PDA

View Full Version : The Coastal Division race

Olympic Fan
11-13-2013, 04:38 PM
I was looking at possibilities today and realized something bizarre ... as of this moment, not one of the four contenders to represent the Coastal Division has its fate in its own hands.

All four need help.

Georgia Tech can beat Clemson Thursday night to finish 6-2 in the ACC, but the Jackets still need Miami and Virginia Tech to lose one more game to get them to Charlotte.

Virginia Tech can get to 6-2 by beating Maryland and Virginia, but the Hokies need Duke to lose one more to get to Charlotte.

Miami can also get to 6-2 by winning its last three games, but they need Virginia Tech to lose one more game to get to Charlotte.

And Duke can get to 6-2 by beating Miami, Wake and UNC, but we need Clemson to beat Georgia Tech tomorrow night if we hope to get to Charlotte.

That's just bizarre!

Frankly, I think Virginia Tech has the best chance to make it to 6-2, but we hold their fate in our hand.

I was looking at tiebreakers in case of a logjam at 5-3, but it made my head hurt. All I can say is that most 5-3 scenarios favor Virginia Tech -- but if Duke can beat Miami en route to 5-3, the Devils would have a chance ... 5-3 with a loss to Miami and I can't see a way for the Devils.

Reilly
11-13-2013, 04:46 PM
The David Teel article linked in the bowl speculation thread showed Duke emerging with a 5-3 record if there is a 4-way tie at 5-3 between Duke, Miami, GT and VT. This would require VT to lose a game.

matt1
11-13-2013, 04:51 PM
The David Teel article linked in the bowl speculation thread showed Duke emerging with a 5-3 record if there is a 4-way tie at 5-3 between Duke, Miami, GT and VT. This would require VT to lose a game.

Yes, we would emerge because:

Duke: 2-1 (beat VT and Miami)
VT: 2-1 (beat GT and Miami)
Miami: 1-2 (beat GT)
GT: 1-2 (beat Duke)

Then, it would be the same as a 2-team tiebreaker between us and VT, which we would win by virtue of our victory in Blacksburg. This scenario also necessitates the loser of Pitt-UNC losing again. Otherwise, it could get even more messy and likely favor VT at 3-1, unless Carolina is in the tie, and our third loss is to Wake and not Carolina. We could not emerge from a 5-way tie including Pitt and GT.

chaosmage
11-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Is anyone else happy that we're able to have this discussion at all? I'm thrilled. :-)

And after looking into it myself, I'm going to need migraine meds.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Is anyone else happy that we're able to have this discussion at all? I'm thrilled. :-)

And after looking into it myself, I'm going to need migraine meds.

This is wonderful topic for November! Try exercise as an alternative to deal with the excitement and stress!

ForkFondler
11-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Either GT or Duke will pretty much be eliminated tomorrow night.

arnie
11-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Either GT or Duke will pretty much be eliminated tomorrow night.

Looks like GT will be eliminated!

devildeac
11-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Looks like GT will be eliminated!

55-24, Tigers with 9:47 to go.

It may not eliminate them if there ends up being some bizarre 3 or 4 way tie with teams at 5-3 as someone discussed upthread. Or in another thread. I can't keep all those scenarios straight:o. I'm simple minded enough to know though that if the score holds, we will control our own destiny when the clock reaches 0:00 in Death Valley tonight. Go Tigers.

duketaylor
11-14-2013, 11:09 PM
It's absolutely wonderful to even be discussing this!! I was there for Spurrier's OC days and it was fun football!! Having fball on the map is a joy!!

Reilly
11-14-2013, 11:29 PM
The Road to Charlotte:

VT 4-2 [md, @uva]
Duke 3-2 [miami, @wfu, @unc]
Mia 3-2 [@duke, uva, @pitt]
GT 5-3
UNC 3-3 [@pitt, duke]
Pitt 2-3 [unc, @syr, miami]
UVA 0-6 [@miami, vt]

OldPhiKap
11-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Whether we get there, or not, is up to us and nobody else.

This is the situation you play for all year.

Why not us?

Why not now?!?

