PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 48, Miami 30 Post-Game Thread

hurleyfor3
11-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

duke4ever19
11-16-2013, 07:06 PM
My Dukies in Victory formation vs the U? Why not!

Skitzle
11-16-2013, 07:07 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dukelifer
11-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Magical season! Could not happen to a better team ;)

OldPhiKap
11-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Words fail me. Wooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rthomas
11-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Awesome game!!!!!!

moonpie23
Wow!!!! Ranked football, here comes duke!!!!!

burnspbesq
Not a fluke. The better team won.

Think about that for a minute.

-bdbd
11-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Really, really enjoyed this one. It was very significant too. We will be ranked this week, no doubt. We are now 8-2 and going to a decent bowl in any event. Most wins since - ties 1994, with three games still to play (at least). We are now going to be taken seriously as the "likely" Coastal team in the ACC Championship Game. Big step forward for the program. And we did it w/o tricks - playing good fundamental footbal, lots of running, good coaching, etc.

It sure feels good! :D

johnb
11-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Beating Miami and Virginia Tech in a season? Unbelievable.

burnspbesq
11-16-2013, 07:16 PM
358 rushing yards. Wow.

75Crazie
11-16-2013, 07:16 PM
I am a natural pessimist, but this team has made a believer out of me.

Game ball to the O-line. This team has the best running game that I can remember in a Duke team, and that includes the Cuthbert, Grayson/Boone, and Steve Jones teams.

Dukehky
11-16-2013, 07:17 PM
They shut me up. I remember posting a few weeks ago that we would beat state, wake, and carolina, and that we would lose to VT and Miami. Well, I guess we may as well beat all of them. Incredible game. Getting down 10-0 then 17-7 to a more talented team and coming back. Proud of everybody on that sideline. Absolutely incredible.

devildeac
11-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Football school;) .

devildeac
11-16-2013, 07:18 PM
358 rushing yards. Wow.

Duke turnovers?

Zero. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Huge, huge victory.

NYBri
11-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Ran on them all day long! Great game plan and execution!

devildeac
11-16-2013, 07:20 PM
We want.......

Wake!!!!!!

DukieInKansas
11-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Thank you, Duke Football! Congratulations on continuing a great season.

pamtar
11-16-2013, 07:25 PM
That was a VERY impressive win. When Meeahmee got things clicking offensively for that one drive in the 3rd I got scared! A lot to be said that Duke was able to keep calm and just straight dominate the rest of the game. Gutsy call on 4th down, clearly caught their D off guard. This is fun!

dukie’s_daughter
They shut me up. I remember posting a few weeks ago that we would beat state, wake, and carolina, and that we would lose to VT and Miami. Well, I guess we may as well beat all of them. Incredible game. Getting down 10-0 then 17-7 to a more talented team and coming back. Proud of everybody on that sideline. Absolutely incredible.

I disagree...Tonight, WE were the more talented team!

Go DUKE
THANK YOU SENIORS
CUT FOR PRESIDENT!

brevity
AP Poll:

23. Texas (LOST)
24. Miami (LOST)
25. Georgia (LOST)
26. Ole Miss (WON)
27. Minnesota (BYE)
28. Nebraska (LOST)
29. Duke (WON)

It should happen. Bear in mind that Minnesota is ranked #25 in the coaches poll, which could linger in the minds of AP voters, so they could enter the poll even thoguh they didn't play. Also, #30 USC hosts #4 Stanford tonight.

Dukeface88
11-16-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the first time ever an announcer has uttered the sentence "his Miami defense has no answer for Duke’s running game"

I'm currently trash-talking my sister (an FSU grad) on Facebook. I will probably regret this later, but it wasn't really something I thought I'd ever be able to do. Seems a shame to let the opportunity go to waste :D

FerryFor50
11-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Just think if they had pulled out the win against Pitt... Still will take 8-2 though!

FerryFor50
11-16-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the first time ever an announcer has uttered the sentence "his Miami defense has no answer for Duke’s running game"

I'm currently trash-talking my sister (an FSU grad) on Facebook. I will probably regret this later, but it wasn't really something I thought I'd ever be able to do. Seems a shame to let the opportunity go to waste :D

When does the "Fire Al Golden" countdown begin?

Dukeface88
11-16-2013, 07:34 PM
When does the "Fire Al Golden" countdown begin?

According to google...last week

devildeac
11-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Possible sports headline tomorrow:

Duke Give Hurricanes Tropical Depression!

burnspbesq
11-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Read and enjoy.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/16/3758532/miami-hurricanes-defense-vanishes.html

davekay1971
11-16-2013, 07:38 PM
That was a great game. Absolutely great. To spot Miami 10 points then outscore them 48-20 the rest of the way is unbelievable. Our defense bent all game, but stood tall in the red zone often enough to give our offense...which was unbelievably good...to absolutely beat down Miami. And the fourth quarter...we were the better team, the more fit team, the more physical team, the more confident team.

