PDA

View Full Version : All-ACC Football 2013

mike88
11-17-2013, 07:54 PM
While we still have plenty of football to play, several Duke players are making a case for All-ACC honors. I expect to see Ross Cockrell and Jamison Crowder on the first team; maybe Ross Martin, too? Dave Harding, Jeremy Cash, and Kelby Brown should have a shot if they continue their strong play. Brandon Connette deserves recognition too, but the QB position is pretty loaded. Any others?

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2013, 08:06 PM
While we still have plenty of football to play, several Duke players are making a case for All-ACC honors. I expect to see Ross Cockrell and Jamison Crowder on the first team; maybe Ross Martin, too? Dave Harding, Jeremy Cash, and Kelby Brown should have a shot if they continue their strong play. Brandon Connette deserves recognition too, but the QB position is pretty loaded. Any others?
How about DeVon Edwards, Deondre Singleton maybe Breon Borders? Our M&Ms continue to be pretty good... Martin and Monday.

jimsumner
11-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Keep in mind that there are 14 teams in the ACC. That's a lot of players. And FSU and Clemson likely will absorb a lot of spots.

Expecting any of the freshmen DBs to get major consideration is highly unrealistic, IMO.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Keep in mind that there are 14 teams in the ACC. That's a lot of players. And FSU and Clemson likely will absorb a lot of spots.

Expecting any of the freshmen DBs to get major consideration is highly unrealistic, IMO.
That's true... but if they continue on the current trajectory, their names may be in the conversation next year. I'm just happy to see so many names associated with Duke MIGHT be considered!

loran16
11-18-2013, 09:36 AM
That's true... but if they continue on the current trajectory, their names may be in the conversation next year. I'm just happy to see so many names associated with Duke MIGHT be considered!

It's very unlikely, you need to be a clear star to be included.

Our All ACC reps last year were Cockrell and Monday first team, Canty and Vernon second team. Cockrell's near a lock to make first team again, and I could see Jeremy Cash sneaking on to second team. Monday probably isn't making it, although Ross Martin might make 2nd team.

Oh and Jamison Crowder is probably at least 2nd team.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-18-2013, 10:15 AM

Our All ACC reps last year were Cockrell and Monday first team, Canty and Vernon second team. Cockrell's near a lock to make first team again, and I could see Jeremy Cash sneaking on to second team. Monday probably isn't making it, although Ross Martin might make 2nd team.

Faced with a choice between a highly analytical negative view and pursuing a dream, I'll choose the dream every time. If our players bought into negative analysis brought up so often, the team would still be in the cellar.

airowe
11-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Breon Borders is going to make it real tough to leave him off.

Individual Passing Defense Stats (http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/821/player/split01/category23/sort04.html)

loran16
11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Breon Borders is going to make it real tough to leave him off.

Individual Passing Defense Stats (http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/821/player/split01/category23/sort04.html)

He just doesn't have the name yet to get that honor (it doesn't help that Edwards made the headlines last week).

PS: I always hate passes defended as a stat - can you give me passes defended out of total passes thrown your way? At least one of our last two opponents (State I think) was throwing at Borders CONSTANTLY.

mike88
11-18-2013, 11:23 AM

I am hoping Jamison can make first team based on his punt returning skills in addition to his receiving, but he should at least get second team. It would be great if one of our offensive linemen would be honored, as they have been a big strength (literally) for us all year. But I agree the large number of teams and small number of total spots makes All-ACC a pretty high bar . . .

loran16
11-18-2013, 11:43 AM
I am hoping Jamison can make first team based on his punt returning skills in addition to his receiving, but he should at least get second team. It would be great if one of our offensive linemen would be honored, as they have been a big strength (literally) for us all year. But I agree the large number of teams and small number of total spots makes All-ACC a pretty high bar . . .

WR is a CROWDED position (ignoring FSU and Miami and Pitt's star WRs, you also have stars like Campanaro). Last year Vernon only got 2nd team and Crowder is basically the same, even with the punt returns.

A lot easier to make it at a DB position (Cockrell) than at WR or RB or even linemen.

Bob Green
11-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I am hoping Jamison can make first team based on his punt returning skills in addition to his receiving, but he should at least get second team.

That's a good point as Crowder returned two against Miami for 35 and 25 yards and came real close to breaking free on both. I'm hoping he takes another one to the house before the season is over.

Dev11
11-18-2013, 11:56 AM
WR is a CROWDED position (ignoring FSU and Miami and Pitt's star WRs, you also have stars like Campanaro). Last year Vernon only got 2nd team and Crowder is basically the same, even with the punt returns.

A lot easier to make it at a DB position (Cockrell) than at WR or RB or even linemen.

Campanaro is going to miss all of November. I doubt that he gets a 1st team nod over Jamison, although there are plenty of other ACC receivers.

I'd look for Cockrell, Cash, Crowder, Simmons, Anunike, Kelby, Martin, and Monday to all get consideration. Brandon Connette would be first team phantom if such an award existed. Are there top freshman awards?

Duvall
11-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Campanaro is going to miss all of November. I doubt that he gets a 1st team nod over Jamison, although there are plenty of other ACC receivers.

I'd look for Cockrell, Cash, Crowder, Simmons, Anunike, Kelby, Martin, and Monday to all get consideration. Brandon Connette would be first team phantom if such an award existed. Are there top freshman awards?

There's an offensive and defensive rookie of the year award. Think the first one may be taken.

Here's a question that was being kicked around during Saturday's game - who has been the third-best QB in the ACC this year? Hard to make an argument for anyone *other* than Connette.