PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 38, NCSU 20 (woot!)

-jk
11-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Keep on rollin'!

-jk

roywhite
11-09-2013, 07:35 PM
3:31 Connette Rushing TD

3:21 Edwards INT TD

3:05 Edwards INT TD

Wow!

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Sooooo ESPN COLLEGE GAMEDAY at Duke next week for Duke-Miami??????

on second thought, it might be a bad thing to show unrenovated Wallace Wade to the whole world

Troublemaker
11-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Exciting final few minutes for both Duke fans and gamblers.

Spread was Duke -10.5. Over/under was 57.

gadzooks
11-09-2013, 07:46 PM
That turned from a crap game to an awesome one in the fourth quarter. Great job by the D.

BigWayne
11-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Very entertaining reading watching PP self-flaggelate: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=12289515&p=1

JulesInLA
11-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Wow!! Things started looking shaky, poured a cocktail and the entire game broke open. I pledge to start libations much earlier next time. Edwards is The Man!!

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Game ball goes to our defense. Really saved the game when the offense kept turning the ball over, forcing punts and turnovers. Huge plays by Devon Edwards (pick-12) and our offense for two drives. Connette to lead that TD drive with 3 mins left when we were down 20-17.

We won this game without Russ Cockrell playing a snap. Our secondary is in great hands for the next couple years. They're young, have good size, and are crazy athletic and getting a lot of experience now. Fields, Borders, Edwards, are all freshmen.

Huge game next week when Miami comes to town. If we want to have a chance against them, we need to play a near-perfect game. No more of this 4 turnover business.

weezie
11-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Great fun! I was a tad distracted by the unis, lots going on there, but GO Devils GO!!!

75Crazie
11-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Huge game next week when Miami comes to town. If we want to have a chance against them, we need to play a near-perfect game. No more of this 4 turnover business.
We will beat neither Miami nor UNCheat with the offense we've had the last two games. I am hoping somebody will find a way to give Boone a confidence transfusion in the next week.

One thing I have to agree with PP on: the State coaching was at times inscrutable today.

arnie
11-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Wow!! Things started looking shaky, poured a cocktail and the entire game broke open. I pledge to start libations much earlier next time. Edwards is The Man!!

Ernie Jackson recall. Duke finally making its own breaks- so unlike the past. xxx+ years. Doing it without great talent but they do believe.

DukieInKansas
11-09-2013, 08:28 PM
They made me a bit nervous for most of the game but what a fun ending! Great game for #27 DeVon Edwards. I like that the team never gave up.

SoCalDukeFan
11-09-2013, 08:33 PM
I remember reading where Coach Cut said he something like he would recruit players that he thought were better than their rating.
Devon Edwards was a 2 star. Looked like a 6 star to me today.

Great game to watch. Love it that I am getting Duke football games in LA.

SoCal

DU82
11-09-2013, 08:37 PM
In years past, we would have been the ones making the bad decisions, throwing two straight pick-six. For the third game in a row, when we had a chance to fold, we held on, and pushed forward. This is a real football team now.

Obviously, things to work on regarding the offense. I wonder if Boone came back too soon, and is struggling with his shoulder/collarbone injury. Some really poor passes throughout the game. The running game had some problems with the State D-line stuffing the box a lot more than other teams. The passing game getting back to where it was would help open up that.

The crowd was great. I had a State fan watching on TV from California send me a message about how electric the crowd seemed. Not quite full, but close, and as mentioned, a lot more blue than red compared to past games with the Wolfies. Let's bring it again next week, since there won't be anywhere as many Cane fans as the Pack brought.

Newton_14
11-09-2013, 08:46 PM
That turned from a crap game to an awesome one in 26 seconds. Great job by the D.

Fixed it for you. :)

Gone in 26 seconds?

Prior to that though, QB play was killing us. That has to be fixed in a hurry. Need Anthony to get his head back on straight to finish out the season strong.

Getting to 7 wins is huge for the program though. Another milestone for the program and team. Let's go get more boys!

Go Duke!

uh_no
11-09-2013, 08:47 PM
In years past, we would have been the ones making the bad decisions, throwing two straight pick-six. For the third game in a row, when we had a chance to fold, we held on, and pushed forward. This is a real football team now.

Obviously, things to work on regarding the offense. I wonder if Boone came back too soon, and is struggling with his shoulder/collarbone injury. Some really poor passes throughout the game. The running game had some problems with the State D-line stuffing the box a lot more than other teams. The passing game getting back to where it was would help open up that.

The crowd was great. I had a State fan watching on TV from California send me a message about how electric the crowd seemed. Not quite full, but close, and as mentioned, a lot more blue than red compared to past games with the Wolfies. Let's bring it again next week, since there won't be anywhere as many Cane fans as the Pack brought.

also some really poor dropped balls that certainly didn't help his confidence....I saw some really bad decision making rather than poor execution as the reason for the INTs

loran16
11-09-2013, 08:51 PM
This game was eerily similar to a game in 2009. Duke went to Army - a bad team at the time, and Thad Lewis was benched for Sean Renfree. Renfree got Duke up in the final moments, and then CB Leon Wright made back to back pick sixes to make the game a laugher in the final 2 minutes.

Renfree didn't start the next game, and I expect Boone to start vs Miami.

I can't say enough good things about the D, although I wish that we blitzed a lot more than we did: our blitzing seemed to work every time and we put little pressure on their QBs otherwise. Against other teams it's probably not a good idea, but with NCState's QBs, it seemed like a smart plan.

NYBri
11-09-2013, 09:08 PM
also some really poor dropped balls that certainly didn't help his confidence....I saw some really bad decision making rather than poor execution as the reason for the INTs

Some really bad dropped balls with receivers hit in the numbers...at some bad times.

sagegrouse
11-09-2013, 09:08 PM
My original post, composed in my head in the middle of the fourth quarter, read something like: "This is the Duke Basketball Report, and basketball is the reason I linger here. I am not mentally equipped for the swings and disappointments of Duke football. Our offense has been horrendous the last two games; it is a miracle we beat VT and that we still have a chance against State. It isn't worth it to get emotionally invested in Duke football. Therefore, this will be my last post about a Duke football game."

Now I have some different thoughts:

1. Football can be tremendously exciting. 21 points in 35 seconds! Holy cow! Nothing like that in basketball or baseball. Go Duke.

2. I am totally psyched about going with Connette the rest of the season. Please, Coach, please?

3. DeVon Edwards can't be real, can he? Where did this guy come from? Duke scores 38 points and a player not on offense is responsible for 21 of them. Holy macaroni! Is there anything like this performance in the annals of Duke football?

