the Sagarin predictor numbers, and accounting for Carolina's home field advantage.

davekay1971
11-24-2013, 08:23 AM

And if they did, would anyone notice?

Reilly
11-24-2013, 08:37 AM
... will UNC cancel all classes for their football players this coming week?

If a parking ticket is issued in the woods and nobody's around to pay it and Fats denies driving the car at that time, does it make a sound?

loran16
11-24-2013, 10:21 AM
We should be 3.5 point underdogs, per the Sagarin predictor numbers, and accounting for Carolina's home field advantage.

Actually closer to 4.5 - sagarin's home field edge is closer to 3.7 points than 3.

That said, Vegas puts us at 5.5 point underdogs. Jesus.

Reilly
11-24-2013, 10:51 AM
...Vegas puts us at 5.5 point underdogs ...

Getting points in a closely-matched rivalry game ... esp. when the team getting the points is healthy, playing well, and feeling good ... seems like a deal to hop on ...

OldPhiKap
11-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Actually closer to 4.5 - sagarin's home field edge is closer to 3.7 points than 3.

I think that is a fair line.

And we have done very well against the line so far . . . .

BD80
11-24-2013, 11:27 AM

It is amusing that the tar squeal football players spend much more time "studying" film than in academic classrooms. Unless the football coaches apply the same exacting attendance standards as the professors; imagine the film rolling in a room of empty seats. I'm talking second weekend of Gigli empty.

CameronBornAndBred
11-24-2013, 11:40 AM
GTHC!!

jimsumner
11-24-2013, 12:03 PM
ACC Announces Final Game Times & TV for Nov. 30

GREENSBORO, NC – The Atlantic Coast Conference Sunday announced the game times and networks for the Virginia Tech at Virginia and Duke at North Carolina games and the network for Georgia-Georgia Tech. The games were held by ESPN on a six-day option.

Saturday, Nov. 30

Duke at North Carolina, ESPN2, Noon

Virginia Tech at Virginia, ESPNU, 3:30 p.m.

Georgia at Georgia Tech, ABC (full national), 3:30 pm

Mabdul Doobakus
11-24-2013, 12:05 PM
The line doesn't surprise me. Hopefully, a big contingent of Duke supporters can make it to the game. I probably would have gone, but, alas, I will be in South Florida. Woe is me.

wilson
11-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Why are we saddled with another noon kickoff? How is there another ACC game this week bigger than Duke-unc? This is distinctly inconvenient for me, given a family Thanksgiving gathering with a planned meal time of 1:30-2:00. Oh well.

jimsumner
11-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Why are we saddled with another noon kickoff? How is there another ACC game this week bigger than Duke-unc? This is distinctly inconvenient for me, given a family Thanksgiving gathering with a planned meal time of 1:30-2:00. Oh well.

3:30 probably is a more attractive time than Noon. But ESPN2 is a more attractive platform than ESPNU.

Glass half-full or half-empty? Beats me.

OldPhiKap
11-24-2013, 01:11 PM

3:30 probably is a more attractive time than Noon. But ESPN2 is a more attractive platform than ESPNU.

Glass half-full or half-empty? Beats me.

I would rather have noon to ourselves than compete with UGa-GT, personally. So noon works.

hudlow
11-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Gotta add in a big ol' dose of Kenan home cooking....

CameronBornAndBred
11-24-2013, 01:56 PM
That stadium is going to be packed and loud. Very few tickets available on stubhub, and none under $70. Otherwise, the game is sold out. That's pretty awesome...LGD!!!!

http://www.stubhub.com/unc-football-tickets/north-carolina-vs-duke-11-30-2013-4248063/

SoCalDukeFan
11-24-2013, 02:47 PM
I would rather have noon to ourselves than compete with UGa-GT, personally. So noon works.

Will watch at 9 am in LA, then go to UCLA-USC game which starts at 5 our time.

SoCal

devildeac
11-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Gotta add in a big ol' dose of Kenan home cooking....

Yea, I got a baaaad feeling about this one...

I felt pretty good about the last 3 games, even Miami, but playing in chappaheeya with their own Coastal Division championship hopes on the line just doesn't give me good vibes. But, I'll be delighted to be proved wrong about 300 or 315 PM this Saturday afternoon.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-24-2013, 05:17 PM

Well, not to mention the Iron Bowl. No one besides hard core UVA/Va Tech fans are watching ESPNU at 3:30 on Saturday.

CameronBornAndBred
11-24-2013, 05:46 PM
but playing in chappaheeya with their own Coastal Division championship hopes on the line.

Not a chance in Chapel Hell. Yes...it is mathematically possible...but not a chance. Even if it snows.

bleudiable
11-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Saturday, Nov. 30

Duke at North Carolina, ESPN2, Noon

Virginia Tech at Virginia, ESPNU, 3:30 p.m.

Georgia at Georgia Tech, ABC (full national), 3:30 pm

This is great for us. UNC has been complaining all year about noon starting times making it difficult for people to have their social times before games, and a number haven't even made the games. I know that die-hard Carolina football fans will make the effort to be in stadium at kickoff, but look for lots of aluminum to be showing early. (Or is this just wishful thinking?)

bleudiable
11-25-2013, 09:19 AM
...that I don't even care about our early-season hoops woes? I trust that K will get this bunch playing team defense before February, and we will take our lumps against good teams in the next couple of weeks. But the football team is setting newer, higher expectations every week, and I really care about these guys. The fact that they are ranked in the BCS and can win out to play in the ACC championship game was not believable a year, three months, even one month ago. I'm so proud of this team!

Now BEAT CAROLINA! I think that if it weren't for last year's win against the Heels, this year's Duke team might feel intimidated going into this game. But this is where it all ended last year--won the Carolina game and hit the wall--and the team has grown so much since then. We are undefeated on the road including a win at Virginia Tech. This team knows how to win--Go Devils!

arnie
11-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Not a chance in Chapel Hell. Yes...it is mathematically possible...but not a chance. Even if it snows.

