PDA

View Full Version : Edwards gets national honor

jimsumner
11-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Likely the first of many

Duke press release

"Duke redshirt freshman safety DeVon Edwards has been named the National Defensive Player of the Week by the Walter Camp Football Foundation following the Blue Devils’ 38-20 win over N.C. State this past Saturday.

A native of Covington, Ga., Edwards logged 10 total tackles, returned two interceptions for touchdowns and added a 100-yard kickoff return for a third score as the Blue Devils won their fifth consecutive game. Edwards established Duke freshman single-game records for longest kickoff return, total points (18), highest kickoff return average (49.33 on three returns) and most interception returns for touchdowns.

With Duke nursing a 24-20 advantage late in the fourth period, Edwards returned interceptions 25 and 45 yards for touchdowns just 16 second apart to help seal the victory. He became the first Duke player to return two interceptions for touchdowns since Leon Wright against Army in 2009, and the first Blue Devil to return a kickoff for a score since Jabari Marshall versus Connectiuct in 2007.

Brown is the fourth Duke player – and second this season – to earn Walter Camp Player of the Week honors, joining Michael Tauillili (LB, Sept. 21, 2008), Thaddeus Lewis (QB, Oct. 11, 2009) and Kelby Brown (LB, Oct. 19, 2013)."

OldPhiKap
11-10-2013, 01:36 PM
A very well-earned accomplishment. Congratulations, DeVon!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Great accomplishment!

How many other teams have had two different players win that national award this season?

loran16
11-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Amusingly Thad's win came from duke's last game against nc state

formerdukeathlete
11-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Likely the first of many

Duke press release

"Duke redshirt freshman safety DeVon Edwards has been named the National Defensive Player of the Week by the Walter Camp Football Foundation following the Blue Devils’ 38-20 win over N.C. State this past Saturday.

A native of Covington, Ga., Edwards logged 10 total tackles, returned two interceptions for touchdowns and added a 100-yard kickoff return for a third score as the Blue Devils won their fifth consecutive game. Edwards established Duke freshman single-game records for longest kickoff return, total points (18), highest kickoff return average (49.33 on three returns) and most interception returns for touchdowns.

With Duke nursing a 24-20 advantage late in the fourth period, Edwards returned interceptions 25 and 45 yards for touchdowns just 16 second apart to help seal the victory. He became the first Duke player to return two interceptions for touchdowns since Leon Wright against Army in 2009, and the first Blue Devil to return a kickoff for a score since Jabari Marshall versus Connectiuct in 2007.

Edwards is the fourth Duke player – and second this season – to earn Walter Camp Player of the Week honors, joining Michael Tauillili (LB, Sept. 21, 2008), Thaddeus Lewis (QB, Oct. 11, 2009) and Kelby Brown (LB, Oct. 19, 2013)."

FIFY

jimsumner
11-10-2013, 06:01 PM
FIFY

I've alerted Duke of the mistake.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Great accomplishment!

How many other teams have had two different players win that national award this season?

That is a great question.

If I am reading it right, we share that honor with FSU, UGA and Michigan State.

http://www.waltercamp.org/honors/player-of-the-week/

Good company.

nocilla
11-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Two games in row, Duke football features the National Defensive Player of the Week. Amazing!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-10-2013, 08:15 PM
That is a great question.

If I am reading it right, we share that honor with FSU, UGA and Michigan State.

http://www.waltercamp.org/honors/player-of-the-week/

Good company.
Yes, them's some of the Big Boys!

Reilly
11-11-2013, 12:49 PM
... in Johnny Moore's Monday goduke.com column (about his 2nd INT):

“I was just staying back, reading,” he explained. “Our line put a lot of pressure on the quarterback, so I think he just tried to get rid of it and guess to where his receiver was supposed to be. I was just sitting, reading his eyes and when he just threw it up, I was the only one around so that was his loss.”

... made me laugh ...