PDA

View Full Version : Duke football enters the polls!

loran16
11-17-2013, 12:10 PM
#25 in ap and # 24 in the coaches poll!

uh_no
11-17-2013, 12:13 PM

mmmm getting respect!

OldPhiKap
11-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Not bad for a team these same experts picked to finish last in the division.

Keep making them eat crow, Devils!

53n206
11-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Now we're going to hear about the Texas and USC potential coaching jobs. Delicious!!

uh_no
11-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Now we're going to hear about the Texas and USC potential coaching jobs. Delicious!!

haha....it's hilarious though....he didn't leave for TEnnessee, he's not leaving for anywhere....that would be like Johnny Dawkins turning down Duke and then coaching at Kentucky....not going to happen...

bbosbbos
11-17-2013, 12:34 PM
oh yes, love that

matt1
11-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Does anyone know about the Harris Poll? It could be big for whether or not we make the BCS rankings.

bob blue devil
11-17-2013, 12:36 PM
congrats to Coach Cut and the team. not only are they ranked, but it is well earned and clearly deserved.

nyesq83
11-17-2013, 12:43 PM
congrats to Coach Cut and the team. not only are they ranked, but it is well earned and clearly deserved.

During yesterday's Devil Walk, I shook Coach Cut's hand (awkwardly) - I knew then that we were going to win!

Excelsior! This team is hungry! They are a good team aiming for greatness.

brevity
11-17-2013, 12:46 PM

I would have guessed #24 in the coaches poll, but with USC leapfrogging to #23 and Minnesota staying at #25. The fact that it went Minnesota-Duke-USC (the same order, vote-wise, as last week) demonstrates that the coaches really are incredibly lazy.

With that pathetic linear thinking in mind, Duke has a chance to move upward next week. #23 Minnesota hosts #17 Wisconsin. #22 Arizona State travels to #14 UCLA. #21 Northern Illinois travels to 7-3 Toledo. #19 LSU hosts #10 Texas A&M. #18 Oklahoma travels to 6-4 Kansas State. (#20 Central Florida and #16 Fresno State have home games against weaker opponents.) If Duke takes care of business against Wake Forest, they should move ahead of the Minnesota-Wisconsin loser, at the very least.

NovaScotian
11-17-2013, 01:14 PM
does anyone know the last time we were ranked in either of the polls?

DevilWearsPrada
11-17-2013, 01:35 PM

Great question! Many years ago!

Congratulations to Coach Cut, Football Coaching Staff, Football Team...... and to all of the Duke fans in Wallace Wade Stadium yesterday! The dedicated Fans going to the games, year after year, The Duke Students and Duke Marching Band and Duke Cheerleaders for making WWade an ELECTRIC atmosphere! More so, than the atmosphere from the Unc game last Oct 2012.

Coach Cut, Staff, and Team as so deserving of a great winning season! This team knows how to Finish!

DUKE FOOTBALL.........NO FEAR !!!

DUKE FOOTBALL......... RESTORED!

loran16
11-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know about the Harris Poll? It could be big for whether or not we make the BCS rankings.

Releases usually at 3

Native
11-17-2013, 01:47 PM

1994?

davekay1971
11-17-2013, 02:03 PM
1994?

Yes, in 1994 we entered the Top 25 shortly before Florida State happened. One of the 'Noles (I believe it was Warrick Dunn) congratulated out schedule maker after FSU smacked us down. The highest that Duke team was ranked was #13.

Duke bounced back to beat a good UVA team and then lost by 1 point each to NCSU and UNC after that. The 1994 squad was 2 field goals away from a 10-1 regular season.

CameronBlue
11-17-2013, 02:10 PM
During yesterday's Devil Walk, I shook Coach Cut's hand (awkwardly) - I knew then that we were going to win!

You are forbidden from washing your hand until after the bowl season concludes. If you're a priest you may want to find a substitute for communion Sundays.

Newton_14
11-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Thanks for sharing Loran. It was darn well earned too, especially with the wins over Vatech on the road, and then the convincing win last night over Miami. I cannot believe how well our defense is playing against better teams. Even though they gave up a ton of yards last night, the minimized the damage all night long with big plays in the redzone. The defense has just been really solid, given how bad they were the last two years. This is just a solid FB team.

