PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 28, Wake Forest 14, Refs 7

loran16
11-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Duke opened as 5.5 point favorites over Wake. Oddly, the line has moved down to 4.5 in 24 hours (People are betting on Wake?).

Sagarin predicts Duke by 12. Massey has Duke by 7 (and has us as 70% favorites).

As of last week (And Wake had a bye so the #s shouldn't change much), Football Outsiders had Wake's O ranked 110th in the Country, while their D ranked 39th.
Wake's O further breaks down into: 122nd Rushing, 90th Passing.
Wake's D is 35th against the Run, 39th against the Pass.

In short, Wake is an even more extreme version of NC State - especially now that Campanaro's out (his impact is still included in those Offensive #s above!). Their O is beyond inept - Tanner Price can have his moments but he doesn't have a single solid receiver now, and their run game is nonexistent. Duke's D should have a much easier game next week (Wake's offensive line also appears to be bad).

Our offense will find it more of a challenge however - Wake's NT Nikita Whitlock is a beast - he's 5'11" 250 pounds and still beats every O line he faces, managing 1.5 sacks against FSU of all teams (he also might be a little dirty). He's the key to their Run and pass D really, and he's really really good. Expect Duke to put up less points than usual on O, but if they convert a few times, that should be more than enough.

When Campanaro went down, Wake managed under 200 yards vs Syracuse - they simply do not have the offensive threat to put up points. The O needs to avoid turnovers and just get points where they can and we should be able to do that.

Wander
11-18-2013, 09:48 AM
managing 1.5 sacks against FSU of all teams

Surprisingly, this is something that FSU is not good at - they're near the bottom of the ACC in allowing sacks (Duke is one of the best).

loran16
11-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Surprisingly, this is something that FSU is not good at - they're near the bottom of the ACC in allowing sacks (Duke is one of the best).

Good point (Although I wonder how much of that is because they play backups for half of their games). Still, Whitlock is a beast and a lock for All-ACC first team. He's containable, but it's gonna be a challenge.

Dukehky
11-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Also, Duke's run game isn't based around off-center runs. Even the power running game is off tackle and outside digs. Now, Whitlock is a great college player, but he's kind of been pigeonholed as the Nose Tackle. With our style of running, he shouldn't get all that many great looks at stuffing the run (unless it's Connette who just runs right up the gut). This is not to say that Wake's coaching staff is stupid, so I expect them to more Whitlock around a little bit. I think their secondary is very susceptible though. I'm going to look for a lot of quick outs and screens to be a major part of our rushing attack. Also, I have a lot of faith in our offensive line, especially the interior guys. Harding very well may be an All-ACC guy this year.

I don't want to overlook or underestimate the Deacs. They are a real SOB to beat in Winston-Salem for us historically. If we play like we did against Miami, then we should be fine. We do need for Boone to throw the ball better though. No turnovers, and we'll win by >10

OldPhiKap
11-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Wake has also had a week off to prepare, so I would expect some wrinkles we have not seen yet on both sides of the line.

If the heart of their defense is in the box, I would expect a bunch of swing passes and bubbles. Like, even more than usual. (Which I am okay with although I know there are those who feel otherwise).

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Wake has also had a week off to prepare, so I would expect some wrinkles we have not seen yet on both sides of the line.

If the heart of their defense is in the box, I would expect a bunch of swing passes and bubbles. Like, even more than usual. (Which I am okay with although I know there are those who feel otherwise).
Not only did they have the week off, they called it "Duke week."

budwom
11-18-2013, 12:13 PM

Yup, I'm expecting Wake to unleash a bunch of flea flickers and the like, all sorts of chicanery...

Mal
11-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Good point (Although I wonder how much of that is because they play backups for half of their games). Also worth noting that Winston, with his 11+ yards per attempt, probably takes a lot more 7 step dropbacks and throws less quick swing passes and screens, increasing the taking of sacks.

brevity
11-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Duke opened as 5.5 point favorites over Wake. Oddly, the line has moved down to 4.5 in 24 hours (People are betting on Wake?).

Makes sense. Top 25 newbie looks ahead to UNC game and overlooks a trap road game against Wake Forest. I can see the appeal.

CameronBornAndBred
11-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Makes sense. Top 25 newbie looks ahead to UNC game and overlooks a trap road game against Wake Forest. I can see the appeal.

