PDA

View Full Version : Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones... WELCOME TO DUKE!!

JasonEvans
11-15-2013, 04:10 PM
YES!!!!!

NYBri
11-15-2013, 04:11 PM
This is great news. Jabari, you wanna stick and play with these guys?

GO DUKE!

superdave
11-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Great choice! Now back to practice!

Kedsy
11-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Exciting news. It would be even more exciting if we could look forward to more than one season of them, but I'll take this.

GGLC
11-15-2013, 04:12 PM
They're going to be very happy here.

stillcrazie
11-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Now back to my dissertation.

BluBones
11-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Woo hoo, indeed.

Now, next play.

dukebballcamper90-91
Welcome! This is huge. WOW!!!!!!

theschwartz
Awesomeness! Great announcement, very understated, very classy. And it turns out they're playing each other in a month. I don't normally watch high school hoops but I'll be catching that game for sure.

NYBri
11-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Thx.

dukedoc
Welcome to the family! Two more great players, students, and gentlemen in the fold. Awesome.

Tucknut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWe2ypTjxk8

Karl Beem
11-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Yes Mr. Parker. Don't let JAH have your number.

Troublemaker
11-15-2013, 04:18 PM
So happy for us, as fans, but so happy for Jahlil and Tyus as well. Great choice playing for a legend who will help them mature into men and develop as basketball players. Oh, not a bad education, either, should they decide to finish a degree. And all the networking they'll do with the special students, faculty, and Duke alumnni.

mr. synellinden
11-15-2013, 04:20 PM
This is great news. Jabari, you wanna stick and play with these guys?

GO DUKE!

And how about you, too, Rodney?

Jahlil and Tyus, welcome to the Duke family. It will benefit you both for the rest of your lives.

Eakane
11-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Hey, we had it all the time. (Can now stop sweating)

Great to have them on board and part of the family.

Now, can we get back to this year's team?!

Ichabod Drain
11-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Thumbs Up! Let's Do This!!!!!!!:cool:

dukebballcamper90-91
11-15-2013, 04:30 PM
In Dickie V's voice..... Are you serious

-bdbd
11-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Just awesome. Such a great day to be a Devil fan!!

Was watching Jones on the ESPNU feed. He seems like such a good, humble kid. Well spoken as well. It will be great having him to represent us. Watching, you get the deep sense of relief these kids feel getting the decision "off their chest."

Did I say that this is a great day to be a Blue Devil fan??!

:D :D :D :D

conmanlhughes
11-15-2013, 04:33 PM
stanely Johnson to Arizona... gives us a better chance for Winslow, right?

Ichabod Drain
11-15-2013, 04:34 PM
K strikes again...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azOexjPaKAk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DazOexjPaKAk

elvis14
11-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Yes! This really makes my day. I really like our current team and it's looking like I'm going to really like next year's team as well (of course I could say that every year). Big win!!!! Great job Coach K!

jacone21
11-15-2013, 04:42 PM

JasonEvans
11-15-2013, 04:44 PM
K strikes again...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azOexjPaKAk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DazOexjPaKAk

Holy !%!%!%%! That may be the greatest video in the history of the internet!

Or at least the best one I have watched today ;)

Here it is embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azOexjPaKAk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DazOexjPaKAk&app=desktop

-Jason "hysterical stuff!" Evans

UrinalCake
11-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Gonna have to make room for more.

http://imgc.artprintimages.com/images/art-print/duke-university-duke-basketball-national-championship-banners_i-G-65-6545-YKW4100Z.jpg

bbosbbos
11-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Add 2014 and 2015, thanks

Gonna have to make room for more.

http://imgc.artprintimages.com/images/art-print/duke-university-duke-basketball-national-championship-banners_i-G-65-6545-YKW4100Z.jpg

dukedoc
11-15-2013, 05:00 PM
I didn't get to watch - did Jahlil and Tyus sign LOIs today?

_Gary
11-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Welcome to Duke, Mr. Okafor and Mr. Jones. Two great young men that I believe will represent the University well, and just happen to be great players to boot. :)

Two other notes from the ESPN Recruiting special. First, let me express my undying thanks to Jason Williams for calling out Alexander on the unclassy hat bait and switch. Second, I love the kid going to Arizona, Stanley Johnson. What a great personality! Even though he's not going to be a Blue Devil, I wish him nothing but the absolute best!