Miami may have invented "swagger"...but in the fourth quarter tonight, it was Duke that had all of it.

PS: just saw on ESPN's ACC blog twitter feed this from Rob Lowe (yes, the 80s...er 90s...er 00s...er 10s) actor: "#Duke YES!!"

Had no idea he was a fan.

NYBri
11-16-2013, 07:41 PM
That was a great game. Absolutely great. To spot Miami 10 points then outscore them 48-20 the rest of the way is unbelievable. Our defense bent all game, but stood tall in the red zone often enough to give our offense...which was unbelievably good...to absolutely beat down Miami. And the fourth quarter...we were the better team, the more fit team, the more physical team, the more confident team.

Miami may have invented "swagger"...but in the fourth quarter tonight, it was Duke that had all of it.

Down 10-0 and to march the field...then to take the half-time lead and keep it up. No quit in this team!

Wander
11-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Our defense bent all game, but stood tall in the red zone

The big secret to Duke football this year is the red zone. I love the stat they showed: Duke is one of only three teams in the country to score a touchdown on every goal-to-go situation this year. The red zone defense is good too.

The field goal upright gods have been very kind to Duke this year.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2013, 07:44 PM
AP Poll:

23. Texas (LOST)
24. Miami (LOST)
25. Georgia (LOST)
26. Ole Miss (WON)
27. Minnesota (BYE)
28. Nebraska (LOST)
29. Duke (WON)

It should happen. Bear in mind that Minnesota is ranked #25 in the coaches poll, which could linger in the minds of AP voters, so they could enter the poll even thoguh they didn't play. Also, #30 USC hosts #4 Stanford tonight.

Not sure where else to post this, but -- if you missed the end of the UGa game against Auburn, you missed a freaky freaky finish. Wow.

NYBri
11-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Read and enjoy.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/16/3758532/miami-hurricanes-defense-vanishes.html

And I did!!!!

tieguy
11-16-2013, 07:45 PM
PS: just saw on ESPN's ACC blog twitter feed this from Rob Lowe (yes, the 80s...er 90s...er 00s...er 10s) actor: "#Duke YES!!"

Had no idea he was a fan.

One of his kids is an alum.

~tieguy

dhillbluedevil
11-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Wow - huge win for the Duke football program. Do I hear coach of the year again?

jipops
11-16-2013, 07:49 PM
4th quarter domination!!!

tieguy
11-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Wow - huge win for the Duke football program. Do I hear coach of the year again?

He has to be in the NCOY discussion. And no one else (except maybe Jimbo Fisher?) is even in the discussion for ACC COY, I would think?

~tieguy

bbosbbos
11-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Great game, hard to find a word to describe it.

peloton
11-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Incredible game! I can't say anything that hasn't already been said so I won't...except for congratulations to Coach Cut, his staff, and last but certainly not least...the team. That was an amazing display of heart...intestinal fortitude...whatever you wish to call it. As most everyone, I'll be on cloud nine for the next few days. You can bet I'll be wearing my Duke Football shirt at work Monday. As Bob Harris likes to say, "how sweet it is!"

MCFinARL
11-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Words fail me. Wooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so in another thread I accused you of risking madness with your football emphasis. I hereby officially eat crow. if this be madness, yet there is method in it. :)

peloton
11-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Tieguy, if Jimbo wins ACC COY over Coach Cutcliffe I'll be very surprised. Simply put, FSU's supposed to be good to very good each season...we know what the perception of Duke football has been for decades. I'd wager that what Cut has done this year is more impressive than what Fisher's done with FSU...of course, I'm probably a bit biased ;).

OldPhiKap
11-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Okay, so in another thread I accused you of risking madness with your football emphasis. I hereby officially eat crow. if this be madness, yet there is method in it. :)

"Embrace the crazy, McFinARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Let me tell you my story about this game....

I was at work for the first half. I got a text message from my neighbor at halftime. He's a dyed in the wool UNC fan, who has been watching games with me this season in perpetual disbelief.

He encouraged me to sack out of work early to catch the second half with him, which I did. I got there just in time to watch the FG skim in off the upright. The rest of the game was just magical, much like the NCSU game last week.

Our boys EXPECT to win, and play as such. It's am amazing thing to watch, and for someone who has only watched the last three decades of Duke football, something that is simply baffling. My UNC neighbor is a big Seahawks fans (for many years too, not a bandwagon fan) and at about the 5 minute mark he said "this Duke team reminds me of my Seahawks."

I can't overstate my level of confusion, euphoria, disbelief, and exuberance about this team. Truly a phenomenal group.

Before this game, I told a friend and Duke fan "this game is the difference between a really good Duke football team and an epic story that will go down in the annals of history." Well, here we are.