Cutcliffe isn’t worried about the Blue Devils’ recent success making them complacent – “this team will not do that, he said. “But the thing you have to concern yourself with is getting too uptight. Anybody is capable of doing that.”
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/17/3381965/national-polls-come-calling-for.html
So Cut is aware of the possibility, but I have no doubt the team will keep their focus where it needs to be.

brevity
11-18-2013, 03:25 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/17/3381965/national-polls-come-calling-for.html
So Cut is aware of the possibility, but I have no doubt the team will keep their focus where it needs to be.

Oh, I'm sure Duke will be prepared for the task at hand. But a team's actual mentality and the collective opinion of gamblers are two very different things. For some reason, the sports world finds the latter more newsworthy.

A-Tex Devil
11-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Until we make this type of season a habit, Wake @ Wake always scares me. They managed a better showing against NC State than we did on the offensive end (defense and special teams won that game for Duke). I'm still from Missouri with Boone and an above average defense, which Wake clearly has, especially if you adjust out for the obligatory Florida St. beatdown.

That said, Duke *should* come out on top leading up to (if we win) the most important Carolina game since.... ever, right? More riding on this one than 1989 or 1994. And if the Texas A&M Aggies have taught me anything, it's that we can say we are "Conference Champions" so long as we at least tie for first place in the division..

Fun fact -- Tanner Price went to the same high school as Drew Brees and Nick Foles (and Justin Tucker).

Dev11
11-18-2013, 04:28 PM
And if the Texas A&M Aggies have taught me anything, it's that we can say we are "Conference Champions" so long as we at least tie for first place in the division..

Beating Wake alone would satisfy this, actually. Beating both would mean we got the division outright.

OldPhiKap
11-18-2013, 04:31 PM
And if the Texas A&M Aggies have taught me anything, it's that we can say we are "Conference Champions" so long as we at least tie for first place in the division..

Somehow, Steve Spurrier declared that we won the ACC in 1989 even though we tied with UVa. The reasoning, as I recall, was that we beat Clemson and UVa didn't. So, even though UVa beat us in our match-up, we were still the "real" winners.

(I may have that mixed up -- Jim Sumner will no doubt correct it if someone does not prior -- but as I sit here on hold that's the best I can do).

Duvall
11-18-2013, 04:32 PM
That said, Duke *should* come out on top leading up to (if we win) the most important Carolina game since.... ever, right? More riding on this one than 1989 or 1994. ).

Is there? Duke had an conference title on the line in 1989, not just the chance to play for one.

A-Tex Devil
11-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Is there? Duke had an conference title on the line in 1989, not just the chance to play for one.

I guess the answer is "Yes" and "No," considering the FSU juggernaut. I think if we win the division outright, that's a bigger accomplishment than 1989, even if we get mudholed by FSU. But a true conference championship is certainly much less likely this year (although we have to play the games!).

alteran
11-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Somehow, Steve Spurrier declared that we won the ACC in 1989 even though we tied with UVa. The reasoning, as I recall, was that we beat Clemson and UVa didn't. So, even though UVa beat us in our match-up, we were still the "real" winners.

(I may have that mixed up -- Jim Sumner will no doubt correct it if someone does not prior -- but as I sit here on hold that's the best I can do).

That sounds about right. I'd add that 1) UVA's coach (Welsh?) said THEY were the real conference champions because they beat Duke during the regular season, and 2) Spurrier RESPONDED to that as above-- which, IMHO, puts the comment in a much different light. Duke was ACC Co-Champs, Welsh was being petty, and Spurrier was standing up for his team.

But that was a long time ago, and maybe I'm mistaken.

Reilly
11-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Somehow, Steve Spurrier declared that we won the ACC in 1989 even though we tied with UVa. The reasoning, as I recall, was that we beat Clemson and UVa didn't. So, even though UVa beat us in our match-up, we were still the "real" winners. ...

I believe Spurrier's dig was not only that UVa had not beaten Clemson in 1989, but that UVa had never beaten Clemson to that point, ever. To be the champ, you have to beat the champ.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/acc/virginia/opponents_records.php?teamid=721

I have no problem celebrating a 5-3 tied division crown, if it comes to that.

A-Tex Devil
11-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Somehow, Steve Spurrier declared that we won the ACC in 1989 even though we tied with UVa. The reasoning, as I recall, was that we beat Clemson and UVa didn't. So, even though UVa beat us in our match-up, we were still the "real" winners. ...