4. Ya see, guys, if you have a good defense ya' always have a chance to win. I just never thought we'd get to test the hypothesis at Duke during my lifetime. The Duke defense gave up three points on four turnovers; Duke scored 17 points on four State TOs. State's offense produced only ten points when not aided by a TO. (How did we go from one of the worst defenses in Div IA to one of the better ones in just a single year?)

sagegrouse

FerryFor50
11-09-2013, 09:18 PM

I don't think Boone's issue is confidence. If anything, he was too confident. After the easy score, he started assuming guys were open rather than reading the play. State got him twice with the linebacker underneath. The other int wasn't a bad decision as much as a bad throw.

The drops by normally dependable receivers like Deaver and Crowder were baffling.

More baffling was ncsu's coaching. Going for it on 4th inside their own 30 only down 7? Musical quarterbacks? Playing the "passing" QB when the "running" QB should have been in? Abandoning the run after gashing the Duke D over and over? Particularly inside the red zone? Three straight bombs to the same guy in a row? (Granted the 3rd worked)

The timeout on kick return with 3:30 left in the game and down just 4 when you need to conserve time outs?

And state fans thought Tom O'Brien was bad... That fanbase reaps what they sow.

devildeac
11-09-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't think Boone's issue is confidence. If anything, he was too confident. After the easy score, he started assuming guys were open rather than reading the play. State got him twice with the linebacker underneath. The other int wasn't a bad decision as much as a bad throw.

The drops by normally dependable receivers like Deaver and Crowder were baffling.

More baffling was ncsu's coaching. Going for it on 4th inside their own 30 only down 7? Musical quarterbacks? Playing the "passing" QB when the "running" QB should have been in? Abandoning the run after gashing the Duke D over and over? Particularly inside the red zone? Three straight bombs to the same guy in a row? (Granted the 3rd worked)

The timeout on kick return with 3:30 left in the game and down just 4 when you need to conserve time outs?

And state fans thought Tom O'Brien was bad... That fanbase reaps what they sow.

I can explain the TO on the KO with 3:30 left. The ref talked to one of the NCSU return men and then the State guy counted and they only had 10 guys on the field so they had to burn the TO to get the 11th guy out there. Still not smart on their part. And they pride themselves on their engineering school:rolleyes:.

FerryFor50
11-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I can explain the TO on the KO with 3:30 left. The ref talked to one of the NCSU return men and then the State guy counted and they only had 10 guys on the field so they had to burn the TO to get the 11th guy out there. Still not smart on their part. And they pride themselves on their engineering school:rolleyes:.

I'd rather play with 10 than burn the timeout. Even worse, the kickoff was a touchback...

Richard Berg
11-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Wasn't there a rather vocal "fire Jim Knowles" contingent in the UVA game thread? Where did they slink off to? I'll grant you that Borders got burned once, but hey so has Cockrell (this year even, let alone when he was a frosh).

As far as I can remember, Connette made two mistakes the whole game: trying to switch hands just before taking a hit, and handing off to Jela (?) in the option read when he had the clearer route. All his incompletion were on-target, and his other zone plays were very well executed.

Speaking of which, I thought we didn't let Boone do nearly enough run/option plays. He's quicker than Connette and almost as tough. Are the coaches worried about his decision-making, or reinjury?

devildeac
11-09-2013, 09:43 PM
I'd rather play with 10 than burn the timeout. Even worse, the kickoff was a touchback...

They're NCSU remember:rolleyes:. I agree with you.

moonpie23
11-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Va tech up 35-24 on miami with 1:31 to go in the 3rd…….suddenly, i'm concerned about what miami FB is doing...

FerryFor50
11-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Speaking of which, I thought we didn't let Boone do nearly enough run/option plays. He's quicker than Connette and almost as tough. Are the coaches worried about his decision-making, or reinjury?

A lot of that was on Boone. He makes the read on the read option they kept running and several times should have kept it.

devildeac
11-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Attendance was 32,010. I doubt there were more than 5000 Pack fans there. The only sections that weren't full or nearly full were the last two on our side nearest the scoreboard. Crowd was good.

FerryFor50
11-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Attendance was 32,010. I doubt there were more than 5000 Pack fans there. The only sections that weren't full or nearly full were the last two on our side nearest the scoreboard. Crowd was good.

Was a lot fewer than 5k pack fans the instant Mitchell threw the pick six. :D

devildeac
11-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Va tech up 35-24 on miami with 1:31 to go in the 3rd…….suddenly, i'm concerned about what miami FB is doing...

Come Thursday night, I'm a huge Clemson fan. But, for tonight: gobble, gobble, too.

uh_no
11-09-2013, 09:48 PM

student section was packed at the start of the game

Atldukie79
11-09-2013, 09:49 PM
I really love having a football program that is in the hunt! The games are fun to watch...and this team is thrilling (sometimes scary) to watch.

We made more big (fantastic) plays than State, but we were out gained on offense by about 100yds. As pointed out by others, 2 of Boones Ints were not bad throws or great defense, but simply not him not reading the defense. That concerns me more than a misfire INT. He was not surveying the field. Ouch.

Before the big burst of 4th qtr plays, we were losing to (one of?) the worst ACC teams.

But this year we weem to have mojo...we are getting/making our breaks. Other than Pitt (no mojo) and Ga Tech (they just whpped us) we have done what we needed to do.

Did I say I love watching football when its MY team and they are WINNING! Yes! COuld we have a three or four way tie for our division? This is excellent fun!

devildeac
11-09-2013, 09:50 PM
student section was packed at the start of the game

I noticed that and pointed that out to the group with us. That was sweet.

Richard Berg
11-09-2013, 09:55 PM
I don't mind the call on 4th & 6 inches, down 7 on your 30. It's an extremely high-percentage play. Problem is, you don't bring out your offense, then switch out the punt unit, then call a timeout, then run a friggin' tailback handoff. All you need is a QB sneak, or direct snap to the fullback if he's too skinny / hurt. Say what you will about Roper and our QBs, I'm glad I don't have to watch indecisiveness.

FerryFor50
11-09-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't mind the call on 4th & 6 inches, down 7 on your 30. It's an extremely high-percentage play. Problem is, you don't bring out your offense, then switch out the punt unit, then call a timeout, then run a friggin' tailback handoff. All you need is a QB sneak, or direct snap to the fullback if he's too skinny / hurt. Say what you will about Roper and our QBs, I'm glad I don't have to watch indecisiveness.

I still think it was a bad idea. They were in the game and it was still early.

The worst part was that they didn't even bring in Mitchell as the running threat. They had Pete Thomas in. Ugh.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2013, 09:58 PM

41-24 in the rain, some fans headed for the exit . . . .

FerryFor50
11-09-2013, 09:59 PM
41-24 in the rain, some fans headed for the exit . . . .

Are they State fans? :p

watzone
11-09-2013, 10:04 PM
The Magic Man himself DeVon Edwards http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/11/magical-night-for-devon-edwards-the-man-of-the-hour/

OldPhiKap
11-09-2013, 10:16 PM
The Magic Man himself DeVon Edwards http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/11/magical-night-for-devon-edwards-the-man-of-the-hour/

Great video, great kid. Thanks for posting this!!!