DBFAN
11-15-2013, 05:03 PM
I was keeping up via twitter today. Does anyone have a link to the video of the announcement actually to tell the truth I refuse to watch live announcement since the Barnes incident. That way I just don't get a bad idea about a kid I never met

Dukehky
11-15-2013, 05:10 PM
I was keeping up via twitter today. Does anyone have a link to the video of the announcement actually to tell the truth I refuse to watch live announcement since the Barnes incident. That way I just don't get a bad idea about a kid I never met

It will be on ESPN.Com before the night's out.

JasonEvans
11-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Add 2014 and 2015, thanks

Not one... not two... not three...

Ok, that's enough of that !#@^!@^&

-Jason "I feel dirty even thinking that way" Evans

miramar
11-15-2013, 05:19 PM

"What happened to the days when everybody said that I was a better recruiter?"

mkirsh
11-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Not one... not two... not three...

Ok, that's enough of that !#@^!@^&

-Jason "I feel dirty even thinking that way" Evans

Despite the nonsense they did get at least 2 and still counting

duke blue brewcrew
11-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Will Winslow be the icing on the 2014 Duke recruiting cake? I sure hope so!

Troublemaker
11-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Got this off twitter. Duke students huddling around a laptop to hear announcement: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZJC4ciIMAA-vUG.jpg

Welcome to the family, Jahlil and Tyus!

ncexnyc
11-15-2013, 05:21 PM
So today we got the Treat instead of the Trick, awesome!

ChillinDuke
11-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Welcome, boys!!!

I trust you won't regret your decision.

- Chillin

lotusland
11-15-2013, 05:32 PM
is not to watch. Had a couple of late Friday afternoon business fires and customer panic attacks to deal with so I just got back to check on the outcome and it's AWESOME baby!

Now to open a frosty beverage, order a pizza and read IC and Cats Pause for a warm-up to tonight's games;)

DavidBenAkiva
11-15-2013, 05:35 PM
G - T. Jones (FR)
G- Cook (SR)
SF - Hood (JR)
PF - Jefferson (JR)
C - Okafor (FR)

Bench:
Guards - Sulaimon (JR), M. Jones (SO), Allen (FR)
Forwards - Murphy (JR), Ojeleye (SO)
Centers - Plumlee (FR)

If Parker sticks around, put him in for Jefferson at PF
If Winslow commits, I think he becomes a 7th man after Sulaimon

WOWOWOWOOWOWOW that is a talented group!

ncexnyc
11-15-2013, 05:41 PM
G - T. Jones (FR)
G- Cook (SR)
SF - Hood (JR)
PF - Jefferson (JR)
C - Okafor (FR)

Bench:
Guards - Sulaimon (JR), M. Jones (SO), Allen (FR)
Forwards - Murphy (JR), Ojeleye (SO)
Centers - Plumlee (FR)

If Parker sticks around, put him in for Jefferson at PF
If Winslow commits, I think he becomes a 7th man after Sulaimon

WOWOWOWOOWOWOW that is a talented group!
Yes, you're definitely jumping the gun on this one.

Henderson
11-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes, you're definitely jumping the gun on this one.

Yep. Too early to predict that Marshall will revert to the FR class. ;)

Lots of talent this year, with a full season ahead and a game tonight. But we won't be lacking for conversation topics for a year or so, that's for sure.

G man
11-15-2013, 05:56 PM
I am so excited great day now the team needs a W

weezie
11-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Now to open a frosty beverage, order a pizza and read IC and Cats Pause for a warm-up to tonight's games;)

Ah yes, another hot shower of hatred after a long hard day at work. hahahahahah:cool: Or at the mall, getting new make up, hey it's harder than it looks!

ChicagoCrazy84
11-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Amazing news!!! Even though most experts were already saying it and expecting it, until I heard them say it themselves, I was nervous about losing another big man to someone else...