I believe Spurrier's dig was not only that UVa had not beaten Clemson in 1989, but that UVa had never beaten Clemson to that point, ever. To be the champ, you have to beat the champ.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/acc/virginia/opponents_records.php?teamid=721

I have no problem celebrating a 5-3 tied division crown, if it comes to that.

Agreed. But we ought not call ourselves conference champions if we don't win the ACCCG.

Reilly
11-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Agreed. But we ought not call ourselves conference champions if we don't win the ACCCG.

Is anybody suggesting that we call our division-winning selves conference champions?

A-Tex Devil
11-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Is anybody suggesting that we call our division-winning selves conference champions?

Sorry -- I was making a joke up above that if we even tie for first in the division, whether or not we go to the ACCCG, we could do like Texas A&M and claim a conference title (See the 1997 and 2010 Big XII Conference Champion Texas A&M Aggies). Apologies, and carry on....

killerleft
11-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Sorry -- I was making a joke up above that if we even tie for first in the division, whether or not we go to the ACCCG, we could do like Texas A&M and claim a conference title (See the 1997 and 2010 Big XII Conference Champion Texas A&M Aggies). Apologies, and carry on....

Closer to home, see Carolina handing out rings for a division championship that their team wasn't even eligible for because of NCAA violations. That's bold, mighty bold... and almost perfectly ignorant. It's... The Carolina Way.

SoCalDukeFan
11-18-2013, 11:19 PM

Trap game.

SoCal

brevity
11-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Trap game.

SoCal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko-Yj6ZL9qE

(Because Admiral Ackbar on a message board is so last century.)

Bob Green
11-19-2013, 04:51 AM
Trap game.

SoCal

I agree with you; however, the team seems much too focused to fall into a trap. The staff and team captains will keep everyone on point this week.

Wake NG Nikita Whitlock is a beast so what strategy does the team employ? Run at him or away from him? Either way, we will have to double team him every play.

Bob Green
11-22-2013, 05:24 AM
It will be interesting to see what game plan the staff comes up with after our 358 yards rushing performance against Miami. Jela Duncan remains the team's leading rusher with 485 yards (5.3 yards per attempt) with Josh Snead right behind him at 480 yards (7.1 yards per attempt). The team has scored 23 rushing touchdowns and 18 passing touchdowns.

While I desire to see maximum touches for wide receiver Jamison Crowder because he will be the most explosive player on the field tomorrow, those touches must be set-up by the running game. Crowder is averaging 10.4 yards per carry himself so I wouldn't mind seeing him run the jet sweep again or perhaps an end around or reverse.

When you add in Shaquille Powell (5.8 yards per attempt), Juwan Thompson (5.0 yards per attempt) and two quarterbacks with the ability to run the ball, it becomes obvious Duke is a formidable run team so let's go out and dominate Wake's defense by pounding away at them with the running game.

duke09hms
11-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Yeah I'm nervous for tomorrow's game as well. Wake Forest seems to have a strong defense. Their NT Nikita Whitlock is a beast, but our run game doesn't seem to run off-center too much with more off-tackle runs. Hopefully we can get a steady ground game going and hit them with play-actions over the top to Jamison Crowder.

Acymetric
11-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Just got my ticket, what is the tailgating scene looking like for this game? Any recommendations for which lot to park in?

roywhite
11-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Just got my ticket, what is the tailgating scene looking like for this game? Any recommendations for which lot to park in?

Not going to the game, but as a Winston-Salem area resident, I should tell you that the personnel handling traffic at Wake games often seems inept and slow. Give yourself a little extra time.

loran16
11-22-2013, 09:48 AM

I know when I went back in 09 to BB&T for the game, we just parked in one of the ball lots - Wake didn't even have any fences or anything keeping cars out or ensuring charges for parking.

-----

I'm also very nervous for this game. Wake's D is definitely solid and the run game won't be as successful as against Miami. Any QB mistakes - ala NC State - will be very dangerous.

Bob Green
11-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Wake's D is definitely solid and the run game won't be as successful as against Miami.

I sure no one is expecting another 358 rushing yards; however, we did rush for 123 yards and four touchdowns in last year's win so I still maintain the path to success starts with the ground game.

Henderson
11-22-2013, 10:18 AM
As of Friday morning, Duke was a 5.5 - 6.0 favorite here in Vegas.

loran16
11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
I sure no one is expecting another 358 rushing yards; however, we did rush for 123 yards and four touchdowns in last year's win so I still maintain the path to success starts with the ground game.