What's amazing is how the staff totally revamped the offense this week to focus heavily on the run, rotate the QB's often, in a set pattern that worked to perfection, and dialed the passing game way back to help keep the risk of interceptions way down. I still cant get over how well the offense executed last night playing so differently, scheme wise than they had in all the previous game.

Amazingly well coached FB game.

Let's go get two more regular season wins and see what happens from there!

devildeac
11-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Duke #25 in the AP poll, right behind (heh-heh) Ole Miss. How ironic.

OldPhiKap
11-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Duke #25 in the AP poll, right behind (heh-heh) Ole Miss. How ironic.

That has Music City Bowl written all over it.

(Or chic-fil-a if things fell the right way)

Reilly
11-17-2013, 03:42 PM
We were ranked in 8 AP polls in 1994 per this:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/duke/1994-schedule.html

I want to be ranked in the *final* poll this year ... we haven't done that since 1961 (AP) and 1962 (coaches'):

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/acc/duke/in_the_polls.php

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2013, 03:59 PM
That has Music City Bowl written all over it.

(Or chic-fil-a if things fell the right way)

I rather liked the way the Orange Bowl rep told me how much they want Duke.

OldPhiKap
11-17-2013, 04:29 PM
I rather liked the way the Orange Bowl rep told me how much they want Duke.

I cannot think of a better ambassador to the Orange Bowl than DiBD. Ordering my tickets now!

In all seriousness, Duke is probably the feel good story of the year. We play an exciting style. While we would have to win out to get the Orange, if we play well the next two/three games we should be an attractive selection to anyone.

devildeac
11-17-2013, 04:39 PM
I cannot think of a better ambassador to the Orange Bowl than DiBD. Ordering my tickets now!

In all seriousness, Duke is probably the feel good story of the year. We play an exciting style. While we would have to win out to get the Orange, if we play well the next two/three games we should be an attractive selection to anyone.

Beat the Deacs. Then, prepare for the next one.

OldPhiKap
11-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Beat the Deacs. Then, prepare for the next one.

Yeah, we owe them a few.

I have been impressed at how much poise our team has shown, despite this being new territory for our guys. Cut and crew are doing a very skillful job keeping everyone focused.

weezie
11-17-2013, 04:56 PM
All true but I'm gloating for a few seconds. Duke University, epicenter of college sports these past few days.
Pinch me!

weezie
11-17-2013, 04:57 PM
I cannot think of a better ambassador to the Orange Bowl than DiBD.

Seconded and passed. DitBD, please don your sash and pack your suitcase.

loran16
11-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Duke enters the Harris poll at 24 so were 24 in the two bcs polls.

moonpie23
11-17-2013, 06:23 PM
congrats to the team, staff and coach Cut……changing the culture sounds pretty nice right now…

Thanks for sticking with us, coach….

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-17-2013, 07:49 PM
When was the last time Duke football was ranked and UNC basketball was not?

Just checking, in case...

DukeHLM'13
11-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Missed out on getting ranked in the BCS standings for the first time this week. A little bit disappointing, but a strong performance against Wake next weekend will give us another shot to break in.

loran16
11-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Missed out on getting ranked in the BCS standings for the first time this week. A little bit disappointing, but a strong performance against Wake next weekend will give us another shot to break in.

Ole Miss took our spot - the computers have them in the mid teens. Should Duke win next week, and the likely teams around us lose, Duke is likely to move up in the polls 1-3 spots and thus would be in based upon the polls, even despite not being T25 in the computers.

Olympic Fan
11-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Ole Miss took our spot - the computers have them in the mid teens. Should Duke win next week, and the likely teams around us lose, Duke is likely to move up in the polls 1-3 spots and thus would be in based upon the polls, even despite not being T25 in the computers.

Actually, Ole Miss only makes one top 25 (No. 23 in the Colley Matrix) ... they are No. 28 composite in the computer rankings. They are exactly the same as Duke in the polls -- Duke is No. 24 in both polls; Ole Miss is No. 23 in the Coaches Poll and No 25 in the Harris Poll.

I saw the expanded BCS standings, but it doesn't go beyond 25. However, I think a win next week puts Duke in the BCS ranking -- No. 24 Minnesota is a big underdog to Minnesota; No. 25 Ole Miss is a big underdog to Missouri. If Duke beats Wake, I have little doubt they crack the BCS top 25.

