PDA

View Full Version : The Giving Thanks Thread

BlueDevilBrowns
11-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not, this is the time of year when folks get together and reflect on the blessings they've received in their life and show appreciation for the help of others.

In honor of that, I thought I'd start a thread for everyone to list what they're thankful for in the world of sports and all things Duke:

-Coach K - For displaying what it means to be a leader and a winner, not just on the court, but more importantly, in the game of life.

-Andre Dawkins - For having the courage to overcome adversity and helping put the game of basketball in proper perspective for fans.

-Coach Cut - For turning Duke into a "Football School", at least on Saturdays.

And what DBR thread would be complete without the snarky and sarcastic "thanks" as well:

-Ol' Roy - For always reminding me the dangers of taking oneself too seriously.

-PJ - For reminding me to never trust a man named after obesity(ie. Fatz).

-Inside Carolina - For improving my self-esteem on a daily basis.

-Maryland - For leaving.

OK, there's some of mine, so how about everyone else???

MartyClark
11-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I am thankful for all the pleasure I get from watching Duke basketball. I am extremely thankful for a wife who tolerates my addiction and will allow me to adjust our schedule in order to watch the games.

I'm also very thankful to live in this wonderful, flawed, imperfect country. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

brevity
11-22-2013, 08:07 PM
The UNC shenanigans are the gift that keeps on giving. Whatever the resolution, I'd like to give thanks to Pack Pride for fighting the good fight.

jv001
11-22-2013, 09:03 PM
For letting me be a Duke University fan. And thank you Lord for not letting me be a unc tarheel fan. God Bless all the Duke fans this Thanksgiving Holliday. GoDuke!

Newton_14
11-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not, this is the time of year when folks get together and reflect on the blessings they've received in their life and show appreciation for the help of others.

In honor of that, I thought I'd start a thread for everyone to list what they're thankful for in the world of sports and all things Duke:

-Coach K - For displaying what it means to be a leader and a winner, not just on the court, but more importantly, in the game of life.

-Andre Dawkins - For having the courage to overcome adversity and helping put the game of basketball in proper perspective for fans.

-Coach Cut - For turning Duke into a "Football School", at least on Saturdays.

And what DBR thread would be complete without the snarky and sarcastic "thanks" as well:

-Ol' Roy - For always reminding me the dangers of taking oneself too seriously.

-PJ - For reminding me to never trust a man named after obesity(ie. Fatz).

-Inside Carolina - For improving my self-esteem on a daily basis.

-Maryland - For leaving.

OK, there's some of mine, so how about everyone else???

Wonderful idea for a thread! Give the man trident points please!

I am thankful for a week long vacation next week (long overdue)

- For our DBR family to discuss hoops, football, and everything else Duke with
- The return of Andre Dawkins, and seeing him smile and having fun on the hardwood again
- Coach K, Coach Cut, and all the other great coaches at Duke
- Continued excellence in Basketball
- Being able to witness the entire K era to date. Don't take this for granted!
- Duke Football rising out of the ashes!

Ol Roy- The gift that keeps on giving. Just put the man in front of a microphone (especially after a loss or say 10 or 12 NCAA violations involving multiple players)

wsb3
11-23-2013, 10:17 AM
I am thankful that many years ago a coach most of us had not heard of with a name no one could pronounce came to Duke. I am even more thankful that he stayed despite the times the NBA came calling. How about another ten years Coach?

OldPhiKap
11-23-2013, 11:14 AM
I am thankful for Tom Butters, and whatever guiding star led him to hire and stand with a young coach through a rocky start.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2013, 11:16 AM
I am thankful for Tom Butters, and whatever guiding star led him to hire and stand with a young coach through a rocky start.

I am thankful that Cut and Crew have not only revived Duke football, they have done so the right way.

I am thankful for all my DBR virtual friends.

I will gratefully attend a bowl this year, and hope to see you there.