Well I meant not to expect another 200 yard + game.

Amusing note...Wake blog Blogger so Dear has their preview up: http://www.bloggersodear.com/2013/11/22/5125582/preview-wake-forest-duke-football-acc-coastal-division-blue-devils-demon-deacons-cutcliffe. This is the second straight week an opposing preview of our D has completely ignored Ross Cockrell.

Bob Green
11-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Well I meant not to expect another 200 yard + game.

I will agree with you there. We average ~ 185 yards so that is the best over/under.

devildeac
11-22-2013, 03:00 PM
I will agree with you there. We average ~ 185 yards so that is the best over/under.

As Josh Snead quoted Cut after the Miami game, I too hope we can "call it and haul it." :D

Bob Green
11-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Game previews showing up in all the usual places:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/11/duke-at-wake-forest-preview/

Look for Duke’s young secondary to add to their growing total of interceptions, as Tanner Price and his young receivers again struggle without their star senior.

http://duke.scout.com/2/1349460.html

Blue Devil WR Jamison Crowder versus those Wake Forest corners will be one of the better games-within-the-game of the afternoon. Crowder has next-level talent, lagging behind only Clemson’s Sammy Watkins in ACC receiving yards.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/11/20/4482477/duke-puts-streak-on-the-line-against.html#.Uo-52uI4uSp

Someone different has stepped up every game this season to make plays that have helped Duke's cause. Last weekend it was quarterback Brandon Connette, who matched a school record with four rushing touchdowns and in the process, became the school's all-time leader in the category (29). He also threw a touchdown pass in the win.

http://www.foxsportscarolinas.com/collegefootball/acc-conference/story/ACC-Previews-Duke-controls-Coastal-warm-?blockID=964757&feedID=3894

Wake Forest (4-6, 2-5) under Jim Grobe has always been a tough out, and with a week off to reassess the offense without star receiver Michael Campanaro, the Demon Deacons are going to be a formidable opponent for Duke this week.

I'm anxiously anticipating a good football game where Duke has a solid opportunity to secure their ninth win on the season. It will not be easy as Wake Forest will be motivated to hang on to their slim bowl eligibility hopes. Without resorting to listing the obvious things such as turnovers, penalties and in game injuries, here are my Duke centric keys to the game:

1. Duke must survive a punch-in-the-mouth from Wake Forest! I expect the Demon Deacons to play inspired and create some success, so how Duke responds to in game adversity will be critical to the final outcome.
2. Duke must contain Wake's star players. The Blue Devils are more talented than the Demon Deacons, but Wake has very talented players on both sides of the ball such as QB Tanner Price, NG Nikita Whitlock and RB Josh Harris. Duke cannot allow one star player to lead Wake Forest to victory with a career day.
3. Duke must be methodical on offense. Duke has a lot of weapons with multiple ways to employ those weapons. This is not a game to try and do too much or to get cute. Duke will be best served by formulating and executing a straight forward game plan which emphasizes running and passing.

wilson
11-22-2013, 03:55 PM
As Josh Snead quoted Cut after the Miami game, I too hope we can "call it and haul it." :DThis, to me, was one of the most impressive things about the Miami victory. Cut and the boys basically didn't even try to disguise the fact that we were going to try to run the ball right at Miami throughout the second half, and the 'Canes couldn't stop it anyway.
I think this bodes well for Wake and beyond. The Deacs do have a respectable defense, but they won't have the bodies or talent up front that Miami has.
Looking further into the future, I love this new ability to play a ball control type of offensive game plan. While we've got the best talent right now that we've had in a loooong time, we're not generally going to be overwhelming people with athleticism week in and week out. Grind-and-pound is a nice way to maximize our abilities and minimize whatever shortcomings we may possess.

Bob Green
11-22-2013, 03:57 PM
This is the second straight week an opposing preview of our D has completely ignored Ross Cockrell.

Unfortunately, QB Tanner Price and the Wake coaching staff are not going to ignore Cockrell. They will know where he is at all the time. This is not necessarily a bad thing as the requirement to pay total attention to Cockrell diminishes the opponent's ability to focus on our other secondary players who have proven themselves over the past several weeks.

davekay1971
11-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Unfortunately, QB Tanner Price and the Wake coaching staff are not going to ignore Cockrell. They will know where he is at all the time. This is not necessarily a bad thing as the requirement to pay total attention to Cockrell diminishes the opponent's ability to focus on our other secondary players who have proven themselves over the past several weeks.