AncientPsychicT
11-18-2013, 01:37 AM
Actually, Ole Miss only makes one top 25 (No. 23 in the Colley Matrix) ... they are No. 28 composite in the computer rankings. They are exactly the same as Duke in the polls -- Duke is No. 24 in both polls; Ole Miss is No. 23 in the Coaches Poll and No 25 in the Harris Poll.

I saw the expanded BCS standings, but it doesn't go beyond 25. However, I think a win next week puts Duke in the BCS ranking -- No. 24 Minnesota is a big underdog to Minnesota; No. 25 Ole Miss is a big underdog to Missouri. If Duke beats Wake, I have little doubt they crack the BCS top 25.

I assume you mean Wisconsin :D

I was going to make a snarky joke about Minnesota being its own worst enemy, but after doing some research, Minnesota is actually pretty careful with the ball. (http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/428/turnovermargin/split.html) For comparison, here are our stats. (http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/193/turnovermargin/split.html)

Duke football: 8-2 with a turnover margin of only +1? I'll take it! :cool:

loran16
11-18-2013, 06:38 AM

You're misreading. Ole miss is not ranked by either poll: Minnesota is 23 and 25

Wander
11-18-2013, 08:20 AM

Incorrect - Ole Miss is ranked by every computer poll in the top 25.

You can also see the expanded BCS standings beyond 25, it just doesn't officially count as being ranked - Duke is just outside at 26th. Computer rankings are 27, 22, 25, 28, 27, and 28.

Auburn is an interesting case to me. Based on the computer rankings, it looks to me like they're very realistically in the BCS championship race - if they beat Alabama and then Missouri in the SEC title game, they could pass an undefeated Ohio State team (they'd probably need Baylor or FSU to lose a game to get in the top 2 though).

Olympic Fan
11-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Incorrect - Ole Miss is ranked by every computer poll in the top 25.

You can also see the expanded BCS standings beyond 25, it just doesn't officially count as being ranked - Duke is just outside at 26th. Computer rankings are 27, 22, 25, 28, 27, and 28.

Auburn is an interesting case to me. Based on the computer rankings, it looks to me like they're very realistically in the BCS championship race - if they beat Alabama and then Missouri in the SEC title game, they could pass an undefeated Ohio State team (they'd probably need Baylor or FSU to lose a game to get in the top 2 though).

You are right ... I flipped Minnesota and Ole Miss in my mind. It's No. 25 Minnesota that is No. 28 in the composite ...with just one top 25 ranking.

My main point stands -- if Duke wins at Wake, the Devils will almost certainly move into the rankings -- No. 24 Ole Miss (vs. Missouri) and No. 25 Minnesota (Wisconsin) face killer games

BD80
11-18-2013, 02:47 PM
We were ranked in 8 AP polls in 1994 per this:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/duke/1994-schedule.html

I want to be ranked in the *final* poll this year ... we haven't done that since 1961 (AP) and 1962 (coaches'):

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/acc/duke/in_the_polls.php

Middle of November, Duke ranked in football, no Notre Dame, no Michigan, no Texas ...

brevity
11-24-2013, 01:15 AM
I would have guessed #24 in the coaches poll, but with USC leapfrogging to #23 and Minnesota staying at #25. The fact that it went Minnesota-Duke-USC (the same order, vote-wise, as last week) demonstrates that the coaches really are incredibly lazy.

With that pathetic linear thinking in mind, Duke has a chance to move upward next week. #23 Minnesota hosts #17 Wisconsin. #22 Arizona State travels to #14 UCLA. #21 Northern Illinois travels to 7-3 Toledo. #19 LSU hosts #10 Texas A&M. #18 Oklahoma travels to 6-4 Kansas State. (#20 Central Florida and #16 Fresno State have home games against weaker opponents.) If Duke takes care of business against Wake Forest, they should move ahead of the Minnesota-Wisconsin loser, at the very least.

Not a good week for upward mobility.

#23 Minnesota (these are coaches' poll rankings) did lose, but every other team ranked #15 or lower won. Sunday's poll with see very little movement. Minnesota will be replaced, probably by Cincinnati, and #4 Baylor, #5 Oregon, #10 Texas A&M, and #14 UCLA will drop, but not to Duke's advantage.