I can't help but think, how epic would a starting lineup be of:

PG- Quinn Cook
SG- Rasheed Sulaimon
SF- Rodney Hood
PF- Jabari Parker
C- Jahlil Okafor

weezie
11-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Duke football on Sports Center and here I am waiting on the report about our hoops signees soon to follow. 6:45pm

This is some crazy times, it be....

mattman91
11-15-2013, 06:39 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1347111.html Here is a video of Okafor's announcement. Sorry if this has already been shared.

subzero02
11-15-2013, 06:40 PM
We might've lost to Kansas 94-83 on Tuesday night but we beat them 2-0 today :-)

Henderson
11-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Watching the Okafor and Jones announcements, then watching the Alexander announcement made me proud on several levels.

1 24 90
11-15-2013, 07:00 PM
I didn't get to watch - did Jahlil and Tyus sign LOIs today?

I saw this on twitter http://t.co/pD9E0Kmokj

NYBri
11-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Duke football on Sports Center and here I am waiting on the report about our hoops signees soon to follow. 6:45pm

This is some crazy times, it be....

Same here!

DukeDevil
11-15-2013, 08:26 PM
If you want a different lineup for THIS year if we're imagining people not going to the NBA...

2013/2014

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - Rasheed Sulaimon
SF - Rodney Hood
PF - Jabari Parker
C - Jefferson

Amazing news!!! Even though most experts were already saying it and expecting it, until I heard them say it themselves, I was nervous about losing another big man to someone else...

I can't help but think, how epic would a starting lineup be of:

PG- Quinn Cook
SG- Rasheed Sulaimon
SF- Rodney Hood
PF- Jabari Parker
C- Jahlil Okafor

Cameron
11-15-2013, 08:32 PM
We've landed the No. 1 player in the country (we'll count Wiggins as Canadian) each of the last two years. Coach K is stocking up for one last great stand. Let's hope it's a long battle. Life is good.

We Are Duke.

kAzE
11-15-2013, 09:08 PM
I just woke up (I'm in China) . . . gonna have to watch the FAU game on replay. But this made my weekend already!!! Hallelujah!!

weezie
11-15-2013, 09:10 PM
we are duke.

and here we come!

OldPhiKap
11-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the family, gents!

Troublemaker
11-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Tweet from the postgame presser:

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 17m

Not all the letters of intent have come in. In general, K said, "Three years of work. Good day."

BD80
11-16-2013, 09:29 AM
In the USA Today article:

"Givony said Okafor's measurements were 6-11 (in shoes), 277 pounds and with a 7-foot-6 wing span"

I've heard comparisons to Elton, but they may have been selling Jahlil "short."

"Meyer said Jones' basketball I.Q. is as good as any player he has scouted in the past decade. ... Jones reminds him of a cross between Steve Nash and Tony Parker. And specifically how Jones handles the ball and maneuvers into the lane, Parker is an apt comparison"

GGLC

Could Cook/Jones be the next version of Williams/Duhon?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/11/15/jahlil-okafor-tyus-jones-duke-recruits-mike-krzyzewski/3592737/

Dukehky
11-16-2013, 09:49 AM
In the USA Today article:

"Givony said Okafor's measurements were 6-11 (in shoes), 277 pounds and with a 7-foot-6 wing span"

I've heard comparisons to Elton, but they may have been selling Jahlil "short."

"Meyer said Jones' basketball I.Q. is as good as any player he has scouted in the past decade. ... Jones reminds him of a cross between Steve Nash and Tony Parker. And specifically how Jones handles the ball and maneuvers into the lane, Parker is an apt comparison"

GGLC

Could Cook/Jones be the next version of Williams/Duhon?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/11/15/jahlil-okafor-tyus-jones-duke-recruits-mike-krzyzewski/3592737/

In the sense that they could start beside each other only. If either Quinn or Tyus ended up being better than Williams or Duhon, then that would be incredible. Before people jump all over the place saying Jones is going to be better than Duhon, think very carefully. Chris was the ultimate sacrificer when it came to his time at Duke. Kid wanted to win, he could have put up numbers if he wanted.

Billy Dat
11-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Welcome to Duke, Mr. Okafor and Mr. Jones. Two great young men that I believe will represent the University well, and just happen to be great players to boot. :)

Two other notes from the ESPN Recruiting special. First, let me express my undying thanks to Jason Williams for calling out Alexander on the unclassy hat bait and switch. Second, I love the kid going to Arizona, Stanley Johnson. What a great personality! Even though he's not going to be a Blue Devil, I wish him nothing but the absolute best!

First off, let me add my voice to the happy chorus. What a great recruiting win!