GO DUKE!!!!

hurleyfor3
11-14-2013, 11:39 PM
So right now Duke is the only team that controls its destiny? For Duke to win the Coastal it is sufficient for Duke to win out, but for Miami to win the Coastal it is NOT sufficient for Miami to win out.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2013, 11:41 PM
So right now Duke is the only team that controls its destiny? For Duke to win the Coastal it is sufficient for Duke to win out, but for Miami to win the Coastal it is NOT sufficient for Miami to win out.

OR VT.

Take care of business, Devils!!!

ForkFondler
11-14-2013, 11:49 PM

Why not us?

Why not now?!?

GO DUKE!!!!

Be careful what you wish for.
Discretion is the better part of valor.
WTF:p

But mainly, beating the U on Saturday would be awesome no matter what follows after that.

OldPhiKap
11-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Be careful what you wish for.
Discretion is the better part of valor.
WTF:p

But mainly, beating the U on Saturday would be awesome no matter what follows after that.

"Don't fear greatness"

Better to dream high and possibly fall short, than dream small and be comforted with complacency.

Win, win, win. Then win again.

You do not get to this position very often, I don't care who you are. Gotta take advantage when you are there.

Go Duke!

Reilly
11-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Be careful what you wish for....

Live in your hopes, not in your fears.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/29/q-amp-a-with-duke-coach-david-cutcliffe#more

"We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire."

OZZIE4DUKE
11-15-2013, 01:09 AM

Why not us?

Why not now?!?

GO DUKE!!!!
Yes! Us! Now!

Olympic Fan
11-15-2013, 01:21 AM

Correct ... if Miami beats Duke and wins out, the 'Canes would finish 6-2. But Virginia Tech could also finish 6-2 and they would win the tiebreaker by virtue of their head-to-head win over Miami.

Virginia Tech could win out and finish 6-2, but if Duke also wins out, then Duke wins the tiebreaker by virtue of beating the Hokies.

So Miami and VPI both need help ... Duke is the only team with its fate in its own hands.

ForkFondler
11-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Better to dream high and possibly fall short, than dream small and be comforted with complacency.

My dream of an 11-2 season died last night. :D

CameronBornAndBred
11-15-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm of course hoping we win out and make this the most magical season ever...but in all honesty, it already is pretty close for me. After having endured years of football futility, I am absolutely loving this team continuously defying expectations. As fans of an elite basketball program, we know what it is to feel heartbreak and disappointment with the loss of just ONE game. "Can't believe we lost that game, what is wrong with our guys...blah blah blah".
So to have the opportunity to sit back and enjoy a team that continues to "overachieve" (Not in the team's minds, I'm sure, but in the pundits and everyone else's) is amazingly fun. If we lose to Miami, so be it. If we lose to the heels or Wake...so be it. I don't think that will happen; we have wins still coming our way this year. This team is setting the groundwork for when they WILL have expectations one day, and losses will be harder to swallow. This is a rare moment in the development of a program that is on the rise. I'm loving it.

graybead
11-15-2013, 09:19 AM
I agree that the fact we are even having this discussion is unbelievable. What a season! I just hope we play well tomorrow. If we win tomorrow, I will go crazy! Just the thought of beating VT and Miami in the same year is unreal. Two bowls in a row! I'm anxiously awaiting our bowl destination and follow the projections every week which is driving me even more crazy. A couple of weeks ago I was looking forward to Nashville and now it seems we may have outplayed Nashville. Now I'm worried we'll end up in El Paso, which is the only bowl I will not attend.

This is so much fun! I'm looking forward to tomorrow. GO DUKE!

Dev11
11-15-2013, 09:19 AM
During halftime last night, Mark May picked us to beat Miami. It's over.

OldPhiKap
11-15-2013, 10:20 AM
I agree that the fact we are even having this discussion is unbelievable. What a season! I just hope we play well tomorrow. If we win tomorrow, I will go crazy! Just the thought of beating VT and Miami in the same year is unreal. Two bowls in a row! I'm anxiously awaiting our bowl destination and follow the projections every week which is driving me even more crazy. A couple of weeks ago I was looking forward to Nashville and now it seems we may have outplayed Nashville. Now I'm worried we'll end up in El Paso, which is the only bowl I will not attend.