Duke will almost certainly move up one place to #23. I don't see #25 USC (who just beat 4-7 Colorado) making up a 16-vote deficit and jumping past Duke. I should mention Arizona, who crushed Oregon, but they're 7-4 and had no votes last week.

All that said, there is some good news with the BCS rankings. There we have #24 Ole Miss and #25 Minnesota, and both lost, opening up two slots. While it's still possible that Duke gets left out -- SOS and all that -- I have a hard time coming up with two teams that have a better shot of sneaking in.

BigWayne
11-24-2013, 01:58 AM
All that said, there is some good news with the BCS rankings. There we have #24 Ole Miss and #25 Minnesota, and both lost, opening up two slots. While it's still possible that Duke gets left out -- SOS and all that -- I have a hard time coming up with two teams that have a better shot of sneaking in.

We should pass both of them, but Ole Miss might stay in front of us based on the computer scores. The math for spots 20-25 of the BCS rankings is very weird because of the way they count the computer rankings.

towerview road
11-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Sigh. I don't get the polls. CBS has a predicted AP poll up and they have us at #23....they also have 8-3 teams in the top-25 (higher than us) without any wins over ranked teams....I don't get it! Why is Texas A&M so highly ranked, for example? Yes, they have "Johnny Football" but they haven't beaten a single ranked opponent in their 8-3 schedule. UCLA at #21 after losing to Arizona State?

Mabdul Doobakus
11-24-2013, 02:26 AM
I don't really care where we are in the 20's in the Coaches/AP polls, but it would be nice to get a BCS ranking since that's the one that is used in the media once that poll starts. I want to see a number next to our name next week.

bob blue devil
11-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Sigh. I don't get the polls. CBS has a predicted AP poll up and they have us at #23....they also have 8-3 teams in the top-25 (higher than us) without any wins over ranked teams....I don't get it! Why is Texas A&M so highly ranked, for example? Yes, they have "Johnny Football" but they haven't beaten a single ranked opponent in their 8-3 schedule. UCLA at #21 after losing to Arizona State?

ummm... I love your blue tinted glasses support for the football team, but I don't think the comparison to the Aggies is close. A&M's three losses are to (projected) #1 Alabama 49-42, and #4 Auburn 45-41, and #16 LSU 34-10. Duke's were to unranked Georgia Tech (6-5) 38-14 and Pitt (7-4) 58-55. Yeah, Duke beat VTech (7-4) and Miami (8-3), who happened to be ranked at the time, but neither has proven worthy of a ranking and are today not even in the conversation. I'd say A&M's wins over Ole Miss (was 7-4), and Vanderbilt (was 7-4) were at least somewhat comparable. Aside from those games, both teams have beaten mediocre to poor opponents.

UCLA is a little less obvious, but still they've lost to (projected) #9 Stanford, #12 Oregon, and #17 Arizona State. Meanwhile they've beaten decent Nebraska (8-3), Washington (7-4) and Arizona (7-4) teams. I find it hard to be up in arms about being a couple of slots lower than them in the rankings.

Reilly
11-24-2013, 08:01 AM
... would be nice to get a BCS ranking ....

Is there a website that ranks all of the 120-whatever FBS schools using the BCS criteria ... in other words, that shows the BCS standings (a bit at least) beyond the official top 25 of the BCS ...

davekay1971
11-24-2013, 08:26 AM
I just want to see us ranked NEXT Sunday.

NYBri
11-24-2013, 08:58 AM
I just want to see us ranked NEXT Sunday.

Yup. Just keep winning. Everything else will take care of itself.

GO DUKE.

Wander
11-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Is there a website that ranks all of the 120-whatever FBS schools using the BCS criteria ... in other words, that shows the BCS standings (a bit at least) beyond the official top 25 of the BCS ...

Yup - http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/bcs

Duke was 26th last week.

matt1
11-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Yup - http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/bcs

Duke was 26th last week.

And, we are projected 24th this week, but he does not yet know the human votes.

brevity
11-24-2013, 12:33 PM
The AP poll (http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll) is in. Right now it lists Louisiana-Lafayette at #21 -- they meant (https://twitter.com/AP_Top25) Louisville -- and has no #25. Which proves that people who are paid to write sports are functionally illiterate.