DBFAN
11-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I know some may find this a little premature, but with the VT and Miami almost over, it seems to me that Duke at 7-2 with a win in Blacksburg are more than deserving of being ranked in the top 25. Talk amongst yourselves

loran16
11-09-2013, 10:25 PM

Or more seriously, even if State was running that play, why the heck wasn't Mitchell in? With Mitchell in you could at least bluff the QB Keeper.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2013, 10:27 PM
I know some may find this a little premature, but with the VT and Miami almost over, it seems to me that Duke at 7-2 with a win in Blacksburg are more than deserving of being ranked in the top 25. Talk amongst yourselves

Perhaps.

Beat Miami and move to 9-2: definitely.

Would not be surprised to be in top 25 if, for nothing else, to hype the game with Miami next weekend.

mkline09
11-09-2013, 10:30 PM

While if I had a vote I'd vote for Duke but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't get in. They'll get votes, more than 1 and 11 respectively but they did need some late game heroics to beat a pretty poor NC State team. Still they do deserve some consideration. I won't be surprised if they do get ranked, but I'm thinking they have to beat Miami. Small concern though. Beat Miami and we start talking ACC Title game.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2013, 10:32 PM

Plus the delay of game when they had the punt /go choice a second time.

Plus the clock management issues at the end of the half.

And the haphazard shuffling of quarterbacks.

Really strange coaching decisions by the Pack all night. And I am being polite.

DukeDevil
11-09-2013, 10:32 PM
I noticed that and pointed that out to the group with us. That was sweet.

they gave students t-shirts saying "you can't handle the D" (fence symbol underneath the D)

DukieInKansas
11-09-2013, 10:33 PM

Thanks for sharing the video. What a delightful young man.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2013, 10:34 PM
So . . . Who starts against Miami?

uh_no
11-09-2013, 10:38 PM
they gave students t-shirts saying "you can't handle the D" (fence symbol underneath the D)
they looked a tad like this......very appropriate, considering how the game went

Mabdul Doobakus
11-09-2013, 10:40 PM
I'll be driving from Norfolk to catch the Miami-Duke game this weekend. I'm a fan of both teams, but I'm pretty sure I'll be pulling for Duke this time around. I think even Miami fans knew that the Canes were a giant fraud, and now that they're down Duke Johnson (and presumably Phillip Dorsett), their talent level has taken a huge hit. Not to mention Stephen Morris has been limited all season by an ankle injury.

Duke can definitely win this game and I expect the betting line to be close to even. As for Top 25? I think Duke gets there if they win next week, but not before.

loran16
11-09-2013, 10:41 PM
So . . . Who starts against Miami?

It'll be Boone. Like I mentioned above, we have one precedent where the QB played poor and the backup led the team to victory (09 Thad/Renfree against Army) and the starter was back in next week.

uh_no
11-09-2013, 10:45 PM
It'll be Boone. Like I mentioned above, we have one precedent where the QB played poor and the backup led the team to victory (09 Thad/Renfree against Army) and the starter was back in next week.

I agree, but for different reasons.

boone should get the nod, he's the better QB, even if that wasn't the case tonight. tonight was as bad as he's ever looked, and it was exacerbated by the dropped passes early. they'll work all week, help him get his head back on straight, and don't be surprised if we throw out connette for a few series just to change things up.

ForkFondler
11-09-2013, 11:09 PM

There are no Coastal teams that deserve to be ranked in the top 25. OTOH, there are a whole bunch in the top 50. Glad to be one of them.

devildeac
11-09-2013, 11:15 PM

boone should get the nod, he's the better QB, even if that wasn't the case tonight. tonight was as bad as he's ever looked, and it was exacerbated by the dropped passes early. they'll work all week, help him get his head back on straight, and don't be surprised if we throw out connette for a few series just to change things up.

His QB rating tonight was 8.7 on the espn box score.

His QB rating against VT was 8.1 so that's pretty darned close to as bad as he's ever played. We'll call it a draw:rolleyes:. And we won both games. Astounding.

uh_no
11-09-2013, 11:35 PM
His QB rating tonight was 8.7 on the espn box score.

His QB rating against VT was 8.1 so that's pretty darned close to as bad as he's ever played. We'll call it a draw:rolleyes:. And we won both games. Astounding.

that's 8.7/10, right?

devildeac
11-09-2013, 11:50 PM
that's 8.7/10, right?

Don't think so. Got my #s from here:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332990259

and here:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=333130150

Potato Head
11-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Boone has a bigger skill-set, but Connette is making better decisions right now. And our offense doesn't need a world beater quarterback, just someone who can get the ball to Crowder, facilitate the run game, and keep the defense honest with his arm every now and again. I hate the idea of benching Boone, but I think you have to go with Connette next week.

DevilFalcon
11-10-2013, 12:25 AM
Incredible! Edwards just had the performance of the week. Not just for Duke, nationally. And really you could argue for the whole year. 3 non offense touchdowns in one game is simply unbelievable.

loran16
11-10-2013, 12:26 AM
PS: I've been hammering in the Phase posts how it's important for Duke to have a #2 and/or #3 WR option our QBs can rely upon. Today was yet another example of what I mean: Deaver had a crucial drop and was invisible for most of the day, McCaffrey and Blakeny were ALSO invisible, etc.

WR by committee sounds nice until you realize that means after Crowder you have a bunch of guys your QB isnt sure who among them he can trust on each play.

devildeac
11-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Devon Edwards' 100 yd KO return ties 13 others for longest KO return in ACC history. Wonder if he'll get any ACC and national awards for his performance yesterday.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/08fbmg134146.pdf

Gotta scroll down a bit to find this stat.

siestadogz
11-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Conette should start at qb. He energizes the team He gets off his passes and hits his holes ahead of the defense. His td run was impressive and needed after taking the team 80 yards for the lead.
Boone has thrown 7 interceptions in 2 games and has been qb for many 3 and out possessions. A poor performance at vt was overlooked because of victory.
It is great to see Duke finding ways to win and the home crowds are growing. Fans who have a positive experience like yesterday are likely to return.

roywhite
11-10-2013, 07:29 AM

I'm just amazed at the success this Duke team can have without good QB play.

In recent years, for Duke to win, it generally required the QB and receivers to have a big day and huge numbers.

Bob Green
11-10-2013, 07:41 AM
A big victory that ensures a winning season, a very good crowd, outstanding Tailgate festivities with roast pig, wings, beans, potato salad, pumpkin cheese cake (I ate too much), it was an absolutely great all day long event. I'm looking forward to the Miami game already.