Having suffered through the Black Pidgeon skype debacle, I vowed to never watch another recruiting press conference. That being said, there I was at 4PM and at the last possible second I chickened-out, hit record on the DVR, and turned off the TV. I couldn't take it. I waited 5 minutes, took a deep breath, and launched Twitter to a delerious volley of happy Duke-related tweets. Can I point out that I am 41 years old. #getalife, #butIcan't, #hopeless

Anyway, I also want to echo Gary's words about Stanley Johnson. Too many big time players feel that they have to go with the stone faced, dour, hard-guy persona. Maybe its just nerves. Johnson was so charming and "up", he reminded me in looks and personality of our own beloved Nolan Smith. Meanwhile, the Alexander presser was a disaster. Not only did he do that really distasteful picking up of the Illinois hat, but then he seemed to implode. He couldn't hear very well, but then it seemed like emotion took over and he could only manage a few monotone mumbles. Sometimes these kids bite off a little more than they can chew with these media events.

That being said,. with Oubre and Alexander, Self and Kansas should have nothing to feel bad about. They will be loaded next year.

Clay Feet POF
11-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Keep the Faith!!!

79-77
11-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Boy, Coach K's commitment to Team USA has really hurt Duke's recruiting, innit?

Holy mackerel.

I am curious as to how it's going to play out with Cook, though. He's probably feeling some mixed emotions today.

Potato Head
11-16-2013, 11:45 AM

Holy mackerel.

I am am curious as to how it's going to play out with Cook, though. He's probably feeling some mixed emotions today.

If Hood and Parker leave, there will still be easily 30+ guard minutes/game available for him to take. If either/both of them stay, he can be a valuable role player on the best team in the country, assuming he doesn't beat out Jones for primary PG duties.

gocanes0506
11-16-2013, 12:03 PM

Holy mackerel.

I am curious as to how it's going to play out with Cook, though. He's probably feeling some mixed emotions today.

IMO his minutes will still 25+ minutes

Starting

Cook, tyus, hood, Parker, okafor

Next sub

Cook, sul, Murphy, Jefferson, plumlee/semi

Next sub

Tyus, jones, hood, Parker, okafor

Then obviously things get a lot more muddy if Parker and/or hood leave. I'll go on record with I believe Parker is more likely to leave than hood. With how deep the draft is Hood will not be a lottery pick. Maybe not even not top 20. Yes the mock has him at 11 but I think he will fall as freshman improve like seldon

jimsumner
11-16-2013, 12:05 PM
If Hood and Parker leave, there will still be easily 30+ guard minutes/game available for him to take. If either/both of them stay, he can be a valuable role player on the best team in the country, assuming he doesn't beat out Jones for primary PG duties.

Parker's a guard? Did you mean Dawkins? And/or Thornton?

My assumption is that a Cook-T. Jones backcourt can work as well as the Jason Williams-Chris Duhon backcourt. That pushes Sulaimon to the 3. That's a small perimeter but having Okakfor inside should help ameliorate any deficiencies in that area, while giving Duke a pretty impressive perimeter rotation.

Potato Head
11-16-2013, 12:10 PM

My assumption is that a Cook-T. Jones backcourt can work as well as the Jason Williams-Chris Duhon backcourt. That pushes Sulaimon to the 3. That's a small perimeter but having Okakfor inside should help ameliorate any deficiencies in that area, while giving Duke a pretty impressive perimeter rotation.

That's what I mean. Without Parker or Hood, Sulaimon moves to the 3. Also some of our bigger guards like Jones or Allen might play some 3 as well, leaving plenty of minutes for Cook at SG.

79-77
11-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Interesting. I was kinda thinking that Hood would return and play the 3, with Jefferson at the 4 and Okafor at the 5. And while it's certainly possible that Cook outplays Sulaimon and gets the other guard spot, I kinda expect Sulaimon to win that battle -- leaving Cook outside the starting 5. If Hood turns pro, though, you are probably right.

moonpie23
11-16-2013, 01:06 PM
pleasantly, i got distracted about 2pm and didn't even THINK about it till about 5:30….I immediately logged on to be greeted with this thread title and jumped for joy. My assistant, an app state kid, and nc state fan was less than enthusiastic……his sarcastic remark was... "oh you got some more top guys? oh wow"……

WELCOME TO DUKE GUYS !!!!

moonpie23
11-16-2013, 01:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3YhUW2MGRE

pretty awesome.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-16-2013, 01:34 PM

I think Cook could slide over to the SG slot and thrive in that role next year. Cook's at his best when he's aggressive but not out of control. He frequently struggles with balancing scoring vs. passing. Perhaps having a pass-first PG out there with him will keep Cook focused on what I think he does best, and that's score.