I thought all tiebreakers on all scenarios worked against the heels for the coastal championship. Is this not the case? Of course they can make shirts celebrating a tie.

loran16
11-25-2013, 09:34 AM
I thought all tiebreakers on all scenarios worked against the heels for the coastal championship. Is this not the case? Of course they can make shirts celebrating a tie.

Yes and No - Yes, all tiebreakers work against the Heels. But that's for the conference CHAMPIONSHIP Game. Technically, if Duke were to lose, Duke, UNC, GT, and probably VT and Miami would all be considered co-champions of the coastal.

flyingdutchdevil
11-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Yes and No - Yes, all tiebreakers work against the Heels. But that's for the conference CHAMPIONSHIP Game. Technically, if Duke were to lose, Duke, UNC, GT, and probably VT and Miami would all be considered co-champions of the coastal.

In that case, who plays FSU?

loran16
11-25-2013, 09:39 AM
This is great for us. UNC has been complaining all year about noon starting times making it difficult for people to have their social times before games, and a number haven't even made the games. I know that die-hard Carolina football fans will make the effort to be in stadium at kickoff, but look for lots of aluminum to be showing early. (Or is this just wishful thinking?)

In that case, who plays FSU?

Scenarios are as follows:
Duke wins -> To the title game.
Duke loses ->
----If VT Wins -> VT to the title game.
----If VT Loses ->
--------Miami Wins --> Miami to the title game.
--------Miami Loses --> GT to the title game.

DukieInKansas
11-25-2013, 09:41 AM

And thus worthy of t-shirts and rings for the unc faithful. :D

uh_no
11-25-2013, 10:00 AM
And thus worthy of t-shirts and rings for the unc faithful. :D

we'd 100% get rings as well in a tie

davekay1971
11-25-2013, 10:01 AM
9f! 9f! 9f! 9f! 9f! 9f! 9f! 9f! 9f! 9f! 9f! 9f!

flyingdutchdevil
11-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Scenarios are as follows:
Duke wins -> To the title game.
Duke loses ->
----If VT Wins -> VT to the title game.
----If VT Loses ->
--------Miami Wins --> Miami to the title game.
--------Miami Loses --> GT to the title game.

Thanks. So, in other words, beat ewe in see?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-25-2013, 11:25 AM
In keeping with the "new tradition" started last year for the carolina game in Wallace Wade, I will neither be able to attend the game nor watch it on TV, as I'll be driving home from NY where I had attended our games in the Preseason NIT. Based on last year's results, carolina will indeed be sent back to HELL for another year and we'll keep the Victory Bell! I am hoping to be able to listen to the game on XM Radio. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

CameronBornAndBred
11-25-2013, 11:49 AM
In keeping with the "new tradition" started last year for the carolina game in Wallace Wade, I will neither be able to attend the game nor watch it on TV, as I'll be driving home from NY where I had attended our games in the Preseason NIT. Based on last year's results, carolina will indeed be sent back to HELL for another year and we'll keep the Victory Bell! I am hoping to be able to listen to the game on XM Radio. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Make sure you set your DVR so you can enjoy your return home!

nyesq83
11-25-2013, 11:50 AM
C'mon Duke, hang onto that bell. Send those Tar Heels down to Hell!

peloton
11-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Ozzie, sorry to hear that you can't watch the game but if it's any consolation...watching it on television...listening to it on the car radio...the end result's the same - you'll be yelling at either one! I sure hope that the Duke fans who can make the trip to Kenan are loud, because we've got every reason to be proud! GTHC GTH, GTHC GTH!

bbosbbos
11-25-2013, 10:23 PM
GHCGH :cool:

matt1
11-25-2013, 10:45 PM

Unfortunately, I will be on the train back from the game in NY during the football game. I will probably try to follow the DBR chat on my phone (My phone isn't fast enough for the ESPN app).

mike88
11-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Duke and UNC come into the game pretty evenly matched overall. In terms of total offense, UNC is ranked 52nd and Duke 63rd, while for total defense Duke is 53rd and UNC 66th.

Duke's biggest advantage is the running game- we rank 57th in rushing offense, while UNC is only 82nd in rushing defense, so we need to establish the running game and possess the ball.

On the defensive side, we need to limit big plays, as we have done well most of the year. UNC is very pass-heavy: their passing offense is elite (24th in the nation) but their running game less so (90th). However, those are season statistics and don't fully account for Marquise Williams, who is a much better runner than Renner. Duke will have a good chance if we can limit his rushing yards, as their running game is limited otherwise.

Finally, we need to limit turnovers and prevent Ryan Switzer from running back any more punt returns for touchdowns and we should have a good chance Saturday.

BlueDevilinNYC
11-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Finally, we need to limit turnovers and prevent Ryan Switzer from running back any more punt returns for touchdowns and we should have a good chance Saturday.

This statement above, and stopping Eric Ebron are going to be our two biggest tasks. If we win the turnover margin, play solid special teams and hold Ebron to <100 yards, I think we get out of Chapel Hill with the victory.

One thing is for absolute certain, Cutcliffe will have our guys prepared. GTHC

loran16
11-26-2013, 09:28 AM
This statement above, and stopping Eric Ebron are going to be our two biggest tasks. If we win the turnover margin, play solid special teams and hold Ebron to <100 yards, I think we get out of Chapel Hill with the victory.

One thing is for absolute certain, Cutcliffe will have our guys prepared. GTHC

I'm fairly confident Duke will prevent Switzer from running any back. Duke's given up I think all of 2 punt return TDs all year - they just happen to be in the last few weeks and the coverage team has been very good. Will Monday hasn't been very good which is a more daunting concern.

And Switzer's big returns have all basically come the last two weeks - just like DeVon Edwards' big game, it's a sign he's a good player, not that he's the big threat to be worried about every game.