The lack of mention of Cockrell is definitely surprising, but I take home two points about it:

1) Hopefully Cockrell notes his lack of mention and is ticked.
2) Our defense has enough playmakers now that Cockrell may actually get overlooked. How awesome is that?

nyesq83
11-22-2013, 07:41 PM
I suspect that Ross will be tested by the Wake offense early since he was gimpy at the end of the Miami game.

orrnot
11-23-2013, 12:04 AM
As Josh Snead quoted Cut after the Miami game, I too hope we can "call it and haul it." :D

Minor Quibble--I think it was Kurt Roper whom Snead was quoting.

Reilly
11-23-2013, 07:51 AM
We win today, and we have a share of the ACC Coastal Division Championship.

Win = Champions.

"Live your life like a champion." - Duke FB weight room rule #1.

"We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire."

"Does Duke play football? You're damn right we play football."

"Duke Football? Hell yes it's Duke Football."

OldPhiKap
11-23-2013, 08:53 AM
We win today, and we have a share of the ACC Coastal Division Championship.

Win = Champions.

"Live your life like a champion." - Duke FB weight room rule #1.

"We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire."

"Does Duke play football? You're damn right we play football."

"Duke Football? Hell yes it's Duke Football."

Game Day! GO DUKE!!!!

dukebballcamper90-91
11-23-2013, 09:03 AM
rise and shine, it's blue devil football time!!!!!

Let's go duke!!!!

Bob Green
11-23-2013, 09:31 AM

mike88
11-23-2013, 11:11 AM
I am expecting a close game today. Duke has more talent than WF, but its Senior Day for the Deacs, and they are still playing for bowl eligibility, so I think we will see a WF team that plays above its talent level. Jim Grobe is a great coach, and he has had an off-week to plan for this rivalry game, so I expect they will have prepared well for some of the things that have been working for us on offense, especially in the running game.

To me, the keys are:

1. Limit turnovers

2. Throw the ball effectively downfield- to keep WF from putting 8 in the box and stopping our running game.

3. Continue our defensive success, particularly in the red zone.

-jk
11-23-2013, 11:53 AM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open for the Wake game. Let's go Duke! Beat the Deacs!

-jk

jimsumner
11-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Tiny crowd so far. Maybe late arriving.

Weather fine so far; even some blue skies.

Acymetric
11-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Can't believe the sparse crowd...last time I was here (with cb&b no less) it was like a can of sardines! Still, lots of Duke blue...LETS GO DUKE!!!

GGLC
11-23-2013, 12:23 PM
What a terrible call by the refs there. His knee was clearly down.

ChrisP
11-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Blakeney frustrates the heck out of me! Looked like he could have basically fallen forward for the 1st fairly easily, but then he decided to fight for more yards, gets stripped and Wake scoops & scores. Horrible call, btw. Can't believe that wasn't overturned on replay!!!

Gthoma2a
11-23-2013, 12:25 PM
I can only conclude that the refs can't figure out how to use the instant replay booth. That was pretty clear.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-23-2013, 12:27 PM
The ruling on the field stands? That's inexplicable. There is no way anyone can look at that video and not see that both his knee and elbow were down before the ball came out. I mean, it was his elbow going down that caused the ball to come out. That's killer.

uh_no
11-23-2013, 12:27 PM
I can only conclude that the refs can't figure out how to use the instant replay booth. That was pretty clear.

both in college and the NFL refs are unable to understand the concept of lining up two video feeds at the same time....so many times you hear "you couldn't see his knee and the ball at the same time"

jeez this isn't the 1950's...line up the two shots and see where the ball is when his knee hits the ground

uh_no
11-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Blakeney frustrates the heck out of me! Looked like he could have basically fallen forward for the 1st fairly easily, but then he decided to fight for more yards, gets stripped and Wake scoops & scores. Horrible call, btw. Can't believe that wasn't overturned on replay!!!

i was screaming at the tv....two plays on that drive receivers dropped the ball as they were tackled....combined with two bad punts.....ugh

grossbus
11-23-2013, 12:29 PM
The "good" Duke team better show up soon. Brink of disaster.

uh_no
11-23-2013, 12:31 PM
The "good" Duke team better show up soon. Brink of disaster.