Hood, if he becomes a lock for the 1st round, I believe would go to the draft. This is his 3rd year in college, after all.

DukieInBrasil
11-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Interesting. I was kinda thinking that Hood would return and play the 3, with Jefferson at the 4 and Okafor at the 5. And while it's certainly possible that Cook outplays Sulaimon and gets the other guard spot, I kinda expect Sulaimon to win that battle -- leaving Cook outside the starting 5. If Hood turns pro, though, you are probably right.

Cook will not be "outside the starting 5". He is merely averaging 13 pts, 3.3 rebs and 6.7 assists with an entirely sub-standard 5:1 a:to raio. Granted, we've only played 1 high quality team, 1 quality team and 1 mediocre team so far, but Quinn has played well so far.
Quinn wasn't the best PG prospect in his class, but he wasn't chump-change either, and he was far from adequate to lead the team as the PG his Fr. season. Don't be surprised if Jones is an excellent player but takes a secondary role when it comes to the PG position. Jones should be the lead PG when Cook is resting and could very well be the co-PG when Cook is in. Even if both play 30mpg that leaves 20mpg when both are not on the court at the same time, and 20mpg when they both are. Other permutations are possible of course, but i just don't see Quinn Cook not starting next year.

gurufrisbee
11-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm thinking the starting five is likely Jones, Cook, Hood, Jefferson, and Okafor.

Sulamin is the 6th man who will play as much as any of them since he can come in when anyone sits other than Okafor.

(I'm assuming of course Hairston, Thornton, Dawkins, and Parker are gone although if I was Parker and not going to be #1 in the draft due to Wiggins/Randle/Gordon I would think about staying for a title run)

Plumlee is the first big man off the bench. Semi and Murphy give us forwards in reserve. Allen and Jones boost the already crazy deep backcourt.

Sounds like a team ready to run for the title....

Cameron
11-16-2013, 09:02 PM
The only way Rasheed is not in the starting lineup next season is if he is making millions of dollars in the NBA. Kid is projected to go mid-20s in the 2014 NBA draft. If he comes back for one more year, there's a very real chance Rasheed could play himself into a lottery pick.

He's the most talented all-around guard this team has and that won't change next season, even with Tyus Jones on our roster.

FerryFor50
11-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Cook will not be "outside the starting 5". He is merely averaging 13 pts, 3.3 rebs and 6.7 assists with an entirely sub-standard 5:1 a:to raio. Granted, we've only played 1 high quality team, 1 quality team and 1 mediocre team so far, but Quinn has played well so far.
Quinn wasn't the best PG prospect in his class, but he wasn't chump-change either, and he was far from adequate to lead the team as the PG his Fr. season. Don't be surprised if Jones is an excellent player but takes a secondary role when it comes to the PG position. Jones should be the lead PG when Cook is resting and could very well be the co-PG when Cook is in. Even if both play 30mpg that leaves 20mpg when both are not on the court at the same time, and 20mpg when they both are. Other permutations are possible of course, but i just don't see Quinn Cook not starting next year.

I think it's more likely that Jones comes off the bench. Sulaimon will start next year if he sticks around.

NSDukeFan
11-16-2013, 09:12 PM

pretty awesome.

I am going to love watching him play for Duke. I don't know who will be more fun to watch, Jahlil or Tyus. Very exciting.

JPtheGame
11-17-2013, 12:42 AM

pretty awesome.

But that spin move tho!
Whats the Duke single season record for dunks?

NSDukeFan
11-17-2013, 07:36 AM
But that spin move tho!
Whats the Duke single season record for dunks?

Mason May be able to let you know.

Troublemaker
11-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks, Jahlil looks incredible in that video.

Here's a fresh Tyus video, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWgGkIQR77o

Both of those guys have such large hands and incredible ball control.