We have two game in front of us that we will be favored in and are the only thing that separate us from an ACC Championship game. We might, in fact, be able to lose one or both of these games and still play FSU in Charlotte in a few weeks.

I simply don't know how to process this information.

Is there a dukefootballreport.com website yet?

PS - When's the last time the Duke football team had a better winning percentage than the Duke basketball team? Been a few years, I'd wager.

GO DUKE!!!!

jipops
11-16-2013, 08:19 PM
PS - When's the last time the Duke football team had a better winning percentage than the Duke basketball team? Been a few years, I'd wager.

GO DUKE!!!!

94-95

OldPhiKap
11-16-2013, 08:22 PM
94-95

Ugh. Thankfully, not likely to be repeated this year.

(Unless the football team goes 12-2, in which case the basketball team has its work cut out for it but can be pretty darn close)

75Crazie
11-16-2013, 08:25 PM
We have two game in front of us that we will be favored in and are the only thing that separate us from an ACC Championship game. We might, in fact, be able to lose one or both of these games and still play FSU in Charlotte in a few weeks.
I truly hope we are not favored against Carolina, and I am not sure we will be. Maybe at home we would be, but with the game being at Carolina and with them on a roll also now, I think it will be even at best. And of course, we have to get past Wake first (never ever ever underestimate a Jim Grobe team).

And I see no way to play FSU if we lose both games -- GT is already finished at 5-3.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Just think if they had pulled out the win against Pitt... Still will take 8-2 though!

8-2 is awesome, for sure. But that Pitt loss was a bad loss. It's crazy to think about, but if not for the Pitt game, Duke would still have an extremely outside chance at the Natty!

Having said that, Duke has gone from a nice season to a solid program the last two years. We are, without a doubt, the top program in NC at the moment.

It's nothing more than a testament to the greatness of Coach Cutt. He's done something nobody thought possible.

Remember last year when we were worried about realignment because we thought the football program was so weak? How times change.

ChillinDuke
11-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Wow.

- Chillin

tieguy
11-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Tieguy, if Jimbo wins ACC COY over Coach Cutcliffe I'll be very surprised.
Oh, yeah, me too. I'm just wondering if anyone other than Cut even gets any votes? Or is it unanimous?
~tieguy

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-16-2013, 08:31 PM
94-95

1994 Duke start:

W
W
L
W
W
W
W

What was the football record?

Currently, Duke football stands at .800 and basketball is at .666

OldPhiKap
11-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Oh, yeah, me too. I'm just wondering if anyone other than Cut even gets any votes? Or is it unanimous?
~tieguy

BC's coach should also get some votes, they have come from doormat to competitive. But I find it hard to find a better coaching job than Cut.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-16-2013, 08:33 PM
1994 Duke start:

W
W
L
W
W
W
W

What was the football record?

Currently, Duke football stands at .800 and basketball is at .666

Duke Football was 8-3
Duke Basketball was 2-0

davekay1971
11-16-2013, 08:41 PM
And I see no way to play FSU if we lose both games -- GT is already finished at 5-3.

Pretty sure that, since GT beat us, if we lose either of our final two games, we will not be playing in the ACC championship game.

And, to the poster upthread who advised us to not overlook Wake...AGREED!

Wake has a nasty habit, in my experience, of managing to be the turd in the punchbowl, particularly playing on their home turf. Wake is missing Campanero, and Duke is the better team this season, but Wake will be playing with plenty of motivation. They are still alive (barely) for bowl eligibility. It's their last home game and their senior day. They will play hard against us.

I have faith in this Duke team, more every week, and I think we will beat Wake. But not if we play next weekend with our minds focused on UNC.

PS: the excellent 4-way-tiebreak scenario in the bowl vigil thread explains how Duke could go 5-3 and represent the coastal. God bless the people who managed to sort through that mess...

Potato Head
11-16-2013, 08:58 PM
~tieguy

If Duke is involved, it won't be unanimous. Also, someone voted UNC #1 in the ACC Preseason Basketball poll, so there's always that guy.

killerleft
11-16-2013, 09:08 PM
I have no voice left. Woot! Run,run, run! I must be beside myself, or is that a tear of joy in the corner of my eye?

Duvall
11-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Duke Football was 8-3
Duke Basketball was 2-0

11-13-1999

Duke football was 3-7, Duke basketball was 0-2.

pfrduke
11-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Duke Football was 8-3
Duke Basketball was 2-0

If we're looking for specific points in time, rather than overall seasons, then it's slightly more recent. On November 19, 1999, our basketball team was 0-2 and our football team was 3-7. The next day, basketball beat Army and football lost to UNC, giving the hoops team a better winning percentage (.333 vs. .273). Of course, that year's basketball team finished 29-5, against football's 3-8.

Duke_92
11-16-2013, 09:32 PM
This is just so great. To see this team grow over the years has been a thing of beauty. No matter how regular this sort of thing becomes, I'll never take it for granted.....on to Wake.