I'm more worried about controlling Williams - QB Runs have done a big # on us than Switzer by far. That's the big issue - that an Ebron.

OldPhiKap
11-26-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm more worried about controlling Williams - QB Runs have done a big # on us than Switzer by far. That's the big issue - that an Ebron.

Agree 100%. That was very maddening during the Wake game, I would expect a similar approach by Carolina.

Also agree re: Ebron, but knock on wood we have done reasonably well controlling the big explosion plays as Cut calls them. Time for Coach Knowles to bring the pressure and keep the containment. (Dude went to Cornell, I think he can figure out a plan)

BTW -- Ebron announced he is entering the draft after the bowl game, so this is his "senior" game.

BlueDevilinNYC
11-26-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm fairly confident Duke will prevent Switzer from running any back. Duke's given up I think all of 2 punt return TDs all year - they just happen to be in the last few weeks and the coverage team has been very good. Will Monday hasn't been very good which is a more daunting concern.

I definitely agree with the above. Both punts that were returned on us in the past couple of weeks were poor, line drive kicks by Monday, which gave the returner ample time to see the field and not enough time for our kick coverage to converge. Getting Will Monday back to booting the ball with solid hangtime will solve the punt return problem, imo.

mike88
11-26-2013, 09:50 AM
I was sitting directly in line with the punt that Miami ran back for a touchdown, and I remember saying, while the ball was in the air, "watch out" because it was so low and returnable. Will has been inconsistent this year - some of his kicks have been amazing (like the 66 yarder vs WF) but he also miI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s/shanks a good number. He seems to take a short (two step) approach and I think that increases his chances of error if he rushes (although it certainly makes his kicks harder to block, too). Lets hope we get the good kicks on Saturday, or better yet that our offense moves the ball so well that we don't have to punt.

BlueDevilinNYC
11-26-2013, 09:59 AM
I was sitting directly in line with the punt that Miami ran back for a touchdown, and I remember saying, while the ball was in the air, "watch out" because it was so low and returnable. Will has been inconsistent this year - some of his kicks have been amazing (like the 66 yarder vs WF) but he also miI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s/shanks a good number. He seems to take a short (two step) approach and I think that increases his chances of error if he rushes (although it certainly makes his kicks harder to block, too). Lets hope we get the good kicks on Saturday, or better yet that our offense moves the ball so well that we don't have to punt.

I think your post caused me to have a seizure. However, I understand what you're saying and agree completely. My reaction in the stands to that punt was the same

loran16
11-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Agree 100%. That was very maddening during the Wake game, I would expect a similar approach by Carolina.

Also agree re: Ebron, but knock on wood we have done reasonably well controlling the big explosion plays as Cut calls them. Time for Coach Knowles to bring the pressure and keep the containment. (Dude went to Cornell, I think he can figure out a plan)

BTW -- Ebron announced he is entering the draft after the bowl game, so this is his "senior" game.

I swear to god, Knowles needs to bring the pressure more. It seems to always work when we bring 1-2 extra guys, but otherwise, ESPECIALLY EARLY in games, our D line gets like no pressure on the QB. It's not enough to get pressure in the 4th Quarter when you've worn out the O lineman, put it on them in the first half as well. And blitzers from certain positions can limit the QB's ability to scramble, which is a major problem recently (I'm a big fan of rushing an extra guy up the middle considering how often these QB scrambles occur up a hole right up the middle.

alteran
11-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Good point.

Beat The Cheat! Beat The Cheat!

GTHCGTH!

alteran
11-26-2013, 10:33 AM

No need.

There is no difference between canceling classes for UNC football players and keeping them, in terms of both workload and attendance.

Then again, it may free up time from doing other people's homework for the tutors.

nyesq83
11-26-2013, 12:17 PM
It will help the defense to contain a mobile QB.

Remember that Navy had to throw more, not their strong suit, when they fell behind.

Bob Green
11-26-2013, 12:37 PM
I swear to god, Knowles needs to bring the pressure more...And blitzers from certain positions can limit the QB's ability to scramble, which is a major problem recently....

This will be key on Saturday against Marquise Williams. Losing Bryn Renner for the season was a plus for Carolina's offense not because Williams is a better QB than Renner, he isn't, but because Williams is a better fit to run Fedora's offense. We must contain Williams from scrambling and I agree with you up the middle is a concern. I thought we had solved the weak middle issues experienced all too often in seasons past until Tanner Price exploited the middle of our defense last Saturday.

Bring the heat...

For the offense, will we see any new wrinkles on Saturday? I'll refrain from pointless speculation on what those wrinkles will be, but I firmly believe Coach Cut/Coach Roper will have something new in the playbook to throw at the Heels in order to catch 'em by surprise, keep 'em off balance, etc...

loran16
11-26-2013, 01:34 PM
This will be key on Saturday against Marquise Williams. Losing Bryn Renner for the season was a plus for Carolina's offense not because Williams is a better QB than Renner, he isn't, but because Williams is a better fit to run Fedora's offense. We must contain Williams from scrambling and I agree with you up the middle is a concern. I thought we had solved the weak middle issues experienced all too often in seasons past until Tanner Price exploited the middle of our defense last Saturday.

Bring the heat...

For the offense, will we see any new wrinkles on Saturday? I'll refrain from pointless speculation on what those wrinkles will be, but I firmly believe Coach Cut/Coach Roper will have something new in the playbook to throw at the Heels in order to catch 'em by surprise, keep 'em off balance, etc...

I'm curious what our pass/rush breakdown will be. From Navy through NC State, Duke, especially under Boone, was very pass heavy and minimized the RBs a lot. Then against Miami, the rush returned, and it was a big weapon early - though a lot less effective - vs Wake. Will we continue rushing on first in the first quarter? Or back to early passes?

roywhite
11-26-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm curious what our pass/rush breakdown will be. From Navy through NC State, Duke, especially under Boone, was very pass heavy and minimized the RBs a lot. Then against Miami, the rush returned, and it was a big weapon early - though a lot less effective - vs Wake. Will we continue rushing on first in the first quarter? Or back to early passes?