Here's a vid of the Crazies reacting after Jahlil and Tyus announce for Duke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_0zqfVMDfU

79-77
11-17-2013, 11:29 PM

Easy, friend. Not trying to troll or otherwise be inflammatory. And you could certainly be right. I just think the most likely outcome is that (i) Hood returns and plays 32+ minutes per game at the 3, leaving Cook, Jones and Sulaimon to battle it out for starting slots and minutes at the 2 guard spots and (ii) Jones and Sulaimon end up winning the top 2 slots (although the third-place guy will play a lot, Cook won't give up easy and there will probably be a fair amount of back-and-forth over the course of the season).

Of course the calculus changes if Hood or Sulaimon (or Cook for that matter) turns pro, but hopefully that won't be the case.

I think there is effectively zero chance that Parker comes back, BTW.

El_Diablo
11-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Jahlil's post-announcement thanks at his high school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnmjQcnnUJ0

Warning--it's hard not to tear up a little watching this.

Kedsy
11-18-2013, 12:18 AM
I just think the most likely outcome is that (i) Hood returns...

Why do you think Rodney coming back is the most likely outcome? Most people seem to think the possibility is slim.

JPtheGame
11-18-2013, 12:39 AM
I think Rodney is gone. 1st round gets it done. Differently family resources.
This guy will be around though:
http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/heres-a-cool-video-of-jabari-parkers-2013-dunk-and-grant-hills-1991-dunk-side-by-side

tommy
11-18-2013, 12:39 AM
I think it's more likely that Jones comes off the bench. Sulaimon will start next year if he sticks around.You probably haven't seen Tyus play and/or probably don't realize just how good he is. There is virtually no chance he doesn't start.

Duvall
11-18-2013, 12:56 AM
You probably haven't seen Tyus play and/or probably don't realize just how good he is. There is virtually no chance he doesn't start.

Perhaps. Then again, most players look good against AAU defense.

Olympic Fan
11-18-2013, 01:17 AM
You probably haven't seen Tyus play and/or probably don't realize just how good he is. There is virtually no chance he doesn't start.

A little early for this debate, but why are you guys so certain that Jones AND Rasheed won't both start ... along with Quinn. Remember we went all last season with Quinn, Rasheed and Seth all starting.

Put me down as one who strong believes Mr. Jones will be starting most, if not all, of next season. He's THAT good.

kAzE
11-18-2013, 01:39 AM
+1 for Tyus Jones starting. I wouldn't even rule out the possibility of Cook coming off the bench as a senior. It seems unlikely, but We know Coach K goes with the best lineup, regardless of seniority, so it's definitely not out of the question.

79-77
11-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Why do you think Rodney coming back is the most likely outcome? Most people seem to think the possibility is slim.

Very fair question. I'm just basing this on my amateur perspective and a much-too-small sample size, primarily the Kansas game (although I did see the Davidson game too).

I think Hood has plenty of skill, but he'll need to show more against high-end opponents (which could certainly happen as this season unfolds) in order for turning pro after this season to make sense for him. He could also stand to build up his body a bit but I don't think that would by itself hold him back.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-18-2013, 11:22 AM
If you want a different lineup for THIS year if we're imagining people not going to the NBA...

2013/2014

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - Rasheed Sulaimon
SF - Rodney Hood
PF - Jabari Parker
C - Jefferson

Wouldn't it be this?

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - Austin Rivers
SF - Rodney Hood
PF - Jabari Parker
C - Jefferson

GGLC
11-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Wouldn't it be this?

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - Austin Rivers
SF - Rodney Hood
PF - Jabari Parker
C - Jefferson

Nah. I liked it the first way better. :p

79-77
11-18-2013, 11:54 AM
+1 for Tyus Jones starting. I wouldn't even rule out the possibility of Cook coming off the bench as a senior. It seems unlikely, but We know Coach K goes with the best lineup, regardless of seniority, so it's definitely not out of the question.

+1, and this is why I mentioned the possibility that Cook might have mixed feelings about the recruiting bonanza.

flyingdutchdevil
11-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Nah. I liked it the first way better. :p

GGLC - for once, we agree!

GGLC
11-18-2013, 01:44 PM
GGLC - for once, we agree!

We agree that Nolan's jersey should be hanging in the rafters, too.