This is so much fun! I'm looking forward to tomorrow. GO DUKE!

If you make the trip, the first Juarez tattoo is on me.

sagegrouse
11-15-2013, 10:35 AM

I thought the quote of this thread, wa-a-a-y upstream, was, "New Year's Eve in Juarez? What could possibly go wrong?"

sagegrouse

nmduke2001
11-15-2013, 10:41 AM

Not to get off topic, but seriously don't go to Juarez. Most people in the US have no idea how violent it is there.

OldPhiKap
11-15-2013, 10:45 AM
I thought the quote of this thread, wa-a-a-y upstream, was, "New Year's Eve in Juarez? What could possibly go wrong?"

sagegrouse

Tats and tequila go together like beans and rice. But as Momma always warned me -- "don't wake up in a roadside ditch"

Not to get off topic, but seriously don't go to Juarez. Most people in the US have no idea how violent it is there.

Agreed.

El Paso would be the most difficult for me to get to, but if that's where we are it's where I'll be.

(Probably make a side trip to Carlsbad Caverns instead of Juarez -- always wanted to go there and New Mexico is groovy)

nmduke2001
11-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Tats and tequila go together like beans and rice. But as Momma always warned me -- "don't wake up in a roadside ditch"

Agreed.

El Paso would be the most difficult for me to get to, but if that's where we are it's where I'll be.

(Probably make a side trip to Carlsbad Caverns instead of Juarez -- always wanted to go there and New Mexico is groovy)

Carlsbad Caverns are amazing. Well worth the trip. White sands is fairly close to Carlsbad and is a really cool experience. Unfortunately, the Trinity site is only open one day a year.

alteran
11-15-2013, 11:02 AM

Since we're now discussing rampant and unpunished crime, should we merge this with the Hairston/UNC Cheating threads? :cool:

BD80
11-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Since we're now discussing rampant and unpunished crime in a hellhole, should we merge this with the Hairston/UNC Cheating threads? :cool:

Location, location, location.

devildeac
11-15-2013, 11:53 AM
My dream of an 11-2 season died last night. :D

Damn right it did. You should be thinking 12-2 right now;).

killerleft
11-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Checked the calendar again:) Having our fate in our own hands this late in the year is superb. I'm eagerly looking forward to welcoming our guys as they fly out of that tunnel with the carbon dioxide cascading down around them just before gametime. This is a great time for all Duke fans who can get there to unite at Wallace Wade and help the guys get their first win over Miami. Even as we believe that Coach Cut will continue to improve the program, this year has the potential to be as special as any year we may see for a long while!

One game at a time - Go Duke! If we can top the 'U', we still control our destiny.

Indoor66
11-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Checked the calendar again:) Having our fate in our own hands this late in the year is superb. I'm eagerly looking forward to welcoming our guys as they fly out of that tunnel with the carbon dioxide cascading down around them just before gametime. This is a great time for all Duke fans who can get there to unite at Wallace Wade and help the guys get their first win over Miami. Even as we believe that Coach Cut will continue to improve the program, this year has the potential to be as special as any year we may see for a long while!

One game at a time - Go Duke! If we can top the 'U', we still control our destiny.

And I would get to wear Duke gear to the Gym and get a rise out of all the local U fans - and there are lots of them here. :cool:

BD80
11-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Checked the calendar again:) Having our fate in our own hands this late in the year is superb. ...

And in the hunt for a BCS bowl! Smell the Oranges!

killerleft
11-15-2013, 04:19 PM
And in the hunt for a BCS bowl! Smell the Oranges!

That would be mighty nice! I'm just hoping for us to continue the dream by winning tomorrow. If we can do that, our team will face some very real pressure to get the deal done. Right now we can still claim underdog status. Can you tell I don't want to upset the weauf gods?:o

Go Duke!

Reilly
11-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Coastal scenarios (all 32 of them):

http://www.syracuse.com/patrick-stevens/index.ssf/2013/11/acc_football_weekend_rewind_al.html#incart_river

OldPhiKap
11-17-2013, 01:09 PM

http://www.syracuse.com/patrick-stevens/index.ssf/2013/11/acc_football_weekend_rewind_al.html#incart_river

Very interesting, thanks for posting this.