Interesting points, though a successful short passing game often involves the Running Backs. Duncan had 3 catches and Shaq Powell 2 catches vs Wake. Might do some more of that vs the Holes.

Boone also was key to the running game, with 57 yards rushing; he is quite a weapon when he gets going; high completion percentage and can run when available.

I suspect UNC will try to take Crowder away as much as possible, with close attention and some double teams. The diversification of the offense becomes even more important in that event.

devildeac
11-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Interesting points, though a successful short passing game often involves the Running Backs. Duncan had 3 catches and Shaq Powell 2 catches vs Wake. Might do some more of that vs the Holes.

Boone also was key to the running game, with 57 yards rushing; he is quite a weapon when he gets going; high completion percentage and can run when available.

I suspect UNC will try to take Crowder away as much as possible, with close attention and some double teams. The diversification of the offense becomes even more important in that event.

Take Crowder away? I hope they don't try to behead/dismember him like they Lewis and Vernon at kenan a couple years ago when they went head hunting on them and got 6 PF called which coulda/shoulda easily been several more. DitBD will remember that game...:mad:

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Take Crowder away? I hope they don't try to behead/dismember him like they Lewis and Vernon at kenan a couple years ago when they went head hunting on them and got 6 PF called which coulda/shoulda easily been several more. DitBD will remember that game...:mad:
I do indeed. Marvin Austin beat Thad Lewis until Thad was on all fours. From that time on, Austin's jersey has been the last tackle. It was the meanest, nastiest sort of play. I don't not wish injuries on anyone, but I would love to see UNC players knocked down hard and be slow to get up, play after play. Last year before the Duke - UNC game, Ebron et al said Duke was not their rival. They've changed their tune this year, denigrating NC State and now saying Duke is a sort of rival. Rivals are not situational. Beat downs are.

OldPhiKap
11-26-2013, 05:56 PM
I am concerned about injuries in this game. UNC is the dirtiest team in the league.

-jk
11-26-2013, 06:05 PM
I am concerned about injuries in this game. UNC is the dirtiest team in the league.

Bold statement. Especially after Duke visiting Blacksburg now and then. Unless you mean off the field, of course.

-jk

OldPhiKap
11-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Bold statement. Especially after Duke visiting Blacksburg now and then. Unless you mean off the field, of course.

-jk

After watching them try to roll Clowney in the opener, I don't blame him for taking the rest of the year easy.

UNC has 83 penalties this year (66 ypg), VTech has 65 (46 ypg). Duke, by contrast, has 53 (41 ypg).

Per ACC:

PENALTIES G No. Yards Avg/G
1. Boston College 11 38 317 28.8
2. Maryland 11 49 398 36.2
3. Duke 11 53 453 41.2
4. Clemson 11 50 454 41.3
5. Georgia Tech 11 55 460 41.8
6. NC State 11 65 480 43.6
7. Virginia Tech 11 65 504 45.8
8. Florida State 11 59 514 46.7
9. Pitt 11 67 530 48.2
10. Miami 11 65 532 48.4
11. Wake Forest 11 68 571 51.9
12. Virginia 11 72 576 52.4
13. Syracuse 11 85 716 65.1
14. North Carolina 11 83 721 65.5

-jk
11-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Paging Kedsy! We need penalties per possession! Penalties per yard! C'mon!, I know you have it.

-jk

OldPhiKap
11-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Paging Kedsy! We need
penalties per possession!
Penalties per yard! C'mon!, I
know you have it.

-jk

Stat!

sagegrouse
11-26-2013, 06:34 PM
After watching them try to roll Clowney in the opener, I don't blame him for taking the rest of the year easy.

UNC has 83 penalties this year (66 ypg), VTech has 65 (46 ypg). Duke, by contrast, has 53 (41 ypg).

Per ACC:

PENALTIES G No. Yards Avg/G
1. BC 11 38 317 28.8
2. MD 11 49 398 36.2
3. DU 11 53 453 41.2
4. CL 11 50 454 41.3
5. GT 11 55 460 41.8
6. NCS 11 65 480 43.6
7. VPI 11 65 504 45.8
8. FSU 11 59 514 46.7
9. Pitt 11 67 530 48.2
10. Mia 11 65 532 48.4
11. WF 11 68 571 51.9
12. UVa 11 72 576 52.4
13. Syr 11 85 716 65.1
14. UNC 11 83 721 65.5

Easier to read?

OldPhiKap
11-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Easier to read?

Quite, thanks!

nyesq83
11-26-2013, 06:41 PM
I am expecting the officials to keep their hankies in their pockets, and they are not going to hold UNC accountable, early in the game.

This is a noon game, too, and they will want to keep the clock rolling for TV.

I bet Duke is called for early questionable calls, too.

I hope I am wrong.

OldPhiKap
11-26-2013, 06:44 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiLzOnOv-Qs

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Just once I'd like to witness the loud mouths silenced, the nasty thrown out and the cheaters beaten soundly. If that happens Saturday, those who are visitors will need to be aware of their surroundings.

roywhite
11-26-2013, 08:04 PM
From the ESPN ACC blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/acc)

1. No. 24 Duke (9-2, 5-2) at North Carolina (6-5, 4-3). The Coastal-leading and BCS-ranked Blue Devils are the underdog in this game. We can hear folks in Durham chanting, "No Respect!" Both teams are hot, but Duke is hotter, having won seven straight for the first time since 1994. The Blue Devils have won three games this year after trailing by at least 10 points, including last week against Wake Forest. We have spoken repeatedly about their fourth-quarter performance, and these numbers from ESPN Stats & Info show how dominant they have been in the final period. Duke ranks No. 1 in the nation in points margin in the fourth quarter (plus-76) and second in turnovers forced (11). Duke has not won consecutive meetings against North Carolina since 1987-89. But this year has been full of history making turns for Duke. Why not make some more?