Cameron
11-18-2013, 01:48 PM

There's no doubt about that. In fact, the last time this happened to one of our senior point guards, he eventually had to go play quarterback at Syracuse just to find some minutes.

Thank goodness Andre seems to be back in the mix, because I could not have gone through another Greg Paulus situation again. Paulus was my guy during that time period and it absolutely killed me inside to see his career play out the way it ultimately did. The staff has to do what they think is best for the team, I get that. But that doesn't make it any less difficult to watch.

In this particular situation, I think things will work themselves out much more smoothly. Cook is a great player, who has athleticism, can play defense and can score in a variety of ways -- from outside, off the dribble, mid-range floater, etc. Whether he starts or not, he'll be a significant factor as a senior and will play major minutes.

flyingdutchdevil
11-18-2013, 01:54 PM
There's no doubt about that. In fact, the last time this happened to one of our senior point guards, he eventually had to go play quarterback at Syracuse just to find some minutes.

Thank goodness Andre seems to be back in the mix, because I could not have gone through another Greg Paulus situation again. Paulus was my guy during that time period and it absolutely killed me inside to see his career play out the way it ultimately did. The staff has to do what they think is best for the team, I get that. But that doesn't make it any less difficult to watch.

In this particular situation, I think things will work themselves out much more smoothly. Cook is a great player, who has athleticism, can play defense and can score in a variety of ways -- from outside, off the dribble, mid-range floater, etc. Whether he starts or not, he'll be a significant factor as a senior and will play major minutes.

I agree with you. But Cook isn't Paulus at all. They are actually very different players. Paulus's injuries and complete lack of defense (despite giving it his all) led to his lack of playing time. Cook's D isn't 100%, but it's not a liability like Paulus's. Also, Cook can effectively drive when there is an opening.

I'd be shocked if Cook didn't start next year. He is leading this year's team in minutes, despite having both Thornton and Sulaimon (who can play some 1) on the team. Also, Quinn will be the only senior next year and be relied on for leadership.

I'm not saying that Tyus won't start (not saying he will start), but I am saying that I'd be shocked - shocked I tell you! - if Cook didn't start.

Kedsy
11-18-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm not saying that Tyus won't start (not saying he will start), but I am saying that I'd be shocked - shocked I tell you! - if Cook didn't start.

I'll be pretty surprised if they don't both start.

Cameron
11-18-2013, 02:52 PM
I agree with you. But Cook isn't Paulus at all. They are actually very different players. Paulus's injuries and complete lack of defense (despite giving it his all) led to his lack of playing time. Cook's D isn't 100%, but it's not a liability like Paulus's. Also, Cook can effectively drive when there is an opening.

Agreed on all counts. See my last paragraph in my above post. :)

I'd be shocked if Cook didn't start next year. He is leading this year's team in minutes, despite having both Thornton and Sulaimon (who can play some 1) on the team. Also, Quinn will be the only senior next year and be relied on for leadership.

I also agree with this. I do think that Quinn will start and that he will at least share time with Tyus at point guard (if Tyus is in fact our starting point guard next year, as some here suggest). He's been our guy for the last full year now and so far this season he's played well and IMO has shown signs that he is getting better. Still some work to do, especially with regard to just playing more under control and seeing the entire court -- Quinn often seems like a racehorse with blinders on when charging down the court. Once he takes those off, he will be a near unstoppable force, because he has the tools to be a full service point guard. He can dish, shoot the outside and mid-range jumper, and, maybe most importantly, he can score off the bounce and get into the middle of the defense with ease. Which totally opens up our offense and keeps the opposition honest.

flyingdutchdevil
11-18-2013, 02:59 PM
I also agree with this. I do think that Quinn will start and that he will at least share time with Tyus at point guard (if Tyus is in fact our starting point guard next year, as some here suggest). He's been our guy for the last full year now and so far this season he's played well and IMO has shown signs that he is getting better. Still some work to do, especially with regard to just playing more under control and seeing the entire court -- Quinn often seems like a racehorse with blinders on when charging down the court. Once he takes those off, he will be a near unstoppable force, because he has the tools to be a full service point guard. He can dish, shoot the outside and mid-range jumper, and, maybe most importantly, he can score off the bounce and get into the middle of the defense with ease. Which totally opens up our offense and keeps the opposition honest.

