PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 11-19-13

jimsumner
11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
My first one of these for a nationally-ranked team.

The narrative is that Duke remains level-headed and focused on Wake Forest. Given the track record, I'm inclined to believe the narrative.

Cut said that the "leadership of the team has done a nice job of focusing on the job at hand."

Cut said Duke had its best practice of the season this morning. "The players know what's out there for them. I'm happy that they're feeling good. There's no question we're focused on Wake Forest. It's an intense rivalry game." He added that you could feel good but stay focused.

Look for the quarterback rotation to remain intact for Wake.

Cut acknowledged that there was some early-season tension among the running-back corps. "There are never enough footballs for skill people." Cut said he had some conversations but that the players "corrected themselves." Gave Juwan Thompson--the only senior running back--a lot of credit. Said Thompson's unselfishness defined "what we've become as a program."

Duke pretty healthy. Jonathan Woodruff (elbow) got some work today but is not likely to play Saturday.

Wake coming into the game off an open date. Cut said that they should be a little better rested than Duke and added "we're all looking for a little energy edge" this time of the season. He also added that worrying about playing a team coming off an open date is "pure wasted energy."

Cutcliffe likes Nikita Whitlock. A lot.

Some discussion of the punt unit, which has allowed touchdown returns in the last two games. Cut said that when a unit is doing well, there is a tendency to assume that someone else will make the play. Says Duke has "lost its edge" in that area. Needs to get it back.

Cut was asked if he was enjoying this season or if that would have to wait until the off-season. He referenced his open-heart surgery and stated that he's "enjoyed everything after that. Before that, I never even noticed the leaves change."

Ross Cockrell on maintaining focus. "The message has been fairly simple all year, going back to the spring. We want to make sure we finish. Obviously, guys are excited. This is the first time we've been in a situation like this. But we know the job is not done. We understand, because we've been there before. We've been through 3-9 seasons, 5-7 seasons. We've been on the other end."

Sidney Sarmiento on the same subject. "We're fighting for something bigger than just ourselves. We're fighting for each other, we're fighting to have the best season we can possibly have."

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Wow! This is a November distinctive from the past! On to Wake!

I've heard that the players want as many Duke fans as possible in the stands at BB&T field Saturday. Noon kickoff, bit of a chill in the air and 50% chance of rain. ... a day to dress up and show up!

Dev11
11-19-2013, 05:39 PM
My first one of these for a nationally-ranked team.

Mazel tov! Here's to many more weeks of it!

Ross Cockrell on maintaining focus. "The message has been fairly simple all year, going back to the spring. We want to make sure we finish. Obviously, guys are excited. This is the first time we've been in a situation like this. But we know the job is not done. We understand, because we've been there before. We've been through 3-9 seasons, 5-7 seasons. We've been on the other end."

One of Cut's main focuses for years now has been winning in November. The monkey has been lifted a little with big wins this November, but now we have a new goal: finishing November strong to win a championship. K emphasizes championships. Cutcliffe does, too, I believe. It's cool that the senior leaders are similarly focused. If Duke doesn't win again this season, we'll remember this season fondly for the big 4th quarter wins and especially the upsets of VT and Miami. If Duke wins its next two games, this goes down as one of the best seasons in program history (the Iron Dukes notwithstanding). I'm willing to bet that Ross Cockrell and company would love for that to be the case.

Bob Green
11-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Look for the quarterback rotation to remain intact for Wake.

My two cents, if it isn't broke don't fix it! Both quarterbacks are contributing so both should continue to play.

Duke pretty healthy.

Those are three beautiful words, especially in mid-November.

nyesq83
11-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Well deserved, they create more holes than could sit in a Dean Dome...

jv001
11-19-2013, 05:55 PM
My two cents, if it isn't broke don't fix it! Both quarterbacks are contributing so both should continue to play.

Those are three beautiful words, especially in mid-November.

I agree that both should play. I believe it takes some pressure off Connette and especially Boone. It seemed to me that he was not throwing the football freely and smoothly. More like guiding the ball instead of using his God given talent for just letting it go. Maybe too much thinking involved. I look for both to have big games against Wake. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
11-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Jim, can you describe whether there are more reporters, or any real difference, over the last few weeks? Or is it no different on that side oft he podium?

DukeHLM'13
11-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Wow! This is a November distinctive from the past! On to Wake!

I've heard that the players want as many Duke fans as possible in the stands at BB&T field Saturday. Noon kickoff, bit of a chill in the air and 50% chance of rain. ... a day to dress up and show up!

I've got a group of ~10 rolling into Winston Friday night. We'll be out early to tailgate Saturday and looking forward to making some noise in the other team's place!

-jk
11-19-2013, 06:53 PM
I've got a group of ~10 rolling into Winston Friday night. We'll be out early to tailgate Saturday and looking forward to making some noise in the other team's place!

When they visited, Alabama fans ran a flag up a light pole and cut the halliard. YMMV.

-jk

jimsumner
11-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Jim, can you describe whether there are more reporters, or any real difference, over the last few weeks? Or is it no different on that side oft he podium?

A few more at the Tuesday media luncheon, a lot more at the last two post-games.