Quite a stat about 4th quarter performance

airowe
11-26-2013, 08:09 PM

Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6D1ztH2Im4

nyesq83
11-26-2013, 08:44 PM
No penalty called on that last year.

Our guys must maintain composure and avoid retaliation calls.

No stupidity. Execution is all.

OldPhiKap
11-26-2013, 09:36 PM
No flag, but at least he got congratulations from his fellow cheating bastard teammate.

Let the wanker filter get me, I don't care. That is low rent I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

#TheCarolinaWayCanKissMyWanker

Reilly
11-26-2013, 10:28 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiLzOnOv-Qs

Well, I don't really blame Carolina linemen for going no-holds-barred .... not after those gals beat them up on Franklin Street a couple years ago.

CameronBornAndBred
11-26-2013, 10:32 PM
I thought we had solved the weak middle issues experienced all too often in seasons past until Tanner Price exploited the middle of our defense last Saturday.
But we adjusted. Not that we want to "adjust" against Carolina...if we do, I will be worried for the first time in a while that we won't get our ducks in a row. But the team will be ready for it. An exploit exposed is an exploit closed.

CameronBornAndBred
11-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Yep.

I click play and want it to last the whole game.

devildeac
11-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Yep.

Yep, I remember that. Right in front of a ref. No flag. No ejection. No suspension. Pathetic.

loran16
11-27-2013, 09:27 AM
I click play and want it to last the whole game.

Oh man, I forgot about that play. Holy cow.

roywhite
11-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Yep, I remember that. Right in front of a ref. No flag. No ejection. No suspension. Pathetic.

Shakeel Rashad is the name of the guilty party. And, though there was no penalty at the time, he was suspended by the ACC office for one game. (and 3 refs were also disciplined based on that game)

Rashad was injured early in the year, and believed to be lost for the season, but has returned, and will be on the field Saturday. I'm not up for retailiation; a decisive Duke victory would be the best medicine.

devildeac
11-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Shakeel Rashad is the name of the guilty party. And, though there was no penalty at the time, he was suspended by the ACC office for one game. (and 3 refs were also disciplined based on that game)

Rashad was injured early in the year, and believed to be lost for the season, but has returned, and will be on the field Saturday. I'm not up for retailiation; a decisive Duke victory would be the best medicine.

Ooh, thanks for correction. Never saw that on the news or in the papers. Surprise:rolleyes:!

I agree on payback/retaliation. 28-24 in favor of the good guys would be sweet;).

OldPhiKap
11-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Ooh, thanks for correction. Never saw that on the news or in the papers. Surprise:rolleyes:!

I agree on payback/retaliation. 28-24 in favor of the good guys would be sweet;).

Avenge ODU! Win 80-20!

DukieInKansas
11-27-2013, 01:14 PM

True.

Avenge ODU! Win 80-20!

Even better!

NYBri
11-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Yep.

The fact the the Hole's coach did nothing also speaks volumes. I bet Cut would have had a few words to say to his player is that happened on our side...and I bet they would be out of the game at that point as well?

nocilla
11-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Jamison Crowder chats with UNC's Dre Bly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUJl0ZircfQ

Papa John
11-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Jamison Crowder chats with UNC's Dre Bly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUJl0ZircfQ

Man, Dre Bly can still move! I love how he ended that—"I need some ice, for both hammies!"...

OldPhiKap
11-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Man, Dre Bly can still move! I love how he ended that—"I need some ice, for both hammies!"...

Very cool.

devildeac
11-27-2013, 09:21 PM
I "borrowed" this from Ima Facultiwyfe:

While visiting the country, the Pope decided to take a ride in his Popemobile along the NC coastline. Cruising along enjoying the scenery, he suddenly shouted for his driver to stop! He was horrified to see a guy in a UNC T-shirt flailing about trying to free himself from the jaws of a 25 foot shark! Then an amazing thing happened, something he thought may even be a miracle. A boat raced up along side the man, carrying three fellows all wearing Duke shirts! One of them swiftly cast a harpoon into the side of the shark, released the victim and pulled him into the boat. Next, they beat the shark into submission and captured it in a net and hauled it on board as well.

The Pope motioned them over to shore where he lavishly and ceremoniously blessed the three for their extraordinary kindness and heroics in saving a man who was their hated rival.

After he drove away, the harpoon guy said, "Who was that?"
"Oh that was the Pope. He shares all the wisdom of God." was the mate's reply.
"Well, he may share all those smarts, he answered, but he sure as hell doesn't know a thing about shark fishin' ! How's the bait holding up?"

I have thanked her for her joke already.

Dukehky
11-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Over/Under 15 "No, this isn't a basketball game!!!" statements from announcers/anchors on Saturday? I'm going with the over.

nyesq83
11-29-2013, 02:50 AM
We are going to send them to hell.

Dunkin
11-29-2013, 10:36 AM
GTHC

9F9F9F9F

That's all folks!

alteran
11-29-2013, 11:23 AM

Completely mind-boggling, that.

alteran
11-29-2013, 11:32 AM

I didn't know either of those (or forgot). Good to know. that actually makes me feel a lot better about that.

There is literally no excuse for the officials missing that.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Great press for Duke football on an ESPN feature column:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/63955/cutcliffe-duke-embracing-new-expectations

NiceMarmot
11-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Any advice on arrival times and parking at Kenan?
First Duke game and first time to Kenan (thanks to UNC Athletics' Academic All-Stars program and my 8 year-old's efforts. :))

Thanks and GTHC!

