PDA

View Full Version : Mike Krzyzewski's image change - ESPN.com Article

Atlanta Duke
11-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Nice article on Coach K

Mike Krzyzewski's image change
The Duke coach hasn't altered who he is, but the perception of him has softened...

Talk to those who know him best and they'll tell you Krzyzewski's personality hasn't changed much in his 38 years as a head coach. What's different is that the public is starting to know his personality too.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/preview2013/story/_/id/9945053/duke-mike-krzyzewski-showing-world-softer-side

My guess is the change in public perception is mostly due to the Olympics. So much for the opinion that I, among others, had that he needed to focus solely on how to compete with UNC and not be distracted by coaching Team USA. He apparently has a clue what works best.

Regardless of the reason, I am glad it did not take retirement for the hating on Coach K to diminish.

ChrisP
11-09-2013, 07:36 AM
It was a nice article - thanks for posting it as I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of clicking on the "comments" link at the end and had to read some truly dreadful garbage from some haters but...whatever. Haters gonna hate.

Anyway, I have always been a bit amused whenever I hear someone say that Coach K is arrogant. Obviously, most of us around these parts are fairly biased to believe he's the most awesome human being on the planet (after our moms, of course), and I know there are people who just won't like him no matter what, but I have always found K to be very genuine and, as we all know, at times, even self-deprecating and dare I say, "charming". I believe that the arrogance charge comes from two sources: First, he does not suffer fools gladly. If a sports reporter asks a particularly stupid or insulting question - I'm sorry, when a sports reporter asks a particularly stupid or insulting question, K tends to let him have it. In those instances, I've heard Coach sound a bit prickly, and the genteel southerner in me (yeah it's in there...somewhere) cringes a bit but of course, I also admire that he doesn't take any crap and that he stands up for his guys and what he believes in.

And the second reason he's been labeled "arrogant" - and the one I find most interesting - is that, when he feels he has a really good team, or that his team has just played really well and won a big game, he has the audacity to say so! Mon dieu! I mean, can you believe the cajones on the guy? Saying he has a team that's really good or proclaiming that they could even win a national championship? Give me a break! Where's that "aw shucks, we'll just be lucky if they let us in the gym" schtick we all know and love??? Oh wait, wrong shade of blue and about 8 miles off, I guess.

But really, what is it about confidence and a straightforward, unapologetic approach that's "arrogant" exactly? I suppose a lot of successful, confident people are unfairly painted with the same brush, but I find such an approach refreshing and frankly, it makes me really, really proud to be a Coach K fan and a Duke fan when I hear him talk about his team or his program in such positive terms. He's been incredibly successful as a coach at Duke, he's had great players and great teams. What - is he NOT supposed to acknowledge that? Is he supposed to...apologize? Is that what the haters want? Because really, I don't get it.

shereec
11-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Great article!
Years ago I had a co-worker who was a unc fan - you know the kind - never missed an opportunity to bash anything Duke, believed every negative rumor. In fact, the first time I met her I'd just started with the company and the person introducing me around the office pointed out that I was going to be gone the following week to travel to the 1999 Final Four. Her response was not welcome to the company or nice to meet you, but "bully for you. I hope you come home with a broken heart." I did, but that's not the point.

On one business trip she sat next to Coach K and they apparently talked during the whole flight. The experience created a real crisis for her - she reluctantly had to admit that she liked the man and he was nothing like what she had always believed. She spent months trying to reconcile her hatred of Duke with her admiration of the man.

And I got my revenge for years by never saying anything negative about the heels, but always showing up in her office doorway following a unc loss, only to talk about anything except basketball. She would spend the entire conversation with a scared look on her face just waiting for me to say something. HA!

weezie
11-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Myron and CL are a couple of borefests but the video of K speaking at Midnight Madness was wonderful.
He almost always makes me get teary-eyed. He could read the phone book and I'd be all misty.
I forwarded it to my (actual) brother from Detroit who will be accompanying me to the wolverine game in a few weeks. He responded with delight at the prospect of his first visit to the Cathedral of Cameron which is guaranteed to be bursting with sweaty, loud, hellish fun. I'm considering nominating myself for Sister of the Year. (Thanks to husband of weezie.)
How lucky are we Duke fans?

Now, back to raking leaves....