PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs. Miami, Nov. 16 @ 3:30P

sagegrouse
11-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Duke hosts the U. Miami is a slight favorite (3-4.5 points) in a truly meaningful mid-November game for the Devils.

Comments please.

We are looking for improvement in the passing offense over the VT and State games and a return to season averages or better.

Game cmp. att int yds yds/att
VT 7 26 4 107 4.12
NCS 20 34 3 198 5.82
Season 184 293 15 2191 7.48
Oppon 156 278 12 1976 7.11

sagegrouse

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-10-2013, 08:41 PM
While it was pleasing to listen to how VT worked over Miami yesterday, it remains to be seen how that outcome will influence Miami's game next Saturday.... I'm hoping that whatever mindset the Miami team has, that our guys will continue to be focused. The staff has an important role in helping the team deal with success while preparing for the next challenge. Good defense will be a key.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2013, 09:19 PM
The weather was a huge factor in the Miami-VT game, I do not take a lot of solice in VT's win. Miami is a dangerous, proud, and talented team.

We really need to be sharp in all three phases of the game, and from the opening gun.

AND we need a big crowd. Send our seniors off with a big show of thanks!

BD80
11-10-2013, 09:41 PM
The weather was a huge factor in the Miami-VT game, I do not take a lot of solice in VT's win. Miami is a dangerous, proud, and talented team.

We really need to be sharp in all three phases of the game, and from the opening gun.

Coaching will have a huge impact on the game, a factor in Duke's favor. When is the last time we were able to say that?

Duke plays a lot of young players, and they are getting better game by game.

I only hope that home field is an advantage. Come on Crazies!

Troublemaker
11-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Wow, to only be 3.5 point underdogs (trending towards 3) to "The U," Duke football has come a long way.

We have a chance if the offense returns to previous norms. QB play must improve.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Coaching will have a huge impact on the game, a factor in Duke's favor. When is the last time we were able to say that?
!

Certainly against State! And Virginia, for that matter.

REALLY agree on the need for big student turnout!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-10-2013, 10:09 PM

Yes and no regarding the weather. VT was hot and took advantage of Miami's errors. I listened to the Hurricane network as I drove back from Durham. The missed blocking and poor coverage were mental lapses absent from previous Miami games. Miami made many mistakes, not likely to be repeated. VT also played one of their better games of the year.

I agree that Duke needs to play their best in all phases of the game beginning with the kickoff.

Maybe there will be another big pep rally on campus this week! Enthusiasm in the stands can't be created by the uninspired Jumbotron.

BlueDevilinNYC
11-11-2013, 07:58 AM

Coming down from NYC for the football game this weekend! Can't wait to be back home at Wallace Wade! Lookinging forward to being part of a sellout crowd making some noise!

Bob Green
11-11-2013, 08:23 AM
The offense must play much better against the 'Canes. We cannot turn the ball over four times and expect not to pay the price. The defense has been remarkable and they will need to be remarkable once again. Even without Duke Johnson, Miami is a strong running team who can punish us if we do hold our own at the line of scrimmage. We need to force the 'Canes into passing situations and then pressure Stephen Morris who has thrown 10 interceptions this season. We sacked State QBs three times. Kelby Brown had a huge sack on a blitz. Achieving blitz success against Miami would go along way toward slowing down their offense.

Is it Saturday yet?

roywhite
11-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Gotta have better production from the QB spot to win against the Canes (of course, one might have said the same thing vs VaTech and NCSU, and Duke managed to prevail)

It's hard to reconcile the Boone performances the last 2 weeks vs what we saw against Navy
31-38
0 interceptions
295 yards
3 TDs

Still think Boone gives us the best chance to win, but good to have Connette available

Miami will want to pressure our QB
May be able to run the ball and use backs for screens or short passes

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Easily the best shot we have at defeating the Hurricanes since forever, but that doesn't mean it will be easy. Our QB situation will be interesting, and I'm sure that both Boone and Connette will be going hard in practice and the film room this week. I agree with people thinking that if Boone does not produce early, bring in Connette. That being said, I have faith that Anthony can find his way. And what a blessing Devon Edwards turned out to be. Just when teams lick their lips with the thoughts of Ross Cockrell being a bit banged up, Edwards steps in and makes them think twice. Twice! In 26 seconds!

killerleft
11-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Yes and no regarding the weather. VT was hot and took advantage of Miami's errors. I listened to the Hurricane network as I drove back from Durham. The missed blocking and poor coverage were mental lapses absent from previous Miami games. Miami made many mistakes, not likely to be repeated. VT also played one of their better games of the year.