Indoor66
11-29-2013, 05:29 PM
First Duke game and first time to Kenan (thanks to UNC Athletics' Academic All-Stars program and my 8 year-old's efforts. :))

Thanks and GTHC!

On parking, all I can say is Good Luck. If you can get there early enough - the Hospital lots on Manning.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Thanks and GTHC!
You won't be parking at Kenan. Most football parking is in remote lots. There is a very good shuttle system with a reasonable round trip charge. This link takes you to parking and shuttle information which is on the athletic department's web site.
http://www.dps.unc.edu/SpecEvent/Football.htm

throatybeard
11-30-2013, 12:17 AM

Public transit.

Oh, wait, this is the endless expanse of suburban sprawl grease fire that is the Triangle.

Serious suggestion: Have someone drop you off, and then collect you about half an hour after the last whistle...at a location you can walk to that is somewhere else in Chapel Hill, not at Kenan.

Reilly
11-30-2013, 06:31 AM
The Fight Song, "Fight Blue Devils"

Fight, Fight Blue Devils
Fight for Duke and the Blue and White
March on through
For the touchdown's there for you
Go get 'em
Duke is out to win today
Carolina goodnight
So turn on the steam team
Fight Blue Devils Fight

The Alma Mater, "Dear Old Duke"

Dear old Duke, thy name we sing
To thee our voices raise, we'll raise
To thee our anthems ring in everlasting praise
And though on life's broad sea
Our fates may far us bear
We'll ever turn to thee
Our Alma Mater dear

Another Fight Song, "Blue and White"

Duke, we thy anthems raise
For all thy praises untold
We sing for the Blue and White
Whose colors we uphold
Firm stand our line of blue
For we are loyal through and through
All for the love of old D.U.
Fight! We'll Fight!
With all our strength and might
Win we can
So here we give a hand
Hey!
Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah!
D-U-K-E, Rah!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=242332

NYBri
11-30-2013, 08:27 AM
The Fight Song, "Fight Blue Devils"

Fight, Fight Blue Devils
Fight for Duke and the Blue and White
March on through
For the touchdown's there for you
Go get 'em
Duke is out to win today
Carolina goodnight
So turn on the steam team
Fight Blue Devils Fight

The Alma Mater, "Dear Old Duke"

Dear old Duke, thy name we sing
To thee our voices raise, we'll raise
To thee our anthems ring in everlasting praise
And though on life's broad sea
Our fates may far us bear
We'll ever turn to thee
Our Alma Mater dear

Another Fight Song, "Blue and White"

Duke, we thy anthems raise
For all thy praises untold
We sing for the Blue and White
Whose colors we uphold
Firm stand our line of blue
For we are loyal through and through
All for the love of old D.U.
Fight! We'll Fight!
With all our strength and might
Win we can
So here we give a hand
Hey!
Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah!
D-U-K-E, Rah!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=242332

And a hearty 9F!

dukebballcamper90-91
11-30-2013, 09:13 AM

Bob Green
11-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Duke has an opportunity to finish the regular season undefeated, on the road, with a win today.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Rip 'em Up!

Tear 'em Up!

Give'm Hell DUKE!!!!

fisheyes
11-30-2013, 10:30 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/30/sports/ncaafootball/at-duke-football-is-the-new-basketball.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Great article!

Go Duke!

9F 9F 9F!!!

NYBri
11-30-2013, 10:39 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/30/sports/ncaafootball/at-duke-football-is-the-new-basketball.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Great article!

Go Duke!

9F 9F 9F!!!

Before Cutcliffe arrived, Ron Wellman, Wake Forest’s athletic director, approached White. Wellman shook his hand. He had more to say than just congratulations.

“We’ll be rooting for you next week,” Wellman said. “Finish it off.”

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 10:41 AM

Great article!

Go Duke!

9F 9F 9F!!!

Great link, thanks!

I saw that the FoxSports college football show yesterday (Terry Bowden and some others uy, sorry) both picked Duke to win today.

Let's make history, guys!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2013, 11:22 AM
I've been told that the odds makers in Vegas have picked Carolina, but I think our man Shaquille Powell (from Vegas) will show them the truth of the new reality! ;)

moonpie23
11-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Public transit.

Oh, wait, this is the endless expanse of suburban sprawl grease fire that is the Triangle.

visions of that sleek, elevated monorail running down the center of I-40 to loop around durham, chapel hill, the research trailer park, and the raleigh belt line may as well be a pulp fiction image on the front of a Robert A. Heinlein novel…

:(

OldPhiKap
11-30-2013, 11:33 AM
visions of that sleek, elevated monorail running down the center of I-40 to loop around durham, chapel hill, the research trailer park, and the raleigh belt line may as well be a pulp fiction image on the front of a Robert A. Heinlein novel…

:(

They've got a monorail in Ogdenvile, and it put them on the map ....

-jk
11-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Go to Hell, Carolina!

DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open. Let's go Duke!

-jk

Faison1
11-30-2013, 11:53 AM
They've got a monorail in Ogdenvile, and it put them on the map ....

Monorail, Monorail! Monorail, Monorail!!

I've got the answer to that, but you and I would be the only ones smart enough to understand it!

killerleft
11-30-2013, 11:55 AM
10-2? Duke? Let's get ready to rumble!!

Go Devils!!! GTHC!!

riverside6
11-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Live stats and play analysis for Duke/UNC here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=3625

Dukehky
11-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Absolutely a block in the back. I don't understand why Cut "played it safe" on that 4th and 1. I literally cannot remember a play in the last 3 years where it was fourth and one in the opponent's territory that we didn't go for it. A questionable decision along with an atrocious no call. Down 0-7. Need points here.

WakeDevil
11-30-2013, 12:19 PM
No, that was not a clip. Absolutely not.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Absolutely a block in the back. I don't understand why Cut "played it safe" on that 4th and 1. I literally cannot remember a play in the last 3 years where it was fourth and one in the opponent's territory that we didn't go for it. A questionable decision along with an atrocious no call. Down 0-7. Need points here.