Indoor66
11-10-2013, 08:22 AM
I can explain the TO on the KO with 3:30 left. The ref talked to one of the NCSU return men and then the State guy counted and they only had 10 guys on the field so they had to burn the TO to get the 11th guy out there. Still not smart on their part. And they pride themselves on their engineering school:rolleyes:.Well, they did count accurately. :mad:

Mike Corey
11-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Just wanted to say congratulations to this Duke program. That starts with Coach Cutcliffe and each of his assistants, through the players and support staff, through their families, through the Administration, and through all the diehard fans that have followed this program through it all.

To have two off-weeks on offense, and to be 2-0 through those games, is the sign of a good program, not just a good team.

Let's keep it rollin'.

uh_no
11-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Boone has a bigger skill-set, but Connette is making better decisions right now. And our offense doesn't need a world beater quarterback, just someone who can get the ball to Crowder, facilitate the run game, and keep the defense honest with his arm every now and again. I hate the idea of benching Boone, but I think you have to go with Connette next week.

I'm going to have to disagree. Both made some pretty bad errors. Boone's "error" count was higher (made up stat), but he also played more snaps. Connette fumbled the ball at the tail end of a 25 yard run, at one point ran left, then spun around almost without looking and lobbed the ball back to where the RB was supposed to be, almost leading to an interception, and was on the whole, just as inneffective as boone was. THey each had a couple drives where they effectively moved the ball, but my goodness, there must have been a 15 minute stretch in the second half where we didn't get a first down! In fact, I'm not making this up!

3rd Quarter: at about 14:30, we got a first down then

12:44 Punt
7:17 Punt
1:41 fumble <this is where connette came in
14:43 punt
11:12 punt
9:00 we get a first down!

almost 19 minutes of futility!

either way, connette's drives were still pretty bad, here they are
3 plays, 31 yards, fumble
3 plays 0 yds punt
3 plays 5 yards punt
6 plays 26 yards punt
8 plays 79 yards TD
3 plays 6 yards punt

I'd only classify one of those as worth it's salt....the TD one....the rest were exercises in frustration as we barely moved the ball

for comparison, boone's drives were as follows:
5 plays 90 yards TD
10 plays 29 yards INT
3 plays 3 yards punt
3 plays four yards punt
3 plays 8 yards FG
5 plays 23 yards int
5 plays 13 yards punt
3 plays 0 yards punt
1 play INT

Each QB had a single good drive, and a bunch of really bad drives....I'd argue that boone was more affected by drops than was connette, even if both had a share....we've seen a lot of both QBs this year, and they both at times make some pretty bad decisions.

My vote is with boone....I think his performance ceiling is much higher....he has a stronger arm that connette (not a chance connette completes that 75 yard pass, IMO....he just can't get it out that far, and the receiver usually has to come back to the ball, eliminating any YAC), and bringing connette off the bench throws teams for a loop...since the game plan is much less standard than it is with boone.

wgl1228
11-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Dare I ask what happens if we win out? Would we really play FSU for the ACC title? This is insane but I love it.

pfrduke
11-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Dare I ask what happens if we win out? Would we really play FSU for the ACC title? This is insane but I love it.

We need a little bit of help - specifically, Clemson beating Georgia Tech - but if that happens, yes.

burnspbesq
11-10-2013, 01:37 PM
One of the best things about yesterday: State fans have to live with it for SEVEN years. The next Duke-State game is in 2020.

moonpie23
11-10-2013, 02:38 PM
we don't play state for 7 years? that's insane…

wilko
11-10-2013, 02:39 PM
I have nothing but love for our Pack friends.

Last nite was date night..... so I missed watching a lot of the game to remain happily married. :-)
After dinner we walked by the bar and I caught the score late in the 4th - Connette and Duke were driving after after State took the lead. BOOM Duke came back and made a score when they HAD to have it. (nice change) I was into the drive. After Thompson's burst, I must have been outwardly cheering more loudly than I thought as 2 pack fans reminded me I was in Raleigh and in "State Territory"..

I told them I was born in Durham and couldn't help myself... 'sides, Duke was entitled to a decent football season once every 40yrs.. They begrudgingly agreed Duke was overdue and admitted they liked Cut and thought he was doing a great job as HC. We had one thing in common "ABC" and he wished us well against UNC and for the rest of the year.. Just then the 1st pick6 happened and his tone changed and I got the impression he regretted admitting any inkling of respect for Duke aloud. To ease his pain I told him "We are still Duke and if there's a way to lose this game we'll find it.." and then left. In the car we tuned in just in time to hear about the 2nd pick6... I knew my 2 boys 8 and 11 were going nuts watching the game at home.
We had left the house at halftime.

We are on an interesting journey. Normally we DO find ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... We dont get points when we needed them most, and if there was a flukey series of amazing plays they usually went against us NOT FOR us...

We aren't the best team in the world. But we do seem to have the requisite toughness and a will to win - that makes us vastly improved and competitive. Thats a really neat feeling. Also the confidence and expectation to win are very much welcome.

I'm going to kick back and really enjoy this ride where ever it takes us.
Its awesome. It reminds me of the feelings I had back around 83-84 when K's teams were taking shape.

All this recent attention can only help us build on the recruiting trail.... amazing days....

mike88
11-10-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm going to have to disagree. Both made some pretty bad errors. Boone's "error" count was higher (made up stat), but he also played more snaps. Connette fumbled the ball at the tail end of a 25 yard run, at one point ran left, then spun around almost without looking and lobbed the ball back to where the RB was supposed to be, almost leading to an interception, and was on the whole, just as inneffective as boone was. THey each had a couple drives where they effectively moved the ball, but my goodness, there must have been a 15 minute stretch in the second half where we didn't get a first down! In fact, I'm not making this up!

3rd Quarter: at about 14:30, we got a first down then

12:44 Punt
7:17 Punt
1:41 fumble <this is where connette came in
14:43 punt
11:12 punt
9:00 we get a first down!

almost 19 minutes of futility!

either way, connette's drives were still pretty bad, here they are
3 plays 0 yds punt
3 plays 5 yards punt
6 plays 26 yards punt
8 plays 79 yards TD
3 plays 6 yards punt

I'd only classify one of those as worth it's salt....the TD one....the rest were exercises in frustration as we barely moved the ball

for comparison, boone's drives were as follows:
5 plays 90 yards TD
10 plays 29 yards INT
3 plays 3 yards punt
3 plays four yards punt
3 plays 8 yards FG
5 plays 23 yards int
5 plays 13 yards punt
3 plays 0 yards punt
1 play INT

Each QB had a single good drive, and a bunch of really bad drives....I'd argue that boone was more affected by drops than was connette, even if both had a share....we've seen a lot of both QBs this year, and they both at times make some pretty bad decisions.

My vote is with boone....I think his performance ceiling is much higher....he has a stronger arm that connette (not a chance connette completes that 75 yard pass, IMO....he just can't get it out that far, and the receiver usually has to come back to the ball, eliminating any YAC), and bringing connette off the bench throws teams for a loop...since the game plan is much less standard than it is with boone.

