PDA

View Full Version : Duke and ESPNU

rthomas
11-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Is ESPNU the required destination for Duke football and basketball? Is this part of the great media deal that the ACC made with ESPN? ESPNU is like being exiled to 1960's Siberia.

At least 5 of the Duke football games have been on ESPNU and 8, including the next 3, basketball games are scheduled for ESPNU.

Seriously, ESPNU is the ONLY sports related channel that I don not get in Hi-def. And it sucks. It is like watching TV through a cataract filter.

I'm thankful that Duke is on TV but it seems like Duke could've done better with their TV deal.

Rant over.

Dukehky
11-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Is ESPNU the required destination for Duke football and basketball? Is this part of the great media deal that the ACC made with ESPN? ESPNU is like being exiled to 1960's Siberia.

At least 5 of the Duke football games have been on ESPNU and 8, including the next 3, basketball games are scheduled for ESPNU.

Seriously, ESPNU is the ONLY sports related channel that I don not get in Hi-def. And it sucks. It is like watching TV through a cataract filter.

I'm thankful that Duke is on TV but it seems like Duke could've done better with their TV deal.

Rant over.

The big basketball games are not on the U. However, you still have to purchase the U, and Duke has a big national audience, so ESPN puts the lower level games that aren't going to get huge amounts of outside interest in on the U knowing Duke fans will get it almost just to watch those 8 games (that's why I have it). In regards to the non-HD espnu you have, you have DISH don't you?

rthomas
11-16-2013, 09:53 AM
The big basketball games are not on the U. However, you still have to purchase the U, and Duke has a big national audience, so ESPN puts the lower level games that aren't going to get huge amounts of outside interest in on the U knowing Duke fans will get it almost just to watch those 8 games (that's why I have it). In regards to the non-HD espnu you have, you have DISH don't you?

yes, Dish.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Rant over.

I suspect that they do this, in part, to drive demands on providers to get the U inHD.

I remember when ESPN-2 came out (small cap typewriter font, anyone?) and they put a Duke-UNC hoops game on the deuce. It helped bring that network to my provider, I am sure, when they got hundreds of calls about it.

fuse
11-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Changing the dialog a little bit. How do those that " cut the cord" watch Duke basketball?
I've not gone the Hulu, GetGlue, etc route but the key driver for holding on to cable is a Duke basketball.

Does goduke.com or other sources stream a good HD feed?

Skitzle
11-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Changing the dialog a little bit. How do those that " cut the cord" watch Duke basketball?
I've not gone the Hulu, GetGlue, etc route but the key driver for holding on to cable is a Duke basketball.

Does goduke.com or other sources stream a good HD feed?

I live in Istanbul. I've got a VPN and piggy back off my fathers/brothers cable accounts to get access to watch ESPN (VPN needed as I need to show that I'm in the states.)

If you're in the states a close friends/family members cable account info will get you watchespn access, but thats the most I can tell you...

atomicdukie
11-16-2013, 01:42 PM
If you don't mind waiting, you can watch the replays usually on ESPN 3 after the game is over even it was originally broadcasted on ESPNU

Jim3k
11-16-2013, 02:05 PM
If you don't mind waiting, you can watch the replays usually on ESPN 3 after the game is over even it was originally broadcasted on ESPNU

If your IP offers ESPN3. Many of the smaller providers do not.