4 minutes left in the 1st quarter down 7? not sure i'd call the game lost just yet...

Gthoma2a
11-23-2013, 12:34 PM
That knee looks bad. Don't think we'll see him again. If they want to call it evenly, they may as well give us the fumble and let us run with it there. They did it for them.

We've got to pick it up. Down 14-0 is not where we want to be.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-23-2013, 12:36 PM
I need Duke to win now so that horrendous call doesn't ruin my day. That was alarmingly incompetent. Blakeney should've had a first down on that play if he'd just run up field, but he didn't fumble...and I'm supremely confident we could've picked up a 4th and less than a yard...we've been doing it all year. Besides Will Monday, the team has played fine for the most part. But we're still in danger of going down two TDs.

dukelifer
11-23-2013, 12:37 PM
4 minutes left in the 1st quarter down 7? not sure i'd call the game lost just yet...

About to go down by 10 or 14. Wake is gaining confidence.

DBFAN
11-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Right now this team is getting it handed to them. Doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency. I know it change but if you get down by 2 TD's it just makes it that much harder

75Crazie
11-23-2013, 12:42 PM
This is a classic trap game, and we have fallen into the trap.

arnie
11-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Often wonder why fans love replays. That was clearly not a fumble! We have a lot of work to so now

Mabdul Doobakus
11-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Hardly the first time we've been down early. Still a lot of time left.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-23-2013, 12:50 PM
A lot of flags the last two weeks being thrown for no apparent reason. Another 3 and out.

Wow, this crew is pretty incompetent.

davekay1971
11-23-2013, 12:50 PM
We're playing tentatively. Wake is the aggressor. I hate playing at Wake.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Pretty sure we got away with a facemask on that kick return.

dukelifer
11-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Need to play good D here to get good field position.

dukelifer
11-23-2013, 12:53 PM
We're playing tentatively. Wake is the aggressor. I hate playing at Wake.

Duke is not used to being the hunted.

CDu
11-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Wow. That is a horrible call! Knee was down. Elbow hit the ground. THEN the ball comes out. I'm not sure how in the world they didn't see that as evidence to overturn.

throatybeard
11-23-2013, 12:54 PM
On the plus side, Wake Forest's white helmets look awful with their uniforms.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Wow. That is a horrible call! Knee was down. Elbow hit the ground. THEN the ball comes out. I'm not sure how in the world they didn't see that as evidence to overturn.

Ha. Welcome to 30 minutes ago, but a hundred times yes. I still cannot imagine.

uh_no
11-23-2013, 12:59 PM
it's at about this time the short stuff needs to go out the window for looking downfield...i know some here love the short stuff/run to open up the deep stuff...but when that doesn't work you gotta react...

dukelifer
11-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Duke is really struggling. Running game is not there today.

Dukehky
11-23-2013, 01:01 PM
I just want to get into half-time down no more than 14 so that Cut can give these kids a talking to.

I know Cut has switched to this 2 qb system, but I thought Boone was doing well and took him completely out of rhythm when they put Connette in. That's the issue with this type of system. Sometimes it works, sometimes it hurts. Now that I said this BC will probably go nuts with his arm. We can run outside on these cats, stop running right at their strenth, the D line.

DevilWearsPrada
11-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Duke Needs to "Wake Up" and get into the game!!! Defense get stops and make big plays!!!! And Offense needs to get going and push through Wake's D !

Let's Go Duke!

davekay1971
11-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Defense is stepping up again. We need to take advantage of this short field

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-23-2013, 01:04 PM
I just want to get into half-time down no more than 14 so that Cut can give these kids a talking to.

I know Cut has switched to this 2 qb system, but I thought Boone was doing well and took him completely out of rhythm when they put Connette in. That's the issue with this type of system. Sometimes it works, sometimes it hurts. Now that I said this BC will probably go nuts with his arm. We can run outside on these cats, stop running right at their strenth, the D line.
Shouldn't have to wait for halftime to make adjustments. Gotta happen on the fly. Anemic O. C'mon!

CDu
11-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Ha. Welcome to 30 minutes ago, but a hundred times yes. I still cannot imagine.

Watching on DVR. Just trying to catch up!

DBFAN
11-23-2013, 01:08 PM
That is much much better

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Nice pick from the ref!

davekay1971
11-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Better. Let's get a defensive stop and try to even this thing up before halftime!

dukelifer
11-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Defense is stepping up again. We need to take advantage of this short field

Nice job this time. A little more energy on the last drive.