I mostly agree, but you have to give credit to Connette for leading the most important (and game winning) drive - including carrying it in from the 5 on third down. Boone may have better arm strength, but Connette has shown his is fine too, and lately he has been a better runner.

jimsumner
11-10-2013, 03:31 PM
There were lots and lots of big plays.

But let me bring up one that seems to be overlooked.

Third quarter. State returns punt for score and ties game at 10.

Boone quickly intercepted. State takes over at Duke 15.

State picks up first down at Duke 5.

Be honest here. What were you thinking? Something along the lines of State gets TD and the wheels come off? Fun while it lasted? We still have basketball?

Instead, Kenny Anunike nails Shadrach Thornton for a four-yard loss. First and goal at the 5 becomes second and goal at the 9. A huge difference for a team with erratic quarterback play.

State has to settle for the field goal, the bullet was dodged and the wheels stayed on.

That play, IMO, was as big as any play of the game.

Anunike is one of my favorite players. Multiple knee surgeries, two injury redshirts, more visits to rehab than we can count and here he is, playing the best ball of his career.

It should also be noted that Anunike has a degree from Duke in Biological Anthropology and Anatomy and is working on a master's in Liberal Studies.

Kudos.

Native
11-10-2013, 04:12 PM
There were lots and lots of big plays.

But let me bring up one that seems to be overlooked.

Third quarter. State returns punt for score and ties game at 10.

Boone quickly intercepted. State takes over at Duke 15.

State picks up first down at Duke 5.

Be honest here. What were you thinking? Something along the lines of State gets TD and the wheels come off? Fun while it lasted? We still have basketball?

Instead, Kenny Anunike nails Shadrach Thornton for a four-yard loss. First and goal at the 5 becomes second and goal at the 9. A huge difference for a team with erratic quarterback play.

State has to settle for the field goal, the bullet was dodged and the wheels stayed on.

Anunike is one of my favorite players. Multiple knee surgeries, two injury redshirts, more visits to rehab than we can count and here he is, playing the best ball of his career.

It should also be noted that Anunike has a degree from Duke in Biological Anthropology and Anatomy and is working on a master's in Liberal Studies.

Kudos.

Agreed on all points — that goal line stand was absolutely huge, and in the shadow of the well-deserved attention surrounding DeVon, it's gone unnoticed.

They couldn't handle the D.

Wander
11-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Take away the one big NCSU pass play - which DeVon Edwards screwed up on, and I think we can all agree he more than made up for that - and the Duke defense played nearly perfectly. Most (all?) of the other scores came as a result of Duke's offense or special teams.

So weird that we're having our best season in decades with a mediocre passing game.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Kudos.

Agreed on all points — that goal line stand was absolutely huge, and in the shadow of the well-deserved attention surrounding DeVon, it's gone unnoticed.

They couldn't handle the D.

Cut also stated in his press conference, IIRC, that DeVon had a 4.0 gpa in high school as well.

We are smart, fast, and getting better. Lots to like.

(And agreed, that stop was key -- as was the 4th and inches that State went for in the first half and was stopped. The line played great. And, as Cut also said in his press conference IIRC, at one point he looked out and our secondary had five freshman (either redshirt or true). This is not a one trick, one shot pony we've got here).

devildeac
11-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Cut also stated in his press conference, IIRC, that DeVon had a 4.0 gpa in high school as well.

We are smart, fast, and getting better. Lots to like.

(And agreed, that stop was key -- as was the 4th and inches that State went for in the first half and was stopped. The line played great. And, as Cut also said in his press conference IIRC, at one point he looked out and our secondary had five freshman (either redshirt or true). This is not a one trick, one shot pony we've got here).

I mentioned that to our group at some point in the second half I think. I guessing Fields, Edwards, Borders, McCarthy and Singleton must have been our defensive backfield at the time though it's tough to imagine that Cash was not out there, too. I know Cockrell did not play and I'm not sure Norman did either. I did hear Young-Wiseman's name called a couple times for tackles. That is a very young, talented group.

Scorp4me
11-10-2013, 09:43 PM

Based on what they have accomplished against who they have accomplished it Connette is the obvious choice. How anyone could think otherwise after the past two games is beyond me. It might be the wrong choice, but it's an obvious choice (practice performances only seen by the coaches not with standing).

uh_no
11-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Based on what they have accomplished against who they have accomplished it Connette is the obvious choice.

you're right...we should just forget a non-memorable outing against GT, a 4 INT effort against PITT, and instead only consider his 1 successful drive yesterday, and the single pass he threw to reeves in the flat against UVA that happened to turn into a TD

I'm curious, what exactly has he accomplished and against whom?

Look, I love what he's done for the team this year. I love what he brings to the team when he comes into the game. Do I think one can make a case for connette to start? sure....but to say that he is the "obvious" choice, and that it is inconsiderable for boone to start is just.....inconsiderable....

both QBs had some ups and lots of downs yesterday. The coaches could feasibly go with either one. I like boone, you like connette...let's not pretend that the other's position is invalid....

Dukeblue91
11-10-2013, 10:26 PM
One of the best things about yesterday: State fans have to live with it for SEVEN years. The next Duke-State game is in 2020.

Is that for real?
That's just crazy. :mad:

jv001
11-10-2013, 10:29 PM
you're right...we should just forget a non-memorable outing against GT, a 4 INT effort against PITT, and instead only consider his 1 successful drive yesterday, and the single pass he threw to reeves in the flat against UVA that happened to turn into a TD

Look, I love what he's done for the team this year. I love what he brings to the team when he comes into the game. Do I think one can make a case for connette to start? sure....but to say that he is the "obvious" choice, and that it is inconsiderable for boone to start is just.....inconsiderable....

both QBs had some ups and lots of downs yesterday. The coaches could feasibly go with either one. I like boone, you like connette...let's not pretend that the other's position is invalid....

Well, neither have played great, but Boone has been down right terrible the last two game. For us to beat Miami, the one Cut chooses better play better than just average. Boone to me, has more talent, but is making some very poor decisions. And the receivers haven't helped either QB with those drops. I trust Cut to make the best choice in order for us to win a very big game against Miami. GoDuke!

jimsumner
11-10-2013, 10:44 PM

Connette did indeed throw four picks against Pitt. He also threw for four touchdowns and ran for two more. He was the only quarterback for a team that scored 55 points against a likely bowl team.

Connette threw for 324 yards and three touchdowns and ran for two more in a 38-31 win over Troy. Pretty sure Duke needed all five of the touchdowns he accounted for. Connette also led Duke back from a 14-14 tie against Memphis, after Boone went down with his collarbone injury.

If we're eliminating Connette for the four interceptions against Pitt, shouldn't we eliminate Boone for seven picks in two games?

Which would leave Duke in pretty dire straits.