Agree on both counts. Cut missed a big opportunity, and our defender probably stops Riley if not for the block in the back, so it was a very big no call there.

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Touchdown and a cheap shot by the Holes

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Big play!

uh_no
11-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Touchdown and a cheap shot by the Holes

shame the penalty is meaningless...they ought to assess the 15 yards before the first play of the next drive...making it first and 25

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Sometimes you just have to have one. That was it. Great drive, overcoming penalties and effectively running and passing. Let's go defense.

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Good play after two penalties. And nice non-retaliation by Crowder.

Hold here!

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Bend but don't break.

uh_no
11-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Bend but don't break.

they barely got into our territory...i like this new definition of bending :D

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Is it just me, or are the announcers miscalling every gain by a yard or two, as if they can't really see the field.

Acymetric
11-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Is it just me, or are the announcers miscalling every gain by a yard or two, as if they can't really see the field.

The girl is especially bad, I was going to post something earlier. They also seem surprised by forward progress.

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 12:42 PM

Punt out at the 1. Duke ball at the 2

uh_no
11-30-2013, 12:42 PM
The girl is especially bad, I was going to post something earlier. They also seem surprised by forward progress.

she also said last week that duke would be playing kansas last night instead of arizona....though at least this week the cameramen seem capable of following the ball...unlike last time where they bit on the play action jsut about every down....

Gthoma2a
11-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Crazy that the block in the back made their first drive that easy, but the refs tried their best to back us out of the red zone. Glad it worked out.

I am just going to embrace that, at this point in the season, we're a football school. We've got a great team. The thing that sets them apart is that they're a team in the truest sense. We have a QB that is willing to line up as a receiver, while another guy gets the minutes. Good to see.

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 12:46 PM
With the noon start, you get the noon announcer. Don't let her distract you from the fun.

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Gotta score a TD here. We are wearing them down.

uh_no
11-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Gotta score a TD here. We are wearing them down.

really? a called boone run on 3rd and goal from the 4? awful awful call

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Carolina not only stops the quarterback draw but they played it like they knew it was coming

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 12:57 PM
really? a called boone run on 3rd and goal from the 4? awful awful call

I was thinking of something a bit more imaginative. Stop playing to not lose and play to win!

OZ
11-30-2013, 12:58 PM
They out thought themselves on that set of plays.

uh_no
I was thinking of something a bit more imaginative. Stop playing to not lose and play to win!

i don't know why we didn't just pound it up the middle....they haven't been able to consistently stop it....even when connette is in and teams KNOW it's coming, they can't stop it.

davekay1971
Would have loved to get a TD but that was a great drive. If Carolina had made us punt from that deep in our own territory, we would have been looking at almost certainly giving up 3 or 7. Driving the length of the field, wearing down their D, keeping their O on the sidelines, was all good stuff. A TD would have been better, by a bunch, but it was a good drive.

Come on Defense!!!! Get the ball back before halftime so we can add to this lead.

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 12:59 PM
They got that block in the back

davekay1971
11-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Good hold, DEFENSE!

Make them pay...another score before halftime, Duke.

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Damn, get it back

uh_no
11-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Good hold, DEFENSE!

Make them pay...another score before halftime, Duke.

so much for that...

davekay1971
11-30-2013, 01:04 PM
so much for that...

Just can't have that in a game like this. Defense needs to hold but that is a monstrous missed opportunity for us.

Gthoma2a
That really messed up our defense. They did everything right, and now we're forcing them to do it again with less room to work with.

PDDuke85
Holding Thorpe.......

Gthoma2a
11-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Whew. That was fortunate. Actually, no... no it wasn't. That turnover gave them the lead.

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Touchdown

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Looks like a TD

11-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Dang it

uh_no
11-30-2013, 01:13 PM
huge swing....should be 14-7 with us having the ball.....instead it's 15-10

Sixthman
Going for two in that situation is a sign of weakness

dukelifer
Huge mistake by Duke has given UNC all the momentum

uh_no
11-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Huge mistake by Duke has given UNC all the momentum

yeah....going 98 yards, not getting the TD, stopping them, then muffing the punt....two HUGE errors....

Sixthman
If we get the same Anthony Boone in the second half we did in the first, Duke will win.

Les Grossman
is a killer

PDDuke85
When was the last time an opponent went for 2 when not necessary at the time. #Tar Hoos

uh_no
11-30-2013, 01:16 PM
well....that will change things...

Gthoma2a
A weight has been lifted. I feel much better.

Les Grossman
is an even bigger killer!
Go Devils!

PDDuke85
How 'bout that

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Momentum, meet Devon .

uh_no
How 'bout that

someone should tell them having a mascot of holes doesn't mean they should leave a hole you could drive a semi through on kick coverage

nyesq83
DeVon rocks! I love this team. Faith!

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Cover the tight end!!!! He is a horse, a good 3rd and ten target

WakeDevil
11-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Horrible decision to go for the end zone with time for one play if you don't make it.

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Shoulda tried that pass to JC again.

Acymetric
11-30-2013, 01:34 PM
I don't mind that play call. You'll never get one of those if you don't take the shot, and even though that was an awful looking kick Ross Martin is absolutely capable of making it from that distance so I think it was a calculated move to take the shot knowing that you would still have a chance (even if it is a lesser chance than if you picked up some short yardage to make the kick easier) to get 3. Didn't pan out but I like the mentality, myself.

uh_no
11-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Horrible decision to go for the end zone with time for one play if you don't make it.

we almost converted it, and it seemed we were going into the wind, we would have needed 10-15 yards anyway to make it from a long bomb to a medium range shot anyway....so go for it

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 01:37 PM

He was wide open- almost a great play!

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Momentum, meet Devon .