Wide open, but we are in the driver's seat.

Kedsy
11-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but can anyone tell me what coast is in proximity to Coastal Division schools Duke, UNC, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Virginia, and Pittsburgh? I can't find any on my map.

77devil
11-17-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but can anyone tell me what coast is in proximity to Coastal Division schools Duke, UNC, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Virginia, and Pittsburgh? I can't find any on my map.

The east coast, of course, is clearly more proximate than the gulf or west coasts.

brevity
11-17-2013, 01:37 PM

Hey now. Splitting the Atlantic Coast Conference into an Atlantic Division and Coastal Division, while repetitive, makes sense. It's not like we're asking which 7 schools have Legends and which have Leaders.

Reilly
11-17-2013, 01:42 PM
So our path:

- win out; or
- lose to WFU, beat UNC, and have Miami beat UVa and Pitt

So if we trip up against WFU, we're all fans of the inventors of swagger.

JasonEvans
11-17-2013, 02:48 PM

So even though Carolina can get into some of the big 5-3 ties at the top of the division, they cannot win any of the tiebreakers.

Good.

-Jason "odds they make up a T-shirt and banner if they find themselves in a 4-way tie for first? 90% or higher" Evans

BD80
11-17-2013, 03:05 PM
So even though Carolina can get into some of the big 5-3 ties at the top of the division, they cannot win any of the tiebreakers.

Good.

-Jason "odds they make up a T-shirt and banner if they find themselves in a 4-way tie for first? 90% or higher" Evans

Odds that the banner is misspelled?

devildeac
11-17-2013, 03:19 PM

You crossed my eyes and gave me a major headache posting that, but thanks for sharing. Seriously. I believe we all like the best "tiebreaker" scenario and that is no tiebreaker because we win our next two games:). Wake has been a thorn for years and who knows what circumstances beyond our control could happen in chappaheeya if they sniff a division tie with a win over us........

devildeac
11-17-2013, 03:23 PM

Good.

I think they awarded rings (AFAM degrees and assorted bakery items;):rolleyes:) when they tied last year and were on probation and not eligible to win any titles:mad:.

uh_no
11-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Hey now. Splitting the Atlantic Coast Conference into an Atlantic Division and Coastal Division, while repetitive, makes sense. It's not like we're asking which 7 schools have Legends and which have Leaders.

I still prefer the ACC division, with

Duke
UNC
NCSU
Wake
GT
UVA
FSU
Clemson

and the Big East Division, with

Cuse
Louisville
BC
Miami
VT
Pitt
ND

OldPhiKap
11-17-2013, 03:26 PM

Duke
UNC
NCSU
Wake
GT
UVA
FSU
Clemson

Cuse
Louisville
BC
Miami
VT
Pitt
ND

A/K/A the Old School Division and the Youngblood Division.

Don't reach, Youngblood!

devildeac
11-17-2013, 03:28 PM

Duke
UNC
NCSU
Wake
GT
UVA
FSU
Clemson

Cuse
Louisville
BC
Miami
VT
Pitt
ND

Not a bad idea but that would mean we have to play Clemson and FSU every year and we remember what happened last year in each of those games. But, then again, to be the best, you gotta beat the best...

BigWayne
11-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Not a bad idea but that would mean we have to play Clemson and FSU every year and we remember what happened last year in each of those games. But, then again, to be the best, you gotta beat the best...

ND is not in the ACC for football. Take them out and move FSU to the new guy conference since they are the next newest member and there you have it.

devildeac
11-17-2013, 05:58 PM
ND is not in the ACC for football. Take them out and move FSU to the new guy conference since they are the next newest member and there you have it.

I'll buy that one.

davekay1971
11-17-2013, 06:17 PM

100%. Vegas isn't taking any bets on this one. UNC has no shame about touting their triumphs, real or imagined. On probation and can't compete in the ACC Championship game? No shame in that...heck, might as well highlight it by handing out rings for the imaginary division championship you didn't win. That dump is all about apperance (To seem, not to be)...fake national championships, fake football accomplishments, fake grades, fake ethical standards.