Boone has been very good at times this year. So has Connette. Boone has been pretty shaky at times this year So, has Connette.

Duke has five days to figure it out and it needs to get figured out. But I don't think it's all that clear cut. I suspect the starting nod could go either way and more strongly suspect we'll see both until such a time as one guy plays well enough that we're not having this debate.

uh_no
11-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Connette did indeed throw four picks against Pitt. He also threw for four touchdowns and ran for two more. He was the only quarterback for a team that scored 55 points against a likely bowl team.

Connette threw for 324 yards and three touchdowns and ran for two more in a 38-31 win over Troy. Pretty sure Duke needed all five of the touchdowns he accounted for. Connette also led Duke back from a 14-14 tie against Memphis, after Boone went down with his collarbone injury.

If we're eliminating Connette for the four interceptions against Pitt, shouldn't we eliminate Boone for seven picks in two games?

Which would leave Duke in pretty dire straits.

Boone has been very good at times this year. So has Connette. Boone has been pretty shaky at times this year So, has Connette.

Duke has five days to figure it out and it needs to get figured out. But I don't think it's all that clear cut. I suspect the starting nod could go either way and more strongly suspect we'll see both until such a time as one guy plays well enough that we're not having this debate.

That's all i'm saying. I was intentionally cherry picking the worst of connette to counter the cherry picking of Boone's worst from the season as overwhelming justification of his potentially not getting the nod. Maybe we beat pitt with boone, maybe we lose to UVA and NCSU without connette....One thing I'm confident in, at least, is that we're not 7-2 without both guys on the team.

jimsumner
11-10-2013, 11:11 PM
That's all i'm saying. I was intentionally cherry picking the worst of connette to counter the cherry picking of Boone's worst from the season as overwhelming justification of his potentially not getting the nod. Maybe we beat pitt with boone, maybe we lose to UVA and NCSU without connette....One thing I'm confident in, at least, is that we're not 7-2 without both guys on the team.

Perhaps we would have better discussions if we didn't intentionally cherry pick facts to support our positions.

You very specifically asked for examples of what Connette had accomplished this season and I specifically answered that question.

uh_no
11-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Perhaps we would have better discussions if we didn't intentionally cherry pick facts to support our positions.

Or, perhaps, avoided suggesting that opposing viewpoints are not only wrong, but altogether insupportable. It was not the opinion I took exception with, but the degree with which the opposing opinion was dismissed, and with a level of reasoning we might call hand-wavy. Thus all I really wanted to show was that there was even a glimmer of evidence that my opinion was reasonable, which I did by pulling some of the worst of Connette's worst. Perhaps I didn't do as well of a job as I would have hoped.

TL/DR:
person A) boone has been bad, connette has been great: unimaginable to start boone!
person B) hold on one second, connette has been bad too, one can still make a case for boone

Henderson
11-10-2013, 11:49 PM
During his press conference after the NCSU game, Cut said something to the effect that he anticipates that both QBs will make contributions to the effort going forward.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2013, 07:24 AM
During his press conference after the NCSU game, Cut said something to the effect that he anticipates that both QBs will make contributions to the effort going forward.

He also said that the coaches had to figure out why the practices did not translate to game day the last few weeks. Boone has apparently looked good in practice, even full-speed best-on-best.

I agree, I am sure we will see both.

BlueDevilinNYC
11-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Duke has never lost a game in which Boone has started. This in itself is reason enough to call him the "starter" imo. If he goes out next week and has two/three bad drives in a row, switch it over to Brandon. But don't mess with good results (wins)

killerleft
11-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Since Boone has had two bad games in a row, I would start Connette. His general toughness and ability to turn bad plays into good ones gets him the nod from me. His instincts seem better, as well. I WOULD say, however, that no matter where I stayed last night, nobody is accusing me of being one of the best quarterback coaches in the game.;)

Both QBs deserved better completion rates than they got. Our guys dropped several passes that may have made things much easier offensively for us.

Edwards! Who's Edwards!? I sure know now:p

flyingdutchdevil
11-11-2013, 12:40 PM
...I watched the second half of the VT game and the second half of the NCSU game. And Boone just looked really bad. I don't think there is a way to really describe it any other way. When Connette came in, he looked so much better: passing accuracy, passing to the appropriate player, and toughness. His one bad fumble was really good D by NCSU.

I am not trying to be controversial, but what does Boone offer than Connette doesn't? I'm sure my small sample size is too small to draw conclusions, but I loved what I saw with Connette and not so much with Boone.

uh_no
11-11-2013, 01:02 PM
...I watched the second half of the VT game and the second half of the NCSU game. And Boone just looked really bad. I don't think there is a way to really describe it any other way. When Connette came in, he looked so much better: passing accuracy, passing to the appropriate player, and toughness. His one bad fumble was really good D by NCSU.

I am not trying to be controversial, but what does Boone offer than Connette doesn't? I'm sure my small sample size is too small to draw conclusions, but I loved what I saw with Connette and not so much with Boone.

The ability to hit receivers in stride deep, and the ability to play near perfectly at times (see Navy). He hasn't played like that lately, for sure, but the ceiling is higher.

The argument is largely if boone is "off" he's not not that much worse than connette (yesterday's all around ineffectiveness for both parties is good evidence of this), but when he is on, he's far better than connette, so take the risk to start the game....best case, he opens it up with some long balls early, worst case, he's ineffective and we give connette a shot.

My argument is that it's more likely to throw the defense off bringing in connette to follow boone than the other way around. So start with the more standard QB and bring in the unique one later....and that's a compliment to connette...that what he brings is difficult to adjust to on the fly....so if he starts, we loose that "element of surprise"....since teams get into the mindset of who's starting.

if they see boone coming out on the first drive they go "okay we're playing boone today" then connette comes in and gives them a surprise left hook out of nowhere....

Wander
11-11-2013, 01:19 PM
I know this feels weird to say for a Cutcliffe-coached team, but the truth is that we just don't have great quarterback play. It's a huge testament to the other positions that we've had this good of a season thus far. Consider: we're tied for dead last in the ACC with 15 interceptions thrown. There are, of course, other statistics that are not nearly as bad, but the bottom line is our passing game is decent but not great. I don't know if there's a great solution - probably just keep using both guys.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-11-2013, 01:43 PM
I know this feels weird to say for a Cutcliffe-coached team, but the truth is that we just don't have great quarterback play. It's a huge testament to the other positions that we've had this good of a season thus far. Consider: we're tied for dead last in the ACC with 15 interceptions thrown. There are, of course, other statistics that are not nearly as bad, but the bottom line is our passing game is decent but not great. I don't know if there's a great solution - probably just keep using both guys.
I would add the QB is one of the positions where injuries have influenced what's going on in terms of all sorts of aspects of play this season. Both starters have had injuries which have interred with their development over the course of the season. And one who could be a great has been out for the season.

mike88
11-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Brandon Connette has the 16th highest quarterback ranking in the country. He had a bad game vs Pitt in terms of interceptions, but he has shown an outstanding arm and lately, his decision making has been excpetional.

flyingdutchdevil
11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
The ability to hit receivers in stride deep, and the ability to play near perfectly at times (see Navy). He hasn't played like that lately, for sure, but the ceiling is higher.