I think you're right, but in the bolded part, I hear "Turnoevers! Turnovers!". And that's one area where Quinn just can't improve - his A-to-T ratio is 6.7/1.3, or 5.2! Insane.

I think he needs to do a better job reading his defender. His triple-threat isn't so threatening, but I only expect this to get better. If Quinn can drive when he's supposed to, shoot when he's supposed to, and pass when he's supposed to, he'll be a top 2 PG in college ball instead of being a top 10 PG (which he is already).

Troublemaker
11-18-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm rooting for a Sulaimon, Matt Jones, Winslow starting perimeter next season so everyone can be wrong :-)

It's too soon to predict anything with conviction, imo, and I would certainly bet the field against any single permutation.

Cameron
11-18-2013, 03:15 PM
I think you're right, but in the bolded part, I hear "Turnoevers! Turnovers!". And that's one area where Quinn just can't improve - his A-to-T ratio is 6.7/1.3, or 5.2! Insane.

I think he needs to do a better job reading his defender. His triple-threat isn't so threatening, but I only expect this to get better. If Quinn can drive when he's supposed to, shoot when he's supposed to, and pass when he's supposed to, he'll be a top 2 PG in college ball instead of being a top 10 PG (which he is already).

Exactly. That's what I was speaking to more than to turnovers. There were several instances during the KU game alone where Quinn sort of seemed to put his head down and race up the floor with a one-track mind to score, ultimately resulting in a missed basket in traffic or a dead end whereupon the offense had to be reset, when the more efficient option would have been to kick the ball to one of our primary shooters on the wing who was waving his hands like a ramp agent on an airport runway for either an open three or a cut to baseline before his defender was properly set.

That's the one main area where I'd like to see him improve. Other than that, I really like the kid as our point guard and think it's his position (at least in part) as long as he's here.

sagegrouse
11-18-2013, 03:27 PM
I'll be pretty surprised if they don't both start.

In fact, Coach K has the potential next year to drive this Board screaming mad with a starting lineup of Okafor, Matt Jones, Rasheed, Quinn and Tyus. It would be a killer offense against some people, but those of us on this Board tend to find comfort in players with height.

sagegrouse

timmy c
11-18-2013, 03:34 PM
In fact, Coach K has the potential next year to drive this Board screaming mad with a starting lineup of Okafor, Matt Jones, Rasheed, Quinn and Tyus. It would be a killer offense against some people, but those of us on this Board tend to find comfort in players with height.

sagegrouse

Is this the .... Oak-a-four dwarves?!?:p

Indoor66
11-18-2013, 06:25 PM

Thanks for that and you are right about the tears. I admire this young man even more as a person than as a basketball player. I look forward to seeing him in Duke Blue.

johnb
11-18-2013, 11:14 PM

this video is intensely lovely.

I guess Jabari, like Kyrie and Luol, is probably too good to stick for a second year, but I still think the likelihood of a second year is much higher then 0%--he does seem like a kid who doesn't always conform to expectation.

Furniture
11-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Nice sense of humour! Sorry if it's been posted before...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDaAr0SaksI

NYBri
11-19-2013, 12:19 AM
We agree that Nolan's jersey should be hanging in the rafters, too.

I agree three.

kAzE
11-19-2013, 12:32 AM
this video is intensely lovely.

I guess Jabari, like Kyrie and Luol, is probably too good to stick for a second year, but I still think the likelihood of a second year is much higher then 0%--he does seem like a kid who doesn't always conform to expectation.

Yep, I agree, Jabari seems like he could pull a Marcus Smart and come back for another year, with the chance to play with him homeboy Okafor and the Tony Parker-esque Tyus Jones, and be the no-brainer favorites to win it all. No idea what the chances of that are, but I'm holding on to a small amount of hope that it happens. First things first though, we have a great chance to win it all this year, so let's just enjoy watching Parker this year, and whatever happens, happens. Either way, we've got 2 amazingly talented players and great people coming to Duke next year.

billyj
11-19-2013, 03:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUlvjPz3Gjs

Found this video, Jabari vs Jahlil. Still can't believe it, both of them will be Duke.

flyingdutchdevil
11-19-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUlvjPz3Gjs

Found this video, Jabari vs Jahlil. Still can't believe it, both of them will be Duke.

Hopefully together.