Anyway, Duke rose from #25 to #24. Notre Dame (which was #27) entered at #25.

jimsumner
11-24-2013, 12:38 PM
The AP poll (http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll) Which proves that people who are paid to write sports are functionally illiterate.

Whale, I wood be ofended if eye coud jus figger out the write words.

brevity
11-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Whale, I wood be ofended if eye coud jus figger out the write words.

Hey, at least you gave a quick response. Sigh. Sometimes I feel like I could save the world if I were hired as Mankind's Copy Editor.

Here is the USA Today Coaches Poll (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/11/24/usa-today-coaches-poll-week-13/3691475/). As I predicted, Minnesota was replaced by Cincinnati. As I did not predict, USC jumped over Duke into #23, while Duke stayed at #24. Let's hope Duke can still inch into the BCS rankings tonight.

wilson
11-24-2013, 12:55 PM
FWIW, so-called "BCS Expert" Jerry Palm has Duke at #24 in his latest projection (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/bcs) of the BCS standings.

jimsumner
11-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Hey, at least you gave a quick response. Sigh. Sometimes I feel like I could save the world if I were hired as Mankind's Copy Editor.

Here is the USA Today Coaches Poll (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/11/24/usa-today-coaches-poll-week-13/3691475/). As I predicted, Minnesota was replaced by Cincinnati. As I did not predict, USC jumped over Duke into #23, while Duke stayed at #24. Let's hope Duke can still inch into the BCS rankings tonight.

Thanks for the complement from you're end. Its always appreciated.

Okay, I'll stop now. But yes, I do sometimes lament the decline of basic literacy. I blame text messaging.

Potato Head
11-24-2013, 03:39 PM
I like Ed Orgeron as much as the next guy, but we should be ahead of USC. No problems being behind UCLA, though.

johnb
11-24-2013, 05:18 PM
The AP poll has a cluster of teams from 19-25: Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Louisville, South Carolina, UCLA, Texas A&M. And Duke. Excellent company in the world of college football.

matt1
11-24-2013, 05:26 PM
The AP poll has a cluster of teams from 19-25: Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Louisville, South Carolina, UCLA, Texas A&M. And Duke. Excellent company in the world of college football.

I guess you mixed up Southern Cal and South Carolina, as they are both USC. South Carolina is #10.

AP 19-25:

19. Texas A&M
20. Oklahoma
21. Louisville
22. UCLA
23. USC
24. Duke
25. Notre Dame

CameronBornAndBred
11-24-2013, 05:49 PM
I guess you mixed up Southern Cal and South Carolina, as they are both USC. South Carolina is #10.

AP 19-25:

19. Texas A&M
20. Oklahoma
21. Louisville
22. UCLA
23. USC
24. Duke
25. Notre Dame

One of the bowl projections (SB nation maybe?) has us in Atlanta....against USC...coached by Spurrier. How fun would that be?

CameronBlue
11-24-2013, 06:04 PM
If that happens I'm going to officially invite the ol Ball Coach to my tailgate. Hey coach, my cousin is a VP at Ping. you show up and I'll give you a new set of irons and a sure fire play to run on 4th and short inside your own 10.

Potato Head
11-24-2013, 06:15 PM
One of the bowl projections (SB nation maybe?) has us in Atlanta....against USC...coached by Spurrier. How fun would that be?

Do people here really call South Carolina USC? I'm from California, the center of the universe (in our minds), so this is all incredibly confusing to me.

CameronBornAndBred
11-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Do people here really call South Carolina USC? I'm from California, the center of the universe (in our minds), so this is all incredibly confusing to me.
Get your part of the state to actually secede, then you can be official.

OldPhiKap
11-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Not only that, but where I live when someone says "Carolina" they mean South, not North.

arnie
11-24-2013, 09:07 PM

Duke 24 in BCS and announcers made big deal over it. Right now Duke football better than Duke BBall.

moonpie23
11-24-2013, 09:16 PM
in South Carolina, the Gamecocks are referred to as "usc" and "carolina"………

not so much outside of the state….

hurleyfor3
11-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Not only that, but where I live when someone says "Carolina" they mean South, not North.

Well where *I* live UNC is in Greeley, not Chapel Hill. Even Google says so!

bleudiable
11-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Duke 24 in BCS and announcers made big deal over it. Right now Duke football better than Duke BBall.