The argument is largely if boone is "off" he's not not that much worse than connette (yesterday's all around ineffectiveness for both parties is good evidence of this), but when he is on, he's far better than connette, so take the risk to start the game....best case, he opens it up with some long balls early, worst case, he's ineffective and we give connette a shot.

My argument is that it's more likely to throw the defense off bringing in connette to follow boone than the other way around. So start with the more standard QB and bring in the unique one later....and that's a compliment to connette...that what he brings is difficult to adjust to on the fly....so if he starts, we loose that "element of surprise"....since teams get into the mindset of who's starting.

if they see boone coming out on the first drive they go "okay we're playing boone today" then connette comes in and gives them a surprise left hook out of nowhere....

Thanks for the hefty response. Good to know that about the two QBs. To sum up, Boone is more risky but potentially gives a higher reward. Looks like Cutcliffe will need to read the tea leaves on Friday night!

killerleft
11-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Brandon Connette has the 16th highest quarterback ranking in the country. He had a bad game vs Pitt in terms of interceptions, but he has shown an outstanding arm and lately, his decision making has been excpetional.

Connette is also poised to become Duke's all-time rushing touchdown king. No telling what he could do if he was any good at anything.:cool: He is the Rodney Dangerfield of Duke Football!:)

mkline09
11-11-2013, 08:23 PM
I think a lot of the concern over quarterback play is reasonable but the biggest concern I've had from the offense is their aversion to running the ball. Now in years past that wasn't what you wanted but this is a good running team. Yet in the last two game they have strayed away from that. Cutcliffe during his Sunday teleconference addressed that very issues and said that the deployment of opposing defenses made them feel the passing options were open to them so they took them. However, he admitted that the offense is much more consistent and comfortable when they establishing he run, which he said they were going to try to do going forward. I think if you do that you take pressure off either QB and allow them to ease into the passing game. I would guess Boone will start but I'd be surprised if Connette and Boone don't alternate.

CameronBlue
11-11-2013, 08:38 PM

VT's defense was exceptional, State's pretty good. Reflexively I would have said that Miami has a defense somewhere in between, definitely above average, that is until it made Logan Thomas look like a Heisman candidate. But Boone's lack of execution, the ability to disguise his intent and misdirect against good defenses has been demonstrated for 2 straight games. Connette definitely seems on the upswing. Were it my call, Connette would get the nod. His decision making has been superb as noted and even a 3 and out is better than an INT for obvious reasons. Keep mistakes to a minimum and let Monday prove to be the difference in the battle of field position. For that reason I prefer Connette as a starter but both will play and both need to be successful for Duke to have a chance IMO. I don't see one or the other tossing up a 300+ yard, 4 TD, 0 pick type of performance. Hopefully Miami's D makes me eat those words.

FerryFor50
11-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Start Boone. Play Connette in "wild devil" packages, where he is a legitimate dual threat. Sub Connette in if Boone struggles. There are worse problems to have than two starting calibre QBs.

Scorp4me
11-11-2013, 09:30 PM

I was going to reply but it looks like jim beat me to it. It's not just the int's that are hurting Boone. The offense stalls with him. Take a look at the NC State game. 3 int's and when you take out the early strike to Crowder that was basically it. Same with the VaTech game. You mentioned Connette's 4 int's against Pitt...but look at what else he did in the game. Even his fumble in the State game he had the offense moving for the first time since the 1st quarter it felt like

Everyone says Boone has more potential and I certainly believed that in the beginning. But I just don't see it now. In addition to being much more of a dual threat, Connette seems to have the better arm. More accurate in the short passes and we seem to throw down field more when he is in the game.

I'm not sure why, but the offense just seems to respond better when Connette is in the game lately. He seems to be making better decisions and executing with more confidence. I like them both, I love that they seem to be each other's biggest supporters. And as I said, I don't get to see the practices, but Connette did great when he was the starter. Why leave him on the sidelines when Boone is struggling...especially if he may bring more potential to the field.

Maybe he starts and falls apart I don't know, but that kid is a warrior. Just find it hard to believe.

gep
11-11-2013, 09:55 PM
(I don't think this comment is off-limits)... Could Boone still have after-effects from the earlier injury? After all, he started in a game after the injury in which he wasn't expected to play at all...:confused:

OldPhiKap
11-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Start Boone. Play Connette in "wild devil" packages, where he is a legitimate dual threat. Sub Connette in if Boone struggles. There are worse problems to have than two starting calibre QBs.

I think this is right. Maybe plan to play Boone the first two series, and Connette get third (regardless). Both know it is coming, neither takes it personally.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-11-2013, 10:06 PM
(I don't think this comment is off-limits)... Could Boone still have after-effects from the earlier injury? After all, he started in a game after the injury in which he wasn't expected to play at all...:confused:
This is certainly possible. Neither he nor Brandon have had a full, normal season to develop normally. Injuries have interrupted their development during the season.

Newton_14
11-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Or, perhaps, avoided suggesting that opposing viewpoints are not only wrong, but altogether insupportable. It was not the opinion I took exception with, but the degree with which the opposing opinion was dismissed, and with a level of reasoning we might call hand-wavy. Thus all I really wanted to show was that there was even a glimmer of evidence that my opinion was reasonable, which I did by pulling some of the worst of Connette's worst. Perhaps I didn't do as well of a job as I would have hoped.

TL/DR:
person A) boone has been bad, connette has been great: unimaginable to start boone!
person B) hold on one second, connette has been bad too, one can still make a case for boone

FWIW, I got where you were going in your original post. That being, it is not clear cut either way. I think one thing we all can agree on is, if we don't get better QB play from somebody, in our next 4 games, than we just got in our last two games, we have a great chance to finish 1-3 from here on out. No one wants that. Miami is struggling but still has enough talent to beat us if our offense can't get back on track. Wake is capable, and it would be similar to the State game if our QB's struggle like they have recently, and UNC has suddenly figured out how to play FB again. We will have a hard time there even with good QB play.

I still think the offense is more dangerous overall if we have the good/great version of Anthony Boone behind center. Not sure what is going on with him, but we need him to figure it out fast and get back on his game. With as good as our defense is playing now, we can beat anyone left if our offense get's back on track. I like Connette a lot, but I just think as a full time QB, Boone has better throwing talent. I do love the "Connette Package" inside the 10, and in 4th and short situations. The guy is just an unbelieveable runner. That cutback Saturday to literally will himself into the endzone was one heck of a play. I am not sure any other QB in the nation would have had the guts to try it. 99.9% would have stayed committed to the outside line Brandon was taking at the time, and most would not have gotten in. I watched the replay several times, and I think he may well have gotten in had he stayed the course, but it would have been tough. I am not sure that people realize the degree of difficulty there on the cutback. I thought he was toast.