Kid is special. Will need another solid half. Duke outplayed UNC but a couple mistakes and help from a no call has kept it close. Still you want game pressure - going up big can be a double edge sword.

davekay1971
11-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Duke is the better football team. One costly mistake, otherwise chances are very good we'd be going into the half with a bigger advantage than we have. If we play good, solid football in the second half, we win this game. No disrespect to Carolina...they're cheating scum and all but they're a good football team. However, we are a better than UNC on both sides of the football. Keep doing what we're doing, avoid the killer mistakes, and win this game.

uh_no
11-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Duke is the better football team. One costly mistake, otherwise chances are very good we'd be going into the half with a bigger advantage than we have. If we play good, solid football in the second half, we win this game. No disrespect to Carolina...they're cheating scum and all but they're a good football team. However, we are a better than UNC on both sides of the football. Keep doing what we're doing, avoid the killer mistakes, and win this game.

i'm worried that UNC will get desperate and start playing cheap...

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Start? Continue is more like it...

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2013, 01:46 PM
i'm worried that UNC will get desperate and start playing cheap...

They are already doing that... late hits, hidden violations, etc.

Gthoma2a
11-30-2013, 01:50 PM
We are clearly the better team, but we have to keep them from getting the breaks they need. Things like the muffed punt return come to mind.

I just heard that chant they always do. I've never been close enough to them to know what they were really saying, but I always like to imagine it's "Heels... suck!"

uh_no
11-30-2013, 01:51 PM
We are clearly the better team, but we have to keep them from getting the breaks they need. Things like the muffed punt return come to mind.

failing to convert on a goal-to-go situation for the first time this year

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 01:52 PM
I'll take that

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Need to capitalize

Gthoma2a
11-30-2013, 01:55 PM
failing to convert on a goal-to-go situation for the first time this year

Speak of the devil. We're here again.

Much better result!

uh_no
11-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Speak of the devil. We're here again.

Much better result!

was scared...yeesh...great pass though

Sixthman
Great decision, great catch by Crowder!! Ref could not have had better view. Two feet down!

PDDuke85
Both feet in, Pro Touchdown

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Kudos to Isaac Blackney on that drive BTW

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Very poised play by QB and receiver

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Drop much Logan.

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Drop much Logan.

Huge miss. Take it.

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 02:08 PM
We are better AND lucky!

Gthoma2a
I love that play-calling from UNC. Aggressive to the point of stupidity. They will give us the game like this.

Sixthman
That was our worst defensive series. Dodged several bullets.

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Drop much Logan.

Or, as they say in class, Tone

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Crowder catch good

Gthoma2a
11-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Boone wants to fill up the stat sheet. He was really trying for that interception.

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Back to back two worst decisions of the game by Boone

uh_no
11-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Back to back two worst decisions of the game by Boone

nah, the first one was jsut horribly placed...if he had led him better, he was open.

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Too much time to pass that whole series.

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Too much time to pass that whole series.

Too easy. UNC has been moving the ball much better

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:18 PM
nah, the first one was jsut horribly placed...if he had led him better, he was open.

I think he had first down with the run

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Crowder had a foot down, since that bad call them Holes have life.

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Team defense, gotta step up here.

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Crowder had a foot down, since that bad call them Holes have life.
They are playing with more energy. Duke needs a break to get some of it back

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Our quarter

killerleft
11-30-2013, 02:32 PM
One more big fourth quarter, please!

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Good stop. Our game now! Time for Devils to be a little more physical on offense and more aggressive on defense.

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Good stop. Our game now! Time for Devils to be a little more physical on offense and more aggressive on defense.
Punter is having game of his life

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Offense has been playing a little tight. No mistakes.

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Horrible play on third down. What are they thinking?

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Hope Cash is OK. We need a good defensive set here.went to the well once too often on that horsecollar. Dumb.

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Time to put a three and out on them.

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Defense looks soft. Not like Duke. Can't be tired . Step up!!!

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:46 PM
We need a sack!

uh_no
11-30-2013, 02:47 PM
We need a sack!

we need a turnover.

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:48 PM
We're selling out to coverage against a guy who doesn't throw that well

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:49 PM
I guess I was an idiot to criticize the two point conversion.

uh_no
11-30-2013, 02:50 PM
I guess I was an idiot to criticize the two point conversion.

eh, it's an easy second guess....if they missed it, it was a dumb play, if they make it, it's a great play....they took the risk and it paid off...good on 'em

FerryFor50
11-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Still not sure why Cut didn't challenge the Crowder incompletion. Been the turning point of the game for UNC...

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Still not sure why Cut didn't challenge the Crowder incompletion. Been the turning point of the game for UNC...

Agreed

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 02:55 PM
A big play needed- big play made

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 02:56 PM

Not sure there was overwhelming evidence

PDDuke85
11-30-2013, 02:58 PM
I need tums, Lipitor, nitroglycerine and, oh ya, a continued drive to score with no time left

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Do we now start running? If so I like Duncan today.

killerleft
11-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Fedora for Whiner of the Year. And after that no-call on the block in the back gave them a TD.

Go Duke!

nyesq83
11-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Keep moving and be strong with the ball. Almost in FG range but gotta chew clock.

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Was that the largest statue of a ram turd under the ram?

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Okay, I like Sneed!

_Gary
11-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Why do we keep hiking the ball with 15 to 20 seconds left on the clock each time? Might really come back to haunt us at the end not chewing up the time.

dukelifer
11-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Why do we keep hiking the ball with 15 to 20 seconds left on the clock each time? Might really come back to haunt us at the end not chewing up the time.

Needed a TD there.

Sixthman
11-30-2013, 03:04 PM

We're planning on another long touchdown drive for us

killerleft
Defense!!! Defense!!! Defense!!!!

uh_no

this happens every time we're in this situation...i have no idea how we're so darn bad at it...the game would be over right now.

we left them just enough time to do to us exactly what we did to them last year....