I'm going to savor watching the crawls over all of the Thanksgiving/Friday games on the ESPN channels. Our boys are +5.5 on Saturday in Chappa Heeya; can they pull it off?

And let me restate your last statment: Currently the Duke football team is playing at its potential. Lord only knows what our basketball team would look like if they ever learn to play team defense like the youngsters in our secondary.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Up to #20 in the new AP!

loran16
12-01-2013, 01:06 PM
20 coaches as well

OldPhiKap
12-01-2013, 01:23 PM
20 coaches as well

So, using the S curve, us against FSU is basically a #1 v. #4/#5 seed. Hell, we can do that.

Go Duke!

Bob Green
12-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Up to #20 in the new AP!

For those of us with lots of gray in our hair, achieving #20 represents really being ranked! Exciting times...

loran16
12-01-2013, 02:42 PM
#20 Harris Poll as well. Likely where our BCS Ranking will be.

A few of the teams behind us (Texas for one) might lose next week, so a loss to FSU might not knock us out.

ForkFondler
12-01-2013, 02:46 PM
#20 Harris Poll as well. Likely where our BCS Ranking will be.

A few of the teams behind us (Texas for one) might lose next week, so a loss to FSU might not knock us out.

A single digit loss to FSU would probably improve our ranking.

DukeDevil
12-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Do BCS rankings go by highlander rules? When we take FSU down do we become number 1? ;)

Duke_92
12-01-2013, 03:32 PM
If we win the next two we should definitely finish in the top 8 or so. Granted that's easier said than done. But we really haven't been able to say that in a while.

wilko
12-01-2013, 07:10 PM
If we win the next two we should definitely finish in the top 8 or so. Granted that's easier said than done. But we really haven't been able to say that in a while.

While = my lifetime in the case of FB...
I'm still in the "happy to be here" phase of the afterglow.

I'm no where near feeling that greedy. Maybe I will if FSU shows up in the wrong city on Saturday....

miramar
12-01-2013, 07:17 PM
For those of us with lots of gray in our hair, achieving #20 represents really being ranked! Exciting times...

We should accentuate the positive and say that we still have some dark hair left. But no matter what it's amazing that Duke is ranked higher than Texas A & M, Texas, Georgia, USC, Notre Dame, and Miami.

How many people would have bet on that at the beginning of the season?

IBleedBlue
12-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Do BCS rankings go by highlander rules? When we take FSU down do we become number 1? ;)

I am torn about our next game. On one hand, I want Duke to continue their success and stun FSU. On the other hand, I don't want FSU to lose as that will reopen the door for Alabama to join the BCS-CG conversation. I am tired of seeing Alabama play in the championship game and hoist the crystal trophy. This country needs a new champion.

BD80
12-01-2013, 07:52 PM
We should accentuate the positive and say that we still have some dark hair left. But no matter what it's amazing that Duke is ranked higher than Texas A & M, Texas, Georgia, USC, Notre Dame, and Miami.

How many people would have bet on that at the beginning of the season?

And Michigan and USC (SoCal) and Nebraska and Penn State

Hair? I feel like I should remember hair. Little buggers didn't even have the good grace to stick around to get grey

OldPhiKap
12-01-2013, 08:35 PM
#20 in BCS!

Acymetric
12-01-2013, 09:58 PM
I am torn about our next game. On one hand, I want Duke to continue their success and stun FSU. On the other hand, I don't want FSU to lose as that will reopen the door for Alabama to join the BCS-CG conversation. I am tired of seeing Alabama play in the championship game and hoist the crystal trophy. This country needs a new champion.

I share your feelings on Alabama, and a part of me would love to see FSU represent the ACC in the BCS title game...but this is a time to be selfish. Screw all other storylines, I want this win for Duke! I don't care about the win's effect on any other team or conference including our own, if it resulted in an Alabama v. Alabama championship game that'd be just fine with me. This weekend is big in a way that I haven't seen for Duke football in my life, and I mean that (born in 1988).

Is it Saturday night yet? I'm going to have Duke football on the brain all week!

SoCalDukeFan
12-01-2013, 10:18 PM

You must root for Duke. Also root for Ohio State and Auburn. Actually when Duke wins and if Ohio State wins then it would be a travesty if they took Alabama over the SEC Champ. But the BCS has a history of travesties.