I agree that Duke needs to play their best in all phases of the game beginning with the kickoff.

Maybe there will be another big pep rally on campus this week! Enthusiasm in the stands can't be created by the uninspired Jumbotron.

The best sound system outside of a Rolling Stones concert needs to be dialed back. That thing discourages crowd participation. I think the crowd could have held their own and been a better inspiration for the Blue Devils.

wilson
11-11-2013, 10:16 AM
...Just when teams lick their lips with the thoughts of Ross Cockrell being a bit banged up, Edwards steps in and makes them think twice.Is there any word on Cockrell's availability for the Miami game? A tandem of two corners to be reckoned with would be quite a luxury against the 'Canes (or anybody else for that matter). Not a lot of teams can field two potential stars in their secondary.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-11-2013, 10:16 AM
The best sound system outside of a Rolling Stones concert needs to be dialed back. That thing discourages crowd participation. I think the crowd could have held their own and been a better inspiration for the Blue Devils.
For all the talk of excellence in all things, our Jumbotron and how it's programmed aren't even the best for that genre of communicating and entertaining. The one on Scott Stadium (UVa), for example, is far better and used more effectively. The music used and well as the videos were terribly familiar since IMG manages the Cavalier brand, too.

Dev11
11-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Is there any word on Cockrell's availability for the Miami game? A tandem of two corners to be reckoned with would be quite a luxury against the 'Canes (or anybody else for that matter). Not a lot of teams can field two potential stars in their secondary.

Don't forget Jeremy Cash. He and Cockrell have been the most consistent DBs this year, although I'll take Edwards's State performance any week.

budwom
11-11-2013, 10:29 AM
FWIW I can report that the volume of sound from the obnoxious scoreboard HAS been reduced SOME...from ear-splittingly painful down to just
severely loud.

Note: the incessant advertising pitches from the PA announcer is so cheesy, crappy and annoying that it does detract from the pleasure of the game
day experience. I don't want to hear about the great deals at Bob's Donut Emporium during every single stoppage in play. Silence is
golden, PA man, please SHUT UP. Thank you. And get off my lawn.

Jarhead
11-11-2013, 10:57 PM
FWIW I can report that the volume of sound from the obnoxious scoreboard HAS been reduced SOME...from ear-splittingly painful down to just
severely loud.

Note: the incessant advertising pitches from the PA announcer is so cheesy, crappy and annoying that it does detract from the pleasure of the game
day experience. I don't want to hear about the great deals at Bob's Donut Emporium during every single stoppage in play. Silence is

I couldn't have said it better.

bleudiable
11-12-2013, 06:27 AM
severely loud.

...and a minor league baseball game broke out. I swear I thought I was going to see a student sumo wrestling display or a sausage race with a Devil, a Ram, a Wolf, and a Deacon.

jjasper0729
11-12-2013, 07:34 AM
...and a minor league baseball game broke out. I swear I thought I was going to see a student sumo wrestling display or a sausage race with a Devil, a Ram, a Wolf, and a Deacon.

I have thought the same thing so many times it's nauseating. Sitting in the stands Saturday evening, we had two bands there and a a packed house and they insisted on playing 5 seconds of "bumper" music between plays while the BANDS WERE TRYING TO BE COLLEGE BANDS! I understand that when the teams are warming up pre-game you need something before the band takes the field and MAYBE when the band is heading down to the field and back up before/after halftime, but it's ridiculous that they keep playing music that is 1) too short to make any sense and 2) doesn't relate to what's going on on the field. We have the band there for a reason. Another thing that gets me is that at halftime, on the jumbotron, they play that rotating logo the whole time the band is doing its thing. Why can't they simply turn on the camera on top of the press box and put that on the screen so those of us who aren't up there can see what they are doing? It might be kind of nice to see how they are moving (as an appreciator of music and marching bands). Finally, use one or both of those side bars and put the scores up from around the conference and around the country. I don't care if they think that "everyone" has smart phones and is checking them. I want to watch the game and in between plays look up at the board and see scores without having to pull out my phone. Ugh.