Newton_14
11-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Not a fluke. The better team won.

Think about that for a minute.

I was thinking the same thing as the clock was winding down. Unreal but accurate. Our offense was too much for them. We dialed back the passing game to cut down on the interception risk, used the running game better than we have all year, and rotated Boone and Connette perfectly. Our defense bent a lot but made enough key stops to either force field goals/turnover/punt to keep the pressure off the offense just enough. Magical night.

Congrats to Cutcliffe, his staff, the players and the program. Another milestone night.

Great great weekend for Duke University Football and Basketball.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Not to bring up bad memories, but it is amazing that in the same calendar year, Miami beat us by 27 in basketball and we beat Miami by 18 in football!

Billy Dat
11-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Amazing win, I am still floored that we are good enough that our games are on ESPNU and I can watch them from my couch in NY.

When that field goal hit the post and went in, the sense that something special was happening began to take hold.

I loved the shot of the huge Miami fan in the "The U - We Invented Swagger" tshirt looking at his friend after the 4th down rushing TD, with a look of utter eyerolling pain, as he repeated, "It's Duke!, It's Duke!", as in, "How can we be losing to Duke?" Well, it seems that 2013 Duke football aint your Daddy's Duke football if your Daddy is me and you attended Duke during the Barry Wilson era.

I am very happy for the players and coaches. I am sure those seniors could not have imagined a Senior Day like this when they were freshmen.

uh_no
11-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Amazing win, I am still floored that we are good enough that our games are on ESPNU and I can watch them from my couch in NY.

When that field goal hit the post and went in, the sense that something special was happening began to take hold.

I loved the shot of the huge Miami fan in the "The U - We Invented Swagger" tshirt looking at his friend after the 4th down rushing TD, with a look of utter eyerolling pain, as he repeated, "It's Duke!, It's Duke!", as in, "How can we be losing to Duke?" Well, it seems that 2013 Duke football aint your Daddy's Duke football if your Daddy is me and you attended Duke during the Barry Wilson era.

I am very happy for the players and coaches. I am sure those seniors could not have imagined a Senior Day like this when they were freshmen.

the field goal hit the post????

the student section is in line with the Goal posts...so it's impossible to know...I don't think ANYONE saw that

EDIT: jeez...that one was on the far end???? perspective is a hell of a drug!

OldPhiKap
11-16-2013, 10:17 PM

the student section is in line with the Goal posts...so it's impossible to know...I don't think ANYONE saw that

Yeah, it definitely was not "all net" -- hit the post but fell through.

Magic!

Newton_14
11-16-2013, 10:17 PM

It was at the open end of the horseshoe. How the heck did u miss that??

DU82
11-16-2013, 10:19 PM

It was at the open end of the stadium. The replay on the scoreboard showed it clearly. Grazed it more than hitting it flush.

(Newton and I had the same thought. No surprise there!)

uh_no
11-16-2013, 10:21 PM
It was at the open end of the stadium. The replay on the scoreboard showed it clearly. Grazed it more than hitting it flush.

i think after seeing the refs signal *good* the last thing I thought about was watching the replay on the scoreboard. Can't believe i didn't see it, but even in the student section, I think the angle to the far goalposts makes it tough to see

DU82
11-16-2013, 10:24 PM
i think after seeing the refs signal *good* the last thing I thought about was watching the replay on the scoreboard. Can't believe i didn't see it, but even in the student section, I think the angle to the far goalposts makes it tough to see

We only watched it because the guy behind me heard Bob Harris on the radio saying it hit the post.

Newton_14
11-16-2013, 10:25 PM

It actually hit it pretty hard. I careemed dead right and fell thru to the other side nearer the right poll. He hooked it and it appeared to be heading towards "wide left" but it straightened back up somehow and caught the inner half of the goal post. I assume the wind straightened it out. Close call though.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-16-2013, 10:31 PM
I was there. All I'm going to say is we have seen the promised land and it is OURS!

OldPhiKap
11-16-2013, 10:40 PM
I was there. All I'm going to say is we have seen the promised land and it is OURS!

Amen, Sister DiBD! Although the promised land is still a few games down the horizon. As Cut noted last week, the thing about November games is that, if you win, the next week is even bigger. "As it should be."

This is a miracle run for the fans. Cut thinks this is what we should do every year I suspect.

Damn, this is fun!

(P.S. Sorry I did not get up to a game, but will be at whatever bowl we attend. Certainly hope to see you then, we need a DBR tailgate somewhere!)

OZ
11-16-2013, 10:42 PM
....I just stood there soaking it all in as it unfolded before me... Ozzie three rows down, doing his dance (?).... Cut being thoroughly baptized with Gatorade... with 2 seconds left, the players jumping around with pure EARNED joy...under the threat of imprisonment, the students leaping the walls and running onto the field... I hadn't seen a scene like this since my first year - 1960. It had been a long agonizing time coming. If my buds had not pulled me up the steps, I would still be standing there soaking it in.