SoCal

matt1
12-01-2013, 10:21 PM
You must root for Duke. Also root for Ohio State and Auburn. Actually when Duke wins and if Ohio State wins then it would be a travesty if they took Alabama over the SEC Champ. But the BCS has a history of travesties.

SoCal

If Duke wins AND Ohio St. loses, it would be the SEC Champ against Alabama. I think that that is where he/she is coming from. I feel confident that the Orange would take Clemson if we lose (as long as they stay in the Top 14).

throatybeard
12-02-2013, 01:54 AM
I'm rooting for Duke.

But in the event that FSU houses us, I'm rooting for FSU in the national championship. I'd like the ACC to be relevant.

-bdbd
12-02-2013, 02:37 AM
I'm rooting for Duke.

But in the event that FSU houses us, I'm rooting for FSU in the national championship. I'd like the ACC to be relevant.

I can agree with that. But I have ZERO misgivings about rooting for Duke loud and long on Sat. night.

Here is the newest BCS poll:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/10/20/bcs-standings-bowl-championship-series/3112955/

Duke is BCS #20, as well as #20 in the Harris and the USA Today polls. We are #21 in the computers. Since we are a 27.5 point dog to FSU in Charlotte, if things go according to Vegas I would hope that we can stay in the top 25. If we can keep any defeat margin under 20, I'd expect some ranking improvement actually, or at least no decline.

I do worry about Clemson falling all the way to #13 now. While that keeps them BCS eligible, and a couple of those teams ranked just ahead of them are favored to lose this weekend (and thus improve Clemson's ranking to as high as #11), the Tigers are in serious jeopardy of losing their BCS invitee status to the likes of Oregon, Baylor, etc. If Clemson missed out on a BCS bid, then they are likely the CFA Bow's top choice. And Duke falls to the Russell (ORL, where Miami is a real competitive concern to steal the ACC's spot). The Sun Bowl in El Paso is a very real possibility, though I (and most Dukies) might prefer Atlanta or Orlando.

Skitzle
12-02-2013, 04:38 AM

We said that when we were 5-2 going into the Virginia Tech game. Everyone was talking about just making a bowl game. (We will lose to Tech and Miami, just need to beat 1 or maybe two of NC State Wake and UNC! HAH!!!) Lots of use talked about how sweeping the season was easier said than done.

Now it's done and done :D

Skitzle
12-02-2013, 04:40 AM
I can agree with that. But I have ZERO misgivings about rooting for Duke loud and long on Sat. night.

Here is the newest BCS poll:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/10/20/bcs-standings-bowl-championship-series/3112955/

Duke is BCS #20, as well as #20 in the Harris and the USA Today polls. We are #21 in the computers. Since we are a 27.5 point dog to FSU in Charlotte, if things go according to Vegas I would hope that we can stay in the top 25. If we can keep any defeat margin under 20, I'd expect some ranking improvement actually, or at least no decline.

I do worry about Clemson falling all the way to #13 now. While that keeps them BCS eligible, and a couple of those teams ranked just ahead of them are favored to lose this weekend (and thus improve Clemson's ranking to as high as #11), the Tigers are in serious jeopardy of losing their BCS invitee status to the likes of Oregon, Baylor, etc. If Clemson missed out on a BCS bid, then they are likely the CFA Bow's top choice. And Duke falls to the Russell (ORL, where Miami is a real competitive concern to steal the ACC's spot). The Sun Bowl in El Paso is a very real possibility, though I (and most Dukies) might prefer Atlanta or Orlando.

Posted this in the other thread, but can you explain Spot Stealing to me? How do they decide who goes where?

loran16
12-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Duke drops to 21 in the Coaches' poll, 22 in the AP Poll. We'll still have a # next to our name for the Bowl game.

Olympic Fan
12-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Duke drops to 21 in the Coaches' poll, 22 in the AP Poll. We'll still have a # next to our name for the Bowl game.

This is great -- and shows that the voters understand that a 45-7 loss to the best team in the country is not a sign of weakness.

But to finish in the top 25 (which would be a significant accomplishment), Duke will need to win -- or at least be very competitive -- in our bowl game.

Faison1
12-08-2013, 01:22 PM
This is great -- and shows that the voters understand that a 45-7 loss to the best team in the country is not a sign of weakness.