Rant over... and get off of my lawn!

uh_no
11-12-2013, 10:25 AM
I have thought the same thing so many times it's nauseating. Sitting in the stands Saturday evening, we had two bands there and a a packed house and they insisted on playing 5 seconds of "bumper" music between plays while the BANDS WERE TRYING TO BE COLLEGE BANDS! I understand that when the teams are warming up pre-game you need something before the band takes the field and MAYBE when the band is heading down to the field and back up before/after halftime, but it's ridiculous that they keep playing music that is 1) too short to make any sense and 2) doesn't relate to what's going on on the field. We have the band there for a reason. Another thing that gets me is that at halftime, on the jumbotron, they play that rotating logo the whole time the band is doing its thing. Why can't they simply turn on the camera on top of the press box and put that on the screen so those of us who aren't up there can see what they are doing? It might be kind of nice to see how they are moving (as an appreciator of music and marching bands). Finally, use one or both of those side bars and put the scores up from around the conference and around the country. I don't care if they think that "everyone" has smart phones and is checking them. I want to watch the game and in between plays look up at the board and see scores without having to pull out my phone. Ugh.

Rant over... and get off of my lawn!

You should consider sending your suggestions to the athletics department....I think they look for anyway to make the experience better, putting butts in seats...and if they don't know what's wrong, they can't fix it.

jjasper0729
11-12-2013, 12:36 PM
You should consider sending your suggestions to the athletics department....I think they look for anyway to make the experience better, putting butts in seats...and if they don't know what's wrong, they can't fix it.

yeah. I've spoken to the marketing and promotions people directly and other members of the athletic department staff. Some agree with me, others say "it's promotions"

CDu
11-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Wow, to only be 3.5 point underdogs (trending towards 3) to "The U," Duke football has come a long way.

To be fair, it says a lot about both programs (and in opposite ways). It has been about a decade since Miami was really "The U."

BigWayne
11-12-2013, 02:02 PM
This might be better in the football frustration thread, but is timely and in vein of the last few posts....

I received a survey on football from Duke. However, I am not sure whether it is to improve the game day experience or not since it is being run by Ohio University. Very odd. Excerpts from the email:

DUKE
Title of Research: Ohio University, Center for Sports Administration – Football Bowl Subdivision Fan Survey
Researchers: Dan Butterly, Amanda Carmichael, Daniel Fleming, David King, Jarrod Krisiloff, Heather Lawrence-Benedict

Explanation of Study
This study is being done to explore behaviors and perceptions of Football Bowl Subdivision Football Ticket Purchasers.

Risks and Discomforts
No risks or discomforts are anticipated
Benefits
This study is important to science/society because it will provide knowledge on how to improve the fan experience at college football games. You may not benefit, personally by participating in this study.

• You understand Ohio University has no funds set aside for any injuries you might receive as a result of participating in this study

From the survey itself you can get an idea of what they are thinking about are the issues:

Please select the top five reasons why you do not attend more Duke football home games. You may select up to five (5) options.
The energy of the crowd is lacking
The facilities are outdated (e.g., poor seating, limited concessions, restroom availability, etc.)
Concessions are too expensive
Tickets are not worth the cost
My team is not performing well
The stadium is too far from home
Games are overcrowded
I want to watch multiple games at one time
I would rather watch from home
I prefer rivalry games and/or big matchups
Exact game times are not announced far enough in advance
Game times conflict with my family’s schedule
I am concerned with safety & security
Parking/travel issues of getting to the event on gameday
Lack of adequate internet connectivity at the venue
Negative behavior of other attendees during the game
I am not a huge fan of football
I cannot afford tickets
Parking/travel issues of leaving the event on gameday
Not satisfied with the in-game entertainment (e.g., videoboards, contests, etc.)
Other (Please specify)
None of the above

Which of the following options would most motivate you to attend a higher number of Duke football home games? You may select up to three (3) options.
Offer a wider variety of promotional giveaways
Renovate the facilities (e.g., seating, restrooms, etc.)
Improve internet connectivity in the stadium
Discount ticket prices
Increase mass transportation options
Announce game times further in advance
Provide better quality and wider variety of concessions
Improve the in-game entertainment
Police fan behavior more vigilantly
Wider array of post-game entertainment
Wider array of pre-game entertainment
Offer more parking
Provide more videoboard content (e.g., replays, score updates, etc.)
None of these options would motivate me to attend

alteran
11-12-2013, 02:12 PM
• You understand Ohio University has no funds set aside for any injuries you might receive as a result of participating in this study

I really appreciate that. Probably the biggest problem facing college football today is injuries among fan survey participants.