Son of Jarhead
11-16-2013, 11:25 PM
I am a natural pessimist, but this team has made a believer out of me.

Game ball to the O-line. This team has the best running game that I can remember in a Duke team, and that includes the Cuthbert, Grayson/Boone, and Steve Jones teams.

Chris Douglas was pretty good back in the early 2000's (Duke's all-time leading rusher with 3,122 yards), as was Robert Baldwin in '94 (ACC Player of the Year) Still, I love having four guys that can all perform. And having an experienced, quality O-line is huge! After we scored early in the 4th, I remember looking at the Miami bench and thinking... "they are worried". We ran them into the ground!

Loved this game! Just like last week, I had a blast, only.. 'more'... some how. Jarhead was down-right giddy in the 4th Qtr. As long as he has been sitting in Wade cheering on Duke, he was due that joy.

Now, next game! Go Duke!!!! Beat Wake!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Amen, Sister DiBD! Although the promised land is still a few games down the horizon. As Cut noted last week, the thing about November games is that, if you win, the next week is even bigger. "As it should be."

This is a miracle run for the fans. Cut thinks this is what we should do every year I suspect.

Damn, this is fun!

(P.S. Sorry I did not get up to a game, but will be at whatever bowl we attend. Certainly hope to see you then, we need a DBR tailgate somewhere!)
Representatives from the Russell Athletic Bowl, Chic-fil-a Bowl and Orange Bowl came to our tailgate party and asked if we'd go to their cities for a bowl game. They also wanted to know if we'd be there if there's a Duke basketball game the same day... our answer.... a resounding YES! The Orange Bowl folks seemed especially interested.

DBFAN
11-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Not to bring up bad memories, but it is amazing that in the same calendar year, Miami beat us by 27 in basketball and we beat Miami by 18 in football!

That is exactly what I told my wife at dinner tonight. I said that I wonder if the U fans are feeling like we did after the Duke and Miami basketball game

Truth is always stranger than fiction"

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2013, 12:03 AM
That is exactly what I told my wife at dinner tonight. I said that I wonder if the U fans are feeling like we did after the Duke and Miami basketball game

Truth is always stranger than fiction"
Who knows what they think? The U people were pretty much gone long before the game ended.

DBFAN
11-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Who knows what they think? The U people were pretty much gone long before the game ended.

Ha......Nice

BigWayne
11-17-2013, 02:16 AM

I was wondering what that guy was saying. Classic.

brevity
11-17-2013, 04:58 AM
AP Poll:

23. Texas (LOST)
24. Miami (LOST)
25. Georgia (LOST)
26. Ole Miss (WON)
27. Minnesota (BYE)
28. Nebraska (LOST)
29. Duke (WON)

It should happen. Bear in mind that Minnesota is ranked #25 in the coaches poll, which could linger in the minds of AP voters, so they could enter the poll even though they didn't play. Also, #30 USC hosts #4 Stanford tonight.

...and USC won.

This means Ole Miss, Minnesota, Duke, and USC will essentially be fighting for 3 open slots in the AP poll released later today.* USC has the biggest win, Duke has the best story, Minnesota is already ranked in USA Today, and Ole Miss (who beat Troy) is in the most favored conference. Someone has to be #26. I'll guess Minnesota.

The coaches poll:

23. Miami (LOST)
24. Texas (LOST)
25. Minnesota (BYE)
26. Georgia (LOST)
27. Nebraska (LOST)
T28. Ball State (LOST)
T28. Duke (WON)
30. Virginia Tech (LOST)
31. UL-Lafayette (WON)
T32. Cincinnati (WON)
T32. USC (WON)
T32. Ole Miss (WON)

Despite only 2 openings, Duke is sitting prettier here. It'll be USC and Duke.

* Yes, I realize that this is a very linear way to look at polls, and that voting should be more fluid, but I have always believed that voters in sports polls are incredibly lazy, and put less thought into their job than I just did here with my weak-sauce analysis.

sagegrouse
11-17-2013, 07:10 AM
Duke owns the second half of football games. The following table shows cumulative scoring by period through yesterday and rfeveals how dominant Duke has been in the second half, but especially the fourth quarter:

Period 1 2 3 4 TOT Pct 1H Pct. 2H
OPP 68 70 51 31 220 62.7% 37.3%
DUK 63 87 76 110 336 44.6% 55.4%
Ratio 0.93 1.24 1.49 3.55 1.53

The 4th quarter is our highest offensive output with 110 points and marks the lowest for our opponents, only 31 points. That's a a ratio of greater than 3.5 to one.

Duke is holding opponents to an average of eights points in the second half, while scoring an average of 19 points.

sagegrouse

devildeac
11-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Gotta love Josh Snead's comment when asked about Duke's running game yesterday: "We noticed Miami was tiring and Coach said he was gonna call it and haul it." 358 yards rushing! Are you kidding me?