As I told a couple of State buddies today at work, if we had gotten the "good Anthony Boone" the last two games, we would have certainly blown out both Va Tech and NC State in laughers. I fully believe that. This team is knocking on the door of something special. One of both of our QB's need to finish the year strong, playing the type of Football both are capable of playing.

The good thing? We have one of the best QB Coaches on the planet to help them figure it out.

uh_no
11-11-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure why, but the offense just seems to respond better when Connette is in the game lately.

the numbers seem to tell a different story on that front

3 plays 0 yds punt
3 plays 5 yards punt
6 plays 26 yards punt

Connette's first 4 drives.

I certainly understand the emotional argument....connette had the big 4th down TD a few weeks ago, and then had the drive when we needed it today....but does boone get that conversion? or does he go on a drive as the NCSU defense tires? nobody knows.

devildeac
11-11-2013, 10:41 PM
A victory good enough to get one of the nurses I work with to abandon the Pack this year (in the middle of the game!) and start wearing Pantome 287 and hats with blue and/or white horns.

:cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-11-2013, 11:03 PM
FWIW, I got where you were going in your original post. That being, it is not clear cut either way. I think one thing we all can agree on is, if we don't get better QB play from somebody, in our next 4 games, than we just got in our last two games, we have a great chance to finish 1-3 from here on out. No one wants that. Miami is struggling but still has enough talent to beat us if our offense can't get back on track. Wake is capable, and it would be similar to the State game if our QB's struggle like they have recently, and UNC has suddenly figured out how to play FB again. We will have a hard time there even with good QB play.

I still think the offense is more dangerous overall if we have the good/great version of Anthony Boone behind center. Not sure what is going on with him, but we need him to figure it out fast and get back on his game. With as good as our defense is playing now, we can beat anyone left if our offense get's back on track. I like Connette a lot, but I just think as a full time QB, Boone has better throwing talent. I do love the "Connette Package" inside the 10, and in 4th and short situations. The guy is just an unbelieveable runner. That cutback Saturday to literally will himself into the endzone was one heck of a play. I am not sure any other QB in the nation would have had the guts to try it. 99.9% would have stayed committed to the outside line Brandon was taking at the time, and most would not have gotten in. I watched the replay several times, and I think he may well have gotten in had he stayed the course, but it would have been tough. I am not sure that people realize the degree of difficulty there on the cutback. I thought he was toast.

As I told a couple of State buddies today at work, if we had gotten the "good Anthony Boone" the last two games, we would have certainly blown out both Va Tech and NC State in laughers. I fully believe that. This team is knocking on the door of something special. One of both of our QB's need to finish the year strong, playing the type of Football both are capable of playing.

The good thing? We have one of the best QB Coaches on the planet to help them figure it out.
When you think about this question of QB health and performance, think back to Ryan Kelly's return to the basketball team last year. He had an out of this world performance his first game back and was not able to rise to that level again. I mention this to say that Anthony came back sooner than expected because Brandon was injured. He had a fantastic game. After that he has needed to catch up in all the development he missed while out. Then consider Brandon who was developing to a pretty high level before that injury after practice eventually caused him to take himself out of the Navy game just before kickoff. His rhythm and development were interrupted. Now they both are trying to get reestablished on the field.

I don't know what we'll see Saturday, but I look forward to it with some optimism... this is not the past!

Wander
11-12-2013, 01:02 AM

Connette is also poised to become Duke's all-time rushing touchdown king. No telling what he could do if he was any good at anything. He is the Rodney Dangerfield of Duke Football!

Connette's stats are inflated by how Cutcliffe uses him - i.e., often subbing him into the game in goal-to-go situations when Boone or Renfree drove down the field. I'm not complaining about that strategy or suggesting that Connette is a bad player - I'd probably lean toward starting him to be honest - but these types of stats aren't good indicators.

jjasper0729
11-12-2013, 07:36 AM

I respectfully have to disagree with the bolded statement. When they showed the replay (and I rewatched it on watchespn), he had shifted the ball from his left arm to his right arm and he flat out dropped the ball as the tackler was wrapping up his legs. It wasn't punched out or stripped. He just dropped it.

killerleft
11-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Connette's stats are inflated by how Cutcliffe uses him - i.e., often subbing him into the game in goal-to-go situations when Boone or Renfree drove down the field. I'm not complaining about that strategy or suggesting that Connette is a bad player - I'd probably lean toward starting him to be honest - but these types of stats aren't good indicators.

I would agree that stats are very often used incorrectly. But the 16th ranked passer in the land, who also scores rushing touchdowns at an alarming rate, has something special going for him. He's not a gifted quarterback, but Coach Cut uses him liberally. He's not a gifted runner, but Coach Cut uses him liberally. He's just one of those guys who consistently produces at a higher level than his skillset indicates he will.

If you looked back at many of the players who scored lots of touchdowns through the years, they were used just as Connette is used at Duke. Lots of them were fullbacks or specialty backs.

I highlighted the stat from mike88 and my own observation to point out that Brandon Connette is on the field for a reason. He just gets things done. I'd give him the start, but that's just a fan yapping like everybody else. I'm perfectly fine with Boone coming back, but we need the confident and decisive Boone, the one who follows his instincts and follows through when he throws the ball. I wonder, too, if he still isn't recovered fully, though.

mike88
11-12-2013, 11:57 AM

The NCAA passing efficiency is ((8.4 x yards) + (330xTDs) + (100xcompletions) - (200xINT)) / Attempts.

Looking at that you might see how Connette's stats could be inflated by his usage (particularly for passing touchdowns), but this year (and his 16th rated efficiency is for this year only), he has spent a good bit of time as the sole quarterback (and for the Navy game, he was out, so he didn't get the usage "advantage there).

Here are the numbers:
Games Eff Completions/ Attempts/ INT % Yards TDs Avg Yards
Anthony Boone 6 117.4 99-159-9 62.3 1061 5 176.8
Brandon Connette 8 156.8 83-131-6 63.4 1128 12 141.0

Doing a quick scan of the box scores, Connette had a short (<10 yards) TD pass vs NCCU; another one vs Pitt, and two vs Troy - only in the NCCU game was that "special usage"
Boone had a short one vs Navy (when Connette was out) and one vs UVA
So I don't think we can attribute the differences just to usage in the red zone (Connette often runs it in, and that doesn't affect passing efficiency)

BC has had more touchdown passes; Boone has had more interceptions. Connette has more yards per completion (13.6 vs 10.7)- completion % is the same.

Before Boone's injury, I would have rated him a much better passer, but BC really stepped up his game after the interceptions at Pitt.