BigWayne
11-12-2013, 04:19 PM
I really appreciate that. Probably the biggest problem facing college football today is injuries among fan survey participants. It made me wonder what other kinds of research they are doing at Ohio University. Threw it in for the comic relief value.

OldPhiKap
11-12-2013, 04:38 PM
I really appreciate that. Probably the biggest problem facing college football today is injuries among fan survey participants.

I had to take a medical hardship redshirt from a paper cut. I mean, it was nasty.

moonpie23
11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
This might be better in the football frustration thread, but is timely and in vein of the last few posts....

I received a survey on football from Duke. However, I am not sure whether it is to improve the game day experience or not since it is being run by Ohio University. Very odd. Excerpts from the email:

DUKE
Title of Research: Ohio University, Center for Sports Administration – Football Bowl Subdivision Fan Survey
Researchers: Dan Butterly, Amanda Carmichael, Daniel Fleming, David King, Jarrod Krisiloff, Heather Lawrence-Benedict

Explanation of Study
This study is being done to explore behaviors and perceptions of Football Bowl Subdivision Football Ticket Purchasers.

Risks and Discomforts
No risks or discomforts are anticipated
Benefits
This study is important to science/society because it will provide knowledge on how to improve the fan experience at college football games. You may not benefit, personally by participating in this study.

From the survey itself you can get an idea of what they are thinking about are the issues:

Please select the top five reasons why you do not attend more Duke football home games. You may select up to five (5) options.
The energy of the crowd is lacking
The facilities are outdated (e.g., poor seating, limited concessions, restroom availability, etc.)
Concessions are too expensive
Tickets are not worth the cost
My team is not performing well
The stadium is too far from home
Games are overcrowded
I want to watch multiple games at one time
I would rather watch from home
I prefer rivalry games and/or big matchups
Exact game times are not announced far enough in advance
Game times conflict with my family’s schedule
I am concerned with safety & security
Parking/travel issues of getting to the event on gameday
Lack of adequate internet connectivity at the venue
Negative behavior of other attendees during the game
I am not a huge fan of football
I cannot afford tickets
Parking/travel issues of leaving the event on gameday
Not satisfied with the in-game entertainment (e.g., videoboards, contests, etc.)
Other (Please specify)
None of the above

i have to work

loran16
11-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Brian Fremeau, the guy who created the FEI rankings for Football Outsiders, which really like Duke (see geek stats thread), actually uses them to make predictions on his blog. So he has Duke winning the Miami game by 3 points, with a 59.5% chance of victory.

http://www.bcftoys.com/projections/

Gewebe14
11-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Let's go duke!!!!! Everyone who can, go to the game!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Tomorrow is Senior Day..... football players, band members and cheerleaders. This is our opportunity to show appreciation for their accomplishments.

Let's fill the stadium with blue and make a statement: Wallace Wade is a tough venue for visitors!

Reilly
11-15-2013, 08:28 PM
On his tv show, Coach asked that folks be seated 20 minutes before gametime for the honoring/ceremonies.

I checked tix available earlier this week, and quite a few were available in section 24 ... now, seems sections 24 and 29 only have a smattering. Oddly, sections 31 and 31 are marked as sold out ... unsure why ... those are usually empty ... maybe not open to sale to force folks to middle.

uh_no
11-15-2013, 08:35 PM
On his tv show, Coach asked that folks be seated 20 minutes before gametime for the honoring/ceremonies.

I checked tix available earlier this week, and quite a few were available in section 24 ... now, seems sections 24 and 29 only have a smattering. Oddly, sections 31 and 31 are marked as sold out ... unsure why ... those are usually empty ... maybe not open to sale to force folks to middle.

probably because it's "education day"and they gave them to xyz group....I don't care who they go to though, so long as they're full! looking forward to another near full wally wade, though!

Reilly
11-15-2013, 09:04 PM
.. the least we can do is cheer our heart out!

http://instagram.com/p/gwf6gAB378/

weezie
11-15-2013, 09:06 PM
.. the least we can do is cheer our heart out!

http://instagram.com/p/gwf6gAB378/

Oh man, that makes me get teary-eyed! What a sweet guy!

Reilly
11-15-2013, 09:29 PM
https://twitter.com/TheDeavo89

Let's do our part ...

Reilly
11-16-2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks to the seniors. Go Duke. Let's see our playmakers make plays against the U.

nyesq83
11-16-2013, 08:22 AM
I convinced 3 more people to come who otherwise would be at home.