Bob Green
11-17-2013, 07:42 AM
We ran the ball 52 times averaging 6.9 yards per carry! What an amazing performance by the OL and running backs. Moreover, Coach Cutcliffe shuffled Boone and Connette at QB with positive results. The defensive backs came up with some key pass break ups down the stretch so those youngsters deserve a big slap on the back for a job well done.

We are 8-2 and pounded Miami in front of scouts from the Chick-fil-A, Russell Athletic and Belk Bowls so I would call the day a success.

summerwind03
11-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Duke owns the second half of football games. The following table shows cumulative scoring by period through yesterday and rfeveals how dominant Duke has been in the second half, but especially the fourth quarter:

Period 1 2 3 4 TOT Pct 1H Pct. 2H
OPP 68 70 51 31 220 62.7% 37.3%
DUK 63 87 76 110 336 44.6% 55.4%
Ratio 0.93 1.24 1.49 3.55 1.53

The 4th quarter is our highest offensive output with 110 points and marks the lowest for our opponents, only 31 points. That's a a ratio of greater than 3.5 to one.

Duke is holding opponents to an average of eights points in the second half, while scoring an average of 19 points.

sagegrouse

That is fascinating! Thanks.

OldPhiKap
11-17-2013, 08:12 AM
No turnovers.

"Value the football," as Cut said mid-week. Very well done, that was the biggest difference between this game and the last two.

If we do not beat ourselves, we are hard to beat.

Indoor66
11-17-2013, 08:26 AM
I was thinking the same thing as the clock was winding down. Unreal but accurate. Our offense was too much for them. We dialed back the passing game to cut down on the interception risk, used the running game better than we have all year, and rotated Boone and Connette perfectly. Our defense bent a lot but made enough key stops to either force field goals/turnover/punt to keep the pressure off the offense just enough. Magical night.

Congrats to Cutcliffe, his staff, the players and the program. Another milestone night.

Great great weekend for Duke University Football and Basketball.

I am most impressed with our improved ability to tackle. Our players take the opponents down or slow them enough for help to arrive. It didn't used to be that way.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-17-2013, 08:27 AM
I have just got to quote myself from Facebook and the Oztimizm thread, 'cause I can't say it any better than that!

I've been going to Duke football games since September 1972. I've seen mediocre, bad and horrible teams. But today was the BEST football game I've ever seen! You have no idea how happy I am right now! 8-2. WOW!

http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/happy/bouncyblue.gif

77devil
11-17-2013, 08:53 AM
I have just got to quote myself from Facebook and the Oztimizm thread, 'cause I can't say it any better than that!

I've been going to Duke football games since September 1972. I've seen mediocre, bad and horrible teams. But today was the BEST football game I've ever seen! You have no idea how happy I am right now! 8-2. WOW!

http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/happy/bouncyblue.gif

I guess you didn't see the 1989 41-0 shellacking of UNC. :). That game or this one is the high water mark for me.

ChrisP
11-17-2013, 08:55 AM
I'd like to point out that Duke's oft maligned (by me even) D gave up exactly 2 offensive TD's yesterday. I was at the game and honestly didn't even realize it until I thought about the scoring this morning. At times, it seemed Miami's O-line was routinely opening up HUGE holes for their RB's but our "bend but don't break" defense mostly held their offense in check.

Wow, between the much-improved defense and the THREE HUNDRED FIFTY EIGHT yards rushing, can you believe we're looking at DUKE football? Awesome!!! :cool:

OldPhiKap
11-17-2013, 08:59 AM
I guess you didn't see the 1989 41-0 shellacking of UNC. :). That game or this one is the high water mark for me.

Maybe he means home games.

Reilly
11-17-2013, 09:01 AM
...and USC won.

This means Ole Miss, Minnesota, Duke, and USC will essentially be fighting for 3 open slots in the AP poll released later today.* USC has the biggest win, Duke has the best story, Minnesota is already ranked in USA Today, and Ole Miss (who beat Troy) is in the most favored conference. Someone has to be #26. I'll guess Minnesota.

The coaches poll:

23. Miami (LOST)
24. Texas (LOST)
25. Minnesota (BYE)
26. Georgia (LOST)
27. Nebraska (LOST)
T28. Ball State (LOST)
T28. Duke (WON)
30. Virginia Tech (LOST)
31. UL-Lafayette (WON)
T32. Cincinnati (WON)
T32. USC (WON)
T32. Ole Miss (WON)

Despite only 2 openings, Duke is sitting prettier here. It'll be USC and Duke.

* Yes, I realize that this is a very linear way to look at polls, and that voting should be more fluid, but I have always believed that voters in sports polls are incredibly lazy, and put less thought into their job than I just did here with my weak-sauce analysis.