Dukehky
11-23-2013, 01:11 PM
That's what I'm talking about!!!! Lets get a stop here. I like putting Boone on the move a little bit, run pass option when he's out of the tackle box and it negates their best player and their defensive strength.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Sun's out...!

dukelifer
11-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Definitely playing better

davekay1971
11-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Glad Cut listened to me. Ingenious idea I had to get a stop then tie it up. I take full credit.

uh_no
11-23-2013, 01:24 PM
i believe boone is 24-29 with 0 ints since the two drops to start the miami game

a) thank goodness we have two awesome QBs who can pick eachother up
b) thank goodness boone has found his mojo again

davekay1971
11-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Go Richmond Spiders. Hanging close to the Holes in the second half...

Mabdul Doobakus
11-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Glad Cut listened to me. Ingenious idea I had to get a stop then tie it up. I take full credit.

I am very impressed. Would love to get your thoughts on the second half.

throatybeard
11-23-2013, 01:31 PM
My four year old son just pointed to Cutcliffe and said "there's the Duke blue manager guy."

#thisisabaseballtown

I'm wondering what the visual was that he noticed, the headset I suppose.

uh_no
11-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Go Richmond Spiders. Hanging close to the Holes in the second half...

good timing for halftime :)

CDu
11-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Whew! Finally caught up. This game should be at least 14-7, if not more in favor of Duke. Let's hope that atrocious call on the fumble-TD doesn't end up costing us.

uh_no
11-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Whew! Finally caught up. This game should be at least 14-7, if not more in favor of Duke. Let's hope that atrocious call on the fumble-TD doesn't end up costing us.

yeah it was a bad call, but as a receiver, you can't even open yourself up to the possibility. two receivers dropped balls as they got tackled on the same drive....that CAN'T happen. hold on to the ball, guys!

uh_no
11-23-2013, 01:57 PM
yeesh...their QB is their leading rusher....you figure after the first 11 times he ran it we might look for it....

DBFAN
11-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Guess it's the defense's turn to come out unfocused

dukelifer
11-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Guess it's the defense's turn to come out unfocused

A bit too easy

FerryFor50
11-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Yea, Connette should totally start over Boone..

davekay1971
11-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Boy I remember the last time we got into a crazy shoot out at Wake...oh, wait, that didn't turn out well. Go defense!

jwillfan
11-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Amazing strike to Crowder and amazing catch. Wake defender couldn't stop tickling him in the end zone :cool:

C'mon D - your turn!

uh_no
11-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Yea, Connette should totally start over Boone..

not sure if you meant to be sarcastic, but boone has had a couple off weeks, and connette is off today. I'm glad we have both, and don't think we beat miami without both, for sure. jsut the fact that opponents need to prep for 2 really different QBs is a HUGE asset!

That said, I stick by my guns that we start with boone and move to connette regularly during the game...because when boone is on, he's one of the best QBs in the ACC...and he's been quite on for 2 weeks now. glad they can pick eachother up when necessary.

davekay1971
11-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Amazing strike to Crowder and amazing catch. Wake defender couldn't stop tickling him in the end zone :cool:

C'mon D - your turn!

Good D. Take advantage and take the lead!

davekay1971
11-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Yes! Connette is unstoppable at the goal line this year. How did he do that standing up?

jwillfan
11-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Good D. Take advantage and take the lead!

Boom!

FerryFor50
11-23-2013, 02:21 PM
not sure if you meant to be sarcastic, but boone has had a couple off weeks, and connette is off today. I'm glad we have both, and don't think we beat miami without both, for sure. jsut the fact that opponents need to prep for 2 really different QBs is a HUGE asset!

That said, I stick by my guns that we start with boone and move to connette regularly during the game...because when boone is on, he's one of the best QBs in the ACC...and he's been quite on for 2 weeks now. glad they can pick eachother up when necessary.

Yes, was being sarcastic. :) I posted right after the beautiful TD bomb to Crowder.

I'm with you - Boone should start and Connette should spell him. I just thought it was silly that people always thought Connette should start.

arnie
11-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Boom!

We are a stronger team. Now finish it.

PDDuke85
11-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Love me some blitz

uh_no
11-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Love me some blitz

second time today we've sacked them out of field goal range

uh_no