I want to thank the seniors for having faith in Duke.

I am glad we have had faith in them and the coaching staff.

Special thanks to Ross Cockrell for being a great player, student, and already an alumnus, and to his parents for sending him to us.

Let's go Duke! DBR fans, let's be vocal and active today.

killerleft
11-16-2013, 08:48 AM
I convinced 3 more people to come who otherwise would be at home.

I want to thank the seniors for having faith in Duke.

I am glad we have had faith in them and the coaching staff.

Special thanks to Ross Cockrell for being a great player, student, and already an alumnus, and to his parents for sending him to us.

Let's go Duke! DBR fans, let's be vocal and active today.

Great! I'm bringing a couple extra, too. We need more, Duke fans! Go Duke! Go Seniors, what a story these fellows are still writing!

MarkD83
11-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Just moving this back to the top. (At least for today.)

BD80
11-16-2013, 10:45 AM
A victory today would be the most significant win for Duke Football since ...?

uh_no
11-16-2013, 01:27 PM

beating VT 3 weeks ago

since in the division race, both games will prove to be equally important, we gotta look at which victory would have been more impressive

VT had won 6 straight, with their only loss coming to alabama, was ranked #14

#23 miami has lost 2 straight and we're playing them at home

that combined with the fact that VT drubbed miami last week, I have to give the tilt to the VT game.

devildeac
11-16-2013, 02:08 PM

Beating NCSU last Saturday because if we don't come from behind and beat State, it's far less likely we would/could beat Miami and/or the cheaters. Huge win over our Raleigh neighbors. Today's game is even huge-r;).

peloton
11-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Regarding the seniors - their dedication and hard work is obviously paying off this season and we Duke fans and alumni say "thank you". That said, there's a bunch from way down south in Florida who'll have no respect (or mercy) for the Blue Devils. Let's go Duke!! Play hard but play smart!

riverside6
11-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Live stats and play analysis for Miami at Duke

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=3531

Potato Head
11-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Offense purring behind Brandon "poor man's Tebow" Connette. Looks like it's his job from here on.

Acymetric
11-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Would like to see one play without a Miami receiver 10 yards away from the nearest defender. Whatever defensive scheme we came up with isn't working.

rhynelander
11-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Was really worried that penalty was a late hit on us, not a foul on Morris. Defense is keeping us in it at least.

Potato Head
11-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Offense purring behind Brandon "poor man's Tebow" Connette. Looks like it's his job from here on.

And Boone comes back in on the next drive.

Potato Head
11-16-2013, 04:58 PM
That was a ridiculous drive, quarterbackily-speaking. Ridiculous and awesome.

davekay1971
11-16-2013, 05:18 PM
I am ecstatic so far. Our defense has held firm in the red zone twice. Miami has been moving the ball...but has 13 points on offense thanks to the D's ability on those two drives to bend without breaking.

That being said, Miami is moving the ball too well for my taste. Duke's offense is looking great. Keep moving the ball. Score to start the 2nd half, and please let our D stiffen up a little more or force another turnover (or 4)...

arnie
11-16-2013, 05:18 PM
That was a ridiculous drive, quarterbackily-speaking. Ridiculous and awesome.

Offensive line blowing em up. Best I've seen from O-line. Hope the D can do their part in 2nd half.

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Ground game is making it look easy! C'mon defense. Despite being undersized, we've looked ok -- just killed ourselves with a couple unlucky big plays & penalties.

uh_no
11-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Student section is Rockin... don't know where all these students came from

davekay1971
11-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Our offense couldn't look better right now. Keep it up guys. Come on, D, give us a chance to extend.

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Ground game is making it look easy! C'mon defense. Despite being undersized, we've looked ok -- just killed ourselves with a couple unlucky big plays & penalties.

Jinx :(

grossbus
11-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Did the D forget to return to the field??

duke4ever19
11-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Good 3rd down stop despite the field goal. We have a chance to get a TD and make a Miami field goal insufficient.

Edit: Awesome throw and catch!

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Did he call glass?

Orange&BlackSheep
11-16-2013, 06:07 PM
I would watch Duke play Miami and think that the two teams were evenly matched. Never.

duke4ever19
11-16-2013, 06:07 PM
We can't have the refs give Miami gifts like that. Ridiculous call.