Cut said he'll vote us in ... he said we are good in all three phases and not every team can say that and that's why we deserve it.

DownEastDevil
11-17-2013, 09:53 AM
And the fourth quarter...we were the better team, the more fit team, the more physical team, the more confident team.

At the start of the 4th quarter I looked over to the Duke sidelines and every player was huddled around the coaches jumping up and down cheering and then no emotion on the Miami sidelines. I told my buddy then we were getting ready to lay the hammer down, you could just see it coming!

Faison1
11-17-2013, 10:10 AM
I watched the game with a bunch of Georgia fans at a friend's house (2 Duke fans and 10 UGA fans). We actually switched the TV's so that the Duke game was on the big TV, and the Georgia game was on the little TV!

Until Georgia's late game comeback, it was generally regarded that the Duke-Miami game was the better of the two. How about that????

budwom
11-17-2013, 10:31 AM
I am most impressed with our improved ability to tackle. Our players take the opponents down or slow them enough for help to arrive. It didn't used to be that way.

Tackling indeed. Kelby Brown has become a monster at LB, and Helton is playing well there, too.

The biggest shock to me is the total transformation of the secondary from earlier in the season (e.g. Pitt game where our DBs were burned all day).
A whole bunch of guys who weren't starting suddenly made the most of their opportunities, and suddenly we had new DBs playing most of the time, four of
them frosh: Singleton, Fields, Borders, and Edwards (abetted by soph Cash who is proving to be first rate).
Unlike our DBs of the past, who could neither cover nor tackle well, these guys can do both. It's truly amazing how well they've played.
It's hard to believe they emerged as quickly (and shockingly) as they have.

duke blue brewcrew
11-17-2013, 10:39 AM
If we do not beat ourselves, we are hard to beat.

I haven't heard it put better than this about this year's team, well said!

Faison1
11-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah, it definitely was not "all net" -- hit the post but fell through.

Magic!

As we were watching the game, a friend said Kirk Herbstreit picked Duke to win because, according to him, "the ball just seems to be bouncing Duke's way this year."

Right then, Ross Martin bounced the ball off the upright and in......how often does that happen? If it hits the upright, it NEVER goes in!

Then Will Monday's punt was spotted at the 1 yard line! These sorts of things just didn't happen in the past!

Devil549
11-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Been going to football games since 1973 (first game a 27-10 win over UNC) and this is first year I have attended all the home games (family obligations, work ECT thru the years like we all have). I have not had season tickets since every year 73 but had them on and off until Coach Cut arrived and my son and I went to a meet the coach at an event in Wilson in the spring of 2008 and really felt we had a coach. Now I know that is easy to say now but back on that spring day I could tell he came to Duke to win and build a program. He said he would recruit speed, he basically said if a kid could run we will find him. He was confident but not cocky basically you could tell he knew what it takes to compete at the BCS level.

I have to admit I had my doubts as I left Wilson that night but told my son we will buy season tickets and see what happens. In the fall of 2008 we looked like a football team in the first game IMO vs. James Madison then won 2 of the next 3 losing to Northwestern on a holding call and beating UVA 31-3. After the 2008 season I thought well Coach Cut took Coach Roof's recruits and competed somewhat in ACC I can't wait to see what he does with his own recruits.

Growing pains occurred in 2009-2011 but still had hope and there were disappointments (Richmond and WF games) but never excuses from Coach Cut just a "nose to the grindstone" we will keep building this program attitude. The 2012 and a Bowl Season that finished rough but he had laid a foundation.

Now we are competing for an ACC Championship just as he told that group in Wilson in 2008. Coach Cut came here to win championships I just wanted the team to win some games but now I believe that Coach Cut and this team and this program will compete in the ACC and CAN win championships. It will not be easy but it will be a fun ride and Duke has a great coach and leader of young men in David Cutcliff!!!!

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2013, 10:54 AM
We ran the ball 52 times averaging 6.9 yards per carry! What an amazing performance by the OL and running backs. Moreover, Coach Cutcliffe shuffled Boone and Connette at QB with positive results. The defensive backs came up with some key pass break ups down the stretch so those youngsters deserve a big slap on the back for a job well done.

We are 8-2 and pounded Miami in front of scouts from the Chick-fil-A, Russell Athletic and Belk Bowls so I would call the day a success.
When you mention bowl reps there, don't leave put the Orange Bowl. All visited our tailgate party and were up in the President's box.

BTW Last night was the first time in a long time that occupants of the President's Box stayed through the second half.

duke blue brewcrew
11-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Tackling indeed. Kelby Brown has become a monster at LB, and Helton is playing well there, too.

The biggest shock to me is the total transformation of the secondary from earlier in the season (e.g. Pitt game where our DBs were burned all day).
A whole bunch of guys who weren't starting suddenly made the most of their opportunities, and suddenly we had new DBs playing most of the time, four of
them frosh: Singleton, Fields, Borders, and Edwards (abetted by soph Cash who is proving to be first rate).
Unlike our DBs of the past, who could neither cover nor tackle well, these guys can do both. It's truly amazing how well they've played.