But to finish in the top 25 (which would be a significant accomplishment), Duke will need to win -- or at least be very competitive -- in our bowl game.

I think we have a chance against Texas A&M.....my impression is their defense is not as strong as FSU's. We might match up against them.

loran16
12-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I think we have a chance against Texas A&M.....my impression is their defense is not as strong as FSU's. We might match up against them.

3rd in O, 86th in D per Football Outsiders. Basically another version of Miami.

matt1
12-08-2013, 05:29 PM
A couple interesting notes from the coaches poll:

Our highest vote was #16 from- you guessed it- Steve Spurrier.
Cutcliffe had us #20 as did several ACC coaches, including Jim Grobe and Larry Fedora
Nick Saban and Mike D'Antonio had us 21
Jimbo Fisher, Frank Beamer, and Dabo Sweeney had us 22
Kevin Sumlin, coach of our bowl opponent, Texas A&M, put us unranked. Overlooking us?!

loran16
12-08-2013, 05:42 PM

Cutcliffe had us #20 as did several ACC coaches, including Jim Grobe and Larry Fedora
Kevin Sumlin, coach of our bowl opponent, Texas A&M, put us unranked. Overlooking us?!

Since when are those released to the public?

matt1
12-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Only in the final week

Bob Green
12-08-2013, 05:46 PM

You can see them here:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/ballots/

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2013, 08:40 PM

In the AP, the Aggies are 20th, in the coaches they are tied with us at 21st. Can't beat that for an even bowl matchup. :)

luburch
12-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Fell to 24th in the BCS this week, but still hanging in there.

Olympic Fan
12-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Fell to 24th in the BCS this week, but still hanging in there.

Actually, this is very good news, Since this was the last BCS poll, it means that Duke will finish as a ranked team ... no matter what happens in Atlanta.

To me, that is a significant achievement.

devildeac
12-08-2013, 10:35 PM
In the AP, the Aggies are 20th, in the coaches they are tied with us at 21st. Can't beat that for an even bowl matchup. :)

Early prediction on final score: Duke 45, A&M 42

Depending on how many guys we had injured in the ACCCG.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Early prediction on final score: Duke 45, A&M 42

Depending on how many guys we had injured in the ACCCG.

I predict a damn entertaining game. This is a fun match-up and a very challenging one. And unless I missed it, that is no other game competing with us.

Duke has a very strong Atlanta alum base. Atlanta is a great place to spend New Year's Eve. What a great opportunity to finish a fantastic year!

luburch
12-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Actually, this is very good news, Since this was the last BCS poll, it means that Duke will finish as a ranked team ... no matter what happens in Atlanta.

To me, that is a significant achievement.

I forgot that they don't release another one after the championship game, so this is actually fantastic news.

uh_no
12-08-2013, 11:45 PM
I forgot that they don't release another one after the championship game, so this is actually fantastic news.

no reason to! seeing as the the purpose of the BCS standings is to determine who goes to the BCS bowls.

there is another AP poll, i believe

OldPhiKap
12-08-2013, 11:48 PM
no reason to! seeing as the the purpose of the BCS standings is to determine who goes to the BCS bowls.

So is this the last BCS ever? Are we forever-ranked?

uh_no
12-08-2013, 11:56 PM
So is this the last BCS ever? Are we forever-ranked?

not sure if they'll still use it to determine "BCS Eligible teams" (aside from the ones going to the tournament)

Olympic Fan
12-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Yes ... and another coach's poll.

I'm not sure when they started taking polls after the bowls, but in my youth, they settled national championships before the bowls.

In the first year of the ACC, Maryland won the national title even though the Terps lost in their bowl game. That's a rough kind of justice -- the year before, Maryland was undefeated and won its bowl game, but still finished second to Tennessee, which then preceded to lose its bowl game.

I've seen people suggest that if Duke could have just defended that late pass in the 1939 Rose Bowl to finish undefeated, untied and unscored upon, that Duke could have won the national title. But they couldn't -- the polls were taken before the bowl and Duke finished No. 3.

But as far as I'm concerned this Duke team will forever be No. 24 (in the final BCS standings ) ... unless we win the bowl and end up ranked higher in the AP or coaches poll, in which case I'll use whichever ranking is highest.