Edit: good hold on 3rd down. I was gonna be mad if they scored off that pass interference.

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Horrendous call against Fields. Adding insult to injury, we've been burned by opponent DEs making way more contact than that all season.

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Up 1 thru 3 quarters. And we are a 4th quarter team! Let's get it done.

duke4ever19
11-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Now THAT is a quality punt.

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:18 PM
I'd love to see Kenny lay the ball carrier on his back in the end zone.

duke4ever19
11-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Dang it.

Well, the defense has buckled down and given our offense a couple opportunities to put some points on the board.

We need some points because you know Miami isn't going to go three and out for us the rest of the way.

Edit: Sneed!!

davekay1971
11-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Nice stand after the disappointed first play on this defensive series. Way to get them off the field without scoring. Another opportunity to build a little lead.

arnie
11-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Nice stand after the disappointed first play on this defensive series. Way to get them off the field without scoring. Another opportunity to build a little lead.

May have to throw this series- Miami expecting the run.

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Must. Score.

Who will be QB?

arnie
11-16-2013, 06:25 PM
May have to throw this series- Miami expecting the run.

Maybe not!

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Snead!!!

duke4ever19
11-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Yes!!!!! Let's do this Duke!!!!

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Huh, dunno about the PAT -- with a chance to make it a 2-possession game, I'd give it to Connette.

duke80
11-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Huh, dunno about the PAT -- I'd give it to Connette with a chance to make it a 2-possession game.

OMG what a time to log in and start watching. What a quick strike drive. Go Duke!!!!

duke4ever19
11-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Clutchhhhhh!!!!!!!

grossbus
11-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Wow!!!

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Talk about our RBs! All 4 have major, major contributions today. (Juwan's slammed some massive hits on special teams).

Can we please go for 2 now? Up 14 already, with the best red-zone execution I've seen all year.

duke4ever19
11-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Laughed pretty hard at the "We want 'Bama" sign. Although, it looks like it would be better than playing Florida State.

Defense is playing lights out right now!

davekay1971
11-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Wow. That was an incredibly gutsy call to go for it on 4th and 1 in Ross Martin's range. And it paid off. Wow.

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Cockrell breaks it up, Duke FB, 5 minutes left. Can you feel it?!!

davekay1971
Laughed pretty hard at the "We want 'Bama" sign. Although, it looks like it would be better than playing Florida State.

That sign was kind of weird because there is no way we'd play Bama this year. "We want FSU" would make more sense...but be kind of masochistic.

FerryFor50
Awesome, gutsy showing! Duke football is for real!

Top 25 next week!

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:50 PM
That sign was kind of weird because there is no way we'd play Bama this year. "We want FSU" would make more sense...but be kind of masochistic.
It's not impossible -- they could drop a couple games and meet us in the Orange Bowl.

davekay1971
11-16-2013, 06:52 PM
How much confidence does Cutcliffe have in his running game right now to go for it again on 4th and 1 right there? Well within Martin's range to go up 18...and he goes for it. Crazy. Like a fox.

vick
11-16-2013, 06:52 PM

Defense is playing lights out right now!

I have to admit I laughed out loud at the guy wearing the shirt saying 'THE U INVENTED SWAGGER' who was reduced to saying "Duke?....DUKE?!" to the person beside him after the failed fourth down attempt.

Potato Head
11-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Wallace Wade Wahoos? I like it.

duke4ever19
Man, I want to see that Duke Blue Devil logo somewhere on the top 25 come Sunday afternoon!

Richard Berg
How much confidence does Cutcliffe have in his running game right now to go for it again on 4th and 1 right there? Well within Martin's range to go up 18...and he goes for it. Crazy. Like a fox.
Yeah, despite all my calls for aggressive O, even I don't like that one. Insane.

(maybe that's why Cut is the coach)

FerryFor50
11-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Yeah, despite all my calls for aggressive O, even I don't like that one. Insane.

(maybe that's why Cut is the coach)

Not that insane. Miami was still down 2 touchdowns with just 5 min left. Why the heck not make em earn it if you don't get the 1st down?

Richard Berg
11-16-2013, 06:58 PM
I can't remember hearing an "Our House" chant on TV before... ever.

Also, the "we want Bama" sign makes more sense when you count syllables. Hard to fit "Seminoles" into a chant. (DUMB has a few, but they cannot be printed on this family board)

davekay1971
11-16-2013, 07:04 PM
8-2. Congratulations. Great for the seniors.