While I'm most impressed by the progress of the two very experienced lines, and specifically the impact of the O-line on a now potent run game for Duke, I couldn't agree more about the progress of our DBs. With all of the playtime they have received this year, they aren't freshmen anymore. They are playing like the talented, experienced play-makers we need them to be for Duke to be successful. Let's not lose sight of the job Jeremy Cash has done in the secondary. He can support against the pass and the run, as well as put heat on the QB when called upon. As for Kelby Brown...when he's healthy, he's an absolute beast who plays with the intensity and heart of a lion! He has a nose for the football and plays as if he's in the opponents huddle.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Maybe he means home games.
I did mean home games, and I saw that one on TV. But I was also including the 1971 Orange Bowl I went to where Nebraska with Jeff Kinney beat Alabama with Johnny Musso, the Italian Stallion, for the National Championship! And, of course, I famously missed last year's carolina game, which was chronicled here and elsewhere. If I had been at that game, it would have been a tie! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

NYBri
11-17-2013, 11:04 AM

Coaching.

NYBri
11-17-2013, 11:09 AM
While I'm most impressed by the progress of the two very experienced lines, and specifically the impact of the O-line on a now potent run game for Duke, I couldn't agree more about the progress of our DBs. With all of the playtime they have received this year, they aren't freshmen anymore. They are playing like the talented, experienced play-makers we need them to be for Duke to be successful. Let's not lose sight of the job Jeremy Cash has done in the secondary. He can support against the pass and the run, as well as put heat on the QB when called upon. As for Kelby Brown...when he's healthy, he's an absolute beast who plays with the intensity and heart of a lion! He has a nose for the football and plays as if he's in the opponents huddle.

If we win the next two, and are "fortunate" enough to play FSU, they will be truly tested. I hope we get there for no better reason than to give these kids the experience of playing the best in the big time. THAT will help them and the program for years to come.

budwom
11-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Coaching.

And recruiting!

devildeac
11-17-2013, 03:06 PM
You never know what injuries can produce. Look at how much doom and gloom we had after Boone was injured and BC threw 4 INT and we lost to Pitt. That time starting for Connette, I believe, provided him with fabulous experience and confidence on the field such that the staff felt he and Boone could both be highly productive yesterday. I read in the Raleigh N&O that the plan was for both to be in for 2 series each and then likely decide who would play the majority of the snaps after that. The coaches felt so good about both of them that they were told at the half they would both be playing in the 2nd half. That's a great situation in which we find ourselves.

devildeac
11-17-2013, 03:07 PM
My two favorite words yesterday:

Victory formation.

devildeac
11-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Heh-heh.

http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/download/file.php?id=1748&t=1

OldPhiKap
11-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Heh-heh.

#thanksforplaying #longridehome

Acymetric
11-17-2013, 03:44 PM

I tried to find this and couldn't, it showed the guy looking bummed out but I never caught him saying anything. Sounds like a fun watch though.

jimsumner
11-17-2013, 05:19 PM
For games at Wade, it's hard to top the 1989 win over Clemson.

pfrduke
11-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Heh-heh.

They cut to this guy later in the game (I think after the Powell touchdown), saying to his buddy, with confusion and disgust, "Duke??? Duke???" So flummoxed was he that the swaggering swaggerers could lose to our humble Blue Devils.

brevity
11-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Heh-heh.

#thanksforplaying #longridehome

Start the yacht.

Billy Dat
11-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Start the yacht (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avaSdC0QOUM).

I'm On A Boat!

Duke_92
11-17-2013, 11:40 PM
For games at Wade, it's hard to top the 1989 win over Clemson.

I largely agree, but being a sophomore at the time I didn't have much context for what that meant for the program. Having witnessed the frustration of the last couple of decades (the last 5 years as a season ticket holder) certainly made this pretty special. Also running onto the field at 44 was pretty exhilarating in a way that it wasn't at 20!!

OldPhiKap
11-18-2013, 08:09 AM
They cut to this guy later in the game (I think after the Powell touchdown), saying to his buddy, with confusion and disgust, "Duke??? Duke???" So flummoxed was he that the swaggering swaggerers could lose to our humble Blue Devils.

I guess The U is not so much a hurricane, rather a low tropical depression.

blazindw
11-18-2013, 09:37 AM

This goes against my law school alma materness (don't worry, anyone who knows me knows who I was pulling for on Saturday), but I found it hilarious too. I made this based on a video my friend sent me...enjoy!

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/11-18-2013/T2hKMg.gif

Reilly
11-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Heh-heh.

Neat that the U's brand made it all the way to Australia to turn Crocodile Dundee into a fan.